Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-25-2008, 11:48 AM   #441
Glitter Queen

I just started reading "Clan of the Cave Bear"

I am really liking it!

BAD GIRLS KITS
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-25-2008, 12:15 PM   #442
Polyshrink Goddess

Oooh! I read that whole series when I was little (my mom had them so I took them, lol) and LOVED them. Have you seen the movie??
Old 01-25-2008, 02:26 PM   #443
Proud Fan Club Member

I enjoyed Clan of the Cave Bear and all the rest of the series. I had read that Jean Auel said she had enough research for two more books, but I haven't seen anything since I finished Shelters of Stone.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:55 PM   #444
Glitter Queen

Default I hope you liked it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa Brown67 View Post
I just finished The Thirteenth Tale and I absolutely LOVED it. One of those rare books where I was actually sad it was over.
I'm getting ready to start Into the Wild by John Krakaur.
I loved Into the Wild when I read it several years ago. It was one of those stories that I just could not put down and read in about 3 days (stopped reading only when I HAD to). If you liked it, you might like Into Thin Air, also by Krakaur about climbing Mt Everest --- very interesting
Old 01-25-2008, 07:00 PM   #445
Glitter Queen

Default Worth reading

I just finished Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See. it is set in 19th century China, but don ot let that scare you off -- surprisingly easy read about tradition, family, friendship, loyalty and what is truely important in life. Great book.

Now reading a TOTALLY different kind of book --- Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin --- so far entertaining. Would be a great beach read, in fact I pretend that I am on the beach when reading it rather than in 10 degree Ohio!!

Personally, I cannot read two heavy or serious books in a row --- I always read something serious, then something light --- Anyone else like that?
Old 01-25-2008, 08:47 PM   #446
Pearl-ExPert

I just finished Snow Flower and the Secret Fan, too. Great book but the graphic depictions of foot binding was a little hard to take.

I also read The Other Boleyn Girl for my book group. It is historical fiction about Henry VIII's court and Ann Boleyn's sister Mary. Mary apparently was the first Boleyn to catch Henry's eye. It's a long book - over 600 pages - but it's a fast read.

Non fiction I am about to get into The Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan about our food supply and how what we eat is engineered by the food giants.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:59 PM   #447
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via AIM to buggab0o0

finishing Re-reading sleepers... and trying to decide from a couple I borrowed from my mom
Deal Breaker - Harlen Coben
Split Second - David Baldacci
The Holcraft Covenant - Robert Ludlum
Red Square - Edward Topol, Fridrikh Neznansky

Just not sure which to start yet. I'll be done with Sleepers tonight, like 10 pages left.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:10 PM   #448
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjclemlap View Post
Now reading a TOTALLY different kind of book --- Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin --- so far entertaining.
Oh I enjoyed this book. It was such and easy & light read. I read it after finishing an intense book so it was great! You need to follow it with Something Blue. It's the 2nd part to this book.
Old 01-27-2008, 12:35 PM   #449
Crimping Master

i just finished *ladder of years* by ann tyler. she is a great author-she always seems to put my sub-conscious into print. this book made me want to run away and start over somewhere where no one knows me. i really related to the place in a woman's life when she's not needed by her children anymore and they think she's *just silly.* they all loved it when i read stories to them in character and played dolls or transformers on the rug but now they act as if they're more grown-up than me! arrggghh!
Old 01-28-2008, 09:14 PM   #450
Rubber Obsessor

I just finished reading A Train to Potevka It's about an American spy in
Russia. It's a true story but had to be published as fiction and names changed because of his position. He said you can't talk about anything you have done for at least 7 years and then real names can not be used.
I just finished the book in time to go hear him speak at a womens church group--He is Mike Ramsdale. When I was reading it I thought wow, this would make a great movie. Well at the end of his talk
about his book he announced that it had been picked up to be made in to a movie. He thinks that they have decided on Russel Crowe to play his part. They will be leaving with the filming company in a couple of months . He was an intelligence spy for the US and went on assignment many times to Russia and this time to Siberia. It was just before and at the time
of the fall of communism in the Soviet Union. It is an amazing book, and you learn what a terrible life the common Russian people lived, between the KGB and the Russian mafia, they could trust no one. Anyway the book deals with a time when his spy mission went wrong and he was all by himself. The KGB and the russian mafia were all looking for him. Its a thriller. You have to keep reading to see what's going to happen next.
He just recently retired and in his talk he says whether you know it or believe it or not the Russian Mafia has a big foot hold in the US already.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:50 AM   #451
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Personally, I cannot read two heavy or serious books in a row --- I always read something serious, then something light --- Anyone else like that?
Absolutely! When I read anything by Nicholas Sparks, Jodi Picoult, Nicholas Evans, etc. I always have to follow it up with something funny or just for entertainment. A few months ago, I read Cormac McCarthy's The Road and ended up having to read nearly a half-dozen comedy-type books before I was ready for something serious again. That one, I'm glad I read, but at the same time I don't want to read it again. Ever. Or at least for about 20 years.

