Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree230Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 05:00 AM   #3961
Stazon Splitcoast

I made three graduation cards over the weekend. They're all the same but turned out great. (she says humbly) They are twisted easel cards. I hadn't done those before. Fun. Still haven't done my own challenge? Nobody is surprised, right?

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 05-09-2013, 11:55 AM   #3962
Stazon Splitcoast

Was finally released by the sinus doctor today. It was an upsetting visit for this old former teacher/administrator. A boy about 16 or 17 came in and his face was battered. He was holding his ribs and one of his hands was bandaged. I knew immediately that he had been in a fight at school. He was a mess. My ENT hospitalized him, set up immediate surgery for his nose. He's going to have a long road in front of him. It seems like the more attention we give to bullying prevention, the more prevalent it gets. I don't know. It just seems to dominate the news these days.

Old 05-09-2013, 02:30 PM   #3963
Stazon Splitcoast

Ok, I have to ask - what does an "all clear" from the sinus doc mean? Are you free to resume blowing your nose or smelling things?

Share a pic of your grad cards, please!

And yikes about the poor young man who was beaten up. Bullying of all kinds is terrible. I did receive a heartwarming email today though, from a young man who had been in trouble for bullying in the past and now volunteers in his school's peer buddy program, where general ed kids build friendships with special ed kids. He just wanted people to know the program was making a difference in his life and in the other kids' lives, too. So at least there's a little hope out there.

Creativity takes courage.
--Henri Matisse
Old 05-09-2013, 02:32 PM   #3964
Stazon Splitcoast

In other news, I am looking for a new job, looking for a new place to live and slowly rebuilding my computer. (oh, and working the usual crazy schedule, too!) But I did squeeze in a little time for stamping when my computer was down and I couldn't do much else. I made a red card and and orange card for Jean's challenge but haven't uploaded them yet. I also made a few scrap pages, which helped boost my mojo a bit, I think!

OK, better get back to work. I have a late meeting tonight and a fun assignment tomorrow and then it is the weekend! Yay!

--Henri Matisse
Old 05-11-2013, 05:03 AM   #3965
Stazon Splitcoast

Michelle, I hope you find what you are looking for--job, home, computer fixes--all included. Ha ha on the ENT release. Just means no more scheduled appointments you goof! Thanks for the story about the young man working with special ed kids. Needed that.

eliotstamps likes this post.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #3966
Gallery Gazer

Glad you got an all better report from the doctor Jean. Meanwhile, I'm still trying to get rid of a three-month eye infection. I go back to the doctor on Monday. I'm sick of wearing my glasses all the time.

We thought someone was going to make an offer on the condo but we haven't heard back yet. I wish they'd do something soon or else I may end up divorced before we even get a house. Remind me one more time why I got married? Ugh! We're only coming up on three years...I don't know how people stay married for 20, 30, 40 years. My parents are a week away from their 48th anniversary, but then again, my father isn't a pain in the *****.

Don't want to turn this into a ***** session, so I'll change the subject. I think I've finally found my stamping niche with My Favorite Things. I've accumulated a bunch of MFT products over the past few months and gravitate towards that gallery and blog when looking for ideas. After we move, I'll probably weed through a ton of stuff and purge. I've been thinking about how I want to set up my new room ie. color, storage, etc. I'll have a lot more space because I'll have the entire room and closet.

Hope you all have a lovely Mother's day whether you're a mom or not. We all have someone that looks up to us.

I've made a few cards but haven't had time to upload to my gallery.
Old 05-12-2013, 04:45 AM   #3967
Stazon Splitcoast

Marriage. **** ****** ***** ******* ***** ***** ****** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** *****.

Old 05-12-2013, 04:49 AM   #3968
Stazon Splitcoast

Only kidding. Couldn't resist. I saw the bleeps in your post, Jacq! Marriage is definitely something you have to work at and I've headed for the door many times and I've got a gem. You just get tired. Tired of the routine, tired of being taken for granted. Lonely. Yes, believe it or not, lonely. It helps to have a good friend who reminds you that you have overlooked the good things and that if anything happened to your DH, you'd be devastated. Hang in there. Sounds like some little touches of romance are in order. Time to crank out some good music, candles, and wine.

