Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-15-2010, 10:52 AM   #1
Pearl-ExPert

Default Aspartame Documentary

I'm not sure if anyone has posted this already...have you see this? I have always heard about aspartame is bad but, not this bad. Here is an interesting documentary about Aspartame which is linked to 92 symptoms which lead to numerous other things then death. Please watch it and stop using Aspartame products....check labels! Please pass this documentary video on to others, thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgDgrkfDF7g

Does anyone know if they use other names on labels for Aspertame?

If you find products in your home with Aspertame please list them in your post, Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-15-2010, 11:26 AM   #2
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

Yep Diet Pepsi and Crystal Light!!!

I am very pron to migraines and drink these two drinks.

Back in Oct '08 I had such a bad migraine, I ended up in the hospital for the 3 day with migraine protocal treatment. Not Fun!!

My doc at the time did suggest that Aspertame can be a cause of headaches and migraines. BUT he was very carfeful to tell me that "Aspertame may cause" as there was no "proof" and the "Aspertame people" state there is no problem with thier product. I did tons of internet research after I got out of the hospital. Back in Oct 08, I could not find any info that would flat out state that Aspartame is a cause of headaches/migraines.

I am glad that people and doctors are speeking up now, but it will be a long long time before anything will be done about Apspartame. Who knows if it can legally be taken off the market and what would replace it???

I went all most a year without drinking diet pepsi/diet soda and Crystal Light,

I could go a month without a migraine, and then again I could have a migraine that lasts a week.

I do try not to drink or cut down the amount of these drinks but I just can't justify drinking regular soda and ice tea and consume hundreds of calories for these drinks. Ya I know water, water, water, but sometimes water just does not do it.

Time will tell. I am all for finding another alternitive for Aspertame!!!!

"The quickest way for a parent to get a child's attention is to sit down and look comfortable.

Practice safe eating - always use condiments.
Old 11-15-2010, 12:47 PM   #3
Stazon Splitcoast

There are alternatives to aspertame and artifical sweetners! I haven't knowingly ingested artifical sweetners in at least 10 years.

My sweetners of choice are stevia and regular sugar, which our bodies knows how to digest.

Vitamin Water Zero is made with stevia as well as one of the new Crystal Light sports beverages. You can make your own tea and use the stevia to sweeten it.

Read your labels carefully - asperatme is even found in breads, baked goods, and other products.

Sucralose (Splenda) is "cut" with yucky stuff - don't know why people put this stuff in their bodies!
Old 11-15-2010, 05:45 PM   #4
Her Royal Awesomeness of Shiner Bock PTA Pirate Land

i am a diet coke junkie. if i had my way you could hook me up to an iv full of that stuff...

until about 3 weeks ago.

then i ended up in the hospital with a stroke... or something.

they still don't know for sure what it is...

one doc is saying maybe a migraine...

for teh next month i'm off all artificial sweeteners (as well as a few other things) - he's done a ton of research and has linked aspartame to migraines and strokes...

luckily i like unsweet tea.

i had a headache since october 10th. i've been off diet coke and several other things since oct 23rd. yesterday was the first day i could say i hadn't had a headache.

because i've cut out several things from my diet - i can't 100% say it was the aspartame. but i will say i drank probably 80-100 oz of the stuff a day...

2013 Scrapping Goal 48 pages
To date 20 completed!

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Old 11-15-2010, 07:25 PM   #5
Gabfest Goddess

tfs..wow perhaps that is my problem i get migraines and have for years..and im a diet pepsi girl also crystal lite..and alot of other stuff with aspertame in it..
i may have to try and cut it out for awhile and see where that goes
Old 11-16-2010, 05:24 AM   #6
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Here is another article you should read.
Aspartame Dangers and Side Effects

Aspartame is the chemical name or "generic" name of this artificial sweetener. Lite other drugs, it has many trade names. Aspartame is marketed as Equal, NutraSweet, Equal Spoonful, Benevia, NatraTaste, AminoSweet, Candarel, and since the patent on it has now expired it likely will come on the market under many different names.

As a warning, Sucralose is not much better for you. It was not properly tested before being approved and much is being discovered about its hazards as well.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:35 AM   #7
Rubber Obsessor

I have always stayed away from Aspartame but never thought about reading labels to see what is included. It is getting close to going back to my mothers day and do more things from scratch. That would probably be more healthy for all of us.
Old 11-19-2010, 06:53 AM   #8
Crimping Master

Thank you for sharing. Very interesting. I use to drink diet pepsi all the time. Never drink it now. I am so glad that I love a cold glass of water. You can break yourself of the habit. Just do it. It is worth the improvement in your health.
My son in law drank large amounts of diet pop until a year ago when he was diagnosed with a very agressive cancer. He is free of it right now and my daughter has him on a very healthy diet with the help of a oncology naturopath. My daughter has taught me alot about aspartane.
Research also shows that those diet drinks do not help you lose weight ladies. Your body is just left still craving sugar. You just wetted it's appetite with artificial sweetner.
I wish I could help you quit drinking that poison. Just do it. Please.

