Splitcoaststampers

Splitcoaststampers (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/)
-   Cards (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/cards-f107/)
-   -   New & Open... Cards for Soldiers (http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/cards-f107/new-open-cards-soldiers-t564428.html)

Quilling_Queen 11-15-2012 01:45 PM

New & Open... Cards for Soldiers
 
Welcome to my first attempt at hosting a swap!

I am a member of a wonderful organization - Soldiers Angels - that support our current military, veterans and families of military.

This swap will be about giving back to the Soldiers via handmade cards that are blank inside, that they can send out for special occasions that their loved ones are having. They feel like they are still part of their lives when they are able to recognize special events.

There will be 4 catagorizes: Thinking of you, Birthday, Anniversary, and Just Because.


Description:Full Cards - 4 1/4x 5 1/2 - Please include at least 2 layers and 1 embellishment. Envelopes WILL be needed, so soldiers can send these cards out to friends or family

Quantity: 4+1 -- The +1 will be donated to the Soldiers Angels organization. If you wish to donate yours to the organization as well, please let me know.

Vendor Products: Non-Vendor Restrictions BUT due to restrictions of the military NO Glitter, feathers, or confetti

Due Date: February 15th, 2013 -- I will mail within 1 week of receiving all the swaps. If your swap is received after the due date, I may have to send them back to you.

Mailing: Place cards and envelopes in a large plastic baggie for waterproof purposes. Please write your real name, your SCS name and the swap name on a piece of paper or baggie for ID purposes.

Swap Return: Please include a Self Addressed Stamped envelope if you would like your cards returned to you. The amount of postage on you SASE should be the same amount used to mail to the hostess. Please include 2 additional stamps to insure enough postage to return swaps. Any additional postage will be returned. PLEASE send only stamps, not metered mail If you would like Priority, there is no need to send an envelope, just send $5.15 ($5.90 if you want Delivery Confirmation) and a Priority Self-Addressed Address label. If you are mailing from outside the U.S., please include $5.00 US dollars (or more for multiple spots) to cover the return postage, and I will return whatever is left over.

Prize for taking 1 spot in all 4 catagorizes, Thank you gift for anyone who donates all cards (make sure you PM me your address)

If you have any questions, please post or PM me.

Please mail to:
Heather Marshall
Cards for Soldiers Swap
PO Box 134
Etna, NY 13062

Thank you for joining my first swap! I look forward to getting my feet wet with your help!

Quilling_Queen 11-15-2012 01:47 PM

Swaps
 
Teal means address received for Thank You Gift for donating all cards AND prize for all 4 spots

Received

Thinking of You
1. Quilling_Queen (hostess) Donating all
2. Craf-T-Bear - Prize - all 4 spots - Donating All
3. animallover - Donating all - Thank you gift
4.ktfabian2 - Prize - all 4 spots & Donating All
5. Stamp Wizard - Prize - all 4 spots & Donating All
6. libreeder@aol.com
7. drop
8. kkowal4 - (Donating extras so Send swapped cards back to her)
9. drop
10. lois577 - Prize - all 4 spots & Donating All
11.StampinGoodDeeds - Donating all - Thank you gift
12. StampinGoodDeeds - Donating all - Thank you gift
13. Cherry LimeDonating all - Thank You Gift
14. Cherry LimeDonating all - Thank You Gift
15. SayStampsPlease - Prize - all 4 spots - Donating All


Birthday
1. Quilling_Queen (hostess)
2. Craf-T-Bear
3. animallover - Donating all - Thank you gift
4. ktfabian2
5. Stamp Wizard
6. Libreeder@aol.com
7. drop
8. drop
9. drop
10. kkowal4
11. drop
12. lois577
13. Cherry Lime
14. Cherry Lime
15. klb1082 - Prize - all 4 spots - Donating All
16. SayStampsPlease

Anniversary
1. Quilling_Queen (hostess)
2. Craf-T-Bear
3. animallover - Donating all - Thank you gift
4. ktfabian2
5. Stamp Wizard
6. drop
7. drop
8. lois577
9. klb1082
10. SayStampsPlease

Just Because
1. Quilling_Queen (hostess)
2. Craf-T-Bear
3. ktfabian2
4. Stamp Wizard
5. drop
6. kkowal4
7. drop
8. lois577
9. klb1082
10. SayStampsPlease

NEW Generic (No Sentiment)
1. klb1082
2. lois577
3. StampWizard
4. StampWizard
5. SayStampsPlease
6.

Craf-T-Bear 11-15-2012 04:24 PM

Hey Heather~

I would like to be the 1st person to sign up for your swap. I will take 1 spot in each of the catagories.

