Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree265Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 10:14 AM   #3561
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturecoastcrafter View Post
Michelle, maybe you have insight on this. Last night as I watched the election, some of the more vocal commentators were tweeting to people in Florida to stay in line and arranging coffee and doughnuts and food to be delivered to the lines. They were tweeting campaign messages. Now, you can't campaign within a certain yardage of the polls, how is it that people can then campaign by tweeting?
Jean, you're right about campaigning outside polling places; and I know talking on cell phones is prohibited inside polling places around here. And in some states, taking photos of actual ballots isn't allowed. But I think the evolution of use of cell phones and social media has introduced new issues that our current laws don't really govern.

I've seen that in schools, too, with state testing. Kids this year for the first time took hundreds of photos of the super secret state test books and posted them online without the adults even noticing, causing a big ruckus. They even delayed release of our test scores while they sorted out what to do about scores for students and schools where there was a lost of test document activity online.

I also will say Florida is a completely different animal when it comes to voting. I am stunned at how long some people had to wait to vote. They need to hire more workers, make more polling places, do something to make that process more efficient for people. That will also help reduce the options for people to tweet and campaign in line.

Ok, thus ends my soapbox for today!

Creativity takes courage.
--Henri Matisse
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-10-2012, 01:57 PM   #3562
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliotstamps View Post
Jean, you're right about campaigning outside polling places; and I know talking on cell phones is prohibited inside polling places around here. And in some states, taking photos of actual ballots isn't allowed. But I think the evolution of use of cell phones and social media has introduced new issues that our current laws don't really govern.

I've seen that in schools, too, with state testing. Kids this year for the first time took hundreds of photos of the super secret state test books and posted them online without the adults even noticing, causing a big ruckus. They even delayed release of our test scores while they sorted out what to do about scores for students and schools where there was a lost of test document activity online.

I also will say Florida is a completely different animal when it comes to voting. I am stunned at how long some people had to wait to vote. They need to hire more workers, make more polling places, do something to make that process more efficient for people. That will also help reduce the options for people to tweet and campaign in line.

Ok, thus ends my soapbox for today!
Unbelievable. Where were the proctors? We have to watch the kids like hawks. Of course, you can buy "spy stuff" online these days. Most of Florida's poll workers are retirees, seriously. Some are older than God. I'm embarrassed to call myself a Floridian outside of Florida. When Milt and I were in Seattle in a cab, the cab driver (who was African) went ballistic on us when we said we were from Florida. He thought we personally knew the guy who shot Travon Martin and that we all were a bunch of gun toting cowboys. Now, when people ask where we are from, I'm answering "All over."

Old 11-10-2012, 03:05 PM   #3563
Glitter Guru

Jacqueline, why is it a loooong weekend? Did you get Veteran's Day off? The second grade had a Veteran's Day program yesterday. One more week and I get a week off for Thanksgiving! They started it a couple of years ago by adding our hurricane days that week and it was so popular that we've had it ever since. It's so nice to have ample time to cook and get ready. I'll attach a pic of my class in the program. My class is wearing the blue star collars.
Attached Thumbnails
veterans-day-program-3.jpg  
Old 11-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #3564
Gallery Gazer

LOL..."gun totin' cowboys".

Yes, Pat, we're off Monday. Woo-hoo!

Didn't get any stamping done today because i spent half my day on the internet ordering goodies, goodies, and more goodies! I said it before and I'll say it again...I'm addicted to 6x6 paper packs. I ordered a bunch more, some embellishments and i don't even remember what else. Then, i downloaded some new songs for my iPod. I did manage to do 2 loads of laundry and make dinner.

Tomorrow we're going to the mall. I have to get a new coat. I think I'm going to need it this year...if the past few weeks are any indication we're in for a cold winter.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:14 AM   #3565
Stazon Splitcoast

I heart 6 by 6 pads, too. Been collecting all month. Just closed out of the prize thread. I was getting way too silly. Having fun, though. I have my fingers crossed for all of you.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:21 AM   #3566
Stazon Splitcoast

You were on roll, Jean! Totally cracked me up.
I love 6x6 pads, as well, but too often, end up bored or ready to move to the next one while I still have tons of paper left.
Maybe we could do a 6x6 paper swap sometime. Like in January.

