Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-28-2011, 03:02 PM   #1641
Proud Fan Club Member

Freedom by Jonathan Franzen
Devoted Fan Club Member since 2005
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-28-2011, 08:11 PM   #1642
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyStamper View Post
I might have to keep a list of the books I read. A few friends started and I always talk about it, but never actually make it happen!

I'm reading something random from the free Kindle downloads at the moment. Then I have "Angela's Ashes, Little Bee, and The Art of Racining in the Rain" stacked on my nightstand. My husband asked why I have a Kindle if I have books..he doesn't get it!

I need to find some fun books for my upcoming vacation. Reading by the beach requires no thought in my world.

I keep a list. Have for a long time. It's fun to go back and see how many and what I have read. In my opinion any beach reading should include at least one romance novel. Anything by Nora Roberts. There is a new Jayne Anne Krentz book out, easy reader. And now for the real question, where are going?? Inquiring minds want to know!!

jennik
Old 01-29-2011, 03:36 PM   #1643
Gabfest Goddess

* Dancing into the room*

I found it! I found it!

And it wasn't in the walkin closet.

Nope. It was in a box of books in the spare bedroom labeled "classics."

Sigh.

So, one of the February group reads at GoodReads is Wuthering Heights, a book I have tried to get through twice before. For the past week I have been waffling over whether to give it another try or not, and tonight I decided to pull it out just in case. When I opened the box, there were a bunch of hardcover and tradesize paperbacks lying on top, and as I started pulling them out, what did I find? Water for Elephants! Apparently, there was enough room left over in the box that I just started filling it with larger books I didn't have room for elsewhere, as well as a bunch of mysteries (ie: my entire Lisa Scottoline collection).

Oh, and what I did NOT find? Wuthering Heights. Seriously. I have her sister's book, Jane Eyre, which I have read a couple times and loved, but no WH. Which means I either sold it back to the college bookstore--which I can't beleive I would do--or (more likely) loaned it out and never got it back. Sigh... Ah, well. I do have it on my Nintendo DS "100 Classic Books" if I decide to try it again.

At least I found the book for which I have been searching a few months now. That's something anyway, LOL. Am slotting it on the March reading list, as February is looking rather busy.

Heather

Old 01-29-2011, 07:09 PM   #1644
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordTrix View Post
* Dancing into the room*

I found it! I found it!

And it wasn't in the walkin closet.

Nope. It was in a box of books in the spare bedroom labeled "classics."

Sigh.

So, one of the February group reads at GoodReads is Wuthering Heights, a book I have tried to get through twice before. For the past week I have been waffling over whether to give it another try or not, and tonight I decided to pull it out just in case. When I opened the box, there were a bunch of hardcover and tradesize paperbacks lying on top, and as I started pulling them out, what did I find? Water for Elephants! Apparently, there was enough room left over in the box that I just started filling it with larger books I didn't have room for elsewhere, as well as a bunch of mysteries (ie: my entire Lisa Scottoline collection).

Oh, and what I did NOT find? Wuthering Heights. Seriously. I have her sister's book, Jane Eyre, which I have read a couple times and loved, but no WH. Which means I either sold it back to the college bookstore--which I can't beleive I would do--or (more likely) loaned it out and never got it back. Sigh... Ah, well. I do have it on my Nintendo DS "100 Classic Books" if I decide to try it again.

At least I found the book for which I have been searching a few months now. That's something anyway, LOL. Am slotting it on the March reading list, as February is looking rather busy.

Heather
Yea!! But I had to giggle over the closet part!! I have tried to read WH twice also, never could finish it, or Jane for that matter. What does that say?? I'll stick with Scottolini instead.

jennik
Old 01-31-2011, 04:38 PM   #1645
Gabfest Goddess

First: goals of finishing Happy Ever After and Tanglewood Tales over the weekend accomplished, for a total of ten books read in January. Yay! I am a tenth of the way to my 2011 reading goal. Only ninety more to go. *gulp* I also read a 20-page short story by Dorothy L Sayers, "The Unsolved Puzzle of the Man With no Face." Weird.

