Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-17-2010, 08:07 AM   #1
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Exclamation A Note About Paypal *Gifts*

A note to buyers and sellers about using the "gift" or personal payment method on Paypal.

Paypal's user agreement, Section 13.3 - lists all of the items that are ineligible for their dispute resolution process, including personal payments.

You are free to use any method of payment that both buyer and seller are comfortable with in our Buy, Sell, Trade forum, but we do want you to be aware that this can add some unnecessary risk to a transaction here or anywhere else on the internet.

My Gallery |My Blog | My Store
Love Splitcoast?
Help us love our volunteers by shopping at Amazon

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 12-18-2010, 04:36 AM   #2
Stampin' Fool

Thanks for the clarification.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:33 AM   #3
Proud Fan Club Member

TFS...valuable information.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:26 AM   #4
Rubber Obsessor

Also, as a seller, the buyer's address does not show up and you cannot print a mailing label, etc.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:00 PM   #5
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowowl View Post
Also, as a seller, the buyer's address does not show up and you cannot print a mailing label, etc.
I contacted Paypal awhile back to see if it was possible to pay for and print shipping labels for misc. packages (non-Paypal transactions), and I was given this link: www dot paypal dot com/shipnow (change "dot" into a period, with no spaces in between). You'll see all of the same fields, but will need to manually enter your shipping info in, as well as the person's email address so that Paypal will send them a shipment email. You will still receive delivery confirmation on first class parcels for $.19 cents extra, or free for Priority Mail ~ as well as Priority Mail discounts.
Old 03-25-2011, 09:47 PM   #6
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampinbeachgirl View Post
I contacted Paypal awhile back to see if it was possible to pay for and print shipping labels for misc. packages (non-Paypal transactions), and I was given this link: www dot paypal dot com/shipnow (change "dot" into a period, with no spaces in between). You'll see all of the same fields, but will need to manually enter your shipping info in, as well as the person's email address so that Paypal will send them a shipment email. You will still receive delivery confirmation on first class parcels for $.19 cents extra, or free for Priority Mail ~ as well as Priority Mail discounts.
I am so happy that you posted this info...I've been wondering forever if there was a way to print postage without having actually completed a transaction through Paypal. Just tried it and it worked. Thank you!! Thank you!!
Old 03-26-2011, 08:13 AM   #7
Hardware Hotshot

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyk3868 View Post
I am so happy that you posted this info...I've been wondering forever if there was a way to print postage without having actually completed a transaction through Paypal. Just tried it and it worked. Thank you!! Thank you!!
You're welcome !
Old 04-17-2011, 03:23 PM   #8
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampinbeachgirl View Post
There's also a link for this on the Paypal front page - it's under "multi-order shipping". Takes you right to the shipping page. I use it all the time.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Old 05-22-2011, 12:39 AM   #9
Glitter Queen

Thank you so much, Stampinbeachgirl!! I've been HOPING we could do that for the longest time!!
Old 06-14-2011, 04:29 AM   #10
Rubber Obsessor

I tend to use it to help the seller out with fees..... however I recently had a problem with never recieving my item and they (paypal) won't assist with a resolution.. just another area to consider when using this option....
Old 06-14-2011, 10:02 AM   #11
Glitter Queen

"jostampin". I am so glad you mentioned that! I am currently having trouble with a sale I had here. I spent well over $100 on stamp sets and never got them. I am currently in the middle of a dispute over this transaction and have escalated it to a claim with PayPal.

I am soooo glad I didn't "cheat" and sent the money as a gift because I would have been out my money! Because I sent it the right way, I may be eligible for a complete refund at the end of this month. We have to protect our purchases by sending money the correct way..
Old 07-10-2011, 01:01 PM   #12
Glitter Guru

Just got ripped off with a Paypal "gift" on a purchase transaction here too. Glad I only bought one item and only spent a little over $5. Still a bummer, won't be doing any more Paypal gifts. Guess you have to be careful no matter where you buy.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:26 PM   #13
Die Cut Diva

Paypal seems to have caught on to the use of gift payments to avoid fees. I was sending money to a friend last week and started to do it as a gift. Paypal now has a "here's how much the fee will be; click here to agree to pay the fee" for the sender of a gift payment.