Maybe we can work on these together?

Huggles,
Christi

Quilling_Queen 11-16-2012 04:28 AM

Yeah!!! Welcome...

We need more swappers, please!!!

animallover 11-16-2012 05:28 AM

Please sign me up for Thinking of You, Birthday and Anniversary, I will be donating all of my cards.
Thanks
Sally

Quilling_Queen 11-16-2012 06:46 AM

Thank you Thank you THank you Sally!!! I have you added. Please PM me your address, I will have a little Thank you gift for your donation.

Quilling_Queen 11-19-2012 11:21 AM

Bump for more swappers!!!

ktfabian2 11-20-2012 01:52 AM

Hi Heather,

I'm a member of Soldier's Angels, too. It's a great organization! I'd like a spot in each category and all of my cards will be donated.

Thanks so much for doing this. I still keep in touch with the soldier I adopted in 2008. She had no one who kept in touch with her while serving in Afghanistan, and was so surprised when my first package arrived (it got there before my first letter) she called security to check it out! Soldier's Angels also supported my son while he was in Iraq. He saw first hand how they helped soldiers who didn't have anyone to support them and was very impressed.

Good luck with your first swap!
Tracy

Quilling_Queen 11-20-2012 07:03 AM

Welcome Tracy!!! Thank you thank you thank you...

Quilling_Queen 11-20-2012 01:01 PM

BTT

Stamp Wizard 11-21-2012 03:09 PM

Heather

I have been sending boxes of blank cards to our troops for over 3 years now. I don't go through any of the organizations, such as Soldiers Angels, but send the boxes all by myself. I've gotten 'card fronts' from several of my fellow Stampin' Up! demonstrators and I make them into cards, then send them off. I've just recently sent over 100 Christmas cards, some to units in Afghanistan and one box to some SeaBees (Marines) in the orient somewhere (forget exactly where they are). I also like to send snacks (healthy) and candy to them throughout the year. One thing I'm doing right now is to make a bunch of little Christmas stockings from a Stampin' Up! Sizzix Big Shot die (Holiday Sticking Bigz L) and put a few pieces of chocolate in them and send them off. Obviously I have to hurry! Christmas is only 34 (?) days away!!!

Anyway....................

Please put me down for ONE spot in each category. I will also donate ALL of my cards to your endeavor. Oh, I'll be making a birthday card appropriate for a child. I think those kinds of cards are sometimes forgotten.

tryingtofindtime 11-21-2012 06:37 PM

heather...I'm going to sub for now. I've got a long list due for february and just found out this week my DH needs surgery and he will be out of work for 12 weeks...so hoping things all work out and I have the time to do these while finding a 2nd job during the duration of his no work...sooo...hopefully I'll be back. please feel free to post a link to this in any of my swaps (i know your in a few). I typically make card for OWH, but this is cool too. :)

libreeder@aol.com 11-21-2012 06:55 PM

Please sign me up
 
Heather,

Please sign me up for "Thinking of You" and "Birthday."

I love "Soldiers Angels.". I teach Army JROTC (I'm retired from the Army) and a few years ago my cadets raised money and bought a voice activated laptop for a wounded soldier through Soldiers Angels Valour-It project. The organization sent us a note telling us all about the soldier. It is amazing all the projects they support. I see soldiers here in (Germany) wearing backpacks (they have a great logo too) they received from SA when being treated at Landstuhl hospital.

Madonna

Quilling_Queen 11-22-2012 10:47 AM

Welcome Stamp Wizard & libreeder@aol.com to the swap.

Thanks for joining.

2CuteCats 11-22-2012 04:54 PM

subbing for now. When is the due date? I didn't see it. :rolleyes:

jmventrilla 11-22-2012 05:31 PM

I'll take a spot in Birthday and Thinking of you. you can donate all the cards. Is the PO box your regular address?

Stamp Wizard 11-22-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2CuteCats (Post 19842167)
subbing for now. When is the due date? I didn't see it. :rolleyes:

Due Date is February 15th, 2013! So we have plenty of time after all the craziness of the holidays becomes just a memory. ;) [It's mentioned about 1/2 way down through the 'instructions.']

lois577 11-22-2012 10:11 PM

I had no idea there was another organization sending cards to the troops besides Operation Write Home. I checked out the Soldiers Angels website and see that they do other things besides cards. Sewing? How does that work?

Anyway, please sign me up for a spot in all 4 groups and I will donate all the cards. Thanks for doing this, Heather.

