Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2011, 07:45 AM   #281
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie Y View Post
Oh the origins/meanings of some of the phrases that have been passed down over the years are soooo funny, and also interesting like a head-slapper when you say ah, that's where that came from!! Wish I still had my paper, but the floppy disk it was saved on is long gone! Rule of thumb is what stuck in my mind and I have a good giggle when ever I read it or say it! I forget most of them...don't throw the baby out with the water is another. Now I've gone and done it! Gonna have to look some of those up...my paper research was done in the library using books! imagine that!
I love the history behind those kind of sayings. However, I must say I was very displeased with a teacher once when I was observing in her grade 5 classroom and she proceeded to go on and on about the Rule of Thumb, talking about police not charging husbands for beating their wives, etc. etc. etc. for about 20 min. as I sat there knowing there were at least 2 children in that room who had witnessed tragic spousal abuse in their past (and probably a few others that were dealing with it that I didn't know about). I'm sure when she eventually looked at me she read my face and stopped!!

That being said, there is lots of intrersting stories behind the creation of them .. here is a good one: Never look a gift horse in the mouth!!!! ....
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-25-2011, 09:11 AM   #282
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi ladies,

I can't wait to see our next image. I need to spend today blog hopping. I have blogs I visit everyday because they post everyday and then I have some I visit when I see they post but there are always some that get by me and I miss their posts so am on a mission to visit everybody today. Susanne, Denise has a blog but does not post too often or posts in spells depending on her health. Joanna and Tracie have blogs and so does Tanja, Angela, Jessica, Kathy, Donelda, Vickie, Debra and more. I just can't think of them off the top of my head. Hope this helps, I know I missed some.

I also need to update my gallery on SCS today. I don't post as often as I used to before blogging. I need to get it all together but probably won't. lol!!

Hope you all have a wonderful, fun and sunny weekend. We might.

Lindas Stamping Blog
Corrosive Challenge Blog DT
The Outlawz Alccohol Marker Challenge DT
Fan Club Member
Old 02-25-2011, 10:12 AM   #283
Glitter Guru

Linda, if you figure out how to get it all together, let me know!

I'm excited to see what image Imke picked, too.

Donelda, I love expressions, like that too. My Nana uses the gift horse one alot, among others.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:35 AM   #284
Watercolor Wizard

Imke---I kinda went OVER THE TOP PINK but I think our lil' Tilda looked so precious in all colors! My first attempt was the blue/greenish blue motif---but my blue Copics need refilling so I chucked that Tilda image! I did however, save her arms so I could layer the PINK Tilda! Then, I went and bought the new floral K&Co DP and loved the florals in that pad and so that was that for me!

Wiggy---As I was reading your story about being in class; "Open mouth insert foot" came to mind (about the teacher that went ON and ON about the history of the "rule of thumb"...

One very popular saying here in the northeast is: "6 of 1....1/2 dozen of another" now, say that with a thick Boston accent (which is how people tawk around heeeeah) and it sounds like; "Six-ah one half dozen of anothah" When I moved here 25 years ago I had NO IDEA what people were saying...It obviously means "its the same" no matter how you look at something!

Weather update--pouring rain has sloshed up and melted our pretty snowfall today--gigantic puddles everywhere--temps dropping later and more snow on the Doppler!

www.quillingfancy.blogspot.com
Old 02-25-2011, 04:29 PM   #285
Stazon Splitcoast

Okay ladies, thanks for helping me out of my craft funk.... I have a fear of coloring Tildas, so this is the first one I have posted. I realize I am cutting the deadline close!

Just Monkeying Around....
I design for: Bugaboo, Creative Card Crew, Doodle Pantry, Flat Friends, From the Heart Stamps, Tuesday Morning Sketches, Ruby's Rainbow
Old 02-26-2011, 12:50 AM   #286
Glitter Guru

Absolutely adorable, Angela. I like the cheerful colors !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeymama View Post
Okay ladies, thanks for helping me out of my craft funk.... I have a fear of coloring Tildas, so this is the first one I have posted. I realize I am cutting the deadline close!
Old 02-26-2011, 04:22 AM   #287
SCS BRAK Coordinator

Now - who is going to help me out of my craft funk. Can't seem to get in to making anything. Hopefully today it will come.
Old 02-26-2011, 04:30 AM   #288
Watercolor Wizard

Angela---beautiful card--love the entire concept and that coordinated flower!!!