--Henri Matisse
Old 11-12-2012, 11:22 AM   #3567
Stazon Splitcoast

Or I could just list the ones I have and if any of you want a few sheets, I could send them to you. I just bought Autumn Spice by Lily Bee last week.

--Henri Matisse
Old 11-12-2012, 02:02 PM   #3568
Gallery Gazer

WOO-HOO Michelle! You already won and it's only the first day! Hope some of your luck rubs off on me this year.

Yes...6x6 paper pads rock! I've got 6 or 7 that I'm waiting for. I told you I'm addicted. I keep ordering more! But I find there's always a few pieces that I'm not crazy about so the entire pad doesn't get used up.

So, I cut out a bunch of doily type frames on my silhouette...first batch sucked - ruined just about every one of them. I was trying to be thrifty and did a bunch on a 12x12 page. The second batch (different design) came out better...I seem to have problems when cutting intricate things. I don't understand how some people create those really fancy projects. I can't even cut out a stinkin doily!

Well, gotta go finish getting dinner ready...seasoned pork cubes, 7-layer salad (mmmm) and baked potatoes. Might have a Klondike ice cream bar for dessert. What would I do for a Klondike Bar?

Oh, that's nice, just heard on the news there were four armed robberies within 48 hours here in Wilmington. There are a bunch of crazies here.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:55 AM   #3569
Gallery Gazer

Congrats Paula...i see you were a lucky HYCCT prize winner. Still waiting for them to pick my name. And Jeans, and Pats, and Denises, and Lees! 2 down, four to go.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:27 AM   #3570
Stazon Splitcoast

Gotta share. I think I got the ultimate comment on one of my cards yesterday:

"WOW! I love that! That's my next tattoo!"

Old 11-15-2012, 03:12 PM   #3571
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Gotta share. I think I got the ultimate comment on one of my cards yesterday:

"WOW! I love that! That's my next tattoo!"
I would say she must have REALLY loved it to want to make it permanent! I just put them in my favorites folder.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:42 PM   #3572
Stazon Splitcoast

You guys are all very talented, but don't expect me to tattoo any of your designs on myself anytime in the future! That is def. a big compliment, Jean!

--Henri Matisse
Old 11-16-2012, 02:36 PM   #3573
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliotstamps View Post
You guys are all very talented, but don't expect me to tattoo any of your designs on myself anytime in the future! That is def. a big compliment, Jean!
LOL!
Old 11-17-2012, 12:13 PM   #3574
Gallery Gazer

Spent part of the afternoon working with Christopher on his school project. He wanted to do it at our house because i have all kinds of craft stuff and glitter. We ised the cuttlebug, sizzix star die and the dreaded silhouette to make the pickle, shorts, ping pong paddle and lettering! I even made the paddle myself because there weren't any in the silhouette studio. Jean would be so proud! The book he did his project on is Hank zipzer Life as a ping pong wizard by Henry Winkler (Fonzie). I'll have do attach a pic from my pc, can't do it from my phone.
Attached Thumbnails
hank-zipzer.jpg  

Last edited by jacqueline; 11-17-2012 at 12:34 PM..
Old 11-18-2012, 03:31 AM   #3575
Stazon Splitcoast

Jean is very proud, but I'm not putting needle and ink to it.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:03 AM   #3576
Gallery Gazer

Aw, come on...no tatoo of hank zipzer?
Old 11-18-2012, 09:56 AM   #3577
Stazon Splitcoast

that is awesome, Jacq! I love the giant pickle.

Hope you're all having a good weekend. I spent all afternoon yesterday shopping - picked up a few things for the holidays, got groceries, stopped at the new pet store and got free cat food samples for Eliot - she was not impressed with the first one; we'll see what she thinks of the others!

