Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-20-2007, 09:38 AM   #121
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via AIM to buggab0o0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDee0265
I had lost interest in reading 2 years ago when my brother died, and my BF had bought me one of James Patterson's books this past Christmas that I had wanted. So I read it the first week of Jan. After that I made a resolution to read 2 books a month from then on. I am now in the middle of book #9, so I am a little ahead of myself, I'm glad I have gone back to reading!
YAY, and you're ahead of your goal- even better... That is a good resolution... things happen in our lives and things change sometimes it's hard to find joy in things that we love doing. Glad you have found your Joy in reading once again....

I FINALLY got Prisoner of Azkaban, had to go to target to get it.... ugh- I like Target's quality on most of their items, but sometimes they are pricey- walmart is good for my country CD's and books for cheaper.... Told walmart I was upset they didnt have it for like 3 weeks now, but their shelves were covered with Series of unfortunate events, and Chronicles of Narnia , and self help books... they had the nerve to tell me that Most of the Harry Potter Hype is disipating... I was like what- even with the final book coming out in July... I just got a blank stare... sometimes I wonder about people Target had a nice display, and had the box set which I should have gone and picked up in the first place... LoL

So I will start reading prisoner of Azkaban tonight... YAY
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 04-20-2007, 11:43 AM   #122
Embossing Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to DeeDee0265

Yes, I do enjoy it again. I find myself already choosing which book I'll read nexzt before I finish the one I am reading.

The prices at my Walmart are great, but there isn't much of a selection of books. At least at Target you can find older titles.
The only book stores near me are in the malls or shopping centers in the next towns. I wish I had a local bookstore I could browse through.
Sometimes I just go online and shop for books on Amazon.

The soul would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:30 PM   #123
Hardware Hotshot

I was reading Atonement by Ian McEwan but HATED IT (too verbose and laborious for my tastes). I read up to page 100 and gave up on it. So now I am reading The Pact by Jodi Picoult. So far, so good! I just started last night and am halfway through the book.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:35 PM   #124
Babe-Alicious!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Jeanniebabes

I am TRYING to read "Reading Lolita in Tehran" A memoir in Books by Azar Nafisi. My book club picked it and its not an easy read at all! I dont think I will even finish it by the time I have to take it back to the library.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:52 PM   #125
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanniebabes
I am TRYING to read "Reading Lolita in Tehran" A memoir in Books by Azar Nafisi. My book club picked it and its not an easy read at all! I dont think I will even finish it by the time I have to take it back to the library.
If it makes you feel any better, I also had a hard time reading this book. It was very laborious to me. My usual rule is to read to page 70 before deciding to continue reading a book and I had to FORCE myself to get to page 70 on that book.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:21 PM   #126
Rubber Obsessor

You might check out your local library & see if they have book sales - I volunteer at our Friends of the Library and we have weekly book sales at bargain prices ($1. & .50!!) - a lot of times I find practically new books. I know a lot of libraries only have annual or once a month sales - we fortunately have a large space & have something like 30,000 volumes! A lot are donated, some withdrawals from the library system, etc.
Nancy
Old 04-20-2007, 05:52 PM   #127
Babe-Alicious!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Jeanniebabes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassybee
If it makes you feel any better, I also had a hard time reading this book. It was very laborious to me. My usual rule is to read to page 70 before deciding to continue reading a book and I had to FORCE myself to get to page 70 on that book.
ya everyone in the book club is having a hard time reading it. i do force myself to at least read a few pages a day. i did get thru the first part, lolita, i am now on gatsby. but our book club is next friday, i dont think i will be finished.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:16 PM   #128
Stampin' Fool

I am reading a book on Elizabeth I and Queen Mary of Scotland. It is very interesting how intertwined their lives were.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:00 PM   #129
Glitter Guru

I just started reading The Bureau and the Mole by David Vise
I just finished Love in a Torn Land -by Jean Sasson. It is NOT a love story (I can not stand reading love stories). It is a true story about a woman who is half Kurd and half Arab and lived through more than one gas attack by sadam as well as many other vile actions from him. It was an excellent book and really made me wonder why we never stopped Sadam's madness in the 80s...
Old 04-25-2007, 07:39 AM   #130
Insane Embellisher

I just finished reading Blue Water by A Manette Ansay. I would recommend it. It is full of emotion and a quick read.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:50 AM   #131
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Brown67
"Has anyone read the Diana Gabaldon series? I got it for Xmas and I haven't even touched it. I am a big reader, so it surprises me that I've had them but not touched them for so long, but for some reason I guess I'm a little intimidated by them. For starters, those books are just HUGE and I've heard many times that they are pretty wordy...so I keep looking at them but choosing something else."

