Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree1918Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2013, 08:22 PM   #81
Vintage Vixen

Here's exciting news: We might be getting a new washer and dryer this summer!

Mrs. Wig mentioned it to me a while ago. There's nothing wrong with our machines, but they were purchased in 1985 and for some reason this past winter, my mom started to worry about one or both of them conking out on me. I'd say that at 28 years old, they have indeed exceeded their life expectancy.

(I told her I'm more worried about the stove or oven dying; they're original to the house (meaning: 49 years old). If the washer or dryer die, I can go to a laundromat. If the stove dies, I can't go to a stove-o-mat to cook dinner. LOL

Anyway...I think Mr. Wig is on board with the idea of a new washer and dryer! He asked me today if we'd gone to look at any yet (no) . Apparently he's been looking at the ads. Here's why I think he's interested: we have an old refrigerator in the laundry room. It hasn't been used in years because they really didn't need a second fridge and the freezer wasn't defrosting properly. So...Mr. Wig tells us tonight: "If you girls go shopping for a new washer and dryer, choose a place that will deliver the new ones AND take the old ones away, and then offer the guys a $5 tip if they'll also carry out the fridge for you. Then I'll get another shelving unit to put in its place."

I'm like: They are probably not going to carry a full-sized fridge out of a basement for a measly 5 bucks. LOL

We'll see...
Chef Mama and Granny Hawkins like this post.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:30 PM   #82
Vintage Vixen

Since we installed the new towel bar, another 1970s relic is going to the dumpster: one of those floor to ceiling poles to hold towels. The spring in it had broken so it wouldn't stay in place or stand up straight.

Sometimes it's the little things...
Granny Hawkins likes this post.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:52 PM   #83
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

I think it only cost us $15 to have our fridge removed. It can't hurt to ask!
Old 05-04-2013, 10:03 PM   #84
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor View Post
Our electric company will give us $50 for a working fridge (appliance recycling program), but I'm not sure that means they'll carry it out of the basement for us.

Of course, that's assuming it still works. It hasn't even been plugged in in years.

Last edited by missiowa81; 05-04-2013 at 10:23 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 05-04-2013, 10:28 PM   #85
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Yeah--maybe to a couple of beefy young guys who move refrigerators all the time, it's not such a big deal.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:03 AM   #86
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Quote:
Originally Posted by missiowa81 View Post
Our electric company will give us $50 for a working fridge (appliance recycling program), but I'm not sure that means they'll carry it out of the basement for us.

Of course, that's assuming it still works. It hasn't even been plugged in in years.
Ours will.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:36 AM   #87
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Afternoon!

Had to get my summer clothes out of the attic so I asked Bill if he would help me pull some stuff down to get rid of. Took out three lamps, two end tables with glass inserts, a punch bowl, a dollhouse and a few odds and ends. Put that in the car with the rest of our Good Will stuff and off we went. What a great feeling to just pull and toss. I have more things up there I want to get rid of, things need to be organized and I have to combine some things, but we got rid of stuff. I love that feeling.

We have to take some things to put in the motorhome and take Julie's friend home. Then I will go through the two bins of clothes to switch winter/summer. I might get that mostly done today, too. Good feeling.

Last night I baked a batch of brownies to take to my parents. I'll cut them up and freeze them until we go on Thursday or Friday. Also will make choco chip cookies, my spinach casserole (for mom), ziti, meatloaf and a chicken dish. We'll make pulled pork when we get there Friday. Dad loves that and all those things can be frozen and reheated easily.

My brother, SIL and niece were there yesterday and did some more yard work. I knew my brother hadn't seen or talked to my dad since my dad was at his worst. Yesterday Dad was in a good mood, getting around better, eating. I think that made my brother feel better. Maybe he won't be so worried right now. And getting all this stuff done is a bonus, too. Mom's been wanting it done for years and dad said "he'd get to it". Now that he CAN'T, we can do it and he can't say a word. Yes, we're mean like that.
Granny Hawkins, hedgiemama and missiowa81 like this post.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:31 AM   #88
Vintage Vixen

Afternoon!
Old 05-05-2013, 11:32 AM   #89
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Hawkins View Post
Ours will.
Mom says ours won't--last time she checked: the fridge had to be pretty much out on the curb ready to go, but plugged in to prove that the motor works and that it's cooling down.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:35 AM   #90
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Afternoon!