I attemped to make a Christmas card last night but it was pretty hideous. I need get cracking - I have about 40-45 still to make this year. My goal is to have them done by Dec. 1.

I also need to do some serious housekeeping and, if I have time later, I might make some gingersnaps to take to work this week. I've had a craving for them lately.

--Henri Matisse
Old 11-19-2012, 10:18 AM   #3578
Stazon Splitcoast

Thought I'd better get this out now--might not get another chance. I'm thankful for all of you, my good friends. I hope your Thanksgiving holds special blessings for you all.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:18 AM   #3579
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Thought I'd better get this out now--might not get another chance. I'm thankful for all of you, my good friends. I hope your Thanksgiving holds special blessings for you all.
Right back at you, Jean!

What's everybody's plans for Thanksgiving?
Now that I don't have to work, I'll be spending the day with my cousins - my usual spot for most of the time I've lived in California. It's always a great day, lots of fun, great food and wonderful conversation.

I am making an appetizer and an apple pie, which I'll put together after work on Wednesday, then drive over to the cousins' on Thursday morning. (traffic is much, much better then.)

--Henri Matisse
Old 11-19-2012, 11:19 AM   #3580
Stazon Splitcoast

And while I'm thinking about Jean, I have been brainstorming a bit about where to meet up while you're in LA. Remind me - have you spent much time in LA before? Are there any must-see, must-do things on your list while you're in town?

--Henri Matisse
Old 11-19-2012, 01:59 PM   #3581
Gallery Gazer

Congrats Denise! You won a HYCCT prize! Three down three (or four) more to go. Fingers crossed for everyone - especially me since I didn't win anything last year - yes, I'm still griping about that. It seems like everybody won something except little ol me. Pity party.

So glad you don't have to work Michelle and are able to spend the holiday with family. I'm taking a half day Wednesday and am going to make a mince meat pie so it'll be finished. Besides, the bird will be in the oven. I'm just making turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes and maybe broccoli or one more thing that Joe wants. it'll just be the two of us so I don't want to over do it.

I echo Jean and thank all of you for another wonderful year of friendship and always fun chit chat. I would love for us all to meet up one day all together somewhere. One of us would end up arrested I'm sure. Probably Denise (or Jean) LOL. Sweet Jean would probably be able to talk her way out of it though!
Old 11-19-2012, 02:17 PM   #3582
Glitter Guru

My family is coming to my house again this year for Thanksgiving. I'm cooking most of the dinner and my sister is bringing dessert and if her family wants it -- green bean casserole. I'm providing the usual fare -- turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes & gravy, mashed sweet potatoes (because my mom requested them), peas, and walnut bread. One of the reasons we bought this house is because it has a big dining room where we can all eat comfortably.

Had about a two hour visit from a red-shouldered hawk today.

Wishing you all a blessed Thanksgiving. I cherish your friendships so much!
Attached Thumbnails
hawk-2.jpg  
Old 11-19-2012, 05:42 PM   #3583
Stazon Splitcoast

Awww (((HUGS))) to all of you. I echo all of your sentiments. I feel so lucky to have our little group. I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

--Henri Matisse
Old 11-19-2012, 05:43 PM   #3584
Stazon Splitcoast

And Pat, that bird is beautiful!

--Henri Matisse
Old 11-21-2012, 04:37 AM   #3585
Glitter Guru

Enabler alert. Cut at Home is having 6x6 pads for $2.99. I think they are all My Mind's Eye. My Mind's Eye - Paper for scrapbooking
Old 11-21-2012, 08:10 AM   #3586
Gallery Gazer

Woo-Hoo - we have another winner! Queen Jean won HYCCT Copic prize (lucky duck)!

Love your fluffy feathered friend Pat. He's cute!

Happy Thanksgiving eveyone - happy travels! Be safe.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:15 AM   #3587
Stazon Splitcoast

Happy Thanksgiving, Jacq!!!
And go check the prize thread

I'm working today; full day with plenty to do to keep me distracted. Tonight I'm making appetizers and pie for the big feast tomorrow.

