Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Unread 11-12-2012, 06:57 AM   #1
New Mommy

Send a message via MSN to jkincolorado
Default ***Misfit Monday (11-12-12)***

Happy Veterans Day!

We went to the parade on Saturday. It was so gray and windy and raining when we left our house. Once we got downtown, the clouds were gone and there was bright blue skies and no wind. After the parade was over, super dark clouds rolled in and it started snowing. So thankful it was nice for the parade!!

We'll probably go out to eat tonight at one of the restaurants that are giving free meals. Such a nice offer and Brandon deserves to be recognized!

Laundry, cleaning, gym - typical Monday.
Unread 11-12-2012, 07:13 AM   #2
Mad Swapper

Smile

Good Monday Morning Misfits!
It is SUNNY and 32 degrees here this morning!!!
I didn't get much sleep last night, so I guess a nap is planned for this afternoon. I plan on working upstairs again. It is going very slow!!! Slow and Easy! I really don't have much planned this week, just housework, blah, blah, blah!!!

Have a GREAT Monday!!!

~~~LINDA~~~

We had to get rid of the kids~~~

~~~The cats were allergic!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Unread 11-12-2012, 08:07 AM   #3
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Morning friends!

Sunny and supposed to be in the 60s today. When I woke up early to let the dog out, it was quite foggy.

My kitchen is a disaster. I have to clean it up and then do some baking. I have some very, very ripe bananas that I want to use and I want to make some treats for the college kids. Want to get that mailed tomorrow so they get them before they head home for Thanksgiving.
Unread 11-12-2012, 09:09 AM   #4
New Mommy

Good morning Linda and Joanne!

Our office accumulates all of our paperwork/piles. I think I'm going to gather it all into one BIG pile and then go through it. I'm ready to get rid of stuff!

Joanne - what college kids do you bake for?
Unread 11-12-2012, 09:35 AM   #5
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Hello Misfits!

We had a wonderful time celebrating Veterans Day and Alexander's 14th birthday yesterday. He looked so wonderful in his uniform as he walked along in the parade as part of the color guard for his school. Extremely proud of Alexander who brought a lot of tears to this grandmother.

We were going near the town square where they were playing the National Anthem and he went running to stand and salute. Wish I could have had that on film. <3
Attached Thumbnails
100_0933.jpg   100_0934.jpg  
Unread 11-12-2012, 10:05 AM   #6
Swapper of the Month January 2013

Send a message via MSN to nikki1578 Send a message via Yahoo to nikki1578

hello what a dreary monday raining day here home on break just checking in.

hope you all have a great rest of the day today.
Unread 11-12-2012, 12:00 PM   #7
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Caterina - I love those pictures. I hope you frame them and display them where everyone can see!!!

I have a few kids that I try to connect with. Our church does a Church Mouse program. You choose a college kid you will write letters, mail cute articles, goodies to throughout the year. I chose a young man who I knew before his birth. Our families were very close as the children were growing up (I've mentioned this family before). We did everything together. Unfortunately, we grew apart. The kids were best friends for years, but things change. However, young Gene volunteered to help with Sunday school in the spring. He continued through the summer. He is a good, sweet kid. So I specifically asked for him through church.

I also send to my cousin's daughter who is in her junior year. Also, my best friend's daughter (same age as Julie) and her oldest daughter who just started vet school. I've been sending something every month.
Unread 11-12-2012, 12:03 PM   #8
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor View Post
Caterina - I love those pictures. I hope you frame them and display them where everyone can see!!!

I have a few kids that I try to connect with. Our church does a Church Mouse program. You choose a college kid you will write letters, mail cute articles, goodies to throughout the year. I chose a young man who I knew before his birth. Our families were very close as the children were growing up (I've mentioned this family before). We did everything together. Unfortunately, we grew apart. The kids were best friends for years, but things change. However, young Gene volunteered to help with Sunday school in the spring. He continued through the summer. He is a good, sweet kid. So I specifically asked for him through church.

I also send to my cousin's daughter who is in her junior year. Also, my best friend's daughter (same age as Julie) and her oldest daughter who just started vet school. I've been sending something every month.

