Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2012, 12:30 PM   #161
Die Cut Diva

JCI. My kits will be postal very soon.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #162
Kookie Creator

True it could have been much worse.thankfully you caught it in time.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:07 PM   #163
Hardware Hotshot

Angie-Sounds Great!

yes ladies it could have been worse. and so far I've been able to cook the last two night. mini meatloaf last night and shake and bake pork chops tonight...thank goodness I got a toaster over (THANK YOU MOM!!). now just trying to figure out how to cook pasta in the microwave.

Heather right?-crazy card lady---I got your package yesterday...everything looked great. one question...I'm sending you a PM...
Old 09-27-2012, 07:56 PM   #164
Stampin' Fool

I think there's a "as seen on TV" gadget for cooking pasta in the microwave. We were thinking of getting one to use at work. Or maybe you could use a single electric burner/hot plate? Also, not for pasta but for other things, what about an electric skillet? Do you have one of those?

Cards Kits for Everyting Swap
Old 09-28-2012, 05:32 AM   #165
Stazon Splitcoast

I was sitting here thinking about how I would prepare a meal for my family if I didn't have my stove/oven. I would use my crock pot, electric griddle, rice cooker/food steamer, outside grill and microwave.

Kristyn ~ I know you have a toaster oven & a microwave. Do you have any of those other items I mentioned?

Everyone ~ What cooking device would you invest in if you lost your stove/oven and couldn't replace it right away?

I think I would purchase an electric skillet if I didn't have my stove.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:50 AM   #166
Die Cut Diva

I use a slow cooker, my friend does not own a stove she cooks everything in either the microwave, the slow cooker, the toaster oven or on her counter element. She bakes bread in her slow cooker. It tastes fabulous.

Dea
Old 09-28-2012, 09:52 AM   #167
Die Cut Diva

Pasta in the microwave. Boil water in micro first, add pasta, return to microwave for seven minutes, check if it needs more time return to microwave.

Dea
Old 09-28-2012, 02:14 PM   #168
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamperamma View Post
Pasta in the microwave. Boil water in micro first, add pasta, return to microwave for seven minutes, check if it needs more time return to microwave.

Dea
SWEET!!!!! thank you soo much!!
Old 09-28-2012, 02:19 PM   #169
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCinkit View Post
I was sitting here thinking about how I would prepare a meal for my family if I didn't have my stove/oven. I would use my crock pot, electric griddle, rice cooker/food steamer, outside grill and microwave.

Kristyn ~ I know you have a toaster oven & a microwave. Do you have any of those other items I mentioned?

Everyone ~ What cooking device would you invest in if you lost your stove/oven and couldn't replace it right away?

I think I would purchase an electric skillet if I didn't have my stove.
crock pot, - yes, I have one of these
electric griddle, -nope don't have one of these
rice cooker/food steamer, -I have a rice cooker I think...someone gave me one a while ago and it doesn't have directions so I've never used it...I think it may steam too...but without directions I really have no idea how to use it..
outside grill - nope...storm came thur one night and broke it all up.
microwave. - yes.

I have a propane two burner camp stove...but it's expensive to use...and I hate lighting it...so it hasn't make it in the house yet.

I agree with the electric skillet or electric griddle. or a single electric burner. something I could boil water on or cook ground meat in.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:24 PM   #170
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
I use a slow cooker, my friend does not own a stove she cooks everything in either the microwave, the slow cooker, the toaster oven or on her counter element. She bakes bread in her slow cooker. It tastes fabulous.

Dea
Really, no stove? I'm curious about the bread in the slow cooker! I do have a bread machine. but never seen bread in a slow cooker...it doesn't get soggy? i guess it really not he different from the bread machine.

I was thinking about soups in the crock pot. but alot of the recipes I normally do use ground beef and I'd have to bring in the camp grill to cook the ground beef...

I'm thinking the camp stove is going to have to come in the house...i really use alot of ground beef. and cooking it in the microwave just doesn't sound good.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:32 PM   #171
Hardware Hotshot

so on the ride home I just realized I'm having to make pies again for a meeting my husband goes to...so I was planning on an apple pie and blonde brownies and a chocolate pie. HA! my toast oven is not big enough to bake a pie in!! no burner to make the "pudding" for the chocolate pie...so I'm going to spend the next week finding pie recipes that I don't have to bake. I know I can do a different style chocolate pie, like with instant pudding and a gram cracker crust...but I'm thinking i'll have to skip the brownies and apple pie and stick with pudding type pies. it's amazing how much you use a stove! How did they do it back before stoves. My husband would love to get a place with no power, and I've often thought I liked this idea...now not so sure!! I think the neighbors will think I'm kinda strange if they see me in the front year over an open fire browning my ground beef!!

