Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2010, 02:36 AM   #41
Matboard Maniac

Cool... I will let you know when I have them in the mail... I am working this weekend, so I may not get to the post office until Monday...
Diane
Old 04-12-2010, 06:50 PM   #42
Rubber Obsessor

Subbing & bumping ...
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-12-2010, 08:13 PM   #43
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskabeeble View Post
Yes, they are the kit cards....so easy. LOVE these kits!
Your cards arrived today, but I must admit I haven't even broken the seal on the box. We're in the middle of getting ready for a fundraising auction at our church this weekend (my DH is the live auctioneer!). It's hair straight back getting ready right now. When I have a few minutes to myself I'll take a peek.

Thanks for sending them!
Old 04-22-2010, 07:29 AM   #44
Insane Embellisher

Now that I've finally had some time at home (ha ha - two funerals this week and a son that has to get his thumb checked out by a plastic surgeon) I managed to do a new card count.

Eskabeeble - I THINK a second box of cards arrived? I'm so confused now. Anyway - I have two boxes of yours and another box from a lady in southern Alberta (Val - not on SCS I'm thinking) that I'm adding into the total.

We now sit at 1,836!!

YEAH!!
Old 04-23-2010, 04:58 PM   #45
Pearl-ExPert

Hi Carolyn!!! Haven't been on SCS for some time but wanted to check out your thread and then followed it over here so I am now subscribed!! I will be doing a HUGE card purge within the next few months and they will all be coming your way!!! Glad to hear that our cards are being appreciated!!! This is such a wonderful gesture that you do!! Take care, my friend.
Jacqueline
Old 04-23-2010, 11:59 PM   #46
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookiehead View Post
Hi Carolyn!!! Haven't been on SCS for some time but wanted to check out your thread and then followed it over here so I am now subscribed!! I will be doing a HUGE card purge within the next few months and they will all be coming your way!!! Glad to hear that our cards are being appreciated!!! This is such a wonderful gesture that you do!! Take care, my friend.
Jacqueline
Good to see you back as well! Looking forward to chatting with you once in a while.

I need to get at sorting, bagging and boxing the cards. First comes getting income tax done, especially for my DH's business. For some reason the government wants their money - go figure!
Old 05-04-2010, 07:47 PM   #47
Insane Embellisher

Doin' a "bump"! All the cards are bagged and boxed - I'm ready for more to be sent (yes - that's a big hint)!
Old 05-11-2010, 01:36 PM   #48
Insane Embellisher

I received a package of cards from Lorri (sorry - I can't remember if you're on SCS or not). Finally got them counted so that I can do an update.

We are sitting at 1,867 cards for this year!

I've noticed less interest in this thread, and I'm wondering if it's because we got "moved" or are people moving onto other causes? If anybody has a suggestion on how to get the word out, let me know.

This may be our last year doing this - unless someone else wants to take up the torch.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:08 PM   #49
Matboard Maniac

Hmmmmm thats a bummer that it apears to be a neglected thread because it is such a great idea!!! I know for me that I have been so busy with family issues that I can't even get to my craft room. I do a have a pile for you that I started to gather for you, just trying to find the time... But if you have to pass the torch next year that is totally understandeable- you have done an exceptional job and a very good deed!
Diane
Old 05-12-2010, 08:11 PM   #50
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane7 View Post
Hmmmmm thats a bummer that it apears to be a neglected thread because it is such a great idea!!! I know for me that I have been so busy with family issues that I can't even get to my craft room. I do a have a pile for you that I started to gather for you, just trying to find the time... But if you have to pass the torch next year that is totally understandeable- you have done an exceptional job and a very good deed!
Diane
I should have clarified further with my ramblings.

We're now located in "need a lift" - it seems to be less activity there than when we were in "general stamping talk". I'm wondering if that's the reason - less people are finding us when they're surfing the topics.

It sounds like from the news we keep hearing that the government is going to pull out of Afghanistan in the next year or two. Do we want to continue collecting cards, and if so who do we get them to? That was part of my reasoning for "passing the torch".

Hope that makes more sense! Sorry for being so confusing.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:25 AM   #51
Die Cut Diva

Carolyn, are you going to be looking for Christmas cards at all? Say in June already? I know that its sometime difficult to predict exactly when they would get there, but could we try and plan that early enough, so that people could get those types of cards together already? Thanks for doing this, it is greatly appreciated by all!
Old 05-14-2010, 05:11 AM   #52
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartwig View Post
I should have clarified further with my ramblings.

We're now located in "need a lift" - it seems to be less activity there than when we were in "general stamping talk". I'm wondering if that's the reason - less people are finding us when they're surfing the topics.

It sounds like from the news we keep hearing that the government is going to pull out of Afghanistan in the next year or two. Do we want to continue collecting cards, and if so who do we get them to? That was part of my reasoning for "passing the torch".

