Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-16-2007, 08:30 AM   #41
Mad Swapper

Location: Indiana, Oh Indiana. Indiana, we're all for you! IU!
Send a message via AIM to hoosierstamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sairabee
Oh Honey... I wish you'd emailed me before you started that one. LOL. I read it. It was painful. I soooo wanted to love it, but I couldn't. A book that size would normally have taken me (before child ) maybe a week to read. That one took me three months. I just couldn't get into it, and found it to be dull as can be until the last 100 or so pages, and even then it was only sub par.

I had a whole thread about my ordeal. If you search this forum for threads with Wicked in the title you'll see it. But there might be spoilers in it so proceed with caution!

To the OP... I'm trying to read Gone with the Wind. I've only gotten about 20 pages (out of 1000 some) into it, but can't seem to find the time now that I'm in class again and reading so many business articles for that.
Oh, great. Just great. This book was loaned to me by my MIL and came with rave reviews. We don't share all of the same opinions about books so it's likely if you didn't like this, I won't either. I think I'll just keep putting it off and then return it and tell her I just wanted to give it back before I lost it. I just have no desire to start a book that isn't good. You know? Thanks SO much for the warning.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 02-16-2007, 02:02 PM   #42
Stampin' Fool

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softangelkisses
The only thing I am reading now is my Daily Guidposts book! I figure that with Abby coming I didn't want to be trying to keep up with a book and having to constantly re read the pages because of forgetting what I had read!!

I do recommend the Daily Guidposts to anyone looking for some good inspirational reading!
I love those! Haven't gotten any to read in a couple of years. Used to get them from our church, but they've cut back on spending, so I guess the books aren't in the budget!
Old 02-18-2007, 06:07 AM   #43
Gabfest Goddess

I just started Running with Scissors for my book group. Hard to believe it's a true story.
my blog
Old 02-18-2007, 02:55 PM   #44
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Mom Sue
Just finished A Girl Named Skippy by Haven Kimmel about a girl growing up in the 70's in Indiana. It was pretty good. Also finished The Five People You meet In Heaven by Mitch Albom. I was disappointed - thought I would like it better. I'm waiting for holds at the library on The Life of Pi, The Glass Castle and The Time Travelers Wife. Hope they will be good!

I loved Zippy! Also great is the sequel, "She Got Up Off The Couch," about when her mother literally changes her life by going back to school. Really inspirational but also sad.

Life of Pi, The Glass Castle and The Time Traveller's Wife are all amazing. Excellent for book groups as well. Happy reading!

"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." -- Louisa May Alcott
http://gallery.splitcoaststampers.co...0&ppuser=15375
Old 02-18-2007, 02:59 PM   #45
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelini
Sigh. Yes. I'm reading it for a course that I'm taking. I wish they'd chosen one of her other books. Oh well.
That's one I haven't read yet -- I loved the movie but I've heard it's not very faithful to the book. I did read Persuasion recently and loved it.

Old 02-18-2007, 03:00 PM   #46
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm reading (finally) A Tale of Two Cities by Dickens. It's been a must-read forever. Lately I'm really trying to read more classics. Last week I finished To Kill a Mockingbird which I had not read since high school more than twenty years ago. It was so wonderful, I had no idea I would like it so much more as an adult than as a teenager. Wonderful and inspirational, I highly recommend it.

Old 02-18-2007, 07:15 PM   #47
Die Cut Diva

I just finished Between Friends by Debbie Macomber. It was excellent. With her it is a mixed bag, some are okay, some I love. Two others of hers I loved were The Shop on Blossom Street and its sequel A Good Yarn.

Now I am reading A Moment of Weakness by Karen Kingsbury. Another excellent book. I was in tears not even half way through.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:20 AM   #48
Rubber Obsessor

I had to study Mansfield Park as a set text at college and it's so dull compared to Austen's other books!

I'm currently reading Perfect Day by Imogen Parker - chick lit recommended to me by my Mum but I am struggling to get into it at the moment. I needed something 'soft and fluffy' because the book I just finished was really disturbing: Ugly by Constance Briscoe. It's the basically the autobiography of a girl who was abused by her mother during the 70s so it's pretty harrowing stuff but I would recommend it.