Had to get my summer clothes out of the attic so I asked Bill if he would help me pull some stuff down to get rid of. Took out three lamps, two end tables with glass inserts, a punch bowl, a dollhouse and a few odds and ends. Put that in the car with the rest of our Good Will stuff and off we went. What a great feeling to just pull and toss. I have more things up there I want to get rid of, things need to be organized and I have to combine some things, but we got rid of stuff. I love that feeling.

We have to take some things to put in the motorhome and take Julie's friend home. Then I will go through the two bins of clothes to switch winter/summer. I might get that mostly done today, too. Good feeling.

Last night I baked a batch of brownies to take to my parents. I'll cut them up and freeze them until we go on Thursday or Friday. Also will make choco chip cookies, my spinach casserole (for mom), ziti, meatloaf and a chicken dish. We'll make pulled pork when we get there Friday. Dad loves that and all those things can be frozen and reheated easily.

My brother, SIL and niece were there yesterday and did some more yard work. I knew my brother hadn't seen or talked to my dad since my dad was at his worst. Yesterday Dad was in a good mood, getting around better, eating. I think that made my brother feel better. Maybe he won't be so worried right now. And getting all this stuff done is a bonus, too. Mom's been wanting it done for years and dad said "he'd get to it". Now that he CAN'T, we can do it and he can't say a word. Yes, we're mean like that.

Sounds like you're having a great day, Jo Jo. All of your food plans sound yummy. Your folks will be so appreciative.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #91
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Got an email from my brother and he sounds good, too. I'm feeling better about the situation.
Granny Hawkins and hedgiemama like this post.
Old 05-05-2013, 12:03 PM   #92
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Got an email from my brother and he sounds good, too. I'm feeling better about the situation.
That's ace.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:33 PM   #93
Stazon Splitcoast

Red face

Quote:
Yeah--maybe to a couple of beefy young guys who move refrigerators all the time, it's not such a big deal.
In our area we have Two Men and a Truck.. so when I moved out of a large house they sent a half truck with 2 very tiny men. By the afternoon they were asking for backup..I had been clear about what I needed.

I now (and did before) have major heavy things to move around. I think I will call and say, Send two men.. no truck... But not the little men you sent before. If you send your little men, you need to send 4 little men. I need men who can carry heavy furniture up and down staircases.
Chef Mama likes this post.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:21 PM   #94
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

When Bill and I moved from CA back to the East Coast the Air Force arranged the move. We told the moving company that was contracted that we had a lot of dishes, glasses, etc. I hadn't packed any of the stuff as I was told they would do it for us. No problem them said.

They sent two men. One had broken his arm the day before! It took them literally ALL DAY to pack our stuff. We didn't have a lot of furniture (although we did have the piano) but all the fraglie stuff had to be wrapped. I was glad I wasn't the one paying for all of it!
hedgiemama likes this post.
Old 05-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #95
Duchess of Dork

Quote:
We say "sorted".
I was thinking about it and we do say "sorted out" for get things situated. On the show they use it for so many things and being proper they don't end sentences with prepositions like out! LOL!
Old 05-05-2013, 04:57 PM   #96
Vintage Vixen

After dinner I decided to brave the weekend crowds at Walmart. I needed a hodgepodge of items.

I bought a new toilet brush for the khazi.

Last edited by missiowa81; 05-05-2013 at 07:33 PM..
Chef Mama and jor like this post.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:59 PM   #97
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
When Bill and I moved from CA back to the East Coast the Air Force arranged the move. We told the moving company that was contracted that we had a lot of dishes, glasses, etc. I hadn't packed any of the stuff as I was told they would do it for us. No problem them said.

They sent two men. One had broken his arm the day before! It took them literally ALL DAY to pack our stuff. We didn't have a lot of furniture (although we did have the piano) but all the fraglie stuff had to be wrapped. I was glad I wasn't the one paying for all of it!
What a twit! That takes the biscuit. LOL

Last edited by missiowa81; 05-05-2013 at 05:12 PM..
Old 05-05-2013, 10:26 PM   #98
Duchess of Dork

Quote:

We don't have basements.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:28 PM   #99
Duchess of Dork

Quote:

My dad managed moving companies for years. That would NOT have gone over well with him, I think. He had some gals at the last place (over 20 years in management there for dad) who may have only worked there their whole lives. They were good packers!
Old 05-05-2013, 10:29 PM   #100
Duchess of Dork

Quote:
What a twit! That takes the biscuit. LOL
Aren't you the plucky one?
Old 05-05-2013, 11:19 PM   #101
Vintage Vixen

Blimey! I just finished the chore of getting all of my Nestabilities sorted back into their sets and into a new storage system.