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Old 08-16-2011, 05:22 AM   #14
dbs
Rubber Obsessor

I, too, began using the Paypal Gift option, upon the request of a seller. Everything went fine with the sale so I continued to use the gift option, thinking that was a good thing for the seller. Well, no more! I purchased several items from a seller on SCS last summer and to this date have not received a thing. Since I had used the gift option, there was no recourse through PayPal. A SCS moderator contacted the seller on my behalf and was unable to resolve the issue. As has been said, you have to be careful wherever you buy. I just never thought that I would have an issue on SCS. I've learned my lesson the hard way! Buyer beware! No more PayPal gift option for me!
Old 09-11-2011, 10:12 AM   #15
Polyshrink Goddess

Even after knowing the risks, I decided to continue to use Paypal gifts to pay for purchased items. I didn't want the seller to have to pay the fees and "gift" allows the buyer the opportunity to pay them.
I just recently had a problem over a $5 die with a well known member of this forum (although the purchase was not through SCS). I have tried emailing, contacting her through her blog and through Facebook but she won't answer me. I see her posting and blogging so I know that she is online.
It's obviously not the money.
I won't be using the gift option anymore.
Barbara

Last edited by barbara32ca; 09-11-2011 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: Clarified that the purchase was through another forum.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:36 AM   #16
Polyshrink Goddess

I found the info about a PayPal Fee, on PayPal, and it is such a small amount, less than 3% of the dollar amount of the transaction, and in many instances there is no fee at all.

If I hadn't looked at this thread I wouldn't have known that you don't need to be an Ebay Seller to do buy/sell transactions on PayPal. All that's necessary is that you both have e-mail addresses and a credit card.

Last edited by Bahb; 11-08-2011 at 06:56 AM.. Reason: Fond the answers to my questions.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:29 AM   #17
Polyshrink Goddess

AWWWW, this just happened to me....I wish I would of read this before making a purchase and doing this......she NEVER sent me my items and won't answer my emails...it's been 1 month....I am so so so upset...I'm raising 2 grandkids and the $20 is ALOT of money in this household...

sorry for venting...but I will never do a *gift* again .... paypal will not do anything because of it...
Old 12-12-2011, 09:37 AM   #18
Rubber Obsessor

I was just looking back at my issue. Happened in June. I see my seller hasn't even been on here since then and she used to be very active too. I was out much more than $20. I just don't understand how people can do this and not even feel bad about it! I am glad, though, that there still are many on this site who are honest and nice to work with!
Old 02-25-2012, 05:04 PM   #19
Proud Fan Club Member

Oh I did not know there were limitation on the use of paypal gifts as opposed to paying for something! Good to know as I have had a problem with paypal recently not letting me use the gift feature although from what they say it had nothing to do with my use of the gift choice but an expired debit card and a closed bank account (not my primary funding!) were the culprits. Still waiting on paypal to let me delete the old stuff!! But I don't know now after reading y'all's trials with the gift feature if I will use it anymore. Never realized there was no way to dispute it!!
Old 03-29-2012, 12:06 PM   #20
Polyshrink Goddess

Red face

i too never knew about problems....i have sold a few dies and never thought about it. fortunately, all mine were received ! i would have refunded the $$ and ate it if they hant gotten them. but i guess folks can say they didnt get them and really did !

too bad we have to be so vigilant, but it is necessary.

MY BLOG: www.mugsycreates.blogspot.com
Old 04-03-2012, 02:46 PM   #21
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via Skype™ to TexasGrammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugsy1 View Post
i too never knew about problems....i have sold a few dies and never thought about it. fortunately, all mine were received ! i would have refunded the $$ and ate it if they hant gotten them. but i guess folks can say they didnt get them and really did !

too bad we have to be so vigilant, but it is necessary.
Yes. Sad but true.

SU Demonstrator - Texas Rubber & Ink!

