Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-13-2007, 06:46 PM   #81
Mad Swapper

Default Mansfield Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by lishee
I agree. I tried reading that a few years ago and it was hard to get through. I love Jane Austen though.
Well, I finished Mansfield Park, and in the end I thought it was excellent. It really helped that I read it for a class, and we discussed it. As with book clubs, it helps sooooo much to discuss a book with others who have read it. And it helps to read this book slowly. If you speed through at a Danielle Steel pace, you'll miss everything but the plot line. Almost each sentence in this book is packed with meaning. Jane Austen is really amazing.

Anyway, I'd highly recommend this book to anyone who is interested in social commentary where the important action is psychological. It really makes no difference that the book is 200 years old because people are people. So not among my very favourites, but a a good read if you're willing to put in a little effort. But I always found the books that take a little effort to be more rewarding.

View My Gallery
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 03-14-2007, 06:30 PM   #82
Die Cut Diva

Location: In a hostile frozen wasteland...waiting for spring!
Send a message via MSN to Dione

Quote:
Originally Posted by momsnack
I thought this was fascinating!
Nancy

Agreed...I loved "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan" and passed it on to a few of my coworkers and they enjoyed it as well.
I never realized how truly awful footbinding was! I couldn't imagine going through that.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:31 PM   #83
Die Cut Diva

Location: In a hostile frozen wasteland...waiting for spring!
Send a message via MSN to Dione

And right now Im reading "Shopaholic and Baby"...and "Forever in Blue"...yeah Im in a fluff mood right now...though the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants books tend to make me weepy at one point or another!
Old 03-15-2007, 07:52 PM   #84
Stazon Splitcoast

I am reading Wild Sweet Wilderness, by Dorothy Garlock.
I normally am not a reader, but when I find one I like I go
nuts. I've read close to 30 of her books since September.
It's calling me now!!!!!
Old 03-17-2007, 09:29 PM   #85
Watercolor Wizard

Just finished tonight .... "Message in a Bottle" by Nicholas Sparks. WOW!!!! Hope our little library is open tomorrow. I need a NEW book!
Old 03-27-2007, 01:36 PM   #86
Matboard Maniac

Re-reading 2nd book of the LOTR - Two Towers.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:51 PM   #87
Polyshrink Goddess

Location: My personal view of Diamond Head (from my backyard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampingkaren
I laughed out loud when I read this! We read Wicked at our IRL book group at the library in January, and I think most of us hated it. What is the big deal about this book, and who are all these millions of people who paid good money for this book? I wonder if they all saw the musical and then rushed out to buy the book which must be VERY different! That's the only explanation I can come up with.
I agree about Wicked. I didn't read the book until after I saw the musical, which was very loosely based on the book! The musical is awesome, but not the book.

I just finished reading The Soul of a Chef by Micheal Ruhlman and have started his The Reach of a Chef, when not busy reading for my nutrition class this semester. Both are great reads for foodies and those considering a culinary career.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:21 PM   #88
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm reading Scott Hahn's Swear to God, and Mary Poppins. (I've never read the real version and it's not the Disney story). I also have Life on the Rock by Jeff Cavins on my nightstand and a couple of different magazines.
Someone above mentione a "Cat who..." book and I love those. I just finished the newest Laura Child's Teashop and Scrapbooking stories.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:27 PM   #89
Polyshrink Goddess

Meant to say that I wasn't super fond of Wicked either. I finished it, but didn't like some of the pictures that popped up in my head later.
I like Debbie MacComber, too. I just love to read - I read my kids' books all the time. Just finished The Wright 3 also.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:31 PM   #90
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via AIM to buggab0o0

Okay, I am currently almost through From a buick 8 by stephen king... I love his books...

I read all 4 of Dan Brown's novels recently ( Angels and Demons, Davinci code, the one about the super computer and the one about the planted meteor in an ice burg LoL having a brain fart), I also read the last templar recently. not sure what to read when I am done with Buick 8, will have to see what my mom has that she finished reading.
I may finally pick up the harry potter series - seen the movies but havent read the books.... i know big difference and lots left out....
Old 04-01-2007, 07:05 PM   #91
Matboard Maniac

Default reading...