Time Travellers Wife was the best book I read last year and I also really enjoyed The Five People You Meet in Heaven and want to read Mitch Albom's other book now.
Old 02-19-2007, 11:38 AM   #49
Mad Swapper

Location: Indiana, Oh Indiana. Indiana, we're all for you! IU!
Send a message via AIM to hoosierstamper

I'm reading the newest James Patterson book in the Alex Cross series, "Cross." It's excellent!
Old 02-20-2007, 08:42 AM   #50
Mad Swapper

I'm reading London Bridge by James Patterson, another Alex Cross book. Guess he's popular. lol
Old 02-22-2007, 05:47 PM   #51
Sawyer's Texas LOSTie

Nothing. I have a pretty serious head injury and reading anything more than posts on SCS frustrates me. Before the head injury I was reading "Their Eyes were Watching God" by Zora Neale Hurston and my rhetoric textbooks. Of all the things I can't do right now, I miss reading the most.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:38 AM   #52
Gabfest Goddess

Finally finished CAROLINA MOON last night -- had the hardest time getting into this one, until about halfway through. Have now grabbed THE NO. 1 LADIES' DETECTIVE AGENCY by Alexander McCall Smith from atop of the TBR pile. With the weather we have moving in, looks like it will be a good weekend for reading and stamping.

Heather

Old 02-23-2007, 11:53 AM   #53
Polyshrink Goddess

I just started reading Perfect Match by Jodi Picoult. I am hooked on her books after reading My Sister's Keeper and The Pact! Some people say her writing is too depressing, but it doesn't seem to bother me. I think I'm just going to work my way down her list of books!

My Gallery...

Dear Lord, Please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.
(One of my favorite sentiments from River City Rubber Works!)
Old 02-23-2007, 07:56 PM   #54
Compulsive Stamper

Love Jodi Picoult! I read My Sister's Keeper, The Pact, Harvesting the Heart, and am currently reading Perfect Match. I also started with My Sister's Keeper and now I'm hooked on this author.

I have also read Tending Roses, The Secret Life of Bees, Me and Emma, Letters for Emily, and How to Be Lost.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:07 PM   #55
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanna106
The Glass Castle was very good--a true story. The author of the book is a columnist for MSNBC news. It was great to see how people can overcome such adversities but I was very sad and angry throughout the book.
ITA! I felt the same way when reading the book, but was so glad for the happy ending. My dh doesn't understand how I can stand to read stories about abuse/neglect. I just can't help myself because I love it when people don't let their past get in the way of their dreams. That girl showed such strength in overcoming her childhood and wacky parents. (same as in Angela's Ashes or A Child Called It). Heartwrenching, yes but also very motivating and uplifting.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:12 PM   #56
Hardware Hotshot

Right now, I am reading an incredible book called the Power Of One by Bryce Courtenay. It was recommended by a poster on this board and I love it! I can't put it down. I was kind of hesitant at first because I thought it was only about boxing. But it is so much more than a boxing story. They just really got into the boxing and I am halfway through the book. This book is amazing! Here's the description from Amazon.com:

Set in a world torn apart, where man enslaves his fellow man and freedom remains elusive, THE POWER OF ONE is the moving story of one young man's search for the love that binds friends, the passion that binds lovers, and the realization that it takes only one to change the world. A weak and friendless boy growing up in South Africa during World War II, Peekay turns to two older men, one black and one white, to show him how to find the courage to dream, to succeed, to triumph over a world when all seems lost, and to inspire him to summon up the most irrersistible force of all: the Power of One.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:25 PM   #57
Matboard Maniac

I just started Princess: A True story of life behind the veil in Saudi Arabia by Jean Sasson. I can't put it down, I highly recommend it.

Mom to Sam 2004 and Ella Grace 2007
Old 02-25-2007, 08:21 AM   #58
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcolt
Nothing. I have a pretty serious head injury and reading anything more than posts on SCS frustrates me. Before the head injury I was reading "Their Eyes were Watching God" by Zora Neale Hurston and my rhetoric textbooks. Of all the things I can't do right now, I miss reading the most.
Oh, that's just awful! Absolute torture! For me the only good thing about being sick is if I can lounge around all day and read. I know I'm really sick when I can't read. I hope you're better soon and back to your books!

