Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2011, 09:55 AM   #41
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Okay we need to get to page 2... come on out Misfits wherever you are.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-26-2011, 10:57 AM   #42
New Mommy

Send a message via MSN to jkincolorado

Still snowing.

Maybe we'll get a chance to use the new sled I got from Freecycle!

A year ago today I was laying in a hospital bed waiting to meet our baby. Such wonderful memories and SO worth everything!!

Back to cleaning....
Old 10-26-2011, 10:57 AM   #43
Stazon Splitcoast

Just home from work. Today really dragged!!!
Old 10-26-2011, 11:36 AM   #44
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkincolorado View Post
Still snowing.

A year ago today I was laying in a hospital bed waiting to meet our baby. Such wonderful memories and SO worth everything!!

Back to cleaning....

Enjoy that sled from freecycle... hard to believe a year has arrived already.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:34 PM   #45
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by caterinafmig View Post
Is this a newly written book about her personal experience and those who lived in Minnesota? Bet there are some personal heartfelt stories.
The book is the Vietnam experiences of 15 MN nurses. (One of the nurses is form WI) Yes, their stories are very compelling. They speak about how they went to Vietnam, what they did there, and when they came home.

Be who you are and say what you mean.
Because those who mind donít matter those who matter donít mind.
Dr. Seuss!

Joan
Old 10-26-2011, 12:35 PM   #46
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenguin View Post
Just home from work. Today really dragged!!!
Sorry Jen- hope you can get some rest today. be sure to eat a healthy dinner.

Dr. Seuss!

Joan
Old 10-26-2011, 12:36 PM   #47
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Still snowing.

Back to cleaning....
Do you think the snow will stay? Time passes quickly when you are having fun!

Dr. Seuss!

Joan
Old 10-26-2011, 12:58 PM   #48
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyj View Post
The book is the Vietnam experiences of 15 MN nurses. (One of the nurses is form WI) Yes, their stories are very compelling. They speak about how they went to Vietnam, what they did there, and when they came home.

God bless them Joan and all that they did for our troops.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:58 PM   #49
Mad Swapper

Just woke up from a bad dream. Dreams of my Grandma and then my Mom dying. Not being allowed to have any of their belongings. Woke up very sad. I have 2 older brothers, two younger brothers and 1 younger sister. In my family, favorites were very obvious, and I wasn't one of them. I guess 1 reason was because I was a "middle child", and the "oldest girl", very shy, and quiet. My brother, Bruce, that was 14 months older than me was Mom's favorite for years. Then, when Cathy was born, 8 years after me, she was sick a lot, so was a favorite, then Paul is 14 years younger than me, and was the baby, and the favorite.

Before Mom died, she gave some of her things away. Some of the things that she had given to me earlier, Cathy wanted, and so Mom gave to her instead of me. Paul didn't want some of the things that Mom had willed to him, so he gave them to Cathy. Cathy TOOK all the family pictures that were supposed to be divided. The boys had decided that they don't want any. Cathy makes me sound like I am being selfish for wanting any. She has made one excuse on top of another to keep from dividing them with me.

I am really feeling sad today. I just feel like it is just easier to walk away from all my siblings, and pretend like they never existed. Most of my childhood was very painful, and my adult life with them has been full of hurt feelings and memories.

Back at the Family Reunion in July, there was 2 big picture albums that my sister brought from our childhood. I couldn't even look at them!!! One of them should belong to ME ! ! !

OK,...Thanks for letting me vent!!! You don't need to comment. I don't want any pity!!!

~~~LINDA~~~

We had to get rid of the kids~~~

~~~The cats were allergic!!!
Old 10-26-2011, 12:59 PM   #50
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
Sorry Jen- hope you can get some rest today. be sure to eat a healthy dinner.