Lois
Old 12-06-2010, 06:22 PM   #9
Rubber Obsessor

I started having problems with aspartame 27 years ago when I started consuming large amounts of it. Back then doctor's wouldn't even consider that there was an issue with it. It might seem an odd thing, but it made me lose control, violent. I had terrible headaches and my periods were all screwed up. I stopped consuming it and the issues went away.
Old 12-06-2010, 08:25 PM   #10
Polyshrink Goddess

What about those of us (me) that are and have for years and years drinking diet coke/pepsi, etc. with aspartame (since the 80's at least) and have never had any problems? Strange, but I guess there are some people that can just tolerate it.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:59 AM   #11
Kookie Creator

Thanks for sharing this! Not enough time now but I will be back to read up on this!!
Old 12-14-2010, 06:47 PM   #12
Mad Swapper

I'm watching the documetary and reading the article now, mainly because I am bored. I don't ingest aspartame or any artificial sweetners for two reasons, #1 they all taste nasty and #2 I instantly get a headache. I also don't allow my DD to ingest any because I don't want her eat poison.

I've been thinking though, Does anyone else think that artificial sweetners may also be to blame for the rise in neurological disorders in children? By that I mean do you think that children are being affected in utero? The rise in disorders such as ADD and autism in the last 10-15 years has been crazy. I happen to know at least two women who drink nothing but diet soda and have autistic children, I wonder if their is a link.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:42 PM   #13
Matboard Maniac

I have a friend, who actually gives her son (who has neurological issues) diet soda all the time to drink. I've tried to get her to stop, but she just insists the diet soda is just fine. I dont get it-- kids especially do not need to be drinking the stuff.
Old 01-29-2011, 07:56 PM   #14
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm allergic to Nutrasweet/Aspartame. When it first came out, I tired it and it made me throw up. I've had it a couple times since (it was in things that I didn't know it was in and didn't have access to the label), and it did the same thing.

I do use Splenda in my coffee - it seems fine for me.

I have tried Stevia/Truvia in that Vitamin Water, and before I finished the bottle of water, I was wheezing and had to go find my inhaler FAST! So it might be 'more natural", but it certainly isn't for me!!

I'm not a pop drinker in general - on the rare occasion (once a month perhaps) I drink pop, it's the real thing - Cherry Coke with sugar - with pizza!

Old 01-30-2011, 10:39 PM   #15
Polyshrink Goddess

I did my college thesis on aspertame, back when they denied any issues. My findings was that it is made of highly toxic chemicals which remain toxic even after the manufacturing process and the body returns it to toxicity when it breaks it down, such as formaldehyde and methanol. I don't drink embalming fluid or anti-freeze.

The race for a sugar substitue has historically been more of a money maker than the race to put the first man on the moon.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:35 PM   #16
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks for the info - NO more Crystal light for me!!!
Old 02-01-2011, 05:54 PM   #17
Stazon Splitcoast

crystal light now makes a sports beverage powder with no artificial sweetners. I have it every once in awhile when I really feel like I need a flavor boost. (Especially on long bike rides.)
Old 02-04-2011, 05:48 PM   #18
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

That is good to hear. I don't feel well with the artificial sweetners...prefer plain non sweetened tea and coffee
Old 02-04-2011, 06:08 PM   #19
Forum Fanatic

I have ulcerative colitis and have never been able to tolerate asparatame or sucralose without digestive consequences. I thought it was just me.
Old 09-13-2011, 10:53 PM   #20
Pearl-ExPert

Bump!
Old 09-14-2011, 02:41 AM   #21
Glitter Queen

We had so many problems with my little boys behaviour, he's been seeing a paediatrician since he was about 2. I kept saying he'd be fine one minute then very suddenly turn violent and just rage. They went through ther usual motions wanting this and that tested and I actually mentionned it on a craft forum and someone suggested aspartame which he was having with robinsons juice (very popular brand in uk) Took him off anything with aspartame and my what a difference! The Dr I feel doesnt believe me, the way she writes the reports up is that this is my sole belief and not hers though she can offer no explaination.

