Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2011, 09:00 AM   #1
Member Company

Wink Die Cutting Hints!

Our CutUps die line is almost 1 year old! And I think you like them!

Wafer thin dies, are really hot right now, despite being really new!
Since they are so new, I'd love to hear what tips you might have when using these wafer-thin dies.

My favorite tip when using the border CutUps (or the long, narrow ones) for layering, is to place the die face down on the side of the paper that you want to show. When the die cuts, it will impress the edge of the die into the paper. I use this impression to layer, and line up paper below it, to get a nice, straight, even border. If I don't want the impression, I cut on the "other" side of the paper.

Do you have any tips you want to share?

Last edited by Miss Meowy; 01-20-2012 at 11:18 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 05-08-2011, 09:52 AM   #2
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

That's a great tip! I'd never heard that one! I use 3m repositionable tape to hold the cut ups on the patterned paper if I'm doing paper piecing and want a certain part of the design.

On the borders, I cut with the cutting side down too to keep my well loved big shot plates from etching my die cut, and I also put the borders in the middle of the paper so I get a two for one - a positive and negative with one cut.

My 2014 Convention
Retreat

My Gallery |My Blog | My Store
Love Splitcoast?
Help us love our volunteers by shopping at Amazon

Old 05-09-2011, 04:37 AM   #3
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I LOVE LOVE my Cut-Ups!! I used a bunch of them this weekend when I made my scrapbook page for NSD and as I made 35 ATCs for church.

One thing that I know people struggle with sometimes is when a die cut gets "stuck" in the die. I love how many of the TCP Cut-Ups have little "release" holes that you can stick a pokey thing in and pop out the die cut. But if your die doesn't have a release hole, I like to take a piece of scrap paper with a line of adhesive on it Simply stick your die cut (still in the die) to the adhesive and pull the paper gently out of the die. By using a lower tack adhesive you should be able to unstick it with no problem!
Old 05-09-2011, 06:46 AM   #4
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmasse View Post
I LOVE LOVE my Cut-Ups!! I used a bunch of them this weekend when I made my scrapbook page for NSD and as I made 35 ATCs for church.

One thing that I know people struggle with sometimes is when a die cut gets "stuck" in the die. I love how many of the TCP Cut-Ups have little "release" holes that you can stick a pokey thing in and pop out the die cut. But if your die doesn't have a release hole, I like to take a piece of scrap paper with a line of adhesive on it Simply stick your die cut (still in the die) to the adhesive and pull the paper gently out of the die. By using a lower tack adhesive you should be able to unstick it with no problem!
Thanks for this tip! I have a doily die I struggle with everytime. I was using my exacto knife to try and get in under an edge, but this is much safer and probably works better!
MY ETSY
Old 05-09-2011, 07:21 AM   #5
Member Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Understandblue View Post
On the borders, I cut with the cutting side down too to keep my well loved big shot plates from etching my die cut, and I also put the borders in the middle of the paper so I get a two for one - a positive and negative with one cut.
I love this tip. That way I get two borders in one shot.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:32 PM   #6
LSN
Glitter Guru

How about storage?

I store my longer dies in the magnetic Quikcutz trifold folders. My other dies are kept in 2 sided cd envelopes that I've cut down a magnetic sheet (I use a large magneticvent cover that I'm able to cut down into about 8 pieces each) that I insert into the cd envelopes got the dies to stick to. I have all my button dies on one, the postmark one and the matching template in one, etc. They are then stored in a cd holder your case that I'm able to flip through to find my dies. Organized and compact!

Clear as mud? If you would like pics, let me know here in the thread and I'll do my best.

Linda
Old 05-09-2011, 07:29 PM   #7
Member Company

I'd love to see how you store your dies, Linda. Pictures are always welcome
Old 05-10-2011, 09:50 AM   #8

Oh Linda I'd love to see a pic! I'm needing to do something with ALL my dies and would love to see your system!
Old 05-11-2011, 06:03 AM   #9
Matboard Maniac

A tip that works with embosslits or sizzlits (Sizzix brand thin dies) to release tiny die cuts from the die is to rub waxed paper over the die cutting areas before placing your paper down and cutting. You don't have to rub it every time, but every 3-4 cuts. I'm not familiar with the Cut-Ups, but maybe this will work with them as well.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:10 AM   #10
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Wow - I'm going to try that waxed paper tip!!

