Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-19-2010, 06:06 PM   #1
Rubber Obsessor

Default RAK needed

Hello, I have never done this before & feel kind of selfish asking but... my family is being hit yet again by debilitating challenges. Last August my DD contracted H1N1 (swine flu). She was critically ill for weeks: had 5 operations on her right lung, other procedures to insert chest tubes & even EKMO to keep her other organs going while her lungs were trying to be saved. She had over 350 units of blood products in less than 6 weeks time. She was kept in a chemical coma for 5 weeks & it took several more weeks for her to come out of the fog. She needed a trach for many weeks which has taken her vocal ability away (previously she had wanted to perform). She had to learn how to walk & talk all over again. It took weeks to regain strength (she is still not 100%). As you can imagine this was extremely stressful for our family. I struggled to get catastrophic leave to hold my job (& ins); my husband's company told him not to worry, be there for your child, but then 3 months after she left the hospital, they laid him off without reason. When she left the hospital, she needed extensive PT, medical tests & doctors' monitoring. Then I had a severe gall-bladder attack & had to have immediate surgery. No one to keep up with appts while hubby trying to be back at work full-time. Next, I have more medical complications & need another surgery 6 weeks later on another part of my body. Then 4 weeks after that, I have to return to work or go on leave without pay. In addition, DD has a history of bipolar & depression before all this. As she improves physically, her other problems are returning tenfold. My husband & (live-in) grown son refuse to recognize that DD has mental health issues & continue to insist & ridicule to get her to "straighten up". God has his reasons for continuing to test me & my family & I know he will see us through but in the meantime... it would really help my sanity to have some happy mail instead of medical bills in my mailbox. I know "I can do all things thru Christ who strengthens me". But staying resolute in the face of all the resistance and booby-trapping is tearing me down. Please help me...
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-20-2010, 08:30 AM   #2
Pearl-ExPert

Would love to drop you some happy mail... but need an addy. Pls post so that others can send as well. I will be keeping you in prayer. You are right, God can will will see you through. We ARE overcomers.
Old 07-21-2010, 05:16 AM   #3
Rubber Obsessor

Default Blessed by your kindnesses

My info:

Gery Benton
241 Kelly Road
West Monroe, LA 71292
Old 07-21-2010, 10:30 AM   #4
Die Cut Diva

Your card will be in the mail tomorrow ... you're in my prayers.

~ Rita
Old 07-25-2010, 07:03 AM   #5
Stazon Splitcoast

I will send you a card. You have been through such a rough patch. I cannot imagine how i would deal with all of that. You have so much inner strength in you!
BLESS YOU.

I will pray that good things start to come your way.
Old 07-25-2010, 04:56 PM   #6
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you for reading my post and your kind thoughts. There really is so much more to deal with than I mentioned. I LOVE to come to SCS and lose myself in the ideas and comments and the kind people.

Re:being strong = you should see my FB page; I have posted to constantly remind myself that I am stronger than I think I am.

GeryB
God is my strength.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:34 PM   #7
Rubber Obsessor

I received 4 absolutely beautiful cards today from some special ladies. THANK YOU so much for taking the time to do this for me. They put a big smile on my face... and guess what? Not one bill was in the mailbox with them! LOL

GeryB
Old 07-29-2010, 08:47 AM   #8
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Challenge Hostess

This is My Story.

Hi Gery.......

Oh my, what a time you have had! I would be most pleased to send you a card next week.......Hang in there, glad you are receiving some happy mail!

Hugs...
Cindy
Old 08-03-2010, 04:42 AM   #9
THE Queen Nut Extraordinaire

Default I applaud you for being so strong Gery!

Obviously for all you have been through, with your DD's illness, your own and sometimes not always understanding from family members, but you are that strong that you knew how to ask for help.

I am moved beyond tears about that, you asked, when alot of us just shut down. You may not know this, but you have inspired me right here at 8:39 am this morning!

I wish I could hug you, but I can't do it litterally. So I will do the next best thing and yes, send you and your daughter a card.

Be proud and stand tall my dear, your are blessed here.

Hugs, Peggyxo
Old 08-03-2010, 10:43 AM   #10
Stazon Splitcoast

I can't even begin to imagine what you are going thru! God bless you and your family! You will be in my prayers! Hugs!

