Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2012, 06:10 AM   #1
New Mommy

Send a message via MSN to jkincolorado
Default ***Misfit Monday (10-22-12)***

Good morning!

We spent all weekend working on our deck. We rented a sander and did as much as we could with that and then we hand sanded the rest. The previous owners painted the deck so we had to remove as much paint as possible so we could re-paint the deck. Not sure why anyone would PAINT a deck instead of staining it - it's so much work to maintain!!! It was red and now it's brown!!!! Looks so much better! We ran out of paint and daylight - we were painting in the dark to try to get as much done as possible.

Going to lunch with a friend and then Preston and I were invited to Grandma's work to celebrate one of her co-workers birthdays. I think they all just want an excuse to see Preston
Old 10-22-2012, 06:20 AM   #2
Mad Swapper

Smile

Good Monday Morning Everyone!!!
It is a gloomy Fall day today, but is supposed to reach record highs this week. I'd love to see the sun!!!

Everyone enjoy your day!!!

~~~LINDA~~~

We had to get rid of the kids~~~

~~~The cats were allergic!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-22-2012, 06:59 AM   #3
Glitter Guru

Good Morning, its going to be a cold rainy day, I cant wait!

We spent the weekend reorganizing drawers and putting things away. I still have to paint the knobs and doors for my cabinets. Paul installed the threshold for the wood floor and finished all of the trim. Plus he put back on the closet doors and the door to the room.

I also squeezed in some house work, laundry, trip to the dollar store, Kohls & BB&Beyond with my MILS & SIL.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:06 AM   #4
Glitter Guru

I bought a sweater yesterday at Kohl's, it was on sale and I had 2 coupons. My winter wardrobe needs some help, that's putting it nicely.

I will post pics of the craft room remodel as soon as 1) I find what box I stashed my camera in for safe keeping or 2) I find the cord for my phone and I can upload pictures from that.

I don't really want to put them on FB and that is the only place I can post them without needing the cord for my phone.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:09 AM   #5
Glitter Guru

Jennifer, have your hands stopped vibrating from the sander yet? I don't know why anyone would paint over a wood deck, doesn't make sense. Maybe they just really liked the color red.

Is this the last big project from the great backyard remodel?
Old 10-22-2012, 07:11 AM   #6
Glitter Guru

I'm done with my break, Hope you all have a great day. Can't wait to hear what everyone did over the weekend.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:33 AM   #7
Die Cut Diva

Good Monday Morning!

Heather and Jennifer - y'all were both super busy this weekend! Good for you for accomplishing so much!

I'm only working thru Wednesday and Thursday I'm flying to Houston! Can't wait to see Xander!

I've been working on my Secret Santa Gift! so far I'm very happy with it! Can't wait to send it off!

Sherry
Old 10-22-2012, 08:16 AM   #8
New Mommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat View Post
Jennifer, have your hands stopped vibrating from the sander yet? I don't know why anyone would paint over a wood deck, doesn't make sense. Maybe they just really liked the color red.

Is this the last big project from the great backyard remodel?
I don't know, I just watched

I did a bunch of the hand sanding though.

And yes, this is the last big project left in our backyard. It's been on our to-do list for a long time - feels good to have it almost done. I want it to be done for Preston's birthday party so people aren't all stuck inside - hopefully the weather will cooperate!
Old 10-22-2012, 08:24 AM   #9
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Happy Monday! It is a beautiful, sunny day! I'm happy. I'll open windows in a bit, it is still a little chilly. I have on a short sleeved shirt and grabbed a sweater!

Jennifer - our neighbors had painted their deck, too. It was green. Very different. I guess people just have different ideas. When we moved in our deck had been neglected and it was only four years old. We had to sand and stain. Then we ended up needing to replace some things. The deck was built over 23 years ago and really should be replaced. I don't think it was built to code when it was put up and now there are even more changes to the code. We also need to reside the house and I have other projects. If only we had a TON of money! LOL
Old 10-22-2012, 09:57 AM   #10
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Happy Monday!

Reynold and I are recuperating from Conrad's birthday at River Valley Ranch yesterday .... we just basically sat around and watched.

The boys had a great time and posted some pictures on facebook.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:59 AM   #11
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkincolorado View Post
Good morning!

We spent all weekend working on our deck. We rented a sander and did as much as we could with that and then we hand sanded the rest. The previous owners painted the deck so we had to remove as much paint as possible so we could re-paint the deck. Not sure why anyone would PAINT a deck instead of staining it - it's so much work to maintain!!! It was red and now it's brown!!!! Looks so much better! We ran out of paint and daylight - we were painting in the dark to try to get as much done as possible.