My 2014 Convention
Retreat

My Gallery |My Blog | My Store
Love Splitcoast?
Help us love our volunteers by shopping at Amazon

Old 05-11-2011, 06:18 AM   #11
Cardstock Collector

Default Here's a tip!

Here's a tip I think you will all like! When I do a die cut out that has a lot of little hole details, I use a lint roller to get those little holes out. Just roll the lint roller over the cut out either in the die or take it out and hold it down while you roll it works like magic! And no residue either, great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Meowy View Post
Our CutUps die line is almost 1 year old! And I think you like them!

Paper thin dies, are really hot right now, despite being really new!
Since they are so new, I'd love to hear what tips you might have when using these wafer-thin dies.

My favorite tip when using the border CutUps (or the long, narrow ones) for layering, is to place the die face down on the side of the paper that you want to show. When the die cuts, it will impress the edge of the die into the paper. I use this impression to layer, and line up paper below it, to get a nice, straight, even border. If I don't want the impression, I cut on the "other" side of the paper.

Do you have any tips you want to share?
Old 05-11-2011, 06:25 AM   #12
Embossing Fanatic

I haven't heard of or seen the Cut-Ups line (although i plan on hunting for it after this), but I have used the wax paper tip. Just place your wax paper on the die before you position your cardstock or DP. Works like a charm! I had taken back an intricate Spellbinders die because I couldn't get the paper out after cutting. But the wax paper works great!
Old 05-11-2011, 07:18 AM   #13
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmasse View Post
Oh Linda I'd love to see a pic! I'm needing to do something with ALL my dies and would love to see your system!
For those of you wondering how to store your dies, if you have a cupboard door in your craft area, you can put up strips of thin magnetic sheet on the inside of the door and stick your dies to it - all visible at once, easy to get at. Here's a link to a picture I posted in my gallery when someone else wanted to see how I did it:

Nestabilities storage by susanbri - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

My gallery is here should you care to look!
Old 05-11-2011, 08:09 AM   #14
LSN
Glitter Guru

OK Alma and Julie! Here are some pics of my die storage along with links to the products used.

I purchase magnetic vent covers from Home Depot (although the link takes you to Amazon as I couldn't find these on the Home Depot web site). They are under $6.00 and you get 3 8" x 15" magnets that I cut down (I get 8 total cuts from one magnet sheet, so its super economical when you consider you get three sheets total to a pack). I purchase two sided cd holders/sleeves from Office Max. These are the kind that are more plasticy so I figure they'll hold up to a little more wear and tear. I just slip my magnets with the dies into the envelopes and store them in my box. The Quikutz folders I purchase at Hobby Lobby with a 40% coupon.

The thumbnail below with the banner dies are held in one cd sleeve. One set of banners on the front and another on the back of the same cd sleeve. I love how the postmark die and template all fit together on one side of the sleeve too. The pink box is a Pink "Really Useful Box" that has a snap on lid that I found at Office Max. These sleeves would also fit perfectly in a CD Holder that you can purchase at Walmart, Target, etc. As you can see from the pink box, I have quite a few dies.

Hope this helps!

Linda
Attached Thumbnails
die-storage-banner.jpg   die-storage-buttons.jpg   die-storage-postmark.jpg   die-storage-box.jpg   die-storage-quikutz.jpg  

Last edited by LSN; 05-11-2011 at 08:13 AM.. Reason: Add more to original post
Old 05-11-2011, 09:49 AM   #15
Rubber Obsessor

Send a message via AIM to Clyndago

Linda, thank you for your great pics! I have been trying something similar with paper CD holders - are yours plastic?

My little blog: http://lynda-marquez.blogspot.com
Old 05-11-2011, 10:03 AM   #16
Pearl-ExPert

Mine are stored on magnetic strips attached to cardstock and filed in the pages of a $5 photo album from Walmart. The album gets full, so I simply thinned out some of the album pages by cutting them out.
MY ETSY
Old 05-11-2011, 10:41 AM   #17
LSN
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyndago View Post
Linda, thank you for your great pics! I have been trying something similar with paper CD holders - are yours plastic?
Yes they are plastic. I figured they would be more sturdy that way.

