Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2008, 04:14 PM   #81
Stazon Splitcoast

My thoughts are with Jack and his family during this ordeal. I have friends who lost their daughter to this disease 6 years ago. We need to continue to fight to help find a cure!

Are cards still to be mailed to the UK address?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-12-2008, 12:38 AM   #82
Pearl-ExPert

Yes please Tilly

I am sorry about your friend's loss.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:49 PM   #83
Die Cut Diva

I would like to send more cards but I'm a little leary as the first box I sent had 250 plus cards and envelopes and cost a small fortune to mail. Is there any way to find out if they were received before I send another? Thanks.

My Gallery
Old 02-25-2008, 05:58 AM   #84
Pearl-ExPert

Sorry Sarah Zoe I have been away for a week- I do remember having a conversation with Yvonne about them receiving a HUGE package of cards- which I think were yours.
I will email her and confirm.

Thanks Sam
Old 02-25-2008, 10:24 AM   #85
Pearl-ExPert

Jack's grandfather passed away- and so Jack has returned to the UK- naturally this has been a huge blow to the family moral, so please keep them in your thoughts.
If you want to send a card please write to

The Brown Family
42 Bedford Avenue
Barnet
Herts
EN5 2EP
United Kingdom
Old 02-26-2008, 04:59 PM   #86
Pearl-ExPert

Still saying prayers for little Jack and still planning to send cards - have had some chaos in my life so nothing getting done right now, but well wishes and positive thoughts join my prayers that Jack will have another good outcome, permanently would be nice.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:41 AM   #87
Pearl-ExPert

Thank you Laurie- it is very good of you to continue to think of Jack when you are finding life tough.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:48 PM   #88
Pearl-ExPert

I thought you would all want to know that those of you who sent a card to the Browns at this difficult time- have done a wonderful and kind thing.
Yvonne said yesterday, that the cards and messages had given the family more strength than we can ever possibly know. So Thank you everyone who wrote to the Brown family.
Sam
Old 03-05-2008, 04:22 AM   #89
Stazon Splitcoast

I will be sending one as well. Bless them.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:47 AM   #90
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by meluvstampin View Post
I will be sending one as well. Bless them.
Thank you
Old 03-12-2008, 07:36 AM   #91
Pearl-ExPert

This is a message from Jack's mom, who has now gone to Vermont with Jack, because he isn't ready just yet to give up his fight. They have a new treatment programme running in Vermont but the fundraising needs a boost so if you can will you put the word out for the sponsored run in New York?

Jack, unable to have the chemotherapy in hospital was back at school and loving it. Outwardly he showed no signs of disease, with the exception of the pallor of his skin. After 3 years of treatment he is the same happy and loving child, as full of life as he was all those long years ago when life was once "normal". Jack has not tired of the fight. The problem is our doctors appear to have tired of the fight. And that is the conclusion I have reached with Sloan Kettering. With more and more children being diagnosed, and more and more children going to Sloan Kettering, there is less time to spend on the children who have the most aggressive disease, and less time to spend on research when there are so many more patients to see......

In the children who relapse time and again, the current therapies are only killing off the weaker cancer cells, the ones that have spread.... but a different combination of drugs is needed to then kill the stronger 'root' cells from which the weaker ones grow, spread and multiply. With the root cells left alive in the body, they re-form and begin to grow again and again

There is more research going on now, than when Jack's journey began, and that gives us reason to hope. But as always, funding is a huge problem. In Vermont something has become available which could prove invaluable for many of these children. A resource whereby diseased areas can be biopsied and the sample grown in the laboratory, then tested against numerous agents to establish which is the most effective against the particular strain of disease that child carries.

As time passes the disease changes, it evolves into a more aggressive, more resistant fiend, and in each child it is different. Until now, only certain standard chemotherapies have been used to treat the disease. The ability to test and recognise what may prove more effective for one child than another opens the door to personalised treatment... . and speeds the journey to finding the cure.

