Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2011, 08:39 AM   #41
Member Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelfryBat View Post
How do you gals deal with the 'embossing' that well loved and used cutting pads leave on the paper? I've tried running two pieces of paper through my Sizzix but I hate throwing that extra one away.
Yeah. That "embossing" look irks me. I put a piece of cardstock between the piece of paper I want to cut and the cutting plate. My cutting place is really chewed up and just a little of the "embossing" shows up.

I don't throw that extra cut piece away, though. You never know what you can use it for.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 05-12-2011, 08:51 AM   #42
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Hi all...

I had that same question about what to do when your cutting surface gets so "chewed up". I hate when those little marks show up on my cut out. Thankfully, it's usually the back of my paper.

I am so loving all of these great ideas! With the waxed paper, do you just rub the die or do you lay the sheet between the die and the paper you're cutting?

As for storage, mine's still a work in progress. For now, I'm using some clear CD envelopes in a flip top box. I'll add the photo here. I'm not 100% happy with this and was thinking I might go for a large magnetic surface so that I can see them all. I think Jenny P had this kinda thing going on.
Attached Thumbnails
cutups-storage.jpg  
Old 05-12-2011, 10:37 AM   #43
Cardstock Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by adctd2stamping View Post
The 'embossing' that you speak of here, BelfryBat----only shows on the backside of my paper. I place the paper down with the right side up , then place my die- cutting edge down, then the remaining sandwich recipe and voila! the backside receives that dreaded 'embossing'.
Hmmm, mine generally goes all the way through; although, I have often thought that maybe my sandwich was too thick.

My cutting pad is actually bowed in the middle and no longer lays flat. Maybe I should ask if that's normal?

I could just invest in a new pad but what sort of craziness is that?
Old 05-12-2011, 11:00 AM   #44
Member Company

Quote:
Hmmm, mine generally goes all the way through; although, I have often thought that maybe my sandwich was too thick.

My cutting pad is actually bowed in the middle and no longer lays flat. Maybe I should ask if that's normal?

The bowing is normal.

It sound as if all the plates are used as "cutting" plates. If you can, make sure that you designate a "cutting" plate. The cutting plate should be the plate that receives the blade when it cuts. Try to make sure the plate that does not receive the blades stays uncut and smooth.

If that "embossing" goes all the way through to the smooth plate, then I definitely think you need new plate.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:43 AM   #45
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Yup, I don't like those marks you get from the plates either! I definitely keep 1 plate designated to always be on the top of the sandwich so it's nice and clean. And when it bows I just flip it over and start bowing on the other side! Maybe this weekend I can get out and try some of these ideas!!
Old 05-12-2011, 05:06 PM   #46
Member Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmasse View Post
Maybe this weekend I can get out and try some of these ideas!!
I know. There are a couple of them that I have to try.
Old 05-12-2011, 09:02 PM   #47
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Yup, I don't like those marks you get from the plates either! I definitely keep 1 plate designated to always be on the top of the sandwich so it's nice and clean. And when it bows I just flip it over and start bowing on the other side! Maybe this weekend I can get out and try some of these ideas!!
I have a 'top' and 'bottom' plate as well...and I keep flipping the 'bottom' plate over every now and then to prevent the bowing from getting out of hand...if the plate is too bowed, things like felt/ fabric don't seem to get as clean a cut. And as others have mentioned, in regards to the yucky scratchy embossing, always make sure to put the 'right' side of your paper facing the cutting edge of the die. I also have a magnetic picture frame that I store my dies on- I need to see what I have or two things tend to happen: 1) I repeat buy (I know- shameful); or 2) I just don't use it.....
Thanks for listening to my late night ponderings Sweet dreams kitty kats!!
Old 05-13-2011, 07:46 AM   #48
Member Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by leigh obrien View Post
I am so loving all of these great ideas! With the waxed paper, do you just rub the die or do you lay the sheet between the die and the paper you're cutting?
Has anyone tried laying the sheet of waxed paper between the die and the paper? I had a customer that mentioned that she did that, but I haven't had a chance to try it.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:01 AM   #49
Polyshrink Goddess

MY 'B' plate that I used on the top always had all the die cut marks on it and bowed something fierce. Then it hit me. Use the 'C' plate on top...and let me tell you this was the best thing that I ever did. That 'C' plate being thicker does not bow and it does not get any cuts in it!!!! Here's my sandwich NOW 'B' plate with tons of cut marks, paper right side up, die (which ever maker) with cut side down, 'C' plate and turn the handle.