Joanne, how very sweet of you to do this. Young people today need much encouragement and good mentors.
Unread 11-12-2012, 03:45 PM   #9
Forum Fanatic

Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by caterinafmig View Post
Hello Misfits!

We had a wonderful time celebrating Veterans Day and Alexander's 14th birthday yesterday. He looked so wonderful in his uniform as he walked along in the parade as part of the color guard for his school. Extremely proud of Alexander who brought a lot of tears to this grandmother.

We were going near the town square where they were playing the National Anthem and he went running to stand and salute. Wish I could have had that on film. <3
How proud you must be and what great weather... we have has some snow today, which explains why I felt ill yesterday... the temps fell immensely... Not good for my body. We go back and forth between summer and winter clothes... only in Wisconsin!
Unread 11-12-2012, 04:53 PM   #10
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Hedgie - we have had the ups and downs for weather, too. It was COLD last week and close to 70 this week! Overnight the temps are supposed to drop and we'll get some rain. The temps will only be in the 50s for the rest of the week. Those are still okay temps.

I packed up all the stuff I have to send out tomorrow. I also managed to finish up some things that I had started last week. I had bought mini gable boxes from SU years ago. I put them all together and will use them to put little Christmas gifts in this year.
Unread 11-12-2012, 07:22 PM   #11
Stazon Splitcoast

just checkin in. Have a great a week!
Unread 11-13-2012, 04:18 AM   #12
Mad Swapper

Smile

I don't know what's with me not sleeping, but it's not fun!!! Part of it is Bob is sleeping in the middle of the bed, second is my little kitty wants to show me how much she loves me by licking my face and hair, and laying on me. Something has to give!!! It makes me not want to do much during the day!!! I think Mr. Bob and I are gonna have to have a talk today so he can learn which side of the bed he's supposed to sleep on!!! Y-A-W-N ! ! !

~~~LINDA~~~

Unread 11-13-2012, 06:01 AM   #13
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Linda - we could have kept each other company. I was awake for a looong time last night, too. I'm up and moving now, but my eyes are red and tired! Off to my doctor appointment. Let's see if she can give me some guidance or direction. I'm sure it will involve more tests. I still think it is related to my "monthly" (because it isn't anymore) cycle.

It's raining, too. Good thing I remembered to shut the bedroom windows!
Unread 11-13-2012, 06:05 AM   #14
Stazon Splitcoast

I didn't sleep well either. My anxiety has been very bad lately. If you'd be so kind to add me to your prayers, I'd appreciate it! I do have a call in to my doctor.
Unread 11-13-2012, 06:13 AM   #15
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindalaskowski View Post
I don't know what's with me not sleeping, but it's not fun!!! Part of it is Bob is sleeping in the middle of the bed, second is my little kitty wants to show me how much she loves me by licking my face and hair, and laying on me. Something has to give!!! It makes me not want to do much during the day!!! I think Mr. Bob and I are gonna have to have a talk today so he can learn which side of the bed he's supposed to sleep on!!! Y-A-W-N ! ! !

Sounds like a rough night, Linda. Hope you get the rest you need.
Unread 11-13-2012, 06:14 AM   #16
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Chuckle for today.

Encyclopaedia Britannica

Seen in my local paper's "readers sales" section.

FOR SALE BY OWNER

Complete set of Encyclopaedia Britannica. 45 Volumes.
Excellent condition. $500 or best offer.

Reason for sale: No longer required. Son turned fourteen
last week. Now knows everything.
Unread 11-13-2012, 06:50 AM   #17
New Mommy

We're not sleeping good here either! Preston has been waking up in the middle of the night screaming....sometimes twice a night. This has been going on for about a week. We're not sure if it's his teeth, growing pains or nightmares?
Unread 11-13-2012, 06:59 AM   #18
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkincolorado View Post
We're not sleeping good here either! Preston has been waking up in the middle of the night screaming....sometimes twice a night. This has been going on for about a week. We're not sure if it's his teeth, growing pains or nightmares?

Oh poor baby
Unread 11-13-2012, 07:13 AM   #19
Mad Swapper

Smile

Well, At least I got the living room cleaned and the dishwasher unloaded. I usually don't get warmed up this early! I wish I was disciplined enough to just do one room a day, thoroughly,.....My house would never get messy, or cluttered, things would always be in their places, and I wouldn't be tempted to purchase things that I don't need. There really isn't anything I NEED in my life, only THINGS that I WANT ! ! ! Today, I just got 4 bottles of nail polishes from UPS. Do you know how many bottles of nail polish I have, and don't need???
It will not only be my New Year's Resolution, but I also turn (60 yikes) shortly after the 1st of the year, and I am going to get rid of things that I don't need, but also stop buying!!!

My Mother had emphysema. When she was diagnosed at first, she smoked 2 and a half or more packs of cigarettes every day, and had for 30+years. The Dr told her if she didn't quit smoking right then, she would die within 1 year. If she quit smoking, he gave her up to 8 years. Mom beat the 8 years, but most of those 8 years weren't really living. However, she gave the 6 of her children many gifts through those years. One was that she left her house with the bare necessities. She didn't have many THINGS, AND WHAT SHE DID HAVE, she had given away before she died. Other things, we found notes around the house to who she wanted things to go to. I can't say there was no arguing about things. But it wasn't Mom's fault.

Bob and I have wills. However, I want to rewrite mine. I want to make sure that my children and grandchildren get things that were part of their and my family and life for years. It is in my will, but they aren't specifically listed.
Oh my, sorry for writing a book!!!

