Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree88Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2013, 06:57 PM   #361
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen Curry View Post
Linda, which program do you use to crop and watermark your photos? You should be able to size them there. I use a free online editing program called Pixlr and it's pretty easy there. I have PSE, but using it is way beyond me. I tried to learn it, but just couldn't get it.
Kathy I use adobe photoshop but I don't know how to resize with it. I have tried but it doesn't work for me. I'll try yours and see if I can figure it out if not I will try Heathers.

Thanks Heather, going to try both of these.

Lindas Stamping Blog
Corrosive Challenge Blog DT
The Outlawz Alccohol Marker Challenge DT
Fan Club Member
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-20-2013, 06:59 PM   #362
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't know what is up with Germany and the US mail. I mailed Imke a birthday and Christmas card together on Dec. 10. She just got it this weekend. That is the longest it has ever taken anything to get to Germany. Imke always gets hers much faster than Canada. At least she finally got it. So happy about that.

Lindas Stamping Blog
Fan Club Member
Old 01-20-2013, 07:16 PM   #363
Stazon Splitcoast

Angela we are Praying for Ivy.

Lindas Stamping Blog
Fan Club Member
Old 01-20-2013, 07:22 PM   #364
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymama View Post
Catching up here....

Glad the weekend at work is over. It seems I have what some of the others have had; I'm on to the nasty sore throat phase. One of my friends told me she had it for 10 days.

Lynne, I am sorry about your bird.

I was amazed when Bridget PM'd me last night to tell me I was the featured stamper.

I am freaking out here.... Ivy had volleyball practice today and they were practicing rolling; she told me she had a bump on her back and a bruise. Of course I wanted to see, but I got way more than I bargained for. She has a gross curvature of her spine...I feel sick with panic thinking about it now. I didn't say anything to her, but I went up to her room to check again and she wanted to know why. I know it doesn't help to worry because there is nothing I can do about it tonight. I'll be calling her Dr. first thing in the morning. I just Googled and read a bit about this and I feel even sicker.... This is so strange because one of my friends at work has a stepdaughter who will be having surgery for this very same thing. Hers just seemed to appear out of nowhere; we were talking about how the schools don't screen for this. I am wondering how on earth this wasn't noticed at her physical?

Oh Angela this sounds so scary! I'll pray for you and Ivy! I know you are a nervous wreck. I hope everything checks out okay! Hope you aren't getting that crud everyone else has! Get well soon.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:16 PM   #365
Glitter Guru

Lynne- Year ago i also had a budgie. He was very tame. I could easily take him in hand. He's always come to me. When we ate, he sat down on the plate and has picked in the spaghetti No kidding, but that was too much for me LOL . At dinner we always have him locked up in his cage. He could not even say his name "Putzi" and "Hello".

Angela- Thinking of you and Ivy. I hope it's not as bad as you think.

Linda- I wonder myself why it takes so long. I do not think it's up to the German post. Perhaps at customs ? The package from Pat and Vickie arrived very quickly. Perhaps it is because where it is sent (which state) ? I donīt know. It has arrived and I was very happy about it !! THANKS my friend !!

Kathy- I hope for you it will remain at the idea (the doggy thing)

Donelda- So good to see you here. I saw all the scrapbook creations on your blog- just great !
Old 01-21-2013, 04:40 AM   #366
Stazon Splitcoast

Good morning.

We have an appt. for Ivy including X-Rays. Of course, she doesn't want to go... she's afraid she will get an injection...tears about this. I don't understand how someone who is so competitive/tough athletically can be so weinie about an injection. A friend that works at the office said a lot of teen girls are like this...some faint. Who knew? She also doesn't want to miss school. She said this morning that she has had back pain for the past year...but she never told us.

Warning: This is not for the faint of heart! Davis loves jokes; currently he is into the "Why did the chicken cross the road?" variety. This morning he asked me, "Why didn't the toilet paper cross the road?" Of course I had no clue.... "It was caught in the crack!" Leave it to Davis to lighten the mood! LOL

Gosh darn it, I have enough on my plate this morning but I have to go take a cardiac rhythm interpretation test. Ack!

