Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-29-2009, 07:19 AM   #41
Die Cut Diva

Default Thank you for your kind thoughts!

Frankie was my cousin's son, but we are a close knit family, and all my cousin's kids call me Aunt Jane, and I call them my nieces and nephews! But, Frank and his wife were very private. Although the family was right there, and helping in every way, they only shared so much info. Frank was an older cousin, and I was still a kid at 24. He didn't openly talk about the cancer, and I didn't want to pry. So I don't actually know.

All they told everyone was it was in his brainstem, inoperable, and while they were trying chemo and radiation, they stayed at the RMD house in Gainesville Florida.

My cousin lost his job over the amount of time he took off work to be with his son. It was 10 months from diagnosis to death. He was a manager at Bennigan's and they fired him because "he didn't seem to have his mind on his job!" Can you believe it!!!

I never went to Bennigan's again. However, Olive Garden hired him almost immediately as a manager, and the district manager told him the job was his when he was ready for it. They started paying him even though he wasn't working, and even let him have the funeral dinner at the restaurant he was going to manage, and picked up the entire tab. It was amazing. Consequently, I always go to Olive Garden!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-31-2009, 07:35 AM   #42
Pearl-ExPert

Talking

I just wanted to let you know that I found a GREAT home for my Sizzix die cut machine, with die cuts and towers! I didn't here back from Ronald McDonald House, so I contacted Children's Hospital of Wisconsin (Milwaukee) and got a call back and dropped of the Sizzix! I am so happy!!
Old 01-31-2009, 09:47 AM   #43
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Lynn, that is terrific -- guess God wanted them to have it.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:51 PM   #44
Die Cut Diva

Talking I'm blown away!

Cindy,

I got your box today! Wow, are you amazing! Don't worry about the candy, I'll get some regular and sugar-free, and maybe a few non-sweet treats for those who can't have sugar.

Thank you for all you have done!!! These valentines are just fantastic!

I'll talk soon! I am now a member of RAK, but still trying to work out how to do a wish! I think I need to do a few RAK's first, but it is a lot of reading, and I'm in the middle of another reading project, and God knows this Polish gal can't read two things at one time!!! LOL

Hope everyone has a GREAT Day!!!

Jane

Lynn,

That is a great place for your sizzix!!!

Jane
Old 02-03-2009, 05:26 PM   #45
Die Cut Diva

Default BUMP!

Just wanted to remind everyone that is working on cards to get them to me before the end of the month! My second trip is going to be the last weekend of the month!
Old 02-04-2009, 04:09 AM   #46
Stampin' Fool

[QUOTE=janiekay;12973952]Cindy,

I got your box today! Wow, are you amazing! Don't worry about the candy, I'll get some regular and sugar-free, and maybe a few non-sweet treats for those who can't have sugar.

Thank you for all you have done!!! These valentines are just fantastic!

Jane,

Glad you got the package and in time to take to RMH for Valentines. This project was so fun and and I believe so because it's going to a wonderful cause. I'm going to work on some St. Patty's cards and get them out to you by the end of next week for your next trip. And you are an angel for taking this project on.

Hugs and Blessings

My blog: http://www.cindyscreativecorner-cindy.blogspot.com
Old 02-05-2009, 04:07 PM   #47
Die Cut Diva

Talking Cindy, you are AMAZING!!!

I've officially talked to Marilyn, the person in charge of gift donations at the Milwaukee RMD house. Here's the lowdown...the Milwaukee house has 38 rooms, and they are ALWAYS full. Cindy made 30 valentines boxes and I made an additional 8. She also made 30 valentines for each of the kids to give away. I made 46 more, so each child will get 2 to give away.

(I do think you have something with your comment on working for a good cause, because not only did I get the extras done quickly, the ideas for them just came to me!)

Marilyn also said they were thrilled to have the scrapbooking supplies. The Art Therapist from Children's Hospital comes over to the house at least once a week to work with the kids, and she thought scrapbooking was a wonderful idea. Marilyn also loved the idea about having cards at the desk for whatever occation they are needed. Residents can just pick out what they want.