Old 05-12-2013, 04:53 AM   #3969
Stazon Splitcoast

Speaking of good music. Put this one on the ipod. Gives me chills.

[HD] Andrea Bocelli & Jennifer Lopez - Quizas, Quizas, Quizas - DWTS 16 (Results) - YouTube

Old 05-12-2013, 04:55 AM   #3970
Stazon Splitcoast

Happy Mother's Day to everyone. You are all mothers to someone.

Back in the day, we called this one a Dubonnet Cocktail!

Queen Mother

Serves 1

1 part gin
2 parts Dubonnet
Orange or lemon twist to garnish (optional)

Pour one part gin and two parts Dubonnet over lots of ice and stir. I like it ungarnished but many people have a lemon or orange twist (or both). Dubonnet, incidentally, was originally designed in the 19th century as a way for French legionnaires to drink quinine to protect against malaria – in the same way that tonic was.

Last edited by naturecoastcrafter; 05-12-2013 at 05:16 AM.. Reason: add
Old 05-12-2013, 04:58 AM   #3971
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh, sorry, Mish. I mailed the cards without taking a photo of them. Here's a link to where I got the idea.

CASE cards / nice idea.... a twisted-easel GRADUATION card in school colors!

Old 05-12-2013, 09:28 AM   #3972
Stazon Splitcoast

Happy Mother's Day to all of you. These are the days I wish I lived closer to my mom, because she's awesome and I could spoil her more easily. Eliot's not one for giving me gifts, but she is keeping my feet warm under the table at the moment, so that makes up for it!

Jacq, I have no advice. Just lots of (((Hugs))) and wishes that the condo will sell and you can move to a bigger space. After living alone for so long, I think it would be hard to adjust to a house full of people, no matter what the circumstances!

Jean, love your grad card idea! I pinned it to my board for the future.

I uploaded my red and orange rainbow cards yesterday; haven't worked on any other colors, though.
Here's the red: Red and Yellow Thanks 5.13 by eliotstamps - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
And here's the orange: Cantelope and moss thanks by eliotstamps - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Ok, off to fill out job apps and do laundry. That's my exciting Sunday plans! Have a great day, everyone.

--Henri Matisse
Old 05-14-2013, 04:28 PM   #3973
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

hope all you Mom's had a great weekend....I was out of commission with a migraine but otherwise it was good. At least I made it to brunch! PS Pat and Jean you gotta get to Has House A Go Go...it's in the I-Drive area but really worth it!

Again I am MIA...the last few weeks of school are a PITA!
Old 05-17-2013, 12:25 PM   #3974
Stazon Splitcoast

Okay, damn it, I've stopped in here several times a day and nobody's home. I hope you're having a good time wherever you are. (Preparing for the censor as I hit Post.)

Old 05-18-2013, 07:57 AM   #3975
Gallery Gazer

I know, me too Jean.

Joe and the boys are at the library now...when they get back we're going to the pool. Even though it's a beautiful day, I'd rather be stamping! I don't seem to get to spend as much time lately.

We found a house we both loved (after looking at a bunch and many arguments) only to find out it's already under contract. I am getting so discouraged. Building is still an option, just don't like many of the neighborhoods. Ugh! So frustrating. We're still waiting to hear if that lady that was interested in the condo is going to make an offer. Her agent keeps leading us to believe she is close. Man, get off the pot already!!!

Supposed to go to court Monday, but I think it may be postponed. Who knows? We did get the summer scedule which, surprisingly, is split evenly. We're going to sign the kids up for Y day camp for one of each 2 week rotation. That way, they'll be active and with kids during the day and with grandma & grandpa the other week while Joe & I are at work. SO much easier to plan things when we know what's going on.

Well, that's enough of an update for now...hope y'all have a great weekend. Our warm weather has finally arrived. Yay! Toodles noodles.
Old 05-18-2013, 08:57 AM   #3976
Stazon Splitcoast

I am so pleased that you all include the library as an activity with the boys and that you encourage reading. Good on you. I wish things would happen for you, too, Jacq. Sounds lie Beeeeelady is coming around and is over Joe finally.

