Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2010, 11:05 AM   #1561
Gabfest Goddess

Will read just about anything.

Nothing wrong with that!

Heather

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 11-19-2010, 10:43 AM   #1562
Gabfest Goddess

Wow, quiet week in here. Everyone must be busy crafting or reading!

I finally finished Why? Because We Still Like You by Jennifer Armstrong. It was an okay read, a comprehensive look at how the original Mickey Mouse Club was concepted, some behind the scenes stuff and what happened to the Mice after MMC, as well as how the show impacted television, and especially children's programming (though that section could have been more in depth). I would recommend it to anyone who remembers the original MMC (in reruns or during its original run), and who likes biographies and anything Disney.

Also read Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut which, while not a difficult read, was a bit challenging considering the nonlinear way it was written. Liked it, but did not love it.

Now: Am just about to start another mystery, Murder is Binding by Lorna Barrett, the first of a four-book series.

Heather

Old 12-03-2010, 05:13 PM   #1563
Stazon Splitcoast

Heather, you are right, it has been very quite around this thread. What is up with that??? I was on a marathon reading binge over Thanksgiving. Can't be on the computer and read, so there you go.
Read: The Healer; The 9th Judgement ; Private; Tough Customer; Santa Fe Edge and started The Rembrandt Affair

jennik
Old 12-04-2010, 03:24 PM   #1564
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennik View Post
Found the new Nora Roberts, Happily Ever After, 4th in the bride quartet series. Love a good romance book!!
Just finished it. Debating starting from the beginning and reading them all again! Sometimes I just need need fluff!
Old 12-04-2010, 03:27 PM   #1565
Stazon Splitcoast

Just finished "Best Friends Forever" by Jennifer Weiner. HORRIBLE!! She should be embarrassed and I'm sorry I paid $10 for it on my Kindle. It was by far the worst book I have read in a long time.

I downloaded a bunch of free stuff lately from Amazon so nothing has been fantastic but some are entertaining.

I like to check here and see what everyone is reading.

I tend to steer clear of Oprah's recommendations. I have been disappointed several times.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:48 PM   #1566
Insane Embellisher

Speaking of Oprah's recommendations.... I'm reading Freedom. It started of a bit slow for me, but definitely has picked up; and I'm only a little over a third of the way into it now.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:34 AM   #1567
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyStamper View Post
Just finished it. Debating starting from the beginning and reading them all again! Sometimes I just need need fluff!

Diffently go back and re-read all of them in order!! Very fun weekend reading!

jennik
Old 12-05-2010, 09:37 AM   #1568
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Just finished "Best Friends Forever" by Jennifer Weiner. HORRIBLE!! She should be embarrassed and I'm sorry I paid $10 for it on my Kindle. It was by far the worst book I have read in a long time.

I downloaded a bunch of free stuff lately from Amazon so nothing has been fantastic but some are entertaining.

I tend to steer clear of Oprah's recommendations. I have been disappointed several times.

oh man, I am on the waiting list for this at the library. Now you have got me scared.

And, yes I tooo have been dissappointed by Oprah's picks. blech!!

jennik
Old 12-06-2010, 10:23 AM   #1569
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
I was on a marathon reading binge over Thanksgiving. Can't be on the computer and read, so there you go.
Read: The Healer; The 9th Judgement ; Private; Tough Customer; Santa Fe Edge and started The Rembrandt Affair
Jenni: Wow, you really did go on a reading binge! Way to go you!

I finished MURDER IS BINDING by Lorna Barrett, which I liked. Will definitely be reading more of the series in 2011.

Also read two books by last month's featured author in the cozy mysteries group at GR, Donald Bain, who writes the MURDER, SHE WROTE tie-in books. I tried two, YOU BET YOUR LIFE and A LITTLE YULE TIDE MURDER. Sorry to say, this series/author did not appeal to me. It took me forever to get through them, and not just because of the Thanksgiving holiday. They are told in point of view of Jessica Fletcher, and I just could not get into her "voice." I also felt the pacing far too slow. So, I gave them a shot, but will not be reading more of this series.