I'm reading "The Four Spirits" by ?? Naslund. She wrote "Ahab's Wife" It looks intriguing. It's set in Alabama during the civil rights movements. I'll let you know what I think, I just started it on Friday. For my book club, I need to read, "The Measure of a Man" by Sidney Poitier, I need to finish it by 4/25.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:09 PM   #92
Matboard Maniac

Smile

That's good to hear because whenever I get recommendations for books, I always run into the Life of Pi, but I tried to start it but I couldn't get into it, but I am going to try again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunnnyb
I recently read The Life of Pi and found that it was a little hard to get into, but once you finally got to the lifeboat with the tiger, I found the story to be very interesting. And I recently reread The Time Traveler's Wife. I LOVE that book. I need to buy a copy for myself sometime. I haven't read The Glass Castle but I've heard that it's good but very sad.

I'm currently trying to read The Sunne in Splendour by Sharon Kay Penman. I'm not very far into it, but I'm one of those people who has never not finished a book. I picked it up at the library because I just finished reading Time & Chance and Here by Dragons (both by Penman) and I really liked them. I'm also rereading the Symphony of Ages series by Elizabeth Haydon, in anticipation of her latest book being available at the library.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:14 PM   #93
Gallery Gazer

Send a message via MSN to StampinChrissylea Send a message via Yahoo to StampinChrissylea

I'm in the middle of 'Conversations with God'.

I read, put it down to meditate on it a few days, pick it back up. It's very profound, but not for everyone.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:47 AM   #94
Mad Swapper

I'm reading Smokescreen by Dick Frances. Just finished one of the Myth books by Robert Asprin. I love the Myth books, they are hilarious!
Old 04-02-2007, 03:01 PM   #95
Mad Swapper

I'm currently reading a biography about Leonardo da Vinci titled Flights of the Mind, by Charles Nicholl. It's fascinating.

Anyone else read biographies?

View My Gallery
Old 04-02-2007, 06:41 PM   #96
Die Cut Diva

Okay so I finally picked up Harry potter and am starting from the beginning.. I picked up book one and 2 at walmart.
another one I would love to pick up again is Night by elie weisel.... that was an awesome semi biographical story- but sad and emotional.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:17 AM   #97
Gabfest Goddess

Finished DIRTY BLONDE by lisa Scottoline over the weekend -- excellent legal thriller! -- and have now started THE DOLLMAKER by Amanda Stevens. Very creepy suspense to be reading during the severe thunderstorms that rolled through last night! *shudder*

Heather

Old 04-04-2007, 05:26 AM   #98
Mad Swapper

I'm thinking about re-reading the last Harry Potter (Half blood prince) before the last book comes out. Just a couple more months!
Old 04-04-2007, 04:42 PM   #99
Glitter Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelini
Well, I finished Mansfield Park, and in the end I thought it was excellent. It really helped that I read it for a class, and we discussed it. As with book clubs, it helps sooooo much to discuss a book with others who have read it. And it helps to read this book slowly.
Mansfield Park isn't my favourite either but I still really enjoyed and I totally agree - Austen needs to be savoured rather than gulped down. My least favourite is Northanger Abbey - and that's probably the easiest read of them all.

I read a lot of kidlit (children's and YA fiction) for professional reasons. I'm currently re-reading her first book the Goose Girl. Her use of language is just stunning. A great read for YA's and adults.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:34 PM   #100
Matboard Maniac

Default bios

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelini
I'm currently reading a biography about Leonardo da Vinci titled Flights of the Mind, by Charles Nicholl. It's fascinating.

Anyone else read biographies?
I have been trying to mix up my reading with nonfiction so I've read a few biographies lately. (or memoirs-autobiographies) I read, "running w/ scissors" and "glass castle" (both read like fiction...) The biography that I recently read is "the match" (a biography of two tennis players, one black & one jewish and how they broke through in a predominantly white sport). I really like them when I start, but I am so addicted to fiction, I have a hard time starting them. I have been trying to read some inspirational books to keep me "inspired." I am currently enjoying "Something More" by Sarah Ban Breathnach.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:19 AM   #101
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggab0o0
Okay so I finally picked up Harry potter and am starting from the beginning.. I picked up book one and 2 at walmart.
another one I would love to pick up again is Night by elie weisel.... that was an awesome semi biographical story- but sad and emotional.
OOh, I remember reading Night when I was in high school for an AP class. What a story. It was remarkable, but probably not something I'll read again. It really hit me pretty hard. For such a tiny book, it packs a punch.

