Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-25-2008, 11:34 AM   #721
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by tashast View Post
I'm right there with ya! I bought the first 2 books in paperback thinking I would order the 3rd from the library. Ummm, nope! The library had a wait of about 125 ppl. I could not wait that long! So now I have two in paperback & 2 in hardcover. I actually am pulling out Eclipse at stoplights to read a page or two. Don't tell my local PD.
He he, I'm glad I'm not the only one! I pulled Breaking Dawn out when I was washing dishes...put it on the counter next to the sink...and would get a few pages in! These books are SO addicting - definitely a series you can't put down!
Old 08-25-2008, 03:24 PM   #722
Die Cut Diva

Location: In a hostile frozen wasteland...waiting for spring!
Send a message via MSN to Dione

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonstamps View Post
Just finished, "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan." It's a really great book about two girls in rural China during the foot binding era.

I just started "Mountain Beyond Mountian" about a doctor who goes to poor countries to help them.
Loved Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. It was difficult to read about the foot binding...I had no idea what it was really all about til I read that book. I thought they just wrapped the feet up tight to keep them small...
Old 08-25-2008, 03:25 PM   #723
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by tashast View Post
I am currently reading Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer. I got sucked into the other two book and decided to keep on going!
I'm reading this one right now too...so far I am liking it much better than the second book. I wanted to slap Bella so bad in the second and tell her to snap out of it LOL:O)
Old 08-25-2008, 06:56 PM   #724
Watercolor Wizard

Send a message via AIM to lesliemommy Send a message via MSN to lesliemommy Send a message via Yahoo to lesliemommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef View Post
Have you read the other books in this set? I thought about starting them, but it's a pretty long list so I decided to wait. Are they good as well?

YES!!!! I have read and own them all. We even went to tthe book signing and met the author when Acheron came out.

Go to the web site adn make sure you read them in order, they make so much more sense.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 08-26-2008, 05:27 AM   #725
Polyshrink Goddess

okay, after 5 long weeks, I just finished Lottery by Patricia Wood...hmmm, I had a really hard time with this book. I thought it was tough to read because it was written in the main character's voice and it bothered me after a while. If you read it you probably know what I mean. I thought all in all it was a nice story though. I have my Breaking Dawn book ready to go for tonight..I can't wait!

Mom to 4...Sean (11-00), Kevin and Patrick (3-02) and Meghan (2-05) and still time to STAMP (in my sleep! LOL)

Old 08-26-2008, 05:55 AM   #726
Polyshrink Goddess

Question

Quote:
Have you read the other books in this set? I thought about starting them, but it's a pretty long list so I decided to wait. Are they good as well?
I had the same question. They look kind of bodice-ripper romancy; not my usual style, but if there are vampires and such involved, I might check them out.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:56 AM   #727
Polyshrink Goddess

I know there are some James Rollins fans on this thread (that's how I discovered him in the first place)... Just finished "The Last Oracle," his latest in the Sigma Force books. Another great story! I love how these outlandish-sounding scientific adventures are actually based in fact.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:32 AM   #728
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostamper View Post
I know there are some James Rollins fans on this thread (that's how I discovered him in the first place)... Just finished "The Last Oracle," his latest in the Sigma Force books. Another great story! I love how these outlandish-sounding scientific adventures are actually based in fact.
I just read that one not long ago, as well. Thumbs up from me too! I also love the way he weaves this amazing story and you think "great tale, but can't be real" but at the very end when he reveals all of the scientific and historical facts, it never fails to amaze me. If you haven't read his non-Sigma books, they are very good as well.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:58 AM   #729
Glitter Guru

I'm reading a book by Diane Chamberlain, called The secret Life of Cee Cee Wilkes. extremely good book.

Has anyone ever read any of her books I checked out her name on amazon .com and read a few reviews from some of her other books they sound very interesting. this is the first book I've read from her. Just happened to see at target and had to get it.

Cee Cee works in a small diner as a waitress, falls in love with a college student she's only 16. He finally ask her out, they fall in love ,at least she thinks he's as much in love with her as she is with him. Then one night he ask her to meet him because he has to ask her something.
sHE THINKS AND HOPES IT'S A PROPOSAL. But it turns out to be quite the turnaround. Nows shes in hiding and involved in something she never believed she could ever do. and raising a little girl that not hers.
Now years later, tim is facing the death penalty,and she needs to decide if she should tell the truth that could destroy her family or let an innocent man die. The man who got her into all this.

Very good book so far. This is the description of the book.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:27 AM   #730
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dione View Post
I'm reading this one right now too...so far I am liking it much better than the second book. I wanted to slap Bella so bad in the second and tell her to snap out of it LOL:O)
Me too!! I will admit that I enjoy the books but sometime Bella drives me up the wall. I keep reminding myself that she is only 17-18yrs old. I'm sure I was same way (well, maybe not that bad) when I was that age.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:17 PM   #731
Kookie Creator

Default anyone else read this?

