Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree417Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2010, 01:07 PM   #681
Stazon Splitcoast

Jean, your plan sounds great to me. And yes, you definitely need to take some of the stamps for yourself before anything else.
Also, Denise, you should let Gia pick out a few after you go through the box. I'm sure she has her own stash of stamps by now!

Crossing my fingers that the hurricane misses you entirely, Jacq. So glad it waited til after your wedding!

I took a second sick day. I'm still running a slight fever, and since they advise school kids to stay home if they have a fever, I decided the same rule should apply to me. I've spent the day making two cards for the next Papercrafts call and reading magazines. I'm hoping to muster some energy to tackle a couple of chores in a bit.

Creativity takes courage.
--Henri Matisse
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-01-2010, 01:23 PM   #682
Glitter Guru

Jean, glad you're walking again, limp or not. We'll just ave to call you Gimpy

High School was OK, but AJ and I were upset he didn't get into the Advanced Science class. So I had to go talk to the counselor about it. She gave me some song and dance about needing to have placed in Honors Geometry (huh? no exposure to geometry up to this point and he was expected to score high enough on the test last spring to get in). They were going to do 2 classes for the advanced, but settled on 1. OK, I thought, didn't have funding for the teacher or whatever, but after she emailed the teacher (with my concerns) to see if he could be in his class she let me know that it was the same teacher that he has for regular science, sooo (and teachers, correct me if I am wrong) would it really matter if that teacher is teaching a regular or advance class, since it seemed like there were enough students interested in the advance for a second class? I'm really just upset because my son feels like he is being told you that if you are not good enough for 1 advanced class then you won't ever get the chance.

Thanks for letting me vent. I think I just found some other info in the student handbook that makes me even madder, but I won't get into that.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:43 PM   #683
Glitter Guru

Sorry about the disappointment in the Advanced Science class, Stacey. I don't know for sure how it is there, but usually schools have to offer enough core science classes to meet the needs of the school population. Advanced classes are added once the core class needs are met. So, for example, maybe they had 15 kids who needed the core science class and 8 who wanted the advanced class. The core class would come first.

Hope Earl wiggles off away from you Jacqueline. How close are you to the coast?

Hope you're feeling better, Michelle, but here's good news. Not only can you not go to school with a fever, but you have to be fever-free for 24 hours before you can go back to school! Woo hoo! Looks like you might have another sick day in your future!

Hard to call "the new kindergarten teacher" issue, D. We'll adopt a wait-and-see attitude I think. Hope Gia's teacher has gotten over her hormonal problems. Ack!!

Looking forward to receiving the traveling stamps box soon!
Old 09-01-2010, 04:59 PM   #684
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

I've battened down my hatches here Jacq....LOL I got water, batteries and flashlights too. For some weird reason my kids are super excited about it! Yeah only 2 more days until Uncle Earl gets here! If this hurricane is a let down and I don't loose power, I'm gonna pretend and keep the TV and lights off all day anyway...LOL

Stacey....stop lying, you don't have a kid in high school.... :0
Old 09-01-2010, 05:00 PM   #685

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliotstamps View Post
Jean, your plan sounds great to me. And yes, you definitely need to take some of the stamps for yourself before anything else.
Also, Denise, you should let Gia pick out a few after you go through the box. I'm sure she has her own stash of stamps by now!

Crossing my fingers that the hurricane misses you entirely, Jacq. So glad it waited til after your wedding!

I took a second sick day. I'm still running a slight fever, and since they advise school kids to stay home if they have a fever, I decided the same rule should apply to me. I've spent the day making two cards for the next Papercrafts call and reading magazines. I'm hoping to muster some energy to tackle a couple of chores in a bit.
I think I have to....she heard me telling my MIL about the whole thing and she checks the mail everyday looking for it!
Old 09-01-2010, 05:14 PM   #686
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by resqbarbie View Post
I've battened down my hatches here Jacq....LOL I got water, batteries and flashlights too. For some weird reason my kids are super excited about it! Yeah only 2 more days until Uncle Earl gets here! If this hurricane is a let down and I don't loose power, I'm gonna pretend and keep the TV and lights off all day anyway...LOL

Stacey....stop lying, you don't have a kid in high school.... :0
Ha Ha, I'm definitely not old enough. I was barely out of High School when I had him. The scary part with the whole science class things is that AJ has made up his mind that he will do dual enrollment at the local community college when he's a junior, since that sounds like the only opportunity he will have for "advanced" classes. So I looked into it, and he could go to college FULL TIME in 2 years if he wants

Speaking of school, I wouldn't worry too much about the new teacher for Kindergarten. We have had both really good and really bad experiences with new teachers. Things worked out in the end with the bad teacher and we are hoping to get the good teacher for Rachel this year. I should take my own advice

Good luck to everyone who could/will be affected by Earl. We'll be keeping an eye out for you here on the West Coast

Old 09-01-2010, 05:24 PM   #687
Gabfest Goddess

Oh Michelle - sorry to hear you're still under the weather but enjoy your time off!