Did not spend the entire weekend reading, though. I did spend some time stitching while watching the US Figure Skating Championships, and I walked three miles Saturday morning. My hips are still demanding to know why?!. My only defense is, it was a rare, mild winter day (34F--heat wave!), I wanted to breath fresh air that didn't make my lungs hurt and stretch my legs, and I was going stir crazy cooped up indoors. It was a nice day for a walk, so long as you were (like me) sensibly dressed in layers. I really need to use the walking DVD more often, at least until April. And now it is cold again and snowing like crazy, with blizzard watched and warnings into Wednesday.

And yes, those of you from the South--you know you hale from the North when 34F in January is considered "warm" and anything under 25F is "cold again."

Second: I did like Jane Eyre (what can I say, I like Gothic romance, lol). The first time I read it was on my own, some time in HS. I was babysitting one night and baby was sleeping contentedly. I had finished the book I'd bought along and there weren't any good movies on TV, so I picked something off their bookshelf, and was told to keep it. I loved it, and liked it just as much when I had to read it in Vic Lit in college.

WH, though...sigh. It continues to be my nemesis, LOL. Could not get into it in HS or college (I fake it so well where literature is concerned, I still got an A on the assigned paper). It is 2392 pages on the Nintendo DS "100 Classic Books" version--34 chapters plus a preface. Of course, one thing about reading a book on the DS is that it only allows you to read one book at a time. Which might actually aid in spurring me on. Maybe.

Oh, and one book I forgot to snag off my sister's bookshelf when I was down at Christmas? The last Scottoline. I knew there was another one I wanted to borrow from her--not that I didn't bring enough home with me, or have a towering TBR pile already. Would have been musch worse were their shelves actually organized. But then, there is no such thing as too many books...right?

Now starting: Baltimore Blues by Laura Lippman. Lippman was recommended to me by a number of people, based on other authors I like (Lisa Gardner, Iris Johansen, Karen Rose, Jordan Dane...), and crosses "Maryland" off my states list.

Heather

Old 01-31-2011, 05:55 PM   #1646
Stazon Splitcoast

Wink

The Sharper the Knife, The Less You Cry.....

a story about a woman who after being let go by her employer, goes to the Cordon Bleu in Paris.....it had always been her dream.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:39 PM   #1647
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennik View Post
I keep a list. Have for a long time. It's fun to go back and see how many and what I have read. In my opinion any beach reading should include at least one romance novel. Anything by Nora Roberts. There is a new Jayne Anne Krentz book out, easy reader. And now for the real question, where are going?? Inquiring minds want to know!!

jennik
I love Nora Roberts. I'll have to check out that book.

I'm heading to Kauai for two weeks!
Old 02-01-2011, 08:58 PM   #1648
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyStamper View Post
I love Nora Roberts. I'll have to check out that book.

I'm heading to Kauai for two weeks!

oohhhhhhh luck dog!! WE just got a Westin ad for Kauai. Trying to talk DH into this. He says no easy beach access, which is a must for us. And very little night life, which I don't really care about that. What do you know about this??

oh yea, book related...... just finished the Search, Nora Roberts, and Cresent Dawn, CLive Clusser, and am starting Port Mortuary, Patricia Cornwell.

jennik
Old 02-02-2011, 07:47 PM   #1649
Rubber Room Resident

Kindle question.
For any of you that have a Kindle, do you get a flash of text in Chinese or Japanese when you turn it on? I see it sometimes when turning a page also. Just curious if this is the norm.
Thanks!

Joanne

www.sleepyinseattle.net
Old 02-03-2011, 07:30 AM   #1650
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyinseattle View Post
Kindle question.
For any of you that have a Kindle, do you get a flash of text in Chinese or Japanese when you turn it on? I see it sometimes when turning a page also. Just curious if this is the norm.
Thanks!
I get a flash when I turn it on or turn a page, but I haven't noticed it being Chinese. I'll have to look next time! I downloaded a software update last night. I've had a few problems with it freezing up and spontaneously rebooting for no apprarent reason. I'm hoping the update will address some of those issues. We'll see. It seems to happen most when I'm at my daughter's house, so it may be something specific to her house. My SIL has everything wireless and on remotes, so it may be interference from that. He's a tech genious and tells me "No" that can't be it, but it seems to happen there every time.