I'm going next week, either Wed or Fri, if anyone wants to come-- meaning Cindy H or Lynn?!?! We could meet for lunch!

I'm also going at the end of the month, so keep those cards and supplies coming!!!
Old 02-05-2009, 04:31 PM   #48
Pearl-ExPert

I am so glad that you got ahold of someone from RMH!! This such a nice thing that you organized!

I am not sure if I will be scheduled to work or not next week, but if I am not, I would love to go with!! I will let you know, I check the schedule tomorrow (Friday). I will try to get back to you tomorrow or this weekend...busy weekend, Pampered Chef party Saturday, Blue/Gold ceremony for my nephews boyscouts on Sunday, and find some time to pay attention to my DH somewhere between there!! LOL!!
Old 02-05-2009, 06:03 PM   #49
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by janiekay View Post
I've officially talked to Marilyn, the person in charge of gift donations at the Milwaukee RMD house. Here's the lowdown...the Milwaukee house has 38 rooms, and they are ALWAYS full. Cindy made 30 valentines boxes and I made an additional 8. She also made 30 valentines for each of the kids to give away. I made 46 more, so each child will get 2 to give away.

(I do think you have something with your comment on working for a good cause, because not only did I get the extras done quickly, the ideas for them just came to me!)

Marilyn also said they were thrilled to have the scrapbooking supplies. The Art Therapist from Children's Hospital comes over to the house at least once a week to work with the kids, and she thought scrapbooking was a wonderful idea. Marilyn also loved the idea about having cards at the desk for whatever occation they are needed. Residents can just pick out what they want.

I'm going next week, either Wed or Fri, if anyone wants to come-- meaning Cindy H or Lynn?!?! We could meet for lunch!

I'm also going at the end of the month, so keep those cards and supplies coming!!!

It is such a blessing to know the valentines will be appreciated. Helping others brings so much satisfaction and knowing they are liked makes me that much more blessed. I can't wait to send to more.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:01 PM   #50
Polyshrink Goddess

Default .

Let me know which day you choose. I usually don't know if I am working or not until morning, but I would love to go if I'm off work. I better get cracking on some cards this weekend!
Old 02-06-2009, 11:21 AM   #51
Die Cut Diva

Default You don't need to hurry!

I'm still planning on going when I'm down for Cats!!! Marilyn said I can come any day between 9am-9pm!

I have some girls here who won't be done with their cards until the end of the month!

Lynn,

I'm not going to be able to make it on Sat. for the PC party, but I'll look on line, because there are a few things I want.

Jane
Old 02-06-2009, 01:28 PM   #52
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
I'm still planning on going when I'm down for Cats!!! Marilyn said I can come any day between 9am-9pm!

I have some girls here who won't be done with their cards until the end of the month!

Lynn,

I'm not going to be able to make it on Sat. for the PC party, but I'll look on line, because there are a few things I want.

Jane
No problem, Saturdays are a busy day for many people!

I probably won't be able to go Wed/Fri to drop off cards because I am actually scheduled to work 4 days this week. At least I will get a few more paychecks until the big layoff.

What kind of Valentine boxes were made? Is there a picture of them anywhere?
Old 02-07-2009, 05:28 AM   #53
Die Cut Diva

Are you on the schedule for layoff???

I heard they were cutting 1100 jobs, and was thinking about you . Have they told the people that they are letting go, or will it be a "did you get a pink slip in your paycheck" day???

I'm going to take pictures and post before I drop them off! I don't have them filled with candy and stuff, yet!
Old 02-07-2009, 06:48 AM   #54
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
I heard they were cutting 1100 jobs, and was thinking about you . Have they told the people that they are letting go, or will it be a "did you get a pink slip in your paycheck" day???

