Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-17-2007, 01:04 PM   #281
Rubber Obsessor

So Yesterday by Robert Westerfeld. I really like all his - trilogy - Uglies, Pretties, Specials, also Peeps (dh is reading the sequel) and I saw there was another series too, something about Midnight.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-19-2007, 05:31 PM   #282
Hardware Hotshot

If your library has these two books, they are worth the read.
A Random Act by Cindi Broaddus-this is Dr. Phils' sister and a tragic traffic accident, true story
another true story of a childs' life and finding her own food even-
The Search for Love-by Else Maria
I would read them again Carolyn
Old 09-22-2007, 05:33 PM   #283
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen71 View Post
I just got Janet Evanovich's latest Lean Mean 13. I love this series, because it's such a great escape for me. Stephanie Plum is a real character!
My friend just told me about this series . I just finished the first one and I'm well on the way in the second. I love this series! Glad to know there are alot more to go!
Old 09-26-2007, 02:52 AM   #284
Insane Embellisher

I am currently trying to read Lisey's Story by Stephen King. I'm reading it for the RIP autumn reading challenge on this blog. I'm a big King fan, and normally devour his books at lightning speed. For some reason though, I just cannot get into this one, and this is my second attempt.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:33 AM   #285
Polyshrink Goddess

That's what I'm reading. I am enjoying it...but I don't have a lot of time to read right now so it's not going quickly. The only Stephen King book I didn't like was "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon". I need to give it a second chance, but I haven't been able to force myself yet. Did you read "The Cell"?? It was soooo good!
Old 09-26-2007, 03:53 AM   #286
Polyshrink Goddess

I just finished reading "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen. This is probably one of my favorite top five books of all time. It had everything..mystery, some history, romance, twists and turns and I couldn't put it down. g
Old 09-26-2007, 03:53 AM   #287
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsPrincess View Post
That's what I'm reading. I am enjoying it...but I don't have a lot of time to read right now so it's not going quickly. The only Stephen King book I didn't like was "The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon". I need to give it a second chance, but I haven't been able to force myself yet. Did you read "The Cell"?? It was soooo good!

I'm not finding it a bad read, and I am enjoying it, but I'm just not motivated to read it as I normally would be with a King novel.

I liked Cell, it was pretty cool. Not one of my favourites though. The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon was okay, but not really great.

The Stand, Firestarter and Bag of Bones are favourites of mine, and Everything's Eventual is a fantastic short story collection.
Old 09-26-2007, 03:54 AM   #288
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciez View Post
I just finished reading "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen. This is probably one of my favorite top five books of all time. It had everything..mystery, some history, romance, twists and turns and I couldn't put it down. g

I have this on my "to read" list - I'm looking forward to it as I've only heard good things about it.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:14 AM   #289
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quixotic View Post
I am currently trying to read Lisey's Story by Stephen King. I'm reading it for the RIP autumn reading challenge on this blog. I'm a big King fan, and normally devour his books at lightning speed. For some reason though, I just cannot get into this one, and this is my second attempt.
I am a big fan of King's work but this book I heard was a departure from his typical style, I think that why I've been so hesitant to start it (and I even have it!). Is this what you're finding, that it's different than his other books? I'm glad to know it requires tenacity, so I'll be more inclined to stick it out when I do pick it up, rather than get frustrated and quit.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:16 AM   #290
Hardware Hotshot

I just finished A Thousand Splendid Suns....very moving, sad story. A nice follow up to The Kite Runner...the first was so much about boys and men; the latter, about women in Afghanistan.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:23 AM   #291
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef View Post
I am a big fan of King's work but this book I heard was a departure from his typical style, I think that why I've been so hesitant to start it (and I even have it!). Is this what you're finding, that it's different than his other books? I'm glad to know it requires tenacity, so I'll be more inclined to stick it out when I do pick it up, rather than get frustrated and quit.

*I* don't think it's much of a departure. His books are always...odd...and this one is no different. I am Really enjoying it though.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:36 AM   #292
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
It is and it isn't. While it definitely comes over as a King work, the pacing is very different from the majority of his work.