Stamp Wizard 11-23-2012 09:40 AM

Hope everyone is Surviving BLACK FRIDAY! ;)

I went out at 8:30 am to go to the Post Office, only 2 of us there, and now I'm home! No crazy shopping for me!!

Stamp Wizard 11-23-2012 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lois577 (Post 19842411)
I had no idea there was another organization sending cards to the troops besides Operation Write Home. I checked out the Soldiers Angels website and see that they do other things besides cards. Sewing? How does that work?

Anyway, please sign me up for a spot in all 4 groups and I will donate all the cards. Thanks for doing this, Heather.

Lois

There are many other organizations that send cards & care packages to troops, or give you the information about a unit and you send the boxes yourself. Some of these organizations are very localized and some are national and non-profit.

Give 2 The Troops (Give2TheTroops - Supporting Deployed U.S. Troops With Care Packages) is a national non-profit.

AnySoldier.com is national and they provide addresses for units where you can send any kind of care package.

There are two other nation-wide organizations that take cards but I can't think of them right now. :(

Soldiers Angels is a very comprehensive program. As you can see from their website, they do much more than just send cards to troops. Through them you can commit to "adopting" an individual soldier for a year (I think) or you can do other short term projects to help.

Personally, I've been getting names & addresses of units through AnySoldier.com for several years now. I like to be able to choose my own unit (Army, Navy, etc) and where they are located (Afghanistan, Kuwait, etc) to send a variety of goodies. ;)

2CuteCats 11-23-2012 11:12 AM

Heather, I will take 2 spots in birthdays. You can donate all my cards. :D

Quilling_Queen 11-23-2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmventrilla (Post 19842219)
I'll take a spot in Birthday and Thinking of you. you can donate all the cards. Is the PO box your regular address?

I actually work at the PO where my box is located, so when I started to write the soldiers, I decided I wanted to have a PO Box to give as my address instead of sending my home address to 100's of strangers. Since I work as the Postmaster Relief(and only employee) I recieve all my happy mail first thing in the morning by 8:30am :D

Quilling_Queen 11-23-2012 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamp Wizard (Post 19842956)
Hope everyone is Surviving BLACK FRIDAY! ;)

I went out at 8:30 am to go to the Post Office, only 2 of us there, and now I'm home! No crazy shopping for me!!

I was at our local Walmarts Pre-Black Friday sale last night 8pm-10:15pm then got home around 11pm. Was back up at 4:30 and went to our local AC Moore store. I had a 40 % off total regular price items plus my $10 bonus certificate for hitting so many points then the $5 certificate given to the first 100 people thru the door. Spent $32 & saved $36

Quilling_Queen 11-23-2012 11:28 AM

Welcome jmventrilla, lois577 & 2CuteCats!!!

I am on the Letter Writing Team and I write to 4 different soldiers per week, I am on the sewing team - I've made pillow cases, walker caddies and crocheted trach covers for injured soldiers. I also have 3 adopted soldiers that I have been sending care packages too and cards. I am also on the Card Plus team as well, so if someone has a soldier or soldiers family that needs just a little extra support, they post the individual's name and C/O address and we sign up to send extra cards to that person.

It is such a great organizations as are all the others. I too have used AnySoldier on holidays to send cards.

Thanks everyone for joining and donating cards!

jmventrilla 11-23-2012 11:35 AM

I joined Soldiers Angels too and just adopted a girl in the navy. I also signed up for the Card Plus team too. Thanks for the info.

Quilling_Queen 11-23-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmventrilla (Post 19843088)
I joined Soldiers Angels too and just adopted a girl in the navy. I also signed up for the Card Plus team too. Thanks for the info.

Welcome to the club, glad I could help out!

2CuteCats 11-23-2012 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2CuteCats (Post 19843050)
Heather, I will take 2 spots in birthdays. You can donate all my cards. :D

Heather, you didn't put me down on the list. ;)

Stamp Wizard 11-23-2012 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quilling_Queen (Post 19843052)
I actually work at the PO where my box is located, so when I started to write the soldiers, I decided I wanted to have a PO Box to give as my address instead of sending my home address to 100's of strangers. Since I work as the Postmaster Relief(and only employee) I recieve all my happy mail first thing in the morning by 8:30am :D

Heather
Now that is really "thinking smart"!!!
I'm also thinking of getting a P. O. Box for similar reasons. Plus I want to start selling things and if someone wants to send me a check, I don't need my house address everywhere! [We are all out there on the internet anyway - with those White Pages stuff - but I don't have to make it easier to find me.]