Double dittos
Old 10-26-2011, 01:10 PM   #51
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindalaskowski View Post
Just woke up from a bad dream. Dreams of my Grandma and then my Mom dying. Not being allowed to have any of their belongings. Woke up very sad. I have 2 older brothers, two younger brothers and 1 younger sister. In my family, favorites were very obvious, and I wasn't one of them. I guess 1 reason was because I was a "middle child", and the "oldest girl", very shy, and quiet. My brother, Bruce, that was 14 months older than me was Mom's favorite for years. Then, when Cathy was born, 8 years after me, she was sick a lot, so was a favorite, then Paul is 14 years younger than me, and was the baby, and the favorite.

Before Mom died, she gave some of her things away. Some of the things that she had given to me earlier, Cathy wanted, and so Mom gave to her instead of me. Paul didn't want some of the things that Mom had willed to him, so he gave them to Cathy. Cathy TOOK all the family pictures that were supposed to be divided. The boys had decided that they don't want any. Cathy makes me sound like I am being selfish for wanting any. She has made one excuse on top of another to keep from dividing them with me.

I am really feeling sad today. I just feel like it is just easier to walk away from all my siblings, and pretend like they never existed. Most of my childhood was very painful, and my adult life with them has been full of hurt feelings and memories.

Back at the Family Reunion in July, there was 2 big picture albums that my sister brought from our childhood. I couldn't even look at them!!! One of them should belong to ME ! ! !

OK,...Thanks for letting me vent!!! You don't need to comment. I don't want any pity!!!

Linda, hope it is okay for me to do a little comment and not give you any pity. Have experienced those very same things within my own family. Mom left tons of things to her favorites. It can be extremely painful. It was somewhat ironic that I was the one left to take care of mom. At first it was rough but gratefully as I took care of my mom during the last 3 1/2 years of her life, God did enable me to let go of a lot of the ugly stuff and when she passed in July 2005, have felt total peace. It was a long process but happy to be in the place that I am in now. Hope you don't mind my sharing.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:12 PM   #52
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

QOTD - What do you do for Halloween, costumes, decorations, etc.?
Old 10-26-2011, 01:13 PM   #53
Mad Swapper

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenguin View Post
Jennifer - I wonder if you will get pregnant more easily this time! I know friends that that has happened to! After the first one, their body learned how to be pregnant!
Jennifer, I didn't join the other Misfits until Preston was several months old, so I'm not aware of your struggles to get pregnant. However, my Daughter had a hard time STAYING pregnant. She had 4 miscarriages before she was successful in keeping Alexys. In fact, that is what brought her back home. She had lived about 4 hours south from me, and needed to be closer to her Mommy (me)!!! Actually, shortly after moving home is when she got pregnant with Lexy. Those miscarriages were VERY hard on her!!! I guess what I was going to say is, that after carrying Lexy, she has never had any trouble with any of the other 3 babies!!!

~~~LINDA~~~

Old 10-26-2011, 01:19 PM   #54
Mad Swapper

Jennifer, I'm sure Preston will LOVE the snow this year!!! Have fun with him, but keep it in Colorado!!!
We usually don't get much of any here until mid to late December!!! December 24th is early enough for me. Or, plan it around when I can stay home-bound!!!

~~~LINDA~~~

Old 10-26-2011, 01:24 PM   #55
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgiemama View Post
Thanks, my tummy isn't feeling so hot...it's been jumping around in my belly all day....I hope it calms down.
Hedgie~~ Hope you are feeling better today!!!

