Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-20-2011, 09:47 AM   #1801
Inking Addict

Mary Stewart's Moonspinners was one of my favorites when I was a kid.

I just discovered author Kathleen Eagle and can't stop reading her books. I was in my town library and didn't know what I wanted to read so I walked into the large print aisle and just grabbed a book off the shelf. It was Ride a Painted Pony by Kathleen Eagle. If you like love stories you have to read her books.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 05-21-2011, 05:29 AM   #1802
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen71 View Post
I randomly discovered this book on the shelf at the library - The Genesis Code by John Case. It's an older book, but fantastic. The story has a lot of Catholic references in it, and sort of reminds me of The Da Vinci Code. I think anyone who enjoyed Da Vinci Code would like this too. I finally just got too depressed with all of the Kay Scarpetta books and the unlikable characters. Had to take a break before I go back to them!

I must admit that I gave up on Patricia Cornwell a while ago. Scarpetta is sitting on my shelf half read -- I'm not even sure I'll ever finish it. Thanks for the lead on The Genesis Code. I loved the DaVinci Code, so I may check it out. Of course, it will have to go on my long list of "to be reads."
Old 05-21-2011, 05:36 AM   #1803
Glitter Guru

Location: Crazyville USA, but I wouldnt have it any other way !!

Forgot to post when I finished 13 Little Blue Envelopes by Maureen Johnson......it was very good, and I just found out theres a sequel......

For those that dont know this one was about a young woman whose beloved Aunt died and left 13 blue envelopes with money and instructions that sent her on a trip around the world...... it was a fun read!!
Looking forward to getting the sequel on my NOOK
As for me & my house, we will serve the Lord Joshua 24:15
Project Life Scrapbook Swap
Round 4 4x6 Block Scrapbook Swap
Old 05-22-2011, 11:00 AM   #1804
Polyshrink Goddess

Send a message via Yahoo to jeanne307

I am reading What the Night Knows by Dean Koontz... its ok so far....

My Personal Blog: Creations by Jeanne
Facebook: Friend Me....
Old 05-23-2011, 11:14 AM   #1805
Mad Swapper

Finished 13 Little Blue envelope series make you want to travel to place you never thought of going. Just finished reading To Have and To Hold by Jane Green.

http://papercutsnink.blogspot.com
Old 05-23-2011, 05:57 PM   #1806
Gabfest Goddess

Have I really not posted in two weeks? Wow! Well...

Kathy: It's been a while since I read anything by Kathleen Eagle, but I've always liked her books. Ruth Wind (aka Barbara Samuels aka Barbara O'Neal) is also really good.

Suzi and Libby: Glad to hear you both enjoyed LITTLE BLUE ENVELOPES. I admit, the premise intrigues me.

Jen: Am adding THE GENESIS CODE to my list of books to check out. Sounds intriguing!

Jean: How is/was THE FORGOTTEN GARDEN?

Read YOU BELONG TO ME by Karen Rose in two (very late) nights. I could not stop turning the pages and had to force myself to put it down so I could get some sleep. Highly recommend it to anyone who likes romantic suspense.

Since then I have also read AT GRAVE'S END (paranormal romance) by Jeaniene Frost, which is book three of a series, and LONGSHOT (mystery) by Dick Francis -- both really good. Now I am reading another by Francis that I picked up at Half Price Books yesterday for only a buck, SHATTERED.

Heather

Old 05-23-2011, 06:28 PM   #1807
Rubber Room Resident

Hi everyone!
I am reading Hotel On The Corner Of Bitter And Sweet. I love that it takes place in the Seattle area and I know most of the places that are mentioned. I really like it so far.

Joanne

www.sleepyinseattle.net
Old 05-24-2011, 03:58 PM   #1808
Proud Fan Club Member

I just finished Land of the Painted Caves -- all 757 pages of it. It was a little slow getting started but got better as it went along. I've decided to read HP and the Deathly Hallows (AGAIN) before the next movie comes out in July.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:36 PM   #1809
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordTrix View Post
Have I really not posted in two weeks? Wow! Well...

Read YOU BELONG TO ME by Karen Rose in two (very late) nights. I could not stop turning the pages and had to force myself to put it down so I could get some sleep. Highly recommend it to anyone who likes romantic suspense.

Since then I have also read AT GRAVE'S END (paranormal romance) by Jeaniene Frost, which is book three of a series, and LONGSHOT (mystery) by Dick Francis -- both really good. Now I am reading another by Francis that I picked up at Half Price Books yesterday for only a buck, SHATTERED.