We arrived in Vermont yesterday, Sunday. And today we met Dr. Sholler. A week of tests will follow, with CT scan on Wednesday and Mibg injection... then MIBG scan on Thursday morning and Bone Marrow biopsies on Thursday afternoon. On Friday Jack will begin Nifurtimox, a radiosensitiser which should have the ability to make the cancer cells more sensitive to the chemotherapy. Thursday's scan will tell us what the position now is with the cancer, whether it has spread quickly, or whether the one cycle of chemotherapy has killed it off. The bone marrow biopsies will be tested to establish what agents may work best at clearing the marrow. By Friday we will have a better idea exactly where we stand. For now it is just nice to have a new doctor, one who has as much fight as Jack has left, and a seemingly as strong a will for Jack to live as Jack has....

Many of you who follow Jack's story could help us now. On 2nd May 2008, approximately 50 Police officers from London will fly to New York and will run over a two day period to try and help us raise funds for research at Vermont. We are still working on the www.j-a-c-k.org website, but hope by next week it will be effective with an online donation system. We need your help to help us publicise the event and help us raise funds for this vital research. Help us put up flyers, send out press releases, send emails to your contact lists at work and at home, just help us spread the news... You could help us save the lives of hundreds of children. A cure is within reach, but lack of money bars the way...
Old 03-18-2008, 02:36 PM   #92
Stazon Splitcoast

I live in Upstate NY and work at a Police Department where one of our dispatchers lost a daughter to this disease. I am going to approach the PBA to see about a donation for this needy cause!
Old 03-20-2008, 05:30 AM   #93
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by tillyhead View Post
I live in Upstate NY and work at a Police Department where one of our dispatchers lost a daughter to this disease. I am going to approach the PBA to see about a donation for this needy cause!
Thanks so much for doing that.
Sam
Old 04-04-2008, 05:12 AM   #94
Cardstock Collector

I would really like to help and send some cards for sale.
Isn't there a USA address that we could send them to. I heard the cost to mail to th UK is high. Too bad you couldn't get someone here in the US to receive these card and the family can get them when they come to the states.
Mrs. Brady

Last edited by Mrs. Brady; 04-04-2008 at 05:16 AM..
Old 04-04-2008, 08:22 AM   #95
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Brady View Post
I would really like to help and send some cards for sale.
Isn't there a USA address that we could send them to. I heard the cost to mail to th UK is high. Too bad you couldn't get someone here in the US to receive these card and the family can get them when they come to the states.
Mrs. Brady
Mrs Brady-That is why I have come on line-currently Jack and his mom are in Vermontt trying a new treatment, cards can for now be sent to them at
Jack B
Ronald McDonald House Charities of Burlington,VT
Room 9
16 South Winooski Ave.
Burlington,
VT
USA

I am working on finding an American contact but things are a little delicate at the moment as we found out today that Jack has developed a new site of disease he begins Chemo on Monday-so some RAKs would I am sure be very welcome by him mum and him.
Sam

ALSO there will be a fundraiser for JACK (a charity trying to ensure that no one else has to try and find $2million to come to the USA to try and save their child) and JackBrown Appeal for Jack's treatment. If you could take a flyer to hand out or a press release if you live in New York (the NYPD are taking part too) or can help in any way please pm me with your email address and I will send flyers or press releases to you.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:38 PM   #96
Cardstock Collector