Old 05-18-2013, 12:37 PM   #3977
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturecoastcrafter View Post
Speaking of good music. Put this one on the ipod. Gives me chills.

[HD] Andrea Bocelli & Jennifer Lopez - Quizas, Quizas, Quizas - DWTS 16 (Results) - YouTube
Oh, saw this performance! Great!
Old 05-18-2013, 12:48 PM   #3978
Hardware Hotshot

Well, I lost my notifications again. No surprise huh? So I'm catching up.

Sorry to hear about your computer, Michelle. Hope it's all fixed. Also best wishes in your job and apartment hunt. Good luck!

Wishing you good news in the condo selling department, Jacqueline. I sympathize with your house hunt. I thought I'd never find the right house! But I did! So will you. It's just so frustrating while you are looking. I'm glad to hear you have a schedule for the summer so you can make your plans.

Hi, D! So sorry to hear you had a migraine on Mother's Day. The Hash House looked fun though.

Well, I have 13 days left of this school year. I've decided to teach one more year because I think it sounds better to say you taught for 40 years instead of 39. Besides, my second graders are delightful.

Yesterday the second grade went on a field trip to Howard Middle School which is a performing arts magnet school. We saw Once Upon a Mattress and I was so pleased to see two of my former fourth-graders in lead parts! I just made them cards that have the bed with all the mattresses piled up on the front. (cut on my Silhouette.)

Will try to keep up with you now!
Old 05-18-2013, 02:26 PM   #3979
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Was finally released by the sinus doctor today. It was an upsetting visit for this old former teacher/administrator. A boy about 16 or 17 came in and his face was battered. He was holding his ribs and one of his hands was bandaged. I knew immediately that he had been in a fight at school. He was a mess. My ENT hospitalized him, set up immediate surgery for his nose. He's going to have a long road in front of him. It seems like the more attention we give to bullying prevention, the more prevalent it gets. I don't know. It just seems to dominate the news these days.
Did you hear what the fight was about? Here most middle and high school fights are over a girl (or boy)!
Old 05-18-2013, 03:00 PM   #3980
Stazon Splitcoast

My big news is I am still looking for a new job but have put off a search for a new place to live because I don't want to be tied up in a lease if the new job is not within driving distance. I hate applying for jobs and it feels like it is more work than it ever was in the past, but I really, really need to throw everything at it that I can.

Not much time for crafting lately, and what I have been doing is mostly digital scrapbooking, because now that I know a little bit about how to do it, I'm finding it very fun, plus it's easy to do on the computer and doesn't take much space or mess.

I'm also spending a lot of time cleaning out junk for if - make that when - I move. Not very exciting and a lot stressful right now, but hopefully it will lead to some positive results. All good thoughts are welcome.

OK, better get back to it. The weekends are never long enough.

--Henri Matisse
Old 05-18-2013, 03:02 PM   #3981
Stazon Splitcoast

Also, I have a ticket for the $600 million lotto jackpot tonight, and I haven't won anything for awhile .... a little cash could go a long way to changing my work/life situation!

--Henri Matisse
casep likes this post.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:08 PM   #3982
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
I am so pleased that you all include the library as an activity with the boys and that you encourage reading. Good on you. I wish things would happen for you, too, Jacq. Sounds lie Beeeeelady is coming around and is over Joe finally.
No, more like she's trying to be on the straight & narrow now that she realizes court is on the horizon and she's going to have a lot of explaining to do to the judge.

Wow Pat...40 years. That's awesome, good for you.

Sounds like you have a plan Michelle. Things always seem to work out for you so I know the perfect job and a great place will come up. Hang in there. I made a couple of digi scrapbook pages recently, just to try it out. Haven't printed them yet though...it's on my to do list.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:21 PM   #3983
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for the encouragement, Jacq. I need it right now! I am kind of at the breaking point at work so if something doesn't change soon, things could get ugly.

As for the digi, I printed a couple of pages at Shutterfly, but they were really expensive. Then I tried this place: Scrapping Simply - the pages are much cheaper to print and shipping is a flat $5. They come out beautifully, and I got mine quickly, so I would highly recommend them. They run specials each week, too.