Heather
Love Dick Francis. And the stuff he wrote with his son. Was sorry to hear about his passing. Working my way through The Book Thief. Slow to start, hopefully things will pick up. Adding the Karen Rose to the list at the library.

jennik
Old 05-24-2011, 05:37 PM   #1810
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyinseattle View Post
Hi everyone!
I am reading Hotel On The Corner Of Bitter And Sweet. I love that it takes place in the Seattle area and I know most of the places that are mentioned. I really like it so far.
Liked this one, too. I wondered if the places where still around.

jennik
Old 05-26-2011, 07:23 AM   #1811
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm behind!

Chasing Fire by Nora Roberts - Great read with steamy romance - right up my alley!

Just finished Edgar Sawtelle - AWFUL!!! I want my time back. If a coworker didn't want to talk about it, I would have thrown it away! 600 pages of garbage.

Working on Jodi Picoult Sing you Home right now.

Did anyone read Shanghai Girls? Fabulous book and the sequel is coming out soon. Impatiently waiting for Amazon to deliver it. I got another book by that author (Lisa Yee?) that is waiting on my pile.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:28 PM   #1812
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyStamper View Post
I'm behind!

Chasing Fire by Nora Roberts - Great read with steamy romance - right up my alley!

Just finished Edgar Sawtelle - AWFUL!!! I want my time back. If a coworker didn't want to talk about it, I would have thrown it away! 600 pages of garbage.

Working on Jodi Picoult Sing you Home right now.

Did anyone read Shanghai Girls? Fabulous book and the sequel is coming out soon. Impatiently waiting for Amazon to deliver it. I got another book by that author (Lisa Yee?) that is waiting on my pile.
I agree about Edgar Sawtelle!! UGH!!!!
Am onthe waiting list for the Nora Roberts and Jodi Picoult books.
Haven't read Shanghai Girls, but have read Snowflower and the Secret Fan. Will be awaiting your thoughts on Shanghai Girls sequel.

jennik
Old 05-27-2011, 11:06 AM   #1813
Gabfest Goddess

Lois: I have Land of Painted Caves on my to-read-someday list. At 700+ pages, I'm not in any real hurry to get to it, lol. I also plan on reading the last three HP books before the last movie comes out. Those will likely be weekend books, since they're so huge.

JenniK: I hope you like The Book Thief. I had a hard time putting it down once I got into it, and was a little weepy near the end, even knowing (thanks to the narrator) what was coming.

I finished SHATTERED by Dick Francis Wednesday night. Another great read! I will have to pick up a couple more of his when I see some on clearance at the UBS or library book sale. Started another cozy mystery yesterday, PRETTY POISON by Joyce and Jim Lavene, and am already halfway through it. A fried just loaned me CHASING FIRE, so will probably read that one over the weekend.

Hope everyone has a great holiday weekend!

Heather

Old 05-27-2011, 11:19 AM   #1814
Rubber Room Resident

I just finished 1776 by David McCullough. Very good if you love American History.

If anyone is on Goodreads, let me know! I would love to add you as a friend and keep up with our reading lists and reviews there as well.

Joanne

www.sleepyinseattle.net
Old 05-28-2011, 08:01 PM   #1815
Gabfest Goddess

Joanne: I am on Goodreads. My profile is HERE

Well, I was going to start CHASING FIRE today, but I picked up SWEET AND DEADLY by Charlaine Harris at Half Price Books today and started reading it on the bus back home, so Nora will have to wait. SWEET AND DEADLY is a cozy mystery, the first book Charlaine Harris published--before Sookie made her famous and her books became harder to find at the UBS.

Heather

Old 06-03-2011, 08:23 AM   #1816
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karrie30 View Post
okay i know this is cheating BUT...for thoes of us (me too) who are having a hard time getting started on THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO...I suggest going to the library and getting it on audio. It takes about 16 hours to get through...but I had a really hard time starting the book (several times) and I gave up...I am now on chapter 3 of the audio and its still a little hard to follow but I really like this option for this book! I have never done it for any other book before and so far so good!! I actually get a lot more done around my house too cause I clean and listen at the same time!!!
good idea. My sister raved about this book....and I have tried 3 times to start.........
Old 06-07-2011, 12:35 PM   #1817
Rubber Room Resident

I have just finished Janet Evanovich Sizzling Sixteen, it made me homesick for Jersey.
Also finished today Still Missing by Chevy Stevens which was fantastic.
Am halfway through The Story of Beautiful Girl and am really loving it.
So many books and so little time. They all came at once from the library and my Stampin' Up preorder arrived yesterday too. I really don't know where to start first!