Just Monkeying Around....
I design for: Bugaboo, Creative Card Crew, Doodle Pantry, Flat Friends, From the Heart Stamps, Tuesday Morning Sketches, Ruby's Rainbow
Old 01-21-2013, 06:24 AM   #367
Watercolor Wizard

Angela--wow...thoughts and prayers for Ivy huh? My kids would always have their spines check (at school--which I thought was a weird place) and at their med appts. Shane has some back issues--and feels it after a good work out sometimes--but it doesn't go out like mine...I was always told (because I am so tall and while growing up so fast) I would have back issues?! Something like that--like it was a given!

Shane goes back to school today-he lost his dorm key ($125 to replace) he and Tom will schlep all his things (suitcases, bedding, TV, work out stuff) back up to his room--then they hit the book store for books! It's like the first day of school all over again--we're waiting on his computer (dropped it Friday morning for an update virus thingy and a overhaul ck up)...I need to run to Walmart for some toiletries he JUST told me he needs--isn't it amazing that were such good parents? Last minute Lucy over here--I guess if you don't ask it doesn't need to be done? I was on him the entire vacation to get his computer done--Oh well busy morning here..off n running!

www.quillingfancy.blogspot.com
Old 01-21-2013, 06:27 AM   #368
Watercolor Wizard

I made my first cowl neck scarf out of the largest yellow round Knifty Knitter loom last night--well finished it last night and its cute...kinda looks like a tube top from the 80s? But you pop it on over your head--no dangly scarf length to get in your way--covers your neck and the wearer can even pull it up over the back of their head! The next one is for my niece and I will make it longer--in a cream color for her...
Attached Thumbnails
cowl-neck-scarf-001.jpg   cowl-neck-scarf-002.jpg  

Old 01-21-2013, 06:43 AM   #369
Hardware Hotshot

Relaxing here this morning. I love 3-day weekends. I'm hoping to FINALLY get my craft room all finished (or at least finished enough to be able to DO something).

Angela: I'm sorry to hear about Ivy's back. Unfortunately, it kind of runs in my family. I have a slight curvature and both my cousins had serious problems. Melanie chose to have the surgery and was incapacitated for months afterwards (remember this was in the 70s ... I'm sure that the surgery has evolved SIGNIFICANTLY) She wore a back brace (think Joan Cusack in 16 candles) BUT she has no problems now, hikes and runs. My cousin Mike did NOT have the surgery and while he does have back problems, he lives a full life and is very happy. I know that this is extremely stressful for you but try to breathe. The medical world is amazing and I have confidence that they will have a solution for Ivy.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:31 AM   #370
Stazon Splitcoast

Imke, I'll bet it is customs especially in December when mail is hectic anyway.

Lindas Stamping Blog
Fan Club Member
Old 01-21-2013, 09:55 AM   #371
Glitter Guru

Susanne- The bright colors are great ! I knit even at my scarf, but the cowl neck scarf are again in fashion (also here in Germany). My SIL made them for the kids . Simply pull over your head and you're done. Perfect !

Linda - That it will be ! Denise's package is also on the way. I give immediately a note when it arrives.

Joanna- Good luck for unpack and I hope you'll soon be creative.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:26 AM   #372
Stazon Splitcoast

Your scarf is beautiful Susanne.

Lindas Stamping Blog
Fan Club Member
Old 01-21-2013, 10:50 AM   #373
Hardware Hotshot

Susie-Q: I have never seen such a thing as your tube-toppy thingee. I would LOVE a picture of you modeling it; it looks kinda cool. I gotta say that whenever I think of tube tops I think disco balls, glitter shorts, roller skates and start humming "Dancing Queen!"

I'm making Oatmeal Scotchies for the boys today. We voted and they chose to have a PJ day where I let them watch TV and play video games in their jammies (which normally doesn't happen). I wanted to go see Wreck-it Ralph and play Miniature Golf but got out-voted. Oh well, this is cheaper.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:30 PM   #374
Die Cut Diva

Susanne,

Your scarf is very pretty.

Angela,

My thoughts are with you and Ivy.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:33 PM   #375
Stazon Splitcoast

Awesome scarf/tube top, Susanne! I am a fan of multi-purpose items! I really need to break out the nifty knitter....

Thank you all for the good wishes. It is confirmed, Ivy has scoliosis. Next step is a visit to orthopedics for X-Rays and measurements, then neurosurgery if necessary. The Dr. didn't want to tell me how bad it was, but I can see and I know it is not good. It really is a blessing that she hurt herself at volleyball yesterday because otherwise I would not have figured this out. There is quite a wait to get in with the orthopod, but he is a friend and as a favor to me in the past he has gotten my husband and brother in almost immediately. I didn't even have the G.P.'s office make the appt., I went over myself. His nurse was at lunch, so I am waiting to hear back.