Linda
Old 05-11-2011, 10:53 AM   #18
Matboard Maniac

I store my spellbinders on magnetic strips It comes like a tape roll and put them on cardbord and put put them in a cd book right now I have 200 dies in it and it will hold 250 this way I can put them on a bookshelf or take it with me they never fall out, I have another book for my embossing folders and for my sizzix dies ( the small ones) took over my kids baseball cards sleaves and put them in a 3 ring zip up notebook, it works great for me to save on space. I do turn the spellbinders dies so the sharp edge is facing the cardbord so it doesn't dig into the sleeve.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:44 AM   #19
Polyshrink Goddess

I take the dies off of their 'home'...the sticky tape holds my magnetic business card...put the dies right on the magnet. Takes several seconds and wham bam...thank you, it's done!!!!! So my SBers are right back on their packaging!!!! And then they are placed in a CD holder/CD bin!!!!!!
Pics, anyone!! Will provide if requested.
My SCS Gallery
Old 05-11-2011, 12:05 PM   #20
Member Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by adctd2stamping View Post
Pics, anyone!! Will provide if requested.
Oh I MUST see this. It sounds terrific.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:06 PM   #21
Member Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassilass View Post
Here's a tip I think you will all like! When I do a die cut out that has a lot of little hole details, I use a lint roller to get those little holes out. Just roll the lint roller over the cut out either in the die or take it out and hold it down while you roll it works like magic! And no residue either, great.
WOW! That is awesome. I'm totally going to have to try this.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:08 PM   #22
Member Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSN View Post
OK Alma and Julie! Here are some pics of my die storage along with links to the products used.
Thank you for the pictures! I love the idea of keeping all the "small pieces" together.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:48 PM   #23
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Pics of spellbinders dies

I have Spellbinders dies and here are a few pics of how I store mine. if it's easy it's for me!!!!

The magnets are business cards that are no longer 'useable' for business.
Showing you how I lay them out in the Spellbinders packaging in one photo.
That CD holder/bin was a bargain at J's years ago!!! there are more than 30 sets of Spellbinders, some in the original pkg and some just on the 'card' they were packaged with. Years ago some of them came in cd holders, they are in the front.

My Verve dies are in cases with their matching stamps. More on that later. AND I just found out that TCP has dies, so I may have to check them out!
Attached Thumbnails
spellbinders-storage_jdgilch-5.11.11-001.jpg   sb-storage-05.11.11jdgilch-002.jpg   sb-storage-05.11.11jdgilch-003.jpg  
My SCS Gallery
Old 05-11-2011, 12:59 PM   #24
Polyshrink Goddess

Dear Miss Meowy, checking out the dies...do you have any pics of what they look like outside of the packaging? AND more than one year? WOW, where have I been?
My SCS Gallery
Old 05-11-2011, 01:18 PM   #25
Member Company

Quote:
Dear Miss Meowy, checking out the dies...do you have any pics of what they look like outside of the packaging? AND more than one year? WOW, where have I been?
We are going to have to catch you up, now!

If you go here, you can see the dies and they are pretty much what you see on the packaging. The only exception is the Pinwheels and the Easy Rosette. But if you have time to watch the videos on that page I show the dies for them in the video.

Or if you go to LSN's post earlier in the thread, post #14, all the grey dies are The Cat's Pajamas. (Thanks, Linda

Last edited by Miss Meowy; 05-11-2011 at 05:17 PM..
Old 05-11-2011, 01:43 PM   #26
Pearl-ExPert

All of these ideas are so awesome. I simply store mine in a CD case with a magnetic strip. Nothing too exciting.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:43 PM   #27
Compulsive Stamper

Default Die Cuts

I also use magnetic vent covers from Home Depot but I cut it to fit one set of Nesties, punch a hole in one corner and hang on a small hook under my stamp shelf. I also put a label on the front and keep an updated list of what I have so I don't duplicate. I'm going to try to attach a photo but I've never done that in this forum so I hope works
Attached Thumbnails
nesties-1.jpg  
Old 05-11-2011, 02:35 PM   #28
Polyshrink Goddess

Send a message via AIM to dottiejdavis
Default Storing Nestites

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasgem View Post
I also use magnetic vent covers from Home Depot but I cut it to fit one set of Nesties, punch a hole in one corner and hang on a small hook under my stamp shelf. I also put a label on the front and keep an updated list of what I have so I don't duplicate. I'm going to try to attach a photo but I've never done that in this forum so I hope works
You have a very good idea in storing your nesties. I found on a site a magnetic two "page" book that snaps shut. I store several sets of nesties in them, so I bought 5 more books. All the big nesties are in there with the little ones in cd's. I also put my clear rubber stamps in cd's with a paper inbetween layers so I can see front and back layers by flipping it over. That way I can store more. The more I can see what I have the more it will get used.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:36 PM   #29

WOWWWEEEE! These are awesome ideas!!! I really need to get a handle on my die storage. Right now I keep all my Nesties in their original package and have them hanging on pegboard. Not the greatest.