I'm going to take pictures and post before I drop them off! I don't have them filled with candy and stuff, yet!
I will be one of the 415 hourly production workers. My guess is that I will work through March and then be done. We didn't get any "official" date yet. Hopefully, my dh will be safe for awhile, he works there too. He has been there just over 8 years.

I cannot wait to see your pictures!
Old 02-07-2009, 01:57 PM   #55
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkle View Post
I will be one of the 415 hourly production workers. My guess is that I will work through March and then be done. We didn't get any "official" date yet. Hopefully, my dh will be safe for awhile, he works there too. He has been there just over 8 years.

I cannot wait to see your pictures!

You are both in my prayers, then! As are many in this country! I hope the stimulas package gets passed soon, so at least there may be other jobs to get!!! Right now, nobody is hiring!!!

Ever thought about going back to school??? I know that there is a critical need for both teachers of math and science, and also nurses!!! Teaching requires a 4 or more year degree, but nursing is only a year for an LPN or 18 months for a RN. I think that there is funding in the new stimulas package for people who go back to school for either!
Old 02-11-2009, 11:56 AM   #56
Kookie Creator

Hi Jane: I was wondering if your project is in need of some plain 12x12 paper. The last time I sent patterned paper but I realized I have solid color paper I can send too. Please let me know if you'd like me to send it. SARGE
Old 02-11-2009, 02:21 PM   #57
Die Cut Diva

Talking That would be GREAT!!!

Hey Sarge,

If you have plain 12x12 paper, that would be great!!! I am sending in a huge shoebox of scraps, in all shapes and sizes. They are left over from making cards and scrapbook pages for swaps. 20 squares the same color and size--that kind of thing. I am also sending a ream of white cardstock, but it is 8 1/2 x 11.

I'm going Friday with the stuff I currently have, but plan on going again at the end of the month. SO, don't be afraid to join up!!! cinman is already making St. Patty's items, so we will have to go in March as well!!!

I'm going to try to post the pictures of the stuff that is going on Friday in another post. I've never added pictures to posts before, so if it doesn't work, I'll make a special folder in my gallery.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:31 PM   #58
Die Cut Diva

Default pictures

It's going to take a while, I can't remember how to resize the images. Maybe I can save them to mySpace, and then upload from there.

I wish I was more computer literate!!! I try, but if I don't do it all the time, I forget how to do it. LOL! I don't have alzheimer's, I have some-timers!!!!
Old 02-11-2009, 03:29 PM   #59
Die Cut Diva

Default pix--take 2

OK, I downloaded the files, but don't know where they are???

Do they appear when you hit submit???

The first picture is ALL the things that I'm bringing to RMD House!!!

The second picture is what is in one of the Valentine boxes. The one in the back left corner with the handles is the one that cinman made. I made the smaller box next to it. (I only had to make 8, because Cindy made 30!!!!)

The third picture is all 38 of the boxes!
Attached Thumbnails
pic-1.jpg   pix-2.jpg   pix-3.jpg  

Last edited by janiekay; 02-11-2009 at 03:39 PM..
Old 02-11-2009, 03:30 PM   #60
Die Cut Diva

Default take 3

here are a few more pictures!

I'll edit them and let you know what is in each picture after it posts!

The first picture is the card box, including cards made by me and Sparkle.

The second picture is a few of the items for the scrapbooking program. I made the ribbon boxes from velveta boxes, made cardboard spools, and then put all the ribbon that Sarge sent and I added on the spools. I also repackaged some of the stuff that Sarge sent. I had some extra little brad cases and sorter stackers.

The third picture is alot of the embellishments for the scrap program.
Attached Thumbnails
pix-4.jpg   pix-5.jpg   pix-6.jpg  

Last edited by janiekay; 02-11-2009 at 03:43 PM..
Old 02-11-2009, 03:34 PM   #61
Die Cut Diva

Default take 4

the next few

#1 is more embellishments from Sarge and me!

#2 is more embellishments and some scrap paper and cardstock for the scrapbook program.

