Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-18-2012, 09:23 PM   #2001
Compulsive Stamper

All I can say is I was correct in saying I couldn't put the Hunger Games down. I read that and moving on to book 2 in the series.

hmmm.....The Gril with the Dragon Tattoo series sounds interesting.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-19-2012, 06:20 AM   #2002
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue in CT View Post
All I can say is I was correct in saying I couldn't put the Hunger Games down. I read that and moving on to book 2 in the series.

hmmm.....The Gril with the Dragon Tattoo series sounds interesting.

What is the Hunger Games about?
Old 01-19-2012, 07:09 AM   #2003
Compulsive Stamper

Default The Hunger Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen71 View Post
What is the Hunger Games about?
I hope this works. I am not what you would call computer smart but I will give it a go.

The Hunger Games

Scroll down when you get there and you will see the Overview.

I really don't want to add much to what they have so any one who wants to read it don't have it spoiled for them. What I can tell you is that it was very good. I don't often read a book and feel my eyes tear up (some movies ok but not books) but they did when I read this book and got to the part when a certain person died during the games. This book just draws you in.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:03 AM   #2004
Crimping Master

Re: The Hunger Games: I've never enjoyed science fiction much and just am not drawn to the plot. However, enabling those who want to read it: I saw the hardbound copy on the Costco book table today for $10.99 (I believe). Knowing Costco, it won't be there in a few weeks.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:18 PM   #2005
Stazon Splitcoast

May I recommend "Queen Bee of Mimosa Beach", by Haywood Smith? It was a LOL book!! Gettin' in touch with my southern.

jennik
Old 01-20-2012, 06:28 AM   #2006
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
I hope this works. I am not what you would call computer smart but I will give it a go.

The Hunger Games

I really don't want to add much to what they have so any one who wants to read it don't have it spoiled for them. What I can tell you is that it was very good. I don't often read a book and feel my eyes tear up (some movies ok but not books) but they did when I read this book and got to the part when a certain person died during the games. This book just draws you in.
Thanks for the link!
Old 01-21-2012, 01:40 PM   #2007
Stampin' Fool

Snuff by Terry Pratchett, I love all of TP's work

Old 01-23-2012, 10:00 PM   #2008
Gabfest Goddess

Hey everyone!

I know I've been a bit absent/quiet since the New Year. Blame it on this site. My computer hates it. Or maybe it's the other way round. In any case, this site always loads slow for me, even when I have a highspeed connection. I actually started writing a post a couple weeks ago, and then wouldn't you know the site froze on me. Ugh! Good thing I've learned to compose long posts in Word, where I can autosave every few minutes and not lose an entire post.

Anyway, I meant to get in here the next day, and then the day after that, and then—you get the picture, I'm sure. Time somehow got away from me. So...please forgive multiple long messages as I attempt to catch up a bit. :-\

Heather

Old 01-23-2012, 10:08 PM   #2009
Gabfest Goddess

Lois: I hope you enjoy The Hunger Games. It's one of my favorite trilogies! Would love to see the movie in March, but may not get to, as no one I know seems interested.

Sue: I’m glad you have started reading again, and hope you are enjoying CATCHING FIRE. As I said above to Lois, this trilogy is one of my favorite series! As for vampires and werewolves…I never used to be much into them, either—until I got hooked on a couple of good (well, to me anyway, LOL) series. I have not heard of Nicky Charles, but can definitely offer suggestions on other vampire/were books.

Oh—I do not know much about Wicca, either, but have heard that the Scott Cunningham book is a pretty good one. It is rated four out of five stars at GoodReads.com. The other book by Silver Elder is also rated four out of five stars.

JenniK: I imagine there are rather long waiting lists at the libraries for this series, with the movie out in two months.

GypsyRoseStamper: Re: THE HUNGER GAMES. The book is actually considered young adult dystopian*, not science fiction, and I’ll be honest—when I first started seeing this book mentioned on various blogs and message boards, I wasn’t really sure I would like it. I mean, for one it is YA, and I haven’t read much in that genre since I was a young adult. Second, there is the premise. Yes, it is a bit creepy and scary, but it was also what started to intrigue me. And the more I heard/read about it, the more intrigued I became. When it was chosen as a group read at GoodReads.com, I waffled over whether or not to read it, and decided to go for it when Doubleday Book Club offered a really good 2-for-1 package deal on the first two books.