Joanne

www.sleepyinseattle.net
Old 06-08-2011, 10:39 AM   #1818
Gabfest Goddess

Finished: TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD by Harper Lee (reread for a GoodReads groups, enjoyed it just as much as the first time I read it) and IN THE WOODS by Tana French. I had mixed feelings about IN THE WOODS. It's not what you would call a fast read. It starts out slow, but by page 100 I was drawn in, wanting to know what happens, but was extremely dissatisfied with the ending--which seems to be a typical reaction.

Currently reading: SHOULD'VE BEEN A COWBOY by Vicki Lewis Thompson, a steamy romance. Hope to get to CHASING FIRE over the coming weekend.

Heather

Old 06-09-2011, 09:46 PM   #1819
Cardstock Collector

Location: Vulcan Business Centre Vulcan Road, Leicester, Leicestershire, LE5 3EB, UK

Books from J K Rowling specially the Harry Potter Series.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:19 AM   #1820
Gabfest Goddess

Wow, has it been quiet in here!

Finished since last posting: SHOULD'VE BEEN A COWBOY by Vicki Lewis Thompson (very good), THE VOYAGE OF THE DAWN TREADER by CS Lewis (a reread, though I did not recall anything past the first chapter), and AGATHA RAISIN AND THE QUICHE OF DEATH by MC Beaton (this month's featured cozy author at GoodReads; an okay read).

Currently reading: Read 80 percent of HARRY POTTER AND THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX by JK Rowling over the weekend -- only 164 pages to go (this book really could have been edited down a couple hundred pages). It's interesting seeing how the book has been condensed for the movie. The screenwriters for this series have done an awesome job. Two more books to finish before the last movie comes out in July...

Heather

Old 06-20-2011, 02:09 PM   #1821
Watercolor Wizard

The new Evanovich comes out TOMORROW! I am so excited. Might just download it on my Nook or Kindle and save myself the trip to the bookstore.... depends on the cost.

Right now I am reading Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher. It's a book really popular with the teens right now and my daughter read it. I wanted to see what it's all about!
Old 06-20-2011, 02:48 PM   #1822
Kookie Creator

After watching a few episodes of the HBO series Game of Thrones, I decided to read the book by George R.R. Martin. Loved it and am now on book 2, A Clash of Kings. It's really long but I'm almost 1/2 through it now. Problem when I read is nothing else gets done 'cause I don't want to put it down! There are two more in the series and a fifth comes out next month, so I guess I know what I will be doing for the next few weeks!
Old 06-20-2011, 03:56 PM   #1823
Polyshrink Goddess

I am reading Karen Marie Moning's Fever series... It has turned out to be a very good series. There are 5 books total in the series starting with DarkFever, then there is BloodFever, FaeFever, DreamFever, and Shadowfever. They are actually really good.

I have to disagree about the Harry Potter movies tho... I think the first 2 were done very well but then when they hit Prisoner of Azkaban they just left out too much pertinent information, same with Goblet of Fire, Order of the Phoenix and Half Blood Prince. I am wondering if they were able to make Deathly Hallows 1 and 2 better than the others... I loved the books but really dont care for the movies.

Old 06-23-2011, 06:54 AM   #1824
Crimping Master

SILVER GIRL....Elin Hilderbrand...just came out 6/21/11...great start to my summer reading!!!
Old 06-23-2011, 02:52 PM   #1825
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownmom View Post
I just finished Land of the Painted Caves -- all 757 pages of it. It was a little slow getting started but got better as it went along. I've decided to read HP and the Deathly Hallows (AGAIN) before the next movie comes out in July.
I just got this today from the library!
Old 06-23-2011, 03:02 PM   #1826
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm almost done with Buried Prey the latest by John Sanford...always a reliable read...My next book is "in transit" at the library, Linda Castillo's new one, Breaking Silence..it's got the character Kate Burkholder from her other books Sworn to Silence and Pray for Silence. The main character is former Amish, now chief of police, for her old home town. She deals with both the Amish community and the nearby small town residents. They're great books, easy reading....mystery with a bit of romance thrown in.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:46 PM   #1827
Proud Fan Club Member

I've been attending the three-night showings of the extended versions of The Lord of the Rings triology (one more to go -- next Tuesday night). So as soon as I finish The Hollow Hills by Mary Stewart, which I am almost finished, I've decided to reread Tolkien -- starting with The Silmarillian all the way through to Return of the King. This should take me all summer.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:29 AM   #1828
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstieber View Post
I'm currently reading The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly.