Stop procrastinating and start reading!!!!!
This series is AMAZING!! You will love the characters and love the story. One of the books, I think it's Voyager. or something about a voyage, has some stuff that's hard to swallow, but you won't care because you'll be so invested in the story! I've read the entire series and reread first two, plus a few other things Gabaldon has published. LOVE her!!!

Melissa
I love this series too and have read and re-read all of them! Great adventure, plus it really gave me a new perspective on life in colonial America. It wasn't written to be as quaint as I had imagined. Does anyone know if A Breath of Snow and Ashes is definitely the last title in the series? I keep hoping for more...
Old 04-25-2007, 10:11 AM   #132
Rubber Obsessor

Location: locked in my classroom with a bunch of crazy teenagers!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen71
Does anyone know if A Breath of Snow and Ashes is definitely the last title in the series? I keep hoping for more...
It's supposed to be the last in the series, but I really think it was open-ended enough for there to be another book. I think Gabaldon loves Jamie and Claire as much as the rest of us!
Melissa
Old 04-25-2007, 11:32 AM   #133
Die Cut Diva

Showdown by Ted Dekker. It's a trip and a half.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:20 PM   #134
Hardware Hotshot

I just finished reading The Pact by Jodi Picoult. It was great and very thought provoking. I read it in two days and was one of those books that I couldn't put down.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:45 PM   #135
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via Yahoo to Sairabee

Quote:
I just finished reading The Pact by Jodi Picoult. It was great and very thought provoking. I read it in two days and was one of those books that I couldn't put down.
That was the second book I've read by her (first was Plain Truth) and thought it was awesome! I couldn't put it down either!

I finished "Scarlett" (sequel to Gone With The Wind) today and picked up "Forever" by Pete Hamill... has anyone read that? I'm intrigued! I had it on my bookshelf and can't for the life of me remember how it got there. *hmph*!
Old 04-26-2007, 02:18 PM   #136
Polyshrink Goddess

Emma by Jane Austen. Glad to see there are other Austen fans here. Maybe we should start an Austen discussion thread
Old 04-27-2007, 03:40 AM   #137
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanna106
The Glass Castle was very good--a true story. The author of the book is a columnist for MSNBC news. It was great to see how people can overcome such adversities but I was very sad and angry throughout the book.
I"m reading Glass Castle now ... what a nut job the father is! I've pretty much just started it but, can't wait until this weekend so I can really dive into it!
Old 04-27-2007, 07:49 AM   #138
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyP
I"m reading Glass Castle now ... what a nut job the father is! I've pretty much just started it but, can't wait until this weekend so I can really dive into it!
Great book, but BOY was I angry after reading it. Some people just should NOT have children, kwim?
Old 04-27-2007, 10:55 AM   #139
Mad Swapper

Quote:
I was reading Atonement by Ian McEwan but HATED IT (too verbose and laborious for my tastes). I read up to page 100 and gave up on it.
Really? I loved Atonement. Definitely one of my all-time favourite books. Well, actually, I wasn't that thrilled with the middle of the book, but I thought the first part was fabulous, and the last third was really good. And the ending took me totally by surprise.

Both my book clubs read this and some people loved the beginning the best and others weren't crazy about the beginning, but loved the rest of it. I've only read a few McEwans, but so far I think he's brilliant.

View My Gallery
Old 04-27-2007, 10:57 AM   #140
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanniebabes
My book club read Reading Lolita too. I really didn't like it. I'm not sure why it's so popular with book clubs or why it's a best seller because most people I know who have read it didn't like it either.

