Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 09:24 AM   #1
Matboard Maniac

Send a message via MSN to jessicatae Send a message via Yahoo to jessicatae
Default My friend's little girl only got 2 valentines!

My friend's little daughter only got 2 valentines at school this week and she is heart broken! I am trying to get a card shower going for her to see she is loved! If anyone could please send her a valentine or two that would be awesome!! Her name is JoAnn (or Jo or JoJo). You can send c/o her mom Allison Shaffer 4711 Blount Rd #2, Baton Rouge, LA 70807. Thanks for helping to brighten this little girl's day!!

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-16-2013, 11:22 AM   #2
Kookie Creator

That is so heartbreaking. How old is the child? Since I'm also in Baton Rouge, I'll definitely send her something but would like to make it age appropriate.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:44 PM   #3
Kookie Creator

Oh, such a sweet idea! I think it would be neat to include where you're from, put something like "Someone in Pennsylvania thought of you today". I honestly think kids are more intrigued by where than who.

I'll send her something too once I know how old she is.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:28 PM   #4
Matboard Maniac

Thank you guys so much! They used to live here in Illinois and moved there just a few weeks ago. I am hoping that there was just a problem with her not being on the valentine list or something. I would hate to think this was intentional. Even if it were optional for my kids to pick only certain kids, they would give to all or none. I am sending a package out to her tomorrow from Illinois. It would be cool to mention your state, but just getting cards in the mail every day for a few days would be so awesome for her! I believe she is 9 years old, but I'm not sure when her birthday is, so she could be 10 by now. Thanks so much!!

Old 02-17-2013, 12:58 PM   #5
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicatae View Post
Thank you guys so much! They used to live here in Illinois and moved there just a few weeks ago. I am hoping that there was just a problem with her not being on the valentine list or something. I would hate to think this was intentional. Even if it were optional for my kids to pick only certain kids, they would give to all or none. I am sending a package out to her tomorrow from Illinois. It would be cool to mention your state, but just getting cards in the mail every day for a few days would be so awesome for her! I believe she is 9 years old, but I'm not sure when her birthday is, so she could be 10 by now. Thanks so much!!
I'll get a card in the mail to her, too. Things like this are very important when you are that age.

I still remember my grown son's heartbreak years and years ago on a Valentines Day. They didn't make many rules in school about this sort of thing back then. He got ONLY several cards from one bratty little girl. All of the cards were signed - "You stink." Kids can really be cruel.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 02-17-2013, 01:46 PM   #6
Kookie Creator

The school system here totally SUCKS but I do recall that when my children were that age, the teachers generally required that the kids do an "all or none" thing. Same with party invitations. That being said, I'll send her something tomorrow. I feel so bad for her.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:10 PM   #7
Kookie Creator

If you haven't already, please let the child's mother know to expect letters, etc. from strangers. I'd hate for her to think her child has picked up some weird stalkers. Especially since the return address on mine will be local - don't need the cops showing up at my door!!
Old 02-18-2013, 07:02 AM   #8
Matboard Maniac

Thanks everyone! Kmatuschka, I did ask her mom permission before I posted the address, so she knows some things might be coming for Jo.

Thank you ladies!!!

Old 02-18-2013, 07:03 AM   #9
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggainok View Post
I'll get a card in the mail to her, too. Things like this are very important when you are that age.

I still remember my grown son's heartbreak years and years ago on a Valentines Day. They didn't make many rules in school about this sort of thing back then. He got ONLY several cards from one bratty little girl. All of the cards were signed - "You stink." Kids can really be cruel.

Awww that is horrible!

Old 02-18-2013, 10:22 AM   #10
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Tickle a Teapotter Coordinator

I have one I can send tomorrow. DH doesn't "do" Valentine's and it's not really in the culture here to give them widely, so I have a lovely one that I made for a challenge a few years ago which has sat in my box ever since.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:28 AM   #11
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cook22 View Post
I have one I can send tomorrow. DH doesn't "do" Valentine's and it's not really in the culture here to give them widely, so I have a lovely one that I made for a challenge a few years ago which has sat in my box ever since.
That is so nice of you, Sabrina. What a thrill for her to get a card from Ireland!

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 02-18-2013, 10:37 AM   #12
Pearl-ExPert

I've got a fun card with a cute little girl on the front and it will be perfect to send to JoJo - it will go out in the mail tomorrow
Old 02-18-2013, 03:01 PM   #13
Die Cut Diva

JoAnn's card is ready to go out in tomorrow's mail.

~ Rita
Old 02-25-2013, 11:03 AM   #14
Matboard Maniac

Thank you all so much! I got a Facebook message from Jo's mom today. She says:

"Just wanted to let you know cards are coming in from all over the country..Jo is ecstatic! She has started hand making cards to send back! We got your package in the mail today I can not wait til they get home from school..It's like Christmas. I can not thank you enough!!"

Ooops... just got another message! lol

"She reads them all before she goes to bed..and she is using what they did on her card as a way to make her thank you notes."

Last edited by jessicatae; 02-25-2013 at 11:05 AM.. Reason: Got another FB msg from mom.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:44 PM   #15
Die Cut Diva

Jessi, what a great idea you had to organize a card shower for JoAnn!! It's wonderful to hear that these valentines have made her so happy!

~ Rita
Old 02-25-2013, 06:57 PM   #16
Matboard Maniac

Better late than never... one more into the mail tomorrow!

If I had been the teacher, I would have done everything in my power to ensure that she had gotten the full complement of cards from her class mates. That is absolutely not okay. As a student, I always gave to everyone in class, as a parent I ensure that my daughter gave to everyone in her class, and as a teacher, I ensured everyone could give to everyone in the class. If students didn't have money to buy them, I provided paper and stickers so they could make them.

Oh well, she is getting really nice ones now, so there! :P

My avatar is my beloved corgi, Cora
Old 02-27-2013, 05:36 AM   #17
Kookie Creator

I had a box of stuff that I had planned on giving to an elementary school (some stamps, ink pads, ribbon, etc.). I hadn't gotten around to actually mailing Jo's card and when I read that she was making thank you cards, I decided to send the stuff to her instead. So I boxed it up and am taking it to the post office today. For once, my procrastination has paid off! (We may have created a new little paper crafter; I'm sure Jo's mother will be just SO happy.)
Old 02-27-2013, 08:09 AM   #18
Glitter Guru

This is so nice to read. I sent her a card last week and one from my kids' too. My boys who are in school were shocked about this. At their school they tell you it's all or none and that's the way it should be. But, at least I'm glad Jo is getting lots of pretty cards, and so cute that she is crafting her own cards now!