Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-16-2012, 09:12 AM   #2201
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via AIM to Lazorkay

Just finished Bonnie, by Iris Johansen.

Will start either The Bone Bed by Patricia Cornwell or NYPD RED by James Patterson & Marshall Karp next.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 10-18-2012, 02:55 PM   #2202
Polyshrink Goddess

I just finished reading The Ice Princess by Camilla Lackburg and am starting her other book called The Preacher.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:29 AM   #2203
Gabfest Goddess

I finished The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling (contemporary fiction) over the weekend and started The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson (classic ghost story).

The Casual Vacancy is very definitely an adult novel, with adult situations, and is not for children or young adults. Here's what I wrote about it at GoodReads:

Quote:
I wasn't sure I was going to like this one after the first twently pages, and found it difficult to keep all of the characters straight the first half of the book. Am glad I stuck with it, though, as I was actually a bit choked up at the end. This is Rowling's first novel written for adults, and is as different from her Harry Potter series as any book could be. I think the mixed reviews this book has garnered stems primarily from people expecting to be swept into a fantastical realm like Hogwarts and Knockturn Alley--not the gritty reality in which they find themselves. My advice is to go into it with an open mind and no expectations.
As for Hill House...I usually stay far away from horror, but this book is a classic written in 1959, and -- judging from the sixty percent I have read so far, and the 1969 movie version I have seen -- it is more psychological than blood and guts. Here is the opening paragraph for your "pleasure".

Quote:
No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream. Hill House, not sane, stood by itself against its hills, holding darkness within; it had stood so for eighty years and might stand for eighty more. Within, walls continued upright, bricks met neatly, floors were firm, and doors were sensibly shut; silence lay steadily against the wood and stone of Hill House, and whatever walked there, walked alone.
Spooky, no?

Heather

Old 10-25-2012, 10:04 AM   #2204
Gabfest Goddess

Had a horrible night. For some reason, I simply could not sleep last night. I had a nice, long walk when I got home from work yesterday, followed by a warm shower and a good, hot meal. I nearly fell asleep while reading during the hour before a show came on I wanted to see.

Went to bed at 10pm exhausted, but could not sleep so ended up reading until I could no longer hold my book open, probably close to midnight. Woke around 1am, then again at 2am when I ended up reading until 4am and finishing The Haunting of Hill House. It was then another hour before I finally fell asleep and slept until 9:15am. Good thing I didn't have to get up early for work this morning!

Now I am tired and achey and just want to crawl back into bed--which would be a bad thing, as then I would have trouble sleeping tonight. Maybe it's the major cold front, drop in pressure and possible severe thunderstorms moving into our area.

Now starting: The Turquoise Mask by Phyllis A. Whitney. This is an older cozy mystery, printed in 1974. Whitney is featured author for October in the cozy mystery group at GoodReads.

Heather

Old 10-26-2012, 03:57 AM   #2205
Watercolor Wizard

Has anyone read A Lesson Before Dying? I am reading it now. My daughter chose it for a h.s. assignment, and I decided to read it along with her. It's pretty good, just not a "pick me up." Definitely makes you think and makes you feel the frustrations of the main character, Grant. I think we've all wondered what else is out there for us....
Old 10-26-2012, 07:09 AM   #2206
jor
Stazon Splitcoast

Hello all - I don't post here often, but I read this thread all the time.

I have (I think) all the Phyllis Whitney books. When I was in high school and young adult I couldn't wait to read all those books! I still have them. I started re-reading some of them and still found them pretty good, but can't get into them as I once dead. I guess it is time to send this HUGE box of books off to someone who will enjoy them!
Old 10-26-2012, 10:47 AM   #2207
Gabfest Goddess

Cynamom: No, sorry, have not read that one. I do hope you and your daughter both like(d) it, though.

Hi Joanne! I have had four of Whitney's books in Mount TBR for what seems forever. They were a box set, and no idea where they came from. Since I actually slept last night, I am not more than two or three chapters into The Turquoise Mask. Hopefully I will get some time to read a bit this weekend!