View My Gallery
Old 04-27-2007, 01:41 PM   #141
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via AIM to Carol Haney

I just finished reading Tami Hoag's Prior Bad Acts. Another really great book by her. Gotta get the Alabi Man next...keep 'em coming Tami.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:06 PM   #142
Matboard Maniac

Smile 2nd try on the Life of Pi

I just recommended "Life of Pi" to my book club, but "Gap River" was chosen. I can't start reading GR yet because I seem to have a very limited memory on the books I read (probably because I read too fast!) So... I started "Life of Pi" that night. I seem to be enjoying it so far.

I started a fantasy novel by Anne Perry (Tathea??), but I couldn't get into it. I REALLY love good fantasy books. I also started "the Historian", but lost interest. Has anyone read the Historian? My sister said she didn't like it so I am not sure whether I should plunge in. It was a gift.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:30 PM   #143
Mad Swapper

I've been able to do a lot of reading over the last two weeks. This weekend I read The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold, which was pretty good, and definitely different. Then I read Negotiating with the Dead: a Writer on Writing, by Margaret Atwood.

Now I'm reading Anil's Ghost, by Michael Ondaatje. I'm only on page 30, but so far it's soooo good. It's about a Sri Lankan ex-pat who returns to Sri Lanka as a forensic anthropologist investigating political murders during their civil war.

View My Gallery
Old 05-01-2007, 02:27 PM   #144
Rubber Obsessor

I love it! A discussion of books on my favorite stamping site!

My book club is currently reading Bleak House by Dickens. We're concentrating on the classics this year (my big idea) and we've already read In This House of Brede by Rumer Godden (this is the author that Bruce and Demi's daughter is named for), Pride and Prejudice (awesome book) and To Kill a Mockingbird, which is even better the umpteenth time around.

We read Reading Lolite in Tehran a few years ago. I really didn't like it. It felt like she took her diary, translated it into English (poorly), and had it published.

We loved The Kite Runner and Life of Pi and many, many others. A new favorite that we just loved is The Mercy of Thin Air by Romlyn (sp?) Donague. I passed it on to my sisters and aunt. It's a must read.

And most of us are huge Diana Gabaldon fans! The Outlander series is a favorite. A Breath of Snow and Ashes is not her last book in the series. She is currently writing the next one. Don't know if there will be more after that. She probably doesn't even know. Depends how far she gets. There was supposed to be an ending based on an event in Breath, but it passed and the story continues. (Can't say more -- it's a spoiler for those who haven't read it.) Check out her web page (do a google search for Diana Gabaldon. It won't let me post the link)

Sorry this is so long. I just can go on and on about books!
Old 05-01-2007, 04:09 PM   #145
Hardware Hotshot

Right now I am reading Sala's Gift: My Mother's Holocaust Story. The author's mother never spoke of her story until the eve of her open heart surgery fifty years later. It focuses on a different aspect of the holocaust----labor camps, instead of concentration camps. In these camps, the inmates were actually involved in real work and treated fairly well (in comparison to those in concentration camps) and were fed. They were also allowed to send and receive mail, which plays an integral part of the book. This book is very captivating and it is very interesting to read the letters mailed to Sala.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:10 PM   #146
Hardware Hotshot

[quote=nickelini]I've been able to do a lot of reading over the last two weeks. This weekend I read The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold, which was pretty good, and definitely different. Then I read Negotiating with the Dead: a Writer on Writing, by Margaret Atwood.

Now I'm reading Anil's Ghost, by Michael Ondaatje. I'm only on page 30, but so far it's soooo good. It's about a Sri Lankan ex-pat who returns to Sri Lanka as a forensic anthropologist investigating political murders during their civil war.[/quote]
Sounds very interesting. When you have completed the book, please let us know what you think!
Old 05-01-2007, 04:39 PM   #147
Her Royal Awesomeness of Shiner Bock PTA Pirate Land

current events on scs.....