Tracie--lets see, when I am in a craft funk I do three things; I go browse around an LSS or Michaels/ACmoore to see colors and variety{fresh air of going to a craft store does wonders!!!) and/or I do something totally different--if I am working on a swap, instead I'll make cards or try a new design with some DP, finally, I mope around the internet--Google images and see what's out there or of course mope around SCS to get ideas!

Imke--pick a good one!!! Hahaha (As if you wouldn't) We all know how to post--we all got the kinks out of getting one card done, we all want to put our twist on your design...too much pressure? <smiles> Will it have room for a TREE or SWING? <laughing here because you must think I am bonkers!!!>

I plan to work all day--I'll try not to pop in and bother you ladies--but you never know, my computer beckons me sometimes...wondering aimlessly!

Have a good one!

Old 02-26-2011, 08:45 AM   #289
Watercolor Wizard

:::::WAVING @ IMKE::::: I received my image today!!!! Yeah! I know EXACTLY what I am going to make with (her) ---psssssst...don't want to give it away! thanks Imke!

Old 02-26-2011, 09:12 AM   #290
Polyshrink Goddess

Send a message via Yahoo to Debra G Smith

Ladies...I have to say I have had so much fun being on here. I love getting to see everyone's talents come to life on the cards they create and the sharing of themselves.
With that said, hope everyone has a great day!!!

Going to see my youngest granddaughter today...Fun..Fun...Fun..
Old 02-26-2011, 11:02 AM   #291
Stazon Splitcoast

Debra, hope you enjoy your day and know will love seeing Madison. She is a doll.

I got some great mail yesterday. My Spring Magnolia kit from Sweden came and they are adorable images. I am going to be working on some swaps today with them so need to get busy finding dp.

I've been to see my DGD play basketball this morning and home now to play I hope.

Tracie, hope you are much better.

Angela, I loved your card. Great job and beautiful coloring.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Lindas Stamping Blog
Fan Club Member
Old 02-26-2011, 11:48 AM   #292
SCS BRAK Coordinator

Getting my creative bug back today. Working on several ideas that I have been wanting to put to paper.

Linda - Do you ever get up to the KC area? We have tons of stamping stores up here.

Vickie - I hope to play with my new embossing folders. I have several ideas floating around in my head. Hope they turn out as good as I planned.

Have to update my blog. It has been ignored here recently.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:18 PM   #293
Stampin' Fool

Default Lexie's card

OK, I have I hope posted my image to the gallery....with Lexie's. I am sorta upset with her, she was so don't want Nana to see it that instead of coming and getting a stamp from me she wrote on her card???? Well, I guess she does this because she doesn't have any sentiment stampsl,,, well we will see if I can find her at least a few. I didn't go to the scrapbook store today for the big sell. We bought a used SUV instead, so UHG!

Oh well, I will get her something. She just said to me, I didn't want you to have to dig throught your stuff, after a deep breath.....told her where stuff was, what she could use, as long as she cleans up and puts back she can use, she was ok with that. She is a tooooooo mature 14 year old. Seen too much in her short life. She is a great kid though!!!! Good head on her shoulders! Anyway, lost focus!!!!! She says she won't do that anymore!!!!! Her cards are really cute, I just want to give her other options if she wanted to do something else besides use ink on them.

