Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree315Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2013, 06:11 AM   #1
New Mommy

Send a message via MSN to jkincolorado
Default ***Misfit Monday (8-1-13)***

Good morning - it's August!!!!!!!!

Brandon has today off from work. He has a meeting at the hospital until noon, and then he's free the rest of the day. I'm making lemon brownies and we're going to go surprise his co-workers at his old job.

Farmer's market this morning - we can't get enough of the pickling cucumbers. They are SO delicious!!
Old 08-01-2013, 06:39 AM   #2
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Good morning! The summer is going by so quickly!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-01-2013, 08:51 AM   #3
Die Cut Diva

Cat - I agree the summer is flying by! We start school on 8/26, but the band kids have marching band every day 8 - 12:45, so it is like they are already in school.

Thank you all again for validating my feelings on this other mom!
If I even thought about asking someone to keep Corrie for 2 weeks, I would have loaded them up with juice, snacks, bread, peanut butter, etc! I would not expect anyone, not even my mom to provide everything!
It will be ok! It has to be!

Work has been awful this morning. I'm really looking forward to the weekend!

I hope everyone has a great day!

Sherry
Old 08-01-2013, 10:33 AM   #4
Stazon Splitcoast

I harvested my first eggplant today and some frying peppers. My tomatoes are not doing well this year but I have had a couple. Dreary day here!
redapron and hedgiemama like this post.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:35 AM   #5
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenguin View Post
I harvested my first eggplant today and some frying peppers. My tomatoes are not doing well this year but I have had a couple. Dreary day here!

Love eggplant... it is delicious when added to spaghetti sauce, one of my favorites.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:38 AM   #6
Stazon Splitcoast

I am going to fry it. Even my kids love fried eggplant and I always fry the first one. What a treat with some homegrown tomatoes and fresh mozarella!!
redapron, nikki1578 and caterinafmig like this post.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:02 AM   #7
Stazon Splitcoast

jennifer- have a fun day. Sure wish the farmers market was closer. It is over a mile a way and carrying things that far is hard on this old body.

jen- I too love eggplant. No on else here does. I have to tell you about the creamy potato eggplant soup my mom made. remember she was blind. The soup was interesting with this thin purple/black strands floating. She hadn't done a very good job of peeling the skin off. It was hard to eat, but tasted good after we pulled all the skins out!

Sherry- I know what you mean about summer. I will be back to work on the 21st. Dh and I have done nothing for fun due to his surgery. I want/need a vacation.

Caterina- are you still in seventh's heaven after your volunteer time at the hospital?

Nothing is impossible, the word itself says ‘I’m possible’ Audrey Hepburn[

Joan
Old 08-01-2013, 11:29 AM   #8
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Jennifer - I LOVE eggplant. I had a recipe to make a baked eggplant - it was a healthier version that frying. I wonder what I did with it. I think it was basically the same although you added cheddar crackers in with the breadcrumbs. Instead of frying, you baked it. I think that was the difference. It was really good. I just don't get eggplant that much as I'm the only one who really likes it.

Afternoon. I'm frustrated today. My SIL is doing WW (which is a great thing) and has lost 28 lbs (also a great thing). But she made a comment to me yesterday on Facebook that has me thinking too much (which I always do). She said her diet won't be the only thing she talks about but that it is a priority. I will definitely support her, but I don't want her to tell me what I'm doing wrong. She is NOT an unkind person and would be doing this totally from the bottom of her heart, but I'm already stressing.

I lost over 40 lbs. And it barely showed. She has lost 28 and I know she looks better. All of a sudden I feel as if I've been punched and am feeling really, really low again. You all know how much I love my beach time and now I'm starting to worry. I wish I didn't do that. I hate that I'm basically a pessimistic person.

So, now that I'm feeling down I don't feel like doing the things I need to do.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:44 AM   #9
Mad Swapper

I knew I was exhausted, and I guess I was right! I slept until 10:30 this morning! I never sleep that late!!!

