Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-30-2008, 07:46 AM   #1
Stazon Splitcoast

Default CALLING ALL PATRIOTS TO STAMP SOME SUPPORT!!! ***(NEW THREAD)***

When our project "Stamp Your Heart Out" began over four years ago, we never realized it would have such a profound and continuing effect....we have outlasted many other "organizations" in our efforts to encourage our servicemen and women who are deployed to the Middle East...and I hope to keep this campaign going strong!

Recently I have had a great deal of interest in the project. We have rec'd coverage from magazines as well as from people posting on their blogs (thank you thank you). However, due to the fact that my first post was closed when we first began and it has been over four years I thought rather than continuing to update the old thread I would open up a new thread...

First, I would like to thank ALL who have participated....it is a blessing to me to see these packages fill my mail box (even if it does mean hours of counting sifting and sorting!! LOL)

Second, for those of you (and you know who you are) who send packages faithfully, I honor you. Your dedication and hard work on a monthly/weekly basis is amazing.

And lastly, if you have not heard of our project and would like to get involved, I will include the guidelines here as well as the link to the original post so you can read all of the updates along the way!

To all interested in participating in a combined effort to support our troops:
Our goal is to send encouragement and support to our troops far from home. How it will work- Make the cards, send to the address provided below, I, Keri, will then package the cards all together to be sent to our troops via the C-17 Cargo Planes that leave Charleston SC on a weekly basis if not more!

The following are some guidelines for the organized effort of sending our troops that are away from home some encouragement and support. There will be two ways you can participate.
One, send a card just letting them know how much your freedom means to you and how much you appreciate them and the job they do to provide that freedom for us.
Two, send a BLANK card that the soldiers can then send home to their family or friends. This will be a way for them to send something special to those they love since a hallmark store is not always ?just around the corner? from our troops.
Here are the guidelines for the two options.
TO SEND A CARD TO OUR TROOPS: Simply make a card, write a note and place in an envelope addressed to, ? Our Troops? ?A Soldier Far From Home? or anything else that you like as an anonymous soldier. Do not seal. (We need to be able to monitor these cards for prohibited materials as listed below.) Place those cards in ANOTHER ENVELOPE [SIZE=6]addressed to:[COLOR=blue]

Note - this program is now closed due to the difficulty of getting cards to troops downrange. Thank you for everything and please visit our Cards For a Cause challenge forum for a new destination for your lovely handmade cards

TO SEND A BLANK CARD: Simply make a card and LEAVE THE INSIDE BLANK. Place the card AND AN ENVELOPE into either a clear cello bag or a small sandwich size Ziploc baggie and then into an envelope and send to the above address. Be sure to include the envelope so that the troops can mail the card home to their loved ones here in the states.
Ok, now that the ?how tos? are done there are a few more guidelines that must be followed.
Don?t send political or offensive materials. No photos, bad language etc will be tolerated in the slightest!
Don?t send anything dangerous, explosive or breakable, I.e. Microscope slides would not be advised. These cards have a long way to got before they reach their final destination!
I am really looking forward to how this takes off. We have the potential to make a lonely soldier, serving far from home, SMILE. How great is that?
Thanks for your time and efforts~
Keri Lee Sereika
The attachment is so that you can print this out easily and have the address and guidelines easily accessable!!!!
Attached Files
File Type: doc Soldiers_Far_From_Home 2007.doc (29.0 KB, 1509 views)

Last edited by UnderstandBlue; 10-23-2012 at 10:53 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-30-2008, 08:24 AM   #2
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via MSN to MSBetsyZ

Keri, THANK YOU so much for doing a new thread, lol! I always get so confused trying to figure out the latest info on some of these really old, long threads.

Has anybody told you lately how proud we are of you? Lately, I mean? Fantastic job, Keri! Thanks so much for all you do.

SCS Gallery * My SU Website
Old 09-30-2008, 08:25 AM   #3
Embossing Fanatic

Fantastic!
Old 09-30-2008, 08:42 AM   #4
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSBetsyZ View Post
Keri, THANK YOU so much for doing a new thread, lol! I always get so confused trying to figure out the latest info on some of these really old, long threads.

Has anybody told you lately how proud we are of you? Lately, I mean? Fantastic job, Keri! Thanks so much for all you do.
Thanks Betsy...really..thanks!
Old 09-30-2008, 09:21 AM   #5
Kookie Creator

Wonderful! I wish I had come across this before - count me in! I've printed off the guidelines and will start as soon as I get some free time one of these evenings.