As far as reading, I just started Wierd Sisters by Eleanor Brown. I read eight books in January. I downloaded Wuthering Heights and will attempt it after I finish this one. I haven't read it since high school, but I remember struggling to get through it. I'm anxious to see how I feel about it as an "old woman."
I'm a Senior Angel. Click here to find out about this wonderful program. RIP, Leota!
Old 02-03-2011, 07:55 AM   #1651
Rubber Room Resident

Thanks, Sandy! My husband doesn't see it at all so I was hoping that I wasn't hallucinating or losing it. They are characters of some sort though, just super quick so it's hard to pinpoint.

It's funny that you mentioned Wuthering Heights, I am feeling the same way about giving the older classics a second go. I just downloaded Pride and Prejudice.

Joanne

www.sleepyinseattle.net
Old 02-03-2011, 09:19 AM   #1652
Gabfest Goddess

Sandy: Glad I'm not the only one who had difficulty with WH!

Joanne: I love Pride and Prejudice. Actually, the only book I haven't liked by Austen is Emma. I love the different movie versions of P&P, too, and this Saturday evening PBS is going to start reshowing the mini-series, Lost in Austen, based on P&P. I first saw it this time last year and loved it. It's about a contemporary Brit woman who suddenly finds herself in the world of her favorite book, P&P...and suddenly anything that can go wrong, does.

Heather

Last edited by WordTrix; 02-03-2011 at 09:25 AM..
Old 02-03-2011, 01:31 PM   #1653
Rubber Room Resident

Thanks Heather for the heads up on Austen, I'll set my dvr to record the series.

Joanne

www.sleepyinseattle.net
Old 02-03-2011, 01:56 PM   #1654
Kookie Creator

Just finished Fall of Giants by Ken Follett. He wrote Pillars of the Earth and World Without End - both of which I loved. In his new one, five families from 5 countries intertwine starting in 1913 or so through WWI, the Russian revolution and women's sufferage, ending with a one paragraph metion of Hitler. I really enjoyed the book and can't wait for the other two to come out - it's a trilogy. This historical fiction book really educated me a lot about what was going on in the world at that time. We all hear about WWII but hardly anything about WWI so I really enjoyed that.

Oh, and if you liked Pillars and World, his website says he is writing a sequel to World which he will start in 2014 after he finishes this trilogy (if he's on scheduled .
Old 02-03-2011, 02:55 PM   #1655
Rubber Obsessor

On the 2nd Steig Larsson book. What a shame there won't be more after the third one.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:25 AM   #1656
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Kindle question.
Thanks!
Joanne, I have the Kindle Wireless Reading Device, Wi-Fi, Graphite, 6" Display with New E Ink Pearl Technology. I experimented with it, turned it off and on, turned pages, went from home to book, back again, etc. I get the e-ink flash each time, but it is always a solid black flash. When it is on the screensaver images, I will get a flash of that image before it actually settles on it. I think the Chinese text would be more fun!
I'm a Senior Angel. Click here to find out about this wonderful program. RIP, Leota!
Old 02-04-2011, 01:26 AM   #1657
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin'widow View Post
On the 2nd Steig Larsson book. What a shame there won't be more after the third one.
I agree...
Old 02-04-2011, 01:27 AM   #1658
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen3000 View Post
Just finished Fall of Giants by Ken Follett. He wrote Pillars of the Earth and World Without End - both of which I loved. In his new one, five families from 5 countries intertwine starting in 1913 or so through WWI, the Russian revolution and women's sufferage, ending with a one paragraph metion of Hitler. I really enjoyed the book and can't wait for the other two to come out - it's a trilogy. This historical fiction book really educated me a lot about what was going on in the world at that time. We all hear about WWII but hardly anything about WWI so I really enjoyed that.