Check out the dazzling new Creative Crew Gallery for December! These creations are sure to jingle your creative bells!
Old 04-03-2012, 06:57 PM   #22
Polyshrink Goddess

Thank you so much for posting about the gift option for PayPal. It's not an option I've used but I always wondered why some sellers are so intent on getting payment that way. And to know that a seller's fee is less than 3% of a sale is a real eye opener, that's such a nomimal fee than what I imagined it to be.

I'm sorry to hear that anyone has gotten ripped off by shady sellers.
Old 07-27-2012, 03:38 PM   #23
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Send a message via AIM to Dani D

I just thought I'd share my recent experience with paypal on this matter. According to Paypal- ANY item that is purchased OUTSIDE of eBay is not eligible for buyer protection. Here was my issue: I purchased a concert poster from someone on a message board that I belong to. I received a poster however it wasn't the poster I actually ordered. The seller refused to work with me and because my transaction did NOT go through eBay- it was considered a "personal payment" and therefore not eligible for Buyer protection. NO- I did not send the payment as a gift either. I sent it as a regular payment for goods.

SO- basically according to Paypal- anytime you use Paypal for purchases that are not through eBay- you have no buyer protection. I have used Paypal for over 12 years and have never had an issue until recently. That was only one transaction but still frustrating to be told that I have no buyer protection.
Old 07-27-2012, 05:57 PM   #24

There are actually 2 ways to be sure you are protected when buying via PayPal. If you (as a buyer) denote the payment as for goods or services, you will be protected in the event of 'no merchandise received', etc. However, if buyers use the personal options, they are not protected by PayPal.

{Personal options include: "Gift" and "Personal"} Here at SCS, we do not recommend anyone using 'gift' or 'personal' for our BST/ISO transactions.

Check out the dazzling new Creative Crew Gallery for December! These creations are sure to jingle your creative bells!
Old 07-27-2012, 06:18 PM   #25
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Send a message via AIM to Dani D

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGrammy View Post
There are actually 2 ways to be sure you are protected when buying via PayPal. If you (as a buyer) denote the payment as for goods or services, you will be protected in the event of 'no merchandise received', etc. However, if buyers use the personal options, they are not protected by PayPal.

{Personal options include: "Gift" and "Personal"} Here at SCS, we do not recommend anyone using 'gift' or 'personal' for our BST/ISO transactions.
That is what I thought as well. On the transaction that I just had issues with- I did declare that the payment was for goods and I still lost the paypal case. Paypal specifically stated in the email I received from them (and in my phone conversation) that since the item was not purchased from ebay- it was considered a personal transaction and no buyer protection was valid. I still don't understand why but Chris in the resolutions department said exactly what I just typed above. Frustrating to say the least!
Old 07-27-2012, 06:29 PM   #26

Hi Dani!

Your loss of protection wasn't related to Ebay. Here are the terms from the PayPal site:

Always refer directly to PayPal for what is protected, but non Ebay transactions are protected provided you follow their instructions, so I don't want to confuse anyone here or make them think only Ebay is protected.

13. Protection for Buyers.

13.1 Types of Problems Covered. PayPal Purchase Protection (also known as PayPal Buyer Protection) helps you if you encounter either of these problems:
  • You did not receive the item you paid for with PayPal – “Item Not Received” (INR), or
  • You received an item you paid for with PayPal but it is “Significantly Not as Described” (SNAD) (as described below)
If your problem is a transaction that you did not authorize, please report the unauthorized transaction through the Security and Protection page.

