Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2008, 04:52 PM   #761
Die Cut Diva

Location: In a hostile frozen wasteland...waiting for spring!
Send a message via MSN to Dione

And if you want to see what bound feet look like, here is the wikipedia article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot_binding
Old 09-06-2008, 04:53 PM   #762
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprunning View Post
I just finished A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. It was one of the best books I have read...one that really made me reflect on how fortunate I am.
Is that by the same author that wrote KiteRunner?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 09-06-2008, 04:55 PM   #763
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dione View Post
And if you want to see what bound feet look like, here is the wikipedia article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foot_binding
Ohhh I looked it up when I was reading the book, creepy looking. It made me queasy and I don't get queasy easily.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:58 PM   #764
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
If you liked Snow Flower read Lisa's other book, Peony In Love. I just finished it and it was amazing
I work with a woman (only in her late 40s) who told me her grandmother actually had bound feet, so it's not that far off in history.
Oh wow. Did you read the acknowledgements at the end of the book and how Lisa went to travel to all the places mentioned in the book? There was a woman that she mentioned who was one of the last to read and write NuShu, but I read that she just passed away a few yrs ago.
I will have to keep that book in mind. I have a couple of books on my "to read" list and a few on hold at the library.
Old 09-06-2008, 05:05 PM   #765
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furph's wife View Post
Ohhh I looked it up when I was reading the book, creepy looking. It made me queasy and I don't get queasy easily.
Yeah I had to look it up when I read the book too.
I lent the book to my aunt, and I don't think I read the aknowledgements. When I get it back I will have to. I also didn't get a chance to finish the essay Lisa wrote at the end of Peony in Love, I lent it to a coworker (the one who's grandmother actually had bound feet and I had also lent her Snow Flower); I finished it when I was on the evening shift at work a couple days ago and just had to pass it on to her right away by leaving it in her office with a note inside.
What's on your "to read" list?
Old 09-07-2008, 03:45 PM   #766
Pearl-ExPert

The rules. Great book if you are in the dating arena,
Old 09-07-2008, 04:04 PM   #767
Gabfest Goddess

I'm reading a trashy novel, MARRIED LOVERS, by Jackie Collins.
my blog
Old 09-09-2008, 10:54 AM   #768
Insane Embellisher

Based on the suggestions here, I just finished Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. Wow. I would have never even thought of reading that book if it hadn't been for this thread! Thanks for a great read!
Old 09-09-2008, 11:35 AM   #769
Glitter Guru

Send a message via MSN to slprunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen71 View Post
Based on the suggestions here, I just finished Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. Wow. I would have never even thought of reading that book if it hadn't been for this thread! Thanks for a great read!
If you liked Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, you might also enjoy A Thousand Splendid Sons..but give yourself a fun read inbetween...if you know what I mean.

My Gallery
Old 09-09-2008, 12:10 PM   #770
Kookie Creator

I, too, have started reading Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. It is very interesting so far. My next book will be Possession.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:15 PM   #771
Stampin' Fool

Location: Somewhere in the middle...closer to there, nearer to here...

I just finished The Alienist. Somehow I never read it when it was so hot on the Bestsellers list. It was alright, but I was sort of grossed out at times. Too graphic and it seemed like the author was really getting into the mutilation parts.

I just started The ***** IN the House which is a series of essays by women about marriage, sex, motherhood, work. It's really a good book. I just started it and I'm already half way through. Makes me think...also it's interesting to hear women write about their lives. Pretty cool book.

My 182.5 day Photo Blog
Old 09-10-2008, 11:28 AM   #772
Cardstock Collector

The tiliwght series,the Alex Cross series from James Patterson. I'm also reading the Stephine Plum series.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:50 PM   #773
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprunning View Post
If you liked Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, you might also enjoy A Thousand Splendid Sons..but give yourself a fun read inbetween...if you know what I mean.
Yeah, I'm going to go for something a little lighter and with abosolutely no foot binding!!
Old 09-11-2008, 06:12 AM   #774
Die Cut Diva

My sister goes in for a hip replacement so I'm not sure when I will get the rest of the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evonavich but I did start another book last night that my mom gave me called:

"Bitten" by Kelley Armstrong.

So far it's pretty interesting. It's about a women who is a werewolf and is tryig to live in the 'human' world.