I've had 2 days now that I've felt better!!! I guess I am finally getting used to the Migraine medication!!! It's been 3 LONG weeks,....it's about time!!!

~~~LINDA~~~

Old 10-26-2011, 01:25 PM   #56
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Afternoon all!

Linda - families can be so difficult. Bill's grandmother had given a bunch of things to Bill's oldest sister - pictures and a few things that she knew she wanted Sue to have. Bill's father (the grandmother's son) made the daughter give everything back. He said, Gram isn't dead yet she shouldn't be giving her things away. I thought that was wrong. She WANTED Sue to have those things. Bill's father was a very difficult man.

I made some cards this afternoon. I don't own copics, although Marie has something very similar. I tried them once, but just didn't get it. I cuoldn't really blend correctly, etc. Anyway, today I tried watercoloring using watercolor paper. What a HUGE difference. I was never able to shade things very well. Using the watercolor paper was so much easier. It isn't perfect, but so much better than what I've done before. I think I may do that more often!

We're having spaghetti and meatballs for dinner. I didn't think I was hungry - smelling it now, I think differently! Also, Julie and I bought way too much yogurt. We're going to have to eat a lot of it the next week. I didn't know I still had some at home so I went overboard at the store. Good thing it is good for me and I like it!
Old 10-26-2011, 01:28 PM   #57
Stazon Splitcoast

Linda- I am so sorry to hear about the family issues. Remember people try and push their bad points onto someone else. I will be praying for you!

QOTD: I put a few decorations outside. I usually dress up for work. I don't feel like it this year. Of course, things were different when the boys were little.

Dr. Seuss!

Joan
Old 10-26-2011, 01:33 PM   #58
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Linda, hope it is okay for me to do a little comment and not give you any pity. Have experienced those very same things within my own family. Mom left tons of things to her favorites. It can be extremely painful. It was somewhat ironic that I was the one left to take care of mom. At first it was rough but gratefully as I took care of my mom during the last 3 1/2 years of her life, God did enable me to let go of a lot of the ugly stuff and when she passed in July 2005, have felt total peace. It was a long process but happy to be in the place that I am in now. Hope you don't mind my sharing.
Cat, Unfortunately sounds like we have a lot in common!!! It still really hurts me! Do you have a lot of siblings? Do you still have good relationships with them? I have one brother that is best friends with my Ex-husband. My Ex did horrendous things!!! I just don't think I can ever forgive and forget some things.Even IF I could, my nightmares haunt me!!!

~~~LINDA~~~

Old 10-26-2011, 02:27 PM   #59
Mad Swapper

Quote:
When my kids were little, I sewed their costumes, and decorated inside the house. The kids made a lot of crafts at school and at home.

I used to sew costumes for the Grandkids when there were 4 or 5 of them. Then, I started working full time, my health went down hill, and there were too many Grandkids to make costumes for. So, they are on their own!!!

When I worked, I usually made my costume, and dressed up. I was making a clown costume when I got the phone call that my father was killed in a car accident on Oct. 19th, 23 years ago.