Let me tell you, I was so glad I bought both books at once, because I devoured them back-to-back, then started screaming in frustration when I realized I had to wait almost a year for book three. The one lesson I learned from this experience was not to turn down a book solely because it wasn’t in one of my preferred genres. Sometimes, as in life, you have to take a chance on a book you may not like.

* Dystopian, from the noun "Dystopia": a society characterized by human misery, as squalor, oppression, disease, and overcrowding; an imaginary place where everything is as bad as it can be. The opposite of "Utopia."

More to come...

Old 01-23-2012, 10:20 PM   #2010
Gabfest Goddess

JenniK: Have not heard of Haywood Smith, but laugh-out-loud books can be good for the soul. Unless, of course, you’re on a crowded bus, and everyone turns to stare. Then again, if you laugh loudly and often enough, and it causes people not to want to sit next to you, that could be a good thing, right? *g*

Okay, wow... Just looked up H. Smith at GoodReads—talk about a prolific author! And in multiple genres as well! Some of the books/titles look familiar, but know I have not read her before.

Rainy Day Stamper: Have not read CUTTING FOR STONE, but it seems to have gotten rave reviews. I don't read a lot in this genre. I tend to prefer fiction, though the occasional nonfic does creep onto my shelves. There are actually a couple I hope to get to this year.

dmaggt: I love Scottoline, but have not read her last couple books, mostly because I was waiting for them to be rereleased in mass market paperback. Glad to hear that SAVE ME is a good one, especially as a couple books before that were not as good as earlier ones. I’m crossing my fingers in hopes of winning this one in a GoodReads giveaway.

stebwood79: Am not familiar with Jim Butcher, but have heard some rave reviews about his DRESDEN series. Glad to see another HUNGER GAMES fan in the mix!

MickiFuhrman: I read a lot of Lois Lowry’s books back in middle/high school, but honestly don’t recall this one. It sounds like something I would have liked, though, which is probably why I picked it up not too long ago at one of the library's used book sales. Highly recommend Lois Duncan and Joan Lowery Nixon to fans of Lois Lowry.

SleepyinSeattle: Have been intrigued by EXTREMELY LOUD AND INCREDIBLY CLOSE since I started seeing the movie trailers in December. The movie looks really good, and I have heard the book is as well (though someone warned it was somewhat depressing, too). Would love to see the movie (and hello—two of my favorite actors!), but the friend I tend to see most movies with has already vetoed it as being a tear-jerker. Sigh… Another I’ll probably have to wait and watch by myself on DVD.

Yes, still more to come—but almost finished, honest!

Old 01-23-2012, 10:55 PM   #2011
Gabfest Goddess

JenniK: Bummer on not getting any books for Christmas, but congrats on the Kindle, and on reading 148 books last year. Way to go! Do you think you will read more this year with an ereader?

I gave books to my niece for both Christmas and her birthday (only days apart), and the look of joy on her face, each time she saw a new book that was all her own? Priceless! As for me...I received three from a friend — Isle of Dogs and All That Remains by Patricia Cornwell, and Sense of Evil by Kay Hooper — and two from my sister — Holly Lane (book 4 of series) by Toni Blake and Tombs of Endearment (book 3 of series) by Casey Daniels. I have not read Cornwell before and, as they are book number three in two different series, and as I hate reading series out of order, it gave me reason to visit the library’s used book sale earlier this month. Total score! I found three of the four books needed, for only 50 cents each. Will have to keep looking for the one still missing. Not like I don't have plenty of other books in the meantime. *snicker*

I did manage to finish Santa Cruise before the year ended, so total read for 2011 was 105 books—one more than the previous year—plus 386 pages of a 796 page anthology (223 pages were read in 2010). One of my reading goals for 2012 will be to finish the remaining short stories in that collection, THE COMPLETE STORIES by Dorothy L. Sayers. Only 186 pages to go... *whimper*

I have signed up for the 2012 Goodreads Reading Challenge, with a goal of 100 books again this year. I have a few goals within the overall goal, too.