Have a great weekend
Attached Thumbnails
lexies-tilda.jpg  
Old 02-26-2011, 01:23 PM   #294
Stampin' Fool

Weather up date, no snow on the ground today, but we sure had some on the ground last night on the northern westcoast at SEA LEVEL and it was the pits!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-26-2011, 01:35 PM   #295
Stampin' Fool

OK, I tried several times to download per instructions, and not happening.........So, I will try later, off to pick up the SUV...... Later!
Old 02-26-2011, 11:56 PM   #296
Glitter Guru

WOW, that was fast. It sounds as if you like it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susanne527 View Post
:::::WAVING @ IMKE::::: I received my image today!!!! Yeah! I know EXACTLY what I am going to make with (her) ---psssssst...don't want to give it away! thanks Imke!
Old 02-27-2011, 05:12 AM   #297
Swapper of the Month June 2012

Location: down the road, around the corner, first house on the left

Denise, Lexie's card is adorable! I think the hand written sentiment makes it extra special! Infact, I would like to have a stamp that looks like that!

Tracie, I know whatever you create will be fabulous!

Can't wait to get Imke's images!

Wishing everyone a wonderful day!

Last edited by Vickie Y; 02-27-2011 at 07:19 AM.. Reason: corrected spelling of Lexie's name. :)
Old 02-27-2011, 06:03 AM   #298
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by leslie0090 View Post
OK, I have I hope posted my image to the gallery....with Lexie's. I am sorta upset with her, she was so don't want Nana to see it that instead of coming and getting a stamp from me she wrote on her card???? Well, I guess she does this because she doesn't have any sentiment stampsl,,, well we will see if I can find her at least a few. I didn't go to the scrapbook store today for the big sell. We bought a used SUV instead, so UHG!
I love Lexie's card. Such a great placement of the image. And I've got to tell you ... if my printing/writing looked that cool, I'd write my own sentiments too!! Wow, I adore how she added the lettering and that cute flower too. I know there are some card makers who work on their printing and add their own handwriting to cards all the time. Check out Kristina Werner's blog. and, of course, Papertrey Ink created a whole set based on Dawn McVey's writing! I would encourage Lexie to continue practicing her printing!! If she had put it on a solid strip of cardstock in a light color it would be great. In fact ... you could have her hand write up a whole batch of sentiments to add to the images you send out on your month ... if you want
Old 02-27-2011, 06:08 AM   #299
Pearl-ExPert

Okay, so now I am on pins and needles because one of us has Imke's image .... when will it get here?? when will it get here??? I can't wait!!! It never occurred to me that part of the fun would be waiting for the image to arrive and wondering what they will be like!!
Old 02-27-2011, 06:23 AM   #300
Polyshrink Goddess

I agree I think Lexie did an awesome job. The handwritten sentiment looks great.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:01 AM   #301
Glitter Guru

Love Lexie's card, so pretty. I agree her printing looks so cool, I would have thought it was a stamp! She's very talented, my gosh it must run in the family!

Donelda, it's so funny, I'm excited to see the next image, too. It's all about the surprise, I keep wondering what Imke picked! Fun!
Old 02-27-2011, 07:02 AM   #302
Stazon Splitcoast

I love Lexie's handwriting. I love getting notes from her and she can write me sentiments anytime she wants to. Maybe I'll have her do that while I am out there. If you don't figure out how to get the cards in the thread, I'll call you after church and walk you thru it.

Gotto go so won't be late for church so be back later.

Lindas Stamping Blog
Fan Club Member
Old 02-27-2011, 07:28 AM   #303
Stampin' Fool

Ok, so she finally told me that she actually stamped the image but it didn't show up so she inked over it! I just laughed at her and told her I had cs if she needed it and she said so do I Nana, I wanted to get it to you so you could post it!!!!!!!!!! She was really excited!!!!!! She does have Beautiful handwriting toooooo!

YES, MOM I NEED YOUR HELP!!!!!!!!

Last edited by leslie0090; 02-27-2011 at 07:32 AM..
Old 02-27-2011, 07:37 AM   #304
Die Cut Diva

Denise aren't grandaughters the best...I am always looking to see my daughter in her but often see myself!!
I'm going to a class at my LSS this afternoon. It's called black lace cards...I think she uses a doily stamp. Anyway this Sunday afternoon is free for me so thought I would check it out.
Hope everyone has a fun Sunday!!
Old 02-27-2011, 08:16 AM   #305
Hardware Hotshot

Ugh ... up early. DS has broken the zipper on feetie pj's and NEEDED to go to the bathroom. Imagine a dark bathroom, with DS bouncing up and down (he almost waited too late) and me wrestling with his zipper. What a way to wake up! Must .... drink .... more .... coffee
Old 02-27-2011, 03:32 PM   #306
Pearl-ExPert

Denise, that is so cute that Lexie was so excited. This is very exciting business afterall!!

