Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree283Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2013, 12:15 PM   #4081
Crafting. Procrastinating. Caffeinating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliotstamps View Post
Some of you saw the news on Facebook, but in case you haven't already, I lost Eliot yesterday. She apparently had a massive blood clot in her spine that blocked blood flow to the lower half of her body. As soon as it happened, I knew something was wrong so I rushed her to the vet, but there wasn't anything they could do. Even though she was an old kitty - 16! - and she was really starting to show her age, it was a very hard day. I am okay today, but it is funny how often I'll go to talk to her or look for. I suspect I will be doing that for awhile.
Oh Michelle. I'm so sorry. Hugs and prayers for you!

Gallery Blog

Relax, nothing is under control.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-06-2013, 03:43 PM   #4082
Gallery Gazer

I've been thinking how nice it is to be so close to my mom while we're in Calabash. And, I know Michelle must feel the same way being near her mom now too. I won't ever take our close relationship and the love we have for granted.

Yesterday at work, my friend got a horrific phone call that will forever change her. Teresa's mom, whom she's very close to, was at the beach yesterday afternoon with a friend and drowned. Although they got her out of the water and performed CPR, they could not save her. I heard Teresa on the phone down the hall and could tell something was wrong so I ran down to her office. To see Teresa in hysterics was heartbreaking. Another coworker drove her to the hospital where her husband works so they could meet the ambulance at the ER.

It's so sad that she lost her mom in such a tragic, unexpected way. It makes me think of how lucky I am to have this opportunity to spend a few months being closer to my mom.

We also had quite a performance with bee-otch mom and the kids Friday when we went to pick them up for their last 2 weeks with us for summer. Long story short, it was quite a scene and Joe and I ended up coming back to Calabash alone. The kids are young and are oblivious to the fact that one day their dad (and me) are not going to be around. It is also very disappointing to their grandparents who want to see them and spend time with them. Their mother is just evil to do the things she does to her children...they're the ones that miss out. So, we should be heading to court soon, there is NO negotiating at this point.

Hug your moms, dads, husbands, children and other loved ones. Cherish the time and opportunities you have and experience life's joys.

Cyber hugs to all of you, my friends!
Old 08-06-2013, 03:49 PM   #4083
Glitter Guru

So very sorry to hear of your friend's loss, Jacqueline. So tragic.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:13 PM   #4084
Stazon Splitcoast

Big hugs to you, Jacq. I am so sorry to hear about your friend's loss. And the boys' mom and her bad behavior. Just heartbreaking on all accounts.

You're right, I am very glad I am back home near my mom. We've already had so many good times and laughs, just because I am close. Those times make this crazy move worth every moment.

Job update: editing test tomorrow for one job; still in the running on the one I had the interview for last week. They are putting together a writing/editing test, as well, but don't have it ready yet. I guess they decided to do that before moving to second interviews.

I'm back at the beach for a few days to get some more job work done, then will head to Mom's Thursday night or Friday morning. We have a family wedding Friday afternoon. Not sure how the rest of the weekend will go, but I'm sure there'll be other stuff in the works, too.

Creativity takes courage.
--Henri Matisse
Old 08-08-2013, 04:01 AM   #4085
Stazon Splitcoast

That is just so sad, Jacquie. So sad. My heart breaks for her. Time to call out the posse on the other situation?

Old 08-08-2013, 05:20 AM   #4086
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturecoastcrafter View Post
That is just so sad, Jacquie. So sad. My heart breaks for her. Time to call out the posse on the other situation?
If by "posse" you mean an illegal violent street gang to "mess her up", then I'm all for it. LOL
Old 08-08-2013, 05:23 AM   #4087
Gallery Gazer

Some dream of ponies, rainbows and unicorns...I dream of sweet revenge in the form of kharma. I'm not going to stoop to their level...her day will come.
naturecoastcrafter likes this post.
Old 08-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #4088
Stazon Splitcoast

Okay, so who has read a good book lately that doesn't involve zombies, vampires, the apocalyse or fantasy creatures?