Right now I'm working on Tyrannosaur Canyon by Douglas Preston. So far, so good, though I'm barely 30-40 pages in. I was intrigued by it because it the setting takes place near where I grew up. Even if the book is lousy, I plan to finish it just to read about the familiar landmarks and places. It is fiction, though, so not a TRUE story of my hometown-area.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:13 PM   #452
Matboard Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to stebwood79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef View Post
Absolutely! When I read anything by Nicholas Sparks, Jodi Picoult, Nicholas Evans, etc. I always have to follow it up with something funny or just for entertainment. A few months ago, I read Cormac McCarthy's The Road and ended up having to read nearly a half-dozen comedy-type books before I was ready for something serious again. That one, I'm glad I read, but at the same time I don't want to read it again. Ever. Or at least for about 20 years.

Right now I'm working on Tyrannosaur Canyon by Douglas Preston. So far, so good, though I'm barely 30-40 pages in. I was intrigued by it because it the setting takes place near where I grew up. Even if the book is lousy, I plan to finish it just to read about the familiar landmarks and places. It is fiction, though, so not a TRUE story of my hometown-area.
The Road is pretty heavy, huh? My husband gave it to me for Christmas, but I haven't looked it over yet, Still working on Nightwath by Sergei Lukyanenko.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:49 AM   #453
Rubber Obsessor

Half way through The Great Gatsby. I've never read it before and so far I'm liking it.

I finished My Sister's Keeper last night. I wasn't entirely happy with the ending. I won't say what happens so that I don't ruin it for anyone who hasn't read it yet.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:01 AM   #454
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by stebwood79 View Post
The Road is pretty heavy, huh? My husband gave it to me for Christmas, but I haven't looked it over yet, Still working on Nightwath by Sergei Lukyanenko.

For me, it was. If you think about it in the context that it could happen in the distant future. I don't want you to think it was terrible, it was a very well-written book that I liked, but at the same time I'm not planning on reading it again. Or at least not any time soon.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:26 PM   #455
Mad Swapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by okell View Post
I've started reading 'Wind in the Willows' again... I love this book.
Hmmm, I've had that book as long as I can remember and have never read it. I'm putting it in my stack of To Reads right now.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:00 PM   #456
Stazon Splitcoast

I've got 3 books going right now.

The Book Thief
The Constant Princess
The Boleyn Inheritance

Just finished Can't Wait to Get to Heaven by Fannie Flagg

Old 01-31-2008, 07:48 AM   #457
Glitter Guru

Send a message via MSN to slprunning

Quote:
I just finished Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See. it is set in 19th century China, but don ot let that scare you off -- surprisingly easy read about tradition, family, friendship, loyalty and what is truely important in life. Great book.

Now reading a TOTALLY different kind of book --- Something Borrowed by Emily Giffin --- so far entertaining. Would be a great beach read, in fact I pretend that I am on the beach when reading it rather than in 10 degree Ohio!!

I just finished Snow Flower and The Secret Fan also...it was a great book! I am the same way you are...I can't read two serious books back-to-back...I am going to follow Snow Flower with Lean Mean Thirteen.

My Gallery
Old 02-02-2008, 11:19 AM   #458
Compulsive Stamper

I just bought The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett it was on Oprah and she raved about it and so did her audience, it is set in the 1100's though, I hope its not a sleeper. Its about a monk building a Gothic cathedral, and all the trials and tribuations the people go through, it sounds good but I don't usually buy back in time books, oh well try something new.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:33 AM   #459
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimble73 View Post
I just bought The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett it was on Oprah and she raved about it and so did her audience, it is set in the 1100's though, I hope its not a sleeper. Its about a monk building a Gothic cathedral, and all the trials and tribuations the people go through, it sounds good but I don't usually buy back in time books, oh well try something new.
I'm tempted to get that too. I do like historical stuff, that's just me. Ken Follett is a good writer so I doubt you'll be disappointed.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:09 PM   #460
Insane Embellisher