Oh, and if you liked Pillars and World, his website says he is writing a sequel to World which he will start in 2014 after he finishes this trilogy (if he's on scheduled .
I LOVE historical fiction. I'm going to put this on my "wish list." Thanks for the recommendation.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:41 AM   #1659
Rubber Obsessor

Just finished The Labyrinth by Kate Mosse. very good, historical grail mystery.
Could not finish "the girl who kicked the hornets nest" was having trouble with the, em, "rough" parts
Thanks for "heads up' on ken Follett. Have not read any of his books so am placing a hold on Fall of the Giants-looks very good.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:46 PM   #1660
Hardware Hotshot

Holy Cow! This thread started in 2007!! Sorry if it's been mentioned before. I just noticed it!
Old 02-07-2011, 03:21 PM   #1661
Die Cut Diva

I talked to Amazon today about my Kindle issues. They have engineers researching the issues still, but it looks like it's the cover. I have the "unlit" cover, and they think the metal hooks may be causing the problem. Their solution was to give me a credit for twice the price of my cover, to be used for the "lighted cover" - which is not having the issues. That cover has gold hooks. I took my Kindle out of the cover yesterday morning and it has had no issues, since. I am thrilled that I don't have to return the Kindle. I can live without the cover for a few days!
Old 02-07-2011, 03:41 PM   #1662
Glitter Guru

Location: Crazyville USA, but I wouldnt have it any other way !!

I am in a series by Joanne Fluke......its a murder mystery series set in a town with a bakery......all the bakery recipes are scattered throughout the books, very fun reading.....the first in the series is The Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder.......
As for me & my house, we will serve the Lord Joshua 24:15
Project Life Scrapbook Swap
Round 4 4x6 Block Scrapbook Swap
Old 02-07-2011, 03:41 PM   #1663
Rubber Room Resident

Thanks Sandy for the info. I got a Kindle for my husband for his birthday yesterday but I don't see it happening on his. Mine must be a special edition

Thanks everyone for sharing your book recommendations, I want to try some of these.
So glad I found this thread!

Joanne

www.sleepyinseattle.net
Old 02-07-2011, 04:43 PM   #1664
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Thanks Sandy for the info. I got a Kindle for my husband for his birthday yesterday but I don't see it happening on his. Mine must be a special edition

Thanks everyone for sharing your book recommendations, I want to try some of these.
So glad I found this thread!
Me too.....just found this thread tonight and I have been scrolling back and making my library list!!! Thanks for all the great recommendations !!! Looking forward to keeping up with this thread!!
Old 02-07-2011, 06:14 PM   #1665
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibbyWaterman View Post
I am in a series by Joanne Fluke......its a murder mystery series set in a town with a bakery......all the bakery recipes are scattered throughout the books, very fun reading.....the first in the series is The Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder.......
Thanks! That sounds good! I just finished some Susan Wiggs books that had a lot of recipes in them, too. I think it was Winter Lodge and Dockside, which are #s 2 and 3 in the Lakeshore Chronicles. The first one is called Summer at Willow Lake. I've said it on another thread, but I've loved this series!
Old 02-08-2011, 07:46 AM   #1666
Rubber Room Resident

I am on to First Family- Abigail & John Adams by Joseph Ellis. I can never get enough of American History.

Joanne

www.sleepyinseattle.net
Old 02-10-2011, 01:50 PM   #1667
Full of Malarky

I'm on a scandanavian mystery thing!! I've read several books by Henning Mankell - Faceless Murders, Dogs of Riga, - about 5 of them. He is swedish. NowI am on my third book by an Icelandic writer Arnaldur Indridason. Great bleak but well written mysteries. My current read is Voices by that author. Very much enjoying the book!
The World Needs More Canada - Bono
Old 02-10-2011, 07:09 PM   #1668
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by allee's View Post
Freedom by Jonathan Franzen
on the list for this at the library. It is the next book club book.

jennik
Old 02-10-2011, 07:11 PM   #1669
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
I am on to First Family- Abigail & John Adams by Joseph Ellis. I can never get enough of American History.

Is this the book that the HBO mini series was based on? That was a good series, so if this is the book, I think you will like it. Eventhough the movie and the book never match, it still should be close.

jennik
Old 02-11-2011, 12:09 PM   #1670
Die Cut Diva

I just finished Weird Sisters by Eleanor Brown. I think I'd give it 3 stars out of five. It just sort of plodded along to me. It is written in first person plural, and that was very distracting in this particular book. I kept wondering who was "talking." I understand the message that the author was communicating, but I finished the book, and wished I had the time back that I had spent reading it...like I had wasted it, when I could have been reading something really good. Since my reading time is so limited, I have decided that whatever the genre, I want to enjoy it to the max. I should have read the first two chapters and the last chapter. I don't think I would have missed much on the "in between."