Heather

Old 11-07-2012, 10:41 AM   #2208
Gabfest Goddess

Finished The Turquoise Mask by Phyllis Whitney and Home For a Spell by Madelyn Alt (book 7 in her cozy paranormal "bewitching" series). Am now two-thirds of the way through Haven by Kay Hooper, the 13th in her "Bishop" series.

Heather

Old 11-09-2012, 04:32 AM   #2209
Full of Malarky

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyinseattle View Post
Heather, way to go, that's awesome progress!

Jen, I just got "Someone Knows My Name" by Lawrence Hill and am wondering if it is the same as "The Book Of Negroes". Is it about Aminata Diallo? It's in my to be read pile.
It's a fabulous read , Joanne . And yes, Someone Knows My Name is the US title for the Canadian Book " The Book of Negroes." I guess it was thought that one title would be okay in Canada and a different title would work better in the US.

I read it about 3 years ago - LOVED it! Enjoy!
The World Needs More Canada - Bono
Old 11-09-2012, 09:21 AM   #2210
Swapper of the Month - July 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by debzi333 View Post
It's a fabulous read , Joanne . And yes, Someone Knows My Name is the US title for the Canadian Book " The Book of Negroes." I guess it was thought that one title would be okay in Canada and a different title would work better in the US.

I read it about 3 years ago - LOVED it! Enjoy!
Hey Deb....hope all is well at your end of the country.
Canadians are always switching out titles etc. (trying to be correct which is respectful)
I have been reading MYRCA books to my young readers....End of Days by Eric Walters....
Old 11-10-2012, 07:44 AM   #2211
Full of Malarky

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiejen View Post
Hey Deb....hope all is well at your end of the country.
Canadians are always switching out titles etc. (trying to be correct which is respectful)
I have been reading MYRCA books to my young readers....End of Days by Eric Walters....

Yes, Jen! I read a lot " Can Lit" . I read a couple of the long and shortlisted Giller Prize books this year - Inside by Alix Ohlin- didn't care for it, and Our Daily Bread by Lauren Davis, which I thought was fabulous!

I've also been reading some of the Governor General finalists - The Juliet Stories by Carrie Synder and I'm just finished The Purchase by Linda Spalding - really a fabulous but sad read. Oh yeah - one other Giller Prize finalist - The Imposter Bride. That was a great read! I do read the Man Bookers too - not all of them - but ones that interest me.

Hmm I don't know MYRCA - will have to look it up, but I remember my sons loving the novels by Eric Walters when they were young!
The World Needs More Canada - Bono
Old 11-11-2012, 10:50 AM   #2212
Proud Fan Club Member

Just finished Storm Swords (3rd in the Game of Thrones series) and started Feast for Crows (the 4th book). I am thoroughly enjoying this series.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:58 PM   #2213
Swapper of the Month - July 2013

I love this thread I wish I had time to read all of them
Old 11-14-2012, 05:20 AM   #2214
Rubber Obsessor

Location: Antelope, Ca...Not exactly Kaua'i where my heart is & would love to be

To change up the "genre" of books, I just finished "Does the Noise In My Head Bother You" by Steven Tyler...great memoir. Prior to that was "Diary of a Player" by Brad Paisley and now I am working on the TYler Hamilton book : "The Secret Race" about the underworld of doping in the professional cycling world. It is a great read. I am more of a biographical and Non-Fiction reader but will pick up fiction as well. If I pick up a book at the bookstore, peruse it and then get sucked into it, then I will take it home with me. I just got my Kindle and going to start loading that up soon I am sure. Happy reading!
Old 11-15-2012, 09:21 AM   #2215
Gabfest Goddess

Books finished:
Haven by Kay Hooper (Bishop #13, paranromal suspense)
Unexpected Bride by Lisa Childs (romance)
Postmortem by Patricia Cornwell (Scarpetta #1, suspense)

Currently (re)reading:
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien (Classic/YA/fantasy)

This was the first Patricia Cornwell I have read, and am glad I have a couple more in Mount TBR. Leave it to me to finally get round to reading a great suspense author when she has a backlist of 20+. I also liked the Kay Hooper, can't wait for the next Bishop book out the end of this month.