View My Gallery
Old 02-26-2007, 07:25 PM   #59
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sma499
It's part of a series about a homicide detective in San Francisco. I read these kind of books a lot, but I often catch myself thinking, why am I reading about such horrible things?
I know what you mean. I myself am a big fan of medical thrillers. Right now I'm reading The Face of Deception by Iris Johansen. Its the first in a series where the main character is a forensic sculptor. I have waiting in the wings The Apprentice by Tess Gerritsen, the sequel to The Surgeon. After that I'm thinking about picking up a couple of the classics that I haven't read or maybe another by Karen Kingsbury. I read One Tuesday Morning and it's sequel and loved them, so I'm really wanting to read more of her. I know...quite the departure from the medical thrillers, but I want to give it a try. Oh, and I'm also working on Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul.
Old 02-28-2007, 04:32 AM   #60
Insane Embellisher

I am just starting to read Motor Mouth by Janet Evanovich. Love her stuff!
Old 02-28-2007, 05:21 AM   #61
Glitter Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplewinkle
I just finished Between Friends by Debbie Macomber. It was excellent. With her it is a mixed bag, some are okay, some I love. Two others of hers I loved were The Shop on Blossom Street and its sequel A Good Yarn.

Now I am reading A Moment of Weakness by Karen Kingsbury. Another excellent book. I was in tears not even half way through.
I am fixing to read my first Debbie Macomber "Country Brides" I have been on a reading hiatus due to going back to school. I had no time to read. Now I am anxious to curl up with a great book. I have never rea Macomber but I have a really good friend that NEVER read a book in 50 yrs and she got a Debbie Macomber about a yarn shop and she couldnt put it down. She is now a reader ! THat says alot about an author. I aslo really like Kingsbury . I also really like Janet Evanovich she is probably my fave.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:12 AM   #62
Crimping Master

I just finished the Memory Keepers Daughter...couldn't put it down! Was totally amazed by the story...very different from what I normally read. I really enjoyed it and would recommend it to others!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-01-2007, 07:52 AM   #63
Mad Swapper

Finished London Bridges and started Eragon.

My Dad has never been a reader. My Mom always did and I know that's where a big part of my love of reading comes from. But my Dad has now read all of the Harry Potter books, Eragon and is almost done with the Eragon sequel Eldest. The other night my Mom and I were watching TV and he was reading. I started looking out the window and my Mom asked, "what are you looking at?" I told her I was looking for flying pigs cause this just wasn't right. lol
Old 03-01-2007, 09:47 AM   #64
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by simvan
I just finished the Memory Keepers Daughter...couldn't put it down! Was totally amazed by the story...very different from what I normally read. I really enjoyed it and would recommend it to others!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Read Memory Keeper's Daughter last fall for one of my book clubs, and recommended it to read this year for 2nd book club - Thought it was excellent - really made you think - what would you have done under the same circumstances??
Nancy
Old 03-01-2007, 09:49 AM   #65
Rubber Obsessor

Just finished The Glass Castle (memoir) by Jeannette Walls - would highly recommend it also.
Nancy
Old 03-01-2007, 12:12 PM   #66
Rubber Obsessor

This thread is so interesting! I too am a loather of Wicked. Have finally finished collecting The Little Colonel series of books which my mother loved as a child, and she's mad at my cousin for keeping all of hers, but this is not a thread for family weirdness! Decided I should read them in order so I declared February to be Little Colonel month, except that now it's March and I still have 2 and a half to go. So right now I am reading Mary Ware:The Little Colonel's Chum by Annie Fellows Johnston
Old 03-02-2007, 03:59 AM   #67
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by laureltree
This thread is so interesting! I too am a loather of Wicked. . . .
I laughed out loud when I read this! We read Wicked at our IRL book group at the library in January, and I think most of us hated it. What is the big deal about this book, and who are all these millions of people who paid good money for this book? I wonder if they all saw the musical and then rushed out to buy the book which must be VERY different! That's the only explanation I can come up with.