--Henri Matisse
Old 05-18-2013, 04:24 PM   #3984
Stazon Splitcoast

and yes, Pat, congrats on 40 years!!! That is awesome. I'm glad you enjoy your second-graders enough to do another year.

--Henri Matisse
Old 05-18-2013, 04:27 PM   #3985
Stazon Splitcoast

Here are a couple of my digi pages; these were lessons from the Jessica Sprague class I took but I took a lot of liberties to make the designs my own. I am still doing Project Life digitally, too, but I have fallen behind on that, by like a month! Don't feel like I can take time right now to really catch up, but maybe next weekend over Memorial Day I will.
Attached Thumbnails
lesson-10web.jpg   lesson8-wineweb.jpg  

--Henri Matisse
Old 05-18-2013, 05:17 PM   #3986
Hardware Hotshot

Love your pages, Michelle! I have so much digital paper, but I don't do digital scrapbooking. I like it because I can scale the patterns for cards and for when I have a big project where I need a lot of sheets of paper because I can print my own. I printed digital paper just today because I'm making 50 cards for our ADDitions reception this week.

I don't have 40 years yet, just 39 this year. (did I say JUST 39?)
Old 05-20-2013, 07:31 AM   #3987
Stazon Splitcoast

Your pages are GREAT, Michelle. Your mother is a hoot. Love the Happy Hour pics, too.

Everybody hang on tight. There has to be better road ahead! Pat, I thought you'd be leaving with the medical examiner. Glad you're thinking about retirement. Then we can do fun stuff together. Well, more fun stuff. Not like we used to do in our 20s kinda stuff. And I don't mean that kind of stuff, Jacquie. Michelle, you are an award winning journalist now--toot your horn--make a parade. It's time. It's way over due.

Old 05-24-2013, 04:46 AM   #3988
Stazon Splitcoast

Yesterday I had quite the adventure. Milt and I drove to the Giraffe Ranch which has been open to the public for three years--who knew? They don't advertise and it's a ranch run by the man who ran the Busch Gardens wildlife areas for a long time. Now, I don't like zoos. They always make me feel guilty and creepy. I must say that this ranch however had a whole different feel. The animals were very healthy for the first thing. They had a lot of room to move around. There were no high up the line predators. I rode a camel for over an hour and got up close and personal with the animals, well as well as you can from the height of a camel back. I will say that riding a camel is not something I will ever do again in my life and my husband owes me big time for having agreed to do it, but it was an unmatched experience so far! My camel's name was Doofus, and he owned up to every letter of it. The camel at the rear guard was Omar. I loved him. He would stick his head up under my arm when we stopped to look at animals, looking for a hug. It was a rough ride, and I cried "enough" after an hour, but it was an experience of a lifetime. Now, onto the hot air balloon and helicopter ride.

jacqueline likes this post.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:55 AM   #3989
Stazon Splitcoast

Here are some pics. It was hard to take pics. I wanted to enjoy the experience and holding onto a camel and a camera are not the easiest things in the world. And by the way, of the about 20 people there for the afternoon safaris, we were the only two damn fools who opted to pay $$$$$$ to ride the camels. The smart people went by truck.
Attached Thumbnails
ahab.jpg   cameltrain.jpg   omar.jpg  

Last edited by naturecoastcrafter; 05-24-2013 at 05:08 AM..
jacqueline likes this post.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #3990
Hardware Hotshot

I don't know about that. You can ride in a truck every day. How often do you ride on a camel?!?!?! Those kind of memories are priceless. Love the pix.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:31 PM   #3991
Stazon Splitcoast

I agree with Pat. Next time you visit, you can ride in the truck, Jean!
Love the pics of the camels and the fun story behind them.

I am trying to finish up work so I can start enjoying my three-day weekend. Hopefully just another 30 minutes or so!

--Henri Matisse
casep likes this post.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:32 PM   #3992
Gallery Gazer

Default BIG NEWS!!!

