Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree262Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 03:52 PM   #2401
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturecoastcrafter View Post
Jacq, you keep that stamp. You'll use it more than I will and I'll just have to find something to replace it. OH, poor me, having to buy a new stamp. I don't have any Christmas cards ready for this year. I need to get pumping. I see the new Holiday tutorial blitz started on the resource page today. Pretty cool secret box, but I don't know how I'd use it.
REALLY Jean? How generous and awesome of you! Thank you sweet friend.

You're right, the box is cool but it looks like a lot of work.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-07-2011, 03:57 PM   #2402
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by resqbarbie View Post
Hey y'all....

yeah, I know it just doesn't work for me!

But yes, Jacq we have settled in quite nicely...as soon as I get used to people wearing coats in 70 degree weather I'll be perfect. Joe and I are going on a cruise tomorrow for our 1o year anniversary! NO KIDS! wahhooooo! Just one of the perks of living near my retired inlaws!

Halloween was awesome around here Pat, I must have had 200 kids! I love your costume though and my kids love those books!
PS you will be happy to know we got all A's on report cards here and both kids made their AR reading goals (well, Gia past hers but who's counting?)

When I get back ladies, we HAVE to get together!

XOXOX I'm off to the Bahamas....

Bon Voyage! Totally jealous (still)...I so want to move and would love to be in Florida. Excellent report cards Gia & Chris! Christopher surpassed his AR reading goal too and gets to attend the reward party. He keeps reminding us that he is reading at a 5th grade level. I think it's amazing that just a couple years ago he couldn't read at all, then started reading & spelling little words, now he can read entire chapter books.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:47 AM   #2403
Gallery Gazer

Default Speedy the Cat...

Wow...came across this thread this morning: Mark's Finest Papers Sold!

Interesting - guess we won't be hearing any more Speedy the Cat stories.

Another sad note > > I was so saddened to hear of Katie Renz' lost battle with cancer. I've been following her blog. She was so inspirational and courageous - to be able to share her journey with us on such a personal level. I feel so bad for her 3 little boys and husband that she's left behind.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:25 AM   #2404
Stazon Splitcoast

Very, very sad about Katie, Jacq. I agree.

As for the other news--I am not surprised--that is all I'll say on the subject.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:11 PM   #2405
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Coordinator
Dirty Spy Hostess

Send a message via Yahoo to LuvLee

OH my heart broke for Katie and her family too..........I worked with her on a DT before her diagnosis. She truly has left behind a wonderful inspiration on how to live life though.

I'm with Jean on the other matter. Karma.....

~ Proud Fan Club Member! ~
Gina K. Designs DT Coordinator
My Blog: My Reality...It's All Good!
Stamp TV!
Old 11-08-2011, 03:58 PM   #2406
Glitter Guru

Yes, it was so sad to hear the news about Katie.

I've found so many uses for my Silhouette at school. Last month I put a spider on a white fishnet web for every book quiz a child in my class passed on SRC (like AR.) This month I'm putting a feather on the turkey.
Attached Thumbnails
turkey-reader-bb.jpg  
Old 11-08-2011, 04:18 PM   #2407
VSN Coordinator
Dirty Spy Hostess

That is cuuuute!!!!!

I've only used my Cricut once....I feel like I need someone here with me until I'm finally comfortable with it! LOL So it sits in it's corner! I think once I start scrapping I'll really use it though.

Stamp TV!
Old 11-08-2011, 04:28 PM   #2408
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvLee View Post
That is cuuuute!!!!!

