Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-15-2011, 12:43 PM   #1881
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharilea View Post
I am LOVING the Outlander Series by Diana Gabaldon. I'm on book #5 right now. I am so in love with Jamie. They don't make them like that anymore!

Another favorite author of mine is Wilbur Smith. I have always had in interest in Africa and he tells wonderful tales with abit of history mixed in.
The Outlander series is one of my all-time favorites. Makes me glad I wasn't alive in the colonial days!
Old 08-18-2011, 11:17 AM   #1882
Gabfest Goddess

Playing catch-up...

Michelle: I hope you are enjoying the Sookie Stackhouse series. A friend is currently reading the most recent book, and I canít wait to get my hands on it!

Linda: Glad to hear you found your back to reading. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is one of my favorite books.

Patricia E: So glad you enjoyed Summer in the South!

Jeanne: I have also heard there will only be a couple more books in the Sookie series. MaryJanice Davidson is also nearing the end of her Undead vampire series with Queen Betsy, too. Have you read those? The series begins with Undead and Unwed.

Stampinchampin: My sister recently brought me The Lincoln Lawyer, but have not yet gotten to it. I am slowly trying to work my way through the stack of books on loan from both her and a friend. So far the friendís stack is dwindling much faster than the sisterís, LOL.

Wright1: Glad you are finding some great reads based on suggestions posted here!

Shari: I loved the first three Outlander books, but have fallen behind on them. Really need to try and catch upówith that series and so many others, LOL.

Still working on the anthology of short stories, Deathís Excellent Vacation. Am about halfway through. and have enjoyed some stories much more than others.

I did finish Dracula by Bram Stoker last week, and am glad I took the time to read it before immersing myself in Dracula in Love by Karen Essex. DIL is told from Dracula heroine Mina Murray Harker's point of view, and it's nice being able to compare Mina's version of events with those of the original novel.

Heather
(Click on any of the links for info about books/series)

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-21-2011, 02:00 PM   #1883
Die Cut Diva

I finished "Smokin Seventeen" and it was good. I'm glad they are fast reads though because she is dragging out the Morrelli or Ranger thing and she needs to make a decision soon. Still made me laugh!!!
I am about halfway through "The Soldier's Wife." Excellent book about a woman during WW2 living on an island off Normandy with her two daughters and elderly mother in law. This island sounds beautiful...I would love to go there. The story gets pretty intense and its very hard to put it down. It is written by Margaret Leroy.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:43 PM   #1884
Insane Embellisher

Linda, thank you for sharing your problem reading after a loss. I had this happen to me when my dad died and it took me a long time to be able to enjoy reading again. Sometimes I could only read a few paragraphs at a time.

I recently discovered Lee Child mysteries (Jack Reacher series), and I love them! I just finished "Worth Dying For" and am now reading "61 Hours". His books are like a slightly milder version of watching "24".

I also enjoy David Baldacci and Michael Connelly.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:29 PM   #1885
Polyshrink Goddess

Send a message via Yahoo to jeanne307

I am reading:
The Christmas Quilt- Jennifer Chiaverini

On my list for the next week or two-
Circle of Quilters
Quilters Homecoming
New Years Quilt
Winding Ways Quilt
Quilters Kitchen- all by Jennifer Chiaverini

Could not get into Angelology by Danielle Trussoni, just wasn't what I thought it would be and had to put it down after about 100 pages because it didn't catch my interest.

have read the following:
The Runaway Quilt by Jennifer Chiaverini
The Quilters Legacy by Jennifer Chiaverini
The Master Quilter By Jennifer Chiaverini
The Sugar Camp Quilt by Jennifer Chiaverini
Promise Me by Richard Paul Evans
The Gift by James Patterson

My Personal Blog: Creations by Jeanne
Facebook: Friend Me....
Old 08-29-2011, 05:38 PM   #1886
Watercolor Wizard

I am reading The Help right now. I saw the movie a week ago and thought it was FANTASTIC. Usually I read the book THEN see the movie, but I broke my own rule this time. I am enjoying it so far!!
Old 08-31-2011, 05:02 PM   #1887
Die Cut Diva

I'm reading Barbara Delinsky's new book "Escape." It's pretty good but I need to finish it tonight because it's due back at the library tomorrow!
Old 09-01-2011, 10:51 AM   #1888
Gabfest Goddess

Both The Help and Escape are on my TBB list.