I read a story that was going to shake up our little town up today. A 16 year old boy that was a geek even back in 1967, shot and killed his parents and 17 year old sister. He had a habit of sniffing glue, and admitted to have planned the murders a week in advance. He went to trial, and was said to be brilliant, have an extremely high IQ and have paranoid schizophrenia. He was found to be temporary insane, and sentenced to the state mental hospital until he was no longer insane. Six years later, he was released a free man. He received inheritance money from his family, and no one ever saw or heard from James Wilcott again.
James received his GED, and legally changed his name to James David St. James. He received his master's degree in Psychology in 1980, received his PH.D in 1988. He started teaching at Millikin University, in Decatur, IL in the Behavior Sciences Department and was named outstanding teacher in 1997. He is currently an associate Professor of Psychology.

I LIVE LESS THAN 5 MILES FROM MILLIKIN UNIVERSITY. DAVID JAMES ST. JAMES LIVES EVEN CLOSER TO ME. Until yesterday afternoon, when a reporter from his small home town that he left behind when he was 16 years old, he thought he would live out his life as a man that people in my town respected, and his students loved. No one had a clue to his gruesome past.

Now what???
Our town is in shock today!!!

~~~LINDA~~~

We had to get rid of the kids~~~

~~~The cats were allergic!!!
Old 08-01-2013, 11:49 AM   #10
Mad Swapper

Smile

I have never eaten eggplant. Would some of you share your recipes for something that I'm sure to like? Thanks!

~~~LINDA~~~

Old 08-01-2013, 11:56 AM   #11
Mad Swapper

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor View Post
Jennifer - I LOVE eggplant. I had a recipe to make a baked eggplant - it was a healthier version that frying. I wonder what I did with it. I think it was basically the same although you added cheddar crackers in with the breadcrumbs. Instead of frying, you baked it. I think that was the difference. It was really good. I just don't get eggplant that much as I'm the only one who really likes it.

Afternoon. I'm frustrated today. My SIL is doing WW (which is a great thing) and has lost 28 lbs (also a great thing). But she made a comment to me yesterday on Facebook that has me thinking too much (which I always do). She said her diet won't be the only thing she talks about but that it is a priority. I will definitely support her, but I don't want her to tell me what I'm doing wrong. She is NOT an unkind person and would be doing this totally from the bottom of her heart, but I'm already stressing.

I lost over 40 lbs. And it barely showed. She has lost 28 and I know she looks better. All of a sudden I feel as if I've been punched and am feeling really, really low again. You all know how much I love my beach time and now I'm starting to worry. I wish I didn't do that. I hate that I'm basically a pessimistic person.

So, now that I'm feeling down I don't feel like doing the things I need to do.
Joann, Please don't let her bring you down, especially on your Beach Vacation!!!
I DO understand though! When I was very depressed those weeks, I just didn't care what I ate! I know I gained some weight back. I haven't gotten on the scale, but my clothes tell me! I WILL get it back off!!!

But, you have been looking forward to the beach, and you enjoy every second of your time there!!!

~~~LINDA~~~

redapron likes this post.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:20 PM   #12
Stazon Splitcoast

Joanne- I so agree with Linda- I am also a pessimist and tend to take things to much to heart. Please don't let her ruin your vacation. Have you spoken to Bill about it? Maybe he can help her stay off your back. Just don't fret. as I know thta is easier said than done.

Linda- WOW! I guess if he has changed his life and has been a contributing member of his community, who are we to judge. I pray that people will be kind and caring.

Joan
Old 08-01-2013, 12:27 PM   #13
Mad Swapper

I posted the full story on FaceBook

My mother's best friend, Shirley's Grandson just got diagnosed with Schizophrenia. His mother came home, and Nick was standing on the staircase, pointing a pellet gun at her. She kicked him out of the house, and had all the locks changed. His father is a Radiologist, and rented an apartment for Nick, and got him some mental help.

The story is very sad. The father has never been in Nick's life.

