Register

Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Get Social

Like Splitcoaststampers on Facebook Follow Splitcoaststampers on Twitter Watch Splitcoaststampers Videos on YouTube

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Like Tree28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2008, 01:00 PM   #401
Insane Embellisher

After hearing so much about Water for Elephants (both on SCS & my office), I have started to read it. So far, I think it is very good.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Old 01-10-2008, 01:10 PM   #402
Die Cut Diva

Just stumbled upon this thread...I love to read!! I just recently began reading James Patterson after many years of solely reading Patricia Cornwell and I'm VERY impressed. I've read about 5-6 books of his in the past few months and just recently started reading 'Lifeguard.' It's good so far!
Old 01-11-2008, 04:42 AM   #403
Polyshrink Goddess

Oh, I LOOVE Patricia Cornwell. Not as crazy about the Andy Brazil books as I am about Scarpetta. The non-fiction she wrote about Jack the Ripper was a good read too. Have you read the Women's Murder Club books by James Patterson? I don't care for the TV show, but the books are good. My only complaint is that the chapters are only 2-3 pages long, so by 20 pages, you're already on chapter 15 or something!
Old 01-11-2008, 06:10 AM   #404
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostamper View Post
Oh, I LOOVE Patricia Cornwell. Not as crazy about the Andy Brazil books as I am about Scarpetta. The non-fiction she wrote about Jack the Ripper was a good read too. Have you read the Women's Murder Club books by James Patterson? I don't care for the TV show, but the books are good. My only complaint is that the chapters are only 2-3 pages long, so by 20 pages, you're already on chapter 15 or something!
I love the Scarpetta character from Patricia Cornwell too. The Andy Brazil character is okay but the Scarpetta series is SOOO much better to me! I really enjoyed reading the Jack the Ripper book. It was very neat how she pieced so much stuff together and completely on her own too. I have read three of the Women's Murder Club by Patterson and I love it! I like the Alex Cross series but I really like the Lindsey Boxer character so I enjoy reading those. I have not even tried to watch the TV series because I doubt that I'll like it. I like to read the books instead and I have my own idea about what the characters look like and I'm thinking that watching the tv show would botch that. How funny that your complaint is that the chapters are short. I kind of enjoy that aspect because it helps me to feel like I'm at a stopping point more frequently if I'm reading on my lunch break or needing to go to sleep or something. Have you read the entire series of the Women's Murder Club?
Old 01-11-2008, 06:30 AM   #405
Kookie Creator

Default Wicked and The Alchemist

I just started "Wicked" and just finished "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho. I'm enjoying "Wicked" but haven't got very far yet. "The Alchemist" is great!
Old 01-11-2008, 09:42 AM   #406
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noddy View Post
I just got Pillars Of the Earth by Ken Follett for my birthday and am loving it! I moaned when I opened it cause it's an Oprah book...Now, I love Oprah but was taking a break from her books cause they tend to be major downers. I read Map of the World during my last pregnancy, what a mistake!
I'm already about 1/2 way thru it, of course it helps that I am pregnant and am in bed alot these days.
If you like history and anything to do with the UK or are an architect, I highly recc. it!
Noddy
This was one of my favorite books. I read many years ago before Oprah even had a book club. I found the historical background fascinating and loved the characters. After having read Ken Follett's other novels, it was such a departure for him.

It's a very lengthy book, but I would recommend it to anyone!
Old 01-11-2008, 09:47 AM   #407
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stamperjules View Post
I'm working on Ian McEwan's novel Atonement. Anyone else reading it? I love it so far... very rich in character detail! Hope the movie will live up to the story
When I first heard all the hoopla about this movie, I was honestly surprised. I read this book several years ago and quite frankly found it not all that memorable. It was a decent read, but nothing special. I always recommend book to several friends, and vice versa, and I didn't recommend this to anyone. Don't get me wrong....it wasn't bad....IMO just okay.

My mom saw the movie yesterday and said it wa good, but not great. She wouldn't recommend rushing out to see but said it was definitely a rental. In her opinion...not Oscar worthy.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:07 AM   #408
Glitter Queen

Send a message via AIM to morgansmom Send a message via Yahoo to morgansmom

I'm nearly done with Wicked by Gregory Maguire...I too had a hard time getting into it, but now I'm really glad I stuck it out. I have a trashy Janet Evanovich and a JD Robb to read too. I love reserving stuff at the library!
Old 01-11-2008, 12:20 PM   #409
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by morgansmom View Post
I'm nearly done with Wicked by Gregory Maguire...I too had a hard time getting into it, but now I'm really glad I stuck it out. I have a trashy Janet Evanovich and a JD Robb to read too. I love reserving stuff at the library!
I love love love the JD Robb books. My usual complaint about trilogies, series etc. is that you have just enough time to fall in love with the characters and then the book is over. I love that in the Robb books, it is a continuation of the story with the same familar characters. You get to know them, love them (or hate some of them), and watch (or read, rather) them develop as the books go on. I also appreciate the way that the books are connected but they also have their own unique story so if you can't read them in order, it's no big deal. I also appreciate that the main character is a strong female instead of a swooning pansy. lol