Going to lunch with a friend and then Preston and I were invited to Grandma's work to celebrate one of her co-workers birthdays. I think they all just want an excuse to see Preston

Keeping up with a deck is hard work - that is why we put Trex this go around. We need all the maintenance free stuff we can get!

Enjoy your lunch!
Old 10-22-2012, 10:02 AM   #12
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

This one is definitely for me....

Wow, this is a great relief

... and I thought it was just me

Doors....an aha moment...

I had to share this extremely valuable piece of scientific research.

Now this is meaningful research!

Whew! What a relief to learn this...

Ever walk into a room with some purpose in mind, only to completely forget what that purpose was?

Turns out, doors themselves are to blame for these strange memory lapses.

Psychologists at the University of Notre Dame have discovered that passing through a doorway triggers what's known as an event boundary in the mind, separating one set of thoughts and memories from the next.

Your brain files away the thoughts you had in the previous room and prepares a blank slate for the new locale. It's not aging, it's the door! Thank goodness for studies like this.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:26 PM   #13
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Well, it appears we have some problem with our signs in the front yard. For the past couple of days, they have been removed, trashed, etc. Reynold is out in the yard now doing clean up. Goodness my gracious as my grandson used to say when he was little.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:38 PM   #14
New Mommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by caterinafmig View Post
Well, it appears we have some problem with our signs in the front yard. For the past couple of days, they have been removed, trashed, etc. Reynold is out in the yard now doing clean up. Goodness my gracious as my grandson used to say when he was little.
Are you talking about political signs? If so, that is so sad. I wish people could just respect others views.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:42 PM   #15
New Mommy

We're back from our day out - had a yummy lunch at Noodles and Co with a friend and then went to grandma's work for birthday cake. Preston had fun playing with the 2 other little boys that are close in age. We stopped by Lowe's on our way home and got another gallon of paint. Just put Preston down for a nap and I'm going outside to work on the deck.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:11 PM   #16
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
Are you talking about political signs? If so, that is so sad. I wish people could just respect others views.

Yes, Jennifer, it is more than sad and yes, people should respect other people's views, however, it is what it is. My neighbor across the street was sweet enough to get our signs and bring them over to us.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:12 PM   #17
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
We're back from our day out - had a yummy lunch at Noodles and Co with a friend and then went to grandma's work for birthday cake. Preston had fun playing with the 2 other little boys that are close in age. We stopped by Lowe's on our way home and got another gallon of paint. Just put Preston down for a nap and I'm going outside to work on the deck.
Love Noodles & Co...

When are you having Preston's party?
Old 10-22-2012, 02:12 PM   #18
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Yes, Jennifer, it is more than sad and yes, people should respect other people's views, however, it is what it is. My neighbor across the street was sweet enough to get our signs and bring them over to us.
I do not like the way we handle politics and elections anymore. So much negativity and meanness. We can disagree without being physical and nasty. Julie asked if I was going to watch the debate tonight. I'm not. I get too upset watching the negativity and rudeness. I know who I'm going to vote for and I just don't want to get upset before I go to bed. You all know I have enough trouble sleeping.

Spent more time in my craft room this afternoon. I went through more stuff in my closet! I have the floor of the closet for my cross stitch supplies - that takes up so much less room than stamping! I reorganized and was able to consolidate stuff again. Then I was able to move the computer related stuff that Bill keeps onto the floor. Now I have another half of a shelf available! I didn't even get rid of that much, just reorganized. I do think there are some things on the top shelf I can toss. I've gone through some of my crafting magazines and got rid of a lot of those. There are a few more and a box of old greeting cards (purchased). I need to sort through them and take stuff to church if they are still in good shape.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:15 PM   #19
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor View Post

Spent more time in my craft room this afternoon. I went through more stuff in my closet! I have the floor of the closet for my cross stitch supplies - that takes up so much less room than stamping! I reorganized and was able to consolidate stuff again. Then I was able to move the computer related stuff that Bill keeps onto the floor. Now I have another half of a shelf available! I didn't even get rid of that much, just reorganized. I do think there are some things on the top shelf I can toss. I've gone through some of my crafting magazines and got rid of a lot of those. There are a few more and a box of old greeting cards (purchased). I need to sort through them and take stuff to church if they are still in good shape.

Sounds like you are doing well in your craft room - good for you!!!
Old 10-22-2012, 03:01 PM   #20
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Rats, just realized that I did not get to see the meteor shower this weekend.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:42 PM   #21
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

I missed it, too, Caterina.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:51 PM   #22
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jor View Post
I missed it, too, Caterina.

I even said something to Reynold when he went to bed that I was going to try to see it!
Old 10-22-2012, 03:52 PM   #23
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

QOTD - how is everyone doing on their SS?

