In the Forums

Register

Today's Posts

Search


Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter





Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads


 
Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree28Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-23-2008, 08:58 AM   #521
Die Cut Diva
 
Josephsmom04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Central MN
Posts: 3,843
Default

I put "A New Earth Awakening to your life's purpose" By: Eckhart Tolle down for right now and started reading "Water For Elephants" By: Sara Gruen.

I started it last night and I am almost done. I've wanted to read it for so long it's hard for me to put down. I love it when it turns back to when he's "ninety or ninety-three" he can't remember the nurses name and throws fits. Makes me giggle everytime.
__________________
{{{HUGS}}}
Michelle
Website Photography Blog
Josephsmom04 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 11:41 AM   #522
Polyshrink Goddess
 
julie12775's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 1,451
Send a message via MSN to julie12775
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephsmom04 View Post
I put "A New Earth Awakening to your life's purpose" By: Eckhart Tolle down for right now and started reading "Water For Elephants" By: Sara Gruen.

I started it last night and I am almost done. I've wanted to read it for so long it's hard for me to put down. I love it when it turns back to when he's "ninety or ninety-three" he can't remember the nurses name and throws fits. Makes me giggle everytime.
How is Water For Elephants? My mom is getting ready to read that now. I got it for Christmas based on a recommendation.
__________________
Julie -
my gallery
julie12775 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:40 PM   #523
Crimping Master
 
Kjpp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,667
Send a message via AIM to Kjpp
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephsmom04 View Post
I put "A New Earth Awakening to your life's purpose" By: Eckhart Tolle down for right now and started reading "Water For Elephants" By: Sara Gruen.

I started it last night and I am almost done. I've wanted to read it for so long it's hard for me to put down. I love it when it turns back to when he's "ninety or ninety-three" he can't remember the nurses name and throws fits. Makes me giggle everytime.
"Water for Elephants" has to be one of my all times very favorite book! I loved that book right up till the last word! Enjoy!
__________________
Karen
I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink.
Joe E. Lewis
Kjpp is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:35 PM   #524
Die Cut Diva
 
Josephsmom04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Central MN
Posts: 3,843
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie12775 View Post
How is Water For Elephants? My mom is getting ready to read that now. I got it for Christmas based on a recommendation.
At this point I have a hard time putting it down.
__________________
{{{HUGS}}}
Michelle
Website Photography Blog
Josephsmom04 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:42 PM   #525
Kookie Creator
 
jenmaass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 454
Default

I'm reading I heard that song before, Mary Higgens Clark and I can't put it down. I want to know who did it
jenmaass is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:07 PM   #526
Die Cut Diva
 
Josephsmom04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Central MN
Posts: 3,843
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjpp View Post
"Water for Elephants" has to be one of my all times very favorite book! I loved that book right up till the last word! Enjoy!
Why didn't you like the ending if you don't mind me asking?
__________________
{{{HUGS}}}
Michelle
Website Photography Blog
Josephsmom04 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:08 PM   #527
Die Cut Diva
 
Josephsmom04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Central MN
Posts: 3,843
Default

LOVED "Water for Elephants"

it's up there with "My Sister's Keeper" and "Nineteen Minutes" for this year!!!!
__________________
{{{HUGS}}}
Michelle
Website Photography Blog
Josephsmom04 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 04:00 AM   #528
Crimping Master
 
Kjpp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,667
Send a message via AIM to Kjpp
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josephsmom04 View Post
Why didn't you like the ending if you don't mind me asking?
lol! Sorry...I meant that I DID love it all the way till the end! It was a great book from start to finish!
__________________
Karen
I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink.
Joe E. Lewis
Kjpp is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:50 PM   #529
Die Cut Diva
 
Josephsmom04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Central MN
Posts: 3,843
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjpp View Post
lol! Sorry...I meant that I DID love it all the way till the end! It was a great book from start to finish!
That's okay. I misread it. Prego Brain!!!!
__________________
{{{HUGS}}}
Michelle
Website Photography Blog
Josephsmom04 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 05:06 AM   #530
Insane Embellisher
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,131
Default