Old 08-03-2010, 01:55 PM   #11
Matboard Maniac

Gery, I hope my card arrived safely and brought a smile to your face. My son asks me every day if the "sad lady" got "his" card. You're in our thoughts, not just his.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:17 PM   #12
Embossing Fanatic

I mailed a card this morning and have been praying for you! I'm so glad you asked for a card!
Old 08-03-2010, 05:03 PM   #13
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerkanaTyr View Post
Gery, I hope my card arrived safely and brought a smile to your face. My son asks me every day if the "sad lady" got "his" card. You're in our thoughts, not just his.
Yes, I received your card yesterday; I smiled and teared up at the same time. Tell your sweetie pie that he DID help make the sad lady happy! I was so touched by your card..

To all of you.. I am so blessed to be a member of SCS and cyber friends with so many of you great people. Things are so bad, unsure and scary. I just don't have many people I trust to talk to about all the things that have and are going on. It moves my heart to know that there are people I DON'T EVEN KNOW who are sending love and encouragement my way. Blessings to you all.

Gery
Old 08-03-2010, 07:04 PM   #14
Stazon Splitcoast

You are in our thoughts and prayers. May you continue to have the inner strength to deal with so much. I cannot imagine it. And may your family have more understanding and give you support. Hugs...
My blog: http://cardsbydorothy.blogspot.com/

Old 08-04-2010, 02:30 PM   #15
Rubber Obsessor

You are in my prayers for much better times real soon. Keep the faith....trust in God. A card is made and will get it in the mail this week.

hugs,

Proud Fan Club Member
Proud Member of Schirmcat's Naughty List
Member of Send Love Today
Old 08-05-2010, 06:18 AM   #16
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Challenge Hostess

This is My Story.

My card went postal today Gery.....hugs to you. And Hang in there!!!
Old 08-12-2010, 04:19 PM   #17
Rubber Obsessor

Just checking in to say THANK YOU SO MUCH for all the happy mail I've received. I received one today & showed my husband (I've shown him some of the others - he was getting curious when I began to get several..lol). He has been impressed by the craftsmanship, places of origin & thoughtfulness of fellow cardmakers. He's like.. "Who is sending you these cards? Why?" YEAH.. we ROCK!

BTW.. my life is still in major turmoil & about to get worse.. school starts next Monday (I'm a teacher). I can't begin to tell you how much your PRAYERS & thoughtfulness mean to me. I feel like I have no support system here but you guys & your cards are helping me so much. Please continue to pray for us.. we are still in great need of strength. My daughter is fighting us every step of the way & treating us terribly in the process. She still needs so much but refuses to see those needs.

A bright spot... my son got a JOB! Not just any job, mind you.. the one he's been chasing for over 7 months. AND, he is accepted into the program to be an EMT. Thank you, Lord.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:12 PM   #18
Die Cut Diva

Gery ... I'm so glad that you are keeping us updated so that we can pray more effectively for you and your family.

What wonderful news about your son's job!!

Blessings,

~ Rita
Old 08-14-2010, 06:27 AM   #19
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Challenge Hostess

This is My Story.

Little baby steps to a better spot! That's what is happening.......I love that you are loving the cards......SCSer's are the best! Hang in there, your daughter will turn it around, I just know it! Congrats to your son!
Old 08-14-2010, 09:10 AM   #20
Stazon Splitcoast

Gery, I just read about all the turmoil in your life....I am so sorry about all this and feel so bad for you. Health wise I have been very fortunate.
My son when he was younger he had a lot of depression problems which led him into many problems off and on with the law...which was a hughe strain on our realtionship. But thank the lord he met a girl that has changed his life around. So I do believe in the saying *time heals all*
I wish you the very best in your life too.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:01 AM   #21
Rubber Obsessor

Got more happy mail yesterday.. Also, thanks for the encouraging words. This struggle started long before the H1N1.. Keep praying.. Thank you all.

GeryB
Old 08-15-2010, 02:59 PM   #22
Stazon Splitcoast

Gery,
I'm so sorry to hear all you are being challenged with. I'm sending a card from OH.
I'm a teacher and we start back on the 23rd. Blessings and hugs to you.
Sue

My Website
Cards For A Cause
Old 08-20-2010, 06:35 AM   #23
Insane Embellisher

Gery: I've been moved by your situation and have added you to my prayer list. My youngest son has ADD and I can understand the struggle you've had with your DD. PTL that he's now doing much better....hang in there, sister!

Congrats also to your son on his recent successes!

I'll be sending a card, too. So glad that your trips to the mailbox are happier!