An item is “Significantly Not as Described” if it is materially different from what the Seller described in the item listing. Here are some examples:
  • You received a completely different item. For example, you purchased a book and received a DVD or an empty box.
  • The condition of the item was misrepresented. For example, the description when you bought the item said “new” and the item was used.
  • The item was advertised as authentic but is not authentic.
  • The item is missing major parts or features which were not disclosed in its description when you bought the item.
  • You purchased three items from a Seller but only received two.
  • The item was damaged during shipment.
An item is not Significantly Not as Described if it is materially similar to the Seller’s item listing description. Here are some examples:
  • The defect in the item was correctly described by the Seller.
  • The item was properly described but you didn't want it after you received it.
  • The item was properly described but did not meet your expectations.
  • The item has minor scratches and was listed as used condition.
13.2 Eligibility Requirements.
  • To be eligible for PayPal Purchase Protection you must meet all of the following requirements:
    • Pay for the eligible item from your Account.
    • Pay for the full amount of the item with one payment. Items purchased with multiple payments – like a deposit followed by a final payment – are not eligible.
    • Send the payment to the Seller through:
      • the eBay “Pay Now” button or the eBay invoice; or
      • the “Send Money” button of your Account by selecting “eBay Item” and entering your eBay User ID and the eBay item number for purchases on eBay website; or
      • the Send Money tab on the PayPal website, by clicking the “Purchase” tab, or by selecting the “Checkout with PayPal” button or otherwise selecting PayPal as part of a Seller’s checkout flow.
    • Open a Dispute within 45 Days of the date you sent the payment, then follow the online dispute resolution process described below under Dispute Resolution. For Pay After Delivery transactions you must open your Dispute within 45 Days of the date of your transaction. For PayPal Grace Period transactions, you must open your Dispute within 60 Days of receiving your email transaction statement.
    • Have an Account in good standing.
  • For items purchased on eBay look for either a PayPal or eBay purchase or buyer protection message in the eBay listing. If you see a message, and you meet the eligibility requirements, then your purchase is covered by PayPal Purchase Protection. The purchase or buyer protection message will vary based on the eBay website. The message must appear on the top part of the listing and not under the “Description” or “Shipping and Payments” tabs. If the listing does not include the purchase or buyer protection message, then it is not eligible for PayPal Purchase Protection.
  • Items which you collect in person, or arrange to be collected on your behalf are only eligible for Purchase Protection if you use PayPal Grace Period when making your purchase. All items purchased using PayPal Grace Period are also subject to the Billing Rights Notice you received when you signed up for PayPal Grace Period. You can find this notice in your monthly PayPal Grace Period statement.
13.3 Ineligible Items. PayPal Purchase Protection only applies to PayPal payments for certain tangible, physical goods. Payments for the following are not eligible for reimbursement under PayPal Purchase Protection:
  • Intangible items, including Digital Goods
  • Services
  • Real estate, including residential property
  • Businesses
  • Vehicles, including motor vehicles, motorcycles, caravans, aircraft and boats
  • Custom made items
  • Travel tickets, including airline flight tickets
  • Items prohibited by the PayPal Acceptable Use Policy
  • Items which you collect in person, or arrange to be collected on your behalf, including items bought through In-Store Checkout at the retail point of sale (unless bought using PayPal Grace Period, see Eligibility Requirements above)
  • Items that violate eBay’s Prohibited or Restricted Items Policy
  • Industrial machinery used in manufacturing
  • Items equivalent to cash, including prepaid or gift cards
  • PayPal Direct Payments
  • Virtual Terminal Payments
  • Personal Payments

Love Splitcoast?

Old 08-16-2012, 05:38 AM   #27
Crimping Master

I wanted to add something to this thread A new trend that I am noticing when buying from other members on here is that I have been asked to pay an additional amount to cover PayPal fees. While I do not agree wtih this practice, I am not about to go back and forth with someone over $1. I wanted to let those who do not know, exactly what paypal fees are. They charge $0.30 + 2.9% of the total transaction to the person recieving the money for goods and/or services. So if you are buying something for $10 and $4 to ship, the fee that the seller will be charged is $0.70 (.40 for the total purchase price of $14 and a .30 fee). Just letting y'all know so no one takes advantage
Old 08-28-2012, 10:24 PM   #28
Kookie Creator

Default gifting option

I am sooo glad I decided to read the buyer beware for PayPal and gifting options. Although I am sorry so many had so many fraudulent experiences. Your experiences can teach us how to correctly go about buying and selling. And hopefully many More people read this and avoid the frauds and eventuallly end the scams by so many of us being aware and.vigilant.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:00 AM   #29
Glitter Queen

