Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-17-2008, 04:08 AM   #641
Polyshrink Goddess

I was at Target last night and noticed Twilight - which I realized I've noticed before and have wanted to pick up. Now it's def on my list of books to get. Anyways, I did get the movie Penelope and on the edition I got it says there's a sneak peak of the Twilight movie on it. Thought some of you might be interested in that!

I'm reading a few books right now. One is The Penderwicks. It's a kids book but is really cute so far. One is The Historian. I just started it but so far I'm really enjoying it. And the other...I always forget the name. It's okay.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 07-17-2008, 09:53 AM   #642
Rubber Obsessor

Just finished:

Lucky by Alice Sebold -- biographical memoir of her college rape. Made me think some and gave me some insight to her characters in The Lucky Bones and The Almost Moon.
Tuesdays with Morrey and One More Day by Mitch Albom -- loved both!

Eclipse by Stephanie Meyer -- not fanatical about this series, but it is an entertaining read. I guess I'm now ready for Breaking Dawn in August. The Twilight series was for my local book club -- a nice summer read but I hope we move on.....

The Host also by Stephanie Meyer -- saw it at the library so gave it go -- I had a hard time getting into this book but it finally kinda picked up. Definitely more Sci-fi-y but has a similar flavor to the Twilight Series.

One the nightstand:
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
Escape by Carolyn Jessop

Library Requests:
The Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult (love her!)
Songs of the Humpback Whale: a novel in five voices by Jodi Picoult
America's cheapest family gets you right on the money : your guide to living better, spending less, and cashing in on your dreams by Steve Economides
Old 07-17-2008, 10:06 AM   #643
Insane Embellisher

I see that a lot of you are fond of Jodi Piccoult(?). I'm not familiar with her. Could any of you tell me what she writes about? Is she a mystery or romance novelist, or does she have recurring characters?

I've been on a Kellerman kick lately - reading both Faye and Jonathan's books. I'm ready to explore someone new!

Thanks!
Old 07-17-2008, 11:41 AM   #644
Die Cut Diva

Jodi isn't either one of those writers.

She writes about things that are going on in real life and does her homework!!!

"My Sisters Keeper" is about a young girl who was conceived to "save" her sister. Think bone marrow and blood donor only to go from there.

"Nineteen Minutes" is about school shootings and when she did her book signing her in St. Cloud, MN she researched the Rocorri shooting along with others.

there is another one that I have and borrowed it to a friend can't remember the name of it but it's about a young Amish girl who has a baby out of wedlock.

She is a wonderful author and writes about things that make you ponder about your life and the what if's.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:47 AM   #645
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephsmom04 View Post
there is another one that I have and borrowed it to a friend can't remember the name of it but it's about a young Amish girl who has a baby out of wedlock.
Plain Truth. All of her books are wonderful. I've ready nearly all of them and LOVE them all!!!!
Old 07-17-2008, 12:10 PM   #646
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramarie03 View Post
Plain Truth. All of her books are wonderful. I've ready nearly all of them and LOVE them all!!!!
Yeah that's what it is. Thanks
Old 07-17-2008, 12:16 PM   #647
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramarie03 View Post

This book was also made into a Movie. I saw it on Lifetime, so I suspect it was a "made for tv" movie, rather than one you'll find at Blockbuster. It was very interesting. I have not read the book, though, so I can't say if it followed the story or not.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:31 PM   #648
Insane Embellisher

Well, I usually like to read for pure escape, so I tend to avoid "real life" stories, but I have to say that Plain Truth sounds like something I might like. Thanks for the info and for putting a new title/author on my library reading list! I will be checking it out for sure...
Old 07-17-2008, 12:39 PM   #649
Hot Wheels

Send a message via MSN to janelill

Hi!
I am currently reading, or actually listening too Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, and i am really liking it! I wasn't too sure that i would, but i do. I've finished a book called The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield not so long ago, and i loved it because it's one of those "old fashioned" books that no one makes anymore. But not boring by any means!
I've also read a couple of norwegian books lately, one of them being a book called Guardians of the Covenant by a Tom Egeland. His books are translated into english and it is just so good!
And then i've recently read a book called The Swarm by Frank Schatzing. i so recomend this book, it keeps you thinking about for the longest time! It's really thick, but not heavy, and doesn't take long to read. It's also a book with a very up to date theme, in these environmental ages....lol

