Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2012, 09:49 AM   #2121
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via AIM to Lazorkay

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiejen View Post
Downloaded the first 50 shades of grey book and skim read it after I realized what type of book it was. Now I have to find a way to permanently remove it from my account.

go to your account, to your list of books.

You can delete it there - there should be a delete button on the far right side of the page, if I remember correctly.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 06-05-2012, 09:49 AM   #2122
Swapper of the Month - July 2013

Quote:
Downloaded the first 50 shades of grey book and skim read it after I realized what type of book it was. Now I have to find a way to permanently remove it from my account.
It is just not for me.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:50 AM   #2123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazorkay View Post
go to your account, to your list of books.

You can delete it there - there should be a delete button on the far right side of the page, if I remember correctly.
Will do thanks for the tip.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #2124
Gabfest Goddess

Hi Linda! I am currently borrowing a friend's Nook ereader (one of two she owns), and so far the experience has not been horrible. It is lighter to hold than a hardcover, but I've also noted that it can be a bit "touchy" at times--sometimes you have to tap it two or three times to get the page to turn, other times it turns two or three on you, lol. I have also seen another friend's Kindle, but have not had the chance to actually try it out to see how it compares. And I really wouldn't be surprised to receive one or the other for Christmas.

Currently reading: River Marked by Patricia Briggs. Almost done, actually.

You can find me HERE on GoodReads. There should be a button/link to add as a friend. A security question will come up as well, asking how you know me--just enter "SCS Books". Since I am in 7 or 8 groups, I had to add that so I knew who people were. The groups in which I am most active are Cozy Mystery, TNBBC (general book disc), and Classics for Beginners.

A cozy mystery is a mystery in which there isn't a lot of blood, guts or violence. To quote from a thread in the CM group: "In general, most cozy mysteries are set in small towns and involve a sleuth who is not involved in a profession related to crime solving. Generally the sleuth stumbles into the crime and is somehow drawn into helping solve the mystery. Cozy's general don't describe the crime/murder in graphic details and adult scenes are kept behind closed doors, so to speak."

Some of my favorite cozy authors include Nancy Atherton, Agatha Christie, Kate Collins, Casey Daniels, Annette Blair, Heather Webber (AKA Heather Blake), Aaron Elkins, Kaye Morgan, Sheila Lowe, Sheila Connolly, Alice Kimberly and LeAnn Sweeney.

Oh--if I don't approve you right away as a friend, don't panic. MG&E killed my computer yesterday. Some Chainsaw Wielding Idiot trimming branches away from power lines either sliced through a line, or cut a branch that wasn't properly secured that took the line down, causing an outage on my block. When I went to boot my computer up last night, once power was back on, it was to be greeted by the Blue Screen of Death. Majorly unhappy. I found my op disk, and am hoping I can get it back up and running myself. Really cannot afford to fix or replace the harddrive right now. So, cross fingers for me (and the Chainsaw Wielding Idiot that we don't cross paths).

If I cannot resurrect the computer, I will try to remember to check back in from work Friday, but may be scarce a while.

Heather

Old 06-07-2012, 03:16 PM   #2125
Cardstock Collector

Who is the author? Just started the Codex Alera Series by Jim Butcher and it is fantastic!!!
Old 06-08-2012, 06:26 AM   #2126
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrisakshope View Post
Who is the author? Just started the Codex Alera Series by Jim Butcher and it is fantastic!!!
Which book are you referring to when you ask "who is the author?"
Old 06-08-2012, 10:34 AM   #2127
Polyshrink Goddess

I just finished Nora Roberts The Next Always: Book One and The Last Boyfriend: Book Two of the BoonsBoro Trilogy, they were good!
I read so many different books, some of the good ones were:

G-Dog and the Homeboys:Father Greg Boyle and the Gangs of East Los Angeles by Celeste Fremon

Tattoos on the Heart-By Gregory Boyle. They both are really good, about a priest who dedicates his life to the gangs in L.A. They even have cafes, a bakery and chips, salsa, etc for sale in grocery stores called Homeboy Industries.

Many Lives, Many Masters by Brian Weiss- One of my all time favs

The Man Who Lives with Wolves by Penny Junor

Lone Wolf by Jodi Picoult-I like this, it made me read the one above this

The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom- Some say it's like The Help, it was good.

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed

I enjoyed all of these books! I also love The Outlander series, they are awesome!
Old 06-11-2012, 07:07 AM   #2128
Gabfest Goddess

Sigh...I hate not having computer access from home. Nope, still no luck with the computer. Since I have to move at end of July, computer repairs aren't really in my budget. Trying to justify putting it on a credit card, and cringe every time I think of it. :-\

Linda: Saw your friend request Friday and approved it. Did you know we are 77% "compatible" on books?