Finished since Aug 18:
Deathís Excellent Vacation By Charlaine Harris (ed)
Protecting the Pregnant Witness By Julie Miller
Takedown by Julie Miller
Cowboy Up by Vicki Lewis Thompson
Cowboys Like Us by Vicki Lewis Thompson
The Silver Chair by CS Lewis

Have not yet decided what I want to read next. Hate when that happens! *g*

Heather

Old 09-01-2011, 03:53 PM   #1889
Polyshrink Goddess

Finished The Christmas Quilt and Circle of Quilters....

Am on to A Quilters Homecoming....

lol

Old 09-02-2011, 01:41 PM   #1890
Gabfest Goddess

Jeanne: Wow! You're really getting into Chiaverini's quilt series. Good books, I take it?

Decided to keep with my romance streak through the long holiday weekend, so am reading an older anthology right now, Midnight Fantasies by Vicki Lewis Thompson, Stephanie Bond and Kimberly Raye.

Heather

Old 09-08-2011, 06:04 PM   #1891
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordTrix View Post
Jeanne: Wow! You're really getting into Chiaverini's quilt series. Good books, I take it?

Decided to keep with my romance streak through the long holiday weekend, so am reading an older anthology right now, Midnight Fantasies by Vicki Lewis Thompson, Stephanie Bond and Kimberly Raye.

Heather
Yes ma'am I am... they are sooo good... love them all. The Runaway Quilt is my favorite so far but love them all. I love quilting and used to help my grandmother piece them so these books bring back lots of memories. Also it is a series and I am one that reads books in a series in order... lol... i am ocd that way... and also I have read all the newest books in the other 30 series that I am reading so I have to wait for new ones to come out... but I do recommend this series to everyone... they are really good... funny and tearful... I laugh then I cry and then i laugh till i cry and cry till I laugh... lol Let me know if the Vicki Thompson book your reading is any good...

Old 09-08-2011, 07:34 PM   #1892
Die Cut Diva

Has anyone here read A Game of Thrones?? It's a series of five books and HBO has a series running. I just heard about it this morning so not sure who writes them.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:13 AM   #1893
Gabfest Goddess

PatricaE: Have not read GAME OF THRONES myself, but have seen it mentioned quite a bit at GoodReads. Seems to be quite popular.

Jeanne: Finished MIDNIGHT FANTASIES by Vicki Lewis Thompson and friends. Liked the first two stories (VLT and Stephanie Bond) more than the last (Kimberly Raye), but they were all good. Followed it up with another older book by VLT that has recently been rereleased, NOTORIOUS. It was packaged as a freebie with her most recent release, COWBOYS LIKE US. Fun, sexy and sassy! I actually have an autographed copy of the original release, so am a little embarassed it took me so long to read it. Stuff has a habit of getting lost in the TBR pile, especially when you come back from a conference with about thirty new books, LOL.

Have taken a complete 180 from romance and am now reading a thriller by Ted Dekker, THE BRIDE COLLECTOR. A little creepy when the POV is from that of the serial killer, but so far it's pretty good. Just about halfway through now. Did not get much read last night as I was distracted by the football game -- and it was a really good game (and I'm not just saying that because our team won, lol). No plans for the weekend except to read, read, read.

Heather

Old 09-09-2011, 10:05 PM   #1894
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
PatricaE: Have not read GAME OF THRONES myself, but have seen it mentioned quite a bit at GoodReads. Seems to be quite popular.

Jeanne: Finished MIDNIGHT FANTASIES by Vicki Lewis Thompson and friends. Liked the first two stories (VLT and Stephanie Bond) more than the last (Kimberly Raye), but they were all good. Followed it up with another older book by VLT that has recently been rereleased, NOTORIOUS. It was packaged as a freebie with her most recent release, COWBOYS LIKE US. Fun, sexy and sassy! I actually have an autographed copy of the original release, so am a little embarassed it took me so long to read it. Stuff has a habit of getting lost in the TBR pile, especially when you come back from a conference with about thirty new books, LOL.