If you do not like the cut marks on the back side of your die cut then just place a piece of plain copy paper right on top of the 'B' plate. I save all paper that comes through on the fax machine and cut it into quarters for just that purpose...o, and to take notes or messages! Recycling!!!!!

The wax paper looks like a great idea...so many times those dies just don't want to part with the paper!!! Thank you for that hint.....
My SCS Gallery
Old 05-13-2011, 02:43 PM   #50
Watercolor Wizard

Default Works for Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Meowy View Post
Has anyone tried laying the sheet of waxed paper between the die and the paper? I had a customer that mentioned that she did that, but I haven't had a chance to try it.
Hi, there! I use this technique all the time - It works for me! especially on all of the intricate dies with the small/thin details. It helps the removal from the die...with the intricate dies I will often have to free the paper/wax paper by poking from behind the die with my tweezers or some other small pointed tool (even a toothpick) as long as it doesn't pierce the paper. I don't like to just pull the die out without loosening it because it can tear but the wax paper helps that.

Good Luck!
Old 05-14-2011, 06:00 PM   #51
Member Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosMom View Post
Hi, there! I use this technique all the time - It works for me! especially on all of the intricate dies with the small/thin details. It helps the removal from the die...with the intricate dies I will often have to free the paper/wax paper by poking from behind the die with my tweezers or some other small pointed tool (even a toothpick) as long as it doesn't pierce the paper. I don't like to just pull the die out without loosening it because it can tear but the wax paper helps that.

Good Luck!
Wow! I'm so glad to hear this works. Now I have to get some waxed paper
Old 05-14-2011, 08:30 PM   #52
Embossing Fanatic

I use waxed paper almost every time I use my diecutter. It is so easy to separate paper from the die if I layer a piece of waxed paper on the die before my paper to be cut.
An added "plus" to this is that you will end up with a waxed paper cutout duplicating your die that works well with most resist techniques.

SCS Fan Club Member
Design Teams: Marks Finest Papers
Stamp A Mania
Sweet Pea Stamps

Last edited by SodakStamper; 05-14-2011 at 08:32 PM.. Reason: messed up sig
Old 05-15-2011, 01:10 PM   #53
Member Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by SodakStamper View Post
An added "plus" to this is that you will end up with a waxed paper cutout duplicating your die that works well with most resist techniques.
That's a great plus.
Old 05-15-2011, 02:09 PM   #54
Rubber Obsessor

Default Bowed Cutting plates

Unfortunately this is normal however there are 2 things you can do to reduce the bowing. First is to alternate the side facing the rollers each time you use the plate. This wont stop the bowing but will slow it down.
The other thing you can try is to place the cutting plate in an oven at about 150 degrees Celsius (300F) and then after a time (I think it took about 10-15 minutes for the plates to become thoroughly warm) remove the plate and place a very heavy weight on it like a brick or two until it cools. You may need to repeat a few times. It wont get rid of all your problems but it slows down the replacement time. (Most plastics are formed through heat and thus can be manipulated through heat! - Don't increase the heat necessarily - just the time!)

As I am writing, I have thought that you could probably sand the cut surfaces of your plates to reduce the impact of the 'undesirable embossing'. I haven't attempted this but since I work in a plastic manufacturing industry, I can't see why this wouldn't work. (Make sure to mask your nose and eyes before attempting this esp if using an electric sander!)

Quote:
.....My cutting pad is actually bowed in the middle and no longer lays flat. Maybe I should ask if that's normal?
Old 05-16-2011, 09:24 AM   #55
Member Company

All great ideas, Michelle. Thank you for the tips from the trade.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:52 PM   #56

Well I didn't get out to the home store this weekend so I didn't get to try anything YET, but . . .

I did stop by the local GW (Goodwill) and picked up a bunch of glass candle holders and now have some swanky new holders for my Divine Twine!! I need a few more glass drawer pulls for the tops, but I LOVE how they look on my shelf!

Dies are next!
Old 05-17-2011, 08:19 AM   #57
Rubber Obsessor

Send a message via AIM to Clyndago

I would love to see a picture of your twine holders!

My little blog: http://lynda-marquez.blogspot.com
Old 05-18-2011, 12:52 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clyndago View Post
I would love to see a picture of your twine holders!
Ok, so you twisted my arm! They aren't quite done but here you go. See the one in the middle front - that's how they will look when I find the rest of my glass draw pulls (that one is from my great-grandparent's old farmhouse).

I bought the candle holders for $.99 each - I should have bought a few more, I have at least 1 more roll of Divine Twine to add and plan on getting all the colors!