My next book (that I will start tonight on my way to Dallas) is Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley. I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy this one!

Ya'll have a great weekend!
Old 02-15-2011, 06:41 PM   #1671
Stazon Splitcoast

Reading Whiplash by Catherine Coulter. So far so good.
Just put about 15 books on my wish list at the library.

jennik
Old 02-16-2011, 01:22 AM   #1672
Rubber Obsessor

Only 15.....

Quote:
Reading Whiplash by Catherine Coulter. So far so good.
Just put about 15 books on my wish list at the library.

jennik
Old 02-17-2011, 09:35 AM   #1673
Gabfest Goddess

LIBBY: This thread is for the discussion of BOOKS people are reading. Please stop spamming us about your swap, as this is NOT the forum for it. Thank you.

Heather

Old 02-17-2011, 09:38 AM   #1674
Gabfest Goddess

Jenni: What are you going to do if all fifteen -- or even half of them -- come in at the same time? LOL

I am feeling like a slug compared to January. Ten books read that month, and so far I am only on book four for February. Read so far this month:

Baltimore Blues by Laura Lippman (read for MD setting)
Charm City by Laura Lippman
Slay it With Flowers by Kate Collins (book 2 of series)
Dearly Depotted by Kate Collins (book 3 of series, 40% through so far)

Methinks I need to try to pick up the pace a bit.

Heather

Old 02-17-2011, 10:07 AM   #1675
Rubber Room Resident

I'm sorry Jenni, I didn't see this post before.
No, this book is by Joseph Ellis and focuses more on the relationship between John and Abigail with a lot of their correspondence when they were apart (which was a lot).
I loved the mini series with Paul Giamatti as Adams, he did an amazing job. That one was based on the David McCullough book.

Quote:
Is this the book that the HBO mini series was based on? That was a good series, so if this is the book, I think you will like it. Eventhough the movie and the book never match, it still should be close.

jennik

Joanne

www.sleepyinseattle.net
Old 02-17-2011, 10:34 AM   #1676
Glitter Guru

Quote:
LIBBY: This thread is for the discussion of BOOKS people are reading. Please stop spamming us about your swap, as this is NOT the forum for it. Thank you.

Heather
All I can say is WOW... I certainly didn't intend to offend anyone ..... More and more I am finding SCS to be just another forum for mean girls.... Sorry if I offended anyone with my post
Old 02-17-2011, 11:18 AM   #1677
Glitter Guru

Quote:
All I can say is WOW... I certainly didn't intend to offend anyone ..... More and more I am finding SCS to be just another forum for mean girls.... Sorry if I offended anyone with my post
Oddly enough I am reading "Friendships for Grownups" by Lisa Welchel....all about how rough and mean women can be to each other as adults.....and how we should try to be more compassionate towards each other........hmmmm
Old 02-18-2011, 10:39 AM   #1678
Stazon Splitcoast

I just finished Angela's Ashes and started the second book Tis. I'm really enjoying reading them.

I need to take inventory of what I have stacked on the nightstand and the bookcase and loaded in my Kindle!
Old 02-18-2011, 10:43 AM   #1679
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Sorry if you are offended, but did it not once, but twice in a week's time. This forum is for the discussion of books, not swaps, and your posts were a bit distracting (and, you will note, have been removed). If people want to see what swaps are open, they check out the swap forum. As for mean, I do believe the words "please" and "thank you" were included.

Getting ready to start a new book for the weekend, but have not decided whether to read the next book in the Kate Collins Flower Shop Mystery series, Snipped in the Bud, or Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins.

Decisions, decisions...

H.

Last edited by WordTrix; 02-18-2011 at 10:49 AM..
Old 02-18-2011, 04:55 PM   #1680
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Jenni: What are you going to do if all fifteen -- or even half of them -- come in at the same time? LOL

Methinks I need to try to pick up the pace a bit.

Heather
READ BABY!!! I know that they will ALL show up at the same time, but one can always be hopefull!! And try to re-new as many as I can until I finish!! I am such a binge reader. I will read solid for a couple of days then a couple with not so much. OH well, too late to change now.

jennik