Have taken a complete 180 from romance and am now reading a thriller by Ted Dekker, THE BRIDE COLLECTOR. A little creepy when the POV is from that of the serial killer, but so far it's pretty good. Just about halfway through now. Did not get much read last night as I was distracted by the football game -- and it was a really good game (and I'm not just saying that because our team won, lol). No plans for the weekend except to read, read, read.

Heather
Heather... is the Bride Collector part of a series? I have one by him that is the Bone Collector or something of that nature... I have heard they are really good... will have to read them when i get done with the quilt series... TFS!!

Old 09-10-2011, 07:14 PM   #1895
Stazon Splitcoast

Been a while since I posted. Been soooo busy..... the county fair, work, work work..... ugh!! But did take several books with me to the lake for the long weekend!! One happy girl!! A couple of books at the beach, throw in some beverages and all is good!!!

jennik
Old 09-10-2011, 07:25 PM   #1896
Gabfest Goddess

Jeanne: I was up until 4am reading THE BRIDE COLLECTOR -- finally had to force myself to put it down and get a few hours of sleep. I finished it early this afternoon, and it was really good. Is the one you have THE BONEMAN'S DAUGHTERS? That is the only book by him I see listed at GoodReads with "bone" in the title. Both of these books are stand alones, not even any related characters that I can see, though he does have a few series.

Haven't read a cozy mystery in a while, so think it's time to pick up one or two of those, starting with DEATH BY DIAMONDS by Annette Blair (Vintage Magic #3) and FOOL'S PUZZLE (Benni Harper #1) by Earlene Fowler. The latter appears to be a quilting mystery.

Heather

Old 09-10-2011, 07:29 PM   #1897
Gabfest Goddess

JenniK: The three B's (books, beach and beverages) are always good.

Heather

Old 09-10-2011, 10:19 PM   #1898
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Jeanne: I was up until 4am reading THE BRIDE COLLECTOR -- finally had to force myself to put it down and get a few hours of sleep. I finished it early this afternoon, and it was really good. Is the one you have THE BONEMAN'S DAUGHTERS? That is the only book by him I see listed at GoodReads with "bone" in the title. Both of these books are stand alones, not even any related characters that I can see, though he does have a few series.

Haven't read a cozy mystery in a while, so think it's time to pick up one or two of those, starting with DEATH BY DIAMONDS by Annette Blair (Vintage Magic #3) and FOOL'S PUZZLE (Benni Harper #1) by Earlene Fowler. The latter appears to be a quilting mystery.

Heather
That would be the one I have... lol... I haven't read it yet. I hate that and the Oath by him... will get to them eventually. I am waiting on the following from the library:

The Hit List- Laurell K Hamilton
Passion- Lauren Kate
Chronicles of Nick- Invincible & infamous- Sherrilyn Kenyon
Retribution- Sherrilyn Kenyon
The Guardian- Sherrilyn Kenyon
Born of Silence- also by Sherrilyn Kenyon
Dead Reckoning- Charlaine Harris
Dark Taste of Rapture, Lord of the Vampires and Darkest Surrender- Gena Showalter

There are more on my list but hopefully will be able to get some of these soon... lol

Old 09-12-2011, 11:53 AM   #1899
Gabfest Goddess

Ah, she's seguing from quilts to paranormal romance, LOL. Don't care for LKH or Sherrilyn Kenyon myself, but have DEAD RECKONING coming on loan from a friend.

Read DEATH BY DIAMONDS yesterday (yes, in one day--what can I say, it was a good mystery!), and started another by the same author, THE KITCHEN WITCH.

Heather

Old 09-13-2011, 08:00 PM   #1900
Polyshrink Goddess

LOL Heather... I have always been into paranormal romance... a friend recommended the quilt series so this is not normally what I read. I love LKH and Sherrilyn Kenyon.. also love JR Ward, Deborah Cooke (Dragonfire series) Gena Showalter is one of my faves... Keri Arthurs Riley Jenson was a good series.... love my paranormal romance lol.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:16 PM   #1901
Die Cut Diva

Well got my copy of Game of Thrones today from the library. It's quite a commitment and I really don't read a lot of science fiction. A friend told me it was fantasy more than science fiction so I will give it a try. The size of it reminds me of my all time favorite "Outlander".
Old 09-18-2011, 06:23 PM   #1902
Gabfest Goddess

Patricia: Wow, that is a hefty tome, isn't it? I do hope you like it!

