Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2007, 04:28 PM   #321
Gallery Gazer

Send a message via AIM to stamperjules

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingscrown View Post
I've loved the movies with Megan Follows and finally got around to the book. I can't believe how well the movie was done and how well the characters match the book.

Lynne
I LOVED that whole series, and I thought the AoGG movie with Megan Follows was incredibly well done. I didn't see the Anne of Avonlea movie, but from what I understand about the 3rd one they made 4-5 years ago, it was nothing like any of the plots of the remaining 6 books, so I refused to watch it *L* Kind of stubborn that way, I guess.

I'm currently reading Harry Potter: Order of the Phoenix. I am rereading the whole series now that I have read (and digested) Deathly Hallows. It's so much fun to go back and read all of them now that I know all that there is to know! I just finished Goblet of Fire yesterday and there was so much in that book that I had forgotten about; it was great fun rediscovering it.

Before I started HP, I read two Susan Vreeland books, The Girl in Hyacinth Blue and The Passion of Artemesia. Both are wonderful, although I really liked the latter one the best of the two. She writes about paintings or the artists, weaving stories together from fact or just what might have been. Highly recommend either of those two
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-03-2007, 11:50 PM   #322
Glitter Guru

Smile

I just finished reading Definately Dead by Charlaine Harris last night and it was fantastic, but I did realise that I had missed the previous one out so I have to go back and read that one when I get it.

Next on my list to read is The Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko. I've never heard of it or him but found it in a bookstore and liked the sound of it. It's about vampires and magicians and possibly other supernatural beings based in Moscow. Will let you all know what it's like when I've finished it (might be a while - it's a big book with 531 pages of tiney tiny writing!!)

Happy Reading,

Vannessa
Old 11-09-2007, 10:43 AM   #323
Polyshrink Goddess

Vanessa...you would like The Stolen Child. It's a great read, and I'm not really into the genre of darker creatures, etc.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:27 PM   #324
Glitter Guru

Smile

I had a look on Amazon for tha book and it sounds interesting. I've added it to my wishlist so will one day get round to buying it.

This Night Watch is good so far. It's about some people called The Others who are divided into the Night Watch (who watch the Light Watch people- more or less the goodies) and the Light Watch (who are more or less the baddies). The Night Watch have the power to kill any vampires who have gone astray (the vampires need a licence to hunt) and any dark magicians who are casting curses which in turn will kill hundreds of people. Lots of action so far, but still 450 pages to go LOL

Vannessa
Old 11-10-2007, 09:46 PM   #325
Gabfest Goddess

Finished SENSE OF EVIL by Kay Hooper last night and have to say, it's my least favorite of the Bishop series so far. I liked the first 300 pages or so, but did not like the ending; it just didn't work for me. Granted paranormal fiction requires some suspension of disbelief, but it still has to seem plausible. Hopefully the last two books will be better. Decided to set them aside for a bit and read something a bit "lighter," so read half of Shirley Jump's new release, MIRACLE ON CHRISTMAS EVE, this afternoon. Could have finished it easily, but decided to work on a few projects this evening instead. Like the Christmas cards I'm making for a friend. Am sure to finish it Sunday, though. Haven't decided what I'll pull off the TBR next, but definitely need a break from all the serial killers.

Heather

Old 11-11-2007, 01:39 PM   #326
Polyshrink Goddess

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciez View Post
I just finished reading "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen. This is probably one of my favorite top five books of all time. It had everything..mystery, some history, romance, twists and turns and I couldn't put it down. g
I'm with you on this one! Great book.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:43 PM   #327
Polyshrink Goddess

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by debcst View Post
Any Jodi Picoult fans here? My friend has been raving about her books and I finally picked up Vanishing Acts. I loved it! Just found a couple more of hers at the library.
I loved Sister's Keeper, about a girl who was conceived as a bone marrow donor for her ailing sister. Excellent book, and a real conversation starter. I just finished Second Glance, which was totally different. A romantic story, a little historical fiction, and a ghost story all wrapped into one. Loved it!
Old 11-11-2007, 04:49 PM   #328
Insane Embellisher