~~~LINDA~~~

Unread 11-13-2012, 07:31 AM   #20
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenguin View Post
I didn't sleep well either. My anxiety has been very bad lately. If you'd be so kind to add me to your prayers, I'd appreciate it! I do have a call in to my doctor.

Jen, so sorry you are going through a bad spell lately. Have been thinking of you for the past week and wondered how you were doing. Being a single mom is the hardest job in the world and you are doing a great job being a wonderful mom to your two sweet handsome boys. Sending baskets of love, hugs, encouragement and prayers. <3
Unread 11-13-2012, 07:34 AM   #21
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
Well, At least I got the living room cleaned and the dishwasher unloaded. I usually don't get warmed up this early! I wish I was disciplined enough to just do one room a day, thoroughly,.....My house would never get messy, or cluttered, things would always be in their places, and I wouldn't be tempted to purchase things that I don't need. There really isn't anything I NEED in my life, only THINGS that I WANT ! ! ! Today, I just got 4 bottles of nail polishes from UPS. Do you know how many bottles of nail polish I have, and don't need???
It will not only be my New Year's Resolution, but I also turn (60 yikes) shortly after the 1st of the year, and I am going to get rid of things that I don't need, but also stop buying!!!

My Mother had emphysema. When she was diagnosed at first, she smoked 2 and a half or more packs of cigarettes every day, and had for 30+years. The Dr told her if she didn't quit smoking right then, she would die within 1 year. If she quit smoking, he gave her up to 8 years. Mom beat the 8 years, but most of those 8 years weren't really living. However, she gave the 6 of her children many gifts through those years. One was that she left her house with the bare necessities. She didn't have many THINGS, AND WHAT SHE DID HAVE, she had given away before she died. Other things, we found notes around the house to who she wanted things to go to. I can't say there was no arguing about things. But it wasn't Mom's fault.

Bob and I have wills. However, I want to rewrite mine. I want to make sure that my children and grandchildren get things that were part of their and my family and life for years. It is in my will, but they aren't specifically listed.
Oh my, sorry for writing a book!!!

Linda, no need for apologies here... btw,if you are thinking of rewriting a will, would recommend that you look into a living trust instead to avoid the 'death taxes' that will kick back in starting 2013. It is a safer means and does not have to go through probate, etc. which also will save you heirs money. Reynold and I did one on legal zoom especially to protect our home.
Unread 11-13-2012, 08:12 AM   #22
Die Cut Diva

Cat - I will have to check into your advice that you gave Linda, sounds very interesting. and anything I can do to save my kids money will be great!