I just checked out her website and I see that she has other books as well. Does anyone know if the other books are a series about "Elena"?
Old 09-11-2008, 07:28 AM   #775
Stazon Splitcoast

I just finished The Various Flavors of Coffee, a novel although it sounds like it's nonfiction, and really enjoyed it. It's about the maturing of a young man and his relationship with a woman he loves over a span of some time and a couple continents.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:54 PM   #776
Die Cut Diva

Started "Pretties" by Scott Westerfeld I bought "Specials" but I think I will save that and read "Blood Letting and Miraculous Cures" which was lent to me by a coworker today.

Today I ordered "The Thirteenth Tale" and "Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress" from Amazon.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:25 PM   #777
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Yeah I had to look it up when I read the book too.
I lent the book to my aunt, and I don't think I read the aknowledgements. When I get it back I will have to. I also didn't get a chance to finish the essay Lisa wrote at the end of Peony in Love, I lent it to a coworker (the one who's grandmother actually had bound feet and I had also lent her Snow Flower); I finished it when I was on the evening shift at work a couple days ago and just had to pass it on to her right away by leaving it in her office with a note inside.
What's on your "to read" list?
Sorry I didn't get back to this thread cause I was entranced in my book. I just finished tonight... Water For Elephants. That was very good there were parts I LOL'd and yelled and the end I just wanted to cheer. Now I am sad I am done with it.
SO my list now has Elegant Gathering of White Snow (on hold at library now), Angela's Ashes, Nineteen Minutes (altho I am not sure what this one is about), My Sister's Keeper and The Other Boleyn Girl (I watched the movie so now I am not sure if I want to read it, even tho I probably should.)

I may have to add the other one you mentioned. I am liking historical fiction lately. Something where I can learn about something somewhere or a time/place without "studying" about it kwim?
Old 09-11-2008, 07:24 PM   #778
Matboard Maniac

I've been doing a lot of reading lately, several very good books that I couldn't put down. "The Boleyn Inheritance" which follows "The Other Boleyn Girl", takes place 3 years later. I enjoyed it, but thought that "The Other Boleyn Girl" was more interesting and had more going on.

I also just finished "The Gypsy Morph" by Terry Brooks. It's the 3rd book in a new trilogy about the origins of Shannara. I highly recommend this trilogy to anyone who's read the "Sword of Shannara" books. I've read every one of Terry Brooks's books and I think they are fantastic.

I'm looking forward to the upcoming release of "Brisingr" (sequel to "Eragon"). It'll be in bookstores right around my birthday, so I'm hoping that someone buys it for me.
Expecting baby #2 Dec. 3, 2011
Old 09-12-2008, 02:47 AM   #779
Pearl-ExPert

Renee, I read the Other Boleyn Girl before renting the movie and am so glad I did. I highly recommend you read the book even if you saw the movie first. It's my opinion that the movie butchered the book, which is so sad to see, of course most movie makers don't care about following the book's plot, look at Janette Oke's series Love Comes Softly the movies are good but don't do the book any justice.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:23 AM   #780
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
SO my list now has Elegant Gathering of White Snow (on hold at library now), Angela's Ashes, Nineteen Minutes (altho I am not sure what this one is about), My Sister's Keeper and The Other Boleyn Girl (I watched the movie so now I am not sure if I want to read it, even tho I probably should.)
I applaud your to-read list! Loved them all. Angela's Ashes was heartbreaking in its descriptions of the poverty that the family lived in, but in parts it was laugh-out-loud funny. DH and I still quote parts of it and laugh. Nineteen Minutes was fabulous, about a high school shooting and the parents of the shooter and a survivor and how they were all linked. My Sister's Keeper was another page-turner. I really like Jodi Picoult's books. The Other Boleyn Girl was very good, and I read one other book by the same author called The Queen's Fool that was very good. I like her attention to historical events. You should try Diana Gabaldon's books too if you like historical fiction. She does exhaustive research for her books, plus there's lots of romance too.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:43 AM   #781
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostamper View Post
I applaud your to-read list! Loved them all. Angela's Ashes was heartbreaking in its descriptions of the poverty that the family lived in, but in parts it was laugh-out-loud funny. DH and I still quote parts of it and laugh. Nineteen Minutes was fabulous, about a high school shooting and the parents of the shooter and a survivor and how they were all linked. My Sister's Keeper was another page-turner. I really like Jodi Picoult's books. The Other Boleyn Girl was very good, and I read one other book by the same author called The Queen's Fool that was very good. I like her attention to historical events. You should try Diana Gabaldon's books too if you like historical fiction. She does exhaustive research for her books, plus there's lots of romance too.
I have the first 2 books in her series, but I'm ashamed to admit I am a little scared to start them. ha ha. They are SOOOO long and I've heard she gets a little wordy, so everytime I pick one up, I end up replacing it with something else....
Old 09-12-2008, 07:37 PM   #782
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
The Other Boleyn Girl (I watched the movie so now I am not sure if I want to read it, even tho I probably should.)
READ THE BOOK! It's 10,000 times better than the movie. I was really, really disappointed with the movie!!
Old 09-13-2008, 07:00 AM   #783
Die Cut Diva