TWO THUMBS DOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef View Post
Okay, I really really reall DID NOT LIKE this book (I try not to use the word Hate, but this came close). If I knew how to contact the author I absolutely would. First of all, I should start by saying that the actual story is pretty decent and not hard to read. The trouble started when he based it where I've spent nearly my entire life. First of all, the area he's placed the setting, with KNOWN cities and highways and landmarks, he describes as a desolate place, a desert. Anyone who has ever BEEN there knows it's in the mountains and full of beautiful trees, canyons and VERY green. Just last week they got around 12" of snow. Doesn't sound much like a desert, right? Simply driving by on the highway would have convinced him, had he done it. He keeps talking about how hot and scorching the weather is, when in reality even the summers are relatively mild. Secondly, at one point one of the main characters says "We need to blockade the interstate I40 at the Arizona line and at Wagon Mound." Now, if any of you are handy with a map, please don't waste your time hunting for Wagon Mound on I40, it simply isn't there. It is HUNDREDS of miles away located off I25. I know that may seem like I'm nit-picking, but I'm so disappointed that he got everything so wrong. There are TONS of mistakes in this book, these are just a few of them that really topped it off for me. Ugh. I'm so disappointed.

Old 02-02-2008, 04:18 PM   #461
Gallery Gazer

Send a message via Yahoo to laurakj

I'm working on His Dark Materials. I just finished the Subtle Knife last night so I get to start The Amber Spyglass tonight. So far I really like the series.

I've also been flying through Kinley McGregor's books LOL. I can finish them in about a day. Gotta love romance novels

I'm also not so patiently waiting for the next of the Codex Alera books to come out in paperback as well as the next Dresden Files book.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:47 PM   #462
Gallery Gazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimble73 View Post

I just finished both World without End and Pillars. I read them back to back. Very hard to put them down. Ken Follett is awesome. He describes characters so well you feel like you know them, love them, and/or hate them. I will warn you it did have a little more expicit scenes than I would normally read, but for the most part they did seem to fit the time and realistic not overly done. I don't think you will be disappointed.

I just went back to Anna Karenina for the I don't know how many times. Why can't I get through it!?! Has anyone else read it? What did you think? Am I wasting my time? Why does it seem so long?
Old 02-13-2008, 04:22 AM   #463
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiding in My Craft Room View Post
I just finished both World without End and Pillars. I read them back to back. Very hard to put them down. Ken Follett is awesome. He describes characters so well you feel like you know them, love them, and/or hate them. I will warn you it did have a little more expicit scenes than I would normally read, but for the most part they did seem to fit the time and realistic not overly done. I don't think you will be disappointed.

I just went back to Anna Karenina for the I don't know how many times. Why can't I get through it!?! Has anyone else read it? What did you think? Am I wasting my time? Why does it seem so long?
I feel your pain. I have read it, but the only reason I was able to finish it was because I refused to give in. I forced myself to read a certain number of pages per night (or week) before I could pick up something I wanted to read. The reason it seems so long is because....it is. Good Luck!
Old 02-13-2008, 04:26 AM   #464
Insane Embellisher

I just finished up Still Life With Crows by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. Wow. I know I said I strongly disliked Preston's Tyrannosaur Canyon but he has absolutely redeemed himself, for me. This one was very good, in my opinion. Easy reading but also enough twists and turns to keep you wondering and wanting to find out what's next.
Old 02-14-2008, 09:54 AM   #465
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via Skype™ to dorothyjane

Water for Elephants and I am loving it. Cannot put it down. Before that Playing for Pizza. Enjoyed that one as well.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:44 AM   #466
Compulsive Stamper

I'm reading so many books right now...I have a habit of starting 3 or 4 at the same time...I'm re-reading the Harry Potter books again (halfway through book 2) and re-reading the Narnia books again...I've also started a book called "Princess of Roumania" (so far I like it).
Old 02-14-2008, 01:20 PM   #467
Compulsive Stamper

Send a message via AIM to Cupcake Angel

I have just re-read all of Celia Ahern's books. She wrote P.S. I Love You. Far better than the film. It made me laugh, cry, feel devasted, elated, happy. Her books are all very "light" to read. Ideal if you don't want to be away from your stamping for too long!

Perfect escapism into all of those old childhood things, imaginary friends and places.

