Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree1918Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 09:22 PM   #1201
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApocalipsisR View Post
Its going to be a pretty interesting week.

D is at his first Boy Scout resident camp. Due to restrictions I couldn't be there because S couldn't be there. I'm sort of freaking out. He has never slept anywhere without us
I'm not worried about him. He is pretty independent and and hopefully this experience will help him mature.
Yesterday we dropped him off and helped him get set up because his tent buddy was not going to be there until later. In a way I'm gald I'm not there, because with all the rain we have been having the mosquitos are out with a vengeance. Holy cow batman!
Yesterday in just a couple hours and with a lot of insect repellent, we got bitten like the dickens. S didn't get as much insect repellent on him becasue he was out running to join the older kids. I try to spray myself as much as I could because mosquitos LOVE me . BUt I couldn't reach my back and forgot to tell DH to spray me there.

Sooooooo, needless to say I'm covered with bites from the shoulders to the ankles in the back. The back of my thighs and my butt were particularly "juicy" targets LOL and..... I know this might be TMI but when I was straddling the bench at the picnic table I got a few bites in the inside of my thighs
Sorry about the skeeter bites, Caro! They like my mom, too.

I hope D has fun at Boy Scout camp. He's a big boy and will do fine.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:49 PM   #1202
Lil' RAD Taquito

I'm a bit worried because we are having a lot of rain this week and thunderstorms
Old 06-24-2013, 09:51 PM   #1203
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Mama View Post
Hi! Caro, no, it wasn't that friend. This is another friend who isn't normally like that, so not sure what ruffled her feathers. I still grin when I use that term in relation to the chicken talk! LOL!

Yes, Hedgie, hard year for sure! You were in the chicken convo & were asking good questions! I still want to know what a FRAY is! LOL! Who are the HP & BH friends? All I can think of is Harry Potter & Bethany Hollie (my daughter!).

So glad storms were averted by all. Did tornadoes touch down anywhere Granny? Storms hit nearby Miss I? Why do you add an -e to make tornado & potato plural?

Caro, I honestly don't know how in the world our goldfish keep on going. And one lone guppy in a bowl. Natalie isn't attached to the fish so if we lose one she's not sad. More grossed out at the thought of the dead fish. Like her mama! LOL! She just wants a dog, as do I.

Well, on the home front, it appears that we could have had a house loan while we were IN bankruptcy once we'd been paying for a year. Now that we are DONE we have to wait 12 months! That's 7/26, so not far away, but still, it's so aggravating.

They've not done much more work since last week. Talked to contractor (who's done most the work himself so far) & he's been sick. Sounded awful with a bad cough. Hope he stays home til he's better. He said someone will come tomorrow to work on the flooring. That will be nice. We just have to figure out what we're going to do & can't do anything til we see how much loan we qualify for.

Want to try to get to bed but waiting on Bethany as usual. Hugs!

Hey Loribelle! Some people just get their beaks out of joint and like to squawk.

There were 5 tornadoes here today. (None near us--the closest one was about 15 miles away.) They weren't big tornadoes and there wasn't a lot of widespread damage, thankfully. One highway was closed due to downed power lines. The worst part was the rain. One town got something like 7 inches of rain in just a couple of hours, causing massive flash flooding, washed out roads, submerged cars, etc. I can't remember how much rain Dad dumped out of our rain gauge this afternoon. It was either 3.5 or 5.5 inches. Everything is REALLY soggy again.

I don't know why we add an -es- when we pluralize tornado and potato. My guess (as a long-ago major in linguistics) is that it is because these words end in a long vowel sound (-oh-). If you don't add the -e-, it looks like tornados or potatos. Following the pronunciation rules of English, the final -o- would then be pronounced as a short -o- rather than a long: tor-nay-dass, po-tay-tass.

If you add -es-, tornadoes, potatoes, that long -o- pronunciation is preserved.