I am reading Duel in the Sun. Its about the 1982 Boston Marathon and the battle between Dick Beardsley and Alberto Salazar, along with excerpts about their life after the run. I love this book.
Old 09-13-2008, 07:54 AM   #784
Kookie Creator

I stopped reading "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan" to start reading my book club book "Possession" as it is a long one. I'm housesitting right now and found a copy of "Twilight" and so have started it as well. Too many choices - not enough reading time.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:00 AM   #785
Matboard Maniac

Send a message via MSN to stampvamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorothyjane View Post
I am reading Double Cross by James Patterson. Another Alex Cross book. Love that man.
Me too!! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Alex Cross series. I have Double Cross but haven't gotten to read it yet. It's next on my list.

Anyone read any David Baldacci books? I read everything by him and have never been disappointed.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:06 AM   #786
Pearl-ExPert

I am now on Bringing up boys by James Dobson.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:26 AM   #787
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef View Post
I have the first 2 books in her series, but I'm ashamed to admit I am a little scared to start them. ha ha. They are SOOOO long and I've heard she gets a little wordy, so everytime I pick one up, I end up replacing it with something else....
Don't be scared, they are well worth the wordiness!! I love that entire series...
Old 09-13-2008, 12:08 PM   #788
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampvamp View Post
Anyone read any David Baldacci books? I read everything by him and have never been disappointed.
Yes, I've read a few of his books and they are very entertaining (would have to check my list to see which ones..yes I do keep a list, otherwise I couldn't keep all the books straight!). And I agree about the Gabaldon books, They're great! You'll forget about the number of pages and get into them very quickly... they're addicting!

I'm about one quarter of the way into The Tenth Gift by Jane Johnson.....it's very good...about a modern day embroideress (is that a word? a woman who embroiders) and one from 1625.....The modern day woman is reading the diary of the other and I think there are going to be some good adventures and romance to come...

The next book on my library list is The Story of Edgar Sawtelle..anyone read that one??

It's a dreary, rainy day here in Minnesota..good day to read or stamp..I've been doing both
Old 09-13-2008, 07:40 PM   #789
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa62 View Post
I'm reading a book by Diane Chamberlain, called The secret Life of Cee Cee Wilkes. extremely good book.

Has anyone ever read any of her books I checked out her name on amazon .com and read a few reviews from some of her other books they sound very interesting. this is the first book I've read from her. Just happened to see at target and had to get it.

Cee Cee works in a small diner as a waitress, falls in love with a college student she's only 16. He finally ask her out, they fall in love ,at least she thinks he's as much in love with her as she is with him. Then one night he ask her to meet him because he has to ask her something.
sHE THINKS AND HOPES IT'S A PROPOSAL. But it turns out to be quite the turnaround. Nows shes in hiding and involved in something she never believed she could ever do. and raising a little girl that not hers.
Now years later, tim is facing the death penalty,and she needs to decide if she should tell the truth that could destroy her family or let an innocent man die. The man who got her into all this.

Very good book so far. This is the description of the book.

I just finished this book as well. I started reading it after I read your post about it. For some reason it just jumped out at me. THis was a very good book. I enjoyed it. I think I will go to the library tomorrow and check out some more of her books.