I think I am nearly done!
Old 10-22-2012, 04:07 PM   #24
Stazon Splitcoast

QOTD: I haven't even started. I have a hard time deciding on what to get? Any ideas?
Old 10-22-2012, 04:15 PM   #25
Swapper of the Month January 2013

Send a message via MSN to nikki1578 Send a message via Yahoo to nikki1578

hope you all had a great weekend, i enjoyed mine especially yesterday with my grandparents and aunt. we had a great time. TODAY was def a MONDAY at school wow the kiddos were crazy lol. and so was I lol .

i bought one thing for my SS i need to get busy
Old 10-22-2012, 04:25 PM   #26
Mad Swapper

Smile

Quote:
I only have one thing so far, but have things in my mind.

~~~LINDA~~~

Old 10-22-2012, 04:48 PM   #27
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyj View Post
QOTD: I haven't even started. I have a hard time deciding on what to get? Any ideas?

Just have fun with it Joan - no matter you get, will be appreciated!
Old 10-22-2012, 08:17 PM   #28
New Mommy

Quote:
Love Noodles & Co...

When are you having Preston's party?
His party is this Saturday on his actual birthday.

I'm doing a Noah's Ark theme - I'm going to attempt to make an Ark cake and all animal themed foods.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:41 PM   #29
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
His party is this Saturday on his actual birthday.

I'm doing a Noah's Ark theme - I'm going to attempt to make an Ark cake and all animal themed foods.

Sounds wonderful!!!!
Old 10-23-2012, 05:49 AM   #30
New Mommy

Got the deck finished yesterday. Now I just need to do touch ups and a second coat - that should be much easier. Our weather is supposed to turn Thursday and get very cold with a chance of snow. Saturday's high is only supposed to be 40*. Even if nobody goes out onto the deck, it will still look nice from inside Last year it was gorgeous and people were sitting outside - such is life.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:00 AM   #31
Die Cut Diva

I have started on my SS. I'm making 2 things and will get some things off her wish list! Very Exciting! I love making things for people you know will love and appreciate them!

I love handmade items! Makes me feel special!

I hope everyone has a great day! Pretty here high of 88....indian summer !

Sherry
Old 10-23-2012, 08:57 AM   #32
New Mommy

Quote:

I think I am nearly done!
I'm embarrassed to say I haven't even started yet! I want to get through Halloween before I start thinking of Christmas.

I do have some ideas swirling around in my head though
Old 10-23-2012, 11:19 AM   #33
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

It is a super beautiful sunny warm day here and tomorrow is going to be even warmer.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:15 PM   #34
New Mommy

My crown just came off. This does not fit well into my mad dash to get ready for Preston's party!!!!
Old 10-23-2012, 01:06 PM   #35
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
My crown just came off. This does not fit well into my mad dash to get ready for Preston's party!!!!

Bummer!
Old 10-23-2012, 01:09 PM   #36
New Mommy

Well, as luck has it, the dentist is closed today so I have to wait until tomorrow morning.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:12 PM   #37
New Mommy

I'm trying to find a carpet cleaning company and it's quite overwhelming! I'm just going to do the lower 2 rooms and the stairs. I don't have time to move everything in all the upstairs rooms and we'll have it blocked off for the party anyway.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:36 PM   #38
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Quote:
I'm trying to find a carpet cleaning company and it's quite overwhelming! I'm just going to do the lower 2 rooms and the stairs. I don't have time to move everything in all the upstairs rooms and we'll have it blocked off for the party anyway.

When we did have wall-to-wall carpet, we usually rented a carpet cleaner - steam cleaners were good. So glad that we got rid of the carpets to expose the hardwood floors. We do have a few small area rugs and Reynold just rented a cleaner to do those this summer.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:10 PM   #39
Mad Swapper

Smile

When we bought our house, the bedrooms had hardwood floors, and I figured the rest of the house did too, since my grandparents built many years out here, and there's was in their house. Of course, the lady that lived here before us had the whole inside of the house profesionally painted, and it all carpeted. Everything was gray. So, when we went shopping for furniture, we decided to paint and pull up the carpet. There was unfinished wood everywhere, but also a million staples that we had to pull out. Also, in the living room, close to the kitchen was a patched area. We found out that there was a fire in the house at some time. So, they had to tear the entire floor in the living room and hall, and re-lay it and some new, sand it and finish it. I don't think I could ever live with carpet again. I have a few rugs that we use here and there sometime, usually in the winter. Sometimes I wish we would have stained the floors darker, but ours doesn't show anything, so they are very low maintenance.

~~~LINDA~~~

Old 10-23-2012, 03:16 PM   #40
Swapper of the Month January 2013

Send a message via MSN to nikki1578 Send a message via Yahoo to nikki1578

hope you all had a great day today