Has anyone of you read anything by an author called Arnaldur Indridason ?
He's from Iceland and he writes the best thriller books ever! Some of his books are, Voices,The draining lake and Jar City. I have the last one on my nightstand, i just have to finish Outlander first!
Cards made in 2010:60
I'm going to PORCHA!!
Old 07-18-2008, 06:11 AM   #650
Pearl-ExPert

Roses for Mama by Janette Oke

The Harsh Truth about Public Schools.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:17 PM   #651
Matboard Maniac

I am reading "The Winding Ways Quilt"
Old 07-18-2008, 08:55 PM   #652
Crimping Master

Send a message via MSN to apigonfire

I am reading Markus Zusak's "I Am the Messenger". Good stuff. It's a young adult book, but I can't for the life of me figure out why it's classified that way - he makes some great references to things in the 90's.

Zusak also wrote "The Book Thief". Also a very good read.

I am on a kick of young adult lit. I know, I know, as a 25 year-old I should probably grow up a bit, but I can't help it. It's fun fluff and helps me escape the drama of teaching.

After I'm done with Zusak, I have to pull out Old Yeller, Shiloh, and The Westing Game to create some novel units for next year. That also hinges on finishing another book for my master's class next weekend.... Procastinate much? LOL

However, I don't let this stop me - anyone have any good suggestions? I am looking for goodies like "Memoirs of a Geisha" & "The Kite Runner." It's been a while since I've found any grown up books that good.

~Kendra
Old 07-19-2008, 12:38 PM   #653
Proud Fan Club Member

I just finished the most depressing book I have ever read "Vinegar Hill" by A. Manette Ansay. It was an Oprah Book Club choice. The writing was excellent, very visual -- but the story was soooo depressing. But I was deteremined to finish it.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:06 PM   #654
Pearl-ExPert

I am now reading Roses for Mama by Janette Oke

and my Bible study by Beth Moore, Believing God

still Harsh Truth about Public School as well.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:00 PM   #655
Die Cut Diva

Location: In a hostile frozen wasteland...waiting for spring!
Send a message via MSN to Dione

Quote:
Originally Posted by apigonfire View Post
I am reading Markus Zusak's "I Am the Messenger". Good stuff. It's a young adult book, but I can't for the life of me figure out why it's classified that way - he makes some great references to things in the 90's.

I am on a kick of young adult lit. I know, I know, as a 25 year-old I should probably grow up a bit, but I can't help it. It's fun fluff and helps me escape the drama of teaching.

After I'm done with Zusak, I have to pull out Old Yeller, Shiloh, and The Westing Game to create some novel units for next year. That also hinges on finishing another book for my master's class next weekend.... Procastinate much? LOL

However, I don't let this stop me - anyone have any good suggestions? I am looking for goodies like "Memoirs of a Geisha" & "The Kite Runner." It's been a while since I've found any grown up books that good.

~Kendra
I love YA lit...and I am 33! In my opinion, there are a ton of great books in that genre. One that I read a while ago (lent to me by my mother) is this one...

http://www.amazon.ca/Does-Head-Look-...6529878&sr=8-1

Its about a young Muslim girl in Australia who decides she wants to wear her hijab full time. Its sweet and funny and touching. Definitely read it if you can find it

And I love Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See...a must read It's not YA lit, but if you love stories about Asian cultures like Memoirs of a Geisha, you will love it.
Old 07-20-2008, 04:48 AM   #656
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownmom View Post
I just finished the most depressing book I have ever read "Vinegar Hill" by A. Manette Ansay. It was an Oprah Book Club choice. The writing was excellent, very visual -- but the story was soooo depressing. But I was deteremined to finish it.
Tell us more about this one... what is the basic gist of the story? Sometimes I like a good depressing book (never fails to make me feel better about my own lot in life!).
Old 07-20-2008, 11:47 AM   #657
Gallery Gazer

Send a message via AIM to stamperjules

Quote:
Originally Posted by apigonfire View Post

~Kendra
I love YA lit, and I'm 28. I think YA almost gets away with more fantastical stories, can employ your imagination more than some "grown-up" books, if that makes any sense at all *L*

I just read:
Jane Austen in Scarsdale by Paula Marantz Cohen which was a very light, somewhat predictable read. Not really sure about Jane Austen in the title as she's only referenced like once in the whole book.