This month's featured author is Agatha Christie, and I hope to read THE MYSTERIOUS AFFAIR AT STYLES in between all the Christmas-themed books I hope to get to over the next month (I signed up for the challenge running Nov 26-Jan 6 again this year). So far my current book, A COP IN HER STOCKING by local writer Ann Voss Peterson, is going MUCH faster and I am liking it A LOT more than YULE TIDE. I read more than half yesterday, and probably would have finished if not for the migraine that hit mid-afternoon. Tonight, for sure!

Heather

Old 12-07-2010, 10:44 AM   #1570
Gabfest Goddess

Speaking of Oprah's picks...

I've only read a couple over the years, and usually years after the fact, but was surprised and impressed last night to see that her latest pick is a two-in-one by Charles Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities/Great Expectations. Have not yet read the former, though it is on the TBR shelf, but did like the latter when I read it in high school.

Heather

Old 12-07-2010, 12:32 PM   #1571
Crimping Master

Quote:
Just finished "Best Friends Forever" by Jennifer Weiner. HORRIBLE!! She should be embarrassed and I'm sorry I paid $10 for it on my Kindle. It was by far the worst book I have read in a long time. I downloaded a bunch of free stuff lately from Amazon so nothing has been fantastic but some are entertaining.

I have picked up that book so many times to buy it and keep putting it down for some reasons. I treasure my friendships and thought it would be a perfect read.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:58 PM   #1572
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by simvan View Post
I have picked up that book so many times to buy it and keep putting it down for some reasons. I treasure my friendships and thought it would be a perfect read.
It is honestly terrible!!! There is nothing quality about this book. It is almost like she got to the end and thought "I better hurry up and finish." I may not read another one of her books because I'm still insulted by this book!!

A great friendship book "Firefly Lane."
Old 12-07-2010, 02:00 PM   #1573
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
oh man, I am on the waiting list for this at the library. Now you have got me scared.

And, yes I tooo have been dissappointed by Oprah's picks. blech!!

jennik
Just don't expect anything all the great. It was so stupid and badly written. She should be ashamed!!

I don't need books to be thought provoking, as witnessed by my love of Nora Roberts fluff and other romance novels, but this book is terrible.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:52 PM   #1574
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Just don't expect anything all the great. It was so stupid and badly written. She should be ashamed!!

I don't need books to be thought provoking, as witnessed by my love of Nora Roberts fluff and other romance novels, but this book is terrible.

I LOVE Nora, so there you go. Thanks for the heads up about the other book. May pass on it when I get to the library. some many books to read, so little time.

jennik
Old 12-10-2010, 11:10 AM   #1575
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

I like the way you put that! I haven't read the book, but I don't need books to be thought provoking, etc. to enjoy them. You should see the fluff in my goodreads list! I'll be sure to avoid that one.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:12 AM   #1576
Hardware Hotshot

I just read the synopsis on Firefly Lane. It does look good.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:30 PM   #1577
Crimping Master

Quote:
Just finished "Best Friends Forever" by Jennifer Weiner. HORRIBLE!! She should be embarrassed and I'm sorry I paid $10 for it on my Kindle. It was by far the worst book I have read in a long time. .
Oh my gosh - I think we finished that stupid, stupid book on the same day!
I had been on a stretch of reading several really good books, and then that one, which was complete torture to finish. Ugh.

Good books I've read lately...

Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult
Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay
and a couple Dean Koontz books whose names escape me right at the moment.

Currently reading Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah (it's okay, I guess)

I think I'm going to have to read back through this thread to find my next book!

Last edited by LidaB; 12-10-2010 at 12:36 PM..
Old 12-12-2010, 01:10 PM   #1578
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin in Okc View Post
I haven't read the book, but I don't need books to be thought provoking, etc. to enjoy them. You should see the fluff in my goodreads list!
Just because a book isn't thought-provoking doesn't make it fluff. "Fluff" when used in this context has the meaning of "inconsequential." I think all on this board can agree that NO reading is inconsequential. It does not matter whether you read mystery, romance, thrillers, science-fiction, fantasy, biography or weighty "literary" fiction. Let's be honest, a lot of "literary" fiction isn't all that great, and writing one genre is just as difficult as any other.

What matters is that a person actually READS. Besides, much of what is considered a "classic" today was once deemed "trash" when originally published. Take pride in what you read, whether it be "light" or "heavy," and leave it at that!