Hang in there Stacey - everything happens for a reason. Christopher is here for his Wednesday overnight...I get to take him to school tomorrow. My first official "mommy duty". Besides the usual laundry, dinner, etc. I need to drop off information paperwork and talk to the teacher to be sure that Joe & I are included in notices, etc. because sometimes his mother "forgets" that Joe is his father and we're left out of the loop. Bless her heart. LOL

Glad to hear you're "hobbling" around Jean. Hope you're back to your [old] self in no time.

I had to put the stamps in the flat rate skinny box because my post office didn't have the square boxes.

You're funny Denise - we didn't do anything here to prepare for Earl...well, if the winds pick up tomorrow, we'll bring things inside but nothing noticeable so far.

I am on the coast but not on the water...we're about a mile and a half inland. Wilmington/New Hanover County is a peninsula...the Cape Fear River is on the west, the Intracoastal Waterway/Atlantic Ocean is to the east and the ocean is at the bottom (south) where the two waterways meet. I'm far enough away to avoid the storm surge and flooding but the roads get pretty flooded when it rains alot. YES! I am so glad the weather held up for the wedding. Whew!

Pat & Jean - Do you know where Melbourne, FL is? My Uncle lives there. Joe & I may take a ride down to visit one of these days. I'd love to arrange to meet for lunch or dinner when we're down that way. He's the one I visited (in Celebration) when I came down for the stamping camp retreat last time.

Hi Lee! Hi Paula! Hi Karolyn!

'Night peeps.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:37 PM   #688
Glitter Guru

Batten down the hatches, Jacqueline! Earl is a big storm! Melbourne is about 50 miles from Orlando.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:46 PM   #689
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Coordinator

Send a message via Yahoo to LuvLee

Jean....sure hope you can finish healing up and be back to walking normal soooooon!!!! Have fun with the box and I think your plan to get some shhhtufffs for you is a MUST!!! And then donating it sounds fabulous!

Denise....totally let Gia have fun picking out stamps!!! Take a pic of her with the box and share it here please!!!

Mish......you gotta get well girl!!! HUGS!!!

Stacey....my daughter did dual enrollment with some online college classes during high school and it was great to get a jump start. She only did it for one year, but it helped get a lot of pre-reqs out of the way and now she's in college at the dorm and taking mostly classes she just enjoys and that apply to her degree!!

All you East Coasters............stay safe!!!!!
Old 09-02-2010, 03:22 AM   #690
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
I think I have to....she heard me telling my MIL about the whole thing and she checks the mail everyday looking for it!
By all means--the girl gets a pick through by my vote!

Old 09-02-2010, 07:21 AM   #691
Stazon Splitcoast

Happy Day Everyone! My the saddest day of your future be no worse than the happiest day of your past.

Travelling Stamps: Box size - whatever works best
Gia definately should pick some along with Denise
Once done...I vote Jean can do what she wants.
Start a new round next year

Jacq: Finally looked at all your beautiful wedding photos. You are such a cute couple.

None of us our old enough to have kids the ages they are because we are all so young at heart. My 'baby' is 30 and when I think of him, I see him as he was when he was 6. He had his issues in middle and high school. With a Genius IQ, in 3rd Grade they wanted to advance him into 4th, but he didn't want to, so I didn't push it. He was so bored with regular classes and wouldn't do his homework that he almost flunked 8th grade..I had heard nothing from any of the teachers about this until the week before the end of school. Talked with his Science teacher (the one that would have caused him to stay in 8th grade) and determined that he never handed in his homework. He aced all the tests. To pass he had to do all the homework from the last quarter. He did it all in one night and it was all perfect, but because it was so late so he got a C. In High School, because he was so bored they wanted to put him in a remedial class instead of honor classes. I was able to nix the remedial, but couldn't get him into the honors...the teacher's didn't want to deal with his acting up. He delayed going to college and is now a Junior and has made the Dean's list every semester...most with honors. Go figure.

Here is a picture of my 'Baby' and Grandpuppy, Mr. Belvadear.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:25 AM   #692
Stazon Splitcoast

Jean: Glad you are up and hobbling around. Hope you heal quickly and not hobble too long.
Mish: Take care of yourself so you don't get worse.
Stacey: Sounds like your AJ has head on right. Hope everything works out alright.