I'm not sayng he's 100%, he stll has some problems but it was the rages, I mean they were so bad that he'd apologise later on when it had worn off as he knew he was being nasty but couldnt help it. I'm quite satisfied they were caused by aspartame as he doesnt have anything of that magnitude anymore.

http://vixykins.blogspot.com
Old 09-16-2011, 10:22 AM   #22
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks for the info. I went on Weight Watchers several years ago and so I started drinking diet soda and Crystal Light. I started getting dizzy spells even when I was sitting down. I finally figured out it was the Aspartame and immediately stopped. I actually experimented to see if it was maybe a coincidence. As soon I started drinking it again, the dizzy spells came back. So no more for me. I don't let my children drink it either. I let my older daughter (12 years old) have one regular soda per week. I'd rather her have sugar than the chemicals. My 2 year-old only gets milk and water. She bounces off the wall from just drinking milk and eating fruit. Help us all if she ever gets sugar.
Old 09-18-2011, 04:40 PM   #23
Forum Fanatic

I just drank Crystal Light last night after not having it for a few weeks - and got a massive migrane as the result. I alway attributed my headaches to stress - but never thought that EVERY time I drink Crystal Light I get horrible headaches!

So no more asparatame for me. And thankfully I've never let my kids have it - don't even want to know how it would affect them!
Design Team Member for My Favorite Things
Old 09-25-2011, 11:08 PM   #24
Proud Fan Club Member

Diet drinks in general always made me sick. I've stayed away from it as much as I can.

My middle sister use to drink diet pop all the time. Until she read all about the dangers from drinking them.

She now stays away from it.

I'll take my water with some lemon or lime in it. And as always give me a regular coke twice a week.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:17 AM   #25
Cardstock Collector

I have been drinking practically no Diet Coke for about a year until a few weeks ago. One particular night I had probably 3 coke refills when at dinner. That night during the night my legs felt really weird and I couldn't keep them still. I guess it was like restless legs syndrome. I use to have that happen a few years ago, and I finally put it together that it was the diet coke that was causing it. No more Diet Coke for me!
Old 11-03-2011, 02:53 PM   #26
Crimping Master

It is so good to read these entries where ladies are giving up the artificial sweeteners.

The stories about the side effects are really interesting.

Congrats to all of you.

Lois
Old 11-08-2011, 09:10 AM   #27
Cardstock Collector

I've found that chewing gum is on of the worst for aspartame. My son loves gum but I can't seem to find any these days without aspartame in it. He doesn't like that I won't let him have gum. I'll give him a hard candy or something sweet, but it's not really the same. Most of the kids chew gum. My niece and nephews always have a pack on them, they're all under twelve. It's a little scary what our governments feel is safe for us to consume.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:51 AM   #28
Inking Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to LU LU 7

My Daughter also educated me about this Poison... The government has way toooo much control, this makes me sick and disgusts me...
Old 11-12-2011, 11:01 PM   #29
Inking Addict

Thanks for posting this. I stopped drinking diet coke one week ago, after I read this thread and watched the video. I always knew that aspartame wasn't good for you, but something really clicked with me last week. I didn't realize all the problems it was causing me, as I feel so much better now. The first night after not drinking it for 24 hours was the best sleep I have had in a long time. My mind is much clearer now and I don't feel anxious. I too also would occasionally get a weird feeling in my legs that would wake me up in the middle of the night. It will be interesting to see if that happens to me anymore. I really don't miss the diet coke and I was drinking anywhere from three to six or more cans a day. Plus I have lost six pounds and don't feel bloated. No more headaces too. I even spread the word to co-workers and have them off of it too.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:28 PM   #30
Stazon Splitcoast

For those of you who stated that you are drinking good old-fashioned soda with sugar, in most cases (maybe not overseas since they are stricter) but if you are in the US, then you are not drinking sugar but drinking HFCS, which is just as bad as aspartame, imho. That stuff is true junk. Old fashioned soda with sugar tastes much different than sodas of today.

I personally rarely drink soda - those companies are poisoning us for money! I only keep ginger ale in the house for the tummy bug that may visit us. Call it an old wives tale, but it seems to work for me.

I work in education and the rise in attention issues, autism and kids with learning disabilities is frightening. It gets worse every year. And it's those kids with issues that you see eating Cheetos, red dye products, and sugary granola bars and other foods that are marketed to be "healthy". And I'm not talking about a treat - I'm talking about 4 or 5 products for a mid-day "snack" each and every day.

Scary.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:39 PM   #31
Rubber Obsessor

Just wanted to share that I have a strange issue with aspartame.
After drinking Diet Coke/Pepsi as my primary beverage for yeeeeears, I started itching. All over my body. The more sensitive the skin area the worse it was. Couldn't stop the itching with creams and such.