Right now I'm about to start re-reading my Nora Roberts collection. I have nearly all of them and love them because I dont have to work hard to follow along, etc. Plus, it's so nice to "escape" sometimes (even if it is just to a fanciful place).

Has anyone read the Diana Gabaldon series? I got it for Xmas and I haven't even touched it. I am a big reader, so it surprises me that I've had them but not touched them for so long, but for some reason I guess I'm a little intimidated by them. For starters, those books are just HUGE and I've heard many times that they are pretty wordy...so I keep looking at them but choosing something else.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:30 PM   #102
Stazon Splitcoast

I read Night last year, what an amazing book.

I couldn't finish Wicked, awful. I gave it to the bookstore, who commented they get quite a few brand new looking ones.

I'm currently reading several books at one time, which I should do. I have Mormon America and some fluff book that isn't holding my attention either.

I love Nora Roberts and often go back to my favorites.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:17 AM   #103
Rubber Obsessor

Location: locked in my classroom with a bunch of crazy teenagers!!!
Default Diana Gabaldon

"Has anyone read the Diana Gabaldon series? I got it for Xmas and I haven't even touched it. I am a big reader, so it surprises me that I've had them but not touched them for so long, but for some reason I guess I'm a little intimidated by them. For starters, those books are just HUGE and I've heard many times that they are pretty wordy...so I keep looking at them but choosing something else."

Stop procrastinating and start reading!!!!!
This series is AMAZING!! You will love the characters and love the story. One of the books, I think it's Voyager. or something about a voyage, has some stuff that's hard to swallow, but you won't care because you'll be so invested in the story! I've read the entire series and reread first two, plus a few other things Gabaldon has published. LOVE her!!!

Melissa
Old 04-06-2007, 07:22 AM   #104
Insane Embellisher

Thanks Melissa! That's just what I needed to hear. I'm currently starting on the SCS Book Club book, but as soon as I'm finished I'll pick up one of the DG books for sure!

If any of you ladies are interested, check out the book club thread. It's open to everyone so pick up the latest book and join us!
Old 04-06-2007, 07:24 AM   #105
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorothyjane
Has anyone ready anything by Harlan Coben. Thrillers. I read a couple of months ago and loved it. So I went on line to Amazon and bought a bunch in paperback for like 25 cents. Cost more to ship then to buy. Am going to read them slowly though.

I'm currently reading "Back Spin" by Coben. I enjoy his humor mixed with suspense.

What have you read by Coben, dorothyjane?

Stampin' Up! Demonstrator
Old 04-06-2007, 09:35 AM   #106
Gabfest Goddess

Absolutely LOVE the "Outlander" series by Diana Gabaldon. Jamie is a hero to die for, and the books hard to put down once you start reading.

I've also read a lot of Nora Roberts books. She's so prolific it's sometimes hard to keep up. I had the chance to meet her at a conference several years back and she is quite the lady. I've never read her JD Robb books, but she is up for another RITA Award for one she had out last year (they are awarded in July).

Heather

Old 04-08-2007, 05:56 PM   #107
Kookie Creator

Currently reading Edge of Evil by J.A. Jance. She is one of my favorite authors. I recently met her at a book signing. Any Jance fans?

Stampin' Up! Demonstrator
Old 04-10-2007, 05:41 AM   #108
Hardware Hotshot

I'm currently reading, "QBQ- the Question Behind the Question." It's really great and I'm trying to put some of the lessons into practice. Next on the docket, is "It's Not Okay With Me," by Janine Maxwell. She used to be a high profile business lady who totally changed careers after Sept 11. Now she leads teams to Africa to help with orphans and the AIDS crisis.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:01 AM   #109
Stampin' Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisrules
That's good to hear because whenever I get recommendations for books, I always run into the Life of Pi, but I tried to start it but I couldn't get into it, but I am going to try again!
I have tried to read the 'Life of Pi' a few times and just couldn't get into it, I ended up giving it to a friend, very unlike me to give up! I am now re-reading 'The Green Stone' by Graham Phillips and Martin Keatman.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:24 PM   #110
Kookie Creator

currently reading The Queen's Fool by Phillipa Gregory and Arlington Park by Rachel Cusk.
Noddy
Old 04-12-2007, 02:37 AM   #111
Her Royal Awesomeness of Shiner Bock PTA Pirate Land

a boring trial.... (work related)

2013 Scrapping Goal 48 pages
To date 20 completed!

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Old 04-15-2007, 07:38 PM   #112
Embossing Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to DeeDee0265

I am reading The Wedding by Nicholas Sparks at the moment.