I used to have them on an old bulletin board covered with magnetic vent covers. All of them had to be hastily thrown into a plastic container when we were tearing up my room in order to remove the carpeting. And the bulletin board got wet so it went to the dumpster; but I did save the vent covers.

I cut the vent covers to fit into 8.5x11 plastic sheet protectors that I've had for years. I originally bought them for use in my office. They're a heavy-duty clear plastic, and have a little flap on the top to keep anything from sliding out. I was using them to store scraps of old patterned paper, but decided to go a different route with my scraps so I could use the sheet protectors for my Nesties.

And tickety-boo! Now all of my Nesties are in ONE 1" three-ring binder! It's heavy, so any new Nesties will have to go into a second binder. And I need 2 more vent covers for the final 2 sets (although I think I have another unopened package somewhere), but I can basically cross this project off my to-do list!

And with that done, I am off to New Bedfordshire. Ta ta!
Old 05-06-2013, 07:25 AM   #102
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Top o' the mornin' to ya! Oh wait, that's not what we're doing. . .

Not as sunny this morning. We've got some rain coming in for tomorrow and Wednesday.

Not sure what I should do first today. I have to stop at the grocery store on the way back from getting Julie. Then I'll probably bake the cookies and make the ziti. For now, I'm just going to sit on my bum and faff around.
missiowa81 likes this post.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:26 AM   #103
Vintage Vixen

Quote:

Not as sunny this morning. We've got some rain coming in for tomorrow and Wednesday.

Not sure what I should do first today. I have to stop at the grocery store on the way back from getting Julie. Then I'll probably bake the cookies and make the ziti. For now, I'm just going to sit on my bum and faff around.
Geographically, it's close enough!
Chef Mama and jor like this post.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:27 AM   #104
Vintage Vixen

Morning!
Old 05-06-2013, 12:30 PM   #105
Vintage Vixen

Testing testing...

Bugger it! Bloody site hasn't been posting!
Old 05-06-2013, 12:31 PM   #106
Vintage Vixen

Of course, now it does. lol
Old 05-06-2013, 01:02 PM   #107
Vintage Vixen

Yippee! The other scrapbook paper I ordered (for mom's scrapbook, to replace the papers that got ruined in the flood), matches what I had used before. This includes the two specialty papers: a heavy silver cardstock, and a glimmery white stripe cardstock.

Now I may have to order more. I ordered just a few sheets of both, just in case they were different and I didn't like them.
Chef Mama and Granny Hawkins like this post.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:06 PM   #108
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

AFTERNOON!
Old 05-06-2013, 01:52 PM   #109
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

TESTING
Old 05-06-2013, 02:09 PM   #110
Duchess of Dork

Quote:
Testing testing...

Bugger it! Bloody site hasn't been posting!
Aye, the glaikit it website!
Old 05-06-2013, 02:14 PM   #111
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Mama View Post
Aye, the glaikit it website!
Old 05-06-2013, 02:14 PM   #112
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
AFTERNOON!
Hiya, Mate!
Old 05-06-2013, 02:15 PM   #113
Vintage Vixen

Quote:
TESTING
The site has been quite wonky this afternoon. It's so aggro!
Old 05-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #114
Vintage Vixen

Time for some bangers and mash! (Of which we have none, so we're having salads instead. ) TTFN
Old 05-06-2013, 02:48 PM   #115
Lil' RAD Taquito

Top o' the morning to you all lasses!
Old 05-06-2013, 02:49 PM   #116
Lil' RAD Taquito

Quote:
Since we installed the new towel bar, another 1970s relic is going to the dumpster: one of those floor to ceiling poles to hold towels. The spring in it had broken so it wouldn't stay in place or stand up straight.

Sometimes it's the little things...
Someone is been pole dancing I see......
is that how Mr Wig got on Mrs Wig's good side?
jor likes this post.
Old 05-06-2013, 02:59 PM   #117
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Evening. Weird headache, it feels like someone hit me on top of my head!

Today is certainly more humid, too. Didn't accomplish much at all, but tomorrow is another day.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:04 PM   #118
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE

Quote:

Old 05-06-2013, 03:38 PM   #119
Vintage Vixen

Mrs. Wig and I have been playing Thomas the Train.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:56 PM   #120
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Mrs. Wig and I have been playing Thomas the Train.
What is that?