The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. I really liked this book. Her idea of time traveling as a result of a genetic defect was interesting and I was rather impressed with how she was able to keep the story line(s) as coherent as she did.

P.S. I Love You by Cecelia Ahern O...M...G I loved loved loved this book! I thought I'd cry a helluva lot, but I didn't cry really at all. I was laughing out loud at so much of this book.

Emma - Jane Austen. I wasn't sure I really was going to like Emma at the start, she seemed like kind of a snob. But she definitely grew on me, since she did have a good heart and I hadn't really taken into account the social values of the time.

So now I am without a read and unsure of what to pick up next. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 07-20-2008, 11:48 AM   #658
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostamper View Post
Tell us more about this one... what is the basic gist of the story? Sometimes I like a good depressing book (never fails to make me feel better about my own lot in life!).
Did you ever read "The Hours" by Michael Cunningham? Talk about a book to slit your wrists by....
Old 07-21-2008, 05:47 AM   #659
Pearl-ExPert

Still reading my other two but finished Roses for Mama last night around 2am and am on Laughing Without an Accent by Firoozeh Dumas.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:00 AM   #660
Gabfest Goddess

I just finished Same Sweet Girls by Cassandra King. Now I'm reading Remember Me by Sophie Kinsella.
my blog
Old 07-21-2008, 06:11 AM   #661
Pearl-ExPert

I read My Sister's Keeper this weekend - it was so awesome!! I love Jodi Picoult's writing style & it's a great story.

A must read!!
Old 07-21-2008, 07:18 AM   #662
Die Cut Diva

I started "Tuesdays with Morrie" by Mitch Alboum (sp?) last night.

Being preggers I think this is going to be a tear jerker for me...
Old 07-21-2008, 07:56 AM   #663
Kookie Creator

I have been reading a lot of light stuff this summer:
Nature Girl - Carl Haissen - first of his books I have read. Not sure about them, was sort of slow to me.

Fearless Fourteen - Janet Evanovich, the newest Stephanie Plum book.

The Little Lady Agency - Hester Browne - cute, based in London.

Little Lady - Big Apple - Hester Browne - follow up to The Little Lady Agency.

After this I might start The Twilight Series...they caught my attention at B&N recently then this past weekend I watched Penelope and there was a preview for Twilight.

Also while at Target this weekend I saw these books by Madeleine Wickham - who also writes under the name Sophie Kinsella (Shopaholic Series). I didn't know Sophie wasn't her real name and these other books looked cute as well.

I find Target always showcases good books - IMO.

Teresa
Old 07-23-2008, 09:12 AM   #664
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostamper View Post
It was about a very disfunctional family. The husband and wife had gotten married for the wrong reason, and I got the feeling that they really didn't love each other. They have two young children; the husband lost his job, and they went to live with his parents in another state. They did not divorce because they were Catholic. The husband brought a lot of baggage; his parents didn't really love each other either -- the father was an abuser early in that marriage. The unhappiness just resonated from every page.

I kept hoping that there would be a breakthrough somewhere. It did end on a somewhat positive note; but, as I said, it was the most depressing book I ever read.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:50 PM   #665
Pearl-ExPert

I am now on A Woman Named Damaris by Janette Oke.
Old 07-23-2008, 06:57 PM   #666
Pearl-ExPert

Right now I'm reading Certain Girls by Jennifer Weiner. I love her writing! She always has me laughing throughout her novels. She's very witty. For any other Weiner fans, this book is a continuation of the character Cannie in the book Good in Bed.

I just finished The Girl Who Stopped Swimming by Joshilyn Jackson. She also wrote Gods in Alabama. Both were good but I preferred Gods in Alabama. That was a great read right up until the end.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:11 PM   #667
Crimping Master

"The Outlander" by Diana Gabaldon was recommended to me by a co-worker. I am having a hard time getting into it, not sure if it's because of the way it's written, or if it's because I'm tired and a bit distracted with life. I may have to start it over some weekend while the kids (AND DH) are away.
Old 07-24-2008, 03:54 AM   #668
Gabfest Goddess

Just finished Remember Me by Sophie Kinsella and have started Phantom Prey by John Sandford. I love to read. Keep the titles coming.
my blog
Old 07-24-2008, 11:18 AM   #669
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by utahsnowflake View Post
"The Outlander" by Diana Gabaldon was recommended to me by a co-worker. I am having a hard time getting into it, not sure if it's because of the way it's written, or if it's because I'm tired and a bit distracted with life. I may have to start it over some weekend while the kids (AND DH) are away.
Please don't give up on it. That was one of my favorite series. I am waiting for the next one to be released. Let me tell you, once you get into it, you'll feel like you know all those characters and think of them as friends.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:01 PM   #670
Die Cut Diva

I finished "Tuesdays with Morrie" last night and BAWLED!!!