Right now I'm working on Lost by Michael Robotham. For some reason, I was prepared to not like it, not sure why. So far, I've been pleasantly surprised. It is about a police detective in England that wakes up in the hospital with no knowledge of where he's been for the past few days, sort of a partial amnesia. It's very intriguing as he puts the pieces of his life back together and figures out what he was doing and why.
Old 01-11-2008, 05:52 PM   #410
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via Skype™ to dorothyjane

I am reading Double Cross by James Patterson. Another Alex Cross book. Love that man.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:58 PM   #411
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by missjackie316 View Post
I just started "Wicked" and just finished "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho. I'm enjoying "Wicked" but haven't got very far yet. "The Alchemist" is great!

WOW!!
I'm impress you have read the WHOLE book! (Wicked) I couldn't finish it!! It was recommended to me by a gal a work, and man was it tough to get 1/2 way through it. I kinda regret I didn't just finish it, but there are sooooo many other books that I could be reading!!

There are some other ones by the same author..... Son of a Witch, I think its called. And Ugly Stepsister. Not looking to read either one......

Off to the library!!! I need something to read!!

Jennik
Old 01-12-2008, 10:28 PM   #412
Glitter Guru

I've just finished reading Stray by Rachel Vincent - it's all about werecats (not werewolves) and was really good. Highly recommended if you like that sort of thing.

I'm now starting on Claimed by Shadow by Karen Chance.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:57 AM   #413
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm reading the second book in the "North and South" series by John Jakes. (for the fourth time) LOL
Old 01-14-2008, 11:49 AM   #414
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorothyjane View Post
I am reading Double Cross by James Patterson. Another Alex Cross book. Love that man.
I got Double Cross for Christmas but I haven't read it yet. I can't wait to get to it!
Old 01-15-2008, 09:55 AM   #415
Gabfest Goddess

I've been reading Jane Austen's Mansfield Park ~ about half way through at the moment ~ and have Persuasion waiting in the wings.

Heather

Old 01-15-2008, 10:43 AM   #416
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef View Post
Right now I'm working on Lost by Michael Robotham. For some reason, I was prepared to not like it, not sure why. So far, I've been pleasantly surprised. It is about a police detective in England that wakes up in the hospital with no knowledge of where he's been for the past few days, sort of a partial amnesia. It's very intriguing as he puts the pieces of his life back together and figures out what he was doing and why.
I finished this yesterday and I ended up really liking it. It is unlike any "suspense/mystery" books I've read before. It's a little hard to explain. Almost like Alex Cross meets one of Oprah's Book Club Books. Does that make any sense? Very good, though. The plot kept me guessing until the very end. There were a few places that were a little wordy, but since it takes place in London and I've never been there, the extra conversations/descriptions helped me.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:10 AM   #417
Kookie Creator

I am still plodding through "Wicked" but have started "Plain Truth" by Jodi Picoult and am loving it so far. I think "Wicked" will be one of those books where I read a chapter each night until it is finished but I won't be in a big rush to get it done.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:17 PM   #418
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanna106 View Post
Just finished 'The Red Tent' and working on starting 'The House' by D. Steele.
I loved "The Red Tent"!!
Old 01-21-2008, 03:27 PM   #419
Stazon Splitcoast

I finished After Anne and now I'm reading Protecting the Gift. I read it 5 or 6 years ago, but it is worth a re-read.

Old 01-22-2008, 03:49 AM   #420
Insane Embellisher

I just finished Dead Wrong by JA Jance. It wasn't a bad suspense/mystery. I think I was just in the mood for somethng else.

Now I'm working on The Wheel of Darkness by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. So far, it's very good. It's another suspense/mystery with a worldwide treasure hunt.
Old 01-22-2008, 09:46 PM   #421
Matboard Maniac

Smile Non-fiction read

I just started Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver, and I love it. I've read all of her other books. This is non-fiction and about her family moving to Virginia to "live off the land." The book is primarily about eating food that is produced locally, but it's not too preachy, and Barbara has a great sense of humor.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:22 AM   #422
Glitter Queen

I am reading Engaging the Enemy by Nora Roberts, I just finished Portait in Death by J.D. Robb (aka Nora Roberts) I can't get enough of her. Also, I love to read Dean Koontz. Is anyone interested in possible trading some books, to get some different titles? PM me if interrested!!!!!
~Angela~
Old 01-23-2008, 08:13 AM   #423
Insane Embellisher

I have finished Water for Elephants and enjoyed it very much!
I have also just finished Queen of Babble. A nice little chic lit book without a lot of thinking. Sometimes I need those kind of books.
I have just started to ready Loves Comes Softly. I have seen the movies on the Hallmark Channel and thought I would check out the books.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:52 PM   #424
Polyshrink Goddess