Old 08-10-2013, 12:01 PM   #4089
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueline View Post
Some dream of ponies, rainbows and unicorns...I dream of sweet revenge in the form of kharma. I'm not going to stoop to their level...her day will come.

Gotcha Gandhi, but I'm from Florida and I figure that as long as most non-Floridians think I'm a rooting tooting violent redneck with control issues stalking folks, who am I to dispel their stereotypes?

Old 08-10-2013, 08:23 PM   #4090
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Okay, so who has read a good book lately that doesn't involve zombies, vampires, the apocalyse or fantasy creatures?
Jean, this is a pretty simple mystery based in France, but I liked it enough that I read the second one in the series, too. There are interesting characters, food and wind and coffee, and some twists in the plot.

Amazon.com: Death at the Chateau Bremont: A Verlaque and Bonnet Mystery (Verlaque and Bonnet Mysteries) (9780143119524): M. L. Longworth: Books

I probably have a couple others I could recommend if I think about it enough.

--Henri Matisse
Old 08-11-2013, 06:38 AM   #4091
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks, Michelle. You always recommend good books. Still remember the snow fan book.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:26 AM   #4092
Stazon Splitcoast

Well the new recommendation isn't as good as that one, so don't get your hopes up!
I have to go book shopping later so maybe I can come up with some more recommendations.

--Henri Matisse
Old 08-16-2013, 05:17 AM   #4093
Stazon Splitcoast

Well, friends, I guess the summer is winding down a little although you wouldn't know it with the record heat we've had here. Kids go back to school Monday. My butterflies are in pupa and aren't doing much after a flurry of activity last week. I've got headband projects all over my work station for the girls but can't seem to get my motor started. I'm in one of those thought purging pensive moods when my brain coughs up all kinds of random thoughts. Nothing seems to be important or even related, just enough to keep me thinking all day long about nothing really. Ugh. I need a change of pace. And don't suggest Duck Dynasty or Swamp People. Have a great weekend everybody!

Old 08-16-2013, 04:03 PM   #4094
Gallery Gazer

I hear ya Jean. I'm in limbo and am completely void of any routine (except for at work). I can't seem to concentrate and get things done that I want to do. Wish we had record heat waves. Summer, this year, sucked weather wise. We've had a TON of rain...record rainfall in June and it never got scorching hot as it normally does this time of year. Today is August 16 and it was only in the upper 70s. (And it rained...yesterday too) I made chili tonight. LOL

I signed up for creative ladder courses through MFT thinking it would keep me occupied but now I'm having problems accessing the materials and videos. Might be because I'm working off my tablet. Ugh, so frustrating. Can't wait to get my computer and craft room back. Oh, and a house! Not sure what the hold up with that is but they finally pulled the permits, got the lot staked and we've got our pre-construction meeting Thursday morning. Come on people, let's get moving! Literally!
Old 08-17-2013, 07:11 AM   #4095
Gallery Gazer

Is there anything worse than the smell of rotted potatoes? OMG! Disgusting, putrid, sour smelling potatoes. Apparently I left the bag of potatoes on the counter a little to long. By the smell and condition of them I'd guess a few weeks too long! Of course this was discovered only after I spilled and dripped the grotesque juice all over the countertop, down the front of the cabinets, on the floor, rug and my slippers. If you can ever avoid having to cleanup (or smelling) rotten potatoes, I highly recommend it.

On a separate note it is raining and below 80*. If I didn't know better I'd think I was in Seattle.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:22 AM   #4096
Stazon Splitcoast

The weather has been good here in Oregon since I got home - only a couple of showers but no rain to speak of, really. Which is good, because I think the transition from So Cal weather to Oregon weather is going to be a bit tough on me!

Hard to believe summer is almost over. I still have two promising job prospects - I just finished round 4 of the process for one job and have step three, an interview! - Monday for another job.
I'm really hopeful one of them pans out so I can have my own space again. The beach place is tiny and not much room for stamping, and my mom's house is pretty full with her and my sister and occasionally me.
Not much else exciting going on around here. Hope you all have a great weekend!