I'm reading The Shack for bookclub. I'm trying to decide if it's too contrived or not......what do you'all think?

Noddy
Old 08-27-2008, 09:29 PM   #732
Gabfest Goddess

I'm currently reading SINISTER SUDOKU by Kaye Morgan, the third in a Berkley mystery series. I've never been into Sudoku, but have enjoyed these books. For more of what I've been reading the past month, see today's blog post (link in siggy).

Heather

Old 08-28-2008, 09:07 AM   #733
Die Cut Diva

I am still on the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evonavich. I've read 1-4 plus two "In-between" novels.

I'll start number 5 today.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:24 PM   #734
Glitter Guru

I just read Ten Thousand Charms by Allison Pittman. Have now started Speak Through The Wind by Allison Pittman. Ten Thousand Charms is a lot on the same order as Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. I loved both of them. I hadn't heard of Allison before, but saw themn in the library Wednesday so thought I'd give them a try. Glad I did.
Proud to be a fan club member. #67069
Old 08-29-2008, 12:53 PM   #735
Quacker Stamper

I'm just finishing up A Thousand Splendid Suns. I was all prepared not to like it because people were telling me how sad it was. And it is, but I think I really enjoyed reading it anyway. Gave me some background into life in Afghanistan before the Taliban and the way things were/are under their rule.
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Blog: http://maggiescathouse.blogspot.com/
Old 09-01-2008, 08:21 AM   #736
Rubber Obsessor

I've just started reading Remind me Again Why I Need a Man by Claudia Carroll, and so far I'm not really liking it. But the last book I read, Attack of the Unsinkable Rubber Ducks (can't remember the author), I didn't really like at first and ended up loving it. I hope this one goes the same.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:59 AM   #737
Matboard Maniac

Send a message via MSN to stampvamp

Quote:

I just started and finished Twilight over the weekend. I can't even put it into words. Everyone is "scaring" me about New Moon!!! lol!!! I'm getting the rest of the series and will read them immediately. The story is amazing!! I've already downloaded the music playlist, signed up for Twilightmoms.com, read all the outtakes for Twilight, changed my myspace layout to Twilight, and started reading Midnight Sun (legally). Obsessed, much? Yeah, I think so.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:12 AM   #738
Glitter Guru

everything by Augusten Burrows-Sellivision was great! And just finished The Four Agreements by Don Miguel Ruiz-very life affirming if you can get thru the first 26 pages!
Old 09-01-2008, 11:58 AM   #739
Kookie Creator

I started "Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas" today.
Old 09-01-2008, 06:12 PM   #740
Die Cut Diva

Tonight I started "Peony In Love" by Lisa See. I finished "Eclipse" and I have Breaking Dawn but I decided I needed a breather from the vampires Besides it will give me something to look forward to later. I needed something completely different from what I have been reading lately.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:38 AM   #741
Creative Crew SU Design Team

I just started reading the book The Never-Ending Story by Michael Ende. Picked it up at a used book store several months ago. It's been *ages* since I watched the movie, I'd forgotten about things like the racing snail It's been interesting so far, I'll have to borrow the movies from my friend Amber when she gets them in from Amazon. I just got her hooked on the Twilight series, hehehe!

Support the CreativeCrew! Join in some fun monthly challenges HERE

2014 Scrapbooking goal: 100 Pages; 72 Done
Old 09-03-2008, 06:24 PM   #742
Watercolor Wizard

Send a message via AIM to lesliemommy Send a message via MSN to lesliemommy Send a message via Yahoo to lesliemommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostamper View Post
I had the same question. They look kind of bodice-ripper romancy; not my usual style, but if there are vampires and such involved, I might check them out.
LOL, no they are not really like that. There is romance but it is with the action packed vampire fun!
Old 09-03-2008, 06:27 PM   #743
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Loved Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. It was difficult to read about the foot binding...I had no idea what it was really all about til I read that book. I thought they just wrapped the feet up tight to keep them small...

Me too.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:29 PM   #744
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschoener View Post
I'm just finishing up A Thousand Splendid Suns. I was all prepared not to like it because people were telling me how sad it was. And it is, but I think I really enjoyed reading it anyway. Gave me some background into life in Afghanistan before the Taliban and the way things were/are under their rule.

I thought the book was extremly well written! I actually shed tears at some parts and made me feel so bad for the characters.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:33 PM   #745
Hardware Hotshot

I finished, "The Memory Keeper's Daughter." At first I didn't like it, but it really was well written and the ending surprised me.