Sounds like a fun day for the boys, Joanna.

I design for: Bugaboo, Creative Card Crew, Doodle Pantry, Flat Friends, From the Heart Stamps, Tuesday Morning Sketches, Ruby's Rainbow
Old 01-21-2013, 12:40 PM   #376
Die Cut Diva

Imke,

Your budgie sounds like he was a lot of fun, LOL.

By hand-trained, I basically mean that my bird tolerates and even likes being handled. He does not attempt to bite, and doesn't make an effort to get away from me. He actually likes being petted, (no, I can't read his little birdie brain, LOL) whereas many birds won't enjoy or tolerate this. Usually you have to start with the hand-training when they are very young. And he is apparently about 3 months old.

I would love to post a picture of him, but I will have to look up the instructions again for how to upload a photo. Technology and I don't do so well together, LOL.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:26 PM   #377
Hardware Hotshot

Awww, Angela. I'm sorry to hear!! How is Ivy reacting to this now that it's been confirmed?

Lynne, would love to see a picture of the bird if you can figure it out!
Old 01-21-2013, 02:55 PM   #378
Stazon Splitcoast

Angela, will continue to keep Ivy and your family in prayer. I am going to google it as I am not sure what that disease is but know it is serious. Thinking of you!!

Lindas Stamping Blog
Fan Club Member
Old 01-21-2013, 03:25 PM   #379
Watercolor Wizard

Oh my Angela--poor Ivy. I hope she doesn't need any invasive surgery--I hope, I hope, I hope! I am just surprised they have not found it sooner--is this normal that it just pops out later in a child's life?

I just remember all three of my kids having a nurse check their backs all through grade school--Kala was embarrassed since the girls had to lift up the back of their shirts (separate from the boys) but still--she used to dread it! I asked the principal why at school--we all get a head to toe check on things at the pediatricians office? She said...some kids don't!

Old 01-21-2013, 03:27 PM   #380
Watercolor Wizard

Queenie--need to clarify..this is a scarf NOT a tube top! haha That would be one stylin' disco tube top if it were! Um...for a really skinny person (measures 12" across)..

Angela--You should whip out the Knifter <--abbreviation for Knifty-Knitter...it only takes a few hours to whip up a hat, scarf or cowl scarf aka tube top! Hours--not days!

Old 01-21-2013, 03:32 PM   #381
Watercolor Wizard

Well, amongst all the the hussle and bussel today to get Shane off to school--he's still here! His computer was ready by 4:30--and then, I happened to be chatting with Farmer Sharon and she mentions ALL THE SNOW headed our way?!!! HUH? None of us watched or listened to the weather--we have 6-11" coming by morning here--it just started snowing! Tom will drive Shane back to school tomorrow night--so, at least he's all packed and ready to roll tomorrow! We still have not found his dorm room key!

Old 01-21-2013, 04:10 PM   #382
Die Cut Diva

Angela I will say a little prayer for Ivy and hope the treatment won't be too bad.

I uploaded three of my calendar pages in my gallery...I am very happy with all of them. Graphic 45 papers are wonderful and practically jumped on the pages for me.

Susie-Q you get to hug and squeeze on that boy for an extra day!!! Hope the storm isn't too bad.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:42 PM   #383
Hardware Hotshot

Suser: I know ... I was just teasing you sweetie!

I remember getting spine checks too. When I taught (in the poor section of town) those checks also included lice checks and flouride (sp?) wash too. For some of my kiddos, those monthly checks were as close to a family doctor/dentist as they got. I always got the heebie-jeebies on lice check day. Blah!
Old 01-21-2013, 10:25 PM   #384
Glitter Guru

Angela- I also have scoliosis. I am now 38 and did not need surgery. Certainly I have back problems that come of it. If it's really bad, I get from time to physiotherapy and massages. Certainly, there are several types. I cross my fingers that Ivy not have a bad form of it.

Pat- Beautiful calender pages. Love the colors of March !

Susanne- I hope you find the door key ! It would be too bad about the money.

Lynne- Budgies are really fun if they are tame. Good luck !
Old 01-22-2013, 06:45 AM   #385
Stazon Splitcoast

Angela sending prayers for you and Ivy that it will be a mild case and can be treated. It never helps when you are in the medical field and know all the scary information. Think positive. (((hugs)))
Old 01-22-2013, 06:49 AM   #386
Glitter Guru

Angela, thinking of you and Ivy, keep us posted.

