Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2011, 10:48 AM   #81
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I usually get the Grand Calibur out for the intricate dies. It has a GREAT squeeze (so far) and works well.

If I am too lazy to get it out, I do roll my Cuttlebug back and forth a couple of times.....it is frustrating when it doesn't cut all the way through.

I have used a shim too - just another piece of cardstock but it seems so hard on the poor little Cuttlebug and I don't know what I would do if my CB broke - eekkeee! - can't even think about it.

and I think it is about time for new plates....I don't like spending money on stuff like that - I would rather buy paper, bling, anything but plates Lol!

My Gallery
Proud Dirty Dozen Alumni!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-17-2011, 11:21 AM   #82
Rubber Obsessor

Default Metal shims? not for my dies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggette View Post
I have used a shim too - just another piece of cardstock but it seems so hard on the poor little Cuttlebug ......and I think it is about time for new plates....I don't like spending money on stuff like that - I would rather buy paper, bling, anything but plates Lol!
I mentioned the metal shims to my husband (who is a plastics manufacturer and an engineer) and he said the metal shim would do an excellent job of assisting the cutting of any dies due to the hardness of the material but would quickly blunten the dies and make them ineffective. He likened it to cutting your vegetable and meat on a glass cutting board compared to a plastic or wooden board. The glass board dulls a knife in no time at all and your knives need constant re sharpening whereas on a plastic or wooden chopping board the very 'softness' or give of the board helps protect the cutting edge of the knives!
This made so much sense to me that I never did buy a metal shim! It might work well but at what cost to the dies?

Last edited by madmichelle; 11-17-2011 at 11:22 AM.. Reason: spelling error
Old 11-17-2011, 12:06 PM   #83
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I agree with your husband mostly Michelle! I don't use my metal shim all the time- just for those hard to cut dies?? For a lot of dies the metal shim isn't necessary.

The thing I wonder is this .. . the dies that we use I wouldn't call "sharp", kwim? They have a metal edge but we're not really afraid of getting cut right? (now I that some of them have sharp edges, etc., but for the most part they aren't knife sharp). The reason they cut, is a lot due to pressure. So do you think we still need to worry about them "dulling" (is that a word??)
Old 11-17-2011, 12:14 PM   #84
Splitcoast Platinum Partner Company

Good point, Michelle. I'm new to the whole metal shim idea, but if we place the shim where we don't cut into the metal shim, it won't dull the blade, right?

I use the Multipurpose platform+shim+cutting plate+paper+die+top board.

Or am I doing that wrong?
Old 11-17-2011, 02:57 PM   #85

I haven't tried a metal shim (don't have one), but I've just been running a piece of thinner cardstock, like Bazzill or American Crafts through it as a shim (some ugly color I don't want anymore like gross dark purple) and roll it back and forth 4-5 times. It's kind of a pain, but it works for me and my Big Shot. I've only had it since last Christmas, and I do need to replace the "chewed" up plates, but so far, that's all I have to do with the more intricate dies. Here's my "sandwich":

Multipurpose platform+cutting plate+paper+die+shim+top cutting plate
Old 11-18-2011, 09:24 PM   #86

I need to get new plates for my CB too, that definitely helps!!
Old 11-19-2011, 05:08 AM   #87
Glitter Queen

You all are talking about a shim you might need to use for your dies! The best way to do it in my humble opinion is: MultiPurpose cutting plate (or acrylic Plate) + die(blade side up) + cardstock + acrylic Plate + shim or you could use a Crease Pad on top of the cardstock + acrylic Plate. That works for me and yes some of the metal pieces in the die can be sharpe, so it's not a good idea to run your fingers over them after all they are made of thin pieces of metal!
Old 11-19-2011, 07:06 AM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassilass View Post
You all are talking about a shim you might need to use for your dies! The best way to do it in my humble opinion is: MultiPurpose cutting plate (or acrylic Plate) + die(blade side up) + cardstock + acrylic Plate + shim or you could use a Crease Pad on top of the cardstock + acrylic Plate. That works for me and yes some of the metal pieces in the die can be sharpe, so it's not a good idea to run your fingers over them after all they are made of thin pieces of metal!
I've only seen the Crease Pad, but have wondered what it is. What is it made of? I'm not good around sharp objects.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:51 PM   #89
Glitter Queen

Default Crease Pad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Meowy View Post
I've only seen the Crease Pad, but have wondered what it is. What is it made of? I'm not good around sharp objects.
Hi, The cresae Pad is a ridged rubber material that is mainly used with dies that have score lines,such as boxes,bags,envelopes, etc; it helps with making them a sharper image so you can bend/fold the creases easier (thus the Crease Pad) and the blades won't cut thru this rubber material. It is kind of thick also so you have to use your own judgment as to what you want to use it for such as a shim, and most times you won't need a top or bottom acrylic pad when you use it.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:19 PM   #90
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSN View Post
OK Alma and Julie! Here are some pics of my die storage along with links to the products used.