Just finished A Change of Heart by Jodi Piccoult - I have read all she has written - there are only a couple that I didn't like but overall she writes about very deep topics - that make you really think not to mention the amount of research that she puts into them.............I wish she would write faster but with deep research she does on each topic I can see why new books are slow to come forth. Next in the pile is Shadow Music by Julie Garwood, plus other authors in
the pile Evanovich, Leal-Miller, Deveraux, Robb, Roberts, Steel, Higgins-Clark plus many others............ I get 10 - 12 books at the library a week - just pick the authors I like to read off the shelves - than I have a reserve list of all the new stuff and read them as they come in..........
__________________
Margaret :)
CardLadyToo is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 03:45 PM   #531
Polyshrink Goddess
 
julie12775's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 1,451
Send a message via MSN to julie12775
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardLadyToo View Post
Just finished A Change of Heart by Jodi Piccoult - I have read all she has written - there are only a couple that I didn't like but overall she writes about very deep topics - that make you really think not to mention the amount of research that she puts into them.............I wish she would write faster but with deep research she does on each topic I can see why new books are slow to come forth. Next in the pile is Shadow Music by Julie Garwood, plus other authors in
the pile Evanovich, Leal-Miller, Deveraux, Robb, Roberts, Steel, Higgins-Clark plus many others............ I get 10 - 12 books at the library a week - just pick the authors I like to read off the shelves - than I have a reserve list of all the new stuff and read them as they come in..........
I'm reading Change of Heart now and love it. Working on reading all of hers, so far the only one I really didn't like was The Tenth Circle. Next on my list is Water for Elephants, which I keep hearing rave reviews about. If you've never read The Other Boleyn Girl or Redeeming Love, I recommend both.
__________________
Julie -
my gallery
julie12775 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 04:37 PM   #532
Gabfest Goddess
 
luvs2stamp2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 7,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardLadyToo View Post
Just finished A Change of Heart by Jodi Piccoult - I have read all she has written - there are only a couple that I didn't like but overall she writes about very deep topics - that make you really think not to mention the amount of research that she puts into them.............I wish she would write faster but with deep research she does on each topic I can see why new books are slow to come forth. Next in the pile is Shadow Music by Julie Garwood, plus other authors in
the pile Evanovich, Leal-Miller, Deveraux, Robb, Roberts, Steel, Higgins-Clark plus many others............ I get 10 - 12 books at the library a week - just pick the authors I like to read off the shelves - than I have a reserve list of all the new stuff and read them as they come in..........
I finished that one a while ago. All your authors are some of my favorites. I've read 22 books since the beginning of the year, not to bad for someone with 2 jobs, likes to stamp and stays here at scs. I keep track of all the books i've read. I hate going to the library and getting books, then come home to find out that i've already read them. keep reading.
__________________
Vicki
Fan Club Member
QFTD-205
my blog

Last edited by luvs2stamp2; 04-26-2008 at 04:39 PM.. Reason: left out a word, typing faster than i'm thinking.
luvs2stamp2 is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:05 PM   #533
Insane Embellisher
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvs2stamp2 View Post
I finished that one a while ago. All your authors are some of my favorites. I've read 22 books since the beginning of the year, not to bad for someone with 2 jobs, likes to stamp and stays here at scs. I keep track of all the books i've read. I hate going to the library and getting books, then come home to find out that i've already read them. keep reading.
I read an average of 5 books a week - work full time and like you add in stamping, quilting and other activities including ours here on SCS!!!! I have a huge list of all the authors that I like to read so that I can check them off as I read them so I don't repeat getting them!!! ........... just went and picked up 3 more that came in the library. Sat I went to Target and wrote down a list of all the new titles came home and put them on my reserve list at the library - they call me as they come in!!! Plus I buy from the library book sales plus borrow from friends......... nothing like a good book!!!
__________________
Margaret :)
CardLadyToo is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 06:31 PM   #534
Glitter Guru
 
slprunning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 10,465
Send a message via MSN to slprunning
Default