#3 is the box of stuff from sarge!
Attached Thumbnails
pix-7.jpg   pix-8.jpg   pix-9.jpg  

Last edited by janiekay; 02-11-2009 at 03:45 PM..
Old 02-11-2009, 03:35 PM   #62
Die Cut Diva

Default last ones

2 more

The first picture is a flip through of ALL the 12x12 paper that sarge sent!!!

The second photo is the box of cards that cinman sent! The card is on the left, and the envy is on the right. Beautifully packaged, including stamps!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
pix-10.jpg   pix-11.jpg  

Last edited by janiekay; 02-11-2009 at 03:47 PM..
Old 02-12-2009, 10:50 AM   #63
Glitter Queen

are you still collecting cards and supplies?
Old 02-12-2009, 07:23 PM   #64
Die Cut Diva

Default YES!!!!

I'm going to drop some things off tomorrow, but I am going again at the end of the month.

I do plan on keeping them supplied with cards and scrapbooking supplies as long as they are using them.

The house in Madison, WI has been adopted by a few stampin up gals, so that one is taken care of. After I get Milwaukee taken care of, I plan to call the one in Marshfield and see what they need/want.

Then, it's one house at a time! I would love to get people interested in adopting houses in their area, too!!!

SO, the answer is YES, YES, YES!!!
Old 02-14-2009, 08:15 PM   #65
Die Cut Diva

Talking Everyone was thrilled!

I went to RMD house yesterday, and they were absolutely THRILLED with everything!!!

Actually, alot of the things that were sent were on their wishlist!!! Stickers, stamps for cards, velvet color posters(I got 38 to go to each of the kids with the valentine boxes!

I'll post pictures tomorrow, I'm too tired tonight! After Milwaukee, I went to Delavan to visit a good friend. We stayed up until 3AM gabbing!!! Made it home a little after lunch today, and went out with my DH for an eveining of wine and chocolate!!!

I think the wine has counteracted the chocolate!!!

Good night all!!!

OH YEAH!!!! Right before I left, I got a HUGE box in from willowby!!! It was from NY!!! I have pic of these things, as well as pics of the RMD house.

Thanks Karen!!!!!
Old 02-23-2009, 05:23 PM   #66
Die Cut Diva

Talking More scrapbook supplies from Sarge!

Hey Kay,

I got your stuff in the other day! Sorry I am so late in letting you know, but I have had a LOT of stuff on the schedule! I don't have time to post pictures tonight, but hopefully, I will post the ones from when I dropped the stuff off tomorrow.

I went to the store this weekend, and I found some cute little ceramics that you paint. I got 38 of them to go with the St. Patty's things that cinman is sending!!!

I sent a note to Marilyn to see if the cards were catching on, but have not heard back from her yet. It might be best to call, because I think you get a better responce that way! I had sent in about 25 regular sized valentines cards for any adults that wanted to use them!

I also wanted to let you ALL know how greatful I am that you have joined me in this cause! I was thrilled with the welcome that I got when I arrived at the house with the valentine packages!!!

I also wanted to let everyone know of some other items that are on the "wish list" for the Art Program at the house.

Greatest Need: Crayola Model Magic

Klutz kits, white t-shirts(adult s, m, l), other kraft kits, velvet poster pictures(I got 38 of these to go to all the kids with the Valentines!), wood picture frames, boxes and seasonal items(for kids to paint), stickers (there were several packages of stickers with the last delivery),

Also, gift certificates for Michaels, JoAnn Fabrics, and the Learning Shop!!!

Some other items that they need:

New dish towels and dish clothes, splenda and sweet n'low, AA batteries, D batteries, Flashlights, postage stamps($.42), kleenex, ziploc baggies, and gift certificates for Target, Pick N-Save, and Best Buy!

Just thought I would throw these things out there!!!

I would be thrilled if any of you would add a siggy with the link to this thread on your profile!!!