I am not too far into The Hobbit as yet--too wrapped up in other things, though I have looked forward to diving into this again before the first movie comes out next month. And now, of course, I am also wanting to rewatch all of the LOTR movies. Might have to do that one of these weekends...

Heather

Old 11-30-2012, 08:22 AM   #2216
Gabfest Goddess

Wow, people must have been really busy over Thanksgiving!

I finished reading The Hobbit, now reading a holiday 3-in-1 from last year, Holiday Hideout by Vicki Lewis Thompson, Jill Shalvis and Julie Kenner. First story (by VLT) was good, am now in middle of the second story, by JS. VLT's stry takes place over Thanksgiving, JS's over Christmas, and the last NYE.

Hope everyone finds time to read over the busy winter holidays!

Heather

Old 11-30-2012, 10:00 AM   #2217
Watercolor Wizard

Got the new Janet Evanovich started ... Notorious Nineteen! You know it's going to be good when Ranger and Lula show up in the first 20 pages!
Old 12-01-2012, 03:50 AM   #2218
Rubber Obsessor

In the middle of Joel Rosenberg series. if you like political thrillers these will fufill the wish list, they are as real as today's headlines. However there is a 3-page list of characters. Currently there are 5 books in the series.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:18 PM   #2219
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordTrix View Post
Wow, people must have been really busy over Thanksgiving!

I finished reading The Hobbit, now reading a holiday 3-in-1 from last year, Holiday Hideout by Vicki Lewis Thompson, Jill Shalvis and Julie Kenner. First story (by VLT) was good, am now in middle of the second story, by JS. VLT's stry takes place over Thanksgiving, JS's over Christmas, and the last NYE.

Hope everyone finds time to read over the busy winter holidays!

Heather
Earlier this year I decided to read all four Tolkien books again. Reread The Hobbit (for the second time) and Fellowship of the Rings (for the third time). I put the series aside when I started Game of Thrones, but I will definitely go back for The Two Towers and Return of the King. I'm going to the LOTR Marathon on Saturday -- in preparation for The Hobbit, which opens next week.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:25 PM   #2220
Watercolor Wizard

I am reading a great book by Peter Heller called The Dog Stars. It's so good! Anyone read it? I am not too far into it, but it is about a guy living out west in America after a virus has killed 99 percent of the population... kind of him coming to terms with it all, accepting the new way things are and hoping for the future. I like the main character a lot. Curious to see where it will go....
Old 12-18-2012, 07:49 PM   #2221
Gabfest Goddess

Lois: I was wishing I'd taken the time to reread the LOTR series after seeing the movies. Maybe some day. There was a lot I didn't remember about them. My memory of The Hobbit was much better--I think there was only one scene in the book I did not remember. Now to see the movie!

Have finished four books since the end of November, and have surpassed my goal of 100 books for this year:
Night's Darkest Embrace by Jeaniene Frost (paranormal romance novella feat. demons)
A Wallflower Christmas by Lisa Kleypas (historical romance, 5th in a series, though I have not read the earlier books...yet. I'm feeling a need to go back and correct that!)
Under the Mistletoe by Jill Shalvis (Cont. romance novella, Lucky Harbor 6.5--another series I haven't read, though I do now have books 1 and 2...I was too impatient to read them first.)
Christmas Eve in Friday Harbor by Lisa Kleypas (Cont. romance, book one of series--Loved this and looking forward to reading the rest.)

Currently reading:
Yule Be Mine by Lori Foster (4-in-1 romance anthology)

Heather

Old 01-09-2013, 05:16 PM   #2222
Gabfest Goddess

Wow, where did everyone go? I hope you all had a good break. Anyone get new books for Christmas? Me, not a one. Not even a B&N or Amazon giftcard. *Sniff*

I managed another four books after my last post to exceed my 2012 reading goal of 100 by six. The last four for the year were:
* Yule Be Mine by Lori Foster (4-in-1 romance anthology)
* Holly Lane by Toni Blake (Destiny #4, cont. romance)
* A Winter Bride by Meredith Webber (cont. romance)
* Paris in Color by Nichole Robertson (coffee table photo featuring photos of Paris, France)

Naturally, I have already committed to another 100 books in the GoodReads 2013 Reading Challenge. Two down, 98 more to go...