Hope that makes more sense! Sorry for being so confusing.
Nope that all makes sense! I was on a night shift, so I maybe I was making mountains out of mole hills! Good idea on the change of locale... Hoepfully that genrates more traffic! I am going to TRY to put my parcel together this weekend!
Have a great one!
Diane
Old 05-17-2010, 07:10 PM   #53
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowgirl View Post
Carolyn, are you going to be looking for Christmas cards at all? Say in June already? I know that its sometime difficult to predict exactly when they would get there, but could we try and plan that early enough, so that people could get those types of cards together already? Thanks for doing this, it is greatly appreciated by all!
We'll definitely be doing Christmas cards. I'm starting to collect them already in anticipation of meeting up with my contact to get them delivered. Don't have many yet, but they will come, I'm sure.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:31 AM   #54
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartwig View Post
We'll definitely be doing Christmas cards. I'm starting to collect them already in anticipation of meeting up with my contact to get them delivered. Don't have many yet, but they will come, I'm sure.
Sounds good.....I'll try to collect some for you asap! Lana
Old 05-21-2010, 06:36 AM   #55
Compulsive Stamper

Hi Carolyn,

Mailed a box of cards last night. Should reach in in three or four days.

Have a great weekend!
Old 05-21-2010, 10:29 PM   #56
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Hi Carolyn,

Mailed a box of cards last night. Should reach in in three or four days.

Have a great weekend!
I'll let you know when they arrive on this end.

You have a good weekend too - my hubby drove in snow today! What do you expect for May in Alberta?
Old 05-25-2010, 04:58 AM   #57
Compulsive Stamper

Hi Carolyn,

I did some cleaning/organinizing of my craft room this weekend and sent a second box of cards yesterday which should arrive Thursday or Friday.

It sure would seem kind of strange not to have snow on the May long weekend in Alberta!!

Have a blessed day.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:28 PM   #58
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Hi Carolyn,

I did some cleaning/organinizing of my craft room this weekend and sent a second box of cards yesterday which should arrive Thursday or Friday.

It sure would seem kind of strange not to have snow on the May long weekend in Alberta!!

Have a blessed day.
I'll look for the second box too. The boxes you use are going to come in handy this summer for taking crafts down to Costa Rica - sturdy and close great!

No snow May long weekend? Well...in Miette there was snow. We hiked through it and finally gave up because it was so slippery walking with our runners. One of these years it will be HOT and beautiful on the long weekend (in Alberta! Ontario is getting hammered with heat right now).
Old 05-28-2010, 11:03 PM   #59
Insane Embellisher

Sandy, both your boxes arrived - one yesterday and one today. Didn't get to open them yet - this weekend is very busy with hubby's work stuff and other deadline items.

Will update once I get them counted and sorted.

Thanks so much for your commitment to this project!
Old 05-29-2010, 05:35 PM   #60
Compulsive Stamper

Default So glad I found your thread

I just stumbled across your thread and I'm so glad that I did. I love making cards but don't really have anyone to give them to. What is the minimum # of cards you like to receive at a time? And are there special requirements (I was reading on the US Operation Write Home site that they don't want glitter). I think this is just great that you're coordinating this project!
Old 05-30-2010, 10:42 PM   #61
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapalotshelley View Post
I just stumbled across your thread and I'm so glad that I did. I love making cards but don't really have anyone to give them to. What is the minimum # of cards you like to receive at a time? And are there special requirements (I was reading on the US Operation Write Home site that they don't want glitter). I think this is just great that you're coordinating this project!
Glad you've decided to "join" us!

I've put the information from the first post here as a refresher. One thing has changed (i.e. don't send envelopes for now - I am well stocked). Other than that, it's all pretty much the same.

The cards should be 1/4 fold (8.5x11 cut in half then folded in half) as they fit in the baggies and boxes better. If you use dark cardstock, please put a white insert in as the soldiers don't have access to metallic pens like we do.

Occasions should be generic because of the lead time for holidays. Some ideas: love, anniversary, birthday, hello, congratulations, miss you, smile, thinking of you, thank you, friend, encouragement, proud of you, just a note or blank.

I have two places for this year that the cards will be sent! The Edmonton Garrison is still taking our cards. They have found some creative ways to get them out to their soldiers (the government has cracked down on "general mail" going on the planes) and it sounds like it's working great. I talked to my contact today and she said they are all so appreciative of our efforts. The other place is through a fellow SCSer - punkapod. Her husband is willing to help us distribute them to another base. All will still go through me so that we can do counts - I will arrange for delivery to these two.

When you are ready to send cards, please PM me and I'll send you my address. Please include your SCS name when you send cards. I will send you a PM when they arrive.

Check with Canada Post for the cheapest way to mail - usually express post envelopes - it's a flat rate and you can stuff it as full as you want (without damaging cards, of course).