I've only used my Cricut once....I feel like I need someone here with me until I'm finally comfortable with it! LOL So it sits in it's corner! I think once I start scrapping I'll really use it though.
I never even thought about buying a cutting machine until Jean bought a Silhouette and started cutting things for my classroom on it. Then the Silhouette SD went on sale because the new 12 inch Cameo was coming out and I couldn't resist. I've never used a Cricut but I've seen the machines, cartridges and accessories everywhere. I think it's probably the most popular cutting machine. The Silhouette doesn't have cartridges, you buy each cutting file separately for between 50-99 cents each. Since I mainly use it for my classroom or for holiday stuff, that works well for me. I'm amazed at the intricate things it can cut!
Old 11-09-2011, 07:09 AM   #2409
Gallery Gazer

All I see is $$$ signs with those machines. I've seen a lot of cool things made with them but don't see myself getting one. I think it's PERFECT for you Pat and if I were a teacher, I'd probably definitely have one...so much more use. Not to mention, fun!

Yoo-hoo....Michelle...
Old 11-09-2011, 08:58 AM   #2410
Stazon Splitcoast

I held off buying one for a long time, Jacq. I just didn't think I would use it. I've gotten my monies worth. Most of the cards I did during VSN that got high comments were silhouette products. I had this lady contact me yesterday about my saloon door card. She wanted to know where to get the die because it would be perfect for her husband's 40th birthday. Being the sharer that I am (sometimes) I offered to cut some for her if she would give me the dimensions. Today she pm'd me and asked for 150. Yes, that's right, ONE HUNDRED FIFTY pairs of saloon doors. They're for the INVITATIONS. Who the hell invites 150 people to a 40 year old's party. Who is he--Matthew McConahey? Of course, if he was, I'd crank those puppies out. You all know what I told her, politely, of course.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:00 AM   #2411
Stazon Splitcoast

Caaaaaaaayute, turkey, Pat! Good idea.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:05 AM   #2412
VSN Coordinator
Dirty Spy Hostess

No freakin' way!!!!! Are you kidding??? Someone had the GALL to ask for that many???? I know it shouldn't surprise me given the idiocy of so many people, but sheeeesh!!!! And no kidding?? 150 to a 40th b-day??? I just do not "get" some people!!!

Stamp TV!
Old 11-09-2011, 09:15 AM   #2413
Stazon Splitcoast

She said she'd pay for them, Lee, but I was still in shock. I don't think she can afford me!!!! Bwaaaaaahaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaa. I didn't get it either. Thanks for validating my head shaking!

Old 11-09-2011, 09:30 AM   #2414
VSN Coordinator
Dirty Spy Hostess

Oh....on second thought......at $10 per invite....you could be rich! Oh I love your new avie pic!!!!

Stamp TV!
Old 11-09-2011, 11:47 AM   #2415
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi Jacq! I too am sad about Katie. Given what my sister has been through, it was hard to follow the details of her journey, but just surfing blogs and SCS, I got enough details to know it was a heartbreaking one.
I'll also go with no comment on MFP and Speedy.
Hi Jean! Love the new pic. And wow - some people are just not right ...
Hi Pat! Congrats on the card sales. Your total sounds awesome to me! May I ask what you sold your cards for? I sold a bunch to my mom for $2 a piece and told her that was the family discount. We went to a craft bazaar Saturday where a woman was selling nicely made, with high quality supplies, but definitely CAS cards for $3.50 or 4 for $12. If I could get that price and actually sell some cards, it might be worth setting up a table at the right event.

Also, that turkey is the cutest! What a great use of your Silhoutte, too. Is it OK to say that some of the kids in your class seem have unusual names and/or spellings of names? Also, if that is your handwriting on the feathers, I'm envious. The cursive looks teacher-perfect!

Hi everyone else. Sorry I have been AWOL. My mom was in town and now I am battling major drama and long days at work. I did go to a scrap convention last Friday and bought a few new goodies that I am itching to play with, but I am headed out of town overnight this weekend, so we'll see. Maybe I can get out of work early on Friday because of the holiday.

Creativity takes courage.
--Henri Matisse
Old 11-09-2011, 01:53 PM   #2416
Glitter Guru

I say, "Happy Veteran's Day" to you, go home early on Friday, Michelle. Yes, many parents these days go for unique names and spellings. Thanks for the compliment on my handwriting. I was agonizing when I posted it because that is not my best writing, just my "get the name on the feather in a hurry" writing. So thanks again!