Heather

Old 12-12-2010, 01:15 PM   #1579
Gabfest Goddess

That having been said, I have finished two romances for the Christmas-theme reading challenge: A COP IN HER STOCKING by Ann Voss Peterson (loved it), and a 3-in-1 anthology, BETTER NAUGHTY THAN NICE with novellas by Vicki Lewis Thompson, Jill Shalvis and Rhonda Nelson. A nice steamy collection of holiday stories. VLT and Jill are tow of my favorite writers, and this was a nice introduction to Rhonda Nelson.

Was hoping Heidi Bett's THE BITE BEFORE CHRISTMAS would arrive in time to start next (won it three weeks ago), but no sign of it yet so maybe I'll start THE CHRISTMAS TRAIN by David Baldacci tonight. It comes highly recommended. Anyone else read it, or anything else by Baldacci? This will be my first by him.

Heather

Old 12-12-2010, 04:54 PM   #1580
Proud Fan Club Member

Still working my way through the Left Behind series. I'm on Book Ten - "The Remnant." I'm not a Fundamentalist Christian, which seems to be the main feel of the books, but I am enjoying them. I'm Catholic (had a little problem with the Pope back in the first several books).
Old 12-13-2010, 04:52 PM   #1581
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordTrix View Post
Was hoping Heidi Bett's THE BITE BEFORE CHRISTMAS would arrive in time to start next (won it three weeks ago), but no sign of it yet so maybe I'll start THE CHRISTMAS TRAIN by David Baldacci tonight. It comes highly recommended. Anyone else read it, or anything else by Baldacci? This will be my first by him.

Heather
I have not read that particular book by Baldacci..I read the description on Amazon and it seems like a departure from his usual thrillers. I have read several of his other books and really enjoyed them : Split Second, Total Control, Absolute Power...I would highly recommend any of those.
Old 12-13-2010, 04:59 PM   #1582
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownmom View Post
Still working my way through the Left Behind series. I'm on Book Ten - "The Remnant." I'm not a Fundamentalist Christian, which seems to be the main feel of the books, but I am enjoying them. I'm Catholic (had a little problem with the Pope back in the first several books).
I'm Catholic too. Loved the first couple books but the latter ones had me snoozing.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:00 PM   #1583
Stazon Splitcoast

Currently on my bedside table:

The Other Boleyn Girl
Nickel and Dimed (parent is trying to have this banned at my local high schol) Me likey banned books!!!
Catcher in the Rye/To Kill a Mockingbird - my book club picks for Feb. (Both will be rereads for me but read them in high school/college so looking forward to it!)
Old 12-13-2010, 08:06 PM   #1584
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordTrix View Post
That having been said, I have finished two romances for the Christmas-theme reading challenge: A COP IN HER STOCKING by Ann Voss Peterson (loved it), and a 3-in-1 anthology, BETTER NAUGHTY THAN NICE with novellas by Vicki Lewis Thompson, Jill Shalvis and Rhonda Nelson. A nice steamy collection of holiday stories. VLT and Jill are tow of my favorite writers, and this was a nice introduction to Rhonda Nelson.

Heather
I TRIED to read, but alas, to no avail. Could not get into it. blech!!! And I have several of his suspense books, The Camel Club, the Collectors, Deliver us from Evil, just to name a few, and liked them. So I don't know what is up with the Christmas book. Felt a little forced.

jennik
Old 12-13-2010, 08:09 PM   #1585
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenguin View Post

The Other Boleyn Girl
Nickel and Dimed (parent is trying to have this banned at my local high schol) Me likey banned books!!!
Catcher in the Rye/To Kill a Mockingbird - my book club picks for Feb. (Both will be rereads for me but read them in high school/college so looking forward to it!)
This one was pretty good. Thanks for the heads up on the banned book, too!! I always try to read those too. Just because I am like that....

jennik
Old 12-14-2010, 02:08 AM   #1586
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

The Other Boleyn Girl
Loved The Other Boleyn Girl! Wasn't overwhelmed by the movie though.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:00 PM   #1587
Gabfest Goddess

Peeps and Jenni: I have not read anything else of Baldacci's, though I do have THE CAMEL CLUB in the TBR pile, but did like THE CHRISTMAS TRAIN. There were some scenes that had me practically in tears, while others nearly had me laughing out loud on the bus.

