Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 05:51 PM   #2041
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyStamper79 View Post
I like Debbie Macomber. The fiction she writes is fairly lighthearted which is what I'm looking for. I have enough drama in my life, I don't want to read it as well. I'm just in the middle of re-reading her book, "Back on Blossom Street". I also love her Cedar Cove series.
I like reading her books too. Did you know that she finished up the Cedar Cove Series...great stories, really enjoyed them.

I always look forward to the next book in her series...can't wait for another Blossom Street book.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 03-12-2012, 04:26 PM   #2042
Matboard Maniac

Default books

Quote:
Originally Posted by simvan View Post
I like reading her books too. Did you know that she finished up the Cedar Cove Series...great stories, really enjoyed them.

I always look forward to the next book in her series...can't wait for another Blossom Street book.
Yes, I was so disappointed when she finished Cedar Cove, they were my favourite.

I am looking forward to another Blossom St book as well...always nice to read what is happening with the different characters.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #2043
Insane Embellisher

I am reading "House of Tyneford" right now. I am really liking it. It is by Natasha Solomons.

It is about a young jewish girl from a wealthy family in Vienna, whose family sends her to England to be a parlor maid at an English estate. It is getting more and more interesting as I go.

Has anyone read any of Solomons work?
Old 03-21-2012, 10:08 AM   #2044
Insane Embellisher

I am almost done with "House of Tyneford". It is one of those books that I will be sad when I close it for the final time. It has really been a good read.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:00 PM   #2045
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainy Day Stamper View Post
I am almost done with "House of Tyneford". It is one of those books that I will be sad when I close it for the final time. It has really been a good read.

never heard of it, but am gonna add to the want list at the library. One of many reasons why I love SCS. I am always on the look out for books to read.

jennik
Old 03-21-2012, 09:48 PM   #2046
Rubber Room Resident

I picked up House at Tyneford today at the library after seeing Lois's good review about it. (Thanks, neighbor!) I love books set during WW II, both fiction and historical. I'm reading a really good one right now called 22 Brittannia Road which is about a Polish couple that had to leave Warsaw and what happened to them during and after the war. Very good so far.

Joanne

www.sleepyinseattle.net
Old 03-21-2012, 10:00 PM   #2047
Die Cut Diva

I'm reading The Great Penguin Rescue: 40,000 Penguins, a Devastating Oil Spill, and the Inspiring Story of the Worlds Largest Animal Rescue by Dyan deNapoli

The title is pretty self explanatory. non-fiction and so good.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:19 PM   #2048
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyinseattle View Post
I picked up House at Tyneford today at the library after seeing Lois's good review about it. (Thanks, neighbor!) I love books set during WW II, both fiction and historical. I'm reading a really good one right now called 22 Brittannia Road which is about a Polish couple that had to leave Warsaw and what happened to them during and after the war. Very good so far.
Yes I like books that take place during WW II also. I like similar movies too.
Now I will have to look for 22 Brittannia Road. I have not heard of it.

I hope my recommendation doesn't disappoint you. I don't think it will.

I see you are in Bellevue. Hasn't our weather been beautiful the last few days?
Old 03-31-2012, 02:58 PM   #2049
Stazon Splitcoast

Been on a stay-cation this week. Read Prey by Linda Howard. Good fast read. Also read the Hunger Games and Catching fire, Ok, I guess. Also read Left to Die by JA Jance. Again a pretty fast read. Throw in a couple of Nora Roberts (Blue Dahalia, Black Rose, and Red Lilly) and it is time to go BACK to Work.

jennik
Old 03-31-2012, 08:20 PM   #2050
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennik View Post
Been on a stay-cation this week. Read Prey by Linda Howard. Good fast read. Also read the Hunger Games and Catching fire, Ok, I guess. Also read Left to Die by JA Jance. Again a pretty fast read. Throw in a couple of Nora Roberts (Blue Dahalia, Black Rose, and Red Lilly) and it is time to go BACK to Work.

jennik
Jennik, you must be one fast reader.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:45 PM   #2051
Insane Embellisher

I finished Patricia Cornwell's Red Mist. It's another book in the series about Kay Scarpetta, medical examiner. This one was a bit better than some of the previous ones I've read - less violent, and the main characters weren't quite as unlikable.

I'm just waiting for the Hunger Games now!
Old 04-01-2012, 07:41 PM   #2052
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Jennik, you must be one fast reader.

about a book a day. when I get the chance. had to sqeeze in some stamping time, too!!

jennik
Old 04-01-2012, 08:36 PM   #2053
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
about a book a day. when I get the chance. had to sqeeze in some stamping time, too!!

jennik
Are you reading them or listening to them on a kindle or something like that?
I have a friend that listens to her books now but still only in the evening before bed. That is when I read my books too.

