Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-27-2008, 07:02 AM   #681
Crimping Master

OK, I just finished "Atonement" and I have to say that I hated this book! All the characters were so unlikeable, and then the ending just made me angry. I wanted some closure!! Anyone else feel that way?
Old 07-28-2008, 01:11 PM   #682
Pearl-ExPert

Location: Somewhere in the middle...closer to there, nearer to here...

I haven't read that one yet although it is on my list of "To Read" (maybe I should move it down the list...it's a rather long list). I'm currently reading Driving Mr. Albert (this is nonfiction about the road trip that Albert Einstein's brain, a journalist, and the pathologist who kidnapped Einstein's brain took across the country). It was a best seller and I've been on an Einstein kick (reading all these books about the man, his wife, and his children that are not necessarily complimentary of the great man).

I just finished Dixie Land Sushi. Total fluff, but lots of fun. My children are half-Asian and we live in the South so I found a lot to laugh about in the book.

My 182.5 day Photo Blog
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-30-2008, 07:28 AM   #683
Die Cut Diva

Finished "The Sweet Potato Queens' 1st Big-*** Novel: Stuff We Didn't Actually Do, but Could Have, and May Yet"

It was cute and I may try to get someother ones, but not at this point.

I did start "Lean mean Thirteen" by Janet Evonavich last night and I have about half left. I will be so sad when this series is done.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:38 PM   #684
Gallery Gazer

Send a message via AIM to stamperjules

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostamper View Post
OK, I just finished "Atonement" and I have to say that I hated this book! All the characters were so unlikeable, and then the ending just made me angry. I wanted some closure!! Anyone else feel that way?
I liked the book, although I wasn't sure I'd ever make it through... it's very rich in detail. I do think that the characters weren't entirely likeable, which may have been why I felt disappointed at not being sucked into that world as I have with other books. I mean, usually I get pretty absorbed in the characters and the story, but not so much with this one, even though I was really pulling for Robbie to make it home to Cecelia. The ending was spoiled for me by two oblivious college age girls as I was standing in line at Borders (which, honestly... is it so much to ask that people are aware of their surroundings when they blurt out the endings like that?) but I did find it wasn't entirely satisfying either (but then, I'm also all about happy endings). *L* I'm not sure I'll read another one of Ian McEwan's books, but I'm still glad I read this one.

I just finished Julie and Julia by Julie Powell which is a fabulous book, and after that Water for Elephants and today I just finished To Kill a Mockingbird (love that one). Now I am going to read Tathea. It was on the bookshelf at work (usually nothing on that shelf more than detective novels and bodice rippers) and since the author's a NY Times Best-seller, I figure I can't go wrong *L* Has anyone read Tathea?
Old 07-30-2008, 07:29 PM   #685
Rubber Obsessor

Wink

I just finished the Valerie Bertinelli (sp) book, and I thought it was a great quick read, and it hopefully is giving me the boost I need to move forward with my weight loss. I don't normally like biography type books but this was quick. I also read the Paule Deen book, and it was somewhat enjoyable, but enough about how cute she is!! Don't get me wrong I am truly impressed with the way she got herself and her boys out of nothing, to where they are today.

So on vacation here at the Cape and I have a couple of books, loaned to me by my friend, but I really am looking for something else, any ideas??

Thanks!
Old 07-30-2008, 07:54 PM   #686
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamperjules View Post
... the chapter about killing lobsters had me rolling.... (Julie Powell's book, "Julie and Julia")
OOOooo I'll have to check that out!! I like to cook and once tried to make a lobster dinner for DH at the time (not married yet at the time). Anyways, the cookbook instructed me on how to kill these lobsters properly -- knife to the head -- and anyways, it was a very traumatic experience that ended with me giving the lobster to BF/DH to kill in the garage --- we still laugh about it today......

Just finished :
Remember Me by Sophie Kinsella -- liked this, quirky and funny light reading. I think I'll read more by her in the future

The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein -- I was suprised to find that I really enjoyed this book and I'm not into car racing at all, although I do have dog

Just started Lottery by Patricia Wood

Has anyone read Something Borrowed and it's related book Something Blue by Emily Giffin It's been chosen by my Moms Club Book Club to read for August. The recommender said it was the best book she'd ever read and that she reads it every year. Based her description of the story (woman has affair with BF's fiance right before the wedding and the ensuing fallout) I just can't get enthused. Is it a good read??
Old 07-30-2008, 11:54 PM   #687
Glitter Guru

I've just finished reading Witch by Katina Alexis. I picked it up in a second hand bookstore for 1 and I'm glad I didn't pay any more for it. It was ok but not great. I didn't dislike it but it's not one I'll read again. It's about a preist who moves to a little town and has mind control over people and makes them kill the people they want dead, like the husband whose wife is cheating on him etc. He does get his just desserts in the end though. I wouldn't recommend this book at all.