* The Love Talker by Elizabeth Peters (cont. romance)
* Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters (Amelia Peabody #1, hist. rom.)

Can't wait to see what all of you have been reading!

Heather

Old 01-09-2013, 07:20 PM   #2223
Stazon Splitcoast

Hi Heather!!

I didn't get one book for Christmas either. boo!!! hiss!!! Glad you made your goal of 100 books!! way to go!!

Since the 1st I have read :
The Bone Bed, The Tombs, and The Black Box. All 3, what I would consider to be man books. I am ready for a good smoochy romance!! May have to go dig out a Nora Roberts book.

Happy New Year!!

jennik
Old 01-10-2013, 07:57 AM   #2224
Gabfest Goddess

Hi Jenni!

You'd think people in our lives did not know us, not getting any books for Christmas. Ah, well. I know I will get some for my birthday. If nothing else, the library's monthly sale is the Saturday before. *grin*

LOL on the "man books." The titles sound like they were some pretty heavy, possibly dark, action/suspense novels. I too like reading those on occasion, but not as a steady diet. Sometimes you need a good romance to lighten things up!

I'm actually about to start the latest Kay Hooper, The First Prophet -- defiitely not a "light" read, but I have plenty of those to choose from when I am done.

Heather

Old 01-11-2013, 01:20 PM   #2225
Polyshrink Goddess

I finished Camilla Lackburg's book called The Preacher and am now on her book called The Stonecutter. I also read The Secret Keeper by Kate Morton, What a good book!
Old 01-11-2013, 02:23 PM   #2226
Insane Embellisher

Half way through The Forgotten by David Baldacci
Old 01-16-2013, 06:14 AM   #2227
Rubber Obsessor

Location: Antelope, Ca...Not exactly Kaua'i where my heart is & would love to be

I am working on "Round About the Earth" the history of circumnavigation. Love it so far...especially the factor of how the concept of the International Dateline came to be et al.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:08 AM   #2228
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordTrix View Post
Hi Jenni!

You'd think people in our lives did not know us, not getting any books for Christmas. Ah, well. I know I will get some for my birthday. If nothing else, the library's monthly sale is the Saturday before. *grin*

LOL on the "man books." The titles sound like they were some pretty heavy, possibly dark, action/suspense novels. I too like reading those on occasion, but not as a steady diet. Sometimes you need a good romance to lighten things up!

I'm actually about to start the latest Kay Hooper, The First Prophet -- defiitely not a "light" read, but I have plenty of those to choose from when I am done.

Heather
My mom says I dodn't get any books because she can't keep up with what I have or have not read. Hellloooo...... GIFT CARD!!! sheeshhh
Downloaded some romance novels onto my kindle, now if I could just stay awake long enough to read them.

Also started Garment of Shadows, by Laurie King. I liked the last book I read, so I have high hopes for this one.

jennik
Old 01-22-2013, 11:44 PM   #2229
Inking Addict

I am reading Nicholas Sparks right now, The Notebook!
Old 01-24-2013, 06:31 AM   #2230
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennik View Post
My mom says I don't get any books because she can't keep up with what I have or have not read. Hellloooo...... GIFT CARD!!! sheeshhh
Exactly!

After helping me move last summer, my sister told me she was never buying me another book. Like they didn't know I had a lot of books before then--and it's not like there aren't any books in their house, either. To be honest, I half-expected her to get me an ereader for Christmas.

Currently reading a cozy mystery in Kate Collins' "Flower Shop Mystery" series, Night of the Living Dandelion.