FINISHED SINCE LAST WEEK:

River Marked by Patricia Briggs (paranormal/urban fantasy; Mercy Thompson #6)
Happily Never After by Jeaniene Frost (vampire novella)
Reckoning by Jeaniene Frost (vampire novella)
Devil to Pay by Jeaniene Frost (vampire novella)
Hunting Ground by Patricia Briggs (paranormal/urban fantasy; Alpha and Omega #2)
Fair Game by Patricia Briggs (paranormal/urban fantasy; Alpha and Omega #3)

CURRENTLY READING:
Almost Home by Vicki Lewis Thompson (romance novella, Sons of Chance #6.5)
Plum Lovin' by Janet Evanovich (romance)

Hunting Ground had my favorite opening of all the Patricia Briggs books. I don't want to ruin anything for those who might be interested in reading the series (and I DO recommend reading the Mercy and A&O books in order), but absolutely loved it.

Almost Home is a novella offered for free during May and June by VLT. It is available for both Nook and Kindle. Search on the title if interested. It is a prequel to her next trio of books in the "Sons of Chance" series. I will probably finish that tonight before going on to finish Plum Lovin'. I read the first two chapters last night only because I couldn't sleep, and didn't feel like powering up the Nook again.

UP NEXT:
Generous Death by Nancy Pickard (Jenny Cain mystery #1) -- Pickard is the featured author for June in the Cozy Mystery Group at GoodReads. I lucked on to the first books in two different series by her at the local used book store.

Heather

Old 06-13-2012, 12:40 PM   #2129
Gabfest Goddess

FINISHED:

Almost Home by Vicki Lewis Thompson (romance novella, Sons of Chance #6.5)
Plum Lovin' by Janet Evanovich (romance)
Generous Death by Nancy Pickard (mystery, really liked this one)

CURRENTLY READING:

Beautiful Sacrifice by Elizabeth Lowell

Heather
(Still computerless at home)

Old 06-13-2012, 01:41 PM   #2130
Die Cut Diva

Heather I wanted you to know...since I read so many of the books you recommend that I just happened to pick up a really good read at the library last week. I liked it so much that I looked to see if she had written anything else and when I returned the first book today I got another book by her. Her name is Susanna Kearsley and the first book I read was "A Rose Garden", the book I'm reading now is "The Winter Sea". Just wanted to recommend them to you if you haven't read them yet. The first was a time travel love story and the second may be also...I'll let you know.

Anne I have just finished Nora Roberts "The Next Always" and planned to read the next book in the series but found the Susanna Kearsley books instead. They are on my to read list!!
Old 06-13-2012, 01:42 PM   #2131
Die Cut Diva

Ann sorry I mispelled your name, I wasn't able to edit it.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #2132

Escape by Carolyn Jessup
Can't put it down.....
Old 06-15-2012, 10:28 AM   #2133
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriciae View Post
Heather I wanted you to know...since I read so many of the books you recommend that I just happened to pick up a really good read at the library last week. I liked it so much that I looked to see if she had written anything else and when I returned the first book today I got another book by her. Her name is Susanna Kearsley and the first book I read was "A Rose Garden", the book I'm reading now is "The Winter Sea". Just wanted to recommend them to you if you haven't read them yet. The first was a time travel love story and the second may be also...I'll let you know.
Patricia: Great minds really do read alike, LOL! Both books by Susanna Kearsley are on my book wish list.

I ended up staying up a lot later than intended last night to finish Beautiful Sacrifice by Elizabeth Lowell. The last couple chapters were rather creepy (especially for late-night reading), but I think the fact I couldn't put it down until done says how good it was.

Currently reading: Ghost a la Mode by Sue Ann Jaffarian.

Heather
(Looks like I won't have my home computer until next Friday. Argh!)