Nick is going into a home with other young men with schiz., and has to take a daily shot for the rest of his life. From what Shilrley tells me, Nick needs a second, and maybe a third, before accepting this diagnoses and treatment.

~~~LINDA~~~

Last edited by lindalaskowski; 08-01-2013 at 12:41 PM..
Old 08-01-2013, 12:56 PM   #14
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

I really should point out that my SIL (my brother's wife) is the sweetest, most supportive person you could ever know. She would not do anything to knowingly hurt anyone. I sent her an email letting her know that I feel like a failure in my dieting plan and that I wish her nothing but support, but to know that I might not be jumping for joy. I think she'll understand. I just wanted her to know. She would not do anything to make me feel bad if she can avoid it.

Linda, schizophrenia and many other illness, mental and physical, can take awhile to 'understand'. My friend's son (25) was just diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis. He isn't exactly in denial, but it is tough coming to terms with what he is going to need to do. Mental illness are often worse to try to come to terms with. I didn't want to admit I had depression. It took well over a year for me to get my head wrapped around that, realize I needed help, meds, etc.

And, obviously, as my earlier post indicates, it doesn't necessarily go away.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:45 PM   #15
Stazon Splitcoast

Joanne - your weight loss journey is your own. No one else's. You don't have to apologize or explain to anyone anything you are feeling or thinking about on your journey. Offer your congratulations and leave it at that.

Please have your friend's son with MS get himself to a naturapath or other Lyme literate doctor. MS is so linked with Lyme. It is quite possible he has Lyme, not MS.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:48 PM   #16
Stazon Splitcoast

I bake and grill my eggplant too but the first one is always eggplant cutlets. YUM!

I also make eggplant fries. (Think fried zucchini but baked.) I also make a decadent eggplant/sausage dish that is NOT healthy. LOL I'll write down the recipe the next time I make it!
Old 08-01-2013, 02:32 PM   #17
Stazon Splitcoast

Jen- you're so wise!

Linda- thinking of you!

Joanne- I am happy that you could tell your SIL before vacation.

Joan
Old 08-01-2013, 03:01 PM   #18
Swapper of the Month January 2013

Send a message via MSN to nikki1578 Send a message via Yahoo to nikki1578

well I survived the 2s today hahaha. but it was a LONG DAY for sure 730-6 in that room . I did take a break though. Tomorrow we have field day to start the end of our summer time. I cant wait for school to start back need some structure and back in my room.

hope you all had a great day today.

HUGS TO ALL
jenguin likes this post.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:27 PM   #19
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Jen - I'm pretty sure they did a Lyme test on him. He had lost mobility in the left side of his body and in the hospital for three or four days. I remember reading up on Lyme a few years ago, but don't remember this being a symptom. His sister is a nurse and made she he was seen by the best group of doctors.

Thank you, too, for your kind words. I'm just so mad at myself that I got off 40 lbs and then gained back 30. I used to be very good at sticking with things. Anything. But not anymore.

Nikki - I'm sure those 2 year olds enjoyed every minute today.
Old 08-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #20
Stazon Splitcoast

Joanne - I know I've said it but myfitnesspal is what worked for me. I need to be held super accountable and if you have a smart phone it makes it so easy. When I look up the calories in something I really question whether it is worth it. Sometimes it is and sometimes not. I also weigh/measure everything except for my one cheat meal/day a week. That is really eye opening.

You will do it. I believe in you! Don't be too hard on yourself. I know that is why we struggle with our weight - being too hard on ourselves! Tomorrow is a new day!
Old 08-01-2013, 06:33 PM   #21
New Mommy

Sherry - our school district starts back tomorrow! Now that's early!

Joanne - I agree with offering your SIL congratulations and leave it at that. If she does offer you some help, just be open to the idea. Have a wonderful time at the beach and don't let her or stress ruin it.

Linda - what a story about James!

Joan - thanks for the cute card today! What a fun surprise!
Old 08-01-2013, 06:49 PM   #22
New Mommy

Farmer's market was fun - I got some different things this time. Carrots and golden beets - Preston loves regular beets so I'm sure he'll like these. I also got pickling cucumbers, jalapenos, cantaloupe, bell peppers, peachcots, and pears.

We went to Brandon's school and everyone loved the brownies - they were good! We went to a new Japanese restaurant (Tokyo Joes - I think it's local) and got take out. I got the lettuce wraps which were delish! A little different than traditional ones.

Used the free redbox code and got a movie for tonight. After Brandon finishes his work, we're going to sit down and watch it.