I too enjoy reading books and want to share a wonderful resource with you: It is a book swap on the internet...it is free. It is called PaperBackSwap. http://www.paperbackswap.com/index.php

This morning I finished "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen and like everyone else...LOVED it. It was a book that I just could not put down and finished it within 15 hours of starting it.
__________________
Erika

My Gallery
slprunning is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:55 AM   #535
RAGIN' CAJUN WANNABE
 
Granny Hawkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: OREGON BOUND!!!!
Posts: 85,289
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjpp View Post
"Water for Elephants" has to be one of my all times very favorite book! I loved that book right up till the last word! Enjoy!

I have it but haven't started reading it yet.

Sounds like I may need to drag it back out.
__________________
"Lord,if you cain't forgive me all my sins,just don't remember them too good,no." "Thank you,Amen"
Granny Hawkins is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 12:00 PM   #536
Stazon Splitcoast
 
Sairabee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Oshkosh, WI
Posts: 18,590
Send a message via Yahoo to Sairabee
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardLadyToo View Post
I read an average of 5 books a week - work full time and like you add in stamping, quilting and other activities including ours here on SCS!!!! I have a huge list of all the authors that I like to read so that I can check them off as I read them so I don't repeat getting them!!! ........... just went and picked up 3 more that came in the library. Sat I went to Target and wrote down a list of all the new titles came home and put them on my reserve list at the library - they call me as they come in!!! Plus I buy from the library book sales plus borrow from friends......... nothing like a good book!!!


I actually read close to FIFTY a week, but they are all board books being read to my toddler. lol.

I have been itching to start something of my own, but am trying to finish up a cross stitch first. Has anyone read Gods in Alabama? I think that's what it's called. I'm thinking about pulling that one out next.
__________________
sarah ~ {my blog}
mum to two boys - one in heaven, one on earth
lebe gut, lache oft, liebe viel
Sairabee is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 03:53 PM   #537
Proud Fan Club Member
 
Clownmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Casselberry, Florida
Posts: 40,041
Default

I just discovered a new author -- Elizabeth Becka. I finished her first book, Trace Evidence, and have just started her second one, Unknown Means. She is a forensic specialist with the city of Cape Coral, Florida. Her character, Evelyn James, is a forensic specialist in Cleveland, coincidentally (not) where Elizabeth Becka used to work. If you like Kathy Reichs and Patricia Cornwell, you would probably enjoy these books, too.
__________________
Lois - My blog
CAS 2013 Winter Design Team
FS139 QFTD54
Clownmom is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:39 AM   #538
Gabfest Goddess
 
luvs2stamp2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 7,482
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownmom View Post
I just discovered a new author -- Elizabeth Becka. I finished her first book, Trace Evidence, and have just started her second one, Unknown Means. She is a forensic specialist with the city of Cape Coral, Florida. Her character, Evelyn James, is a forensic specialist in Cleveland, coincidentally (not) where Elizabeth Becka used to work. If you like Kathy Reichs and Patricia Cornwell, you would probably enjoy these books, too.
Thanks for the info, I'm always looking for new authors. I'm going to check her out, I hope my local library has her books.
__________________
Vicki
Fan Club Member
QFTD-205
my blog
luvs2stamp2 is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:32 AM   #539
Pearl-ExPert
 
miss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 2,817
Default

I just finished Gods in Alabama- I loved it. Great story, loved the characters & it keeps you guessing up to the last page.
miss is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 01:10 PM   #540
Matboard Maniac
 
d3inva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 1,947
Default

I am intrigued by all things espionage & I have started reading Spies in the Vatican- very interesting indeed.
__________________
Denise D
d3inva is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 04:34 AM   #541
Polyshrink Goddess
 
jostamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Scotia, NY
Posts: 1,050
Default

