Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   The Cat's Pajamas (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/cats-pajamas-f277/)
-   -   Opininions needed to keep me from going broke! (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/cats-pajamas-f277/opininions-needed-keep-me-going-broke-t546077.html)

Michellelovesscrap 01-13-2012 12:04 PM

Opininions needed to keep me from going broke!

OK, I am a new fan of TCP and I am ready to place my second order, but I need to pare it down, as my wish list is way above my budget!
For sure, must have apron cut up and heart rosette cut up.
So aside from that, please tell me what are your fave TCP cutup and stamp, and why is it a must have.
Thanks in advance!

stampinjewelsd 01-13-2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michellelovesscrap (Post 19083233)
OK, I am a new fan of TCP and I am ready to place my second order, but I need to pare it down, as my wish list is way above my budget!
So aside from that, please tell me what are your fave TCP cutup and stamp, and why is it a must have.
Thanks in advance!

That's a really tough question! I don't think I could pick just one set as my favorite! The penguin sets all have a special place in my heart, I just adore them.

As much as I would like to buy everything from each TCP release it's just not in my budget either. I have slowly built up my TCP collection over the last year or two. The great things about TCP sets and Cut Ups is that they are affordable. I would pick a couple sets and one or two Cut Up's from each release. On the month's when there is no release you could always purchase a couple of the ones that you missed.

I would also take into consideration what type of cards you send. Do you send mostly birthday cards, Christmas cards, or friendship cards? Pick a few sets that will work for your stamping needs.

Be sure you enter TCP's Tuesday Challenge! Alma is very generous with her prizes each week! That Cat Cash really helps out paying for orders!:D

Good luck with your shopping!

LSN 01-13-2012 01:37 PM

As a huge TCP fan, I would like to say hey anything with Sprinkle. However, I also realize that you?re trying to get the most bang for your buck. I think A Bear Good Year is a great multi purpose set. You can use it year round for many different occasions.

As far as cut-ups go, I'm probably not going to be as helpful. Some of the most versatile are the new Queen of Hearts, Icing, or the clouds border.

I agree with Julie. Play along in the challenges. Alma is one of the most generous company owners out there!

Welcome to a great stamp company!

Linda

Michellelovesscrap 01-13-2012 01:45 PM

Thanks ladies. I am also a SU demo, so I have TONS of stamps. I'm really interested in the cut-ups, though I LOVE the bunny (I use Copics a lot). I send cards for:
birthday
Christmas
Thank you
sympathy
just because

I don't really do V-day, but I am interested in the heart trio. It's just so tough to stay within budget!

stampinjewelsd 01-13-2012 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michellelovesscrap (Post 19083475)
Thanks ladies. I am also a SU demo, so I have TONS of stamps. I'm really interested in the cut-ups, though I LOVE the bunny (I use Copics a lot). I send cards for:
birthday
Christmas
Thank you
sympathy
just because

I don't really do V-day, but I am interested in the heart trio. It's just so tough to stay within budget!

I also LOVE the Heart Trio Cut Ups! I love the heart is a shaped a little differently than most of the other heart dies on the market. It's also really fun to layer with it. As you are a demo, I would go for the dies that are a different style than the ones you can get with SU!

Michellelovesscrap 01-13-2012 02:19 PM

actualy, Julie, your recent card to the gallery is what made me want the icing border! i love that card! i think you may have also used the heart trio on the inside.

stampinjewelsd 01-13-2012 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michellelovesscrap (Post 19083562)
actualy, Julie, your recent card to the gallery is what made me want the icing border! i love that card! i think you may have also used the heart trio on the inside.

Too funny! I do love the Icing Cut Up's as well. Again, it's different than the other dies that I have. I really want to purchase the Apron one as well, it's the same sort of style. It's been on my wish list for awhile but Alma keeps coming out with new things that I must have!

Makalah 01-13-2012 08:20 PM

I like the icing border die since you can use the loopy side or the more scalloped side with the rest tucked under paper.

The circus panels also seem very versatile for using individually or stacking - cut out colored paper or just stamp sentiments on them.

Makalah 01-14-2012 11:04 PM

Ok Michelle, what did you decide on? :)

Miss Meowy 01-15-2012 01:31 AM

Well, I'm going to put my two cents worth in here.

I think that the gal's have it right by pointing you in the direction of versatile sets like A Beary Good Year. Not only is that set a really good value for the number of stamps, but it's a great year round set with lots of little stamps to personalize the bear. And if you have other stamps, you can use the stamps with them. Plus, it comes along with good basic sentiments too.

Another one I reach for all the time is Simply Said. It's a set I reach for over and over for good basic sayings that can work by themselves or with sets you already have.

And our new Build-A-Bingo set is another, hipper set, that can be personalized for the occasion, used as a background stamp or main image.

We really understand that budgets are limited and try to make the sets, in general, as versatile as we can by adding a variety of different sentiments that work with the main stamp.