Then I bought 1/2" dowels at the hardware store, measured each one and cut it just to the top of the Twine. Then the dowels were hot glued into the holders. They work great! You can unroll the Twine with no problem at all!

I should say, this wasn't my original idea - I found it on Pinterest and had to have them!
Attached Thumbnails
twine-holders.jpg  
Old 05-18-2011, 06:26 PM   #59
Forum Fanatic

Quote:
Ok, so you twisted my arm! They aren't quite done but here you go. See the one in the middle front - that's how they will look when I find the rest of my glass draw pulls (that one is from my great-grandparent's old farmhouse).

I bought the candle holders for $.99 each - I should have bought a few more, I have at least 1 more roll of Divine Twine to add and plan on getting all the colors!

Then I bought 1/2" dowels at the hardware store, measured each one and cut it just to the top of the Twine. Then the dowels were hot glued into the holders. They work great! You can unroll the Twine with no problem at all!

I should say, this wasn't my original idea - I found it on Pinterest and had to have them!
Those are the classiest twine holders I've ever seen! Beautiful!

My gallery is here should you care to look!
Old 05-19-2011, 08:20 AM   #60
Rubber Obsessor

Send a message via AIM to Clyndago

Quote:

WOW! Thank you for sharing...these are fantastic! Bet they are lovely in your crafting space!

My little blog: http://lynda-marquez.blogspot.com
Old 05-19-2011, 07:56 PM   #61
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Could I ask where you got your twine like that (on spools) I only have seen it in 10 or 15 yard lengths. Thanks
Old 05-19-2011, 08:17 PM   #62
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassilass View Post
Could I ask where you got your twine like that (on spools) I only have seen it in 10 or 15 yard lengths. Thanks
I can sure answer your question for Julie Sassilass! You can find these 240yd spools of Divine Twine at The Cat's Pajamas website, and let me tell ya- this twine truly lives up to it's name!!! It's divine!!
Here is the link:
Welcome to the Cat's Pajamas

Happy shopping
Old 05-19-2011, 08:33 PM   #63
Cardstock Collector

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennypete View Post
I can sure answer your question for Julie Sassilass! You can find these 240yd spools of Divine Twine at The Cat's Pajamas website, and let me tell ya- this twine truly lives up to it's name!!! It's divine!!
Here is the link:
Welcome to the Cat's Pajamas

Happy shopping
Thank you so much for the quick response. I'll have to get on that asap.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:01 AM   #64

Thanks Jenny!! You'll love it Sassilass - so many yummy colors!!
Old 05-20-2011, 01:20 PM   #65
Member Company

Here's another tip.

When I'm die cutting shapes with embossed fold lines, like the lines in the Easy Rosette, I make sure that the lightest side of the paper is placed against the die, when I cut it.

That makes the fold lines emboss on the lighter side, and easier to see. It's easier to fold on something that you can see.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:24 PM   #66

Just out of curiosity, which of the TCP Cut-Ups dies is your favorite? Can you chose one? I'm not sure I could . . . but I sure do love that swanky Grass! (oh, and the Easy Rosettes and the Pinwheels . . . and and and . . .!)
Old 05-31-2011, 08:53 AM   #67

Just wanted to bump this up . . . cause I want to know what your favorite die is!! Or do you have a die wish? (now that sounded funny didn't it?? - lol)
Old 06-01-2011, 02:04 PM   #68
Member Company

Sorry to cross post this, but once you get a chance, take a peek at our June Project of the Month. Leigh O'Brien designed a cute folder to store our CutUps dies.

Check it out and download the free instructions.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:17 AM   #69

This is such a cool idea for storing dies Leigh!! I love that they are all together and are totally portable
Old 06-05-2011, 11:04 AM   #70
Member Company

Default A new way to use your Easy Rosette

I was over at my LSS, Mainely Stamping, for a cardmaking event where they were using the Easy Rosette CutUps Die.
And they made the rosette a little differently than I do. So I thought I'd share.

Currently, you make the rosette so that the end wedges overlap and the ends show up in the "mountain" of the rosette. They made it so that the end shows up in the "valley", where it's not as noticeable. It's all in the folding and the taping.

Here's what they did when they folded:
1) Place the rosette with the "right side" of the paper up.
2) Make sure the first fold is a "mountain" fold in the "right side"
3) Continue folding until the end. Do not attach the second rosette.
4) Take the second rosette and Repeat steps 1-3
5) Then overlap the two wedges at both ends. "Spooning" them, if you will.
6) Tape where the rosettes overlap.