I'm only working today and tomorrow, then off to Vegas for 4 days! I'm very excited to be out of town for a bit!

Cat - I have a box for you, I hope to get it in the mail before I leave town.

I'm still working on items for the craft fair I'm in. I might take a few pics and get y'alls opinion. I have a small area and want it to be full but not too crazy and not too empty either! I think I'm stressing too much over this and need to just be more laid back!

I hope everyone has a great day!

Sherry
Unread 11-13-2012, 08:14 AM   #23
Die Cut Diva

Default Secret Santa Business :)

I'm thinking about Secret Santa.......

Would y'all like to open on Christmas Morning? I think that is good, but if someone is too busy on Christmas Morning let me know.

If we are leaning towards Christmas morning, I think we need to get our gifts in the mail no later than 12/12.........that should give USPS plenty of time to deliver our goodies.

Is everyone doing ok on their gift? do you need some help??

Sherry
Unread 11-13-2012, 08:19 AM   #24
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Jen - so sorry for your anxiety. I can empathize. There are times it gets tough. Do you think it is the holidays? Hugs and prayers being sent your way.

Jennifer - Poor Preston. My kids often had trouble going to sleep, but rarely woke in the night. Unless they were sick. There are things I know NOW that I wish I'd known THEN about getting the babies to sleep better. But, of course, hindsight is 20/20

Saw the doctor. She, too, believes it is muscular in nature, but I'm going to have an x-ray to be sure. I've never had a fall, accident or anything and all the symptoms point to muscular. The next step is trying to schedule physical therapy. Julie's school schedule is the only issue there.

Sherry - I'm up for whatever everyone else wants to do. We're home for Christmas so it won't matter to me.
Unread 11-13-2012, 08:22 AM   #25
Mad Swapper