I can't wait for tax season!!!
Old 09-28-2012, 06:54 PM   #172
Die Cut Diva

Brownies in a slow cooker

Ingredients

Nonstick cooking spray
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1 cup sugar
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup walnut halves, coarsely chopped
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (6 ounces)
Directions

Lightly coat a 5-quart slow-cooker insert with cooking spray. Line bottom with parchment paper and lightly coat with spray. In a small bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt.
Place butter and chocolate in a medium microwave-safe bowl and microwave in 30-second increments, stirring after each, until chocolate is melted. Add sugar; stir to combine. Stir in eggs. Add flour mixture, walnuts, and chocolate chips and stir just until moistened (do not overmix). Transfer to slow cooker and smooth top.
Cover and cook on low, 3 1/2 hours. Uncover and cook 30 minutes. Remove insert from slow cooker and run a knife around edge to loosen brownies. Let cool completely in insert on a wire rack, about 2 hours. Turn out onto a work surface and cut into 14 brownies.
Cook's Note

The center may look undercooked when time is up, but it will be perfect once cooled.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:57 PM   #173
Die Cut Diva

Bread in a slow cooker

1 tablespoon yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1 cup warm skim milk or 1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup rolled oat
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons honey
1 whole egg
1/4 cup wheat germ
2 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
Directions:

Grease a deep metal or glass bowl or 1 lb coffee can (we use a glass 18 cm Pyrex soufflé dish); turn slow-cooker on high to preheat.
Dissolve yeast in water; combine with milk, oats, salt, oil, honey, egg, and wheat germ.
Add flour and knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
Turn dough immediately into bowl or can; cover LOOSELY with foil.
In bottom of slow-cooker, place 1/2 cup of water and a trivet or some crumpled foil.
Place can or bowl on this; cover and bake on High for 3 hours.
Note: sides of bread brown and crisp beautifully, top will slightly brown and be soft to touch.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:03 PM   #174
Die Cut Diva

Browning ground beef in a microwave

In shallow dish, two minutes on high, remove stir breaking apart, two minutes in microwave, remove stir breaking apart, continue until ground beef is done about ten mins for one to two pounds.

Krystyn, girlfriend said she would continue to provide recipes as you need. She suggested you try apple crisp or peach cobbler in the slow cooker. Yum yum yum.

Dea
Old 09-29-2012, 01:53 AM   #175
Stampin' Fool

Oh my goodness, Dea. I think you have saved the day for Kristyn!!! lol

Personally, I never use my oven. Since I just cook for one, my toaster oven is a perfect size and probably saves energy tool. But I do use the stovetop quite a bit. So in answer to the question posted earlier, I would definitely buy a single electric burner to use instead of the stovetop. Those George Foreman grills come in handy too.

Old 09-29-2012, 10:51 AM   #176
Hardware Hotshot

dea-I'm simply amazed!! I'm saving these receipes and going to try them!! I can't wait. thank you sooo much.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:28 PM   #177
Hardware Hotshot

Just checking in to say that my kits are postal!
Old 09-29-2012, 01:17 PM   #178
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyNacho View Post
Just checking in to say that my kits are postal!
yeah!! i'm excited...I can't wait to see what you came up with. we've gotten in some great kit already.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:51 PM   #179
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingtofindtime View Post
dea-I'm simply amazed!! I'm saving these receipes and going to try them!! I can't wait. thank you sooo much.
If you eat pork chops.

One cups rice
One can beef broth
One can water
Pork chops
Onion
Green Pepper
Tomato

Pour rice on bottom of cooker, add broth, fill can with water and add. Place chops on rice, add a slice of onion, pepper and tomatoe to the top of each chop. Cover and cook in slow cooker six to eight hours.

Dea
Old 09-29-2012, 05:03 PM   #180
Stazon Splitcoast

Dea ~ Great recipes! I'm going to try some, too. I don't make pork chops because I'm not good at cooking with them. This recipe might make the difference. In your recipe, does thickness of chop matter? How many chops? Thanks! ~ Diane
Old 09-29-2012, 05:35 PM   #181
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Dea ~ Great recipes! I'm going to try some, too. I don't make pork chops because I'm not good at cooking with them. This recipe might make the difference. In your recipe, does thickness of chop matter? How many chops? Thanks! ~ Diane
The chops should not be thicker than an inch, you can double the rice, by doubling the water and broth. Oxo cubes work as well if you are on a tight budget. You can completely cover the rice with chops or you can add just a few. This is a very simple recipe to expand on. The chops come out juicy and so tender.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:38 PM   #182
Die Cut Diva

Cooking a round roast in a slow cooker will make it seem like you cooked a prime rib roast.

One package low sodium onion soup mix and one round roast and one cup water. Place roast in pan, add soup mix spnkle over roast, add water, cover and cook until done. Minimum eight hours. I add potatoes, carrots and onions for a full meal deal.

Dea
Old 09-29-2012, 07:10 PM   #183
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
The chops should not be thicker than an inch, you can double the rice, by doubling the water and broth. Oxo cubes work as well if you are on a tight budget. You can completely cover the rice with chops or you can add just a few. This is a very simple recipe to expand on. The chops come out juicy and so tender.

Thanks Dea!! One last question - how many porkchops? Thanks so much. I'll let you know how they turn out! My DH will be thrilled. TFS!!
Old 09-30-2012, 12:56 AM   #184
Die Cut Diva

For the chops, four or more. You can brown them first if you want. Two minutes on each side on medium heat. I don't bother. I have to leave for work at four am so I just throw everything in and leave. My mom does because she needs to see brown on her meat to believe they are done.