1: As previously mentioned, complete that huge Sayers anthology.
2: Catch up on books that have been loaned to me by my sister (13) and a friend (7). These numbers have a habit of growing faster than I can read them, LOL.
3: Catch up on books won or received as gifts.
4: catch up on books/series taking up space in the TBR pile by favorite authors. I have fallen way behind in a couple of series I really liked. (I am almost caught up with one of these authors, as least so far as books I actually have are concerned.)
5: Read 8-10 classics. I managed 14 in 2011, but half of that was "The Chronicles of Narnia." Hopefully some of the GR group reads will help here.
6: Try to finish the "Read the USA" mystery challenge. I have already amassed several books into one pile towards the twenty remaining states. Now to start reading!

Books read so far this year:
ACTS OF VIOLETS by Kate Collins (Cozy mystery, book 5 of series)
A ROSE FROM THE DEAD by Kate Collins (Cozy mystery, book 6 of series)
SHOOTS TO KILL by Kate Collins (Cozy mystery, book 7 of series—I have two more by her on my shelf, and there are three I don't yet have.)
A TALE OF TWO CITIES by Charles Dickens (classic; one down, seven to go—this was for a group read at GoodReads, liked it.)

Currently reading:
FLIPPED OUT by Jennie Bentley (cozy mystery, book 5 of series—catches me up on this author)

According to the meter on GoodReads, I am currently two books behind (thanks to Dickens—I liked TALE, but it took me an entire week to get through it), so have some catching up to do. Methinks I need a fast, easy reads before attempting another long or diffcult book.

And now, I promise, I have done. For now. Hopefully I don't let another month go by before posting again. Night!

Heather

Last edited by WordTrix; 01-23-2012 at 11:00 PM..
Old 01-24-2012, 07:52 PM   #2012
Stazon Splitcoast

Heather
The Queen Bee of Mimosa Branch sure fits the bill of "easy" read.

Just finished Zero Day and am onto the Dead Angler, as recommend here. don't know if I will be able to get more books read on the kindle. Just looking forward to a vacation to lay by the pool and READ READ READ!!

jennik
Old 01-29-2012, 06:08 PM   #2013
Gabfest Goddess

Finished:
Flipped Out by Jennie Bentley -- Book five of her DIY mystery series. Love these books!

Chasing Fire by Nora Roberts -- Rom suspense. Yes, after saying I was going to read it for how many months, I finally got round to it. Though I guessed whodunnit from the start, I still enjoyed the ride to the finish.

I also read three short stories (45 pages) in the Dorothy L. Sayers anthology I've been working through the last couple years. Only nine stories to go!

Currently reading:
Dashing Through the Snow by Mary Higgins Clark and Carol Higgins Clark -- Mystery

Heather

Old 01-30-2012, 07:34 PM   #2014
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordTrix View Post
Finished:

Chasing Fire by Nora Roberts -- Rom suspense. Yes, after saying I was going to read it for how many months, I finally got round to it. Though I guessed whodunnit from the start, I still enjoyed the ride to the finish.

Heather

I liked this one, too!! Of course I love to read pretty anything she writes, except for the futuristic stuff. Don't care much for that. She has a new one out, Happily Ever After. Pretty good.

jennik
Old 01-31-2012, 07:04 AM   #2015
Gabfest Goddess

JenniK: I don't know about <i>Happily Ever After</i>, but I do have The Next Always in the TBR pile.

Finished: Dashing Through the Snow. Pretty good mystery, very fast read. I polished it off in 24 hours.

Currently reading: Evil in Carnations by Kate Collins, book 8 of her "Flower Shop" mystery series. Will probably read Sleeping With Anemone (book 9) next, and then I'm caught up on her books for the time being. At least until I acquire the last three. *g*

Heather

Old 01-31-2012, 06:32 PM   #2016
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordTrix View Post
JenniK: I don't know about <i>Happily Ever After</i>, but I do have The Next Always in the TBR pile.

Finished: Dashing Through the Snow. Pretty good mystery, very fast read. I polished it off in 24 hours.