--Henri Matisse
Old 08-20-2013, 03:05 PM   #4097
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueline View Post
Is there anything worse than the smell of rotted potatoes? OMG! Disgusting, putrid, sour smelling potatoes. Apparently I left the bag of potatoes on the counter a little to long. By the smell and condition of them I'd guess a few weeks too long! Of course this was discovered only after I spilled and dripped the grotesque juice all over the countertop, down the front of the cabinets, on the floor, rug and my slippers. If you can ever avoid having to cleanup (or smelling) rotten potatoes, I highly recommend it.
No, rotten potatoes are the absolute WORST!!! I'm sorry this happened to you because it is awful!! And why is it that it that the bag always leaks and drips the smelly stuff everywhere?!?!?!
Old 08-20-2013, 03:07 PM   #4098
Glitter Guru

School is back in session! I have 16 second graders so far. They are all trying to learn to be pirates this week. I found out today one of my boys can't read color words. CAN'T READ COLOR WORDS IN 2ND GRADE? What is going on?
Old 08-21-2013, 07:07 AM   #4099
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by casep View Post
School is back in session! I have 16 second graders so far. They are all trying to learn to be pirates this week. I found out today one of my boys can't read color words. CAN'T READ COLOR WORDS IN 2ND GRADE? What is going on?
Return Department necessary. I think we should be able to take them back to the previous teacher when they are not what we expected. Wouldn't that be a hoot?

jacqueline and eliotstamps like this post.
Old 08-21-2013, 02:31 PM   #4100
Glitter Guru

I love that idea!
Old 08-24-2013, 12:54 PM   #4101
Gallery Gazer

Happy Saturday peeps! We had our preconstruction meeting Thursday...things should start moving now. It'll still be a couple more months but we're having fun in Calabash and were mortgage free at the moment so at this point I don't care how long it takes.

I've been getting in some good stamping time in lately. Going to start working on Halloween cards. I thought I brought my halloween stamps and paper but I couldn't find it...guess I packed them. No worries, I bought new stuff!

Well, it's back to school for some of you so happy learning!
eliotstamps and mrslaird like this post.
Old 08-24-2013, 12:58 PM   #4102
Glitter Guru

See, you forgot to bring your Halloween stamps and so you get new ones. It's all good. Since I have a pirate theme in my classroom this year I have been buying every nautical set I can find.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:15 PM   #4103
Stazon Splitcoast

I have a Halloween project I'm hoping to tackle soon, too. I "had" to buy some paper, though, because I don't know where mine is. I found some patterned papers for 8 sheets for $1 so I scooped up a few!

--Henri Matisse
Old 08-26-2013, 10:04 AM   #4104
Stazon Splitcoast

. Like to hear everyone is busy. I bought one of those Rainbow looms for making the rubber bands bracelets. I don't know what the H I'm going to do with all the bracelets but I sure am having fun! While Milt was getting a PVD checked out at the eye doctor today, I sat there happily making bracelets. I need to make some cards. My teacher buddy cleaned me out. Jacquie, you don't know how much your card picked me up today. I loved it. Your coloring is pretty darn good, too. Thank you so much, friend.

Michelle, aren't you going to toot your horn? I'll give you 24 hours about the fair.

We hatched out 5 swallowtails this week. Still a few more. We didn't collect eggs and larva this go round cause we're headed out west in a few weeks but we could market monarchs, I tell ya. So many this time. I think the 10 hatchlings are showing their appreciation.

Well keep having fun. Love you guys.

resqbarbie likes this post.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:11 PM   #4105
Stazon Splitcoast

Yep, busy, busy around here. Though no luck on the job front yet. Still waiting to hear about the one I interviewed for last week. And a lot of rejection Trying not to be discouraged, though.

I spent today packing school supplies for needy kids. My mom volunteers with a group that collects thousands of supplies, from paper to pencils to protractors, and they got sorted to each recipient school today. It's a big job we spent all day working on it, along a couple dozen other volunteers.

And yes, I do have news from the fair - I earned two second place ribbons (I submitted seven cards) which I am pretty pleased with for a first try. My sister got a second, third and an honorable mention for her stuff. Some of the first place stuff was pretty elaborate and not at all my style, but I have a better idea of what they are looking for now if I decide to enter again next year.