Hugs, Peace, and Blessings to you ALL!!!
Old 02-25-2009, 08:10 AM   #67
Stampin' Fool

Hey Jane,

I just wanted to let you know that I finally got the RMH box finished and am taking it to the post office tomorrow. I'm sorry about the delay in getting it to you, I've had the flu and a migrane that just won't go away and stay away . I do hope, I haven't waiting to long. Hopefully next week, I can start working on another project.

Hugs and Blessings

Old 02-25-2009, 08:58 AM   #68
Die Cut Diva

Wink Not a Problem!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinman1964 View Post
Hey Jane,

I just wanted to let you know that I finally got the RMH box finished and am taking it to the post office tomorrow. I'm sorry about the delay in getting it to you, I've had the flu and a migrane that just won't go away and stay away . I do hope, I haven't waiting to long. Hopefully next week, I can start working on another project.

Hugs and Blessings
I'm sorry to hear that you have been so sick! My DH is a doc, and he said that the flu is rampant up here in WI!!! I used to get migraines, so I know exactly what you are going through! You're in my thoughts and prayers, sweetie!

Don't worry, I will be going again closer to St. Pat's again!!! So, you're not late at all!

I just go an e-mail from Marilyn, the House Director! Here it is:

Hi Jane,
Thank you for your note and the names and addresses of those responsible for the wonderful donation.
Holiday cards would be great, I hear folks talking about that. Everyone took Valentine cards and were delighted to get them.
Thank you so much for your hard work and dedication with this project.
I will let you know if someone has a special request.
Marilyn

***Please note new email address***
mbrender@rmhcmilwaukee.com
Marilyn Brender
Director of House Operations
Ronald McDonald House Charities of Eastern Wisconsin
8948 Watertown Plank Rd.
Wauwatosa, WI 53226
Phone: 414-475-5333 ext.101
Fax: 414-475-6342

JUST A THOUGHT: I did not include any kids birthday cards in the package of cards that I sent. (I just don't have any!!!) If someone reads this and has some kids cards they would like to send in, I would be VERY GRATEFUL!!!
Old 02-27-2009, 07:56 PM   #69
Die Cut Diva

Talking Things came in from Cinman!!!

Hi Cindy,

Just a quick note to let you know that I got your box today!!! You amaze me girl!!! The prayer stands are so cute, and I love the cards that are all ready to decorate! The kids will have fun with those! I can't believe you got all that stuff done! WOW!!! Easter cards, St. Patty's Day cards already made, plus St. Patty's cards for the kids to make up! Plus little shamrocks for the kids to wear! and little prayer stands for the kids night stand!!! I'm still shaking my head in disbelief!!! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!

I took pictures of all the stuff, but am having trouble uploading to my computer, so I haven't been able to post them. Hopefully my DH will have a few minutes on Sunday to help me out. He's the geek in the family!

So, tomorrow, I'm taking a big box from Cinman, a big box from Sarge, and a big box from me! I'm meeting samanthasmom and twinkle tomorrow in Milwaukee, so I may even have more cards for RMD house!!!

I'll talk to you soon!
Old 03-01-2009, 04:44 AM   #70
Die Cut Diva

Default We went to RMD House yesterday!

Lynn(twinkle), Cindy(samanthasmom) and I had a "girls" day yesterday, which included lunch at the historic Astor Hotel, seeing CATS at the Marcus, and then going to the RMD house!!!

Cindy brought a huge bag of cards that she made with Samantha, I got some craft stuff to bring, Lynn already had brought down a large donation of stamp sets, the new scrapbookiing stuff sent by Kay(sarge), and the large box of cards, prayer stands, shamrock pins, and cards all ready for the kids to decorate for St. Patricks day made by the other Cindy(cinman1964)!!!

I felt like Santa at Christmas dropping the stuff off!

Thanks everyone for EVERYTHING!!!

Last edited by janiekay; 03-01-2009 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: added stuff!
Old 03-01-2009, 07:32 AM   #71
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Bump!