Currently reading: Evil in Carnations by Kate Collins, book 8 of her "Flower Shop" mystery series. Will probably read Sleeping With Anemone (book 9) next, and then I'm caught up on her books for the time being. At least until I acquire the last three. *g*

Heather
You are right. I am a dork and called that Nora book by the wrong name. Went and dug though the stack by the bed. sheesshhhh At least I didn't make up a whole new name. As I am prone to do with stamp sets.
Hope you enjoy it, no matter what I call it!!
jennik
Old 02-01-2012, 02:48 PM   #2017
Rubber Room Resident

Heather,
i just got back from seeing Extremely Loud and Incredibly close and it was very well done. You will need a good supply of tissues though. I thought they did a really fabulous job with it. So glad since I loved the book.

Joanne

www.sleepyinseattle.net
Old 02-01-2012, 03:55 PM   #2018
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

The Hunger Games

I had to chuckle a little when I read about your not tearing up so much when you read. I have to share something -- when I was reading the Lord of the Rings trilogy and got to almost the end of Return of the King, I cried through the last three chapters -- it was so touching in places! There were times when I couldn't even see the words. I thought to myself -- if you're crying now, you'll be a mess when you see the movie. and I was!!!
Old 02-03-2012, 10:58 AM   #2019
Rubber Obsessor

I'm reading "Cat in a Vegas Gold Vendetta" by Carole Nelson Douglas and "Tipping Point" by Malcolm Gladwell. The first is one of the Midnight Louie books, a mystery/romance series. Malcolm Gladwell's books are more thought-provoking.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:26 PM   #2020
Kookie Creator

I was at Costco today and they happened to have all three books in The Hunger Games trilogy. I realize every Costco is different, but you might want to look
Old 02-03-2012, 05:30 PM   #2021
Rubber Obsessor

Default Just started

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - Not sure yet what I think, it's the strangest layout of a book I've ever read. May this one will make more sense if you see the movie instead.

I was reading Peter Straub's Dark Matter - Not sure I'll go back to finish it, that one is all over the place and starts in the middle of the story.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:34 PM   #2022
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin'widow View Post
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - Not sure yet what I think, it's the strangest layout of a book I've ever read. May this one will make more sense if you see the movie instead.

I was reading Peter Straub's Dark Matter - Not sure I'll go back to finish it, that one is all over the place and starts in the middle of the story.

My personal opionion, there are WAY to many GOOD books out there to spend time on a bad or just so-so book. AGAIN, JMHO!!!

jennik
Old 02-04-2012, 03:36 AM   #2023
Compulsive Stamper

I finished the Hunger Games trilogy which I totally loved and can't wait for the movie. The ending took me for a loop. It is not how I thought it would end.

After that I read and finished Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close and I didn't care for it at all. I do not like that style of writing. I found it hard to follow and totally annoying. I kept reading thinking it was going to get better but of course it never did. I think it is one of those books either your going to love or going to hate.
All I can think of once I was done was .....what the?

I am now reading "Bonded" which is the forth book by Nicky Charles. (The Finding, The Mating and The Keeping were the first three although I don't remember the order). I am only on page 400 of Bonded but it seems to have a lot more "romance" (if you want to call it that) in this one. As with her other three, I find this one excellent and hard to put down.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #2024
Hardware Hotshot

"The Time Travelers Wife" was very good.....but it does jump around because of the time travel theme, LOL............stick with it, its worth it!

i tried "Eat Pray Love", but just couldnt stick to it, so, i will watch the DVD instead!

Old 02-05-2012, 03:48 PM   #2025
Rubber Room Resident

Sue and Huntin' Widow, I do know what you are saying about Extremely Loud. I really loved the part where Oskar is on his search about the key and connecting to his dad. I hated the really long parts about the grandparents and found myself just skimming through most of that. I think they could have conveyed their devastating losses from Dresden and made the connection to the present day tragedy without going on that long and very strange story about them.

Joanne

www.sleepyinseattle.net
Old 02-06-2012, 05:51 AM   #2026
Insane Embellisher

I just picked up The Scottish Prisoner by Diana Gabaldon. It's one of the side stories to the Outlander series. So far, the character James Fraser is in much of the book, which I love. It also has a preview of the next book in the Outlander series.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:17 PM   #2027
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen71 View Post
I just picked up The Scottish Prisoner by Diana Gabaldon. It's one of the side stories to the Outlander series. So far, the character James Fraser is in much of the book, which I love. It also has a preview of the next book in the Outlander series.
I was unaware of The Scottish Prisoner. I'll have to check it out. I'm hoping that the next book in the Outlander series is better than the last one. It was my least favorite. It was almost like she was forcing the story.