I have a feeling I will love the book when I finish it, but so far it is not a pageturner. I've been told that will change when I get a bit further in...
Old 09-29-2007, 08:35 PM   #293
Stazon Splitcoast

I am reading The Narrows by Michael Connely. It's pretty good. Hard to put down and do the million other things I'm supposed to doing (laundry, dishes, dinner, my real job, etc.) I just finished Agnes and the Hitman, by Jennifer Cruise. Excellent!!! Read that one in a day!!! I like Cruise, and her books make me think of Evanovich, in that I LOL a lot and weird looks from DH!!!!!

Jennik
Old 10-01-2007, 11:44 AM   #294
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennik View Post
I am reading The Narrows by Michael Connely. It's pretty good. Hard to put down and do the million other things I'm supposed to doing (laundry, dishes, dinner, my real job, etc.) I just finished Agnes and the Hitman, by Jennifer Cruise. Excellent!!! Read that one in a day!!! I like Cruise, and her books make me think of Evanovich, in that I LOL a lot and weird looks from DH!!!!!

Jennik
Yes, I have this problem as well. I had to resort to audio books for some so I can at least get something done. It's still not quite as satisfying as holding that printed book in my hands, but it does help out.

I'm working on the Odd Thomas series by Dean Koontz right now (Odd Thomas, Forever Odd, Brother Odd). I'm nearly finished with the first book and have been pleasantly surprised. For some reason, I didn't expect to like it but I really have gotten into the story.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:53 PM   #295
Compulsive Stamper

Default I'm reading Anne of Green Gables

I've loved the movies with Megan Follows and finally got around to the book. I can't believe how well the movie was done and how well the characters match the book. The book before this one was on CD... I listened to "Founding Mothers" by Cokie Roberts. It was very interesting to hear how much the "Founding Mothers" did and did not get credit for. If not for them though the Founding Fathers could not have done their jobs.

Lynne
Old 10-02-2007, 09:22 PM   #296
Stazon Splitcoast

"Yes, I have this problem as well. I had to resort to audio books for some so I can at least get something done. It's still not quite as satisfying as holding that printed book in my hands, but it does help out" Stef.

I am listening to an audio book during my daily comute And have a stack of currently reading (usually two or three at a time) and to be read stack by the bed (and a small stash of paperbacks in the car, in case I have a few extra minutes to kill). This is were my problem is..... Too many to read, not enough time!!!

Jennik

Last edited by jennik; 10-02-2007 at 09:24 PM.. Reason: oops typo!!
Old 10-03-2007, 10:16 PM   #297
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennik View Post
This is were my problem is..... Too many to read, not enough time!
Isn't that always the problem, LOL? My TBR pile has grown into a bonafide mountain, complete with rolling foothills, and never seems to get any smaller. I swear my books breed on their own!

Heatehr

Old 10-06-2007, 05:55 PM   #298
Sawyer's Texas LOSTie

I'm just about to finish "A Wedding to Die For" by Leann Sweeney. A really light mystery set in Houston/Galveston, second in the Yellow Rose Mystery series. Very enjoyable!
Old 10-06-2007, 06:55 PM   #299
Matboard Maniac

I just finished "The Concrete Blonde" by Michael Connelly, one of the Harry Bosch books and it was very good. Then, today I started "The Cold Moon" by Jeffrey Deaver, a Lincoln Rhyme book. I am sure it will be great since I love Lincoln and all the characters he works with. Both are thriller/mystery, no horror and very little offensive language. No real racy parts either. Just good old "who done it."
Old 10-09-2007, 10:45 AM   #300
Kookie Creator

I'm three months pregnant, so I'm reading "The Girlfriends Guide to Pregnancy," "What to Expect When You're Expecting," "Paula Deen's Biography It Ain't All About the Cooking," and a couple of pregnancy magazines.