THANK YOU for organizing something like this!
Old 09-30-2008, 11:10 AM   #6
Stazon Splitcoast

Fabulous!!! I just sent a batch today of over 500 cards and have three more boxes that have come in that I need to get sorting and counting!

K
Old 09-30-2008, 12:34 PM   #7
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via MSN to MSBetsyZ

Are people being consistent with the baggies? You're not having to subsidize those are you?

SCS Gallery * My SU Website
Old 09-30-2008, 12:54 PM   #8
Mad Swapper

A baggie per card? Or can you put a bunch in a bag?

Thanks for clarifying that this is ongoing - and thanks for everything you have done and are doing for our troops.

Proud (retired) Navy wife
Old 09-30-2008, 01:29 PM   #9
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSBetsyZ View Post
Are people being consistent with the baggies? You're not having to subsidize those are you?
I have to do them every so often...but for the most part the guidelines are pretty well followed
Old 09-30-2008, 01:31 PM   #10
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayInFL View Post
A baggie per card? Or can you put a bunch in a bag?

Thanks for clarifying that this is ongoing - and thanks for everything you have done and are doing for our troops.

Proud (retired) Navy wife
One card per baggie...this way the troops can sort and look through without getting dust or dirt on the other cards. My DH was just deployed from April - early Sept and when he came home EVERYTHING he brought home with him was covered in dirt and dust...he said that it was just part of the everyday life there....he said between the dust and the sweat (115degrees or better each day) that IN THE SHOWER was the only time you were clean...once you got out you just started sweating and gathering dust again...LOL Poor guy!!! He loves being able to climb between clean sheets each night...
Old 09-30-2008, 01:39 PM   #11
Hardware Hotshot

Send a message via AIM to onelightningchic

I just wanted to applaud you for this wonderful effort and encourage others to help out by saying : My DH was in Viet Nam for 15 months. He knew two Marines who hid when mail call was called, because neither one of them EVER received even one piece of mail from home or anywhere else the entire time. He said to have gotten even a random piece of mail for just them would have meant so much. So keep up the great job. I will read over the instructions and see what I have to send.
Old 10-04-2008, 02:53 AM   #12
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Thanks for doing all this wonderful work, Keri! I hope there will be a lot of WCMD participants who will take the opportunity to donate their cards to this!

I know not what this day holds....but I know Who holds the day!!
Old 10-04-2008, 03:11 AM   #13
Stazon Splitcoast

I certainly hope so!!!!
Old 10-04-2008, 04:06 AM   #14
Hardware Hotshot

Keri, do you send them to the same troop in the same area? Without giving away anything confidential, how do you send them on the cargo plane?

Old 10-04-2008, 05:40 AM   #15
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

so excited to send some more...I sent some for WISH RAK's labor day challenge and had a blast! Happy WCMD everyone!
Old 10-05-2008, 09:04 AM   #16
Stazon Splitcoast

I have a huge shoebox, I set aside with the cards for soldiers. Each has an envelope. I will follow your guidelines for putting each in a zip lock bag and send them to you this week. They are soldier cards...waiting for a soldier.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:30 AM   #17
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbetty View Post
Keri, do you send them to the same troop in the same area? Without giving away anything confidential, how do you send them on the cargo plane?
We live just 20 mins from the Charleston Air Force Base, my DH is a pilot and flies the c-17 based here in Charleston. If I can't send the cards with him, I bring them to the squadron and they then get them sent via another pilot who is going out that week. Sometimes they get delivered to the "first stop"...but for the most part the guys who bring them tell me they a) try to vary where they go and b) try to get them as far "down range" (into the "front lines") as possible.

I hope that helps! have a super week!
Old 10-06-2008, 10:46 AM   #18
Gabfest Goddess

I am subscribing and will be sending cards out to you. I have just initiated a "stamp lunch and learn" here at work. It was approved by management and we are making 3 cards in the hour and asking everyone donates one to the troops and I have a pile already started to donate too! The dates are the 15 & 23 of October. Hoping to have around 75 to send to you!

Thanks for doing this!
Michele
Old 10-06-2008, 10:50 AM   #19
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood17 View Post
I am subscribing and will be sending cards out to you. I have just initiated a "stamp lunch and learn" here at work. It was approved by management and we are making 3 cards in the hour and asking everyone donates one to the troops and I have a pile already started to donate too! The dates are the 15 & 23 of October. Hoping to have around 75 to send to you!