did you see the movie? I read the book and saw the movie and it was just like I pictured it in my head
Old 07-05-2011, 11:03 AM   #1829
Stazon Splitcoast

Just finished reading THE LAST CHILD by John Hart. I really liked this book. Could not put it down. It's very disturbing as it deals with child abduction and murder, but also deals with family dynamics. The protagonist is a troubled, but truly unique and amazing 13 y.o. boy. Hart's prose is very descriptive and his writing style captivating. I highly recommend it.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:58 PM   #1830
Polyshrink Goddess

On my book list right now...
Reading- Born of Shadows by Sherrilyn Kenyon
Round Robin- Jennifer Chianverini(spelling?)
My Sisters Keeper- Jodi Piccoult ( never read any of her books but wanted to see this movie)
The Shunning and book 2 of the series....
Read- Deaths Excellent Vacation

Thats what I have to read for the next week...

Old 07-08-2011, 10:58 AM   #1831
Gabfest Goddess

Jeanne: Death's Excellent Vacation is on my TBR list.

Read since June 20 (lasy posting:
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling
The Long Quiche Goodbye by Avery Aames
Agatha Raisin and the Vicious Vet by MC Beaton

Currently reading:
To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf, for a group read at GoodReads.

Heather

Old 07-08-2011, 12:16 PM   #1832
Polyshrink Goddess

Word Trix... Its a good book of short stories... i wanted to read the Sookie Stackhouse book in it... but it was only like 26 pages long but it was a good book... lots of different stories...

Old 07-08-2011, 03:49 PM   #1833
Insane Embellisher

I'm currently reading "Found, a Daughter's Journey". Very interesting book so far, and revealing. Not a real fan of hers, but finding the story a very touching journey.....
Old 07-08-2011, 03:56 PM   #1834
Rubber Room Resident

Mermaid by Carolyn Turgeon, just started last night.

Joanne

www.sleepyinseattle.net
Old 07-10-2011, 03:32 PM   #1835
Insane Embellisher

I just finished The Land of Painted Caves by Jean M. Auel. I was seriously disappointed in it. It seemed like a re-hash of things that had already happened in the previous Earth's Children books. Not worth the wait, in my opinion.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:24 PM   #1836
Stazon Splitcoast

Woohooo FINALLY got the new Nora Roberts book from the library. Yea!! As soon as I finish Madam Tussaud (yes, the wax museum), I will start Nora. And have been working way through Harry Potter so as to get ready for the last movie.

jennik
Old 07-13-2011, 07:44 PM   #1837
Polyshrink Goddess

I finished Round Robin by Jennifer Chiaverini...
I am now reading My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult.

On my list are :
The Shunning and The Confession by Beverly Lewis
The Quilters Apprentice, The Cross Country Quilters, and The Union Quilters by Jennifer Chiaverini
Seduce The Darkness by Sherrilynn Kenyon.

On my waiting list are:
Passion by Lauren Kate
Invincible by Sherrilynn Kenyon
The Gift by James Patterson
10th Anniversary by James Patterson

Old 07-14-2011, 09:14 AM   #1838
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanne307 View Post
Word Trix... Its a good book of short stories... I wanted to read the Sookie Stackhouse book in it... but it was only like 26 pages long but it was a good book... lots of different stories...
Yup, aware it's a collection of shorts. It was bought primarily because of the Charlaine Harris story, but another author included in the anthology that has a friend and I hooked is Jeaniene Frost. In fact, I'm reading DESTINED FOR AN EARLY GRAVE, book four of her Night Huntress series, right now. Book five and two Night Huntress World books are at top of the TBR list, and there will be a sixth Night Huntress out in August.

So glad I finally finished TO THE LIGHTHOUSE by Virginia Woolf. It was a tougher read primarily for the long, winding sentences and paragraphs that spanned a couple of pages. I frequently had to go back and reread what I'd read, but it was good. Also read THE TALES OF BEEDLE THE BARD by JK Rowling, which was a short, interesting read based off the Harry Potter series with proceeds going to charity.

Heather

Old 07-14-2011, 08:33 PM   #1839
Polyshrink Goddess

I have the first two books in the Night Huntress series but haven't started them yet since I loaned them to my niece to read and she hasnt returned them yet... They are on my list too

Old 07-16-2011, 09:37 AM   #1840
Polyshrink Goddess

I have just a couple more chapters in My Sisters Keeper.... then i am going to read The Shunning and The Confession....