I sold my cards for $2 a card. I think some are worth more, but it gets too complicated to explain why some are one price and some another, so I just settled on $2 a card. It's cheaper than most Hallmark cards, so people will pay it.

Jean, would she pay $1 apiece? I can't believe she wanted 150.

I'll be cutting more turkey feathers tonight...
Old 11-09-2011, 03:31 PM   #2417
Glitter Guru

VSN Mini this Friday! Theme: Winter Wonderland
Old 11-09-2011, 04:54 PM   #2418
Gallery Gazer

Yay - Hi Michelle. I forgot your mom was coming. Sorry work still sucks. We'll have to remind each other once in a while > > >At least we have a job (and can pay our bills). I actually have no work goals. Except, maybe to be out the door by 5PM. In my section, except for the CEO, I have the most years experience in utilities and have been there the longest [out of all of them] yet I'm paid the least and get lip from everyone. Oh, I forgot, I am not a self absorbed drama queen so I don't "fit in". It's a wonder I don't have holes in my tongue from having to bite it to keep from going postal sometimes. LOL

Jean - sharing only goes so far KWIM? And I echo everyone else. 150 people for a b-day party? ***? I didn't even have 50 people at my wedding!

After dinner, we went to a new soda-pop and candy store called Fizzy's. They have hundred's of different kinds, brands, flavors of soda. I got one called Butter Beer which is a butterscotch flavored cream soda. I haven't tried it yet because my tummy is full from dinner. Christopher got Bacon Soda (I know, EWWWWW). It actually smelled worse than it tasted. He loves bacon but didn't like the soda. It kind of tasted like fizzy honey-flavored soda (with smoked flavoring). Not very good. Fizzy's is within walking distance to my work so I'll try some others...there was a Jelly Belly French Vanilla soda and one called Kitty Piddle (LOL) which is actually Pineapple.

Well, my eyeballs are drying out - need to go put my spectacles on. Toodles Noodles.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:58 PM   #2419
Gallery Gazer

By the way...apparently my acronyms are edited too. LOL
Where the *** appear in my post below....Read: "What the...starts with F and rhymes with duck?"
Old 11-09-2011, 05:28 PM   #2420
Stazon Splitcoast

Pat, I think I'm even more envious of your handwriting now that I know it's your in-a-hurry writing! Because I write so much so quick in my job, my handwriting has become just atrocious.
I think $2 per card is very reasonable. I suspect the reason the woman at the craft fair was getting $3-3.50 was because it was in the super rich part of town! She also had a few other things, like pencil boxes with pencils and cocoa with holders for $1-$2 each.
Jacq, I have to remind myself regularly how lucky I am to be employed. It's been particularly hard the last few days because more of my friends got laid off and we found out yesterday that one of my least favorite coworkers is now moving to our office. Ugh. He was my boss briefly, but thank goodness he will not be my boss this time around!
Fizzy's sounds awesome. We have Bev Mo here, which is like the WalMart of booze, and it has a whole aisle of sodas of all kinds. I am always tempted to try new ones. I know it is super sugary and has no redeeming nutritional value, but sometimes I just love a good soda like black cherry, orange or vanilla creme.

--Henri Matisse
Old 11-10-2011, 05:37 AM   #2421
Gallery Gazer

Morning Glories

Yes Pat, you definitely get an A+ for your cursive. I, like Michelle, often have to write things quickly at my job so penmanship isn't as neat as it used to be.

Jean love the cute new av pic. I forgot to mention that yesterday.