Jane, it was so nice to go to the Ronald McDonald house with you yesterday! The facility is very warm and comfortable. What a treasure! I won't get into the horror of dealing with a life-threatening illnesses in childhood, but I want people to know every act of kindness toward these families is deeply appreciated.

Let's keep bumping for the RMD House ladies!
Old 03-01-2009, 09:50 AM   #72
Die Cut Diva

Talking I finally have some pictures!

WOW! Would you look at my new siggy! Lynn and Sue helped me change it!!! I'm blonde and couldn't figure it out for myself! LOL!!!

Here are pictures of some of Karen's(willowby) stuff, and my friend Allegra's cards!
Attached Thumbnails
img_0225_1.jpg   img_0226_1.jpg   img_0228_1.jpg  

Last edited by janiekay; 03-01-2009 at 09:53 AM..
Old 03-01-2009, 09:58 AM   #73
Die Cut Diva

Default More Pictures!

Here are more pictures that I took the last trip! More stuff from Karen(willowby), and the display of valentines day cards that they put out in the main floor of the Ronald McDonald House! All of the Valentines cards were used!
Attached Thumbnails
img_0229_1.jpg   img_0230_1.jpg   img_0231_1.jpg  
Old 03-01-2009, 10:01 AM   #74
Die Cut Diva

Default more~

more pix of the RMD House in Milwaukee. There are 38 rooms, and they are ALWAYS full.

These are of the main floor. It looks like a big lodge! I LOVE the fireplace!
Attached Thumbnails
img_0232_1.jpg   img_0233_1.jpg   img_0234_1.jpg  
Old 03-01-2009, 07:18 PM   #75
Die Cut Diva

Default More pictures!

Here is the St. Patricks things we brought in! The first picture is the cards that cinman made, the second is just the huge box that shows the actual amount of cards! The 3rd picture is a picture of some more of the stuff that sarge sent.
Attached Thumbnails
img_0242_2.jpg   img_0243_2.jpg   img_0244_2.jpg  
Old 03-01-2009, 07:20 PM   #76
Die Cut Diva

Default a few more

The first 2 pictures is more of the stuff that sarge sent! The 3rd is some of the stuff I got!
Attached Thumbnails
img_0245_2.jpg   img_0246_2.jpg   img_0247_2.jpg  
Old 03-01-2009, 07:25 PM   #77
Die Cut Diva

Default Even more!

These are the last 3 pictures! This is more of the stuff I got! I'm so sad, because I forgot to take pictures of the beautiful cards that Cindy and Samantha made . They brought a big gift bag full of cards
Attached Thumbnails
img_0248_2.jpg   img_0249_2.jpg   img_0250_2.jpg  
Old 03-02-2009, 11:26 AM   #78
Die Cut Diva

Talking Kay,

Your other box came today! I assume it is the magazines you were telling me about!!! My DH just brought it home from the PO!!! If any of you want to send things UPS, let me know and I will give you my actual home address! I was just telling Cinman that my town is soooo small, they don't deliver mail to your home!

I also just got an e-mail from Marilyn at Ronald McDonald House, and they were THRILLED with everything! She wrote:

What a wonderful surprise to see all of the great cards and goodies for our guests. Thank you so very much for all you do to ease the burden of everyday life for our guests. The cards are so greatly appreciated by all of our guests! I will make a special basket for the St. Patrick’s Day cards and give the other things to our art person.

Thank you again Jane. You are so sweet.

Marilyn

She does know that I don't make everything and that this has literally been a coast to coast effort! Kay is in FL, Cindy (1) is in TX, Sparkle is in WA, Karen/Sue, is in NY, and Cindy (2), Lynn, Allegra(a freind who gave me cards) are all from WI!!! We cover every coast--East, West, North and South!!! I find that AMAZING!!!

Last edited by janiekay; 03-02-2009 at 11:32 AM..
Old 03-03-2009, 03:01 PM   #79
Die Cut Diva

Default Bumping

Bumping for Ronald!
Old 03-05-2009, 11:59 AM   #80
Die Cut Diva

BUMP!!!