Old 08-01-2013, 07:31 PM   #23
Stazon Splitcoast

My DD baked cookies,we shopped for many goodies.. she is off to the Chicago Lalapalozza with older DD and BF....

I am sorry, but I worry. They are all so innocent.. not sure they even know to be aware every moment while they are there?

Trying to back off, really trying.... We sent homemade cookies, lots of treats, fruit, sausage and cheese (Wisconsin, made).... wine, beer... chips and salsa, cheese dip... all made locally..multiple treats, Amish ... carmel corn, bars, choc treats.. I suspect I will still find a critic.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:46 PM   #24
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Can't sleep. Can barely keep my eyes open, but I can't fall asleep. And I'm not making lists in my head or stressing. This is such a hard thing to describe.

For the last two or three years, there has been a Farmer's Market at the beach. It is Sunday mornings which is nice as the vacationers can take advantage of it - I'm sure that was the plan. My cousin went the first year and got a few things. We're hoping to go (if we REMEMBER) before beaching that day. I am taking enough food for two days - dinners mostly.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:17 AM   #25
Stazon Splitcoast

Couldn't sleep last night. Going to be a long day.
hedgiemama likes this post.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:38 AM   #26
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Same here, Jen. I was awake until 5. If I could have gone grocery shopping, grilled, packed, I'd be in good shape. But, of course, I couldn't and didn't do any of those things.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:00 AM   #27
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyj
Liz- Hope you are having some fun this summer. How is that handsome son doing?
Yes, we are! In spite of all the work we're doing. And we leave for Outer Banks on 8/10. Really looking forward to that. There will be 11-13 of us in a 6 bedroom house. Of course 4 of them are age 6 and under We are going with our 'grand-neighbors' It should be wonderful. Alison is bringing a friend and if Michael can make it, he may bring one as well.

He's doing well Thank you for asking. He's been teaching swimming/camp counselor this summer. School will start soon and it's hard to believe it's his senior year. He also has his internship lined up for the fall.

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless ~ Mother Teresa
jor likes this post.
Old 08-02-2013, 11:04 AM   #28
Stazon Splitcoast

Joanne - listen to Jen and Linda. They are most wise. I've used WW before and it's a great program but not for everyone.

And it really doesn't matter how much your SIL loses. Each journey for each person is different. What matters is that YOU have lost pounds!

My friend has been doing sparkpeople.com since Jan along with exercise videos. She likes it since she doing have to 'go' to meetings. Says the online groups are most supportive.

Love you, Joanne!

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless ~ Mother Teresa
Old 08-02-2013, 11:12 AM   #29
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
Nights like that are the pits, so sorry. Hope you sleep like a baby tonight.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:40 PM   #30
Swapper of the Month January 2013

Send a message via MSN to nikki1578 Send a message via Yahoo to nikki1578

off early today our Field Day at work went great for the kids HOT for us teachers hahaha. but they had a great time and that is all that matters.

Hope you all have a great Friday and a great weekend. Tomorrow going to get my nails and feet done with a friend from work and then we will eat lunch and go shopping it is our Sales Tax Free weekend here. So lets see what kind of goodies we can find.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #31
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Liz - love you, too!!! Your vacation plans are the week after we get back. We had fun the years the girls were little, but I admit it is nice now, too. I'm sure you will have a great time. I can't wait to get to Bethany Beach tomorrow. Bill keeps reminding me it is TOMORROW.

Today was truly a comedy of errors - nothing went right - three trips to the grocery store, ran out of propane while grilling chicken - you get the idea! I'm taking a break and then heading to clean up the HUGE mess we made in the kitchen. We made pulled chicken, taco meat, Asian chicken salad and two marinated chicken items that we froze. So, every pot and pan!
Old 08-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #32
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

Quote:
Oh boy Jen, I hear you. I had two bad sleeping nights in a row. Excited about DD being here, doing so much during the day, could not wind down. I will sleep tonight! Hope you do too!
Old 08-02-2013, 03:22 PM   #33
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

I had eggplant parm one time at a restaurant. It was really good. Is that fairly easy to put together. Does the baking with bread crumbs taste something like Zucchini done that way?
Old 08-02-2013, 03:24 PM   #34