I do my bible study books in the morning tho because by bed time I would talk myself out of them in favor of lazy reading no homework.

A book a day! How do you find enough good books to keep you satisfied with what you are reading? I know they are out there but it takes time to find them.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:48 PM   #2054
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Are you reading them or listening to them on a kindle or something like that?
I have a friend that listens to her books now but still only in the evening before bed. That is when I read my books too.

I do my bible study books in the morning tho because by bed time I would talk myself out of them in favor of lazy reading no homework.

A book a day! How do you find enough good books to keep you satisfied with what you are reading? I know they are out there but it takes time to find them.

I have a kindle, but really like BOOKS. I have about 10 books on the kindle. Most of them are the free ones, but there are a few not. I usually check out about 7-10 books a week at the library. And my mom passes books on to me. And a book day, is usually only good on vacation. During the normal time, it takes me a day or so to complete the books.

jennik
Old 04-02-2012, 08:20 PM   #2055
Insane Embellisher

That's really amazing. I only read about a chapter or two before I go to sleep at night.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:30 PM   #2056
Gallery Gazer

I'm reading 'The Lord of Chaos' book 6 in the wheel of time series.

A book a day! WOW! I'm lucky is I get a book a month read especially the big ones I've been reading lately. Two a month when they're not so big. I'm so jealous. I wish I had more time to read.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:45 AM   #2057
Gabfest Goddess

Oy! I can't believe I have not posted here since end of January. I'm sorry if I missed replying to anyone. It's not that I haven't read any of the posts, it's just that every time I'd start to reply I'd get interrupted, and then not make it back in.

There was a time I could read a 300-500 page book in a day, but that is very rare now. I have, however, been averaging about two a week the last couple years, though my current read is taking a bit longer. Not because it isn't good, but more a matter or REAL LIFE intruding on my time. I've included links for all authors/titles, should anyone want to find out more about a particular book.

READ IN FEBRUARY:
Sleeping With Anemone by Kate Collins (cozy mystery, book 9 of series)
Tombs of Endearment by Casey Daniels (cozy mystery, book 3 of series)
The Complete Stories by Dorothy L. Sayers (classic, anthology of short mystery stories)
The Duke Comes Home by Barbara Cartland (romance)
Sea of Suspicion by Toni Anderson (rom suspense)
The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner by Stephenie Meyer (YA vampire--would have liked this better in third person instead of first POV)
Solid as Steele by Rebecca York (para-rom suspense)
I Love Bad Boys by Lori Foster, Janelle Denison and Donna Kauffman (hot romance)
Lawful Engagement by Linda O. Johnston (rom suspense, book 3 of series)
No Rest for the Wiccan by Madelyn Alt (cozy mystery, book 4 of series)
Where There's a Witch by Madelyn Alt (cozy mystery, book 5 of series)
A Witch in Time by Madelyn Alt (cozy mystery, book 6 of series)
A Killer Plot by Ellery Adams (cozy mystery, book 1 of series)

READ IN MARCH
A Deadly Cliché by Ellery Adams (cozy mystery, book 2 of series)
Dirty Rotten Tendrils by Kate Collins (cozy mystery, book 10 of series)
Agnes Grey by Anne Brontë (classic -- loved this one!)
A Long Fatal Love Chase by Louisa May Alcott (classic -- this is NOT the LMA little girls grow up on, this was a thriller with a stalker)
Remains of the Dead by Wendy Roberts (para-cozy mystery, book 1 of series)
Devil May Ride by Wendy Roberts (para-cozy mystery, book 2 of series)
Dead and Kicking by Wendy Roberts (para-cozy mystery, book 3 of series)
Stitch Me Deadly by Amanda Lee (cosy mystery, book 2 of series)

CURRENTLY READING:
Twin Killing by Marshall Cook (cozy mystery, book 3 of series)

So far that's 30 books towards my goal of 100 for this year. One thing I've noticed is how heavy I've been on the mysteries. That is in part due to catching up on some favorite authors/series, but I do think I need to try and mix it up a bit more this month.

Heather

Old 04-06-2012, 02:10 PM   #2058
Die Cut Diva

Default Mrs Kennedy and Me

I love Jackie Kennedy and after seeing her Secret Service Agent Clint Hill on the Today Show i had to get the book Mrs Kennedy and Me. I started reading it this afternoon and I have taken a liking to Clint. I will post more after I finish the book

Bonnie
Old 04-08-2012, 06:43 AM   #2059
Gabfest Goddess

Finally finished Twin Killing by Marshall Cook yesterday morning. This was the third book in his Monona Quinn series, and not the best addition to the series, either. It tended to lag, and seemed to take forever to get to the mystery.