I have a question for all of you who have read "Water for Elephants". A lot of you have said it was a great book - could someone just give me a quick outline of the story? I'm curious to see if it might be something I'd like!
Old 11-12-2007, 05:06 AM   #329
Crimping Master

Send a message via AIM to Kjpp

I'm reading Water for Elephants right now...I'll probably finish it today. I am loving it so far...one of those rare books you don't want to finish because you don't want it to be over. I just bought "World without end" by Ken Follett to start next. I loved LOVED "Pillars of the earth", it's one of my all time favorites! "World without end" takes off where Pillars ended. It was in hardcover, but I got it at Borders for 40% off plus 10% off for being a member. I couldn't resist!
Old 11-12-2007, 05:37 AM   #330
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjpp View Post
I'm reading Water for Elephants right now...I'll probably finish it today. I am loving it so far...one of those rare books you don't want to finish because you don't want it to be over. I just bought "World without end" by Ken Follett to start next. I loved LOVED "Pillars of the earth", it's one of my all time favorites! "World without end" takes off where Pillars ended. It was in hardcover, but I got it at Borders for 40% off plus 10% off for being a member. I couldn't resist!
What is it about?
Old 11-12-2007, 06:11 AM   #331
Crimping Master

"Water for Elephants" is a story set in a traveling circus in the 1930's. The story is told from the perspective of Jacob, who is now in a retirement home. He was the vet at the circus. It's about the different characters and animals who make a living at the circus. It has love, mystery,and thrills. I'm sure I'm not doing it justice in explaining it. It's a real page turner. I would say it's the best book I've read this year. You don't know what's going to happen next..and you can't wait to find out. HTH!
Old 11-12-2007, 12:49 PM   #332
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
"Water for Elephants" is a story set in a traveling circus in the 1930's. The story is told from the perspective of Jacob, who is now in a retirement home. He was the vet at the circus. It's about the different characters and animals who make a living at the circus. It has love, mystery,and thrills. I'm sure I'm not doing it justice in explaining it. It's a real page turner. I would say it's the best book I've read this year. You don't know what's going to happen next..and you can't wait to find out. HTH!
Thanks for the summary! It's now on my list of must-reads. Looking forward to it!
Old 11-12-2007, 01:26 PM   #333
Crimping Master

I had to post again...just finished Water for Elephants and I loved it right up until the last word! It didn't disappoint me for a second! It's a must must read.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:23 AM   #334
Polyshrink Goddess

Hi! I just found this thread today and I would love to tell you about a book I have just finished. I don't know whether it was mentioned here before, but I really loved it. It is called "The House at Riverton" by Kate Morton. I have had it for a while before really starting to read it, because I wasn't sure whether it was really my type of book. But it was great!

With love, Nessie
Old 11-17-2007, 03:26 AM   #335
Polyshrink Goddess

I just started working thru Stephenie Meyer's "Twilight" series -- they're excellent if you're into vampire fiction. Also reading "Nickel and Dimed in America" about a woman's experiments on living strictly on minimum wage jobs. It's scary and fascinating.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:28 AM   #336
Insane Embellisher

Let's see, I'm catching up one some of the books I wanted to read years ago and never had the time...I just finished Kiss the Girls by James Patterson. You may have seen the movie, starring Ashley Judd and Morgan Freeman. The book follows many of the same lines but is much more detailed and is VERY good. I very much enjoyed it.

Next, I'm going to re-visit Thomas Harris' "Hannibal Lecter" series. I've read Silence of the Lambs, Hannibal, and Red Dragon years ago and will probably re-read them before delving into Hannibal Rising.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:00 PM   #337
Stazon Splitcoast

Just finished "Please Stop Laughing at Me" this morning. A book club book. I can't say I was overly excited to read it. It was better than I thought it would be though.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:40 PM   #338
Die Cut Diva

I am reading this wierd book called Waking Lazarus. By T.L. Hines. It is about this guy that dies and comes back to life more than once.

