Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-16-2012, 07:16 PM   #1
ajm
Insane Embellisher

Default The mammogram saved my life!

I get my mammograms in Dec. around my birthday so I'll remember to go. Not that my doctor would let me forget, so I really go just to keep her from hounding me. So this last time, I had to go back for a recheck and it was a mass that needed a biopsy. Got the biospy on my birthday, the 22nd, just so I didn't have to worry about it over Christmas. They called the next day to say it was cancer. Nothing like putting a damper on Christmas for both sides of the family.

I'd like to point out that this was too small to feel, 12mm, the prior Dec. test was clear, and my doctor didn't feel anything at my physical last summer. I also have no family history, so we never expected me to have cancer at 45.

We named the tumor Earl, and Earl had to die. Love the Dixie Chicks, and then we got to make a lot of kill Earl jokes. My family handles stress with humor.

Anyhoo, many tests later find a second spot on that side, biopsy showed it was not cancer, but had to come out too. And the other side was 'unremarkable' I would be offended if we weren't talking about cancer - my girls are, in fact, remarkable, especially the one with 3 new battle scars on it.

Surgery went well, they got everything with good margins and proved it did not spread. Then more tests and waiting to find out I don't need chemo (yippee!). Now, I'm currently waiting to start radiation which is just to make sure there is no essence of Earl left behind.

So, if you haven't gotten a mammosquash in over a year, please go in. It's only 10 minutes of annoying and the best thing is early detection, my surgery and follow up treatments would be harder if I had listened to the government and started going in every other year instead of every year.

Ann
Old 03-16-2012, 10:32 PM   #2
Die Cut Diva

Glad you have a sense of humor! The "unremarkable" bit was hilarious.

So glad to hear that Earl has gone missing and thanks for sharing the reminder!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 03-17-2012, 06:03 AM   #3
Matboard Maniac

Default mammosquash

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajm View Post
I get my mammograms in Dec. around my birthday so I'll remember to go. Not that my doctor would let me forget, so I really go just to keep her from hounding me. So this last time, I had to go back for a recheck and it was a mass that needed a biopsy. Got the biospy on my birthday, the 22nd, just so I didn't have to worry about it over Christmas. They called the next day to say it was cancer. Nothing like putting a damper on Christmas for both sides of the family.

I'd like to point out that this was too small to feel, 12mm, the prior Dec. test was clear, and my doctor didn't feel anything at my physical last summer. I also have no family history, so we never expected me to have cancer at 45.

We named the tumor Earl, and Earl had to die. Love the Dixie Chicks, and then we got to make a lot of kill Earl jokes. My family handles stress with humor.

Anyhoo, many tests later find a second spot on that side, biopsy showed it was not cancer, but had to come out too. And the other side was 'unremarkable' I would be offended if we weren't talking about cancer - my girls are, in fact, remarkable, especially the one with 3 new battle scars on it.

Surgery went well, they got everything with good margins and proved it did not spread. Then more tests and waiting to find out I don't need chemo (yippee!). Now, I'm currently waiting to start radiation which is just to make sure there is no essence of Earl left behind.

So, if you haven't gotten a mammosquash in over a year, please go in. It's only 10 minutes of annoying and the best thing is early detection, my surgery and follow up treatments would be harder if I had listened to the government and started going in every other year instead of every year.

Ann
I second this , I have the Brca+2 gene so I go every 6 months Mri Oct in April mammosquash ( haha love it) for a few min out of my day ,aliitle more with the mri its worth it I can have some peace of mind and I alway give myself a little treat afterwards . Glad you caught it Early, TFS your story
Old 03-19-2012, 08:59 AM   #4
Die Cut Diva

I'm glad things are turning out ok! Your story is why I started annual mammos at 35. My mom and my aunt (dad's side) both have had breast cancer, so I'm at a higher risk.

Love the Earl reference!
Old 04-01-2012, 09:41 PM   #5
Crimping Master

I am so glad that it all turned out good for you. I think any time someone who has been there sends a reminder to the rest of us it packs more wallop. I do go every year. For awhile I had a lump they had me coming back for every six months but that has been several years now since they gave me the go ahead to every twelve months.

Too bad it had to be right before Christmas with the news. My son-in-law was told he had a very aggressive cancer two and a half years ago the day before Thanksgiving. Talk about an emotional Thanksgiving. So far two years clear!
Old 04-04-2012, 06:13 AM   #6
Pearl-ExPert

You made me LOL!! So glad that all is well and they found it when they did.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #7
Embossing Fanatic

I also was diagnosed early on a mammogram 18 years ago at age 51. Then they were still doing mastectomies in my area, so had that and chemo. I have a very high history of breast cancer in my family. I too recommend yearly mammograms. Do not agree with the every other year. I started having yearly mammograms at age 40 because of family history. I never really minded having mammograms, but some people seem to hate them. But they can save your life.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:09 AM   #8
Matboard Maniac

Vickohl- I agree every other year is not enough , I've been getting mammogram for 22 years due to high family and now knowing I have the Brca2+ gene and I'm 47 I have so many friends who think its such a pain to get them I'm off to get mine today and see no reason to not like them , I get an Mri in 6 months and I would rather not do that but I can live with 6 month mri and then 6 month Mammograms , afterwards I treat myself to a trip to the coffee shop . So glad they found it early for you.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:32 PM   #9
Embossing Fanatic

ajm, I love your humor and strength. "Battle scars", indeed... if men had to endure this sort of thing, they'd be handing out Purple Hearts for it like they were flyers for a local DJ.

Recently had my very first one, at age 42. Just got the letter that it came back fine, but it reminded me to remember those whose mammo news presents a different face.

Keep swingin', babe... and I mean that in every applicable sense of the word!
Old 05-20-2012, 04:56 AM   #10
Hardware Hotshot

Yeah for you. I, too, had BC found by the mammo. It was "only" DCIS (ducal carcinoma in situ) meaning confined to the milk ducts. On the x-ray, they looked like little grains of sand. Anyway, biopsy, surgery and 6 weeks of radiation 6 years ago and I'm good to go. So, every 6 months, I get squished. Wouldn't think of missing an appointment. So, ladies, if you haven't made your first appointment -- DON'T WAIT!!!

Wanda
Old 05-21-2012, 05:25 PM   #11
Polyshrink Goddess

Yay for you and good idea to post your story here. So many people are not willing to go... I am 41 but have been going every year since 35 due to family history (3 maternal aunts with problems, 2 with cancer). Our family uses humor to deal with everything, too so my mom and I always joke that if we ever have problems it will be time to get upgraded boobs like the aunts.
Old 05-23-2012, 11:32 AM   #12
Die Cut Diva

Such great news..Love your humor.. I am glad Earl is gone....Goodbye Earl!
Old 06-08-2012, 01:29 PM   #13
Hardware Hotshot

Congrats! So glad to hear some good news! You inspired me, too. I've been putting off my mammogram since February, and it's now really late! I have an appointment next Tuesday, now.