--Henri Matisse
Old 11-21-2012, 09:21 AM   #3588
Glitter Guru

Well, you got me, Michelle. I just checked out the prize thread and see that all of you have won something. I see Denise, you, Paula, Jean, and Jacqueline. Yay for you all!
Old 11-21-2012, 09:37 AM   #3589
Stazon Splitcoast

I am so excited for Jacqueline! Well, for everyone, really, but especially her, since she didn't win a thing last year.

It's like a little early Christmas present!

Ok, must really go back to work now. Have a great day everyone.

--Henri Matisse
Old 11-21-2012, 12:14 PM   #3590
Gallery Gazer

Happy dance! I am so excited - and, I like Verve! I've got a few stamp sets and dies from them. I'm also totally hooked on My Favorite Things. I got VIP status after 2 orders there. Congrats to everyone! Are there more prizes for the people that did all of the challenges or did Lydia get through everything now? I'm not sure how it's been working.

Got off work at noon today and went to the grocery store (again) for a few more items. That way, I won't have to go all week. Joe's going to eat like a king! Going to make a mince meat pie tonight and get a few things together.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:42 PM   #3591
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueline View Post
Happy dance! I am so excited - and, I like Verve! I've got a few stamp sets and dies from them. I'm also totally hooked on My Favorite Things. I got VIP status after 2 orders there. Congrats to everyone! Are there more prizes for the people that did all of the challenges or did Lydia get through everything now? I'm not sure how it's been working.

Got off work at noon today and went to the grocery store (again) for a few more items. That way, I won't have to go all week. Joe's going to eat like a king! Going to make a mince meat pie tonight and get a few things together.
I've never ordered from Verve, but I am a pretty big fan of the MFT - their cardstock is really nice.

--Henri Matisse
Old 11-21-2012, 12:51 PM   #3592
Glitter Guru

I've never ordered cardstock from MFT. I'll have to go check it out.
Old 11-21-2012, 12:56 PM   #3593
Stazon Splitcoast

It's not particularly cheap (I actually did some cost calculations awhile back and found it, Gina K and PTI to all be about the same price per sheet, if I recall correctly) but it holds up really well as a card base, and they have some great colors. It is a heavier weight than SU. It can be a little harder to use punches with because of that, but dies cut beautifully.

--Henri Matisse
Old 11-21-2012, 12:56 PM   #3594
Stazon Splitcoast

Is the MFT boutique anywhere close to you, Pat? I know they are in Florida, but don't really know where. If it's close, you could check it out in person!

--Henri Matisse
Old 11-21-2012, 01:04 PM   #3595
Gallery Gazer

I ordered MFT's Kraft CS and more recently ordered the dark gray and razzleberry color. And, I love the X-press blend it CS for copic coloring. I was using Gina K's pure luxury for copics but the x-press wins hands down - great texture and blending. I get that though from somewhere else because it's a little cheaper than MFT - maybe I got it from Ellen Hutson.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:22 PM   #3596
Crafting. Procrastinating. Caffeinating.

Congrats on the grand prizes Jean, Jacq, and Denise! Woohoo!

I want to say thanks for all the fun, comments, concern, talent, and honesty you girls share! Thanks for letting me hang out with you cool kids! In case I don't get a chance to post tomorrow, have a wonderful Thanksgiving!!!
Gallery Blog
Old 11-22-2012, 06:04 PM   #3597
Glitter Guru

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
Old 11-23-2012, 08:49 AM   #3598
Gallery Gazer

We have another winner...Lee! Come on, one more. I'm rootin' for ya Pat!

Hope y'all had a yummy Thanksgiving.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:59 AM   #3599
Glitter Guru

Thanks Jacqueline, but I don't think I did any HYCCT challenges.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:54 PM   #3600
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by casep View Post
Thanks Jacqueline, but I don't think I did any HYCCT challenges.
I thought you and Jean worked on some - I could have sworn she said you were over at her house and y'all made some together. Did I dream it? Well, I still want you to win anyway