If you need any other information please ask.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:03 AM   #62
Compulsive Stamper

bumping
Old 06-03-2010, 02:48 PM   #63
Insane Embellisher

We have a new card total! I was babysitting today and was able to just stay and home and get a few jobs done - YEAH!

Thanks to eskabeeble, our card total is now at 2,172!
Old 06-22-2010, 07:10 AM   #64
Compulsive Stamper

Carolyn, sent a box of cards on Sunday which should reach you Wednesday/Thursday. I will be sending a second box tonight after work.

Blessings.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:43 AM   #65
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Carolyn, sent a box of cards on Sunday which should reach you Wednesday/Thursday. I will be sending a second box tonight after work.

Blessings.
I'll keep an eye out for them! I won't be "dealing" with them till after the middle of July, though. We're getting ready for a trip with 41 people and we have lots to do between now and when we leave. Hope that's alright?

Thanks for sending cards - you are a faithful contributor.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:47 PM   #66
Insane Embellisher

Hi Sandy (Eskabeeble),

Your cards arrived on Friday. I took a peek at them, but that's about all that's getting done right now.

We're feeling a little swamped trying to get everything done. Will update in the middle of July.
Old 07-20-2010, 04:38 AM   #67
Compulsive Stamper

Hi Carolyn,

How was your trip?

Sent two boxes of cards over the weekend. They should arrive in three or four days.

Blessings,
Sandy
Old 07-20-2010, 09:21 PM   #68
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Hi Carolyn,

How was your trip?

Sent two boxes of cards over the weekend. They should arrive in three or four days.

Blessings,
Sandy
Trip was good - some hard stuff, some fun stuff and lots of growing! I survived the flights, so that's encouraging.

I'm hoping to do a count of cards in the next few days (still trying to catch up with everything) and I still need to sort and bag. Will post when I get that done.

Thanks for your batches of cards! Can't wait to see them.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:15 AM   #69
Insane Embellisher

I finally got through the 6 boxes/envelopes of cards that I had sitting here, some since before our trip!

Thanks to Leslie (don't know your SCS name), eskabeeble and my demo for giving me cards.

Our new card total is... 3,298!!

Thanks for participating!!
Old 08-05-2010, 07:52 AM   #70
Insane Embellisher

Good morning,

Thanks to a package that arrived from Stampsouth, our card total is now at 3,348!

I know there are a few packages that are on their way so we'll keep seeing that number go up.

Happy Thursday!
Old 08-10-2010, 01:48 PM   #71
Matboard Maniac

I just found this thread now, thank you for taking on a cause like this. I'm a former grunt myself. Currently I'm collecting cards for Ronald McDonald House Southern Alberta, but once that swap is over I'll host another with the +1 coming your way.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:52 AM   #72
Insane Embellisher

I've received cards this week from cookiehead and ValH. Once I get them sorted and counted I will do a card total. It's been a bit of a zoo this week as a friend had a serious accident and we've been visiting and helping where needed. He's doing better, but it could have easily gone the other way. We are thankful!

Heads up - the deadline for cards for the year may be mid-September. Once I have a more definite date I will post it here.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:13 PM   #73
Matboard Maniac

Ack... better get my butt in gear!!!
All the best to your friend!
Diane
Old 08-16-2010, 06:54 PM   #74
Insane Embellisher

We have a new card total - until a couple more batches arrive! Thought I'd try to keep up, though.

We are at 3,526!!

Yeah us!!
Old 09-02-2010, 09:16 AM   #75
Cardstock Collector

It's been a great summer but with all my kids back at school next week I'll have time to re-discover my stamps! I've been kind of "out of the loop" for awhile...if I was to send a package of Christmas cards, when would you need them, or would you rather the cards be non-specific?

Brenda
Old 09-03-2010, 06:25 AM   #76
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampin'grandma View Post
It's been a great summer but with all my kids back at school next week I'll have time to re-discover my stamps! I've been kind of "out of the loop" for awhile...if I was to send a package of Christmas cards, when would you need them, or would you rather the cards be non-specific?

Brenda
All cards will need to be in my hands in the next couple of weeks. Punkapod and I are hoping that we will be meeting sometime in September.

So everybody - if you're sending cards, send them soon!!

New card total, thanks to Beth and Leslie (sorry - I can't find your SCS names). We're now at 3,628. Thanks ladies!
Old 09-03-2010, 07:12 AM   #77
Matboard Maniac

Thumbs up

Let me check my stash of cards & I'll send you a pm this weekend.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:29 AM   #78
Hardware Hotshot

I have a lot of cards I can send...not sure about envelopes though. I will check it out this weekend and respond again.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:08 PM   #79
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Laura View Post
Let me check my stash of cards & I'll send you a pm this weekend.
Sounds good. Looking forward to hearing from you.
Old 09-04-2010, 12:08 PM   #80
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappy_carla View Post
I have a lot of cards I can send...not sure about envelopes though. I will check it out this weekend and respond again.
Don't worry about envelopes - I have a box full that I need to use up.