I started and finished yesterday A is for Alibi by Sue Grafton. I found her by accident and bought J is for Justice ages ago, not knowing it was a series so I went back and bought the other ones from the beginning. This was a good easy read with a good twist to it that I didn't quite expect.

I'm now about the start The Savage Messiah by Robert Newcomb.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:27 PM   #688
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_alf View Post

Has anyone read Something Borrowed and it's related book Something Blue by Emily Giffin It's been chosen by my Moms Club Book Club to read for August. The recommender said it was the best book she'd ever read and that she reads it every year. Based her description of the story (woman has affair with BF's fiance right before the wedding and the ensuing fallout) I just can't get enthused. Is it a good read??
I wouldn't call it the best book I've ever read, but they're good--totally fluff female lit. Good for the summer. Both are quick reads.

One of the girls was your typical most popular in hs. Goes through life off of her looks, while the other one has to work her bootie off for everything.

FYI-I think I saw both of these books in Borders, in their 3 for 2 section.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:38 PM   #689
Gallery Gazer

Send a message via AIM to stamperjules

Quote:
Originally Posted by az_alf View Post
OOOooo I'll have to check that out!! I like to cook and once tried to make a lobster dinner for DH at the time (not married yet at the time). Anyways, the cookbook instructed me on how to kill these lobsters properly -- knife to the head -- and anyways, it was a very traumatic experience that ended with me giving the lobster to BF/DH to kill in the garage --- we still laugh about it today......
she uses that method, I think when dealing with her final lobster. I never EVER want to have to do that after reading her book *LMAO* I know they're making a movie out of it with Amy Adams playing Julie. I sure hope they leave that whole part in, although PETA will have an absolute fit
Old 08-01-2008, 08:25 AM   #690
Pearl-ExPert

I just finished Drums of Change and will now be reading Heart of the Wilderness with Janette Oke. This leaves me with just one more book to read in the Women of the West series after I finish Heart I will move onto The Measure of A Heart by Oke and then Kite Runner.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:55 AM   #691
Pearl-ExPert

I am now on The Measure of A Heart
Old 08-04-2008, 12:02 PM   #692
Kindred Quacker

I just finished The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd and Twenty Wishes by Debbie Macomber.

Great books, easy reading.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:18 PM   #693
Kookie Creator

I just started "Walking In Circles Before Lying Down" - Merrill Markoe, it was a little slow to start, but I think I just got into the really humorous parts. The reviews say if you have ever given a voice to your dog you will love the book.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:07 PM   #694
Stazon Splitcoast

I just finished Dark Road Home by Karen Harper. I can't remember if I got her name from this thread or one of the other ones about mysteries. I wanted to read something kind of light and something I hadn't read before. Well this fit the bill...an Amish mystery-romance (pg rated). It was very good and I can honestly say I had not read anything similar. I would definately read another of her books. Now I started a book I had requested at the library..The Outlander by Gil Adamson...so far so good. It takes place 1903, a young widow is on the run and being pursued by her brothers-in-law....for killing their brother, her husband....I'm only about 80 pages into but I think it will be really good. It's easy reading..Anybody else read this one?
Polly
Old 08-04-2008, 04:22 PM   #695
Pearl-ExPert

I am one who didn't like The Secret Life of Bees, I thought it was terrible JMO

I will have to look into that author, Peep, I love Amish fiction
Old 08-04-2008, 06:15 PM   #696
Die Cut Diva

I am going through and reading the series 1-14 of Janet Evonavich's "Stephanie Plum" Series.

I love her style of writing and want funny reads before baby comes along.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:57 AM   #697
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahB2 View Post
I am one who didn't like The Secret Life of Bees, I thought it was terrible JMO

I will have to look into that author, Peep, I love Amish fiction
SarahB2
If you like Amish fiction have you ever read books by Wanda E. Brunstetter? There is also a author from Ohio who writes Amish Mysteries. His name is P.L. Gaus. I have recently stumbled upon these 2 authors and have enjoyed their books.

My Gallery
Old 08-05-2008, 10:36 AM   #698
Polyshrink Goddess

I am almost finished with "Blue Like Jazz" and then may tackle either "New Kind of Normal" or the last book in the Narnia series.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:55 PM   #699
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniesmom View Post
SarahB2
If you like Amish fiction have you ever read books by Wanda E. Brunstetter? There is also a author from Ohio who writes Amish Mysteries. His name is P.L. Gaus. I have recently stumbled upon these 2 authors and have enjoyed their books.
Yes, I have read everyone of her self authored books I also have read all of Beverly Lewis. Two other Amish fiction writers I enjoy are: Kim Vogel Sawyer and Cindy Woodsmall. I will have to check that author out thank you for letting me know about him.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:21 AM   #700
Embossing Fanatic

I've been reading through the Diana Gabaldon series again. I'm currently on "Breath of Snow and Ashes", but am taking a bit of a break form it. So right now I'm ready a "trashy" novel form the library - I don't remember the name of the book or even who the author is. LOL!