Or it may go back to something in the history and evolution of the English language from Old English. I took a class called History of the English Language in college; it was one of the worst classes I ever had. It could have been interesting, but the professor was an old fart and a real dud. He would face the chalkboard almost the entire class (while he was writing stuff), talking to the board with a pipe in his mouth. And he did NOT like having undergraduates in his courses. All of the undergrads received a grade of C. It's the only grade of C I ever got.

I vaguely remember something about how "a napron" evolved into "an apron." Considering all of my linguistics coursework was 30 years ago, I'm surprised I remember anything. LOL

Last edited by missiowa81; 06-24-2013 at 09:57 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Chef Mama likes this post.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:52 PM   #1204
Vintage Vixen

That last post made my brain hurt--I was digging deep into the gray matter for some REALLY OLD knowledge. LMAO
Chef Mama and Granny Hawkins like this post.
Old 06-24-2013, 09:59 PM   #1205
Lil' RAD Taquito

Quote:
Originally Posted by missiowa81 View Post
That last post made my brain hurt--I was digging deep into the gray matter for some REALLY OLD knowledge. LMAO
Egghead....... LOL

It is interesting to know those things. Or at least try to understand them. As an English language learner, sometimes my head spins trying to make sense of some of this stuff
Old 06-24-2013, 10:02 PM   #1206
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
I'm a bit worried because we are having a lot of rain this week and thunderstorms
Same here! Dad called twice from work to check on us (and the sump pump). It was raining elephants and rhinoceroses (that looks odd, but that's how it's spelled!**) on that side of town. A bunch of businesses next to theirs got flooded today (the business he works for owns the buildings so the tenants were calling the "landlord" for help).

Did you ever get new gutters?

ETA ** I checked my dictionary. Yes, I'm an egghead FOR SURE! lol

Last edited by missiowa81; 06-24-2013 at 10:20 PM..
Old 06-24-2013, 10:14 PM   #1207
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Egghead....... LOL

It is interesting to know those things. Or at least try to understand them. As an English language learner, sometimes my head spins trying to make sense of some of this stuff
It is not an easy language to learn because there have been so many changes over the centuries. In many cases the original spelling of a word was retained, but for whatever reason the pronunciation changed. It's why words like rough, through, and bough are pronounced so differently, even though it looks like they should rhyme.

And we have many words that originated from Latin (and Greek?), which gives us words like psychology (what is that -p- doing there?? ), and anomalies like datum (singular) and data (plural).

I find the subject of language so fascinating.

(P.S. I also took 5 semesters of college Latin. So yes, you can call me egghead. )

Last edited by missiowa81; 06-24-2013 at 10:31 PM..
Old 06-24-2013, 10:16 PM   #1208
Lil' RAD Taquito

Quote:
Same here! Dad called twice from work to check on us (and the sump pump). It was raining elephants and rhinoceroses (that looks odd, but that's how it's spelled!) on that side of town. A bunch of businesses next to theirs got flooded today (the business he works for owns the buildings so the tenants were calling the "landlord" for help).

Did you ever get new gutters?
Nope, because we went from covered with snow to raining almost all the time.
I should just call them and ask them to come look and give me an estimate.

Did I mentioned that our fridge, which we bought less than 2 years ago has stopped making ice just as the summer has begun. And apparently the "guarantee" they sold us didn't cover everything like we told them we wanted ggggggrrrrr
Old 06-24-2013, 10:18 PM   #1209
Lil' RAD Taquito

Okey dokey my dear egghead...lol

Gotta hit the hay cuz we are running around tomorrow early

♥ U
Old 06-24-2013, 10:22 PM   #1210
Vintage Vixen

Nighty night, sweet princess! Have fun tomorrow.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:27 PM   #1211
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Nope, because we went from covered with snow to raining almost all the time.
I should just call them and ask them to come look and give me an estimate.