Default Count me in

I glad you gave me a new address.
I'm not a stamper but I do make homemade card that I think you should be able to sell with the others.
I won't be able to get them out for a few days because I have a funeral and helping with a funeral meal. And also teen challenge is coming to my church on Sunday and I making BBQ and serving the meals after church. So I'm going to try really hard to get them out in the mail hopefully by Wed. at the latest that way I can get some more made up before I send them.
I'll keep him and his family in my prayers.
Good luck on the fun raiser.
P. S. I don't live in NY sorry. I live in a little town southeast of Chicago.
I'll try to help as much as I can.
Mrs. Brady
Old 04-05-2008, 06:17 AM   #97
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Brady View Post
I glad you gave me a new address.
I'm not a stamper but I do make homemade card that I think you should be able to sell with the others.
I won't be able to get them out for a few days because I have a funeral and helping with a funeral meal. And also teen challenge is coming to my church on Sunday and I making BBQ and serving the meals after church. So I'm going to try really hard to get them out in the mail hopefully by Wed. at the latest that way I can get some more made up before I send them.
I'll keep him and his family in my prayers.
Good luck on the fun raiser.
P. S. I don't live in NY sorry. I live in a little town southeast of Chicago.
I'll try to help as much as I can.
Mrs. Brady
Thank you so much for making the time for Jack and his family
Sam
Old 04-05-2008, 12:02 PM   #98
Pearl-ExPert

So glad you posted a US address - I will mail my little stack this Friday, payday. Best wishes for this to clear up and for Jack to recover.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:27 AM   #99
Stazon Splitcoast

bumping so more great SCS'ers can help out while there is an address in the states to mail cards to (the following information was copied from a post above)

currently Jack and his mom are in Vermontt trying a new treatment, cards can for now be sent to them at:

Jack B
Room 9
16 South Winooski Ave.
Burlington,
VT
USA

Mine are going postal today with good thoughts being sent Jack's way as he begins a new round of chemo.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:39 PM   #100
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks Tilly- I am waiting on a photo to send you the press release.

Sam
Old 04-11-2008, 06:16 AM   #101
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeaddictsam View Post
Thanks Tilly- I am waiting on a photo to send you the press release.

Sam
I'm ready when you are Hope Jack is doing okay
Old 04-13-2008, 08:06 PM   #102
Glitter Guru

I continue to pray for Jack, and have our ladies prayer group all praying for
him. I will be sending some cards out this week. I pray God's love and
peace will surround you.

"The name of the Lord is a strong tower; the
righteous run to it and are safe."
Old 04-27-2008, 02:03 PM   #103
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pianolady1026 View Post
I continue to pray for Jack, and have our ladies prayer group all praying for
him. I will be sending some cards out this week. I pray God's love and
peace will surround you.
Thanks Judy-your prayers are appreciated, Jack has just undergone more chemo and is feeling very unwell.

Sam
Old 04-28-2008, 03:52 AM   #104
Pearl-ExPert

Hi Sam, are they still in Vermont? I have the package and the postage money!!! Going to mail it this week to Vermont unless I hear otherwise. Thanks for your caring for Jack and his family.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:31 PM   #105
Pearl-ExPert

Laurie
They are still in Vermont- thank you so much for sharing your time and resources with the Browns-it all helps it gives them a lift as much as anything and they need the lifts!

SAM
Old 05-02-2008, 09:09 AM   #106
Pearl-ExPert

Jack and the run for J-A-C-K the charity set up in his name for other children with neuroblastoma were on the BBC News24 channel today, maybe you saw him? It screens around the world but I am not sure if UK news does.

Sam
Old 05-26-2008, 12:00 AM   #107
Pearl-ExPert

Here is a link to a video of the run through New York for the boy Jack, and the charity JACK.

Sam
Old 05-26-2008, 06:08 AM   #108
Pearl-ExPert

How are things going for Jack now?
Old 05-26-2008, 04:19 PM   #109
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

Would like to help but not sure I would be able to make that many cards to sell.
If nothing else, certainly would love to send a card to encourage the family.

Also got to thinking, is there a way to make a monetary donation to their cause?

Thanks
Old 05-29-2008, 02:13 PM   #110
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcmdws View Post
How are things going for Jack now?
Jack as ever has had his good days and his bad, but the good days have been good weeks for the last fortnight. Which gives hope, he is having a resurgeum (rising again) he's just so full of beans. Cuddled by the bravery of his parents, the nagging of his sister, and the coaching of his brother he is facing the possibility of turning 7. When I first talked to his mum after his first failed chemo, we were not sure he would turn 4.