I purchase magnetic vent covers from Home Depot (although the link takes you to Amazon as I couldn't find these on the Home Depot web site). They are under $6.00 and you get 3 8" x 15" magnets that I cut down (I get 8 total cuts from one magnet sheet, so its super economical when you consider you get three sheets total to a pack). I purchase two sided cd holders/sleeves from Office Max. These are the kind that are more plasticy so I figure they'll hold up to a little more wear and tear. I just slip my magnets with the dies into the envelopes and store them in my box. The Quikutz folders I purchase at Hobby Lobby with a 40% coupon.

The thumbnail below with the banner dies are held in one cd sleeve. One set of banners on the front and another on the back of the same cd sleeve. I love how the postmark die and template all fit together on one side of the sleeve too. The pink box is a Pink "Really Useful Box" that has a snap on lid that I found at Office Max. These sleeves would also fit perfectly in a CD Holder that you can purchase at Walmart, Target, etc. As you can see from the pink box, I have quite a few dies.

Hope this helps!

Linda

Linda, this is a GREAT idea. I was a little confused until I saw your pictures, but this is a really great solution. I have all my dies in the plastic sleeve they came in and then thrown in a box. I love the idea of those big magnetic sheets and so affordable, too. Thanks for the tips!
Old 12-01-2011, 12:59 PM   #91
LSN
Glitter Guru

You' re welcome Noelle! I love that this system is do easy top grow into as well. I'm already needing a new box for my dies.

Linda
Old 12-09-2011, 09:08 AM   #92
Compulsive Stamper

Default Die cut "dandruff:" Help!

Does anyone have any suggestions for cleaning up the edges of a shape after it has been die cut? There always seem to be extra little "threads" around the edges; not a big problem to remove when the shape is not too detailed, but a pain when the die is fairly detailed. I have a branch with leaves that looks ragged unless I remove the bits of extra stuff, but it's difficult to do because the branch is fairly narrow and there are lots of curves.

I have a Cuttlebug, which I love, and this seems to happen no matter what brand of dies I use, or what weight of paper.

Any suggestions?
Old 12-09-2011, 09:16 AM   #93
Matboard Maniac

did you try using 'wax paper ' in the die ?
Old 12-09-2011, 09:19 AM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue-Spruce View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions for cleaning up the edges of a shape after it has been die cut? There always seem to be extra little "threads" around the edges; not a big problem to remove when the shape is not too detailed, but a pain when the die is fairly detailed. I have a branch with leaves that looks ragged unless I remove the bits of extra stuff, but it's difficult to do because the branch is fairly narrow and there are lots of curves.

I have a Cuttlebug, which I love, and this seems to happen no matter what brand of dies I use, or what weight of paper.

Any suggestions?
Since it seems to happen no matter what type of paper or die you use that tells me it's your machine.

Sometimes, if your die-cut machine has been used a lot, or cutting different thickness of materials, the rollers in them might loosen/widen a bit. Since the wafer thin dies cut by applying pressure rather than sharp edges, you may have to add shims of cardstock or use the Cuttle Hug to give that extra pressure needed to cut cleanly.

Try adding extra shims first and try Julie's hint about rotating the die and that may help.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:46 PM   #95

And Blue-Spruce, please come back and share if you find the trick!!
Old 12-11-2011, 04:58 PM   #96
Matboard Maniac

I just got my new snowflake doily die--I was so excited and couldn't wait to use it. Well, no matter what I do I can not get a clean cut. I have a cuttlebug. I tried the shims--metal plate--rotating die even used a new B plate. I even popped the side of my cuttlebug off trying to cut this die to get a clean cut---not sure if the die is not right. I have several intricate doily dies and have no problem cutting them----HELP!!!!!!
Old 12-11-2011, 07:56 PM   #97
Insane Embellisher

Hey there, I am not sure if this helps you or not, BUT I was having the same problem, I couldn't even get it to cut all the way through paper, particularly the snowflakes in the center of the die. I have a Cuttlebug, too, it's a few years old.