--Henri Matisse
Old 08-27-2013, 05:02 PM   #4106
Glitter Guru

My creativity this week is going into designing and printing notebook and journal covers for my kids. By the way, being a pirate is delightful!

Thanks to Michelle for the very pretty thank you card. Thanks to Jacqueline for the very special 40th year of teaching card as well. I agree with Jean, great coloring.
eliotstamps likes this post.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:34 PM   #4107
Glitter Guru

Silhouette just came out with a stamp making kit. It includes a special mat, polymer stamp medium, and 3 acrylic stamp mounts. I got the kit today. I can't wait to make a stamp.

Also, tomorrow is a special day, first payday since June. Yay!
Old 08-28-2013, 03:42 PM   #4108
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Michelle, aren't you going to toot your horn? I'll give you 24 hours about the fair.

Well keep having fun. Love you guys.
Dish! I wanna know!!

Glad your cards arrived safe & sound. I've been feeling creative lately. Hope to get started on Halloween ones over the long weekend.

Does anyone know where Kendall, FL is? We saw a sofa at Costco in Myrtle Beach we liked but when we went back they were all gone. They've got one in Kendall and 5 up in New Jersey. Luckily, we got the manufacturer so we may be able to go up to High Point, NC and get it there. We found a bedroom set we like also at another store and are still looking for a kitchen set and refrigerator. We'll get a new dining room set after we get settled...I want to sell our current one first.

The boys came over tonight (overnight) without incident. Surprise, surprise. You mean all of a sudden, it's not an issue anymore? Could it be because court has been scheduled for a couple of weeks? Hopefully, we'll get heard. Geez.
Old 08-28-2013, 04:58 PM   #4109
Glitter Guru

Kendall, FL is way down at the bottom of the state, near Miami.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:02 PM   #4110
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by casep View Post
Kendall, FL is way down at the bottom of the state, near Miami.
Darn...I thought maybe we could sneak in a trip to the sunshine state.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:26 AM   #4111
Gallery Gazer

Not a chatty bunch at all. What up nuts?

Michelle's 24-hour window is long gone.

Bought a new refrigerator yesterday. We took advantage of the labor day sales and saved over $1500 on a new 31 cubic foot Kenmore Elite w/ French doors. We decided to purchase the fridge on our own rather than having it rolled into the mortgage. Can't wait for the house to be done so I can use all my new stuff. Fun fun.

I've been looking at craft room ideas...Joe is going to put up cabints, shelves, island, etc. Just need to decide how I want it set up, color, etc. Decisions, decisions.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:11 AM   #4112
Stazon Splitcoast

Post 4105. She took prizes at the fair. Congrats on new fridge.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #4113
Glitter Guru

It is fun to set up the craft room. I just replaced my small table with a laminate top. I used 4 closet maid units to hold it up. One has drawers, one has shelves, one has a cabinet, and one has cubbies. I put the units together and had the top made-to-order at Lowes. I love it. Congrats on the new fridge as well. We just got the French-door-with -freezer-on-the-bottom kind. Much more room in the freezer than in our side by side fridge/freezer.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:13 AM   #4114
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Post 4105. She took prizes at the fair. Congrats on new fridge.
So sorry...don't know how I completely missed that. Duh. CONGRATS MICHELLE!!!! How exciting. Did you get your ribbons yet? Was there a cash prize too? NC gives ribbons and cash. I haven't completely decided if I'm entering...I didn't last year and I'd like to take a little trip to Raleigh to drop off my entries although I have no desire to actually go to the fair. They usually mail my stuff back to me. Did yoy post your entries in your gallery? Confrats to yoyr sis too - that's fabulous!

Pat - the silhouette stamp maker sounds interesting...I'm still trying to master cutting simple things. My cameo is in storage so I'll need to refresh myself once we get settled.

Having most things in storage really makes me stop and think that I don't really need all the stuff I have. Everything from clothes, furniture, artwork, make-up, linens, jewelry, etc. I've been managing just fine with limited items and don't even miss the stuff (except for a few things i.e. computer, bed). And do need a bigger kitchen too, definitely.