Default Paying with PayPal

I use PayPal for personal transactions...like ordering thru HobbyLobby or online stores and haven't a problem, yet. But I did try the 'gift' option, and for some reason it would not work for me, which I am glad about. I personally believe PayPal is out to get ALL they can get from the seller and buyer....greed for the 'green' stuff. If I am paying for something ordered from a relative, money order's way to go....
Old 11-29-2012, 06:09 PM   #30
Glitter Queen

To nillysilly....I would call PayPal about that just to make sure you were accurately "charged". Generally PayPal fees are about 3%.....you said they took 50%?? That seems extraordinarily high. And I have a basic account too. I would certainly check on that.
Old 11-29-2012, 08:34 PM   #31

Paypal doesn't do a 50% fee - here is the fee structure:

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees

Love Splitcoast?

Old 11-30-2012, 02:27 AM   #32
Glitter Queen

Default PayPal

I guess I am of the minority...I believe that PayPal should NOT be charging any type of fees, AT ALL for anything, payments going out and coming in!!
Old 11-30-2012, 07:53 AM   #33
Glitter Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by nillysilly_ol'bear View Post
I only know what ended up in my account. didn't mean to stir up a hornet's nest. I still like paypal and use it when I buy things. maybe donations are done differently.

I didn't set up the donations - someone else did that. I thought the entire gesture was nice all on its own and didn't question it. just felt bad that so much of each donation went to the fees.
I was only voicing my personal feelings about PayPal, but when you don't have much options out there to use that is free ... and PayPal is free to use I guess except for the small fees charged (i.e. $1.00 earning from store...only make .67 cents...they take out .33 cents...) which is good. PayPal could charge a monthly usage fee for their services...so I guess the small percentage they take is ok...It just that I see it as 'banking' and they're far from a bank...
Old 01-20-2013, 03:48 PM   #34
Embossing Fanatic

Greetings Ladies & (and possibly even) Gentleman: I had the most unfortunate experience using Craigslist & Paypal. I was buying a **NEW** cell phone from a guy on Craigslist named Jeff. It was a wonderful cell phone...everything I wanted or so I thought!!! I never ever saw it BEFORE I sent the money...$80!!! What I got was a TOTAL PIECE OF CRAP THAT WAS FALLING APART!!! If I had only known about Buyers Protection. Now that the time limit has passed, I see a lot more info than what I had access to right after I paid for the phone.

***Am I allowed to disclose all the info from this transaction or not??? Ha Ha Ha...I'd love to be able to do that!!!
Old 01-20-2013, 04:07 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUhrig View Post

***Am I allowed to disclose all the info from this transaction or not??? Ha Ha Ha...I'd love to be able to do that!!!

No

But thanks for the tip. Craigslist scares me to death!

Love Splitcoast?

Old 06-04-2013, 04:53 AM   #36
Crimping Master

Its true. Paypal now charges the gift fee to the sender. I never send the money as a gift. I just estimate what the fee would be and add it to the amount I am sending. You have to protect yourself. I have almost lost $60 on copics that never came and a total of $80 on stamps over the years that never came from bad deals. Thankfully they were all through paypal and I disputed them all and got every penny back.

Anyone who says they don't like paypal should hear these stories.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:59 PM   #37
Cardstock Collector

Email transfers! Directly from your bank to theirs. There is a fee $(1.50) like everything else in this world, but the money gets there safe and sound. There is no buyer protection plan, but certainly the way to go when sending/receiving cash from a trusted person/site
Old 07-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #38
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: well traveled thanks to the U.S. Navy, now retired to The Villages, FL

oh wow, all of these paypal stories and esp. the stories aobut people buying things and never getting them....just downright scary! And Lydia...I completely agree about Craig's List!

So...money orders are no good (since they can be easily forged) and checks take forever to receive, cash and then ship so really there aren't very many choices other than paypal I guess. Definitely good to know how to label/designate things to ensure you are protected by their buyer and seller protection agreements.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:41 PM   #39

Wink Just to keep you advised & aware

Just wanted to let this float a little bit to entice a few more to read this helpful information! If you haven't already checked post #1 in this thread, please take a moment to arm yourself with this knowledge.