Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?
Congratulations to our December Swapper of the Month! Here is a little information about Barb.
Originally Posted by barbaralynn
Thanks--it is an honor to be chosen by other members of the SCS Swapping Community!
- how you got started--There was a local stamp store in the town where I worked and I knew the owner. I visited there a few times as I typically stamped a Christmas greeting on the outside of the envelope when I sent my Christmas Cards. That was the extent of my stamping for years--until she directed me to Stampin' Up and SCS in 2004. And, the rest is history as they say.............. Been Hooked on Both Ever Since!
- how long have you been doing this--I joined SCS in October of 2004 and just chatted for a couple of years. Then, a year or so later I started swapping and loved it. In January of 2008--a snow day and I was home as I was a teacher--I started a thread to hostess my first swap--a Whipper Snapper Swap! I have been hosting and swapping ever since!
- do you have any other hobbies--I do like to make digital scrapbooks as well as traditional ones. I also love to garden and we built a greenhouse last fall to enhance that hobby even more! I love all sports, especially the Green Bay Packers! I also love to travel--and some of the best vacations are those where we stay in Wisconsin and rent a house on a lake. I have traveled to Germany to visit relatives of my parents--they both were born there in the early 1900's and I was able to meet a couple of uncles as well as 15 cousins!
- favorite tools of the trade--I love Copic Markers for coloring as well as my Big Shot for die cuts and embossing. Punches are a go to tool too--say that fast................. I also have an addiction to ribbon and brads and buttons--I use them on pretty much every single card I make.
- something we might not know--I post pretty much every day on SCS in various threads, so I think most everything about me is out there some place---that is a bit scary too ............... Many of my swapping friends know I love Christmas and decorate the entire house for the season. I have had 18 themed trees in the past and I am sure it will be more this year as I got a couple of new trees on clearance last year after Christmas . It is perfect that I am the swapper of the month for December!
- favorite swapping experience--I think my favorite swaps are the mystery swap/unidentified image ones that Jeanette--Forest Ranger--introduced a few years ago. The hostess sends out the same image to swappers and each swapper creates cards using that image. It is so fun to see the completed cards that are all so different. I have a few examples in my gallery of these swaps that I hosted.
- anything else that you would like to share--I love all of the friends that I have met via SCS. I have had the pleasure to meet some of these awesome swappers in real life--what a blessing! I also was encouraged to start a blog a few years ago to share some of my creations. Barb's Blog I am also a part of some blog challenge groups with other SCS ladies and those are also a blast. I am also working on more challenges from other blogs and stamp companies--I would love to be a designer for one in the future!
One of the most rewarding parts of SCS is my role as the BRAK Committee Coordinator. I am involved with the committee that sets up the BRAK Volunteers to send out birthday cards each month to members of the RAK Forum here on SCS. I know that it puts a smile on the face of someone each time they open a birthday card from someone they probably have never met and was made and sent with that goal in mind!
WHOOHOOT! YAY! Congrats to Barb on being December Swapper of the Month! I cannot think of anyone more deserving. She hosts and participates in so many swaps and her card creations are fantastic! I'm so blessed to be the lucky recipient of Barb's beautiful cards and even more blessed to have met her in person. LOVE HER!!!
Location: Foster dog REX is up for adoption at www.mwdr.org
You are the BEST, Barb!!!
I've had the pleasure of meeting Barb in person, as I also live in WI!!! She is a fabulous person, and I'm still waiting for our next visit to the Cheesecake Factory!!! LOL!
Barb is also a BIG part of my Ronald McDonald House Project. She regularly takes cards and goodie bags to the children and families staying at the Ronald McDonald house in Wauwatosa, which is a suburb of Milwaukee. The cards can be used by the families staying at the house, or by the staff to give a card to someone in the family of the child that is ill.
With Barb's help, we have donated over 11,000 cards to Ronald McDonald Houses all over the US, Canada and even Australia.
I honestly don't know how she finds enough hours in a day for all the things she does and all the swaps she hosts! She is truly a blessing to all who know her and she is SOOOOOOOO deserving of this accolade!!!!
I can honestly say Barb's cards are something to see! The way she cordinates the colors, layers, and brads, buttons, ribbon- WOW! is all I can say! Anytime I forget how to layer a card I simply pull out one of Barb's cards