You been staying out of mischief Jean?
Old 09-11-2013, 10:18 AM   #4115
Stazon Splitcoast

Thinking about you today, D! (((HUGS)))

--Henri Matisse
resqbarbie likes this post.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:27 AM   #4116
Stazon Splitcoast

Been quiet around here! A quick update from me:
I didn't get either of the jobs I interviewed for, which was both a bummer and a blessing. I don't think either job was the right fit for me, but I really would like to get back to work. I am bored and restless and really missing having my own space. And I wouldn't mind having a paycheck again, either! I am trying to stay positive but it's been a frustrating couple weeks on the job front.

I spent a few days watching my friend's kids - she's a teacher and had to be back at work before the kids started school. It was fun, but I was worn out after that!

I haven't gotten my ribbons from the fair yet; my sister was supposed to pick them up for me. I have photos of the cards somewhere, I will see if I can find them.

This weekend is the big Oktoberfest held in a small town near where I grew up and I am excited to go hear some oompah music and eat some sausage! Yum. Also, I am going to my first college football game - to see the Oregon Ducks play. My friend has season tickets. I don't know anything about football, but I think it will be fun to see what all the fuss is about!

Oh, and I also did a little stamping, but not a ton. Made some cute Halloween treats that I still need to share in my gallery. Been taking all my photos with my phone, so the pictures aren't that great.

Ok, that is all for me. Hope you all are doing well. Can't believe it's fall already!

--Henri Matisse
Old 09-13-2013, 05:47 AM   #4117
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi Michelle. So sorry about the job front. Sounds like you are busy, though. Do you know Brenda, tessaduck? She's a big Ducks fan! I don't know where she is in Oregon but maybe you will connect with her some day. Have fun at the game.

Things have been quiet here. Went over to help in Pat's classroom last Friday and then stayed for VSN. Her mom had taken a bad tumble the weekend before so that developed into a little more than anyone expected. Glad to say she is not broken.

We're getting ready for another vacation by rail which only turns out to be two nights, 1 each way. We leave from Chicago for Winslow Arizona and then do some national and state parks finishing up in Moab UT again at the Red Cliffs resort. Praying my knees hold out. Went to a new ortho a couple of weeks ago. I really liked her. She says I will eventually want a new knee but is willing to work with me right now and try other avenues. Refreshing. Most specialist doctors I go to want to do the million dollar stuff immediately. I know my quality of life would improve with a new replacement but I'm just not ready. It just seems so macabre to me. Really, Jean? Yes, really. Dr. Frankenstein. I am considering suing the Catholic Church for all the time I spent on my knees as a kid in parochial school!!!!!

jacqueline and eliotstamps like this post.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:04 PM   #4118
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
I am considering suing the Catholic Church for all the time I spent on my knees as a kid in parochial school!!!!!
LMAO...Word. Class action lawsuit?? Afterall, the Cathlic church is one of the richest and most powerful organizations in the world. They're like the mafia of religions with all their guilt and " punishments" and all. Have you ever had the edge of a pew come down on your foot? Owie!

Michelle, sorry too about the job prospects but everything happens for a reason. Your golden job will pop up at the right time. Meanwhile enjoy your freedom and the time you can spend with your mom and friends.

Pat, hope your mom is recovering from her tumble. I hope those little squirts in your class aren't giving yoy a hard time. How fun it must be to have Jean around to help (and play). Makes me miss tow-dolly Michele even more.

Not much going on here...they got the form board set and the plumbing pipes in, they should pour the concrete tomorrow or early next week. Then, they'll start framing it. Can't wait to see it when it actually starts lookjng like a house.

Hoping to get a little stamping time in this weekend. Have a good weekend everyone.
Old 09-13-2013, 01:58 PM   #4119
Stazon Splitcoast

Post pics when you go to visit the house so we can "watch" it being built with you, Jacq!

Old 09-13-2013, 04:37 PM   #4120
Glitter Guru

No, my pirate crew does not give me a hard time. If they did I might make them walk the plank, and they know it. If you ever get the chance to be a pirate captain, take it. It's so much fun.

Yes, please take pix when the house starts to come together.