Thanks for doing this!
Michele
That is awesome Michele!!

And what a GREAT IDEA for a stamp lunch and learn!!! I want to come!
Old 10-06-2008, 04:29 PM   #20
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sereikastamper View Post
That is awesome Michele!!

And what a GREAT IDEA for a stamp lunch and learn!!! I want to come!
I have to tell you I work in a large corporate setting and was thrilled when they allowed me to do this, and I just want to be able to bless others with the donations of cards!

Hugs,
Michele
Old 10-07-2008, 10:31 AM   #21
Cardstock Collector

Default I have cards & other stuff

Hi, I am the wife of a retired military man. For World Card Making Day we made Christmas cards for the troops. I have the info on sending them but I have a few questions about another organization interested in a mailing. Would you please send me an e-mail so that we can discuss this. Thank you so much for all you do.
Tammee
ArletteR@aol.com
Old 10-07-2008, 11:09 AM   #22
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammee Richardson View Post
Hi, I am the wife of a retired military man. For World Card Making Day we made Christmas cards for the troops. I have the info on sending them but I have a few questions about another organization interested in a mailing. Would you please send me an e-mail so that we can discuss this. Thank you so much for all you do.
Tammee
ArletteR@aol.com

Just sent you an email!
Old 10-09-2008, 05:39 PM   #23
Kookie Creator

what a wonderful thing you are doing. I know it takes alot to keep a project like this running for so long.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:25 PM   #24
Cardstock Collector

Default LABARTS

Hi Keri,

Thanks so much for updating your thread. I am so excited to see how many cards have been sent. Over 23,000 that is just amazing. I have sent about 60 cards and am glad that you are able to use them. How far in advance do you need cards for a holiday...in other words, when do you need Christmas cards so that they have time to be sent there and sent back (if doing the cards that they can send back home to their family) When do you need them by if making the cards for the soldiers themselves with a note on the inside?

I am having such a great time making cards for you to send...it's just great to do something for the soldiers that you know they will appreciate.

Thanks for all your efforts.

Lisa
Old 10-10-2008, 09:15 PM   #25
Matboard Maniac

Hi Keri, I have big bunches of cards that I would love to send...on the ones going to the troops to send home is it ok if they say "for you, birthday wishes, etc on the front of the card?? Is this an ongoing effort, so I can get a box ready and send and then later send another when I have enough?? I would be so happy to have my excess cards go to good use. I printed out the instructions and your address and will follow your guidelines and pass the info along. Thank you for all you are doing.
(stamping, that is)
Old 10-11-2008, 05:11 AM   #26
Kookie Creator

Thank you so much for doing this. To keep it going for so long is amazing and having a way to get them to the soldiers without having to pay postage is fantastic!

I have a question. I have a lot of cards in clear sealed card sleeves, each is enclosed with an envelope, I assume that it would be ok to leave them in the clear sleeves rather than putting them each into a baggie?

Old 10-15-2008, 10:52 AM   #27
Gabfest Goddess

Hi There, ok did my first class at work for the lunch n learn and we have 72 cards to donate. The next one is scheduled for next Thursday and am hoping to have around 200 cards to send out at the end of next week! Thanks so much for doing this!

Michele
Old 11-07-2008, 11:14 AM   #28
Gabfest Goddess

Ok, have a batch of cards that I am sending out to you today!

Thanks,
Michele
Old 11-09-2008, 04:06 AM   #29
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks Michele!!! I can't wait!
Old 11-09-2008, 05:11 AM   #30
Gabfest Goddess

Your welcome they are coming 2nd day UPS you will have on Tuesday.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:08 AM   #31
Insane Embellisher

I don't have a lot of excess, but it gave me a great idea. I've been wanting to start a card ministry through my church and this would be someplace great for cards to go!! I'll keep you up to date on it and hopefully be able to send something sometime soon.

Stickles Swap
Old 11-10-2008, 10:12 PM   #32
Cardstock Collector

Default Cards for the troops

Hello Ladies,

I just want to say thank you so much for doing this it is always a great thing.

I am currently living my 4th war deployment of my soldier, but 5th in 6 years & it touches me to see how complete strangers are so willing to offer a heartfelt touch.

I am currently getting ready to send 50 mini stockings with a little goodie in each one for my hubby & his soldiers. I am trying to get some cards made as well for them to be able to send home, however My hubby would probably send me my own, LOL =P

Again I just wanted to thank you all for your kindness & support of our troops.