2013 Scrapping Goal 48 pages
To date 20 completed!

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Old 05-02-2007, 06:58 PM   #148
Watercolor Wizard

I took a break from my "usual" type and am reading Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants... just for fun! Saw the movie ... the book is very different.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:56 PM   #149
Matboard Maniac

Smile detour

This thread is so fun!
I have taking a detour from Life of Pi and started reading "Love and Other Impossible Pursuits" by Ayelet Waldham. The author has also written some "Mommy Track Mystery books" that I find hilarious. This book is a little more serious, but the author's wit and prose are fabulous. The main character had her baby die and is trying to piece together her life and slowly build a relationship with her 5 year-old stepson, Will. I started it 2 days ago, and I'm almost done! (Of course, my May Christmas cards aren't done! )

I can't wait to try some of the books mentioned on this thread.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:10 PM   #150
Mad Swapper

I am reading:

The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien.

Currently being read by my Junior in high school - that way we can 'discuss' the happenings.

I am impressed with the book and having a hard time not just reading it thru. I have to pace myself so that I am close to the same area as Wakko is.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:48 PM   #151
Polyshrink Goddess

i am reading "the memory keepers daughter", great so far....

MWBS
Mom to 2 girls...love being creative...in everything I do...
DREAMS REALLY DO COME TRUE......Walt Disney
I THINK I CAN, I THINK I CAN.....
Old 05-07-2007, 05:11 AM   #152
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwbs
i am reading "the memory keepers daughter", great so far....
I LOVE that book!
Old 05-08-2007, 05:22 PM   #153
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Now I'm reading Anil's Ghost, by Michael Ondaatje. I'm only on page 30, but so far it's soooo good. It's about a Sri Lankan ex-pat who returns to Sri Lanka as a forensic anthropologist investigating political murders during their civil war.[/quote]
Sounds very interesting. When you have completed the book, please let us know what you think!
Well, I finished Anil's Ghost and I loved it. Usually when I really like a book I read right through it and neglect everything else that I can get away with. But this book I read slowly and really savoured. It's very nuanced, and Ondaatje writes in an evocative way, so with this one I liked to read a bit and then just reflect on what I read and the beautiful language.

It's very different from the typical forensic thriller (eg: Patricia Cornwell, or something you'd see on CSI), not plot-driven, but more cerebral. I especially loved the juxtaposition of the ancient cultures with the modern. Despite being set during a war, the book made me really want to go to Sri Lanka. I think this is a book that you have to be in the right mood to read . . . but I was, because it was one of the best books I've read in ages.

View My Gallery
Old 05-11-2007, 02:17 AM   #154
Rubber Obsessor

I have just finished Rococco by Adriana Trigiani - I got for my birthday in June last year and had forgotten about it until I was rearranging my book shelf a few weeks ago. Anyway, I've enjoyed all of her previous books but I really struggled with this one. To me it seemed very slow and the main character - B - just didn't seem to have much depth, I couldn't really warm to him and want him to achieve his goals IYKWIM?
Old 05-12-2007, 07:07 AM   #155
Stampin' Fool

I've just started reading The Queens Conjuror by Benjamin Woolley, extremely interesting read so far.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:24 PM   #156
Pearl-ExPert

I am a detective/cop/mystery/thriller fan.
I'm avidly waiting for new books from Lee Child, John Sanford, Michael Connelly, et al. Just read something by Peter Spiegelman.

Baby Fiona! You are sooooo sweet!
Old 05-13-2007, 08:29 AM   #157
Inking Addict

I am in the middle of preparing for a big exam (2 weeks more to go) and a friend recommended: The Undomestic Goddess. It was a fun read, but really takes a look at the art race of life and the joys of stepping away from it all.
Has anyone else read this? What did you think?
Old 05-13-2007, 08:30 AM   #158
Inking Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy stamps
I am in the middle of preparing for a big exam (2 weeks more to go) and a friend recommended: The Undomestic Goddess. It was a fun read, but really takes a look at the art race of life and the joys of stepping away from it all.

RAT race..not art race...oops!
Old 05-14-2007, 09:08 AM   #159
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy stamps

Sounds like an interested read, may I ask who the author is???

Old 05-14-2007, 05:13 PM   #160
Inking Addict

The Undomestic Goddess is by Sophie Kinsella.