I also started The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly, and was hoping to get a large chunk -- at least half -- of it read yesterday, but had an intense migraine come on in the afternoon, so there went that plan. I did get about 100 pages in, so I guess that's something. Am feeling marginally better this morning, so will see if I make it to the midpoint today (it's 504 pages long).

This is the first book by Connelly I have read, and am liking it so far. And, though I have not yet seen the movie that was out last year, just knowing that Matthew McConaughey stars as the lead character has me hearing his voice as I read the narrative (the book is in first person). That is not necessarily a bad thing. ; )

Old 04-08-2012, 05:35 PM   #2060
Insane Embellisher

The Lincoln Lawyer was the first Michael Connelly book I read and I have become addicted....right now I'm 2/3 finished with Catch Me by Lisa Gardner...good so far!
Old 04-09-2012, 07:36 PM   #2061
Gabfest Goddess

SouthernStamper: I am now halfway through The Lincoln Lawyer and enjoying the ride. I may have to see if my sister has the next three books in this series.

Lisa Gardner is another author I need to catch up on. I read the first four or five books of hers, and have several others languishing in Mount TBR. Sigh... Why can't I get paid for reading all day?

Heather

Old 04-09-2012, 08:11 PM   #2062
Matboard Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to soaksupthesun

I'm reading The Swarm, it was the daily deal on my Kindle, purely for entertainment about Aliens.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:28 PM   #2063
Polyshrink Goddess

I am so late on the bandwagon, but I just finished the 3 Hunger Games books in 3 days! It was a fun, easy read and a good storyline. Like them a lot, but I always get a bit engrossed in my books, especially when reading them in a straight shot. I was a bit suprised to catch the news tonight and see nothing about revolution in the districts of Panem. Of course news on North Korea and Syria rang some bells!

Has anyone one read "A Discovery of Witches" by Deborah Harkness? It's on several recommended ready lists. I coach high school speech and am always looking for both dramatic and funny pieces for competition for my students. .

As my best friend says, "Stamping....it's cheaper than therapy" to which I add, "Not by much".

My mom was the proud recipient of my first handmade card. Cost $200.

~My Gallery~
Old 04-11-2012, 10:40 AM   #2064
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by raquelita_uno View Post
I am so late on the bandwagon, but I just finished the 3 Hunger Games books in 3 days! It was a fun, easy read and a good storyline. ...I was a bit suprised to catch the news tonight and see nothing about revolution in the districts of Panem. Of course news on North Korea and Syria rang some bells!

Rachel: It probably won't surprise you that the author, Suzanne Collins, got the idea for this series while flipping through TV channels. On one channel was a reality show that featured young people competing against each other; on another was footage of the Iraq War. Just like that an idea was born!

Quote:
Has anyone one read "A Discovery of Witches" by Deborah Harkness? It's on several recommended ready lists. I coach high school speech and am always looking for both dramatic and funny pieces for competition for my students. .
Have not yet read this one myself, but have seen it featured or talked about a lot, both at GoodReads and on various book blogs. It sounds good!

I finished reading THE LINCOLN LAWYER by Michael Connelly this morning. I was actually up late last night reading it, but at 1am I made myself put it down, and finished it before work this morning. Great suspense! Now I need to get my hands on both the DVD and next book in the series.

Will be starting Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford tonight, and am eagerly looking forward to it. HCBS is an April group read for The Next Best Book club at GoodReads.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:00 PM   #2065
Matboard Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to soaksupthesun

Quote:
Originally Posted by raquelita_uno View Post
I am so late on the bandwagon, but I just finished the 3 Hunger Games books in 3 days! It was a fun, easy read and a good storyline. Like them a lot, but I always get a bit engrossed in my books, especially when reading them in a straight shot. I was a bit suprised to catch the news tonight and see nothing about revolution in the districts of Panem. Of course news on North Korea and Syria rang some bells!

I read all three books also in a week. Loved them! Did you see the movie?
Old 04-12-2012, 08:41 PM   #2066
Insane Embellisher

Going to go to bed and start a new book. I have three to pick from. I will have to stew over them first to figure out which one goes first.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:41 PM   #2067
Crimping Master

Hi Everyone...

I was at a Scrapfest yesterday and there were some ladies chatting about great books to read. One mentioned something about Castles...??????? Said you have to read it...I'm stuck, can't figure out the exact title so I thought I would come here. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Lynn
Old 04-16-2012, 12:31 PM   #2068
Inking Addict

Maybe the books based on the TV show Castle? They are supposed to be written by the character Richard Castle. I just read all the them. They all have Heat in the title- Heat Rises, Naked Heat, etc. Good, quick reads.
I also LOVE Darynda Jones. Her books remind me of Stephanie Plum novels (absolute fav but finished all of hers). She writes "First Grave on the Right", "Second Grave on the Left", "Third Grave ..." etc.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:22 PM   #2069
Rubber Obsessor

I'm finishing up Homefront. All I can say is "WOW". I've shed a few tears over this one. It's been a long time since I've read something so good.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:01 PM   #2070
Swapper of the Month - July 2013

Just read The Hunger Games trio and just finished "Speak" I'm a teacher-librarian so I have to read quite a bit of teen lit.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:23 AM   #2071
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Hi Everyone...