Michelle...we're definitely lucky to have jobs with the way the economic climate is today but I sure do miss the days where I actually looked forward to coming to work and liked what I was doing. It's also difficult having a superviosr who is a self-absorbed, self promoting mirco-manager. Total opposites - we mix like water and oil. Of course, I play nicey nice but I sit in my office and roll my eyes and sigh at least a half dozen times a day. LOL
Old 11-11-2011, 09:18 AM   #2422
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Hi all! Back from our cruise and we had a great time! Hope everyone is well!
Old 11-11-2011, 08:16 PM   #2423
Gallery Gazer

Glad to hear you're back safe & sound D. Tell us all about your trip. (well, not ALL about it) LOL Man, it's coldies here today...the sun was out but it was only, like 50*. Tonight I'll have to wear my warm jammies.

Are y'all doing the VSN mini? I did 3 cards so far...I'll have to work on the others Saturday afternoon while the Cheddar-Ale Soup I'm going to make for lunch simmers. Mmmmmm

*YAWN* It's after midnight now so I'm off to bed now.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:58 AM   #2424
Stazon Splitcoast

Yay, Michelle!!!!!!

Prize #11 - Cat's Pajamas Package - Eliotstamps

in the Hope You Can Cling To Prize winners

Old 11-13-2011, 05:13 AM   #2425
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturecoastcrafter View Post
Yay, Michelle!!!!!!

Prize #11 - Cat's Pajamas Package - Eliotstamps

in the Hope You Can Cling To Prize winners

Yay! Michelle has done it again! Congratulations!
Old 11-13-2011, 05:14 AM   #2426
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueline View Post
Glad to hear you're back safe & sound D. Tell us all about your trip. (well, not ALL about it) LOL Man, it's coldies here today...the sun was out but it was only, like 50*. Tonight I'll have to wear my warm jammies.

Are y'all doing the VSN mini? I did 3 cards so far...I'll have to work on the others Saturday afternoon while the Cheddar-Ale Soup I'm going to make for lunch simmers. Mmmmmm

*YAWN* It's after midnight now so I'm off to bed now.
I started two cards for VSN, but didn't like the way they were going so I didn't finish them. Just didn't feel inspired on Friday night. I'll try again at the main event.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:34 AM   #2427
Gallery Gazer

Won't Michelle be excited when she gets back in town to learn she won a[nother] prize?! Congrats!

I did the mini VSN challenges (except for the cloud one - just wasn't digging it) but haven't loaded them yet. I'm pleased with a couple but the all white card and salted BG look like @s$. I'm just going to work on my Christmas cards today.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:29 AM   #2428
VSN Coordinator
Dirty Spy Hostess

Yay! I was just coming here too to post about Mish being a winner!!!

I did the salted bg one too and loved how it turned out! I didn't think I was going to like it at first....but it really was easier than I thought when I first read it.

Stamp TV!
Old 11-13-2011, 10:14 AM   #2429
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks so much, girls! I am a big fan of The Cat's Pajamas and that is the perfect prize for me! I just wish I could turn my luck at winning free stamps in to luck winning the lotto! Crossing my fingers for all of you who are still in the running!

I ended up going to visit my cousins and coming back in one day, so I got home late last night. Today I hope to do some stamping, including a couple VSN challenges. I have a couple of birthday cards that need to get out, plus I need some thank you cards. I'm kind of regretting selling all my best cards to my mom. I don't have time to replenish my stash because I need to get cracking on Christmas cards.

--Henri Matisse
Old 11-13-2011, 06:52 PM   #2430
Glitter Guru

I just finished 30 thank you cards for Teach-In. I'll try to post a pic tomorrow.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:12 PM   #2431
Stazon Splitcoast

30????!!!! Wow! I have accomplished 2.75 cards today. I'm working on finishing that last one before bed! At least one was a Christmas card. Only 45 or so to go!