I just finished this awesome book called "Lost in Nashvegas" I love it.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:42 PM   #339
Die Cut Diva

Has anyone ever read a book called "Geek love" I was told to read it. I think it sounds wierd. A geek is a cercius act where a person bights off the head of a chicken. Are you intrigued yet?
Old 11-20-2007, 04:14 AM   #340
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostamper View Post
Also reading "Nickel and Dimed in America" about a woman's experiments on living strictly on minimum wage jobs. It's scary and fascinating.
That's an excellent book...I learned a lot from it. It really opened my eyes to how hard those in minimum wage jobs must work just to pay the rent.

I just started Water for Elephants and I am totally drawn in already. Also re reading Pride and Prejudice (last time was in college...I'm finding I don't remember much!).
Old 11-20-2007, 06:10 AM   #341
Watercolor Wizard

Send a message via AIM to lesliemommy Send a message via MSN to lesliemommy Send a message via Yahoo to lesliemommy

Humm, on to the next book in the series......

Dark Side of the Moon by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Let's just say I have a "thing" for Vampires. Always have.
Old 11-23-2007, 07:50 PM   #342
Stazon Splitcoast

I just finished read Bloodshot, can't remember the exact name of the author. Sorry. Anyhoo..... once you get past the British/U.K. (cause it is set in Scotland, took me a while to figure that out) slang, that I didn't get......it was pretty good. Don't give up, keep reading, I just made up things for the slang words that I didn't know.

Jennik
Old 11-26-2007, 12:53 AM   #343
Watercolor Wizard

I just finished The Inheritance of Loss and was disappointed. I'm reading The Teahouse Fire now and I'm really enjoying it. I think I am going to have try check out Water for Elephants next.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:35 AM   #344
Glitter Guru

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliemommy View Post
Humm, on to the next book in the series......

Dark Side of the Moon by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Let's just say I have a "thing" for Vampires. Always have.
Me too!!! I have all of Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunter series as well and love them to bits!

I have just finished reading The Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko and it was really good - it's about the Others who have to stop the illegal vampires, but it's not so much of a vampire book like Anne Rice, Laurell K Hamilton etc. It's more to do with magic and the way the night watch and the day watch are battling against each other. Have put the next 2 in the trilogy on my christmas wishlist.

I'm going to read Micah and Strange Candy by Laurell K Hamilton next - it's 2 books in 1.

Vannessa xx
Old 11-26-2007, 11:24 AM   #345
Insane Embellisher

Oh, wow you ladies are into my kind of fiction! I'm jotting down the Dark Hunter series as well The Night Watch on my list for the library. Today I'm picking up the last in the Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer - can't wait to read it!!
Old 11-28-2007, 12:05 PM   #346
Rubber Obsessor

I just finished "Slacker Girl" by Alexandra Koslow--Awesome Chick Lit!
Right now I'm reading "The Increditble Shrinking Critic" by movie critic Jamie Bernanrd. Its enjoyable so far...
Old 11-29-2007, 01:42 AM   #347
Hardware Hotshot

Just finished reading "Devil May Cry" by Kenyon; it wasn't my favorite of her books. The whole Dark Hunter series has been great thus far, but I found this one very slow going.
I am a huge fan of vamp and supernatural fiction and would love to read any recommended authors. Be aware I have gone through MOST of them already-LOL! I am looking for a story I can really sink my teeth into-pun intended!
Andi
Old 11-30-2007, 08:39 AM   #348
Gabfest Goddess

Recent reads:

AUNT DIMITY'S DEATH by Nancy Atherton (Really liked this one, picked up more in the series yesterday)
CREWEL WORLD by Monica Ferris (Not as good as the Aunt Dimity; the beginning was so slow I almost didn't finish it)
THE SNOWBRIDE by Debbie Macomber (Excellent holiday story)

Current read: HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS by Debbie Macomber (two previously released stories reissued last year in this 2-in-1 anthology)