My Gallery
Old 09-13-2008, 07:58 PM   #790
Die Cut Diva

I just finished "Pretties" by Scott Westerfeld and now I am deciding wether I want to read the last book in the trilogy "Specials" or take a break from the series. Hmmmm....
Old 09-14-2008, 02:17 PM   #791
Die Cut Diva

So I decided to read "Specials"....I just had to find out how the series ends

Today at Costco, I picked up "The World in Six Songs" by Daniel Levitin. He wrote 'This is your Brain on Music', which I have and need to read. One of those books I started and then got caught up in other things. I guess I better start from the beginning
Old 09-15-2008, 05:41 AM   #792
Insane Embellisher

I just started to read Shoot the Moon by Billie Letts. This is the same author who wrote Where the Heart Is. So far it is interesting.
Old 09-15-2008, 06:27 AM   #793
Insane Embellisher

Thanks for the advice on the Gabaldon books, I'll look at them when I finish the series I'm on...

So..I discovered over the weekend that one of my new favorite authors, James Rollins, also writes under the pen-name James Clemens. I started the first in his series of 5 this weekend, and so far I have been very pleased. These books are completely different than the mystery/adventure books written as Rollins, these are more...fantasy, I guess would be the best description. Reminds me of reading the Hobbit series as a kid, about different lands with different types of "people" and a little mystery/adventure/magic thrown in.
Old 09-15-2008, 04:57 PM   #794
Watercolor Wizard

Send a message via AIM to lesliemommy Send a message via MSN to lesliemommy Send a message via Yahoo to lesliemommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by karahood View Post
I just started Seize the Night by Sherrilyn Kenyon... I realize that she has several in the "Dark Hunter" series? Do these have to be read in order???
No, but they make a bit more sense. KWIM? You can figure things out, just not why some people "are" why they are.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:05 PM   #795
Watercolor Wizard

Send a message via AIM to lesliemommy Send a message via MSN to lesliemommy Send a message via Yahoo to lesliemommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef View Post
Now I have another question for you...do the books need to be read in order or can they be read as I get them? I realize it's a series, but I was just wondering if each book stands on its own. The reason I'm asking, thanks to some great enabling on this very thread *ha ha*, I have a Kindle that I absolutely LOVE but I looked last night and the Kindle has all but a few of the titles available. I'm going to check my library for the missing ones, but I was just wondering if I should even attempt the series if I can't find them all....
you can read them as you get them. It will just be easier to follow "characters" if you read them in order. There are a bunch of bookstores that carry them/the whole series. Barnes and Noble are great about having them all. Check out the website for Sherrilyn Kenyon and it will be more fun for your reading pleasure. There are bios on the characters and pics (very yummy)!!

Let me tell you, I am the "GO TO GIRL" for Dark Hunter fun!!
Old 09-16-2008, 01:53 AM   #796
Die Cut Diva

I adore Kenyon's books, and have read the entire series thus far. Also, for the lady who's reading "Bitten", enjoy it! I loved that book, and I hope there are more coming after it.
I admit to being a bit hooked on paranormal and vamp stories....lol! Andi
Old 09-16-2008, 04:10 AM   #797
Pearl-ExPert

I finished Forever Amber and am now on Bringing Up Boys and Anna Karina (sp?) by Tolstoy
Old 09-16-2008, 04:32 AM   #798
Glitter Queen

Hi, I'm halfway through Janet Evanovich's "Fearless Fourteen" and it's so funny, yet a thriller for me. Good reading. I just love her.
Teresa Bryant
lilacs75
Old 09-16-2008, 05:50 AM   #799
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8tnurs View Post
I adore Kenyon's books, and have read the entire series thus far. Also, for the lady who's reading "Bitten", enjoy it! I loved that book, and I hope there are more coming after it.
I admit to being a bit hooked on paranormal and vamp stories....lol! Andi
I finished it on Sunday night.

She has other books in the series which according to her website wasn't supposed to be a series. So she wrote the others in other character's point of views. She goes back to "Elena" (I am in love with that name right now) in "Stolen" then "Broken" with a few inbetween.

I will have to do some digging at the library to get them.
Old 09-16-2008, 05:53 AM   #800
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilacs75 View Post
Hi, I'm halfway through Janet Evanovich's "Fearless Fourteen" and it's so funny, yet a thriller for me. Good reading. I just love her.
Teresa Bryant
lilacs75
I LOVE her books.

I went back and started reading at one again. Those are those books that my DH says I can't read in bed anymore because I laugh too much and he can't sleep. WHATEVER.