{{{{{hugs}}}}}
Old 01-22-2013, 06:55 AM   #387
Glitter Guru

That sounds really neat Lynne, I didn't realize you could train the birds early to be so good around people (just assumed it depended on their personality). Like I said I have no bird knowledge, so it's really cool to hear more.

Cool scarf Suzanne! LOL, about it doubling as a tube top. I remember those! Hope Shane finds that key, check all pockets, lol! That is a big fee for a replacement.

Ewww, Joanna, I remember the lice checks from being in school. Makes me itchy thinking about it, lol!

Going to go check out your calendar pages Pat.

Hope everyone has a good day. I've got two here with hacking coughs, so we are laying low. Had a dusting of snow through the night, but nothing to get excited over.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #388
Stazon Splitcoast

I finally used a kit! The kit is from Angela. I sometimes don't remember who they are from but her name was on the bag of this one. It is on my blog and in my gallery. It was such a fun image. Love this Mo Manning image.

Angela, praying that Ivy has a mild case of this disease. I read all I could find because I wanted to know what you were dealing with.

Pat, Debra and I both want that paper and calendar kit. Going shopping for it later after I run to twon and pay a couple of bills.

Lindas Stamping Blog
Fan Club Member
Old 01-22-2013, 12:39 PM   #389
Stazon Splitcoast

Linda, your card is lovely!

Thank you all for your support regarding Ivy. She is doing so-so...I think she is in a bit of denial right now. She says she is not going back to the Dr.... She seems to think that if she doesn't turn in the note (to get her out of school) to the office that I can't come and take her! As we know, that is not true. When the Dr. mentioned surgery yesterday, she acted like she was going to faint. At this point, everything is uncertain. I was thinking today that life isn't about falling down, it's whether you get back up. I really hate that she has to learn this lesson at the young age of 14. That said, it is what it is and we will deal with it.

I remember getting my spine checked (no lice checks though....) in school as well. From what I read, that stopped in 2004. Somewhere along the line, I need to talk to the school about the importance of doing this. I will volunteer my time if that's what it takes to make it happen.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:48 PM   #390
Hardware Hotshot

The problem with schools now days is that most schools here don't have a nurse on the campus all the time anymore because a lack of funding. So a lot of the programs WE had as kids don't exist anymore. It's too bad.
Old 01-22-2013, 02:52 PM   #391
Hardware Hotshot

Tracie:
Could you put a link to Heather's ever so helpful list of likes on the first page of the swap. I keep referencing it but then have to remember what page it's on. I have NO memory. It would just help me. Thanks man!
Old 01-22-2013, 04:43 PM   #392
SCS BRAK Coordinator

Joanna - Thanks for the suggestion. I have posted it on the first page everyone's link. Thanks to Heather for doing that. Made it easier

Angela - Thinking of you and Ivy. Such news for a 14 year old but you have raised one terrific girl and she will handle it like a champ. Let us know the news when you go to the ortho dr. How did you do on rhythm test? I give those daily. Such fun.

Has anyone seen anything new from CHA that they just have to have?

Design Team for Two Paper Divas and Twisted Tuesday Challenges and
Meljen's Designs
Old 01-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #393
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenbee Jo View Post
Suser: I know ... I was just teasing you sweetie!

I remember getting spine checks too. When I taught (in the poor section of town) those checks also included lice checks and flouride (sp?) wash too. For some of my kiddos, those monthly checks were as close to a family doctor/dentist as they got. I always got the heebie-jeebies on lice check day. Blah!
EEEK...to the above!

I know you wasah teasin' me...but imagine that as a tube top...can we say "itchy" and "see-thru" eeek!

Old 01-22-2013, 06:21 PM   #394
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by taclary View Post
Joanna - Thanks for the suggestion. I have posted it on the first page everyone's link. Thanks to Heather for doing that. Made it easier

Angela - Thinking of you and Ivy. Such news for a 14 year old but you have raised one terrific girl and she will handle it like a champ. Let us know the news when you go to the ortho dr. How did you do on rhythm test? I give those daily. Such fun.

