Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #1
Rubber Obsessor

Default RAK Request for my grandparents...

Hi Everyone! I am not a frequent poster on the boards, so I realize that very few of you will recognize my name. I am a Stampin' Up demonstrator in Connecticut and am asking for your help because truthfully, I am not sure where else to turn or what to do. It's typically difficult for me to reach out with personal issues but I've always believed, and shared with my friends and customers, that touching someone's life with a handmade card can do wonders. And also that stamping is therapy (smile!). I know that RAK's (Random Acts of Kindness) may not be as popular as they once were, but I'm asking for one this evening. It is for my grandparents, ages 91 and 89. I'll try to keep this as brief as possible (but I'm afraid it may be hard).

Several months ago, my grandfather chose to have surgery on an aortic aneurysm. The surgery went well and his physical issues were resolved, but emotionally and mentally, he has not been the same since. Once the most kind, capable, soft-spoken gentleman I have ever known, he has now been replaced by a confused, depressed, and violent stranger. He and my grandmother have always lived independently in their own home, and recently he has been engaging in frightening behavior and even threatening my grandmother. I won't go into details, but as a last resort a few days ago, he was admitted into a psychiatric ward at a local hospital and is there currently. We are unsure as to whether his decline is related to anesthesia, the surgery, or sudden onset of age-related dementia; no matter what the cause it is devastating.

I know that the end of life is often difficult and painful, but I am heartbroken that these two wonderful people are going through this situation and losing their dignity in the process. Both my grandmother and grandfather have always been my heroes and to say that they have been angels here on earth is an understatement. They spent their lives caring for and serving others, whether it be through delivering Meals on Wheels (they did this for over 20 years!), taking neighbors and friends to doctor appointments, helping to tend to the homes, gardens (and often financial bills) of people in need, serving at church, contributing to charities, and basically spreading love and kindness to just about everyone who they came in contact with. My grandmother was also known for frequently sending cards and writing letters, for which she had a gift. The vast majority of the individuals whose lives they touched are now gone, although my grandparents now live near my mother so she helps them (when my grandmother allows it!).

Other than keeping my grandparents in my prayers, and writing and calling, there is very little I can do from across the country and it is incredibly painful. I know my grandmother is devastated and saddened beyond belief, but she is carrying on with stoicism and bravery as she always has. My mother mentioned that while he was still at home (and I'm not sure when or if he will return), one of the few bright spots in my grandfather's day was when my grandmother brought in the mail. Of course, one does not receive many personal items in the mail anymore and so, my request....

I would love to flood my grandparents' mailbox with handmade cards. My grandmother would probably be embarrassed to know that I had shared anything personal about their situation, so just a brief sentence - thinking of you...to brighten your day...prayers are with you...would be perfect. It could be signed "Sara's friend" or "a stamping friend" or whatever. It's one of the few ideas I can come up with to brighten their lives and help ease the pain of what they are going through. Their names are Helen and Ted Brown, and their address is 17 Galemont Drive, Flagler Beach, FL 32136.

Thank you to each of you who have taken the time to read this long post....just sharing my story has made me feel better. If you are able to send a card, it would mean more than you could possibly know. Your thoughts and prayers for my grandparents are so very much appreciated.

Sara Cimbaro

Last edited by Sarac; 10-09-2012 at 08:11 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-12-2012, 08:01 AM   #2
Die Cut Diva

Sara, it will be a great privilege to brighten your grandparents' day with cheery cards!

They are in my prayers.

~ Rita

Last edited by Stamping Servant; 10-14-2012 at 05:19 AM..
Old 10-13-2012, 08:49 AM   #3
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you so much, Rita!
Old 10-15-2012, 11:08 AM   #4
Stazon Splitcoast

This is so sad. I hope and pray their days will improve. I have a card ready to mail.
My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Old 10-19-2012, 07:29 AM   #5
Rubber Obsessor

Dorothy - Thank you so much! I appreciate it, and am still hoping for additional cards to go out!
Old 10-19-2012, 09:20 AM   #6
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I just sent a note of prayers their way, Sara. It's sweet of you to do this on their behalf, and I sure hope it brightens things a bit for them
Taylored Expressions Release Team
Proud Fan Club Member
Old 10-19-2012, 03:45 PM   #7
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you so much, Cassie! There are a bunch of angels here on Splitcoast! My grandmother has been receiving cards already and per my mom, they are making her so happy!
Old 10-27-2012, 12:34 PM   #8
Gabfest Goddess

Will send one tomorrow.
www.icantbelieveimadethat.blogspot.com
Proud RAK Member
"Always do your best. What you plan now, you will harvest later." Og Mandino
Old 10-28-2012, 06:28 PM   #9
Kookie Creator

Dear Sara: I have been through these types of changes with parents and it is very difficult for all concerned. I will keep you in my prayers. As I am only a zipcode or two south of your grandparents, my card should reach them very quickly. Kay
Old 10-29-2012, 06:42 PM   #10
Rubber Obsessor

Kay - thank you so much! They are still having a really difficult time and the cards have been making such a difference!!
Old 11-02-2012, 03:13 PM   #11
Die Cut Diva

I will send a card out to your grandparents in the next day or so.