I ran the die through twice with aluminum foil (hopefully this dies not damage it? it's a trick I've had work well for punches through the years) Then I did the following "sandwich" (I don't have a metal plate) A plate, Chipboard/cardboard (I used the back piece of cardboard off of one of my 6" paper pads), a piece of scrap cardstock, C plate, die, cardstock to cut, B plate. Once through and it did the trick. Before I removed the cut part, I rubbed my thumb over it all (particularly the areas that weren't cutting through before) and made sure I could clearly see that it had cut all the way through.

I'm thinking the heavier duty machines may work better for the more intricate dies, also my plates are really warped and chewed up from so many uses. I think it's time to invest in some new ones, but I was able to get a clean cut with that die in my Cuttlebug by using the foil and then the sandwich I described.... good luck, I hope that helps!
Old 12-11-2011, 07:59 PM   #98
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmasse View Post
I need to get new plates for my CB too, that definitely helps!!

Julie, how did you use the die to dry emboss your card, the one you just posted with the pink, red and white? I haven't seen that done before, it looks great!
Old 12-11-2011, 08:00 PM   #99
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSN View Post
You' re welcome Noelle! I love that this system is do easy top grow into as well. I'm already needing a new box for my dies.

Linda

Right there with ya it's bad!
Old 12-11-2011, 08:02 PM   #100

That sounds like a great advice Noelle! Thank you!!! I know my CB is old and a bit loose so several shims are needs and I run it through several times moving the die & paper to a different area on the plate each time (you know how those plates get warped & bowed), so that puts the pressure on a different area each time through.

These larger dies do take a bit more work, they even tell you that on the doily die manufacturer's video, but they are SO worth it in the end!!
Old 12-11-2011, 08:05 PM   #101

I use plate A, then plate B, then the tan embossing mat (and I also have to use a cardboard shim - you may not) then the paper, then the die (cutting side down-or up, which would give a slight different look), then another B plate. As long as the die is a single die (not one with another piece attached) it works great!
Old 12-11-2011, 08:18 PM   #102
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmasse View Post
That sounds like a great advice Noelle! Thank you!!! I know my CB is old and a bit loose so several shims are needs and I run it through several times moving the die & paper to a different area on the plate each time (you know how those plates get warped & bowed), so that puts the pressure on a different area each time through.

These larger dies do take a bit more work, they even tell you that on the doily die manufacturer's video, but they are SO worth it in the end!!
Agreed! They are soooo pretty! This is actually my first that was so intricate, I used it as a mask with shimmer spray ink tonight! So fun!

Thanks for the tip on the embossing! I have those tan mats and didn't really know how to use them, I can't wait to try, thanks Julie!
Old 12-12-2011, 11:18 PM   #103
Full of Malarky

subbing.
The World Needs More Canada - Bono
Old 12-13-2011, 06:30 AM   #104
Matboard Maniac

I have tried many ways to store my metal dies. What I do now, that I like the best, is using those Holtz/Ranger Binders. They have sturdy plastic page inserts that are great for storing uncounted stamps, clear stamps, and now I have a binder where I store all of my embossing folders.

For all of my metal thin dies, I also use these binders. I cut card stock to insert into the plastic page inserts, then used repositionable adhesive then stick each of my very thin metal dies on the card stock and insert into page holder. I love that I can flip thru the pages quickly and dies are organized by themes or style. They stay in place and don't slip around. They travel well when I stamp other places. I don't loose the tiny pieces, and the stiff page inserts keep the thin dies from bending.

For tips I use the wax paper technique the most. I am also a quilter and discovered that Clover's stilletto is the greatest for poking those tiny holes to release delicate does without damaging them. A darning needle also works great.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:54 AM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3boyzmommy View Post
Hey there, I am not sure if this helps you or not, BUT I was having the same problem, I couldn't even get it to cut all the way through paper, particularly the snowflakes in the center of the die. I have a Cuttlebug, too, it's a few years old.

I ran the die through twice with aluminum foil (hopefully this dies not damage it? it's a trick I've had work well for punches through the years) Then I did the following "sandwich" (I don't have a metal plate) A plate, Chipboard/cardboard (I used the back piece of cardboard off of one of my 6" paper pads), a piece of scrap cardstock, C plate, die, cardstock to cut, B plate. Once through and it did the trick. Before I removed the cut part, I rubbed my thumb over it all (particularly the areas that weren't cutting through before) and made sure I could clearly see that it had cut all the way through.

I'm thinking the heavier duty machines may work better for the more intricate dies, also my plates are really warped and chewed up from so many uses. I think it's time to invest in some new ones, but I was able to get a clean cut with that die in my Cuttlebug by using the foil and then the sandwich I described.... good luck, I hope that helps!
Just curious, did you try this sandwich without the foil first?
Old 12-13-2011, 01:55 PM   #106
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Meowy View Post
Just curious, did you try this sandwich without the foil first?