I've been reading the "Accidental Witch" trilogy by Annette Blair. Finished the first two books, The Kitchen Witch and My Favorite Witch, and am now starting The Scot, the Witch and the Wardrobe. These are sexy romances that are laugh-out-loud funny.

Heather

Old 09-19-2011, 07:43 PM   #1903
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
JenniK: The three B's (books, beach and beverages) are always good.

Heather

jennik
Old 09-28-2011, 11:46 AM   #1904
Gabfest Goddess

Finished:
The Scot, the Witch and the Wardrobe by Annette Blair (romance, book 3 of series)
Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen (classic)
Fool's Puzzle by Earlene Fowler (mystery, book 1 of series)

Currently reading:
Abby Cooper, Psychic Eye by Victoria Laurie (Psychic Eye Mystery #1)

Heather

Old 09-28-2011, 03:32 PM   #1905
Die Cut Diva

I'm still reading Game of Thrones...had a couple of things to finish first because they were due at the library. Game of Thrones has so many characters thats it has taken me a bit to get into it. I got the book on CD and that has really helped...so far very good and I would recommend it to people like me that aren't really into science fiction. A good read!!
Old 09-28-2011, 04:42 PM   #1906
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Both The Help and Escape are on my TBB list.

Finished since Aug 18:
Deathís Excellent Vacation By Charlaine Harris (ed)
Protecting the Pregnant Witness By Julie Miller
Takedown by Julie Miller
Cowboy Up by Vicki Lewis Thompson
Cowboys Like Us by Vicki Lewis Thompson
The Silver Chair by CS Lewis

Have not yet decided what I want to read next. Hate when that happens! *g*

Heather
I just finished "The Help" on my Nook. Now I want to see the movie.
Old 09-28-2011, 05:36 PM   #1907
Die Cut Diva

Widow...the book was wonderful but the movie is just as good. Sissy Spacik (spell) plays Hilly's mother and the part was made for her. She wears those cat eye glasses so popular then and I thought she stole the show. Of course lots of pro's in the movie...hope you get to see it soon.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:36 PM   #1908
Rubber Obsessor

I'm reading Please Look After Mom by Kyung-sook Shin.

It's the first library book I am reading on my kindle. I need to actually read more and spend less time online.
Old 09-30-2011, 01:38 PM   #1909
Gabfest Goddess

Finished ABBY COOPER, PSYCHIC EYE by Victoria Laurie (mystery, book one of a series) and loved it. Some real laugh-out-loud scenes in it. Have now started a book from another of Laurie's series, WHAT'S A GHOUL TO DO? and am not yet sure what I think of this one.

Jeanne: Are you on GoodReads? I just saw a new book by Chiaverini listed in the giveaway section and of course I thought of you. It's The Wedding Quilt: An Elm Creek Quilts Novel (book 1. This is for an advance copy of the book out Nov 1, giveaway open until Oct 13. You can enter the contest direct from the link I just posted if interested.

Heather

Old 10-01-2011, 07:19 AM   #1910
Rubber Obsessor

Default Just finished

I just finished James Patterson series of Alex Cross books. Good at the first and then it seemed repeatitive at the end ones.

I started Firefly by P T Deutermann last night, never read anything of his, but I LOVE Vince Flynn stuff so I'm hoping it's a "page turner" as it says it is. I'm tired of reading the "boring" stuff.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:07 AM   #1911
Stazon Splitcoast

This week I have read: Happy Birthday,Tall Tale Horse, Killing the Blues, Already Home, and The Dashwood Sisters. Haven't a Danielle Steel book in forever, so Happy Birthday was a nice surprise. And RitaMae Brown is always a good read for me, horses, dogs and who dunn it in a Tall Tale Horse.

Fall is coming, enjoy your day!!

jennik
Old 10-02-2011, 11:18 AM   #1912
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin'widow View Post
I just finished James Patterson series of Alex Cross books. Good at the first and then it seemed repeatitive at the end ones.