My little corner of the internet: Robin's Ramblings
"3-2-1 Blast Off Ho" :D
Old 11-02-2012, 07:04 PM   #12
Stampin' Fool

Sara, Thank you for giving us a chance to do what we love to do-brighten people's lives in any way we can, which for many of us is through sending hand made cards to people whose life could be cheered up a bit. I will get a card out first thing in the morning. If grandpa is still in hospital, would it be good to send one to the house for her and one to the hospital for him? If so, please send his address. Jill
Old 11-06-2012, 11:45 AM   #13
Stampin' Fool

Sent two cards today. One for your grandmother and one for your grandfather. Hope they can bring just a tad bit of cheer into a very difficult time. Jill
Old 11-08-2012, 01:37 PM   #14
Inking Addict

Hi Sara,I am not a frequent poster but i read your post today and was so touched by your story...my heart goes out to you and your family.
Will be popping cards in the post tomorrow to your grandparents from Scotland.
Big hugs and love
xoxox
http://eclecticpaperie.com/
Old 11-25-2012, 06:51 PM   #15
Rubber Obsessor

Default Thank you!

I just wanted to send out another thank you to those of you who have sent cards, and who continue to respond to my post and request for mail for my grandparents. You all are the best, and every time I speak to my grandmother she mentions how much she has loved the cards and how she is continuing to receive them. Although my grandfather's condition has not improved, I know that both of their spirits have been lifted by your kindness. Please know that you all, and your cards, are so very much appreciated!
Old 12-04-2012, 08:35 AM   #16
Compulsive Stamper

I'll be sending them a card today! Hope things are going better for them.
Shelley in Idaho
Old 12-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #17
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via Yahoo to SBinGA

I so understand what you are going through! I could have written this same story last year about my grandparents. He went through the same thing at age 88. My prayers are with you, your grandparents, and your family! I'll get a card out for you!
*Check out my Gallery!!! *My Blog *My Stampin Up Store *Member #42241 *Come join us in the PIF Threads: $5; $10; Big Wish; Recycle Wish
Old 12-17-2012, 07:13 PM   #18
Insane Embellisher

My pleasure - I'll send one tomorrow!
Old 01-08-2013, 10:24 AM   #19
Rubber Obsessor

Default Update on RAK Request for Grandparents...

Hi Everyone! I wanted to begin by once again thanking you all, from the very bottom of my heart, for the many cards you have sent to my grandparents. I was able to visit them in Florida over Christmas, and my grandmother had a big stack of cards to show me (and from what I heard from my mom, she's been showing them off to everyone!). Every card was beautiful and means so very much - each one of you who sent one is an absolute angel and I want you to know that the cards and your notes and prayers were a huge blessing to my grandmother.

I am sad to share that my grandfather passed away last night. Although he will be missed greatly, my family is relieved that his suffering is over....when I saw him last, on January 1, he was unresponsive and did not show any recognition of me (a decline since I had seen him last several days before). I know that he is now in heaven and that his health is completely restored there, and my grandmother is going to do her best to be brave and carry on without him.

Again, please know how much I, and my grandmother, appreciate the cards and your notes of encouragement. They have meant more than I can possibly express!

Love and thanks,
Sara
Old 01-08-2013, 11:24 AM   #20
Gabfest Goddess

So sorry to hear of your loss Sara, will keep you all in my prayers.
www.icantbelieveimadethat.blogspot.com
Proud RAK Member
"Always do your best. What you plan now, you will harvest later." Og Mandino
Old 01-08-2013, 01:41 PM   #21
Die Cut Diva

Sara, I'm truly so sorry to hear of your grandfather's passing. Thank you for keeping us updated during his illness and thank you for sharing the assurance you have that all of you will one day be reunited with your grandfather in heaven. May the Lord comfort and strengthen all of you.

~ Rita

Last edited by Stamping Servant; 01-08-2013 at 01:45 PM..
Old 01-08-2013, 03:30 PM   #22
Insane Embellisher

My sympathy to you and your family. I will send your grandma a card in the morning. Prayers....
Jetta