Dea
Old 10-01-2012, 05:24 PM   #185
Hardware Hotshot

I hate cooking pork too...Not quite sure what bothers me. I can do a pork roast in the crock pot and eat it just fine. If I bake pork chops I can usually eat them, not always...if I pan cook them-odds are I'm not eating them. and I can't do bone in pork chops either or the pork that's like a brown meat...nope can't eat that either...the color bothers me. I think it's the smell of pork cooking that makes not want to eat them. I like the crock pot for pork. toss it in, then walk away and come home to a good smell!!

Dea for the rice----do you use regular rice? not a minute rice. I would assume a regular rice cuz I'd think minute rice was turn to mush. I will try this for sure!!! have to go grocery shopping tomorrow so this will go on my list.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:25 PM   #186
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Cooking a round roast in a slow cooker will make it seem like you cooked a prime rib roast.

One package low sodium onion soup mix and one round roast and one cup water. Place roast in pan, add soup mix spnkle over roast, add water, cover and cook until done. Minimum eight hours. I add potatoes, carrots and onions for a full meal deal.

Dea
I do my beef roast like this too. I like to buy cheap meat so the crock pot is perfect for that.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:26 PM   #187
Hardware Hotshot

my mom has a great stew recipe that I make in the crock pot instead of the oven. I need to put that on my meal planner.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:46 PM   #188
Stazon Splitcoast

Good evening!
I made my card kits last night! I will get them in the mail sometime this week.
I Thessalonians 5:16-18: Rejoice always, Pray without ceasing. Give thanks in all circumstances for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:38 PM   #189
Stampin' Fool

I took a package of boneless pork chops out the the freezer yesterday right after reading Dea's recipe for pork and rice. Then today I had to go to the store to get rice since that is not something I usually have on hand. Had all the other ingredients though and I'm about to put them all in the crock pot! Yum!!

Old 10-02-2012, 03:19 PM   #190
Stazon Splitcoast

My kits were mailed out today. They are on the way!
Old 10-02-2012, 03:24 PM   #191
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by lois577 View Post
I took a package of boneless pork chops out the the freezer yesterday right after reading Dea's recipe for pork and rice. Then today I had to go to the store to get rice since that is not something I usually have on hand. Had all the other ingredients though and I'm about to put them all in the crock pot! Yum!!
Let me know what you think please even if you don't like it I would still like to know.

Dea
Old 10-02-2012, 03:30 PM   #192
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
I hate cooking pork too...Not quite sure what bothers me. I can do a pork roast in the crock pot and eat it just fine. If I bake pork chops I can usually eat them, not always...if I pan cook them-odds are I'm not eating them. and I can't do bone in pork chops either or the pork that's like a brown meat...nope can't eat that either...the color bothers me. I think it's the smell of pork cooking that makes not want to eat them. I like the crock pot for pork. toss it in, then walk away and come home to a good smell!!

Dea for the rice----do you use regular rice? not a minute rice. I would assume a regular rice cuz I'd think minute rice was turn to mush. I will try this for sure!!! have to go grocery shopping tomorrow so this will go on my list.
Regular rice for this dish
Old 10-02-2012, 05:00 PM   #193
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Regular rice for this dish
Oh good...I bought some regular rice today. i usually keep on hand minute rice (not good at cooking regular rice) and boil in bag rice (great for camping).
Old 10-02-2012, 05:01 PM   #194
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by lois577 View Post
I want to know what you think too.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #195
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2CuteCats View Post
Good evening!
I made my card kits last night! I will get them in the mail sometime this week.
sounds great.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:03 PM   #196
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
My kits were mailed out today. They are on the way!
I'll let you know when they arrive. I can't wait to see them.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:09 PM   #197
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Let me know what you think please even if you don't like it I would still like to know.

Dea
The pork chops came out falling-apart tender and delicious! The flavor was really very good. But I think I did something wrong because my rice turned into a big pasty mush. Not a big loss, since I probably shouldn't eat rice anyway. lol I cooked it on high for about 6 hours. Was that too long? Or maybe it should have been on low? I would definitely try this recipe again because the flavor was that good! Maybe brown rice? Any suggestions?

Old 10-03-2012, 04:44 PM   #198
Hardware Hotshot

well Lois...your bad results aren't going to stop me from trying it...I'm thinking maybe should have been on low. just a though....BTW your stew came out good in the crock pot today.

Emily(sky nacho)-your package arrive today...very cute kit!!
Old 10-03-2012, 05:27 PM   #199
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Emily(sky nacho)-your package arrive today...very cute kit!!
Thanks!
Old 10-03-2012, 09:08 PM   #200
Kookie Creator

Hey Kristin I know things are crazy at your house ... no stove and all. I wouldn't know what to do without one. My next tattoo is "bake cake" on my knuckles. LOL I'm still waiting on that pm whenever you get a chance. Thanks. Hope things are going well. Or well enough
Closed Thread