I started Firefly by P T Deutermann last night, never read anything of his, but I LOVE Vince Flynn stuff so I'm hoping it's a "page turner" as it says it is. I'm tired of reading the "boring" stuff.
I have thought this very same thing. Kinda quit reading them for that very reason.

HAd to giggle over your screen name. Duck and goose opens here in 2 weeks. DH just got back from a week in Canada for geese, so I feel your pain.

jennik
Old 10-02-2011, 12:18 PM   #1913
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Finished ABBY COOPER, PSYCHIC EYE by Victoria Laurie (mystery, book one of a series) and loved it. Some real laugh-out-loud scenes in it. Have now started a book from another of Laurie's series, WHAT'S A GHOUL TO DO? and am not yet sure what I think of this one.

Jeanne: Are you on GoodReads? I just saw a new book by Chiaverini listed in the giveaway section and of course I thought of you. It's The Wedding Quilt: An Elm Creek Quilts Novel (book 1. This is for an advance copy of the book out Nov 1, giveaway open until Oct 13. You can enter the contest direct from the link I just posted if interested.

Heather
Hi Heather... I have joined GoodReads... nice site... I did enter the drawing for this book. Thanks for letting me know.

Finished:
Retribution by Sherrilyn Kenyon
and the following by Jennifer Chiaverini:
The Quilters Homecoming
New Years Quilt
Winding Ways Quilt
Quilters Kitchen
The Lost Quilter(one of my fave in the series)
The Quilters Holiday

Due to read next week:
Aloha Quilt- Jennifer Chiaverini
Union Quilters- Jennifer Chiaverini- I will be done with this series till the new book comes out in november.

10th Anniversary- James Patterson

So far this is it... I have another book that is supposed to be in transit from the library so hopefully it will come in late next week so I can finish the other two in the Elm Creek Quilt series... we shall see lol.

Old 10-02-2011, 04:24 PM   #1914
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriciae View Post
I'm still reading Game of Thrones...had a couple of things to finish first because they were due at the library. Game of Thrones has so many characters thats it has taken me a bit to get into it. I got the book on CD and that has really helped...so far very good and I would recommend it to people like me that aren't really into science fiction. A good read!!
I agree! And as you said, there are lots of characters. I read the entire series this summer, each book around 1,000 pages. Needless to say, not much else got done. I think the author could have streamlined the story a lot and not lost anything in the telling. I hope it doesn't take another 5 or 6 years for the next one to come out - I will have forgotten it all!
Old 10-04-2011, 06:30 AM   #1915
Stazon Splitcoast

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

The circus is coming to town...and I will be wearing black & white with just a touch of red.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:14 PM   #1916
Mad Swapper

Not sure where I saw it recommended, but just finished "Before I Go to Sleep" by S. J. Watson. Everyone always talks about page turners, but this surely was for me. It is fantastic. I had so much I wanted to do with the weather being nice for a stretch, but once I began, I couldn't stop. Highly recommend. It is an amnesia thriller you won't soon forget and the author's debut novel.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:42 PM   #1917
Rubber Obsessor

I am in the middle of "The Forgotten Garden" by Kate Morton. Excellent book
Old 10-11-2011, 08:46 PM   #1918
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb smith View Post
I read this book, too!! Recommended by someone here!!
Am also reading "The Eighty Dollar Champion" by Elizabeth Letts. A true story about a show jumping champion horse. Very good!! Horse people will love it!!

jennik
Old 10-11-2011, 09:09 PM   #1919
Polyshrink Goddess

Am reading Invincible- The Chronicles of Nick by Sherrilyn Kenyon... Its a teen series about Nick Gautier who is a character in her Dark Hunter Series... It tells Nicks story from the age of 14 and is very very good.

Next to read is 10th Anniversary by James Patterson.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:57 AM   #1920
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb smith View Post

I also enjoyed The Forgotten Garden. It reminded me of all those Daphne DuMaurier, Nora Lofts, and Mary Stewart novels I was a fan of decades ago. There have been a couple of novels by Morton since then, but I haven't read or heard much about them.