Have not done as much reading as hoped this month, partly due to Christmas related stuff, but there have also been nights when I've just been too tired to read.

Heather

Old 12-20-2010, 05:09 AM   #1588
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

The Other Boleyn Girl
The Other Boleyn Girl was good. No, the movie was not worthy of the book.

Why are they trying to have Nickeled and Dimed Banned? Because it doesn't say that poor people are lazy and evil?
Old 12-20-2010, 05:11 AM   #1589
Pearl-ExPert

The Christmas Train was ok but that's about all
Old 12-23-2010, 03:07 PM   #1590
Full of Malarky

I just finished one of my most favourite books ever! It was witty, thoughtful and just plain wonderful! I saw it in my local bookstore -and it was a wonderful read! Nothing like that light goofy Alexander McCall books. It was Mr Pettgrew's Last Stand - you can read about it here - Amazon.com: Major Pettigrew's Last Stand: A Novel (Random House Reader's Circle) (9780812981223): Helen Simonson: Books

Can't remember the author - I already gave it to a friend to read.
The World Needs More Canada - Bono
Old 12-23-2010, 03:22 PM   #1591
Stazon Splitcoast

I loved Major Pettigrew, too..it's by Helen Simonson. It's an unexpected love story....very enjoyable read. I just started The Widow's War by Sally Gunning..it's an historical novel..the first in a series I think..anyone read anything by her?
Old 12-24-2010, 06:06 PM   #1592
Stazon Splitcoast

Picked up a few book at the library that were recommended here. Started Murder is Binding, and have Nickel and Dimed on the pile of TBR. May have to sneak away from all of the holiday festivies.

jennik
Old 12-26-2010, 02:52 PM   #1593
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Heather, you are right, it has been very quite around this thread. What is up with that??? I was on a marathon reading binge over Thanksgiving. Can't be on the computer and read, so there you go.

jennik
Hi - Private by James Patterson? If yes, how was this book?

Joi
Old 12-26-2010, 03:08 PM   #1594
Die Cut Diva

Has anyone here read the Jack Reacher series?? Just read 61 hours and really liked it.
Old 12-26-2010, 05:08 PM   #1595
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joi G. View Post
Hi - Private by James Patterson? If yes, how was this book?

Joi

Yes, by James Patterson. A fairly recent release. Got lucky at the library. It was pretty good. Very fast read, the the usual twist at the end. If you read his books then I think you will like this one, too. If you are new to him, I think the Women's Murder Club books are better. JMHO.

jennik
Old 12-26-2010, 05:10 PM   #1596
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriciae View Post
Has anyone here read the Jack Reacher series?? Just read 61 hours and really liked it.
Ohhhh... I think these books. I have all them and I am on the list at the library for this book (number 600 gazillion, I think), so I may get to read it someday.

jennik
Old 12-26-2010, 05:47 PM   #1597
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Yes, by James Patterson. A fairly recent release. Got lucky at the library. It was pretty good. Very fast read, the the usual twist at the end. If you read his books then I think you will like this one, too. If you are new to him, I think the Women's Murder Club books are better. JMHO.

jennik
Oh, okay I will stop by my library tomorrow to see if they have it. I love James Patterson. I read the Women's Murder Club Books earlier this year.

thanks,

Joi
Old 12-28-2010, 07:50 AM   #1598
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

The Other Boleyn Girl
What is in Nickel and Dimed that would want a parent banning it. I read it awhile ago but it was a great book. I still have it on my shelf. Might need to go back and read it again!
Old 12-28-2010, 07:55 AM   #1599
Stazon Splitcoast

I need to get reading!

I have a bunch of downloads on my Kindle. A coworker just gave me "Tis" to read but said I have to read Angela's Ashes first. Turns out our local used bookstore closed and it didn't appear to be in Kindle.

Any recommendations for online used bookstores? I really don't want to pay a new price for it since I don't reread my books as a rule.

I just reread "Last Night at Chateau Marmont." Such a cute and fun story.

I just bought The Sugeon and Apprentice by Tess Gerritsen. My coworker suggested them. I have to remember which one comes first though.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:56 AM   #1600
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriciae View Post
My mom just finished this book and really likes the series although she said she doesn't like the way they seem to abruptly end.