My BLOG
Old 08-07-2008, 12:07 PM   #701
Die Cut Diva

Has anyone read "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay" by Michael Chabon? I just got this from the library but haven't started it yet.
Member #1237
My Gallery

Old 08-08-2008, 05:26 AM   #702
Pearl-ExPert

A Sister's Hope by Wanda Brunstetter
Old 08-11-2008, 06:39 AM   #703
Pearl-ExPert

I am now on The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory. It's already proving to have some language and of course I in no way approve adultery - but I also take it in the context of the historical things that were going on - not that I agree with it but I understand the context KWIM?
Old 08-11-2008, 09:10 AM   #704
Insane Embellisher

I just finished Lisa Gardner's newest book, Say Goodbye. It was very good, but also very sad. I liked it, but it's heartwrenching to see so many examples of how one action by a criminal can have such a ripple effect in the lives of those around him.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:37 AM   #705
Crimping Master

Just finished Love Walked In, by Marisa De Los Santos. I really enjoyed this one! It starts out as kind of a fluffy chick-lit story, but evolves into a wonderful story about love in many forms. An easy, enjoyable book.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:22 AM   #706
Hardware Hotshot

I just finished Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer and am taking a few days off reading (maybe I can actually do some stampin'!)...but when I pick up again, I'll be reading Wuthering Heights.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:58 AM   #707
Diversified Multicultural Postmodern Deconstructionist Philogian

Rise of the Vulcans: The History of Bush's War Cabinet by James Mann

Rainsong
Old 08-16-2008, 11:14 PM   #708
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostamper View Post
I felt that way about the movie. It was so frustrating!
Old 08-16-2008, 11:15 PM   #709
Polyshrink Goddess

I just finished The Hobbit and have started reading Lord of the Rings. My goal is to be done sometime in December.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:32 AM   #710
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by missjackie316 View Post
I am almost finished with "Blue Like Jazz" and then may tackle either "New Kind of Normal" or the last book in the Narnia series.
I started Blue Like Jazz, but haven't finished it.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:35 AM   #711
Hardware Hotshot

Just finished, "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan." It's a really great book about two girls in rural China during the foot binding era.

I just started "Mountain Beyond Mountian" about a doctor who goes to poor countries to help them.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:12 PM   #712
Polyshrink Goddess

Default My books

I finished One for the Money last night and am going to start If Only it were True (by Marc Levy) tonight.
I literally have a dozen books waiting for me. Three of them are 9-11 of the Stephanie Plum series so they'll have to wait until I get 4-8. I do have 2 & 3 but they'll have to wait their turn. I can't keep reading the same author. I have to switch between authors.
My Gallery
Old 08-23-2008, 02:22 PM   #713
Watercolor Wizard

Send a message via AIM to lesliemommy Send a message via MSN to lesliemommy Send a message via Yahoo to lesliemommy

I just finished Acheron by Sherrily Kenyon

Loved it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-24-2008, 06:51 AM   #714
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliemommy View Post
I just finished Acheron by Sherrily Kenyon

Loved it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Have you read the other books in this set? I thought about starting them, but it's a pretty long list so I decided to wait. Are they good as well?
Old 08-24-2008, 06:55 AM   #715
Pearl-ExPert

I am reading Choosing Naia, it's a sad book and since I own it I will not be giving it to anyone else except the dump.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:30 AM   #716
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via MSN to slprunning

I just finished A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. It was one of the best books I have read...one that really made me reflect on how fortunate I am.

My Gallery
Old 08-25-2008, 06:48 AM   #717
Mad Swapper

I am currently reading Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer. I got sucked into the other two book and decided to keep on going!
Old 08-25-2008, 08:45 AM   #718
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by slprunning View Post
I just finished A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini. It was one of the best books I have read...one that really made me reflect on how fortunate I am.
I totally agree...great book!! I'm about a third of the way into Heydey by Kurt Andersen..anybody read that one? It's not going as fast as I thought....my sister lent it to me and gave it really good marks. Maybe it's just a slow starter?

Polly
Old 08-25-2008, 08:56 AM   #719
Kookie Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tashast View Post
I am currently reading Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer. I got sucked into the other two book and decided to keep on going!
I am reading The Twilight Series too. I started Twilight thinking good, these should take some time. Yeah right! I finished Twilight by Fri. night and started New Moon yesterday. I read off and on all day. I am hopelessly addicted. I want to take my time, but I keep reading and reading.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:21 PM   #720
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by keplerteresa View Post
I am reading The Twilight Series too. I started Twilight thinking good, these should take some time. Yeah right! I finished Twilight by Fri. night and started New Moon yesterday. I read off and on all day. I am hopelessly addicted. I want to take my time, but I keep reading and reading.

I'm right there with ya! I bought the first 2 books in paperback thinking I would order the 3rd from the library. Ummm, nope! The library had a wait of about 125 ppl. I could not wait that long! So now I have two in paperback & 2 in hardcover. I actually am pulling out Eclipse at stoplights to read a page or two. Don't tell my local PD.