Heather

Old 01-24-2013, 06:42 PM   #2231
Stazon Splitcoast

Started Killing Camelot by B O'Reilly. Before my time, so the history is interesting.
Also currently reading The Ideal Man, by J Garwood and Notorious Nineteen by J Evanovich.

jennik
Old 02-02-2013, 10:03 AM   #2232
Rubber Obsessor

I have finished reading Just Alice about a lady with early onset Alzheizmers disease. It was a very interesting book. Have also finished Rod Stewart's autobiography. Interesting. A Walk Across the Sun is my new favorite. Can't wait till his new book comes out in March. Right now on my kobo I'm reading the Paris Wife. Jury is out on it at the moment.
What new and exciting books has everyone else been reading ?
Old 02-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #2233
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernstamper View Post
Half way through The Forgotten by David Baldacci
After finally reading all five Game of Thrones books (which I thoroughly enjoyed!), I decided to try something new (for me), a David Baldacci series -- King & Maxwell. I just finished Split Second and started Hour Game. Pretty good reading.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:22 PM   #2234
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb smith View Post
I have finished reading Just Alice about a lady with early onset Alzheizmers disease. It was a very interesting book. Have also finished Rod Stewart's autobiography. Interesting. A Walk Across the Sun is my new favorite. Can't wait till his new book comes out in March. Right now on my kobo I'm reading the Paris Wife. Jury is out on it at the moment.
What new and exciting books has everyone else been reading ?
I'm reading Defending Jacob. It's really good, a page turner.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:36 PM   #2235
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetostamp3 View Post
I'm reading Defending Jacob. It's really good, a page turner.
I read that a while back. You are right - it kept me up late into the night.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Old 02-22-2013, 06:09 AM   #2236
Cardstock Collector

I love all the books by Nicci Gerrard - they are lovely and always something really precious to me. After reading I always sigh and I'm a bit sad, that the story is over already - special recommendation: "The Winter House"
Old 03-02-2013, 10:48 AM   #2237
Proud Fan Club Member

I just finished reading The Scottish Prisoner by Diana Gabaldon. It is a "between the books" novel -- falling between Book 1 and Book 2 of the Outlander Saga. Claire is still back in the "present" and Jamie is a paroled prisoner of war, working on the farm where William is around two or three years old. I didn't enjoy the first Lord John book I read, but there is quite a bit of Jamie in this book as well as Lord John.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:51 AM   #2238
Proud Fan Club Member

I also read "Hidden," the latest House of Night book. I'm back with David Baldacci -- "Simple Genius."
Old 03-04-2013, 09:32 AM   #2239
Gabfest Goddess

ACK! I could swear I posted a message last week, but maybe after clicking "preview" I forgot to hit "post"? *Thunk*

JenniK: Refering back to our exchange in message #2228 about not getting books or GCs for Christmas . . . I actually got a B&N giftcard for my birthday!

Lois: Congrats on getting through the entire Game of Thrones series. Way to go! Iíve only read one Baldacci so far myself, The Christmas Train, which was more a "cozy" mystery than suspense but pretty good. Would like to try something more of his.

I'm feeling like a bit of a slacker right now, as I am four books behind my goal of 100 for this year. I am hoping to make up some of that differnce this month. Here's what I have read so far this year.

01. The Love Talker by Elizabeth Peters (Mystery)
02. Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters (Mystery, Amelia Peabody #1)
03. The First Prophet by Kay Hooper (Suspense, Bishop Files #1)
04. Over Key West and the Florida Keys by Charles Feil (Travel)
05. Luke by Jill Shalvis (Romance)
06. Murder by the Glass by Michele Scott (Mystery, Wine Lover's #2)
07. Night of the Living Dandelion by Kate Collins (Mystery, Flower Shop Mystery #11)
08. Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf (Classic)
09. If Walls Could Talk by Juliet Blackwell (Mystery, A Haunted Home Renovation #1)
10. Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen (Classic, reread)
11. Who Do, Voodoo? by Rochelle Staab (Mystery, Mind for Murder #1)
12. Rainsong by Phyllis A. Whitney (Rom-suspense)
13. The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery (Lit Fic)

"Hedgehog" was good, but definitely not a fast read. You may find yourself rereading some passages, and there was one two-page chapter on philosophy that made my head hurt, LOL. I would definitely recommend it if you like literary fiction set in present-day France.

Currently reading:
Kansas City Cowboy by Julie Miller (The Precint: Task Force #2, Rom-suspense)

Heather

Old 03-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #2240
Stazon Splitcoast

well, yea for you HEATHER!! what are you going to get?? got your list ready??

jennik