Her titles include: P.S. I Love You, Where Rainbows End, If You Could See Me Now and A Place Called Here. I think the title of the last one may be different in the U.S.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:25 PM   #468
Matboard Maniac

I am reading P.S. I Love You, Its very good, Are her other books as good?
Old 02-14-2008, 01:28 PM   #469
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanna106 View Post
Oh I enjoyed this book. It was such and easy & light read. I read it after finishing an intense book so it was great! You need to follow it with Something Blue. It's the 2nd part to this book.
Then there is baby proof and I see there is another one coming out
Old 02-14-2008, 02:55 PM   #470
Crimping Master

Location: Stuck somewhere between school, wrestling practice, gymnastics, and basketball! Go COLTS!!

I just finished read Miss Julia Meets Her Match. I love the Miss Julia series. They are set in NC--I'm from VA and she reminds me of my grandmother. It was hilarious. Not a quick read, but a good read!
Old 02-15-2008, 10:11 AM   #471
Glitter Queen

Default My new favorite...

"Eat, Pray, Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert. It is a wonderful story of a women's journey into herself and across three countries after her divorce. Having been divorced myself for just a year (my husband left after 10 years), I could truly relate to her personal struggle and eventual rebirth. I couldn't put it down once I started. I have given it to several female friends and my mom- makes a great gift. This read was so special to me that I won't even lend out my copy

I have started "Love in the Time of Cholera" but finding it hard to get into.

Also reading "Happy for No Reason". It's a self-help type book but much better than most I've read. Has good research references.

Then there's "Curriculum and Aim" but that's for my master's- wouldn't recommend it (sorry professor)
Old 02-16-2008, 07:34 AM   #472
Compulsive Stamper

Send a message via AIM to Cupcake Angel
Default P.S. I Love You

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberlover View Post
I am reading P.S. I Love You, Its very good, Are her other books as good?
Celia's books are ALL great. Their is a certain kind of magic in all of them. I would recommend them all.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:22 PM   #473
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme32 View Post
"Eat, Pray, Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert. It is a wonderful story of a women's journey into herself and across three countries after her divorce. Having been divorced myself for just a year (my husband left after 10 years), I could truly relate to her personal struggle and eventual rebirth. I couldn't put it down once I started. I have given it to several female friends and my mom- makes a great gift. This read was so special to me that I won't even lend out my copy

I have started "Love in the Time of Cholera" but finding it hard to get into.

Also reading "Happy for No Reason". It's a self-help type book but much better than most I've read. Has good research references.

Then there's "Curriculum and Aim" but that's for my master's- wouldn't recommend it (sorry professor)

After a recent divorce I thought, Eat Pray, Love might upset me. But, I now think I will give it a try. I think I am ready for that moving on phase....
Old 02-19-2008, 12:14 PM   #474
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by lishee View Post
I am reading Facing Your Giants by Max Lucado. It is very good.
I absolutely love Max Lucado. I think maybe this will be my next book to read.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:33 PM   #475
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberlover View Post
Then there is baby proof and I see there is another one coming out
Oh yes I've read that one too! It's just not the the same characters as the first two she wrote. Glad to hear she's coming out with a new one. I like her books.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:25 AM   #476
Pearl-ExPert

Picked up "The Boleyn Inheritance" at the library yesterday, read the first three chapters to explain the 3 main characters - so far very interesting. Went intending to get the Boleyn sister one but this will do until that one is available!
Old 02-22-2008, 05:35 AM   #477
Insane Embellisher

I just picked up Alan Greenspan: The Age of Turbulence.

1. I am a BIG Greenspan fan. I think he is a very intelligent man and did a wonderful job managing this country's economy.
2. I can't wait to get through the historical portion of the book and get to his predictions. I am curious as to what he foresees for this planet's global economy and the free market system that has become the norm almost everywhere (except Cuba and North Korea).
3. Just the opening section with his recollections of 9/11 were riveting.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:02 AM   #478
Insane Embellisher

I have been reading all of Jonathan Kellerman's books. They are terrific!
Old 02-25-2008, 09:58 AM   #479
Insane Embellisher

I just finished The Tenth Circle by Jodi Piccoult. I don't really like how it ended but I find myself feeling that way about a few of her books. I wouldn't call her my favorite author but I can put the book down and pick it up again with no problem remembering what was going on. Trying to come up with something new to read so I think I am going to see what you guys have been reading lately.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:29 AM   #480
Watercolor Wizard

Just finishing The Devil in the White City. Very good, but more of a U.S. history thing on the Columbian Exposition in Chicago in the last 1800's. The best part is the storyline of how a mass murderer was killing young women, and even kids, amidst it all. I learned a lot and enjoyed it, but not for you if you don't like the history aspect. It's pretty much all true, written by a guy (Erik Larsen) who did a bunch of research on it.