Hugs,
Aimee =)

** Addicted to buying all the new stamping & scrapping supplies =( NOW only if I would use them LOL =)

** Proud & Loving Army wife who is currently serving our country & mother to our 2 military BRATZ =) !!
Old 11-16-2008, 06:38 AM   #33
Matboard Maniac

Is it to late to send Christmas cards?
Old 11-16-2008, 09:33 AM   #34
Stazon Splitcoast

As long as the cards are to me by the end of this month there should be time to get them to the troops and back home...if they are cards written TO the troops then we can send them down as late as mid dec...

Thanks!

K
Old 11-18-2008, 10:51 AM   #35
Pearl-ExPert

Thumbs up Thank you so much!

My best friend is station in Iraq right now and he is having a very rough time both with the war and being homesick. What you are doing means the world to him and all of the other American Hero's that are overseas and at home. I have downloaded the guidelines and will make cards as soon as I have a free moment. (Probably over my holiday vacation). Again, Thank you so much!
Old 11-20-2008, 02:10 PM   #36
Cardstock Collector

Default Girl Scout Daisy Troop leader

Keri,

I am a SU! demonstrator and also a mother of a Girl Scout Daisy and the troop leader. I am wanting to do a service project with the troop and want to send Christmas cards to the troops overseas. Can we make Christmas cards to send to them??? And if I don't do this until Dec. 15th with the troop and then get them into the mail the next day, will they get to the troops before Christmas??? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks for doing this!!

Melissa
SU! Demonstrator
Daisy Troop Leader
Mother
Old 11-20-2008, 06:20 PM   #37
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi Melissa!

Even if the cards don't get there BY Christmas I am sure the troops won't mind belated holiday wishes!!! This is a great way to get your troop involved!

thanks!

K
Old 11-21-2008, 07:45 AM   #38
Stazon Splitcoast

Hello Ladies:

I need to address some issues we are having...unfortunately, there have been MANY CARDS arriving that do not adhere to the simple guidelines I have outlined for sending cards.

First: The cards are to be HANDMADE cards. They can be blank or written to the troops but this card drive is to send cards we have made to the troops.

Second: The cards are to EACH be individually placed WITH AN ENVELOPE into a baggie or clear envelope. This keeps the cards safe from dust and dirt. Many of the areas we are sending the cards to are plagued by dust storms and other elements...ONE CARD ONE BAG = One Happy Soldier.

Third: Blatantly Religious Materials are NOT ALLOWED. It is one thing to say "I am praying for your safe return" while it is yet another to "preach" at the troops. I am not able, nor do I want to, draw the line in the sand so to speak but if I have more and more cards coming that have too much religious connotations rather than simple best wishes for a safe return, I will have to end this card drive. I will not risk being unknowingly offensive...that is the bottom line.

I am sorry to have to come down so harsh and heavy, but I process nearly 1000 cards (sometimes more) per month and if I have to continue to go out and buy envelopes and baggies to put the cards in, or if I have to sift and sort out the overly zealous religious materials, I will simply have to call it quits. I have a family (ever growing baby #4 on the way in June) who requres more and more of my time. I would like to keep this card drive up as I have had a recent email from a group downrange who loved our cards!!! I know this brings them joy!! But I need everyone to do their part to keep this operation running smoothly!!

Thank you!

K
Old 11-22-2008, 02:50 AM   #39
Cardstock Collector

I've got 2 shoeboxes full of "sample" cards that I've been telling myself I need to cut in half, but have been unable to part with... I think if I'm sending them to you, I could manage to get rid of a few I will pick up some envelopes and baggies this week and box them up to you.

Thank you for doing this. All four of my brothers have been in and out of the military over the last 15 or 16 years. (One still in the reserves and another just went back on active duty; they moved his family to Texas just this week!) I remember how hard it was to have two of them in Iraq at the same time and just getting care packages to their unit was a tremendous undertaking, but it was always worth the effort (and more) because we knew they were bright spots in their otherwise not-so-bright days.

23,000 cards is 23,000 smiles
Old 11-22-2008, 03:00 AM   #40
Stazon Splitcoast

Well I will certainly look forward to your package! I haven't processed cards in about three weeks due to being ill and I just went through more than 15 packages...I sorted and sifted them and condensed them down to four LARGE BOXES of cards to go out to the troops!!! I haven't added up the numbers yet but I bet it is close to 1000 more cards!

K