--Henri Matisse
Old 11-14-2011, 04:33 AM   #2432
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Quote:
Originally Posted by casep View Post
I just finished 30 thank you cards for Teach-In. I'll try to post a pic tomorrow.
Yeah for Teach in...I'm teaching first aid on wednesday to 1st and 3rd grades!
wish me luck!
Old 11-14-2011, 08:02 AM   #2433
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by resqbarbie View Post
Yeah for Teach in...I'm teaching first aid on wednesday to 1st and 3rd grades!
wish me luck!
Aww - have fun Denise. You'll have a blast - the kids are still cute - after 3rd grade, it starts to suck...they're little chatty know-it-all's. 5th & 6th grade was the worst when I had to do presentations for work.

Good for you Pat...focusing on the task at hand and getting your card completed. I, on the other hand, have nada Christmas cards...but I did reorganize all my unmounted stamps. Talk about switching gears. Maybe this week, I'll get some done.

Yeah, Lee, the salted BG is easy but I'm really not a fan of the way it looks. Just looks like an old card that's been laying around and the finish faded. I don't know...maybe it's the colors, stamps or something that makes a difference.

Oh snap! Did I miss the deadline to upload VSN mini cards? Forgot to do it yesterday (I was organizing stamps). I KNEW there was something else I was supposed to do.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:15 AM   #2434
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueline View Post
Aww - have fun Denise. You'll have a blast - the kids are still cute - after 3rd grade, it starts to suck...they're little chatty know-it-all's. 5th & 6th grade was the worst when I had to do presentations for work.

Good for you Pat...focusing on the task at hand and getting your card completed. I, on the other hand, have nada Christmas cards...but I did reorganize all my unmounted stamps. Talk about switching gears. Maybe this week, I'll get some done.

Yeah, Lee, the salted BG is easy but I'm really not a fan of the way it looks. Just looks like an old card that's been laying around and the finish faded. I don't know...maybe it's the colors, stamps or something that makes a difference.

Oh snap! Did I miss the deadline to upload VSN mini cards? Forgot to do it yesterday (I was organizing stamps). I KNEW there was something else I was supposed to do.
Don't blame 5th and 6th graders. Blame their teachers for not teaching them the appropriate manners for presentations and then holding their toes to the fire!!!

I only have the Christmas cards that are left over from last year. Haven't gotten motivated to do anymore. I even tried Christmas music. They may just have to do. I'm in a keep it simple mood again this year. While I have gobs of holiday spirit, I just don't want to go overboard on gifts, etc. It's not that I'm cheap, I just think it's time to take a good hard look at the world around us. I dunno, I'm not preaching, just maybe convincing myself.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:16 AM   #2435
Stazon Splitcoast

You'll love it, D. Have fun.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:18 AM   #2436
Stazon Splitcoast

Off to see the gniece's honor roll presentation at 1:00 and then to tutor in her class. Making oreo turkeys with them next Tuesday. Mammo, Dexa, and possible ultra sound tomorrow. It's not exactly Wall Street, but I'll take a little busy.

Old 11-14-2011, 02:43 PM   #2437
Glitter Guru

Here is the card I made for Teach-In. It was kinda labor intensive - printing the front, embossing the front on the Cuttlebug, punching the holes in the "notebook paper", cutting and tying the ribbon, threading it through the holes and securing it on the back, cutting the pieces of the apple on the Silhouette and then assembling the apples, gluing the apples to the card fronts, printing the insides of the cards and attaching the fronts to the cards. But, I like the way they turned out.
Attached Thumbnails
teach-card-pgc.jpg  
Old 11-14-2011, 02:56 PM   #2438
VSN Coordinator
Dirty Spy Hostess

REALLY cute Pat!!!

CONGRATS on your HYCCT win Jean!!!

Stamp TV!
Old 11-14-2011, 03:14 PM   #2439
Glitter Guru

Yay, Jean, a prize from Greeting Farm!
Old 11-14-2011, 03:50 PM   #2440
Gallery Gazer

CONGRATS Jean!! Christmas came early! I'm still waiting for my name to be called. I feel like the kid standing in line waiting to get picked for the dodge ball team.