Did some reading on-line to see if I could find any possible causes, and found an obscure reference that in addition to migraines,etc., that aspartame was tied to some skin issues.

So I figured it wouldn't hurt to cut it out, and switched to Vitamin Water Zero and Propel (unfortunately I don't like plain water, and wouldn't drink enough if that's all I could drink).
The itching went away almost immediately! Happy to not be itching. But I do miss it...

Who needs tattoos? I already have ink in strange places...
Old 11-15-2011, 10:25 AM   #32
Crimping Master

I personally rarely drink soda - those companies are poisoning us for money! I only keep ginger ale in the house for the tummy bug that may visit us. Call it an old wives tale, but it seems to work for me.

[/QUOTE]

I keep ginger ale too. It does work for me too.

It's funny I have not drank soda products in years but yesterday a checker had a open bottle of pepsi on her counter and I had the strongest craving for it. It just sounded good to me. I didn't have any but just thought that was funny after all this time.

Lois
Old 11-15-2011, 09:04 PM   #33
Cardstock Collector

A few years ago I tried to get my husband and son to stop drinking pop. We've never been fans of diet so we've never really had that problem. I can't drink most fruit juices because i'm allergic to apples (weird I know). Most juices are cut with apple juice. I have a juicer but usually only use it during summer. While on vacation I found these pop/soda like drinks. Santa Cruz organics. We all love them and they've replaced regular pop in our house. They have flavoours like: mango lemonade, raspberry lemonade, mango orange, pomagranate limeade, orange lemonade, gingerale and rootbeer. They used to be about 7$ for a 4pk but our Costco sells them now for 13$ for 24 assorted. They use organic cane juice and are lightly cabonated.
Just thought I'd throw it out there as I have been trying to find alternatives to high sugar and aspartame type sweeteners myself.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:42 PM   #34
Mad Swapper

We don't drink much soda in our house, but when we do, it's something with pure cane sugar in it. No HFCS for us. There's a ginger beer,(soft, not hard), out there called Ragatta. It's all natural, really yummy and has a great ginger flavor. Perfect for upset tummy. Ginger is commonly used in China for upset stomachs. A friend of mine said his mom used to make him drink ginger tea when he was little for tummy aches.

http://roxysramblings64.blogspot.com
Old 01-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #35
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by fionna51 View Post
Here is another article you should read.
Aspartame Dangers and Side Effects

Aspartame is the chemical name or "generic" name of this artificial sweetener. Lite other drugs, it has many trade names. Aspartame is marketed as Equal, NutraSweet, Equal Spoonful, Benevia, NatraTaste, AminoSweet, Candarel, and since the patent on it has now expired it likely will come on the market under many different names.

As a warning, Sucralose is not much better for you. It was not properly tested before being approved and much is being discovered about its hazards as well.
The link changed to... Aspartame Dangers and Side Effects if a box pops up just "X" out of it to read the article.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:19 PM   #36
Pearl-ExPert

Interview with Jeffrey M Smith about GM Foods, the chemical Round Up, etc...8:47 mins into it, of course you can watch all. Sounds like he is making a Documentary about it. Genetically Engineered Foods

Last edited by In my closet Stampin; 02-23-2012 at 06:24 PM..
Old 02-23-2012, 07:10 PM   #37
Pearl-ExPert

Shopping for non GMO guides website and you can print out the guides for free link.

Link to website: non GMO shopping guide site

guide for shopping link here
Old 02-26-2012, 05:45 AM   #38
Stazon Splitcoast

I've never read a double blind study that finds problems with aspertame. However, that doesn't mean that the stuff is "safe" -- whatever safe is. For me, it is better that I weigh less than get off the stuff.

but I also respect others who do not think it is safe or for whom it makes them sick.

I'm a "whatever works for you" person. but i'll be keeping my eye out for scientific studies
Old 04-22-2012, 07:10 PM   #39
Crimping Master

Does anyone know if Crystal Light has more or less aspartame than Diet Coke? Ive been trying to cut back on Diet Coke by drinking CL but that maynotbe helping me mhch
Old 04-22-2012, 08:52 PM   #40
Cardstock Collector

Default Aspartame - and MS

My husband has MS (multiple sclerosis) and ALL artificial sweeteners are OUT for him. He has read studies (credible) that show neurological like symptoms can be caused by these sweetners. We switched to only STEVIA - from a plant, and there are several brands easy to find and not expensive. Just need a small amount and works fine in coffee and tea. READ those labels - there are way too many chemicals in our food!