It makes the cut edges almost invisible. Can you see them on this card?
Attached Thumbnails
100_1466.jpg  
Old 06-06-2011, 04:46 AM   #71

Quote:
I was over at my LSS, Mainely Stamping, for a cardmaking event where they were using the Easy Rosette CutUps Die.
And they made the rosette a little differently than I do. So I thought I'd share.

Currently, you make the rosette so that the end wedges overlap and the ends show up in the "mountain" of the rosette. They made it so that the end shows up in the "valley", where it's not as noticeable. It's all in the folding and the taping.

Here's what they did when they folded:
1) Place the rosette with the "right side" of the paper up.
2) Make sure the first fold is a "mountain" fold in the "right side"
3) Continue folding until the end. Do not attach the second rosette.
4) Take the second rosette and Repeat steps 1-3
5) Then overlap the two wedges at both ends. "Spooning" them, if you will.
6) Tape where the rosettes overlap.

It makes the cut edges almost invisible. Can you see them on this card?
Great tip Alma!! And your card is fabulous by the way!!
Old 06-06-2011, 11:02 AM   #72
Member Company

Thanks, Julie. I always learn something when I go to my LSS. I'm so glad that I still have one within driving distance.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:40 AM   #73
Insane Embellisher

TFS Alma!!! Good to know, cuz seeing the cut lines stresses me out somethin' fierce! I am gonna try that for sure And Julie- I think my fav cutup die is also the grass- I love the funky-ness of it..it's not your typical grass die...It's grass with sass!!
Old 06-08-2011, 05:54 PM   #74
Member Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennypete View Post
TFS Alma!!! Good to know, cuz seeing the cut lines stresses me out somethin' fierce! I am gonna try that for sure And Julie- I think my fav cutup die is also the grass- I love the funky-ness of it..it's not your typical grass die...It's grass with sass!!
Can I say that my favorite one is one that hasn't come out, yet? Once you see it, you'll know what I mean.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:15 PM   #75

Quote:
Can I say that my favorite one is one that hasn't come out, yet? Once you see it, you'll know what I mean.
Is it in this next release Alma??
Old 06-08-2011, 07:27 PM   #76
Member Company

Quote:
Is it in this next release Alma??
Yuppers. My favorite is one of the dies in the upcoming release. After that, it's the rosette one. I can't help it. They are both so pretty.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:00 AM   #77
Insane Embellisher

Yep- the new release dies are going to blow your socks off people!!! I am soooo excited, it kills me to have them and not be able to share them!! Hurry up new release- get here soon There are people out there whose lives will greatly improve with new stamps and dies.....amen
Old 06-09-2011, 06:02 AM   #78
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

TEASE!!!!!!

My Gallery |My Blog | My Store
Love Splitcoast?
Help us love our volunteers by shopping at Amazon

Old 06-11-2011, 04:21 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Understandblue View Post
TEASE!!!!!!
Oh we've only begun to tease!!
Old 11-17-2011, 07:14 AM   #80

Just thought it might be time to revive this thread and get some ideas flowing! Have your checked out the sneak peek of new products in this month's Dirty Dozen gallery? If you are a Fan Club member you got a peek at a new stamp set, a new color of Seam Binding AND a fabulous new Snowflake Lace Paper CutUps die!! (and if you can't see it, never fear - Sneaky Peek week starts Tuesday!!)

The Snowflake Lace Paper die is so beautiful! All the little cut-out snowflakes make great embellishments too! But since it is a large die, the question is likely to arise, how do you get intricate dies, such and doilies and other lacy dies to cut out all the areas? Here are few tricks I've picked up that really seem to work!

First, I have a Cuttlebug (which is a bit loose) so for intricate dies I usually use the metal shim you can purchase for this purpose (you might want to wait for Release Day - just saying . . .).
  1. For big dies like this one, I run it through (usually with a shim) once or twice.
  2. Then I carefully pick up the die and paper (trying to keep the paper in the die which usually isn't hard) and rotate the die a bit - maybe move it over to a different spot on the cutting plate and run it through again. (I haven't tried it, but I can imagine that painters tape might help with this step)
  3. I do this maybe a couple times checking the backside and rotating it to see when it's completely cut.
  4. Sometimes you can even position the die half-off the metal shim and run it through which seems to put more pressure on the half on the shim

This has worked well for me and I don't seem get those uncut pieces portions of dies anymore. This has worked especially well when cutting Acetate & shrink plastic (which a lot of people have asked about!)! After using this method, the pieces pop right out!!

So what other tips do you guys have - what experience do you have with large dies or dies with lots of little pieces?