No matter how 'old' our babies get, they will always be our babies and we will worry about them. (I just look at my 84 year old mother and my sibblings and myself.)

Isn't life great!
Old 09-02-2010, 07:25 AM   #693
Stazon Splitcoast

OK, I apologize for my warped sense of humor today.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:49 PM   #694

I'm all ready for Earl....my backyard is de-cluttered and battened down! I'll be on here all night for the new CAS DT announcement...xoxo
Old 09-02-2010, 01:59 PM   #695
Stazon Splitcoast

Robyn--no warp--no worry--hope Mom's doing better. I have your address--PM me Mom's name, okay?

Deeee----Get out that DC album about Earl had to die and play it--maybe we can turn this guy before he gets to you!

Old 09-02-2010, 02:46 PM   #696
Glitter Guru

Good Luck Denise, on both Earl and the DT gig

Old 09-02-2010, 02:49 PM   #697
VSN Coordinator

Heya Robyn!!!!

LOL Jean!!! Now that song is running thru my brain!!! That video was hilarious too!!! You all stay safe!!!
Old 09-02-2010, 03:56 PM   #698
Glitter Guru

I watched the weather people out on the Outer Banks of North Carolina waiting for hurricane Earl and had a flashback to Sept. 21, 1964 when my family was vacationing at Nags Head and Hurricane Gladys passed within 150 miles. Now they probably would evacuate us, but then we just rode it out. We were staying in a motel right on the beach and I remember the waves were amazing!!
Old 09-02-2010, 04:00 PM   #699
Glitter Guru

Wow Pat, thinking of being right there on the beach with the hurricane not that far away seems a little scary to my!

I know this might not be news to you east coasters who live with hurricanes every year, but DH and I were talking about the names last night, so we looked it up on the National Hurricane Center's website. I guess they have 6 lists they use and just rotate through the 6. If a storm is particularly destructive they remove that name and add another. I guess I just never noticed that the names rotated like that.

Old 09-02-2010, 04:16 PM   #700
Glitter Guru

Yes, this is the same list as the 2004 hurricane list. That year four hurricane names were retired after the devastating 2004 hurricane season so on the 2010 list Charley was replaced by Colin, Frances was replaced by Fiona, Ivan was replaced by Igor, and Jeanne was replaced by Julia. That was a year we'll never forget here. We got hit by 3 of those hurricanes.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:43 PM   #701

I just found out that there is a hurricane GASTON? seriously? Makes me think of Beauty and the Beast...
Old 09-02-2010, 05:45 PM   #702

i forgot about that song! I gave up on the chicks when they got all political...
Old 09-02-2010, 06:00 PM   #703

Old 09-02-2010, 06:14 PM   #704
Stazon Splitcoast

why the embarrassed face, D?

I love that DC song. And agree, the video is hilarious.
Pat, I love that memory of yours from the 64 hurricane. I think it would be kind of cool to be close to one and see the big waves, but I wouldn't want it to be so close or so bad that it got to be much more than waves and wind!

As for hurricane names, Michelle is among the retired. There was a Hurricane Michelle a few years ago that hit the Caribbean pretty hard, I think the Dominican Republic? I have a couple of headlines saved from the newspapers, a la "Michelle destroys ..."

--Henri Matisse
Old 09-02-2010, 06:46 PM   #705
Glitter Guru

Quote:
I just found out that there is a hurricane GASTON? seriously? Makes me think of Beauty and the Beast...
Me too. At least it's a bad guy name unlike Michelle. There's a song about him too, hmm, I hope we aren't going to have to be singing that one too.

Old 09-02-2010, 06:50 PM   #706
Glitter Guru

I've been wanting a Scor-Pal, but $30 seems like a lot. Now I see they have a smaller size. Do any of you who have the Scor-Pal actually use the full size? The smaller one is 9x71/2

Old 09-02-2010, 07:14 PM   #707
Stazon Splitcoast

Stacey, i don't have a scor-pal, but awhile back somebody mentioned the Martha Stewart score board at Michael's. I think it retails for like $20 and you can use coupons to get it cheaper. It is full size, I'm pretty sure, and might be worth checking out before you commit to a scor-pal.

--Henri Matisse
Old 09-02-2010, 07:20 PM   #708
Crafting. Procrastinating. Caffeinating.

There's a hurricane Paula this year. hope we don't get that far!

We very randomly have the tv on cmt and the dixie chick video was on. I didn't remember all the celebrities.