I really don't do much decorating anymore. Just a few candles.

~~~LINDA~~~

Old 10-26-2011, 02:28 PM   #60
New Mommy

Quote:
Do you think the snow will stay? Time passes quickly when you are having fun!
I doubt it will last past tonight. I watched the news and our area of town only got 5 inches. It just stopped snowing. I haven't been outside today, but it can't be that cold. The snow didn't stick to the roads - it just made everything really pretty
Old 10-26-2011, 02:29 PM   #61
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindalaskowski View Post
Cat, Unfortunately sounds like we have a lot in common!!! It still really hurts me! Do you have a lot of siblings? Do you still have good relationships with them? I have one brother that is best friends with my Ex-husband. My Ex did horrendous things!!! I just don't think I can ever forgive and forget some things.Even IF I could, my nightmares haunt me!!!

Linda, you life and mine are very similar in many ways.... have two younger sisters and two younger brothers. Being the oldest, by the time I was 11, when my youngest brother was born, it was my responsibility to take care of him and the others. Like my mom, my one sister seems to have inherit severe mental/emotional issues and has been estranged from me for over 20 years. Sadly, my other siblings are busy so we do not spend much time with one another very often. We do make a point to get together around Christmas for sure along with kids and grandkids.

As for forgiveness, have learned that forgiveness is not for the offender but it is to free the one who has been hurt, damaged, etc. There is freedom in forgiveness... it is a process that is well worth doing in the end. Again, freedom for you not the other person. Otherwise, the offender still has control over your life. It took me a long time to really 'get that' but it worked.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:55 PM   #62
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

Quote:
I doubt it will last past tonight. I watched the news and our area of town only got 5 inches. It just stopped snowing. I haven't been outside today, but it can't be that cold. The snow didn't stick to the roads - it just made everything really pretty
I have not heard from DD today in Denver?
Old 10-26-2011, 03:00 PM   #63
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
jennifer- I am always misplacing things... my dad used to say it was the ghost in the wall. LOL Snow???
Jen- Snow out east???
Joanne- How are things going?
Sherry- has it cooled down, yet?
I am going with my sister to the MN Historical Society. She is speaking about the book again. I guess I will know her story as well as her. Then on 11-11 at 11AM, she will be on MPR. I have the day off... so I guess I will hear it again. She really needs support to make it through the program. It is hard for her to speak about Vietnam. Even though it has been almost 45 yrs ago.
I will be praying for her. I understand completely. It's been 41 years since my brother was killed and I still have trouble with Taps, etc.

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless ~ Mother Teresa
Old 10-26-2011, 03:02 PM   #64
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

As for forgiveness, have learned that forgiveness is not for the offender but it is to free the one who has been hurt, damaged, etc. There is freedom in forgiveness... it is a process that is well worth doing in the end. Again, freedom for you not the other person. Otherwise, the offender still has control over your life. It took me a long time to really 'get that' but it worked.
AMEN!

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless ~ Mother Teresa
Old 10-26-2011, 03:05 PM   #65
Stazon Splitcoast

I'd like to share a picture from this weekend. Those of you on FB may have seen it but I LOVE this picture of M and me taken at school. He came home for his bday weekend and met us at the competition. Hard to believe he turned 19 on Sunday.
Attached Thumbnails
somerville-competition-005.jpg  

Old 10-26-2011, 03:08 PM   #66
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Cat - I totally agree with your comments about forgiveness. I had a lot of issues with my SIL. I finally realized that she is human and all of us have faults. About the time I started reaching out and forgiving the past (even managed to forget a lot of it), we found out her husband was leaving her. A lot has changed since that time over 8 years ago. We have a much better relationship. Unfortunately, I still have others that I have to "get it" over! My mom's brother and his family. I think I'll learn eventually.
Old 10-26-2011, 03:09 PM   #67
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Liz - that is an AWESOME PICTURE of the two of you. You know, Julie is 18 1/2 - do you think she has a shot with him? LOL
Old 10-26-2011, 04:28 PM   #68
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by redapron View Post
I'd like to share a picture from this weekend. Those of you on FB may have seen it but I LOVE this picture of M and me taken at school. He came home for his bday weekend and met us at the competition. Hard to believe he turned 19 on Sunday.

Liz, you are soooo young looking - great looking guy, too!
Old 10-26-2011, 04:33 PM   #69
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor View Post
Cat - I totally agree with your comments about forgiveness. I had a lot of issues with my SIL. I finally realized that she is human and all of us have faults. About the time I started reaching out and forgiving the past (even managed to forget a lot of it), we found out her husband was leaving her. A lot has changed since that time over 8 years ago. We have a much better relationship. Unfortunately, I still have others that I have to "get it" over! My mom's brother and his family. I think I'll learn eventually.

Joanne, it is always an ongoing process because as you said everyone is human and has faults.... There is a small black stone I have that reads, Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone, Jesus Christ -- helps to be a reminder for me.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:40 PM   #70
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Cat, There are things that you still don't know. Things that are so horrendous that are too hard for me to forgive that easily. I work daily to forget, as much as possible! I haven't been to my counselor in several weeks, since I've been sick, but I have an appointment tomorrow. Hopefully we'll have time to talk about forgiveness. I DO understand what you are saying!!! I just don't know if it's possible in ALL cases.