I am a huge James Patterson fan!

The soul would have no rainbow, had the eyes no tears.
Old 04-15-2007, 09:26 PM   #113
Mad Swapper

I'm currently reading Franz Kafka's Metamorphosis and Other Stories. Metamorphosis has a great opening line: "One morning, as Gregor Samsa was waking up from anxious dreams, he discovered that in bed he had been changed into a monstrous verminous bug." Yeah, that's a problem.

I'm enjoying Kafka's irreverent attitude.

View My Gallery
Old 04-16-2007, 07:58 PM   #114
Matboard Maniac

Default still reading

I am halfway through "the Measure of a Man" by Sidney Poitier and I am really enjoying it. He is describing his philosophy of life as pertaining to his life. I just gave my friend "The Namesake" and sad that I have already read it.
Old 04-18-2007, 08:14 PM   #115
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef
OOh, I remember reading Night when I was in high school for an AP class. What a story. It was remarkable, but probably not something I'll read again. It really hit me pretty hard. For such a tiny book, it packs a punch.
I completely agree... I read it in High school I think 10th grade honors, there are several books I would love to pick up again that I read when i was in High school. Lord of the flies, To kill a mocking bird, Of mice and Men, so many... I think as a kid when you read them and are kind of forced the true meaning isn't always found... ya know.... you don't enjoy it so much... Like Grapes of Wrath - ugh I could not read that Steinbeck novel...

But Night was one of my favorites, it really had a big punch, was super sad, but Weisel did an awesome job expressing the things he had seen and went through as a child in the Holocaust. I keep trying to get my BIL who is in 10th grade to read it, but he is not so much into some stories ( He drives me nuts sometimes LoL) I mean there are some parts I know I would skim ( If not skip ) over - one in particular I would avoid, but most of it I could handle, again. It was an amazing and heart wrenching story, but so inspirational , that this boy survived the Holocaust, lost everyone he had, and is an amazing person in our culture today ( and not many people truely know who he is ) I know it won several awards as well
Old 04-18-2007, 08:14 PM   #116
Die Cut Diva

I should be reading The Prisoner of Azkaban, but Wal-mart has been out of it for weeks, and I finished Chamber of secrets today.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:24 AM   #117
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggab0o0
I completely agree... I read it in High school I think 10th grade honors, there are several books I would love to pick up again that I read when i was in High school. Lord of the flies, To kill a mocking bird, Of mice and Men, so many... I think as a kid when you read them and are kind of forced the true meaning isn't always found... ya know.... you don't enjoy it so much... Like Grapes of Wrath - ugh I could not read that Steinbeck novel...

I read the Grapes of Wrath and loved it..lol. I also enjoyed East of Eden as well. I have to Kill a Mockingbird, but haven't started it yet.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:29 PM   #118
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDee0265
I read the Grapes of Wrath and loved it..lol. I also enjoyed East of Eden as well. I have to Kill a Mockingbird, but haven't started it yet.
I just couldn't get into it... I mean the story was awesome, but I could not sit and read it... I hated how one chapter about the Joad's was all one thing then it basically retold it self with another family, constantly repeating is what killed me... LoL

I love to Kill a Mockingbird... one of his bests... in my opinion... funny, at times too. I hope you like it when you get to it
Old 04-19-2007, 01:47 PM   #119
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Reading

Light reading is Karen Kingsbury's Firstborn series

I also just checked out from the library today - and I'm drawing a blank on the title - it's the story of Bob Woodruff - the ABC news correspondent who was riding in a Hummer in Iraq covering the war when it got hit by a roadside bomb.

I saw them talk about it on TV when he first came back to work and it seemed interesting.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:11 PM   #120
Embossing Fanatic

I had lost interest in reading 2 years ago when my brother died, and my BF had bought me one of James Patterson's books this past Christmas that I had wanted. So I read it the first week of Jan. After that I made a resolution to read 2 books a month from then on. I am now in the middle of book #9, so I am a little ahead of myself, I'm glad I have gone back to reading!