Stacey, i do use my whole scor-pal, but i have the mat, too, so it's my stamp surface. i don't know how often i would use the whole thing if I didn't have the mat.

Gallery Blog

Beauty is the miracle of things going together imperfectly. ~ Anne Lamott
Old 09-02-2010, 07:42 PM   #709
Glitter Guru

Michelle, I like your idea of the Martha Stewart one. $12 (after coupon) seems much more reasonable!

Old 09-02-2010, 08:27 PM   #710
VSN Coordinator

I have the Scor-Pal, the Scor Mat and the Scor Buddy. Since I got the Scor Buddy I find myself using that the most. Although I love them all! But I so mostly do cards that the Scor Buddy with the smaller size and the 1/4" grooves is my fave!!
Old 09-03-2010, 04:41 AM   #711
Gabfest Goddess

Good-byyyyyyeeeeeeee Earl. Earl is a wimp. We didn't even get any rain drops and the outer bands that we did experience were no more than a breeze. Sending him your way Denise. Good luck!

Joe and I were going to go to the beach yesterday to check out the waves but I fell asleep on the sofa at 6:00PM and didn't get up until 10:00PM (Joe woke me up...I probably would've slept there all night). I stayed up for about 40 minutes and went to bed. I guess I was tired, huh?

Stacey - I have the Martha Stewart pad because I couldn't see spending the extra $ for the Scor-pal. The MS version even comes with a little tool to make envelopes and the scoring tool. I HAD to have it and made a couple trips to Michael's (they were out of them for a while) and to be honest, I haven't even tried the darn thing out yet. I did use a coupon too. Mike's has a current 40% off coupon plus a 50% off coupon for Sunday and Monday only. Maybe I'll try this thing this weekend.

Hope y'all are doing swell and feeling better. Looking forward to a 3-day weekend. Woo-Hoo!
Old 09-03-2010, 07:26 AM   #712
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi everyone.

Won't need the radio today with all the songs going through my mind now.

I guess I am in good company Michelle. In August of 1993, Typhoon Robyn hit Japan causing 45 fatalities, 39 of which were from traffic related accidents, and $68 million in damage.

I have the Scor-Pal with the Mat and I also use it as my workspace. I love it for when I have 12 x 12 paper that needs scoring. I will be picking up a Scor Buddy next week (I get some 'mad' money to be used only for craft items. The Scor Buddy is smaller and more for working with card sizes and the scors are 1/4" apart.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:35 AM   #713
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Lou's View Post
I've been wanting a Scor-Pal, but $30 seems like a lot. Now I see they have a smaller size. Do any of you who have the Scor-Pal actually use the full size? The smaller one is 9x71/2
Okay, I know I'm behind in posts, but will do my best to catch up.

Stacey, I have both the Scor-Pal and the MS Score Board. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the MS Score Board. Am no longer a fan of the Scor-Pal. I prefer the MS Score Board because they have scoring for every 1/8", whereas the Scor-Pal does not - it's intermittently 1/4", 1/8", 1/2", so you have to move your paper around if you need a specific score. I can't tell you how many times I messed up a project because of the bad scoring positions on the Scor-Pal. I don't know if the Scor-Buddy has improved that. But why take the chance - the MS Board works great. I would, however, recommend pitching the scoring tool that's provided and use an embossing stylus. Works MUCH better. The MS Score Board has a little storage cubby and my stylus fits in there perfectly.

I have good news and bad news - the good news is that the traveling stamps are going to the PO today. Please forgive the delay as I've had a rough week - just couldn't bring myself to leave the house. Need to double up on my meds. LOL The bad news is that they won't fit in the skinny Flat Rate Box. They also won't fit in the medium chunky box (same cost as the flat skinny box). They DO fit in the large flat rate box which costs $14.95 to ship. So, we have ourselves a dilemma. I removed two stamps, but they were small, so really didn't make much of a difference. I have even more stamps that I can add to the box, but I wanted to get a consensus on what to do going forward. Are the remaining traveling stamp receivers okay with paying the $14.95, or should I try to remove more stamps so that they fit in the medium chunky box? The two remaining receivers are Pat and Denise, and then Jean is the final stop. Ladies, what do you want me to do? Please let me know ASAP, as I'm heading to the PO in a couple of hours.