Pat, I hope you enjoyed your class. The title gives me a good idea for a card!

Joanna - I almost peed my pants when I read about your early morning adventures!! LOL!! Guess you'll have to fix that zipper LOL!!

Question -- if we have already posted our card made with Linda's image to our blogs and the gallery do we need to re-post tomorrow since it is the 28th. Or, did we decide that as long as we posted BY the 28th we are good?? It doesn't matter to me but I certainly want to do whatever the group decides.

Well, we are watching the finals of the Tournament of Hearts (curling!). Better go so I can yell at the TV LOL!!

Hope you all have a great week.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:05 PM   #307
Stazon Splitcoast

Denise still can't get her card and Lexie's entered. I tried to help her but it is again saying the cards are too big. Yesterday when she tried they were ok. If I can't help her tomorrow, I'll do it while I am out there.

I can't wait to see the image Imke sent. You are right ladies, half the fun is waiting on the image.

Lindas Stamping Blog
Fan Club Member
Old 02-27-2011, 05:33 PM   #308
Glitter Guru

Pat, how old is your granddaughter?

Denise and Pat, your granddaughters are so lucky, some of my fondest memories of time spent with my Nana as a little girl were making things at her dining room table. She was the queen of recycled crafts. We used to make a mistletoe balls out of empty creamer cups, lol! And covered bleach bottles that looked like santa or snowmen were another favorite. She will be 97 on Wednesday. She is pretty frail, but totally sharp and with it. I'm planning to go visit next weekend!
Old 02-27-2011, 05:35 PM   #309
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenbee Jo View Post
Ugh ... up early. DS has broken the zipper on feetie pj's and NEEDED to go to the bathroom. Imagine a dark bathroom, with DS bouncing up and down (he almost waited too late) and me wrestling with his zipper. What a way to wake up! Must .... drink .... more .... coffee
AAAKKKK! What a way to wake up, Joanna, I totally empathize. Hope you had lots of coffee!
Old 02-27-2011, 06:33 PM   #310
Die Cut Diva

Kathy she will be 13 in May. She is a tall girl and very independent, and very grown up, sometimes its hard to believe she is only 12. She has said she wants to be a "children's doctor" ever since she was a tiny girl...we'll see. I keep telling her thats a lot of school and maybe she would like to do something else but she is hasn't changed her mind.
Both she and her brother have always called me Nana too. Every year we make their Christmas cards and Austin always mans the Cuttlebug, I think he believes it's a little more masculine than the other parts of card making!!
Glad you still have your grandmother to love and enjoy time together.

Last edited by patriciae; 02-27-2011 at 06:43 PM..
Old 02-27-2011, 06:42 PM   #311
Die Cut Diva

I really enjoyed my class this afternoon. She kept the class at 8 and that helped things move along quickly. We used stamps from a kit I've never seen by Kaiser Craft called "Tea at Elsie's". She stayed with a cream, black and craft color scheme and the cards are so pretty.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:24 PM   #312
Watercolor Wizard

Imke---Yes, the image is cute (and the tiny bit of "sunshine" too) <--almost missed this until I saw your note! I don't want say who it is so the others may enjoy the anticipation! Funny, I receive European mail first for once....usually I am the last girl on the block to get mail over here!!!

Denise--Lexie's card is adorable---she's got THE STYLE down pat<--'apple doesn't fall far from the tree' I have taught crafts to kids and they usually pick out some wild DP that doesn't match--I have to remind them; it's like getting dressed in the morning---you don't put EVERYTHING in your closet on your body!!! Great job Lexie!!!

Queenie Jo---Do you remember sleeping through the night, late into the morning..getting up and reading the Sunday paper...hot coffee ...maybe decide to do something fun for the day....hahaha poor DS, I think those zippers get chewed up in the dryer...that's happened to my son's (well not recently...many moons ago)!