Blessings,
Kat
"Be Still and Know That I Am God" Ps. 46:10
Old 09-11-2010, 07:14 AM   #24
Rubber Obsessor

Default another request

First, thank you all for the wonderful cards, the prayers & the encouragement. It means so much...

DD is in school (it's a struggle). I caught crud from my students & have been sick for a week. I immediately started worrying about how to protect DD - her immunities are not good at all. She seems to be having respiratory problems anyway. Please pray that she is protected from all the illnesses & germs she will be exposed to.

Also.. may I ask that you pray for my school family & its community? We were hit with horrendous tragedies yesterday involving two of MY students (both 15 yo boys). One went missing Thurs night & was found Fri AM & had committed suicide. The other was arrested at school for supposedly killing his parents that morning. These boys were in the same hour. I am reeling with shock & disbelief. Please ask God to strengthen me & give me the ability to comfort my students & others on Monday.

Please pray for the youth of our country. In these troubling times, they exist in a bubble of their own - doing adult things but still being children. They don't see that there is hope & that answers can be looked for WITH SUPPORT from others. Parents, please love your children & TELL them that they are loved & precious to you, that nothing is so bad that they can't depend on you.

In our world today, so much is negative & violent & selfish. While we as adults struggle to understand, how can they without support & guidance? If you know kids that need someone, step up & BE that someone. See the good, please.

GeryB
Old 09-11-2010, 08:10 AM   #25
Stazon Splitcoast

Gerry,
Praying for you and your community as you walk through this tragic time. No words can comfort but know that God's arms are around you to help you with each step. What a cry for help for our youth and the world in general. They are all lost unless someone steps up and tells them about Jesus and lends and ear to listen to them. None of us is an island. God made us to be connected. We as Christians need to do more of that. Thanks for the reminder.
Hugs,
Sue

My Website
Cards For A Cause
Old 09-11-2010, 09:19 AM   #26
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Hello

Gerry, Oh!! When I read this my heart went out for you. I have a nephew that is a teacher too. And I know his heart just breaks when things like this happen. It takes soooooo much strength from you teachers do deal with this....My prayers are really with you...
Old 10-15-2010, 12:36 PM   #27
Embossing Fanatic

Default need an addie-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldumont999 View Post
Would love to drop you some happy mail... but need an addy. Pls post so that others can send as well. I will be keeping you in prayer. You are right, God can will will see you through. We ARE overcomers.

where is the addie for this precious sister?

t.k.
Old 10-15-2010, 06:45 PM   #28
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by imakindergartner View Post
where is the addie for this precious sister?

t.k.
Go up to the top and see post #3...

Thank you all so much. DD and DS are doing fairly well now. DD still got sick and had to go to the doctor 3 times in 8 days. She will always have to be very careful.

My school situation is the major challenge now. But the Lord is so good... he will bring me and my family through the darkness.

I would love to get more happy mail..
Old 03-14-2011, 07:19 AM   #29
Rubber Obsessor

Default An update if you care to read...

Hello friends... I came across one of the cards I received because of this thread and had to check in with you. I still think about you and your show of love and support from the fall with heartfelt thanks.

Well, I am not at school today.. going to the doctor in an hour. I have bronchitis and it's kicking my backside so back to the doc I go. Gonna ask for the "super get well now" shot this time!

Despite all the devil's work DD got her GED and is in barber school now. She has been ill several times but continues to fight back and be well.

DS graduated from EMT school (the first time - we hear that is kind of unheard of) and passed his licensing tests the first time as well. He is still working for the medical transport company he got on with but as an EMT now. He's the official chauffeur (sp?) - did you know that is what an EMT is? He's medically trained but the Paramedic is the one who does the decision making and hands-on. DS gets to "assist" but it depends on the medic he is with as to how much assisting he gets to do. The Lord has put my DS on his true path for sure. He loves it and is happy to go to work and prides himself on doing and learning more each day.

My job has been a nightmare. I am glad I am close to retirement - swimming... swimming... swimming.

My husband is still unemployed. He's trying to do different things but...
Alcohol surely doesn't help.

I went back to counseling - the Lord provided (there is no separate mental health deductible now)!

Please continue to pray. Thank you. G
Old 03-14-2011, 08:23 AM   #30
Inking Addict

Oh my dear, I can so relate, we also have been thru what you are going thru. And it just doesn't seem to stop.

I would love to send a card but most important I am praying for you and your family!
Old 03-15-2011, 10:32 AM   #31
Rubber Obsessor

Default :-)

Thank you for your kindness. Will say one for you too!

GeryB