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor View Post
Liz - love you, too!!! Your vacation plans are the week after we get back. We had fun the years the girls were little, but I admit it is nice now, too. I'm sure you will have a great time. I can't wait to get to Bethany Beach tomorrow. Bill keeps reminding me it is TOMORROW.

Today was truly a comedy of errors - nothing went right - three trips to the grocery store, ran out of propane while grilling chicken - you get the idea! I'm taking a break and then heading to clean up the HUGE mess we made in the kitchen. We made pulled chicken, taco meat, Asian chicken salad and two marinated chicken items that we froze. So, every pot and pan!
Jo, you are goin to have all of that made, when you go to the beach. You will eat better and save a ton of money on dinners out. I want the recipes for everything you made...all sound wonderful!!
I so hope you have a great time. I think the before time of a vacay is very hectic no matter what. But, hang in there, it will be worth it!!
Old 08-02-2013, 03:44 PM   #35
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

So glad they found the source of the lettuce illness! Apparently in restaurant sources, not the little bags of salad we get at the store.

I really worried that now no one would eat lettuce. I know when I was at the store, I walked by and my stomach rolled...

Here we are to eat more fruits and veggies and now we should buy this or that, don't buy this or that. It ends up be super confusing. I think what my Mom always did is best...she soaked them in cool water... for maybe 15 mins... dried them all good with paper towel.

There is a veggie wash out there... probably a good thing to do also.

Any ideas?
Old 08-02-2013, 04:59 PM   #36
Stazon Splitcoast

Heart

Sounds like Middle East attacks or imminent. Happy the US is taking action and hope they are wrong.

I went thru all of my stamp stuff yesterday... I have a box for a friend with a crafty grand-daughter... and much for someone who would like to buy the rest of the stash for $150. I just don't have time to list things individually on e-bay...

I have two interested. What I have is probably worth three-fold. But I want it out.

I am keeping a winter set, an Easter set, a birthday set, a Fall set, etc...
Also keeping cuttlbug and bigshot and embossing folders. Getting rid of many quick cut dies... and larger dies.

I am selling most of the stamp pads, with their reinkers... only because I rarely use. Keeping my pencils, gamasol... and blenders, markers, etc...
I like to stamp in black and color, love to emboss. I have many colors that I am keeping.

I know this seems harsh... but I have too much and really want another person to use and enjoy.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:38 PM   #37
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

Meeting a "match" friend for lunch on Sunday, wish me luck..!!
redapron, jenguin, nikki1578 and 1 others like this post.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:59 PM   #38
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgiemama View Post
Sounds like Middle East attacks or imminent. Happy the US is taking action and hope they are wrong.

I went thru all of my stamp stuff yesterday... I have a box for a friend with a crafty grand-daughter... and much for someone who would like to buy the rest of the stash for $150. I just don't have time to list things individually on e-bay...

I have two interested. What I have is probably worth three-fold. But I want it out.

I am keeping a winter set, an Easter set, a birthday set, a Fall set, etc...
Also keeping cuttlbug and bigshot and embossing folders. Getting rid of many quick cut dies... and larger dies.

I am selling most of the stamp pads, with their reinkers... only because I rarely use. Keeping my pencils, gamasol... and blenders, markers, etc...
I like to stamp in black and color, love to emboss. I have many colors that I am keeping.

I know this seems harsh... but I have too much and really want another person to use and enjoy.
Sometimes you need to purge! At least you figured out what you like! Good for you!
Old 08-02-2013, 06:53 PM   #39
Mad Swapper

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgiemama View Post
Meeting a "match" friend for lunch on Sunday, wish me luck..!!
Good Luck, Karen!!! Just have a nice lunch and talk. Don't put too much pressure on yourself or him. I am so happy for you!!!

~~~LINDA~~~

hedgiemama and smileyj like this post.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:04 PM   #40
Mad Swapper

Smile

My Stampin Up Demonstrator had a SU Rummage Sale a couple weeks ago. She rented a room at a local hotel, and sold all her excess stamps, paper, ribbon, etc. She had A LOT of stuff, and priced it cheap!!! Then she also let us bring our stuff to sell with hers. It could be any brand, not just SU. Anything we sold went into credit to purchase new SU from her.
I really wanted to go, but it didn't work out. I DO have a lot of stamps that I know I will never use. I also have a bad memory, and purchase duplicates! So, I need to take a day sometime soon, clean out some room so I have extra room for new stuff! lol

~~~LINDA~~~