Old 06-18-2012, 05:58 PM   #2134
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriciae View Post

Anne I have just finished Nora Roberts "The Next Always" and planned to read the next book in the series but found the Susanna Kearsley books instead. They are on my to read list!!
Loved the Nora Roberts series!! But then I do love all her books. Adding your recomendation to my list at the library. Always on the look out for books to read.

jennik
Old 06-18-2012, 06:01 PM   #2135
Stazon Splitcoast

Read this weekend:
Trouble in Mudbug (mystery/romance)
Trading Manny (Non Fiction about Baseball and steriods)
Mrs. Tom Thumb (biography)
Beastly Things (mystery)

Currently reading
That Woman (biography on Wallis Simpson)
The Blue Last (mystery)
Trading Christmas (romance??)

jennik
Old 06-19-2012, 03:50 AM   #2136
Stazon Splitcoast

I just finished the Next Always as well.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:18 AM   #2137
Gabfest Goddess

Finished:
Ghost la Mode by Sue Ann Jaffarian (cozy mystery, Granny Apples #1, really liked it)
Say No to Murder by Nancy Pickard (Jenny Cain mystery #2)
No Body by Nancy Pickard (Jenny Cain mystery #3)

Currently reading:
The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (YA fantasy; Percy Jackson #1)

Heather

Old 06-20-2012, 12:48 PM   #2138
Stazon Splitcoast

Heather - I thought I read fast - lol

I just finished The Next Always, and am working on Panhandle Blizzard.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:19 PM   #2139
Gabfest Goddess

Karen: Chalk it up to being without my home computer for two weeks, LOL. And guess what I got back this evening? *VBG* Thankfully, whatever the problem was does not appear to have been the hard drive and ALL of my files are still here and in tact. You can bet I'll be doing some major backing up this weekend.

Finished reading The Lightning Thief after dinner this evening and have already started book two in the series, The Sea of Monsters. Highly recommend to those who enjoy mythology or YA fantasy.

Heather

Old 06-30-2012, 11:27 AM   #2140
Gabfest Goddess

<b>Finished the entire "Percy Jackson and the Olympians" series by Rick Riordan:</b>

The Lightning Thief
The Sea of Monsters
The Titan's Curse
The Battle of the Labyrinth
The Last Olympian

Excellent YA fantasy series, and a great modern take on Greek mythology. Must ask sister and BIL if they have the next related series, "The Heroes of Olympus."

<b>Currently reading:</b>
Secrets to the Grave by Tami Hoag (Oak Knoll #2 -- I read book one a couple months ago, still looking for book three. I am already 55% through this one).

Being without my computer for half the month, I did a lot of reading in June--currently on book 21 for the month. I usually average 2-3 a week, not one a day. I have read 67 books towards my 2012 goal of 100. That's 18 books ahead, but I know I will lose some of that lead during July. I have to move end of the month, and still don't have a new apartment. Most of the packing is done, just a lot of last-minute stuff that will have to wait until the last week. You know, kitchen and bathroom stuff. Stress and extreme heat have me feeling tired and discouraged.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend. Friends and I are supposed to be going to watch fireworks this evening. We are lucky, as many small communities have canceled theirs due to the dry conditions. I know it's near as bad here as places out west, but we really need some rain!

Heather

Old 06-30-2012, 11:28 AM   #2141
Gabfest Goddess

WHY DOES THIS BOARD NO LONGER LET US EDIT OUR POSTS?? GRRR...

H.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:49 PM   #2142
Die Cut Diva

Heather, hope you're feeling better... and I can't imagine having to pack and move in this heat we've been having.

I just finished "Gone Girl". I downloaded a sample from Amazon, and was hooked by the first page. So I took the plunge... Loved it! Can't wait to hear from someone else who has read this...
Old 07-03-2012, 09:20 AM   #2143

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some summer reads. I like historical fiction such as Margaret George's work as well as Phillipa Gregory (sp?) I also like romances etc. as long as they are well written. I tell ya, I downloaded that 50 Shades book one and my Kindle melted.
Also love a good thriller.
If anyone could pass along some authors I would be forever grateful.
Jen
Old 07-03-2012, 10:31 AM   #2144
Kookie Creator

Have you read Pillars of the Earth or World Without End by Ken Follett? Takes place in England/France when the great cathedrals were first being built. Another book by him, Fall of Giants begins right before WWI and goes to about 1926 or so and is the story of 5 families (1 US and 4 European) whose lives intertwine through the war and after. I learned alot about that period in history. There will be two more books in the series - hard to wait for them to come out!
Old 07-03-2012, 02:18 PM   #2145

I have read those and thanks for thinking of me. Those books are right up my alley. Gone girl as mentioned above looks great too.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:04 PM   #2146
Gabfest Goddess

Linda: This heat wave is excruciating, isn't it? We just had our driest June on record, though -- oddly -- only the 10th warmest. We could see 100 here next three days. Our average this time of year is usually 80-85F. I feel for those still without power after the weekend's severe storms. I don't think I've heard of Gone Girl, but glad you enjoyed it.