No more sad stories for me in this condition.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:08 PM   #671
Kindred Quacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderdogs View Post
I am reading "The Winding Ways Quilt"
LOVE< LOVE< LOVE that series!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-24-2008, 02:46 PM   #672
Polyshrink Goddess

Just finished The Glass Castle...it was awesome, and now I just started Lottery

Mom to 4...Sean (11-00), Kevin and Patrick (3-02) and Meghan (2-05) and still time to STAMP (in my sleep! LOL)

Old 07-24-2008, 03:01 PM   #673
Gabfest Goddess

I LOVED, LOVED, LOVED, Lottery. Please let me know if you like it.
my blog
Old 07-24-2008, 06:19 PM   #674
Crimping Master

I just picked up the new J.A. Konrath book from the library (Fuzzy Navel). I really enjoy his books.

I am also reading One Tough Mother - It's TIme to Step Up and Be the Mother by Julie Barnhill.

My Gallery
Old 07-24-2008, 07:10 PM   #675
Compulsive Stamper

I just read "The Glass Castle" and it was a geat book. I would recommend it.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:16 AM   #676
Stampin' Fool

I am just about done with Making Peace with Autism
http://www.amazon.com/Making-Peace-A...6546171&sr=8-1

And then I will start
Love and Respect
http://www.amazon.com/Love-Respect-D...6546228&sr=1-1
Old 07-26-2008, 02:42 AM   #677
Rubber Obsessor

I just read Lottery and enjoyed it very much! I found a book at B&N The Ivy Chronicles for only 5 dollars. It was precious. I loved it! I am reading a cathy Kelly book right now. Have never heard of her but some one from a book group I am in recommended her so ..... Just finished Twenty Wishes by Debbie Macomber. Am also reading Eat, Pray Love but taking one country at a time. I am enjoying it. Have several in my TBR pile. SOme inspirational and some just fun. I picked up a Jody Picoult (LOVE HER!!) book at Wal-Mart last week.

Leave evidence where you've been today....
Comments are proof!
Old 07-26-2008, 04:46 AM   #678
Pearl-ExPert

I am still on my Janette Oke kick but I also started Does My Head Look Big in This? by Randa Abdel-Fattah and I am so sorry I started it because now I have to finish it I must say I was surprised that a YA book has so much cussing in it (I thought Muslims were supposed to not cuss), talk of being sexy and of sex, and wether or not god is Allah or the Christian God she shouldn't be taking the name and using it in vain. There is no way I would allow any of my children to read this book, it's hard enough for me to keep going, but once I start a book it is hard for me to stop. This author is now on my do not read list for both myself and my children. I still can't believe it's a YA book! Guess that is why I stick with Janette Oke.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:41 AM   #679
Die Cut Diva

I started "The Sweet Potato Queens' 1st Big-*** Novel: Stuff We Didn't Actually Do, but Could Have, and May Yet"

By: Jill Conner Browne

This is the first one of the whole series that I have read and I am rather enjoying it.

Never heard of this book or author but I picked it up on Thursday at a garage sale for $.50- can't go wrong with that.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:44 AM   #680
Gallery Gazer

Janelill - I read the Thirteenth Tale and kept comparing the story within the story to Jane Eyre a little (and I LOVE JE). Did you find yourself doing that? I actually really enjoyed the book more than I thought I would. I was kind of like a modern day gothic novel.

I just finished reading Julie Powell's book, "Julie and Julia". It was my 2nd helping of the book and I loved it just as much as the first time. It's a non-fiction book about this woman who takes on Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking, and cooks through the whole book in a year. It's soooo funny, I mean the chapter about killing lobsters had me rolling. She's liberal with the language, but I think that may have contributed to my feeling like I was reading something my sister would have written. It's about more than just the cooking, although obviously that's a huge portion. It's also about how her life is shaped by the process, and includes anecdotes about her husband and friends as they endure the Julie/Julia Project. Highly Recommend!!!