I'm loving this thread. Getting some great book ideas every day. Here's a good one for fans of "The DaVinci Code" and that kind of historical puzzler. "Interred With Their Bones" by Jennifer Lee Carrell. It's about a search for a lost play by Shakespeare with lots of murder and mayhem along the way.
__________________
Check out my gallery!
jostamper is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 08:33 PM   #542
Matboard Maniac
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: On the edge of insanity
Posts: 308
Default

I'm in the middle of rereading the "Outlander" series by Diana Gabaldon. I've also been reading books by Clive Cussler lately; in fact, I've had one from the library for almost 2 weeks but I haven't started it because the Gabaldon books.

I recently read "The Other Boleyn Girl". I really enjoyed it. Haven't seen the movie but want to. Will have to check out the other books by Philippa Gregory.
__________________
Wondering if I will ever find time to scrap or stamp again
Expecting baby #2 Dec. 3, 2011
hunnnyb is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 04:32 AM   #543
Polyshrink Goddess
 
julie12775's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 1,451
Send a message via MSN to julie12775
Default

I loved The DaVinci Code, so I'm going to try Interred With Their Bones. Thanks Jostamper. hunnyb, what is the Outlander series about? I loved The Other Boleyn Girl too, I have 3 other's by Gregory on my shelf, so much to read, so little time. I never thought I would like a movie based on Kings and Queens, but she wrote it so well I couldn't put it down.
__________________
Julie -
my gallery
julie12775 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:01 AM   #544
Proud Fan Club Member
 
Clownmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Casselberry, Florida
Posts: 40,041
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie12775 View Post
I loved The DaVinci Code, so I'm going to try Interred With Their Bones. Thanks Jostamper. hunnyb, what is the Outlander series about? I loved The Other Boleyn Girl too, I have 3 other's by Gregory on my shelf, so much to read, so little time. I never thought I would like a movie based on Kings and Queens, but she wrote it so well I couldn't put it down.
The Outlander Saga is a wonderful series. It's about a nurse from post WWII who winds up back in 18th century Scotland and falls in love with a Scot. When last seen, it was working its way up to the Revolutionary War. Can't wait for the next one to be published.
__________________
Lois - My blog
CAS 2013 Winter Design Team
FS139 QFTD54
Clownmom is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:41 AM   #545
Polyshrink Goddess
 
julie12775's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 1,451
Send a message via MSN to julie12775
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownmom View Post
The Outlander Saga is a wonderful series. It's about a nurse from post WWII who winds up back in 18th century Scotland and falls in love with a Scot. When last seen, it was working its way up to the Revolutionary War. Can't wait for the next one to be published.
Thanks, sounds interesting. I'll check it out.
__________________
Julie -
my gallery
julie12775 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 11:00 AM   #546
Insane Embellisher
 
Stef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Right here!
Posts: 825
Default

Well, I've moved on from the great murder/police mysteries I was so enjoying to....What to Expect When You're Expecting. Not quite the same, but informative and interesting, nonetheless.
__________________
Baby Avery Grace born December 14!
Stef is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 11:25 AM   #547
Insane Embellisher
 
Jen71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: southern California
Posts: 1,448
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownmom View Post
The Outlander Saga is a wonderful series. It's about a nurse from post WWII who winds up back in 18th century Scotland and falls in love with a Scot. When last seen, it was working its way up to the Revolutionary War. Can't wait for the next one to be published.
If I'm not mistaken, the last one was published. It was called Snow and Ashes. I love that entire series, wished it would never end!
__________________
Jen
Jen71 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 03:03 AM   #548
Polyshrink Goddess
 
jostamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Scotia, NY
Posts: 1,050
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen71 View Post
If I'm not mistaken, the last one was published. It was called Snow and Ashes. I love that entire series, wished it would never end!
I'm happy to tell you that you ARE mistaken! The next installment in the Claire and Jamie Outlander series will be called "An Echo in the Bone" and I think it's scheduled for release in the fall. You can read exerpts from it at the author's website www.dianagabaldon.com.
__________________
Check out my gallery!
jostamper is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 05:55 AM   #549
Insane Embellisher
 