Hi Jen! Suggestions, eh? I don't read much historical fiction, but have you read Marina Fiorato (The Boticelli Secret) or Katie Hickman (The Aviay gate, The Pindar Diamond)? Do you like historical romance? Romantic suspense?

I am currently reading A Rogue My Own (Reid Family #3) by Johanna Lindsey, and plan to read A Love My Own (Reid #4) after. I also have Eloisa James and Suzanne Enoch in Mount TBR.

For suspense, I just finished a couple by Tami Hoag I can recommend: Deeper Than the Dead (Oak Knoll #1) and Secrets to the Grave (Oak Knoll #2).

I also just finished Once Burned (Night Prince #1) by Jeaniene Frost. If you like vampires, I highly recommend Jeaniene Frost's series (Night Huntress, Night Huntress World and Night Prince). I also recently read all of Patricia Briggs' "Mercy Thompson" and "Alpha and Omega" series (primarily werewolves).

As many here know, I am involved in a few groups at GoodReads. Here's what different groups I am in are reading for July: Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakani (passing on this one), And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie (I'm looking forward to rereading this one!), The Fellowship of the Ring by JRR Tolkien (haven't yet decided to reread or not), Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (Love it, but don't know if I'll have time for a reread), and Rising Tides (Chesapeake #2) by Nora Roberts (not planning to reread, but did like this one).

Happy 4th of July to all the American bookworms present!

Heather

Old 07-03-2012, 07:15 PM   #2147
Gabfest Goddess

Oops, I mis-typed. Book #4 in Johanna Lindsey's Reid series is Let Love Find You. Knew I should have actually looked at the book before typing the title!

H.

Old 07-04-2012, 06:50 PM   #2148
Stazon Splitcoast

Heather,
I am sure that you will like the Johanna Lindsay books. Always a good read.

jennik
Old 07-04-2012, 10:43 PM   #2149
Die Cut Diva

Jen, "Gone Girl" was terrific - I read it in 24 hours.

Have you read the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon? There are currently 7 books in the series, with the 8th due out next year. You've asked for historical fiction and romance that are well-written - this series fits your criteria. (In case you don't know about this series, the books in order are: 1) Outlander, 2) Dragonfly in Amber, 3) Voyager, 4) Drums of Autumn, 5) The Fiery Cross, 6) A Breath of Snow and Ashes and 7) An Echo in the Bone.) These are big, thick books to get lost in; and depending on how fast you read, you might still be reading the series next summer! I have all of them in trade size, some in hardback, and now I have them on my kindle, plus all of them in unabridged audiobooks - can you tell I'm a fan?
Old 07-05-2012, 07:37 AM   #2150
Gabfest Goddess

JenniK: No doubt about that! I've yet to read a Lindsey I did not like, though I definitely love some more than others. I finished A Rogue of My Own and am currently halfway through Let Love Find You.

I have another suggestion for Jen. Do you like historical mystery romances? A friend recommended Deanna Raybourn to me and I immediately fell in like with her Lady Julia Grey series, five books out so far: Silent in the Grave, Silent in the Sanctuary, Silent on the Moor, Dark Road to Darjeeling and The Dark Enquiry. So far I have read the first two and now have books 3 and 4 on my TBR shelf. The two I've read so far had me staying up a bit late at night to finish them. BTW, you never know where brick-and-mortar bookstores are going to shelve these. I've found some in mystery, some in romance--in the same store no less--so if you don't find them in one section, try the other.

Heather

Old 07-06-2012, 07:17 PM   #2151
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Hi everyone, I'm looking for some summer reads. I like historical fiction such as Margaret George's work as well as Phillipa Gregory (sp?) I also like romances etc. as long as they are well written. I tell ya, I downloaded that 50 Shades book one and my Kindle melted.
Also love a good thriller.
If anyone could pass along some authors I would be forever grateful.
Jen
Jen,
So book recommendations for you..........
I like anything by Julie Garwood, Johanna Lindsay, and Nora Roberts for good romance. I just read James Patterson's 11th Hour over the 4th of July. It is part of series called the Womens Murder Club. I also like Donna Leon mystery books. They are all good fast reads. The Kitchen Witch series (recommend by Heather) are also good.
Hopefully that gets you started!!

jennik
Old 07-09-2012, 10:13 AM   #2152
Rubber Room Resident

Hope everyone is having a great summer so far.
I have so many books going right now. An upstairs book, a downstairs book, one in the car, an audio CD, and a smaller MP3 player for when I walk These include The Night Circus, The One and Only Ivan, Fishers of Men, Titanic: Voices from the Disaster, and My Korean Deli. All pretty good so far, although I'm not quite sure about the Deli one yet.