Did I mentioned that our fridge, which we bought less than 2 years ago has stopped making ice just as the summer has begun. And apparently the "guarantee" they sold us didn't cover everything like we told them we wanted ggggggrrrrr
That's a PITA. Where did you buy it? You might be able to find a local appliance store that does repairs for a reasonable amount.

Our icemaker no longer works either (our fridge isn't that new, however). The line kept freezing up, the water backed up and leaked into the basement, so we just shut it off and now I have to make ice cubes the old-fashioned way. Mom and Dad don't use them much, but they are essential to my existence, even during the winter.
Old 06-24-2013, 11:46 PM   #1212
Vintage Vixen

Well, I didn't get my stamp organization project done. But I put a major dent in it.

I think I need 2 more binders (different colors) to get my favorite stamp sets (mostly Artistic Outpost-AO) organized the way I really want. Then I can use the old black binders for my less favored and the few oddball loose stamps I have.

I was missing 3 or 4 stamps and was hoping I'd find them during this clean up. I only found 1 of them. I hope the others didn't get accidentally lost or thrown out in the flood.

ETA: And I found two stamps that I'm not sure where they belong! One was mounted by me, so it's really baffling. (Later: figured out where one of them belonged. Still baffled by the self-mounted one, however. lol)

Last edited by missiowa81; 06-25-2013 at 12:03 AM..
Old 06-24-2013, 11:57 PM   #1213
Vintage Vixen

Our week just got a little less hectic. Claudette won't be arriving until Thursday. Because she never knows how long it will take her to judge all of her categories at the fair, she had no idea what time she might get here Wednesday night. In time for dinner? Not in time for dinner?

So, since the cousin she is staying with Tuesday night is also doing stuff at the fair on Wednesday (and she also lives much closer to the fairgrounds), Claudette is just going to stay with her Wednesday night as well. She'll come here Thursday morning and we'll have all day together: museum, lunch at Farmer's Daughter's Market, and we can cruise through NewBo City Market because starting this Thursday, they are going to be open at 11:00 a.m. instead of 4:00 p.m.

So far the weather prediction for Thursday is looking nice--in the 80s and no rain. It should be a nice day for running around town.
Granny Hawkins likes this post.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:16 AM   #1214
Lil' RAD Taquito

Afternoon

last night rained elephants and whales in here. Wow the thunder

Everything must be going OK at camp with D because we have not had any calls or anything. I was pretty freaked out last night because of the heavy rain and lightning. I'm sure he is safe and anyway he needs a little roughin' up
Old 06-25-2013, 09:19 AM   #1215
Lil' RAD Taquito

Poor S he didn't get his weekly playdate with his buddies because of the rain.

We are going to see a movie this afternoon and maybe some ice cream afterwards. We are getting our mom and son dates caught up this week
Chef Mama and hedgiemama like this post.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:29 AM   #1216
Duchess of Dork

Quote:
Lori, I know that Granny more than any of us can understand the problem you are having with the neighbor chickens.

I'm of the idea that if they wander into your yard you should make soup with them...LOL
Or Koko Kay Presidente...chicken for the president, which is fried chicken! LOL!
Old 06-25-2013, 10:33 AM   #1217
Duchess of Dork

Quote:
Lori, do you have one of those fish tanks with aerator, light and a bunch of fish-spa goodies?

I told the people in this house that if they want a fish they will have to waith until the end of summer when we go back to a "regular" schedule. Without so many camps and stuff.
Someone gave us the aquarium with guppies and a plecostomus. I think it's 15 gallons. Filter and light, rocks on the bottom and a few fish hiding places Nat has bought. A sign that says "No fishing." I wanted the one that said no skinny dipping! LOL! Guppy named Daisy is in a plain fishbowl. Goldfish named Shamu ate all the other guppies.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:39 AM   #1218
Vintage Vixen

Bonjour, chicas!
Old 06-25-2013, 02:33 PM   #1219
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Took 4 out of 5 grandkids to see Monster's University.
Chef Mama, jor and hedgiemama like this post.
Old 06-25-2013, 02:38 PM   #1220
Die Cut Diva