I just finished the Hunger Games trilogy -- now waiting for the movie! I started The Surgeon, which is the first book in the Rizzoli and Isles series by Tess Gerritsen.

Last edited by Clownmom; 02-06-2012 at 04:21 PM..
Old 02-06-2012, 06:59 PM   #2028
Crimping Master

11/22/63 by Stephen King, my first book of his ever,normally not a fan, but loving it so far! My girlfriend said don't read it too fast, you'll regret it!!
Old 02-07-2012, 02:24 PM   #2029
Insane Embellisher

I am still........reading Cutting for Stone. I have this thing that I can't lay a book down no matter how much I don't like it. I have found myself finding other things to read and going back to it every now and than.

Can't wait to be done with it and move on to another book. I guess I will just have to pick it up and read it.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:06 AM   #2030
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainy Day Stamper View Post
I am still........reading Cutting for Stone. I have this thing that I can't lay a book down no matter how much I don't like it. I have found myself finding other things to read and going back to it every now and than.

Can't wait to be done with it and move on to another book. I guess I will just have to pick it up and read it.
I have one of those books. It's been sitting on my table for a year! Scarpetta by Patricia Cornwell. One of these days I will finally get it finished! Of course, I always have to go back a few pages to refresh my memory on what's going on.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:49 PM   #2031
Insane Embellisher

I have never read any of Patricia Cornwell but I have heard people say they like her books.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:23 PM   #2032
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
I have never read any of Patricia Cornwell but I have heard people say they like her books.

Some of them are pretty gruesome, but the majority of them are pretty good.
Old 02-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #2033
Insane Embellisher

How about Elizabeth George books? I was in Costco a couple of weeks ago and a lady was so excited that she had a new one out.

Has anyone read her work?
Old 02-12-2012, 05:11 PM   #2034
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
How about Elizabeth George books? I was in Costco a couple of weeks ago and a lady was so excited that she had a new one out.

Has anyone read her work?

Don't think I have read any of her books. Do you remember the title?
Ok I googled her. Doesn't look like she has anything new since 2006. the little blurbs about her books, look interesting though. I think I will put her some of her books on the hold list at the library.

jennik
Old 02-12-2012, 09:27 PM   #2035
Insane Embellisher

She has a brand new one out. Believing the Lie. I saw it at Costco. Looks like hardback still for those of us who still buy books.
Old 02-26-2012, 06:50 PM   #2036
Rubber Room Resident

Sarah's Key by Tatiana De Rosnay- 5 out of 5 stars, I couldn't put it down.

Joanne

www.sleepyinseattle.net
Old 02-28-2012, 10:05 AM   #2037
Insane Embellisher

Hey, I forgot to post that I finally finished Cutting for Stone. It got better at the end. I thought about what didn't appeal to me in this book and I just think I didn't care about any of the characters. You need someone to root for and I didn't feel connected with any of them except maybe the one they killed off in the first chapter.

On to better reading.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:58 PM   #2038
Embossing Fanatic

Heart what are you reading

currently reading the book of ACTS in the new Testement of the Bible through BSF and have a DVD on the way called "They mystery of the prayer shawl. "
Old 03-08-2012, 05:04 AM   #2039
Die Cut Diva

Default Kindle

I found a new series - or...new to me Its a wine series by Ellen Crosby. I am starting out with The Merlot Murders. I will give more of a review after I get into the book.

I also love Elizabeth Adler books. Her descriptive writing really makes you feel like you are there where the story takes place. The food always sounds awesome.

Anyone else have Kindle suggestions?

Bonnie
Old 03-10-2012, 01:18 PM   #2040
Matboard Maniac

I like Debbie Macomber. The fiction she writes is fairly lighthearted which is what I'm looking for. I have enough drama in my life, I don't want to read it as well. I'm just in the middle of re-reading her book, "Back on Blossom Street". I also love her Cedar Cove series.