Stamp Wizard 11-23-2012 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quilling_Queen (Post 19843080)


I am on the Letter Writing Team and I write to 4 different soldiers per week, I am on the sewing team - I've made pillow cases, walker caddies and crocheted trach covers for injured soldiers. I also have 3 adopted soldiers that I have been sending care packages too and cards. I am also on the Card Plus team as well, so if someone has a soldier or soldiers family that needs just a little extra support, they post the individual's name and C/O address and we sign up to send extra cards to that person.

Heather!!!

Good Grief woman! You must be busy ALL the time making cards, sewing, stuffing your boxes, etc!

With the rules of Soldiers Angels, I can't afford to sponsor one soldier for a full year. I'm unemployed, disabled and on a limited income (great combination, huh). However, since I am retired from the U. S. Army, I "have to" support my troops where I can.

I have tons of fabric I have collected over the years and I think I'll check into the sewing group. I don't think I have enough to say to a soldier for weekly letters! Good grief, how interesting can a life for a 59 year old woman be to a young soldier??? :???:

Stamp Wizard 11-23-2012 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2CuteCats (Post 19843196)
Heather, you didn't put me down on the list. ;)

Roxane -

That avatar cat is so "stinkin' cute"!!!! It's such a tiny picture I can't make it out. But, since you are "2CuteCats," what does the other cat look like? I don't think people would mind if you posted a picture of your cute cats....inquiring minds want to know (at least my mind does). :)

2CuteCats 11-23-2012 02:19 PM

LOL That is Alex and the other one is Chloe. Chloe is white with brown and orange on her ears and tail. That picture was taken about 5 or 6 years ago when I was putting the Christmas tree together. I had the sections leaning against the piano and I turned around and there he was sitting between 2 sections.

Quilling_Queen 11-24-2012 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamp Wizard (Post 19843296)
Heather!!!

Good Grief woman! You must be busy ALL the time making cards, sewing, stuffing your boxes, etc!


There is so much more that I am doing too, That was, as my husband says, the Readers Digest version. I am on my Community Association Board, den leader for my 8 year old son's cub scouts, I am the secretary for a cemetery that I have helped my family take care of since I could walk, I am the new Youth Director at my church, I'm currently organzing a Craft Fair. I work 5 1/2 days per week.

LOL My husband thinks that he does more than I do... If he only knew how wrong he is... :D One thing, I'm too busy to get into trouble (I'm kinda mouthy with an attitude :D

Stamp Wizard 11-24-2012 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quilling_Queen (Post 19844197)
There is so much more that I am doing too, That was, as my husband says, the Readers Digest version. I am on my Community Association Board, den leader for my 8 year old son's cub scouts, I am the secretary for a cemetery that I have helped my family take care of since I could walk, I am the new Youth Director at my church, I'm currently organzing a Craft Fair. I work 5 1/2 days per week.

LOL My husband thinks that he does more than I do... If he only knew how wrong he is... :D One thing, I'm too busy to get into trouble (I'm kinda mouthy with an attitude :D

Heather, Heather, Heather.....

I'm exhausted just reading about all the things you are doing!! ;) With a husband and an 8 year old, when do you sleep???? I should send you some Calgon to "take you away" from the hurry & scurry in your life (Calgon was a brand of bath salts in the 1960's that turned the bathwater blue).

Craf-T-Bear 11-24-2012 05:50 PM

Hey Heather,

I forgot to mention that I will be donating ALL of my cards as well. ;)

Quilling_Queen 11-25-2012 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamp Wizard (Post 19844836)
Heather, Heather, Heather.....

I'm exhausted just reading about all the things you are doing!! ;) With a husband and an 8 year old, when do you sleep???? I should send you some Calgon to "take you away" from the hurry & scurry in your life (Calgon was a brand of bath salts in the 1960's that turned the bathwater blue).

I also have a 5 year old too...

Quilling_Queen 11-25-2012 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craf-T-Bear (Post 19845459)
Hey Heather,

I forgot to mention that I will be donating ALL of my cards as well. ;)


Got it... :D

Stamp Wizard 11-25-2012 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quilling_Queen (Post 19845859)
I also have a 5 year old too...

Heather....

I am now comatose! Can you package up some of your BOUNDLESS energy and send it to me??? I could really use some. ;)

Quilling_Queen 11-27-2012 07:58 AM

Bump

Stamp Wizard 11-27-2012 11:48 AM

Heather

Did I mention that I would like to donate ALL of my card swaps to Soldiers Angels?

Thanks!

birdieluver 11-27-2012 12:36 PM

I'll take one in each spot and will donate all!

Terry


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:58 AM.