I LOVE the idea of the CD binder thingy - zip it up and they would travel nicely! Love your box of dies too Linda!! So many great ideas!! Keep them coming!
Old 05-11-2011, 02:59 PM   #30
Proud Fan Club Member

I have quite a few of the DVD-style cases that Stampin'Up! uses for their clear mount stamps. I don't use them for the stamps (that's another story - not for this thread), so I added magnetic strips to a couple of them to store dies. I've attached a couple of pics. You could use the vent covers, as others have suggested, but I had a HUGE roll of the strips, so I went with that. One strip will hold all of the dies in a set, pretty much, and I have four sets in each case. I added a little extra strip where needed, as shown in the second photo.

Alma - I have (and love) several TCP stamp sets, but totally need to scope the dies! Thanks for the heads-up...

The lint roller and wax paper tips are awesome - thanks to the posters who shared them!
Attached Thumbnails
nestabilities-storage.jpg   nestabilities-storage-closeup.jpg  

Old 05-11-2011, 05:19 PM   #31
Member Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasgem View Post
I like this idea. I'm going to have to haunt Home Depot!
Old 05-11-2011, 06:01 PM   #32

This is a great thread! You all have such great storage ideas!

I store all of my Cut Ups dies, Nesties, etc in binder boxes. I have a binder box for each company. I use magnetic strips on the inserts for the dies.....works like a charm and is probably the only thing organized in my scrap room!!
Old 05-11-2011, 08:06 PM   #33
Cardstock Collector

How do you gals deal with the 'embossing' that well loved and used cutting pads leave on the paper? I've tried running two pieces of paper through my Sizzix but I hate throwing that extra one away.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:20 PM   #34
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelfryBat View Post
How do you gals deal with the 'embossing' that well loved and used cutting pads leave on the paper? I've tried running two pieces of paper through my Sizzix but I hate throwing that extra one away.
The 'embossing' that you speak of here, BelfryBat----only shows on the backside of my paper. I place the paper down with the right side up , then place my die- cutting edge down, then the remaining sandwich recipe and voila! the backside receives that dreaded 'embossing'.
My SCS Gallery
Old 05-12-2011, 04:34 AM   #35
Inking Addict

Heart

I store my dies in a frame. I purchased a large frame from Hobby Lobby that was on sale. Then I covered the area in the middle with magnetic sheets. Now I put all of my dies in the frame and the frame hangs over my craft table. Everyone who comes into my craft room thinks that it is an ART PIECE and they OOOH and AAAAH over it. My son thinks that this is a very unique idea and the result is beautiful as well as functional. I use them more since I see them and don't have to hunt for the dies that I want to use. Hope this helps!
Old 05-12-2011, 05:11 AM   #36
Polyshrink Goddess

Birdie123.....pics please, we are all into the visual world of storing our dies!!!! The frame idea sounds so cool in the art aspect and functional world that we all love to see our 'stuff'....AND use it, too!!!!
My SCS Gallery
Old 05-12-2011, 05:15 AM   #37
Inking Addict

Quote:
Birdie123.....pics please, we are all into the visual world of storing our dies!!!! The frame idea sounds so cool in the art aspect and functional world that we all love to see our 'stuff'....AND use it, too!!!!
I will take a pic tonight and try to upload it tomorrow. I am at work right now.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:26 AM   #38
Polyshrink Goddess

will wait til then and keep checking my emails for the photos. thanks, Birdie123
My SCS Gallery
Old 05-12-2011, 06:28 AM   #39
Watercolor Wizard

I never heard of cutups Where can I see them?
Old 05-12-2011, 08:27 AM   #40
Member Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIRed2 View Post
I never heard of cutups Where can I see them?
Great question! You can see them here. They are universal wafer-thin dies, made in the US, specifically for The Cat's Pajamas