And I really thought The Memory Keeper's Daughter was disappointing, very mediocre. I thought the beginning was good but it just sort of faded. Can't believe this is on the best-seller list.

I finished A Tale of Two Cities this week, wonderful once I got used to the writing style, and now I'm listening to Pride and Prejudice on audio in the car -- I think I've read it four times, can't count how many times I've watched the movies. Next up is the Handmaid's Tale.

Old 03-02-2007, 04:23 AM   #68
Stazon Splitcoast

I just started Beth Moore's GET OUT OF THE PIT! Love her stuff.

The joy of the LORD is my strength.

Right Brain Madness --My blog
Proud member of the redDivas
KSS certified multi-step stamper
Fan Club member since 2004
Old 03-05-2007, 04:18 PM   #69
Crimping Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by momsnack
Read Memory Keeper's Daughter last fall for one of my book clubs, and recommended it to read this year for 2nd book club - Thought it was excellent - really made you think - what would you have done under the same circumstances??
Nancy

You are so right...it really does touch your morals and values and the difficulty of making that decision.

Definitely a must read...can't forget it.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:57 PM   #70
Pearl-ExPert

Catherine Coulters Point Blank... i love her FBI thrillers
Old 03-08-2007, 09:22 AM   #71
Rubber Obsessor

Okay, finished the Little Colonel series!
Am now reading The Tale of Cuckoo Brow Wood by Susan Wittig Albert - love her China Bayles series, and am enjoying this new mystery series featuring Beatrix Potter.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:31 AM   #72
Hardware Hotshot

I am reading The Kite Runner. It was recommended to me from someone here. I just finished a heart wrenching part of the novel and I sure hope something happy happens eventually. It is very sad.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:57 PM   #73
Embossing Fanatic

Default Jodie Piccoult

I fell in love with her writing after reading My Sister's Keeper. I got several of her books for Christmas. She dares to write about subjects that most people won't even talk about! I love her books. Perfect Match was my favorite. I finished it a couple of weeks ago. Just in time to pick up 19 Minutes (her newest that came out on Tuesday) about Patrick. What a great character. She is such a great author - I tell everyone I know that reads to give her books a try!
Old 03-08-2007, 06:58 PM   #74
Embossing Fanatic

Default UGH!

Jodi, not Jodie. Too late to be typing!
Old 03-09-2007, 06:11 PM   #75
Stazon Splitcoast

Oooo.. glad I found you all! Memory Keeper's Daughter, Time Traveler's Wife, and Kite Runner were some of my favorite books. I recently read The Thrall's Tale and wasn't crazy about it at all. I have Snow Flower and the Secret Fan that i want to get into soon.
Old 03-09-2007, 06:15 PM   #76
Stazon Splitcoast

On the lighter side, I too have enjoyed Jodi P's books and love the mysteries by Suan Wittag Albert, but I'm not fond of Debbie Macomber's stuff.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:26 PM   #77
Rubber Obsessor

Default Snow Flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobkitten
I have Snow Flower and the Secret Fan that i want to get into soon.
I thought this was fascinating!
Nancy
Old 03-10-2007, 12:20 PM   #78
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm reading " The Last Templar" It's very DaVinci Code but very good and has a great moral dilemma.

Sharon
Old 03-10-2007, 02:53 PM   #79
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via Skype™ to dorothyjane
Default Harlan Coben

Has anyone ready anything by Harlan Coben. Thrillers. I read a couple of months ago and loved it. So I went on line to Amazon and bought a bunch in paperback for like 25 cents. Cost more to ship then to buy. Am going to read them slowly though.

I have been wanting to read the Memory Keeper's Daughter. Glad to hear all the good reviews about that.

How can you not love Jodi Picoult. My favorite - My Sister's Keeper. I must have talked about that book for weeks to anyone who would listen.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:06 AM   #80
Watercolor Wizard

I'm reading The Painted Veil and I am finding it to be rather slow! I am more than two thirds the way through and I'm thinking that it isn't going to get any better!