Has anyone seen anything new from CHA that they just have to have?
The above question...is this what they mean when describing a "loaded question"? ha-ha...Tracie I keep seeing things and have to step away from my computer--Just today, sitting in my inbox was the entire showroom of IOS stamps @ CHA! I was perusing through thinking...Oh if I were there I'd buy this and that and hey that's cute too...Do they actually sell their goods to common folks walking the CHA event--like after the retail market places orders-do the open the event up to the public? Or do they pack it up and bring it on home?

Old 01-22-2013, 06:27 PM   #395
Watercolor Wizard

QueenieJO and Angela--at my kids grade school (small Catholic grade school) they would not accept any children into the school who required any nurse on staff--kids with Asthma-could not go to our school because no one was trained to take care of them if need be! No special needs (wheelchairs) because there were 2 floors in the school (very old building)! They eventually made a handicap parking space and installed one of those chair lifts from the outside parking lot to the cafeteria --but that's as far as they can go-historic building with asbestos in the walls--! (at least that's what they told the parents) This chair was not readily accessible --required manpower, a special key that was put in the principals office...no one knew how to use the chair?! Crazy huh?

Old 01-22-2013, 07:53 PM   #396
Hardware Hotshot

Angela, does this have any impact on Ivy's ability to continue in the sports she loves?

Tracy, I'm not sure if you saw my comment about the MFT die, or maybe I missed your response. I'll send you a message.

I haven't seen much from CHA yet. I have seen that calendar from Graphic 45 and it's tempting, but I have a bazillion other calendar "things" I want to do and figure I better do those first. I am still thinking about those Simon Says Stamp card kits...did anyone end up signing up?
Old 01-23-2013, 05:38 AM   #397
Hardware Hotshot

I know what you mean about not having special needs children. One of my friends got angry when TJ's old school told her that her newly diagnosed diabetic son could no longer attend because they didn't want the liability. Sad.

I'm not even LOOKING at the new stuff from CHA, I'm sure that something will "call" to me otherwise

Imke, for some reason your birthday card came back to me. It was weird, there were no messages to me like wrong address or insufficient postage. It's almost as though they just made a mistake and delivered it to me instead of YOU. I'll repackage it and send it off again.

Heather: I'm sending your package off to you today too. I'm trying to be a bit organized since Canada/USA packages tend to linger at the border ... for-evah!
Old 01-23-2013, 09:12 AM   #398
Stazon Splitcoast

Joanna, one of the girls out for track is a diabetic. She wasn't feeling well; the coach sent her back to the school, alone, with a blood sugar in the 30's. I about came unglued! I had Ivy put extra snacks in her bag just in case the girl ever needed one and told her to call me if that ever happened again...I would come. Scary!

Tracie, the rhythm test.... It was really fun! NOT!!! LOL I work orthopedics/neurology...I am not, have never been, or never intend to be a cardiac nurse. I just am not interested...hard to learn stuff that doesn't interest you. We were not supposed to study...they wanted to see what we know, so they can focus education on what we don't. How did I do? I would say better than some, but not good.... I think a lot of education is in our future! This is what I don't get.... They just installed a central telemetry monitoring system...very pricey. You go online to print your strips, you can even use calipers online to do your measuring. So, if this can be done, why can't it tell you the rhythm as well? We do ECGs at the bedside and an interpretation comes out in less than a minute. Seems weird to me that they wouldn't just take it a step further.

Have not seen new CHA stuff, nor do I want to! My hands are over my eyes! LOL I am working on not buying new stuff (except for you ladies) and using what I have...I really want to dig into the wonderful kits I have...it's just so hard, because they are so pretty and I hate to break them up....

Ivy's fancy "tulip" wrappers came for the cupcakes today; the boxes and inserts should be here by this weekend.

Old 01-23-2013, 12:25 PM   #399
Stazon Splitcoast

Wow, Kathleen, I just saw that you won big at Bugaboo! Yay for you!

Old 01-23-2013, 02:13 PM   #400
Die Cut Diva

Linda there is a LSS about 45 minutes from here and she stocks a lot of Graphic 45 but most around here don't. My LSS ordered paper pads for me but they were in the fire. So most of what I have on got on the internet. Ellen Hutson I think. I bought two of the 8x8 pads, the sheet of stickers and two different sheets of tags. Also the 8x8 easel. That along with some of my embellisments was all I needed. I'm going to post a few more months this evening. I am really happy with it and everyone who sees it really likes it too. It's a little different I guess.

Hooray for Kathy!! You are one of the best cardmakers I know...and I know lots of good ones!! Congrats!!
Closed Thread