Jen71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: southern California
Posts: 1,448
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostamper View Post
I'm happy to tell you that you ARE mistaken! The next installment in the Claire and Jamie Outlander series will be called "An Echo in the Bone" and I think it's scheduled for release in the fall. You can read exerpts from it at the author's website www.dianagabaldon.com.
Are you serious?? OMG, I've never been so happy to be wrong in all my life! Thanks so much for the info - I cannot wait!!
__________________
Jen
Jen71 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:51 AM   #550
Die Cut Diva
 
Josephsmom04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Central MN
Posts: 3,843
Default

I am reading "Running with Scissors" by: Augusten Burroughs

Very interesting so far.
__________________
{{{HUGS}}}
Michelle
Website Photography Blog
Josephsmom04 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 04:27 PM   #551
Proud Fan Club Member
 
Clownmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Casselberry, Florida
Posts: 40,041
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostamper View Post
I'm happy to tell you that you ARE mistaken! The next installment in the Claire and Jamie Outlander series will be called "An Echo in the Bone" and I think it's scheduled for release in the fall. You can read exerpts from it at the author's website www.dianagabaldon.com.
Yep, I've already read "Snow and Ashes." I've read some of the excerpts on her site, too.
__________________
Lois - My blog
CAS 2013 Winter Design Team
FS139 QFTD54
Clownmom is online now  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 04:37 PM   #552
Pearl-ExPert
 
emarj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 2,118
Default

It is wonderful to see what everyone is reading.

I cannot recommend Water for Elephants enough!!! I thought there was no way I was going to like it when my reading group first picked it and then I couldn't put it down.

Right now, I am reading People of the Book by Gwendolyn Brooks and am loving it too. My sister in law tells me that her other two books March and A Year of ....something....can't think of the title are amazing too.

Let's see...our other reading club books recently have been:
Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See (a brutal look at women living in China when footbinding was still customary but so beautifully written I picked up her next one called Peony in Love to read soon)
Invisible Lives by Anjali Banerjee very easy read/love story Nice, happy book.

these are our upcoming picks. we pick well in advance so people have time to request them from the library.

The Master Butcher's Singing Club by Louise Erdrich I haven't read this one yet, but the reviews on Amazon sound great.

The Highest Tide by Jim Lynch

The Girl with No Shadow by Joanne Harris (this is a sequel to Chocolat if anyone ever read the book or saw the movie with Juliette Binoche and Johnny Depp)

Three cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin
__________________
"Celebrate we will, 'cause life is short but sweet for certain." DMB
emarj is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:09 AM   #553
Polyshrink Goddess
 
JohnsPrincess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kuwait City, Kuwait
Posts: 577
Default

I'm reading 3 books right now.

One of them, for the life of me, I can't remember the name but it's a retelling of a fairy tale.

The next I'm also blanking on most of the name but I think it's "Jonathan Strange and Mr. " ...someone. It's about magicians set in the 1800s or so. It's pretty interesting.

The third is "Cathy's Key". It's the sequal to "Cathy's Book". They're "teen" reads but they are really interesting. There's a pocket at the front with stuff they talk about in the book and any phone number or website that is in the book, you can call or go to - to learn more. Just a really fun concept.
JohnsPrincess is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 06:55 AM   #554
Crimping Master
 
utahsnowflake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Wherever life calls me to.
Posts: 1,055
Default

Right now I'm reading "The Host" by Stephenie Meyer.
Books I plan on reading this summer are (Once I'm finished with The Host, of course):
The Anatomy of Deception by Lawrence Goldstone, possibly the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. My co-worker wants me to read Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden.
Oh, and of course I'll be reading Death by Bikini, by Linda Gerber (My Sister!)
__________________
utahsnowflake is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:42 PM   #555
Glitter Queen
 
lilacs75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Waverly, OH
Posts: 20
Default