~~~LINDA~~~

Old 10-26-2011, 04:52 PM   #71
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by redapron View Post
I will be praying for her. I understand completely. It's been 41 years since my brother was killed and I still have trouble with Taps, etc.
Liz, I'm sorry you lost your brother in the war. That must have been a very hard time!!! My brother was in the war in Vietnam. He was in some of the worst fighting areas, and to this day, won't talk about it. He came home a VERY changed man. He was married with a pregnant wife when he left, and came home a very angry man. He became abusive and neglectful to his baby son. He was withdrawn, and turned to alcohol and drugs. He ended up getting divorced.
He is remarried to the same woman now, but still is an alcoholic. He never has talked about his time in Vietnam.

~~~LINDA~~~

Old 10-26-2011, 04:53 PM   #72
Mad Swapper

Smile

Liz,
Great picture!!!
You and your son are very attractive!!!

~~~LINDA~~~

Old 10-26-2011, 04:55 PM   #73
Mad Swapper

Quote:
That's the kind of snow I like!!!

~~~LINDA~~~

Old 10-26-2011, 07:05 PM   #74
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Just checking in before I head to bed.

I forgot to comment on the decorations question. Marie wishes I would go all out and scary, but I do autumn/harvest because I can leave everything up through Thanksgiving. This year, I did a lot less than I normally do. The place I normally buy pumpkins, haybales and cornstalks has changed hands and they didn't have what I was looking for when I went. I have since seen pumpkins, but didn't go back. So for this year I have Indian corn on the mailbox (usually a cornstalk) and my autumn flag. I also have a little pumpkin lantern that I put a candle in for Halloween only.

I'm not real big on Halloween. I think having the dogs bark every single time someone rings the bell has something to do with it
Old 10-26-2011, 08:03 PM   #75
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Joanne, I do more of an Autumn theme as well to keep through Thanksgiving. Not that big on Halloween but so enjoy seeing the small young kids dressed in costume. However, we do not get nearly as many as we used to.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:27 PM   #76
New Mommy

Linda - hugs to you! Sounds like you've had a challenging past. I don't mind being an only child - I like not having to share anything.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:33 PM   #77
New Mommy

Quote:
In the past, we've carved our pumpkins on Halloween. We used to stay home and Brandon would dress up and hand out candy but I'm not sure exactly what we're doing this year. We were going to go to some friends and families houses, but I realized that Preston's costume won't fit in the car seat so we'd have to take it off and on at every house we drive to.

I put up a bunch of Fall decorations (September through November) and a few Halloween things close to Halloween. Nothing scary, mostly pumpkins.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:36 PM   #78
New Mommy

Quote:
Just checking in before I head to bed.

I forgot to comment on the decorations question. Marie wishes I would go all out and scary, but I do autumn/harvest because I can leave everything up through Thanksgiving. This year, I did a lot less than I normally do. The place I normally buy pumpkins, haybales and cornstalks has changed hands and they didn't have what I was looking for when I went. I have since seen pumpkins, but didn't go back. So for this year I have Indian corn on the mailbox (usually a cornstalk) and my autumn flag. I also have a little pumpkin lantern that I put a candle in for Halloween only.

I'm not real big on Halloween. I think having the dogs bark every single time someone rings the bell has something to do with it
No pumpkin?!?!?! That makes me sad!

We have 3 on our porch - one for each of us. And a gnarly looking gourd that I thought was really cool.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:15 AM   #79
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Liz - that is an AWESOME PICTURE of the two of you. You know, Julie is 18 1/2 - do you think she has a shot with him? LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by caterinafmig
Liz, you are soooo young looking - great looking guy, too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindalaskowski
Liz,
Great picture!!!
You and your son are very attractive!!!
Aw, thanks. I keep thinking 'not bad for an old broad' LOL

Joanne - eh, not sure at this time anyway. I think someone has his heart right now but they are just taking it slow. And that's a good thing!

Old 10-27-2011, 03:18 AM   #80
Stazon Splitcoast

Linda - my heart is with you.
Jennifer - I decorate more for Fall and switch out a few Halloween for Thanksgiving items. Learned that from www.holidaygrandplan.com a few years ago. I don't have a pumpkin yet! Usually we have various sizes - one for each of us. Just been to crazy around here!

Now the one who takes FIRST PLACE in the Halloween decor would be Denise! Wish she'd pop in again.