Heather

Old 11-30-2007, 03:36 PM   #349
Die Cut Diva

Location: In a hostile frozen wasteland...waiting for spring!
Send a message via MSN to Dione

I am reading "Twilight"...the first in that vampire series by Stephenie Meyer. I really sucked into it. I've never really read any vampire books before but I had heard so much about this series I had to try it. Loving it so far.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:35 PM   #350
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dione View Post
I am reading "Twilight"...the first in that vampire series by Stephenie Meyer. I really sucked into it. I've never really read any vampire books before but I had heard so much about this series I had to try it. Loving it so far.
My DD says this is the best series. She says the fourth one will be coming out next year in the fall.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:43 PM   #351
Hardware Hotshot

I finished Water for Elephants and Pride and Prejudice...loved them both! Kind of a weird combo to read at the same time, though.

I also recently read The Giver by Lois Lowry. It's intended for teens (my 13 yo is reading it in school) but seemed very adult to me...very thought provoking.

I'm starting Ethan Frome, on my 16 yo's recommendation. I missed a lot of these classics the first time around! Not sure if I like it or not, but I am drawn into it and curious to learn the main character's story.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:50 PM   #352
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
My DD says this is the best series. She says the fourth one will be coming out next year in the fall.
Well that's good I will have a couple more unread books to tide me over til then I heard its the same story as Twilight but told from Edward's point of view.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:41 PM   #353
Insane Embellisher

I'malmost done with the last book in the series called Eclipse. It's a great series!! You'll definitely enjoy the next 2 books...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dione View Post
Old 11-30-2007, 05:42 PM   #354
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Oh that's cool! I had no idea.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:16 PM   #355
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen71 View Post
I'malmost done with the last book in the series called Eclipse. It's a great series!! You'll definitely enjoy the next 2 books...
Good
Old 11-30-2007, 07:18 PM   #356
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via Yahoo to Sairabee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostamper View Post
I loved Sister's Keeper, about a girl who was conceived as a bone marrow donor for her ailing sister. Excellent book, and a real conversation starter. I just finished Second Glance, which was totally different. A romantic story, a little historical fiction, and a ghost story all wrapped into one. Loved it!
I love Jodi Picoult as well! I just finished her Nineteen Minutes, about a school shooting. It was very good. I have also read My Sister's Keeper, The Pact, and Plain Truth. I'd recommend all of them!

I just started Jennifer Weiner's The Guy Not Taken the other day. She's another of my favorite authors.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:49 PM   #357
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sairabee View Post
I just started Jennifer Weiner's The Guy Not Taken the other day. She's another of my favorite authors.
Oh let me know how that is. I've picked it up various times but have not gotten it since it's a set of short stories.

I'm hoping Jennifer releases a new book soon. It seems like it's been a while. I think Little Earthquakes was her last one, right?
Old 11-30-2007, 08:01 PM   #358
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanna106 View Post
Oh let me know how that is. I've picked it up various times but have not gotten it since it's a set of short stories.

I'm hoping Jennifer releases a new book soon. It seems like it's been a while. I think Little Earthquakes was her last one, right?
I *think* so. I've read all of them, except for this one. I typically don't buy/enjoy books that are all short stories, but I didn't realize this was one of them until I picked it up to read it the other day (asked for it as a birthday gift back in May). I'm on the second story, but they are all the same characters, so it seems like it's just another chapter. I'll keep you posted!
Old 12-01-2007, 10:41 AM   #359
Rubber Obsessor

I just finished Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult. I just started Stiff: The curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach. It's slightly morbid but really fasinating and humourous.

jennifer weiner & jane green are two other authors that a really enjoy.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:53 AM   #360
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by attoad View Post
I just finished Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult. I just started Stiff: The curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach. It's slightly morbid but really fasinating and humourous.

jennifer weiner & jane green are two other authors that a really enjoy.
I love Jane Green too. I *think* I'm all caught up with her books so far. I have a ton of Picoult left to read though! Weiner, Green, and Picoult are my three favorites!