And when designing the CutUps, it's the same way. Not only can they work by themselves, but with our stamps. We really try to design many of the CutUps so that you can get several looks from one die.

Our border dies, for example, give two different designs when they are cut. The positive and negative.

The rosette dies, not only can be made into rosettes, or used flat, but as a mat under a smaller circle, showing different edges depending on the size of the circle you put on top of it. The doily die is the same way.

Check the Gallery on our website and see the different ways that our designers have used them. They are constantly surprising me by showing different ways to use the CutUps.

Hope this helps.

Miss Meowy 01-15-2012 01:34 AM

Oh, and my favorite CutUps is the one that I'm working on at the moment. Which means you haven't seen it yet. :)

nancyt 01-15-2012 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miss Meowy (Post 19088452)
Oh, and my favorite CutUps is the one that I'm working on at the moment. Which means you haven't seen it yet. :)

You are such a tease Miss Alma!!

nancyt 01-15-2012 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michellelovesscrap (Post 19083233)
Thanks in advance!

Hi Michelle! I am on The Cat Pack team but I wasn't always. I was a fan long before I joined the DT so I was a shopper on a budget just like you.

Julie had a good idea to space out your purchases each month. I would definitely buy on release night as Alma usually has a deal going on then. And I agree about the A Beary Good Year - it really is a versatile set. You need The Bunny - you just do!! Since you send out birthday cards, I would suggest at least one of the birthday bunny sets to start out with. For sympathy cards, I have used The Tweetest Things set several times, combining it with the sentiments from the Simply Said set. Here is a blog post where I featured sympathy cards using these sets:

Sympathy Cards

And you gotta have a penquin. There are several sets featuring them but my favorite one is the Up, Up and Away set.

As far as CutUps, I agree that the Heart Trios is a fabulous set. They look great separated or stacked. Other favorites are the Big Scallop (I use it a lot), the Cloud Border because it looks great in a strip as is or separated and Circus Panels because they are so versatile. I also love the Grass border - I had a Martha Stewart punch so I resisted a grass die for a long time until Alma released this one. I love that it is so different from the other grass dies you see out there. Oh, and the Snowflake die is an absolute must for Christmas/Winter cards. I love that thing!!

Happy Shopping!

TruCarMa 01-16-2012 08:30 AM

I have to say, I am really LOVING the new Queen of Hearts Border CutUps die right now - you get two border dies for the price of one! The dotted scallop and the 'crown' like opposite side of the die with the sweet little hearts.

Since I can't just leave it at one, I'll also give you my top 5 go-to CutUps (but you know I love 'em all...), in no particular order:

-- Snowflake: I love the mod shape of this - it's unlike anything else on the market (thanks to our resident genius, Miss Meowy). It doesn't just have to be a snowflake, either. Your can layer a couple together, put a button in the middle, and it becomes a flower. Also, I saw Julee Tilman make the neatest Christmas wreath using it during the holidays.

-- Circus Panels: SUPER, super versatile!

-- Cloud border: I just love the shape of these clouds, and you can cut them out for singles or use them as they come, border style. Again, it's all about versatility and getting the most bang for your buck, IMHO.

-- Icing: this is just utterly unique and F-U-N! And I love the 'Hostess Cupcake' retro-ness of it. It's a perfect example of TCP Swankiness!

Dang it - now I'm at #5, and I can't decide between the Easy Rosette, Pennant, Anywhere Ribbon Slide, and the new Lacy Floral Doily! Pick any one of those, and I can make an argument for 'em. :)

Hope this helps your shopping! Or at least helps you create a prioritized wish list...

Michellelovesscrap 01-17-2012 11:34 AM

I decided on:
Icing border
heart rosette
cloud border
snowflake die
bearing flowers
build a bingo

I already have lacy snowflake, ribbon slide, the bunny behind the snowballs, the sheep with the scarf and the cuttlehug which i bought on my first order.

jmasse 01-17-2012 01:12 PM

Oh man I missed this whole thread!! You got some GREAT advice though from everyone!! I will definitely second Carole's sentiment about the Queen of Hearts border - I've been using that on everything lately!!

AND the Circus panels - people are going to get sick of me - lol!! For the recent Fan Club gallery I used it a couple of times, but I used a ton of CutUps overall - I think they really are the most versatile dies out there!!

Sounds like you have a great start on your collection! :)

Michellelovesscrap 01-18-2012 06:10 AM

I really like the Circus panels, but will have to get that later.

Michellelovesscrap 01-18-2012 07:11 AM

Here are two creations:
Snow Sheep by Michellelovesscrap - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Snowball Bunny by Michellelovesscrap - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

nancyt 01-18-2012 05:27 PM

You made some great choices Michelle - have fun with your new goodies!!

jmasse 01-19-2012 05:41 AM

Looks like you're putting those goodies to good use Michelle! :)

stampinjewelsd 01-19-2012 08:36 AM

Looks like you made some great choices Michelle! Have fun when your goodies arrive!

Love the two cards you posted! I NEED a few of those sets! LOL