I am now reading, "The History of Love." It is excellent.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:47 PM   #746
Compulsive Stamper

Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (the first one)
Old 09-04-2008, 02:45 AM   #747
Glitter Guru

I'm reading Ice Trap right now.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:07 AM   #748
Pearl-ExPert

I am still on Forever Amber but over half way done, I will be sad to have leave Amber.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:35 AM   #749
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliemommy View Post
LOL, no they are not really like that. There is romance but it is with the action packed vampire fun!
Now I have another question for you...do the books need to be read in order or can they be read as I get them? I realize it's a series, but I was just wondering if each book stands on its own. The reason I'm asking, thanks to some great enabling on this very thread *ha ha*, I have a Kindle that I absolutely LOVE but I looked last night and the Kindle has all but a few of the titles available. I'm going to check my library for the missing ones, but I was just wondering if I should even attempt the series if I can't find them all....
Old 09-04-2008, 08:30 AM   #750
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Tonight I started "Peony In Love" by Lisa See. I finished "Eclipse" and I have Breaking Dawn but I decided I needed a breather from the vampires Besides it will give me something to look forward to later. I needed something completely different from what I have been reading lately.
Quoting myself LOL. Anyways I am about three quarters of the way through this book and I am really enjoying it It's really kind of sad and romantic with a little bit of creepiness thrown in. It's a bit of a downer but really absorbing. I keep reading and reading. Most of the book takes place after Peony dies (I'm not spoiling the story by telling you this because it's in the synopsis), and her experiences in the afterlife. Not the typical "christian" view of the afterlife; it's all about the Chinese view of the afterlife.
And after all these dark books I've been reading lately I need something upbeat and sunny
Old 09-04-2008, 09:36 AM   #751
Quacker Stamper

Quote:
Now I have another question for you...do the books need to be read in order or can they be read as I get them? I realize it's a series, but I was just wondering if each book stands on its own. The reason I'm asking, thanks to some great enabling on this very thread *ha ha*, I have a Kindle that I absolutely LOVE but I looked last night and the Kindle has all but a few of the titles available. I'm going to check my library for the missing ones, but I was just wondering if I should even attempt the series if I can't find them all....
If you're talking Twilight series, then no, you can't read them out of sequence. You'll get all mixed up and find out stuff that you shouldn't know yet. It's an on-going story.
One Stitch at a Time
Creative Card Crew
Creative Knockouts
Blog: http://maggiescathouse.blogspot.com/
Old 09-04-2008, 11:33 AM   #752
Compulsive Stamper

Send a message via Yahoo to karahood

I just started Seize the Night by Sherrilyn Kenyon... I realize that she has several in the "Dark Hunter" series? Do these have to be read in order???
Old 09-04-2008, 12:03 PM   #753
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschoener View Post
If you're talking Twilight series, then no, you can't read them out of sequence. You'll get all mixed up and find out stuff that you shouldn't know yet. It's an on-going story.
LOL. I was actually talking about the Dark Hunter series, but I'm glad to know this about the Twilight series, as I may start that sometime in the future...thanks!
Old 09-05-2008, 01:56 AM   #754
Die Cut Diva

Dark Hunter series books should probably be read in order also, mainly because the characters are developed and continued throughout the following books. The same goes for anyone reading the "True Blood" series starring Sookie Stackhouse. I'm curious as to how that tv show will pan out this coming Sunday night.
I just finished Blood Noir by Hamilton and didn't much like it. Took too long to get into the actual meat of the story....
PS: I have a few vampire themed ATC's in my gallery! Andi
Old 09-05-2008, 09:20 AM   #755
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8tnurs View Post
Dark Hunter series books should probably be read in order also, mainly because the characters are developed and continued throughout the following books. The same goes for anyone reading the "True Blood" series starring Sookie Stackhouse. I'm curious as to how that tv show will pan out this coming Sunday night.
I just finished Blood Noir by Hamilton and didn't much like it. Took too long to get into the actual meat of the story....
PS: I have a few vampire themed ATC's in my gallery! Andi
Thanks for the additional info about the Dark Hunter series.

I had the same problem with a few of the Hamilton stories and finally quit reading them. I may pick them up again sometime in the future.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:53 PM   #756
Die Cut Diva

I'm reading "Uglies" by Scott Westerfeld. I started it a long time ago but put it away for some reason. I'm starting over from the beginning
Old 09-06-2008, 03:45 PM   #757
Proud Fan Club Member

I'm reading Kathy Reichs new book "Devil Bones." Temperance is back in North Carolina.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:43 PM   #758
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
I just finished reading Snow FLower also and had a hard time getting past the foot binding thing too. i had heard of foot binding, but never really knew what it was and all involved, how tortorous and awful it must have been. I can't imagine feet that have been bound being something beautiful.
Old 09-06-2008, 04:44 PM   #759
Hardware Hotshot

I just started Water For Elephants
Old 09-06-2008, 04:49 PM   #760
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furph's wife View Post
I just finished reading Snow FLower also and had a hard time getting past the foot binding thing too. i had heard of foot binding, but never really knew what it was and all involved, how tortorous and awful it must have been. I can't imagine feet that have been bound being something beautiful.
If you liked Snow Flower read Lisa's other book, Peony In Love. I just finished it and it was amazing
I work with a woman (only in her late 40s) who told me her grandmother actually had bound feet, so it's not that far off in history.