Right at this very moment I'm reading , "Father's Day Murder" written my Leslie Meiers. It's a Great Cozy Mystery, especially if you enjoy those type of books. She has a whole series and I've read all of them but two. Diane Mott Davidson is also great with these types of books, but I've read her entire series and am waiting for her new book to come out. Teresa
__________________
My 17 y.o. son, Brandon, passed away in his sleep 8 months ago... So, I'm doing this in his honor ...I hope I can do this justice. God Bless, Teresa Bryant
lilacs75 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:51 AM   #556
Die Cut Diva
 
Josephsmom04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Central MN
Posts: 3,843
Default

Just finished "Running with Scissors".

It was okay alittle disturbing that he had to endure all of that. I put the movie on my Nextflix list I want to see how they depict in there.
__________________
{{{HUGS}}}
Michelle
Website Photography Blog
Josephsmom04 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 03:09 PM   #557
Glitter Guru
 
Hearth_Cricket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Northern Chesapeake Bay, Maryland
Posts: 5,664
Default

Hello, just peeking in. I'm currently reading an older book "Peachtree Road" (not to be mistaken with Peachtree Street) by Anne Rivers Siddons. I started the book last fall, got distracted, and when I picked it up again I forgot what I had read, so I started over today. I'm not too far into it, but I can tell you it's about the "old south" and their aristocracy during the 1960's or so. I'll share more as I get into it. I like her writing, but she uses too much profanity for my taste. Some people just can't write without overexposure to profanity...I mean I can see where the writer feels it fits the character, but do all characters need to talk like that in every book??

Am I the only person who feels this way? I'm also planning on reading Nora Roberts' "Sanctuary" when I finish "Peachtree Road".
__________________
Linda's Blog: My Little Yellow Cottage
"I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit;
for without Me you can do nothing." John 15:5
Hearth_Cricket is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:01 AM   #558
Kindred Quacker
 
faithfulone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: my own little world
Posts: 20,961
Default

I think this is a fabulous place!!!!
I love all the reviews and recommendations!!!
I am reading the Left Behind Series now. We are on Book 7.
Very good read!!!

I want to check out the Water for Elephants next, I see it has some rave reviews here!!!
faithfulone is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:26 AM   #559
Polyshrink Goddess
 
julie12775's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 1,451
Send a message via MSN to julie12775
Default Left Behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithfulone View Post
I think this is a fabulous place!!!!
I love all the reviews and recommendations!!!
I am reading the Left Behind Series now. We are on Book 7.
Very good read!!!

I want to check out the Water for Elephants next, I see it has some rave reviews here!!!
I read this series earlier this year, it took me about 3 months. I couldn't put them down, I did get a little bored during Kingdom Come, but I think that stems from it's what people think is going to happen, how it will be. I still need to read the pre-3 (the ones where Rayford and Nicholae were kids), but needed a break.

My next read is going to be Water For Elephants. I just finished Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult, good book but I predicted how it was going to go. Darn it. Does this mean your used to an authors writing?
__________________
Julie -
my gallery
julie12775 is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 08:42 PM   #560
Kindred Quacker
 
faithfulone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: my own little world
Posts: 20,961
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie12775 View Post
I read this series earlier this year, it took me about 3 months. I couldn't put them down, I did get a little bored during Kingdom Come, but I think that stems from it's what people think is going to happen, how it will be. I still need to read the pre-3 (the ones where Rayford and Nicholae were kids), but needed a break.

My next read is going to be Water For Elephants. I just finished Change of Heart by Jodi Picoult, good book but I predicted how it was going to go. Darn it. Does this mean your used to an authors writing?
Lol, I guess that means you are in tune with how they think.

I picked up Water for Elephants at the library, I will read it when I finish the elm creek quilts book. I am on book no. 7 in that series. really good too.

I read the LB series at work to a resident, so it takes us a while to finish a book, we only have about an hour a day to read together.
faithfulone is offline  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote
Reply





Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off