I was at a Scrapfest yesterday and there were some ladies chatting about great books to read. One mentioned something about Castles...??????? Said you have to read it...I'm stuck, can't figure out the exact title so I thought I would come here. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Lynn
Hi Lynn!

I guess the first question I would ask is if you remember the genre. Romance? Mystery? Literary fiction? Historical? Though the "Heat" series by Richard Castle was a good guess for mystery, the title that immediately came to my mind (which I have not read) is I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith.

Another thought: Could the series mentioned to you be A Game of Thrones, basis for the HBO series?

(Click on the titles to read more about them.)

I am about 40 pages from the end of Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford, and am actually featuring for this week's Teaser Tuesday meme. Looking forward to finishing it tonight!

Heather

Last edited by WordTrix; 04-17-2012 at 09:26 AM..
Old 04-19-2012, 07:04 AM   #2072
Stazon Splitcoast

Sooo....... how did you like Hotel? I liked it. One of the better books I read that year, after the Help.

jennik

[/QUOTE]
I am about 40 pages from the end of Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford, and am actually featuring for this week's Teaser Tuesday meme. Looking forward to finishing it tonight!

Heather[/QUOTE]
Old 04-19-2012, 07:07 AM   #2073
Stazon Splitcoast

Finished the Fixer Upper, by Mary Kay Andrews. Liked it. It was a fast easy read. Started on the biography of RinTinTin. Is is still a biography if it's about a dog? The TV stuff was before my time, but since I like dog stories, I thought I would give this one a try. so far, so good.

jennik
Old 04-19-2012, 07:37 AM   #2074
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Sooo....... how did you like Hotel? I liked it. One of the better books I read that year, after the Help.

jennik

Heather[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Heather I wanted you to know that I read "Hotel" at your recommendation and loved it. I don't read nearly the amount of books you do but always enjoy the books you recommend.
Old 04-19-2012, 07:37 AM   #2075
Crimping Master

Quote:
Hi Everyone...

Thanks,
Lynn
Found it...it's called Glass Castles...sounds like it would be a good read.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:58 AM   #2076
Gabfest Goddess

JenniK: I loved HOTEL ON THE CORNER OF BITTER AND SWEET. I finished it last Tuesday night and admit to being a bit sniffly near the end (esp during the last scene with Sheldon). Glad you liked it as well. And yes, I'd say it still counts as a biography if a book si about a famous dog, lol.

PatriciaE: Aw, shucks. Glad you liked it, as well as other recommendations I've made. *grin*

Lynn: Glad you found the book you were looking for, and hope you enjoy it once you find it!

So, as already mentioned, I finished "Hotel" earlier in the week, then switched gears and picked up a rom-suspense by Julie Miller, Nanny 911, which I finished last night.

Started Night of the Loving Dead by Casey Daniels this morning, the fourth book in her Pepper Martin para-mystery series. I have books 6-8 waiting on the TBR shelf, just need to find book five.

Heather

Old 04-22-2012, 04:40 PM   #2077
Gabfest Goddess

Finished Night of the Loving Dead last night -- been quite a while since I read an entire book in a day. Really need to find book five now! Started reading another cozy mystery, Deeply, Desperately (Lucy Valentine #2) by Heather Webber. Was out at the Arboretum most the afternoon, so did not get very far in this one yet.

Heather

Old 04-22-2012, 05:49 PM   #2078
Die Cut Diva

Has anyone read any of the Thursday Next novels by Jasper Fforde? I started "Thursday, Next: First Among Sequels" last night, but it's the 5th one in the series. I haven't read the 1st four, and am wondering if I need to do so before continuing with this one. I never read a series out of order; I downloaded this one from the library because it was the only one available.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:09 PM   #2079
Crimping Master

okay getting ready to start a new book...what is your opinion on the FIFTY SHADES OF GRAY???
Old 04-24-2012, 12:16 PM   #2080
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via AIM to Lazorkay

I just read all of the 3 Gray books. The story line is great, HOWEVER,
it has explic ( sp) ? sex, some S & M...

It will make you blush or wiggle in your seat!!!

I was a tad embarassed reading them, but was so sad when they ended LOL

I am now reading Firefly Lane and love it. I got a Kindle Fire for Christmas, but DH will still buy me hardcovers.