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by caterinafmig View Post
Linda, no need for apologies here... btw,if you are thinking of rewriting a will, would recommend that you look into a living trust instead to avoid the 'death taxes' that will kick back in starting 2013. It is a safer means and does not have to go through probate, etc. which also will save you heirs money. Reynold and I did one on legal zoom especially to protect our home.
Thanks for the information Cat. So, with a Living Trust, you don't need a will??? I thought you needed both. Could you please explain to me what the difference is.

~~~LINDA~~~

Unread 11-13-2012, 09:25 AM   #26
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappincanyon View Post

Would y'all like to open on Christmas Morning? I think that is good, but if someone is too busy on Christmas Morning let me know.

If we are leaning towards Christmas morning, I think we need to get our gifts in the mail no later than 12/12.........that should give USPS plenty of time to deliver our goodies.

Sherry

Since keeping to my Sicilian tradition, Christmas eve is the time we celebrate so Reynold and I do very little Christmas morning thus it would be fine with me.
Unread 11-13-2012, 09:28 AM   #27
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
Thanks for the information Cat. So, with a Living Trust, you don't need a will??? I thought you needed both. Could you please explain to me what the difference is.

The big difference is that with a living trust, your heirs do not have to go through probate court which can take more time as well as cost money. If you go on Legal Zoom, you can get some info on the site.
Unread 11-13-2012, 10:05 AM   #28
New Mommy

I'd rather NOT open our gifts on Christmas morning. That's our family time. How about the weekend before?
Unread 11-13-2012, 04:00 PM   #29
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

I spent some time in my craft room this afternoon. I had some Christmas paper that I had bought (Dashing by SU) several years ago. I had used all the papers that I liked and was even going through some that I didn't like. However, I had at least six full sheets to do something with. I made three bags in a box. I'm going to wrap some Hershey's Nuggets with the leftover pieces. I just ordered the 2x8 cello bags so I can fill them and send them to the college kids next month. I got a lot of the candies so I can make several and use them as other little extras for gifts, too. Then I found some Christmas cards that I case'd. One I really like! I think I've used up most of the paper and with the nugget boxes/cello I can finish that off.

And I still didn't bake today! The bananas are going to be especially ripe. Tomorrow, I will do it tomorrow.
Unread 11-13-2012, 04:14 PM   #30
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Of course being "old retired people" had to share this one

A Retiree's Last Trip to Food Lion

Yesterday I was at my local Food Lion grocery store buying a large bag of Purina dog chow for my loyal pet, Jake, the Wonder Dog and was in the check-out line when a woman behind me asked if I had a dog.

What did she think I had an elephant?

So because I'm retired and have little to do, on impulse I told her that “No, I didn't have a dog, I was starting the Purina Diet again.” I added that I probably shouldn't have, because I ended up in the hospital last time I did that, but I had lost 50 pounds before I awakened in an intensive care ward with tubes coming out of most of my orifices and with IVs in both arms.

I told her that it was essentially a Perfect Diet and that the way that it works is, to load your pants pockets with Purina Nuggets and simply eat one or two every time you feel hungry. The food is nutritionally complete so it works well and I was going to try it again. (I have to mention here that practically everyone in line was now enthralled with my story.)

Horrified, she asked if I ended up in intensive care because the dog food poisoned me. I told her “No, I stopped to pee on a fire hydrant and a car hit me.”

I thought the guy behind her was going to have a heart attack he was laughing so hard.

Food Lion won't let me shop there anymore.

Better watch what you ask retired people. They have all the time in the world to think of crazy things to say. Forward this (especially) to all your retired friends...it will be their laugh for the day!
Unread 11-13-2012, 04:17 PM   #31
Swapper of the Month January 2013

Send a message via MSN to nikki1578 Send a message via Yahoo to nikki1578

I will not be at home on christmas morning, i will be still in GA with family. I can do that night when I get home but just whatever works best for everyone.
Unread 11-13-2012, 04:42 PM   #32
Forum Fanatic

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappincanyon View Post

Sherry
Sherry and all, I will be celebrating Christimas with the girls the Sat and Sun before Christmas. I will be here all day Christmas Eve and Christmas morning. I work a pm shift on Christmas 1:30 - 12 midnight. So that morning is fine with me. A little pick me up after our family celebration might be good.
Unread 11-13-2012, 05:49 PM   #33
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

How does Christmas late afternoon or evening or even the day after Christmas work for us?

My siblings will be having our annual Christmas gathering however not sure of the date yet -- either the weekend before or after Christmas usually late afternoon.
Unread 11-13-2012, 08:20 PM   #34
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

I'll do whatever everyone agrees to.

I'm sleepy and hoping to just drift off when I head in to bed. Of course, by the time I do everything I need to do before I get in bed, I'll probably get my second wind!
Unread 11-14-2012, 05:36 AM   #35
Glitter Guru

Good Morning, Paul got the JOB! He starts on Dec 3rd. We're super excited, Paul can't wait to start, being at home all day isn't for him.

Sorry so many of you are not sleeping ,I know that feeling well. Paul commented that with him going back to work maybe I can start sleeping again. I'm hoping so.

hope you all have a great day
Unread 11-14-2012, 05:59 AM   #36
Forum Fanatic

Wink

The day after Christmas is good too....I am ok what ever works...if I am not home, will open when I am!
Unread 11-14-2012, 06:38 AM   #37
Mad Swapper

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat View Post
Good Morning, Paul got the JOB! He starts on Dec 3rd. We're super excited, Paul can't wait to start, being at home all day isn't for him.

Sorry so many of you are not sleeping ,I know that feeling well. Paul commented that with him going back to work maybe I can start sleeping again. I'm hoping so.

Heather, what GREAT news!!! I think most of us were pretty sure he pretty sure he had it wrapped up! Right before Christmas is a great time too!!!

I slept very good last night, in fact I didn't want to get up!!!

~~~LINDA~~~

Unread 11-14-2012, 07:16 AM   #38
New Mommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat View Post

Congrats to Paul!!!!!!!
Unread 11-14-2012, 07:17 AM   #39
New Mommy

I have some really, really, really good news to share soon.

(not pg )
Unread 11-14-2012, 07:25 AM   #40
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Good morning, Magda will be coming to drop off Conrad. Both boys are really into Club Penguin so we will be playing it online I am sure. It is a fun thing for young children.