Donations to help him can be made at http://www.jackbrownappeal.org/donate.asp
Old 05-29-2008, 02:23 PM   #111
Stazon Splitcoast

Still thinking of and praying for Jack. I hope that the run in NYC went well.

Glad to hear that Jack is having more good days than bad ones lately! When is his birthday? Maybe we here at SCS could rally to send TONS of cards to him
Old 05-30-2008, 05:54 AM   #112
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Jack as ever has had his good days and his bad, but the good days have been good weeks for the last fortnight. Which gives hope, he is having a resurgeum (rising again) he's just so full of beans. Cuddled by the bravery of his parents, the nagging of his sister, and the coaching of his brother he is facing the possibility of turning 7. When I first talked to his mum after his first failed chemo, we were not sure he would turn 4.

When is Jack's birthday? I would love to send him a birthday card if that is
ok.

"The name of the Lord is a strong tower; the
righteous run to it and are safe."
Old 05-30-2008, 09:49 AM   #113
Pearl-ExPert

Location: I now live in Flin Flon, MB Waaaaaaaaaaaaay up north.
Send a message via MSN to mustardseed Send a message via Yahoo to mustardseed Send a message via Skype™ to mustardseed

I continue to keep them in my prayers and am very thankful to hear that he is doing so well. I hope and pray that it continues.

Quote:

Old 05-30-2008, 03:09 PM   #114
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks everyone-
Jack's birthday is the 1st of July, and he will turn 7, cards can be sent to

Jack B
Room 9
16 South Winooski Ave.
Burlington,
VT
USA

He really would love them. He loves getting cards, on his really bad days his mum doses out cards that he receives so he has something to cheer him up through the day.

Sam
Old 07-10-2008, 03:18 PM   #115
Pearl-ExPert

Any new word on Jack? Did he get some birthday cards?
Old 09-09-2008, 08:08 PM   #116
Pearl-ExPert

Let's bump this thread up...

There are 3 types of people in the world. Those that can count and those that can't.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:57 AM   #117
Duchess of Dork

Bumping this up for Jack & his family.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:37 PM   #118
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks guys- Jack did get a few cards thank you.
The other news is that he is now home- he has a tiny spot of NB left on his knee, but yet again he has rebounded. The spot will have some direct radio-therapy but he is home, and he is Jack, he can tell you some pretty lame jokes, and surrounded by so many Americans for so long he's developed a hint of an accent.
We don't know if there will be a happily ever after, there is a shortage of a treatment that he needs, and his cancer has proved so aggressive which makes him a low priority for the rationed supplies, but there is a Jack and the Brown Family are just trying to remember what their life was like-before cancer knocked on their door.
The truth is we don't know what to say- he has lived, a year ago we were trying to keep him alive until Christmas. I went to visit him in hospital in London, and he wasn't much bigger than the first time I saw him at 3. At Easter he fell gravely ill and then rose again, and so to Vermont went the whole family so that they could see if one last try could be had. There have been two last tries, and now he tries to go to school, to play with friends.
He lives he loves he prays. That's Jack I suppose.
His family are still struggling to meet his medical costs, but they and JACK have a new goal www.j-a-c-k.org to bring Jack's treatment regime to the UK so that the other children who have his disease can be treated. I have tried to attach a picture of him I have others.
Attached Thumbnails
jack34.jpg  
Old 09-18-2008, 07:20 PM   #119
Stazon Splitcoast

Smile

What an incredible little man and praying God will reach down with His healing hands and touch his body inside and out.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:50 PM   #120
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by caterinafmig View Post
What an incredible little man and praying God will reach down with His healing hands and touch his body inside and out.
Thank you, he is pretty special.