I just rotate them and read one and then another the next day.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:23 PM   #301
Hardware Hotshot

Any Jodi Picoult fans here? My friend has been raving about her books and I finally picked up Vanishing Acts. I loved it! Just found a couple more of hers at the library.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:31 AM   #302
Embossing Fanatic

Smile Jaeup51

I am reading Andrew Gross The Blue Zone first time I have read one of his. Its really good so far. The best book by Jodi Picoult was My Sisters Keeper, it was sad and made me angry and I hated the way it ended but it was great. I think everyone should read it.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:35 AM   #303
Embossing Fanatic

Smile Jaeup51

I am reading Andrew Gross The Blue Zone first time I have read one of his. Its really good so far. The best book by Jodi Picoult was My Sisters Keeper, it was sad and made me angry and I hated the way it ended but it was great. I think everyone should read it.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:02 AM   #304
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeup51 View Post

Thanks for the recommendation!
Old 10-20-2007, 07:07 AM   #305
Die Cut Diva

Location: In a hostile frozen wasteland...waiting for spring!
Send a message via MSN to Dione

I am reading a book called "This is Your Brain on Music" - written by a former musician and music producer turned neuroscientist. Its all about how music affects us, why we get hooked on certain songs, why some songs move some people and not others etc etc. I am still on the music theory chapter but it will be a great read
Old 10-23-2007, 04:16 PM   #306
Hardware Hotshot

I have read several of Jodi Picout's books - I agree, My Sister's Keeper was the best so far. It was the county wide read two years ago in Kent County Michigan and she came over and spoke. I got to go to dinner with her and she is a wonderful person. I am reading Dirty Martini by J.A. Konrath, just finished one of Lincoln Childs earlier novels. ALso, just finished Jar City by Arnaldur Indridason, which is a mystery set in Iceland.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:22 PM   #307
Hardware Hotshot

read Glass Castle a long time ago, and still refer people to it-it's getting on the best read list soon , the way it looks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Mom Sue View Post
Just finished A Girl Named Skippy by Haven Kimmel about a girl growing up in the 70's in Indiana. It was pretty good. Also finished The Five People You meet In Heaven by Mitch Albom. I was disappointed - thought I would like it better. I'm waiting for holds at the library on The Life of Pi, The Glass Castle and The Time Travelers Wife. Hope they will be good!
Old 10-24-2007, 06:42 AM   #308
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by debcst View Post
Any Jodi Picoult fans here? My friend has been raving about her books and I finally picked up Vanishing Acts. I loved it! Just found a couple more of hers at the library.
I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with Jodi Picoult's books. The stories are good and I like the fact that they are written in such a way that makes it easy for you to put yourself in the character's shoes, etc. But, on the other hand, they are so "real" that I really have a difficult time not getting too attached and letting the story pull at my heartstrings. Does that make any sense? I like to read them but always have to follow them with a lighthearted, easy read.

Right now I'm working on Dean Koontz' Odd Thomas series (Odd Thomas, Forever Odd and Brother Odd). I received them as a birthday gift and I didn't expect to like them, but I'm really starting to get attached. Odd Thomas is just such an endearing character I can't help but wonder what's going to happen next. It is a bit of a departure from my usual reads, but I've been pleasantly surprised so far.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:59 AM   #309
Gallery Gazer

Great thread! I love to read but with kids I don't have as much time as I would like. Thanks for all the suggestions, reviews, & comments.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:00 AM   #310
Embossing Fanatic

Default Jaeup51

I am reading P.J. Parrish called Dead Of Winter. First one I have read of his but its really good.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:04 PM   #311
Gallery Gazer

Send a message via AIM to Disneywed

Celebrity Detox....just read 80% of it whole waiting on line to get it signed....wonderful book.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:24 AM   #312
Kookie Creator

I just finished The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd and I liked it a lot.

I also read A Thousand Splendid Suns recently, and that was good too.

For our book club, I just read Forever Lily about a lady unexpectedly adopting a daughter from China. It was a quick read and it was so so.

I got about 1/2 way through Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult (love all her books) and then it was due at the library and someone had it on hold and I couldn't renew it! Wah!

I recently discovered the website www.librarything.com and I entered quite a few books that I have read. I am so so excited because it gives you a list of 100 books it recommends for you based on the kinds of books you have read or authors you like. Can't wait to start reading some of those!