I am going washer/dryer shopping this week--if you have a recommendations gimme a shout out! My dryer had smoke/or/a really heavy funky steam poof out of it...the laundry was soaking wet after an hour! DONE with that machine...And, since I have to spin (3-4 times per wash), the washer is so outta here too! I want thee large cubic feet and one where The operator picks the water level...I used my neighbors all day--while dog sitting OZZIE who is a "puppy" Neapolitan Mastiff (weighs 125 pounds and not even 2)-he thinks he's a 20 pound pup jumping on my lap...they really need to train him NOW before he is 220pounds at full growth!

The house is quiet, we are ready for school tomorrow--SPIRIT WEEK -my boy's get to wear "dress down clothes with a diff theme each day" (more laundry for me!!!hahaha)

Catch you all tomorrow-I am pooped!

Old 02-28-2011, 03:53 AM   #313
Glitter Guru

Happy Monday !

Joanna- Such a start to the day and I would also need more coffee. I can imagine the stress well

Pat- How often do you go to the stamp class ? It sounds great.

Donelda- I think we do not have to post again. Everyone here has already been posted and we know that the card in the gallery.

Susanne- Right, pssssst we donīt say which image i have chosen.The others will be surprised too

February is completed-only Deniseīs Card is left in the gallery. I think, Denise you donīt use the keyword. Maybe you can change that. You have shown us your card here in this thread but it would be nice to see your card also in our February Selction. But no hurry...

To all: The March images are shipped on the same day. Since you can even see how different long it takes.

Have a great day !!
Old 02-28-2011, 09:26 AM   #314
Swapper of the Month June 2012

Location: down the road, around the corner, first house on the left

Good News! The biopsy report is benign! Thanking the Lord!

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:47 AM   #315
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Great news, and I agree, thank the Lord!

Lindas Stamping Blog
Fan Club Member
Old 02-28-2011, 09:50 AM   #316
Stazon Splitcoast

I just talked to Denise. She and her DH are taking the new car for a test drive, going about 130 mi drive checking out everything cause on the 10th she will be making a 6 hr drive to Sacremento to pick us up at the airport so they are making sure all is as promised by a used car salesman. I will help her get her card on SCS when she gets home. She keeps taking the photos and they keep saying her photos are too big on SCS.

Susanne, I have always liked Sears washers and dryers so do not know much about the other brands.

Hope all of you have a good day.

Lindas Stamping Blog
Fan Club Member
Old 02-28-2011, 10:36 AM   #317
Polyshrink Goddess

Thumbs up

Quote:

Praise God!!!
Old 02-28-2011, 10:40 AM   #318
Polyshrink Goddess

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Palmer View Post
I just talked to Denise. She and her DH are taking the new car for a test drive, going about 130 mi drive checking out everything cause on the 10th she will be making a 6 hr drive to Sacremento to pick us up at the airport so they are making sure all is as promised by a used car salesman. I will help her get her card on SCS when she gets home. She keeps taking the photos and they keep saying her photos are too big on SCS.

Susanne, I have always liked Sears washers and dryers so do not know much about the other brands.

Hope all of you have a good day.
Linda..mine did that, so when I went in an edited the picture I lowered the pixels on it and saved it. Don't know if that will work for her or not.
Did my instructions I sent, help you any on your blog? It looked like you had some things on there. Let me know if you need any help.

Imke...I got my images today. WOO HOO!! I like what you sent, can't wait to get started.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:11 AM   #319
Gabfest Goddess

Hello all! Worked 3 nights in a row, so I have lots of catching up to do, but I wanted to post that I received Imke's March image!! so cute! And I am so excited to get started on my card! I have a few days off after working Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights, so I am hoping to have time in the craft room.

Did notice Vickie's GREAT news! Hooray! Vickie, I am so happy for you! God is good!!
Old 02-28-2011, 12:02 PM   #320
Glitter Guru

Woohooo Vickie, that is great news for sure, so happy for you!

Imke, great choice of image, got mine today! Hmmm, thinking about what to do, this is so much fun!