I just finished Moloka'i by Alan Brennert last week and loved it. The subject matter was a bit hard, dealing with the settlement on the island where they sent people with leprosy in the early 1900's. The characters are so beautiful to me and I love the Hawaiian folklore and cutoms throughout the story.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #2153
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyinseattle View Post
I just finished Moloka'i by Alan Brennert last week and loved it. The subject matter was a bit hard, dealing with the settlement on the island where they sent people with leprosy in the early 1900's. The characters are so beautiful to me and I love the Hawaiian folklore and customs throughout the story.
Joanne that one is one my list..I'm glad to hear you liked it so well. I've been reading mostly thrillers of late..just started In The Darkest Corner by Elizabeth Haynes..not sure where it's going yet but I'm liking it so far. I really liked A Simple Act of Violence by R.J. Ellory about a serial killer with a political twist..also liked Defending Jacob by Wm Landay, a DA's son is accused of murdering a classmate. I finished Cutting for Stone a while back now and it was GREAT! I also managed to sneak in John Sandford's latest Lucas Davenport book Stolen Prey...always a fast and fun read..and I love that it takes place in the Twin Cities..in the book they found a body in a dumpster half a mile from my house! On the horizon I have the latest Kate Burkholder mystery, Gone Missing by Linda Castillo...Amish parents turn to female detective in the disappearance of their teenager during Rumspringa. I also just found out there's now a third book in the Carlos Ruiz Zafron (Shadow of the Wind) series called The Prisoner of Heaven..will have to check that out,too.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:42 PM   #2154
Gabfest Goddess

Finished the newest Johanna Lindsey, Let Love Find You. Sigh...can never go wrong with a Lindsey. Over the weekend I reread Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None--which, considering how long it has been since the last time I read it, was pretty much like reading it for the first time. There was a lot I didn't remember, but still enjoyed it.

Have just finished An Uninvited Ghost by EJ Copperman, book two in the "Haunted Guesthouse" series, and will be starting book three, Old Haunts next.

JenniK: have you tried Annette Blair's Vintage Magic series? I like those as much as the "Kitchen Witch" series, and there is a new one just out (five books total).

Heather

Old 07-09-2012, 09:13 PM   #2155
Rubber Room Resident

Polly, I love the Lucas Davenport series as well, although it's been a while. I'll check out this newest one.
I listened to the audio book for Moloka'i and loved the narrator's reading of it, her character's voices added such a beautiful richness to the story. One of the best audio books I've listened to in a long time.

Joanne

www.sleepyinseattle.net
Old 07-10-2012, 01:39 AM   #2156
Full of Malarky

I've read a lot this year, but right now I am loving Daughters Who Walk This Path. It's an intriguing coming of age story of a young woman in contemporary Nigeria. Fascinating and very readable, too. Daughters Who Walk This Path: Amazon.ca: Yejide Kilanko: Books
The World Needs More Canada - Bono
Old 07-13-2012, 09:23 AM   #2157
Gabfest Goddess

Finished Old Haunts by EJ Copperman.

Curerntly reading: Am a third of the way through Marriage is Murder (Jenny Cain #4) by Nancy Pickard.

Heather

Old 07-13-2012, 07:35 PM   #2158

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennik View Post
Jen,
So book recommendations for you..........
I like anything by Julie Garwood, Johanna Lindsay, and Nora Roberts for good romance. I just read James Patterson's 11th Hour over the 4th of July. It is part of series called the Womens Murder Club. I also like Donna Leon mystery books. They are all good fast reads. The Kitchen Witch series (recommend by Heather) are also good.
Hopefully that gets you started!!

jennik
It does thanks for thinking of me.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:38 PM   #2159

Linda and Heather thank you as well. I'm going to spend the day looking into these books. I got an ipad for my birthday so I'm seeing what I can download for the summer etc. My kindle has been good to me though.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:04 PM   #2160
Gabfest Goddess

JEN: You're welcome! Hope you are having fun loading the new ipad!

Currently reading: Eden Burning, an older romance (2002) set in Hawaii by Elizabeth Lowell. I am only about a quarter of the way into this one. I'm having some trouble getting into it, mostly I think because of the hero. So far he is not a very likable person. I'm hoping it gets better.

Books read so far this year: 75/100 -- yay! Already three-quarters of the way towards this year's goal, and 21 ahead of where I should be. I think I'm going to be grateful for that bit of padding during the next several weeks, what with moving and the Olympics coming up.

Heather