Visit my little galleria
Old 10-28-2007, 10:39 AM   #313
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Mom Sue View Post
I just finished The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd and I liked it a lot.

I also read A Thousand Splendid Suns recently, and that was good too.

For our book club, I just read Forever Lily about a lady unexpectedly adopting a daughter from China. It was a quick read and it was so so.

I got about 1/2 way through Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult (love all her books) and then it was due at the library and someone had it on hold and I couldn't renew it! Wah!

I recently discovered the website www.librarything.com and I entered quite a few books that I have read. I am so so excited because it gives you a list of 100 books it recommends for you based on the kinds of books you have read or authors you like. Can't wait to start reading some of those!
I really want to read The Secret Life of Bees, I've heard good things about it.

LibraryThing is awesome - I've got quite a few of my books entered on there. Great site.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:49 AM   #314
Embossing Fanatic

I just started reading the Odd Thomas series as well. I think I will like it!!! Maybe we can compare notes.

Quote:
Yes, I have this problem as well. I had to resort to audio books for some so I can at least get something done. It's still not quite as satisfying as holding that printed book in my hands, but it does help out.

I'm working on the Odd Thomas series by Dean Koontz right now (Odd Thomas, Forever Odd, Brother Odd). I'm nearly finished with the first book and have been pleasantly surprised. For some reason, I didn't expect to like it but I really have gotten into the story.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:04 PM   #315
Watercolor Wizard

Send a message via AIM to lesliemommy Send a message via MSN to lesliemommy Send a message via Yahoo to lesliemommy

right now I am reading * Sins of the Night* by Sherrilyn Kenyon.
Old 10-31-2007, 09:46 AM   #316
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by candistamper View Post
I just started reading the Odd Thomas series as well. I think I will like it!!! Maybe we can compare notes.
Were you surprised to enjoy it? For some reason, after the first couple chapters I said to myself "oh, I don't know about this" but now I can't seem to put it away. I am very glad I stuck with it.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:11 PM   #317
Insane Embellisher

I've just read "19 Minutes" (Jodi Picoult) - the first of hers I've read, recommended by my future DIL who has all her books and will lend them to me. Found 19 Minutes hard to put down.
Also recently read A Thousand Splendid Suns, which was brilliant. Makes us realise how lucky we are as women, to live in a Western culture. Enjoyed his first book too - The Kite Runner. Both were very educational for me, as I know little about that part of the world and it's culture.
Tim Farrington's "The Monk Downstairs" and the sequel newly published, "The Monk Upstairs" were great too.
Happy reading everyone, and thanks for keeping this thread going. I've now got a nice long list of "must have's"!
Tilly
Happy Fan Club member.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:51 AM   #318
Matboard Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to stebwood79

Quote:
Originally Posted by debcst View Post
The only Jodi Picoult book I have read is Vanishing Acts and I thought it was excellent, too. I will have to read a few more books in between before I pick up anotherone, though. I get too emotional! And, I really am more of a mystery fan. Any one read Water For Elephants? Love that book, I am currently reading A Thousand Splendid Suns. I have the Kite Runner, but haven't tried it yet. A friend of mine sent ATSS, so I thought I'd read it first.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:18 PM   #319
Compulsive Stamper

Send a message via Yahoo to stampnMT

I just started reading Black Creek Crossing by John Saul. This is the second book I have read by him and his books seem easy to read and hard to put down. I like the suspense in them. I am so into books right now and sometimes it seems like I am reading two at a time (especially when I should be doing other things: laundry, dinner, vacuuming, scrapbooking I am behind on everything.

Rene'
Old 11-02-2007, 10:21 PM   #320
Gabfest Goddess

Still working my way through Kay Hooper's backlist, particularly the Bishop series: OUT OF SHADOWS, TOUCHING EVIL, WHISPER OF EVIL and am currently reading SENSE OF EVIL. Whew! Only two more Bishop books to go after that. Also read Lisa Childs' DAMNED (book 3 in her Witch Hunt series for Silhouette Nocturne).

I seem to be on a bit of a paranormal romantic suspense kick lately.

Heather