Next order of the day - I spy with my little eye - Jean's amazingly beautiful creations in the September issue of CardMaker Magazine!!! OMG, Jean your cards are gorgeous!! I adore the Karen Lockhart pumpkin window stamp that you used - one of my absolute faves. And your leaf card - WOW!! That chalking technique is awesome - I've never tried that but your card has truly inspired me! Great job, sistah!! Peeps - go buy the issue. You won't be disappointed! I found mine at Barnes & Noble. Has anyone found the new Paper Crafts Holiday Cards issue? I want that one, too.

Next - I need some positive thoughts and prayers sent my daughter's way this morning. She's on her way for an interview with a middle school Language Arts/Social Studies teacher for her student teaching placement. This placement is her ONLY option this semester as school starts next Wednesday. This has been a very stressful and frustrating process for her, and with that has come a waning in her enthusiasm for teaching. Please, please, please pray that she gets the placement and thereby her fire for teaching again. She's a great young woman and I know will be an outstanding teacher once she gets her confidence back up. She'll be teaching the English portion of the Language Arts Social Studies block - she doesn't have a Social Studies endorsement (we won't even go into that whole mess), so the fact that they're willing to consider her for the placement with an English only endorsement is a miracle in and of itself. We should know in the next couple of hours if she gets it. Thanks, ladies!

I guess that's it for the news from me. Jacq - so glad that Earl bypassed your neck of the woods. Denise - hold onto your hat!! LOL During the four years that we lived in Florida, we only saw a few tropical storms. No hurricanes. Phew! Mish, I hope you're feeling better today. It's a three day weekend for you working peeps, so Halle-flippin'-leuiah!! Robyn, I hope your mom is doing better. I suck at sending cards, but I'll try to get one in the mail to her today when I go to the PO. What's her name? Jean, it sounds like your leg is on the mend. So glad for that.

Hello to all you other peeps - Lee, Paula, and anyone else that I missed!!

Pat and Denise - let me know what you want me to do about the traveling stamps!!
Old 09-03-2010, 10:46 AM   #714
Crafting. Procrastinating. Caffeinating.

Karolyn ~ Will pray for your daughter! I think I'm going to get a MS score board just so I don't have to do math. I'll wait for a 50% coupon. Holiday Cards and More comes out Sept 14.

Gallery Blog

Beauty is the miracle of things going together imperfectly. ~ Anne Lamott
Old 09-03-2010, 10:46 AM   #715
Stazon Splitcoast

Robyn is in on this, too, Karo--the stamps go from Denise to Robyn and then to me< I think. I hope YOU feel better, Karo. Fingers crossed for student teacher placement. In Florida, we just volunteer to take an intern; we don't get a choice on who we get. They are just placed with us.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:02 AM   #716
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturecoastcrafter View Post
Robyn is in on this, too, Karo--the stamps go from Denise to Robyn and then to me< I think. I hope YOU feel better, Karo. Fingers crossed for student teacher placement. In Florida, we just volunteer to take an intern; we don't get a choice on who we get. They are just placed with us.
It worked!! Thanks, ladies! Amy just called and she got the placement!! She starts Wednesday - so freakin' relieved. You have no idea!! LOL

Jean, the list that I have for the stamps is the old list. I'll print out the new list to include in the box.

So, Denise, Robyn, Pat and Jean - what do you want me to do with the box? Big box = more money and more stamps. Smaller box = same money but fewer stamps. Your call. I don't care one way or the other, really.

Leaving for the PO in about an hour - let me know, please!!
Old 09-03-2010, 11:07 AM   #717
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't think it will matter to Pat--I feel pretty confident answering for her and since Denise is going to go through and Gia--the bigger box will let them both have a fun time. Pat and Robyn can clean it out more if they want to go with the lower postage. That would be fine with me!!!!! If you're willing to pay the extra postage, go for it!

Old 09-03-2010, 11:09 AM   #718
Stazon Splitcoast

Hoooray about the intern placement, Karo!

I know, somedays it's hard just to put one foot in front of the other--it happens to creative types! Have you read "Saving Cee Cee Honeycutt"--good read. Pick it up.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:23 AM   #719
Stazon Splitcoast

Robyn, since I'm the recipient after you. When you get the box, feel absolutely no worry about cleaning that box out before you send it on to me. Don't worry about even trades, etc. If you see something you want or know somebody who could use it--remove it. That should help you get postage down to the $10.40 or lower!!!! So I'm answering for Robyn, SHIP the thing, Karo!

Old 09-03-2010, 12:16 PM   #720
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturecoastcrafter View Post
Hoooray about the intern placement, Karo!

I know, somedays it's hard just to put one foot in front of the other--it happens to creative types! Have you read "Saving Cee Cee Honeycutt"--good read. Pick it up.
Thanks, Jean. I'll pick that up.