Hey Miss Iowa,

Had to pop in to say HI! I was thinking of you the other day and wanted to make sure you were ok!!!
jor and hedgiemama like this post.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:32 PM   #1221
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

I no longer have any teenagers. Julie is 20. My baby. Twenty. I'm old.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:51 PM   #1222
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor View Post

LOVE IT!
hedgiemama likes this post.
Old 06-25-2013, 03:56 PM   #1223
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Hawkins View Post
LOVE IT!
That I'm old? - LOL
Chef Mama, Granny Hawkins and missiowa81 like this post.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:06 PM   #1224
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Took 4 out of 5 grandkids to see Monster's University.
Do 4 out of 5 grandkids recommend it? giggle
Old 06-25-2013, 04:07 PM   #1225
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
That I'm old? - LOL
You said it first...
Old 06-25-2013, 04:10 PM   #1226
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Quote:
Do 4 out of 5 grandkids recommend it? giggle
YEP! Now,I need to watch Monster's Inc.
Old 06-25-2013, 04:13 PM   #1227
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

Quote:
I can no longer say I still have a DD in college! That always comforted me...OLD!
Old 06-25-2013, 04:18 PM   #1228
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

Quote:
Afternoon

last night rained elephants and whales in here. Wow the thunder

Everything must be going OK at camp with D because we have not had any calls or anything. I was pretty freaked out last night because of the heavy rain and lightning. I'm sure he is safe and anyway he needs a little roughin' up
I have not had a solid night's sleep between the DD's being home and the thunder for 2 weeks. I feel like I did when I had babies....
Camps always call if there is an issue. They always said to me, please do not call in to speak to the child...it can fuel homesickness.

Where is he at camp?
Old 06-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #1229
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

Quote:
That I'm old? - LOL
No, we are young! I don't feel much different than when I was much younger.. until I look in the mirror!!
Old 06-25-2013, 05:44 PM   #1230
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

Oh boy, here we go again.
Old 06-25-2013, 05:47 PM   #1231
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

heavy rains again tonight, another sleepless nite!
Old 06-25-2013, 05:56 PM   #1232
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Just got word we have another threat of severe weather. We had round 1 this afternoon. Now we have to worry about round 2 until 1 a.m. YUCK.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:01 PM   #1233
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Quote:
Just got word we have another threat of severe weather. We had round 1 this afternoon. Now we have to worry about round 2 until 1 a.m. YUCK.
I saw that.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:01 PM   #1234
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgiemama View Post
heavy rains again tonight, another sleepless nite!

Old 06-25-2013, 06:03 PM   #1235
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

Quote:

I am afraid to look at ours... we have had severe storms here every night this week. Everyone has headaches, migraines from lack of solid sleep. I feel for you darlin'. Humidity here, 75%
Old 06-25-2013, 06:06 PM   #1236
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

We have a stationery front that is not on the move. We will get downpours for the next several days.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:24 PM   #1237
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

I think the systems must be related! I think we have the chance for storms through the rest of the week. I know we have heat advisory for tomorrow. I'm glad I don't have to be outside.
Old 06-25-2013, 06:57 PM   #1238
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
LOVE IT!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jor
That I'm old? - LOL
JoJo, Granny is just getting tired of waiting on us to catch up with her. Your post gave her some hope.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:00 PM   #1239
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
This may be the same system that came through here yesterday. Lots and lots of heavy rain, some wind, and tornadoes. Stay safe! Go to bed with a flashlight in case the power goes out.

Heard today that someone was killed by one of the tornadoes here yesterday; an employee of an auto repair shop that got hit. In a little town southeast of here.
Old 06-25-2013, 07:02 PM   #1240
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camie View Post
Hey Miss Iowa,

Had to pop in to say HI! I was thinking of you the other day and wanted to make sure you were ok!!!
I am golden, Camie my love. Hope you are the same.