Well, we're officially under contract!! It's exciting and scary at the same time. Our closing is July 15 and we have no idea where we're moving to. We've been looking but nothing has grabbed us yet. So many decisions. And, the thought of all my beloved craft items packed up for who knows how long is depressing. But, on the bright side, I will have a brand new craft room all to myself and the boys will have their own bedroom. Fingers crossed everything goes well with the inspection and without a hitch. Active due diligence expires on June 7, so we've got about two weeks before we're in the clear.

Jean, what a fun experience. I don't know that I would do that...I don't even like riding horses, let alone a camel! Doofus...LOL. Joe's camel was named Cracker. Sounds like you and Milton had a wonderful journey.

Hope you're all doing great. I may be here sporadically because most of my time will be spent working, packing and looking for a place to live (other than the car). Wish me luck!
Old 05-24-2013, 07:44 PM   #3993
Stazon Splitcoast

Yay, Jacq!!!! That is so fantastic. I am sure you will find just the right new home with lots of space for crafting and boy stuff and everything!

--Henri Matisse
Old 05-25-2013, 08:53 AM   #3994
Hardware Hotshot

Yay, Jacqueline! Now the right house will pop up! Just at the right moment.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:19 AM   #3995
Stazon Splitcoast

Wow, Jacq. Things are moving now. Good luck! Michelle, that means the karma is headed your way.

Last night we attended the commencement at New College in Sarasota. What an evening of entertainment. The candidates do not wear caps and gowns. Oh no, the majority wear costumes. We had a shogun, a jedi knight, a star trek commander, a wood nymph, a couple of drag queens, horse's heads, bird heads, fish hats, purple hair, mohawks, full morning tails with top hats and canes. It was very interesting. Even the teaching staff had an aura about them as well as the fog of pot! The speaker was good, the jazz band was good, the high school band playing the processional and recessional were good. Unfortunately, the company we were with were not so good. But the sun set, the beautiful moon came up and it was a beautiful evening. I wonder if they'd let us sneak in next year?

casep likes this post.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:31 AM   #3996
Stazon Splitcoast

If you have nothing better to do:

New College Graduation | Photo Galleries | HeraldTribune.com

Now arencha sorry you had to wear that cap and gown?

Old 05-25-2013, 02:06 PM   #3997
Gallery Gazer

Default the right house popped up!!!

I think we found our house!! Boy, things are moving along. It's in one of the neighborhoods we originally considered but were going back and forth with it. We don't have time to build a new one but this one is at a stage where we can still choose our fixtures and it already has the extra features we would have wanted to add...9 ft. ceilings, recessed lights, wood floors, taller kitchen cabinets, etc. It'll be finished by the end of June so well be able to move right in. I think it's a sign. We even saw a little deer at the stream as we walked through the nature trail!

Mom & Dad are coming tomorrow to take a look before we submit our offer. Dad's our buyer's agent and he knows the builder so hopefully he can finagle a deal. Keep your fingers crossed for us.

Last edited by jacqueline; 05-25-2013 at 02:11 PM..
casep and naturecoastcrafter like this post.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:10 PM   #3998
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Wow, Jacq. Things are moving now. Good luck! Michelle, that means the karma is headed your way.

Last night we attended the commencement at New College in Sarasota. What an evening of entertainment. The candidates do not wear caps and gowns. Oh no, the majority wear costumes. We had a shogun, a jedi knight, a star trek commander, a wood nymph, a couple of drag queens, horse's heads, bird heads, fish hats, purple hair, mohawks, full morning tails with top hats and canes. It was very interesting. Even the teaching staff had an aura about them as well as the fog of pot! The speaker was good, the jazz band was good, the high school band playing the processional and recessional were good. Unfortunately, the company we were with were not so good. But the sun set, the beautiful moon came up and it was a beautiful evening. I wonder if they'd let us sneak in next year?
Sound like a hoot Jean. My sister graduated from the North Carolina School of the Arts and they had a party every year that was similar...very creative. Instead of playing Pomp & Circumstance, her graduating class walked in to the theme song from Peter Gunn.
Old 05-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #3999
Stazon Splitcoast

Yeah, "one toke over the line" would have been more appropriate for this group. Congratulations on the house.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:32 AM   #4000
Gallery Gazer

Enjoy the holiday. I had such a nice long weekend (4 days). Had a lot to do...might actually get some crafty time in today.