I did, and the center snowflakes were still sticking. But I am not sure if it was the foil that helped or just the fact that I had then used the die several times? As Julie mentioned, they are not really sharp, per say, but maybe it did help. Do you think using foil could hurt the die, Alma? I don't want to do that! I only used the foil that one time, but I thought if it was sticking again, I might try it again (that is, unless it hurts the die).
Old 12-13-2011, 02:12 PM   #107

I don't think it hurts the die, Noelle. The dies aren't supposed to be sharp, so I was just wondering if that extra run through with the foil sharpened it just enough to cut.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:03 PM   #108

Just wanted to mention I was cutting Snowflakes this week out of shrink plastic and I definitely think the Cuttle Hug made a big difference!! I didn't have it last year and remember cussing out a few flakes!! This year they were so easy!!

I think Santa needs to bring me new plates for my CB though - I sense a break coming!
Old 12-15-2011, 08:04 PM   #109
Insane Embellisher

Yeah, I am hoping Santa brings me some, too I don't have the long CB plates, but was thinking I might like to have them for cutting border dies. We will see what he can find!
Old 12-20-2011, 03:05 AM   #110
Glitter Guru

I have tried everything suggested here on this thread with the Snowflake Lace Cut-Up, and I still can't get it to cut. Any further suggestions?
Old 12-20-2011, 07:05 AM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWill795 View Post
I have tried everything suggested here on this thread with the Snowflake Lace Cut-Up, and I still can't get it to cut. Any further suggestions?
Have you tried using the Cuttle hug? It really works like a charm when nothing else does.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:09 AM   #112

I think I saw that when some people make their sandwich with the Cuttle Hug they put it under the B plate???? I use mine directly under the paper - so it's A, B, Cuttle Hug, cardstock, die, C plate. Works for me ... maybe for you Jessica???
Old 12-20-2011, 12:41 PM   #113

If you don't have the Cuttle Hug, Jessica, you may want to put several shims (you have to judge how many) in your machine and place your die and paper to the side when you run it through.

The rollers in the center of your machine may be wider, so you may get more pressure on the die by putting it off center where the rollers don't get as much use.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:50 PM   #114
Matboard Maniac

I want to thank everyone for all the great tips for cutting my snowflake die. I got myself a new cuttlebug and now the die cuts without any problems---thanks. Oh yes I used the sandwich suggested on the Cat's Pajamas web site and ran it through twice.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:17 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarnc View Post
I want to thank everyone for all the great tips for cutting my snowflake die. I got myself a new cuttlebug and now the die cuts without any problems---thanks. Oh yes I used the sandwich suggested on the Cat's Pajamas web site and ran it through twice.
AWESOME!
Old 01-16-2012, 04:55 PM   #116
Stazon Splitcoast

Default egg/basket question

Can I separate the two dies? Are there any pros or cons? I see myself cutting out lots of eggs. Thoughts?

Creativity takes courage.
--Henri Matisse
Old 01-16-2012, 05:12 PM   #117

I definitely separated mine! It's much easier to do the eggs separately. I even took a pair or wire cutters and made sure the egg didn't have little bits of metal where they connected, that way I can emboss the egg shape too! It looks preetty cute!
Old 01-17-2012, 12:56 PM   #118
Insane Embellisher

Got some new plates, and the Cuttlehug at the craft store last week. Also got my new floral doily die from TCP, gosh I love that thing! Found with the Cuttlehug and rocking it through the rollers a few times, I get a perfect cut- EVERY time! What I mean by rocking is, I roll it through, so the die has gone all the way through the rollers, but not so far that the whole "sandwich" pops out, then I roll it backwards & forwards again a few times. This way I don't have to keep checking to make sure it's aligned properly. And it's quick! before I was running the whole thing through multiple times, so I wanted to share here in case any of you are doing the same thing. have a great day!
Old 01-17-2012, 01:03 PM   #119

Very cool Noelle!! I NEED to get new plates!! My C plate is going to totally break in 2 any time now - it's about 2/3 cracked. EEK!!

I know I am totally loving that Floral Doily die and I also cannot seem to stop using the Queen of Hearts die - love that!!
Old 01-17-2012, 01:13 PM   #120

Some have you have asked for hints on cutting highly detailed dies and I found this great video created by Cheery Lynn Designs that I thought might help.

It's got a couple of awesome tips in there that I didn't know. Check it out. It might help.

Last edited by Miss Meowy; 01-20-2012 at 12:42 PM..