I'm reading Divine Secrets of they Ya-Ya Sisterhood. I think I'm going to have to rent the movie because the book is not anything like I remember the movie. Although it's been a long time since I've seen the movie so maybe I'm not remembering it right.
My Gallery
Old 01-23-2008, 06:01 PM   #425
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:
Originally Posted by munhaven View Post
I'm reading Divine Secrets of they Ya-Ya Sisterhood. I think I'm going to have to rent the movie because the book is not anything like I remember the movie. Although it's been a long time since I've seen the movie so maybe I'm not remembering it right.
Oh I love this book. Although I did enjoy the movie, I thought the book is much better.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:03 AM   #426
Polyshrink Goddess

Gotta thank someone here for recommending "Map of Bones" by James Rollins. Just finished it, and it was a great read! I'm hitting the library to check out more of his work.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:16 AM   #427
Polyshrink Goddess

Has anybody read The Talisman by Stephen King and Peter Straub?
That my personal fav of all time!
Old 01-24-2008, 11:28 AM   #428
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm currently reading The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly.
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13
Old 01-24-2008, 12:13 PM   #429
Insane Embellisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostamper View Post
Gotta thank someone here for recommending "Map of Bones" by James Rollins. Just finished it, and it was a great read! I'm hitting the library to check out more of his work.
Me, me, me! I'm so pleased that you liked it. There are 3 in the series and, of course, my library only had 2 of them. You should absolutely look into the other 2 because it involves the same group of characters. I'm going to try to track down the one I didn't get.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:49 PM   #430
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by missjackie316 View Post

I liked "The Alchemist." I listen to it on CD. It was great.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:51 PM   #431
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisrules View Post
I just started Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver, and I love it. I've read all of her other books. This is non-fiction and about her family moving to Virginia to "live off the land." The book is primarily about eating food that is produced locally, but it's not too preachy, and Barbara has a great sense of humor.

Took me awhile, but I read this one as well. I found it such an interesting concept, but a bit slow it some parts. And it opened my eyes to how our we obtain our food- and now I try to get to a local farmer's market when I can.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:51 PM   #432
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstieber View Post
I'm currently reading The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly.

I listened to that on CD. It was okay.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:53 PM   #433
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
The book is much better than the movie. The movie leaves out so much stuff that the connections between the women are not nearly as strong as what comes across in the book.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:43 PM   #434
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
The book is much better (and different) than the movie.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:17 PM   #435
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennik View Post
WOW!!
I'm impress you have read the WHOLE book! (Wicked) I couldn't finish it!! It was recommended to me by a gal a work, and man was it tough to get 1/2 way through it. I kinda regret I didn't just finish it, but there are sooooo many other books that I could be reading!!

There are some other ones by the same author..... Son of a Witch, I think its called. And Ugly Stepsister. Not looking to read either one......

Off to the library!!! I need something to read!!

Jennik
Even though it was a difficult read, I did enjoy Wicked. I started to read Son of a Witch, but found myself not too absorbed. I finally took it back to the library. Maybe I'll try it again. I am currently reading the second book in the Mitford series by Jan Karon -- A Light in the Window. I am thoroughly enjoying this series. I think there are about 17 books total, so it should take me a while.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:11 AM   #436
Hardware Hotshot

Just finished "The Almost Moon" by Alice Sebold. She also wrote "Lovely Bones". I was rather repulsed by the topic (matricide) but the story was gripping and very well written. If you enjoy psychological and emotional stories, both are excellent! Andi
Old 01-25-2008, 03:52 AM   #437
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyat30 View Post
I'm reading the second book in the "North and South" series by John Jakes. (for the fourth time) LOL
I loved that series Sara! I completely forgot about these books until you mentioned them. I may have to read them again too!
Old 01-25-2008, 03:56 AM   #438
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tashast View Post
After hearing so much about Water for Elephants (both on SCS & my office), I have started to read it. So far, I think it is very good.
I just came back from a vacation and read Water for Elephants while I was away. I absolutely LOVED this book! So well written and such an interesting topic. DH is reading it now and he is really enjoying it also.
Old 01-25-2008, 04:27 AM   #439
Compulsive Stamper

I am reading Janet Fitch, Paint It Black. I haven't really got into it as it seems to be depressing. I usually have at least 5 books going at a time, unless I really get into one. I really liked the book by Sara Greun? Like Water For Elephants or something like that title.LOL
It was about life in the circus back when they traveled by railroad. It was very well written and the best book I have read in a long time.
Regards,
Ilysa
Old 01-25-2008, 06:46 AM   #440
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownmom View Post
Even though it was a difficult read, I did enjoy Wicked. I started to read Son of a Witch, but found myself not too absorbed. I finally took it back to the library. Maybe I'll try it again. I am currently reading the second book in the Mitford series by Jan Karon -- A Light in the Window. I am thoroughly enjoying this series. I think there are about 17 books total, so it should take me a while.

Loved the Mitford Series!